DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Still thinking about an updated top 10 and my 11-20.

How I feel today:

Phantasy Star II
Wizardry 8
Grand Theft Auto III
Civilization V
XCOM 2
Metal Gear Solid V
NHL
Elden Ring
System Shock 2
Bloodborne

11-20:

Braid
Perfect Dark
The Legend of Zelda
Wizardry V
Walking Dead Season 1
Oblivion
The Last Of Us Part II
Mario Kart 64
Cities Skylines
Hardball III

HM:

Blaster Master
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Final Fantasy VII
VTM: Bloodlines

D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
Without thinking about it too much:

1-10:
Baldur’s Gate
Chrono Trigger
Civilization II
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario World
Link to the Past
Mario Kart 64
Team Fortress 2
StarCraft

11-20:
Diablo
Half-Life 2
Portal
Minecraft
Defense Grid
Overwatch
Pokémon Blue
Metroid Prime
World of Warcraft
Ocarina of Time

HM:
Secret of Evermore
Tactics Ogre
Octopath Traveler
Pokémon Black 2
Pokémon Snap
Tetris Attack

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I know that Sunset OD is #1. That’s certain.

I know Like a Dragon is the top 10 and that FFX will probably end up in 10-20. I will make a list this year 1-25 though.

I want to finish Ys 8 100% and get the true ending but that could take another few months.

I could see Ys 8 being a top 25.

Actually, before I finish the list I’d like to finish this year in gaming. My backlog has shrunk and my tastes have changed.

Halo CE is still top 5. Even though I don’t play shooters at all anymore.

docSpock

Super User
May 17, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Hmm, if I revisit my picks...
  1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  2. Forza Horizon 4
  3. Cyberpunk 2077
  4. Yakuza 0
  5. Crackdown
  6. Wipeout HD: Fury
  7. Fallout 3
  8. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
  9. Tie Fighter
  10. The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Dragon Age 2 and Grand Theft Auto V make room for Cyberpunk 2077 and Yakuza 0 while Mass Effect LE just makes the ME trilogy one big game. Honorable mentions go to Forza Horizon 5, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Like a Dragon and the Judgements.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I feel like these lists are always trying to serve too many masters (best game you can buy right now versus best experience of a game at the time being the main tension). Trying to think through what a top 20 might be shaped like but I also want to avoid a hall of very goodness situation.

Also I feel like I must have been drunk writing my 2015 list. I kind of can't believe I have Warcraft 3 that high, even though I love Warcraft 3.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
Hmm, if I revisit my picks...
  1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  2. Forza Horizon 4
  3. Cyberpunk 2077
  4. Yakuza 0
  5. Crackdown
  6. Wipeout HD: Fury
  7. Fallout 3
  8. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
  9. Tie Fighter
  10. The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Dragon Age 2 and Grand Theft Auto V make room for Cyberpunk 2077 and Yakuza 0 while Mass Effect LE just makes the ME trilogy one big game. Honorable mentions go to Forza Horizon 5, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Like a Dragon and the Judgements.

I like really would like to live in the alternate universe where the No one lives forever games had been a huge hit. I feel like those games got so much right and I've always heard that a vanishingly small number of people played them. I don't know that it could go on my list because I haven't had a chance to revisit them in years and they're very hard to get legitimately at this point but I love those two games.

docSpock

Super User
May 17, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I feel like these lists are always trying to serve too many masters (best game you can buy right now versus best experience of a game at the time being the main tension). Trying to think through what a top 20 might be shaped like but I also want to avoid a hall of very goodness situation.
That tension is what makes these lists interesting to me. I prioritize the experience I had playing the game and weigh that against newer games that benefit from improved tech and game design.

Like is Yakuza 0 really more worthy to be on my list than Like a Dragon or Judgment? Ultimately I decided yes because the story and characters are better written and the side missions are more integrated into the overall themes of the game. I also can't separate it from my nostalgia for 80's Japan so I don't bother; it gets the nod.

NOLF2 stays in the list though I can't even revisit it (I've got the discs somewhere but I doubt my Mac can run them) because there isn't any game that supplants the NOLF experience. I've yet to see AI as convincing as in those games. Fighting shotgun toting ninja chicks in a mid-century ranch home during a tornado is one of the highlights of my entire gaming life.

mrpier

Prime Member
Nov 11, 2011
If I should update, I'll need to get Elden Ring in there somewhere. So I think I'll demote Championship Manager II, it's a gametype I don't really play anymore, and haven't played for years. I'll put in some honorable mentions as well to two multiplayer games, that can both can be fantastic, but both have issues where I don't want them in a top 10 list.

Baldurs Gate 2
Half-Life & HL2
Civilization II
NFS: Porsche 2000/Unleashed
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Championship Manager II Elden Ring
X-Com/UFO: Enemy Unknown
Dirt Rally
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
Minecraft

Honorable mentions:
Planetside 2 - Wholly unique in scale and ambition for multiplayer battles, but doesn't always pay off.
Destiny 2 - at its best one of the best sci-fi games/shooters, but suffers from microtransactions and grind for the free to play model and troublesome content curation.

D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
I’d be interested in a much longer version of this topic, like your top 50 or 100 games all time. I think it’d make us think a bit deeper beyond our immediate faves and there’d be more overlap between people’s lists. Might spark some interesting discussion

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I’ll try 50 this year. Still laying out a top 10. It’s a fun thought to chew on when I need a break.

I will make my most definitive, and top 50 list, this year.

SenexBeast

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 25, 2023
Mass Effect 2
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
WWF No Mercy
WCW/nWo: Revenge
Fallout 3