BlackCaesar-THSLA

Mr. Elway: S.O.S.
Oct 25, 2006
End of the Prophecy

Gina laid on Caesar’s back, SportsCenter providing the only noise in the apartment.

“You’re being quiet today,” she said.

“Don’t have anything to talk about.”

“You had a lot to talk about when you got here.”

Caesar laughed. “No, all I had to talk about then was fucking. I don’t have shit to talk about now that we’ve accomplished that.”

“I should throw you out for that.”

“I’d have to take my shirt back.” He reached back and started to pull his shirt off her, but she snatched the fabric away and smacked his hand.

“The fucking curtains are open.”

“You act like your neighbors have never seen ass and tits before.”

“I’m not in the business of giving people free shows.”

“The shows I get are pretty free.”

“Fucking ass.” Gina smacked him on his back. She pushed herself off him and walked to the kitchen.

Dealing with Caesar was still hard for her after their vacation to San Diego. He’d told her that was the end of him and Kaley, but nothing was ever cut-and-dry with Caesar Jenkins. Nonetheless, her patience with him would pay off in a big way soon.

“Could you turn the TV up?” she asked from the kitchen.

“Why the fuck do you want to listen to SportsCenter?”

“Could you just do it?”

“We’re less than ten minutes from the deadline for juniors to declare for this year’s NFL draft and we have our own draft analyst, Stephen Harper, with us for his first mock draft of the off-season. Stephen, what are your initial thoughts on this draft class?”

“It’s one of the deepest classes that we’ve seen in recent memory and that’s without Devin King in it. You can legitimately tell yourself that any of 15 players can call themselves top five picks. The combine, workouts and teams’ needs will determine who goes where but we’ll be seeing playoff teams getting first-day starters out of this class.”

“Let’s not talk about all the permutations right now. At this early point of the process, who do you have going in the first five picks?”

“Texas Christian cornerback Jerome Neff is going to benefit massively from Devin King returning to school. I had Neff as the second defensive back off the board in the ten to fifteen region, but the Saints are going to have to take him at five if he is there. They desperately need a franchise cornerback and I think Neff can be that if he is given time to develop more. The Rams and the Blaze are both going to be in the market for offensive tackles and I think Ohio State’s Danny Rolfe and Arizona State’s Jorge Ramero will go to one of those teams depending on who they like more. USC’s Alex Morales is an obvious top-two pick for me. He can be a franchise quarterback from day one and that’s exactly what the Chargers need at number one and what the Dolphins want at number two. The problem is that you have, arguably, the best physical prospect we’ve ever seen in this year’s class in Caesar Jenkins. San Diego fans would be calling for general manager Billy Shepard’s head if he doesn’t take Jenkins first.”

“We’re actually getting word that Caesar Jenkins has yet to file the paperwork to enter himself into the draft.”

“Deion Jenkins, who I’m going to assume is going to represent his son, is the master of getting the most bang for his buck.”

“I don’t think this is a ploy by Deion Jenkins this time, Stephen. It’s being reported now that Caesar Jenkins has not filed and as the deadline to file has now passed, he will be returning to school for his senior year. I’ll say that again, consensus number one pick Caesar Jenkins will be returning to Tulane for his senior year. We’ll have more on this story as it becomes available.”

Gina ran back in the living room and watched as the breaking news scrolled along the bottom of the screen. She couldn’t believe her ears. She turned to Caesar. He looked much too calm for someone who’d just let the one of the biggest opportunities in his life slip through his fingers.

“You didn’t declare for the draft?”

Caesar shook his head, “Nope.”

“What do you mean ‘nope?’ Why wouldn’t you declare for the fucking draft, Caesar?”

“Why does it fucking matter? I decided not to so I fucking didn’t.”

She grabbed one of the sofa pillows from the floor and threw it at him, “That’s not even a God damn excuse. At least, bullshit about it.”

“I don’t need to bullshit about it, Gina. It was my choice. I don’t need to explain myself to you.”

“You fucked everything up, you fucking idiot! You were supposed to declare for the fucking draft! What good are you if you are in college for another damn year?”

Caesar stood up from the couch and walked over to Gina, towering over her. “What good am I if I’m in college? Why does it matter, Gina?”

“It doesn’t fucking matter, does it?”

“It does matter. What the fuck did you think this was? Your Disney movie? You thought I was going to ride in on a fucking unicorn with a suit of armor and safe you from a life of bagging fucking groceries?”

“Don’t act like I’m the first person to see you as a meal ticket, Caesar. I’m just the one who has gotten the closest to making it happen.”

He put his hands on her shoulders, close to her neck. He felt her tense. “You disgust me. Brave little **** though. What’s another red flag on my sheet? I’ll have a year to change what people think of me.” He shook his head and stepped away from her. “You can keep the shirt. I’m sure you can sell it to some cat lady in Wyoming for a few hundred dollars. My parting gift to you.”

“Go ahead. Walk out of here all high and mighty. You’re just like me, Caesar. You use people to get what you want. We’re going to Hell together, buddy.”

“Blah, blah, blah. No one gives a flying fuck about all that eternal damnation bullshit.” Caesar slipped his shoes on and started for the door. “Have fun bagging those groceries, bitch.”

“You know my facilities are the best there are for showing off how good a kid is before the draft, Deion. Don’t try to short change me.”

Deion Jenkins looked around the field he and another man were standing in the middle of. Louie Bozeman had earned a reputation for putting draft prospects through the ringer and showing general managers and scouts who was and wasn’t worth picking.

“We’re talking about my son, Louie. This field feels a little… sub-standard right now. The last thing I want is for him to make a cut and break his fucking ankle weeks before the draft.”

“I can’t help it if you pass down brittle bones.”

“The kid’s been hurt twice in his life and they’ve both been during his time at Tulane. I’d say it has more to do with their shoddy medical staff than any genes I’ve passed down.”

Both men paused as their phones began ringing, each excusing themselves from the conversation. Deion sighed as his assistant’s name flashed across the screen.

“What do you want, Tiffany? I told you not to call me unless it was important.”

Deion’s grip tightened on the phone as he listened to the assistant. “What the fuck do you mean he didn’t declare for the draft? I have to have the dumbest fucking sons in the world. No, I don’t need you to do anything. If he wants to waste time then let him.”

He hung up the phone and shoved it in his pocket.

“Looks like you won’t be needing my services, Deion.” Louie laughed as he ended his call.

“The fuck I won’t. I have four other clients who are going to need a little refining before they go to the combine. Let’s talk numbers and improving this shitty fucking field.” Deion stabbed at the turf with his shoe. “What is this shit? AstroTurf? We aren’t in 2004 here, Louie.”

“That’s premium grade shit. Don’t go talking about my damn field or I’ll charge triple.”

Deion laughed. “I knew there was a reason I liked you. C’mon, let’s hammer out the details. You’ll like these kids. They are driven and all those other compliments people rain on players.”

GMSFootballa54

Who's Got It Better Than Us?
Jan 4, 2008
Nebraska
Glad to see Caesar call Gina on her gold digging tactics. Wonder what it will be like when Caesar and Deion see each other in person. [face_thinking]

BlackCaesar-THSLA

Oct 25, 2006
Before I took my current job, I intended to get as close as possible to wrapping this up over the summer... Well... about that...

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be delivering the final paper of the summer (no real work until August, woot) and will try to get an update up if I don't come home and pass out from heat exhaustion. It'll be up in the next few days for sure.

Last edited:

FutureIsHere

Oh Hai
Jul 3, 2007
theres the door biiiiiatch. im sure everyone is glad gina got the boot who clearly wasnt the same girl that took caesars v-card. like i mentioned before devin might as well put a ring on it and lets see... undefeated and got 2 nice rings out of it. next season theyll have a seasoned QB in the gun so i expect another run but more off the field distractions. and probably a nice string of caesar, devin, erik going in the draft to wrap it all up

BlackCaesar-THSLA

Oct 25, 2006
One Last Spring

Caesar leaned against a wall, out of the view of the swath of reporters who had made the journey to New Orleans for the spring’s first opportunity to talk to the defending national champions. Per instructions of the SIDs, he was to keep his time with the media brief as they had been clamoring to speak to him specifically since he’d decided not to declare for the draft.

He didn’t know who he hated more, overbearing SIDs or nosey media. He shook his head, definitely the SIDs.

The creak of wood caught his attention as Brady and Jason came down off the stage with big smiles on their faces matching the laughter coming from the media horde. Brady shuffled off quickly past Caesar, not bothering to spare a glance in his direction. Caesar looked at Jason who just shrugged.

“Still avoiding you now that his girl has transferred down,” Jason said as he passed by. He stopped before he got out of the door. “Hey, want to hit Bourbon tonight?”

Caesar shook his head. “Can’t. I have a date.”

“Date, my fucking ass. Those usually involve sex. We know who you aren’t getting any from.”

“Don’t doubt me. Just takes time,” Caesar said before he stepped up on the stage causing a hush to fall over the reporters.

He could see them on their edge of their seats as he sat down and adjusted the mic. He knew what they were going to ask about. They wouldn’t want to know what he thought Tulane’s chances to repeat or how they were going to handle having a target on their backs. No, they would only want to know…

“Why didn’t you declare for the draft?”

Caesar chuckled. “I had unfinished business.”

“Unfinished business? You’ve won a National Championship. You hold almost every receiving record at Tulane and basically have or are close to having all the NCAA records. There’s nothing left for you to do in college.”

“I,” he paused. “had unfinished business here.”

“You’re being called the most galvanizing athlete in the last decade. Did your decision to not declare for the draft have to do with getting out of the shadow of your teammates like Devin King or the two guys who were up here just a minute ago?

Caesar shook his head and gave the woman who asked the question a little smirk. “No, my decision not to declare for the draft didn’t have anything to do with that. I wasn’t sure I wanted to play for any of the teams in the top 10 and forcing a trade would have been too much work.”

“That’s bold of you to say, considering you won’t have a choice but to go through the draft process next season if you intend to play in the NFL.”

“I caught myself watching a bit of soccer during the World Cup last summer and I think after this season here I’ll retire from football and go play forward for the US Men’s National Team for 2058. I think I could score a few goals.”

Pencils and pens stopped writing and recorders were switched off almost immediately after Caesar’s soccer quip. The reporters in attendance knew they weren’t going to get a straight answer out of him.

“Anything else?” He waited a moment. “No? Alright then, I’ll see you all after the first week of the season.”

Caesar walked down off the stage and saw Devin getting prepped by the SIDs after the shitshow that he’d just put on for the media.

“Good luck, King,” he said, clapping him on the shoulder as he passed. “I really warmed them up for you.”

The members of the media were almost ready to applaud when Devin stepped on the stage.

The first hour of this impromptu workout was beginning to wind down and the walk on receiver that had asked for the extra reps wasn't getting better as time went on. But as long as Brady was willing to help him, Devin was willing to lend a hand. He’d stay out on the field all night if that’s what was needed to give this guy a shot at being kept on as a scout teamer.

With Caesar coming back and more receivers coming in, scholarships and opportunities were few and far between for the receivers looking to show the coaching staff that they were worthy of having a year of their college expenses paid by someone else.

It didn’t hurt matters that Devin was happy to see Brady taking a bigger leadership role on the team. The Green Wave offense had always seemed to be one argument away from civil war and a strong-minded quarterback who was well-liked was exactly what the program needed going forward, especially one who was willing to take time out to help a walk-on as much as the star receiver.

Just as he was thinking that this receiver would do well moving to the other side of the ball, Devin was caught not paying attention and the guy blew by him for an easy catch. Chuckling, Devin patted him on the shoulder as he jogged back down the field.

“Good shit, man. I got caught napping there.”

“I almost dropped it.”

Brady walked over to the paid of them. “That was my fault. I led you a little too much. You want to call it a day and pick up again tomorrow after practice?”

“Sure, man. Thanks for helping me.”

Brady waited until the receiver was out of earshot before he turned to Devin. “Hey, man. I got a question. It’s a little awkward so it’s cool if you don’t want to answer it. I just didn’t know who else to ask about this.”

“I’m sure it’s not that bad. What’s up?”

“My girlfriend decided to transfer to Tulane for the fall which I’m ecstatic about, believe me I am, but I don’t know how to balance everything. I was barely holding it together last season when we got into the thick of it and the last thing I want to do is have to prioritize one part of my life over another. I’m not just a football player, you know? You seem to have it all figured out, man. It’s like you walk around with a planner in your back pocket to keep shit in order.”

“Naw, Alessa plans my daily schedule for me.”

“Seriously? I mean, she sort of seems like the type that plans a lo—“

Devin stopped him. “I was joking. I don’t know what to tell you to be honest. I feel like this season is going to be the toughest Tulane has had in a long time. We’re National Champions and shit. Everyone is going to want to put that scalp on their mantle. You just have to put on all of life’s different hats on when you need to. Be a quarterback when you need to, a student when you need to, a friend or a boyfriend when you need to. There’s no magic trick to all this.”

“You’re probably right.”

“Probably.”

“It’s a good thing you came back. The team is going to need you if the season is as tough as you think it’s going to be.”

“We’ll be alright. This is what we practice for.”

The trainer shook his head at Erik as Hasan came barreling through the finish line, quickly coming to a stop and doubling over as he tried to heave in as much air as he could.

"Hasan, stand up!"

"Give me a minute..."

"I said stand up, man! Goddamn we've only done ten wind sprints and you haven't made time on a single one!" Erik yelled as he got walked closer to Hasan.

The runningback stood up and began walking away, his hands on his hips. He waved Erik’s comments off. “It’s the second week of spring camp. What do you fucking expect?”

“For you to not to look like you’d lose a foot race to a beached whale. Did you do anything in the offseason?”

“Get off my back, Jenkins. Don’t let that media talk of you being the most important player on this team go to your fucking head. You ain’t shit.”

“You don’t need to be worrying about me because you’ll be lucky to still be on the team by the time fall comes around. I don’t know why coach recruited you in the first place. You haven’t done fuck all in three years here. It won’t be long before you are back on the streets of Miami doing whatever it is washed up football players do down there.”

Hasan turned around and tried to swing at Erik but in his exhaustion ended up missing. The safety took a small step to the side and pushed Hasan to the ground. Hasan tried to scramble to his feet but the coaches were quick to get between the two players before anything else could happen.

Coach Battaglia dragged Hasan to his feet by a fistful of his jersey. “Santiago, I’m getting tired of your shit! You’re a God damn senior on this team! It’s time you start acting like one and I’ll be taking your scholarship to give to a walk-on who is more deserving of it! Now, get off my field. I’m tired of looking at your sorry ass.”

Hasan ripped away from the Tigers’ head coach and made his way off the field. The entire team knew that his days as a football player were numbered as his career had been in a downward spiral since Devin King stopped him from scoring the game winning touchdown in the Tiger Rag Game two years ago.

While most felt bad for Hasan, Erik didn’t have an ounce of sympathy for the runningback. Football was a cruel mistress. The only one Hasan had to blame for his college career was himself. He might have had the physical talent necessary for the game, but he was mentally weak. He couldn’t deal with the conveyor belt of freshman stud runningbacks coming into the program every year. He couldn’t keep the coaches’ confidence. He didn’t have confidence in himself to get the job done. The Tigers would be better off without him on the squad.

And they needed every boost they could find if they had any intentions of knocking Tulane off their perch as the top SEC program.

"Go on Scott, I'm waiting."

"Yeah, yeah, shut it. The kid is good."

"And?" Deion said with a smirk looking as Daniel zipped another pass between two linebackers.

"And you were right. Jesus Christ, you're annoying. We all knew he was good when he took over last year. He’s a year older."

“A year older and ten years better. This kid is going to bring us back to the National Championship.”

“Cool your jets, Deion. He hasn’t even started a full season yet. Who knows if he will even be the starter two years from now.”

Deion laughed. “I’m talking near future here. Daniel Jackson is going to lead Oklahoma State to a National Championship in 2055.”

“And this team is going to beat your son and Tulane? I don’t think so. I don’t know how they convinced those boys to stay but that team is better than some NFL squads.”

“Don’t be obtuse, Scott. Tulane’s a really good college football team. That’s it. I hate when people say any team of kids can beat a team of professionals.” Deion paused to whistle as Daniel fit another pass through defenders and right into his receiver’s arms. “As for convincing their juniors to stay, Devin King’s a pussy and knows his career has peaked and my son probably stayed because of pussy.”

“We have hostesses like that here? If your boy on the field is leading us to championships then I think we need to keep him for as long as possible.”

“As far as I know, they’ve stopped using recruiting hostesses at Tulane. My son just doesn’t understand women like the ones he’s messing with at Tulane are a dime a dozen.”

“Didn’t you meet your wife here?”

Deion clapped as the Oklahoma State quarterback showed off more of his pinpoint accuracy. He turned to the man next to him and chuckled. “We have good women here in Stillwater. I can’t exactly say the same about the cut of women in New Orleans.”

Daniel glanced back towards the coaching staff and the media horde a few yards behind them. They were out by the dozens and he figured it had more to do with Oklahoma State’s prodigal son’s, Deion Jenkins, return to Stillwater than it did with the Cowboys offense taking shape.

It was off-putting to be under the scrutiny of such a well-respected quarterback, not only at the college level but also in the NFL, but Daniel knew it came with the territory of being chosen as the quarterback to turn Oklahoma State’s fortunes around.

He knew that Deion Jenkins held his playing career in the palm of his hand. A benevolent deity who was carrying him towards the summit of the mountain that was the pantheon of Oklahoma State’s greatest football players, but one mistake would see him close his hand and snuff out Daniel’s career as quickly as it was given to him.

He didn’t want the pressure, he didn’t need the pressure, but this came with the territory of playing quarterback at Oklahoma State University. Deion Jenkins was the gatekeeper and right now he was free to walk through that gate.

As far as first soccer games went, Devin had to admit that he was not prepared for what he was sitting in the middle of when he agreed to go to a friendly match between Brazil and Argentina at the Superdome with Alessa. It was easily the most intense atmosphere he’d ever encountered in the Dome and that included the bowl games they’d played there.

However, he did have questions. First on that list was why the game was called a friendly when the match was anything but…

As though wanting to confirm his thoughts about the game’s misnomer, the Brazilian fans erupted into a thunderous roar when Alessa’s cousin João crushed one of Argentina’s players leaving the poor guy in a heap on the pitch.

“Is that even legal?” Devin shouted to Alessa.

“The Argentinians are pussies. It was just a hard challenge.”

After breaking up a scuffle between the teams, the referee showed João a yellow card for the foul. The Brazilians broke out in song praising “The Devil of São Paulo” for coming to strike fear in the hearts of their opponents.

The singing was another thing that Devin wasn’t used to. Americans just yelled and whistled during sporting events. Both sides of fans had been singing in near perfect unison since they’d entered the stadium.

Alessa and Devin went down to the locker rooms to meet João after Brazil beat Argentina 2-0. Devin was almost ready to say that the Brazilians knew how to celebrate a win better than any Americans as someone who wasn’t there would have thought they won a championship with the dancing and loud music filling the corridors of a stadium known for a different brand of football.

When João walked out of the locker room, Devin had to fight the urge to turn and run the other way. Not because he was Alessa’s cousin, but because the guy didn’t look like the type of person that you wanted to be in a dark alley with.

Then he saw Alessa and smiled. A scary smile to Devin, but one Alessa clearly didn’t mind as she returned it and walked over to him to give him a hug.

“Cuca deve ter sido louco adquiriu um amarelo,” Alessa said when she pulled away.

“Foda Del Castillo. Mergulhou-se. Quis romper a sua perna.” João spoke in a deep rumble. His brows furrowing as he did. He pointed to Devin. “Isto é ele?”

“Sim. Esteja bonito.”

João laughed. “Sempre sou.” He walked over to Devin and stuck his hand out. “My English is not very good. I am João.”

“Devin.” Devin shook his hand. He really thought this guy belonged on the football field, playing linebacker and destroying quarterbacks.

“What do you think of our game? It was good, yes?”

Devin struggled to understand him through his accent, much more pronounced than Alessa’s. “I enjoyed it. I didn’t understand it all that much, but yes, it was good.”

“Do not understand? It is easy. How about I teach you about futebol and you teach me about the sport where you dress up like tin men?”

“What?”

Alessa laughed. “He’s talking about football. You know, the pads?”

Devin chuckled nervously as he imagined trying to explain to João the difference between a soccer tackle and a football tackle and potentially having to demonstrate. “Yeah, I might need them.”

"Where do you think you're going?"

Caesar scoffed at Kaley's remark, "Are you asking me where I’m going in my own house? Well, if you really must know, I am going watch ESPN or something.”

"Fuck that. We're playing again."

"Kaley, it’s cute that you think you can beat me in anything, let alone a drinking game. Was what the score again? Me seven and you zero?”

"That was last week. This is this week.” She slapped the table for emphasis and pointed to the chair on the opposite of her. “Sit your ass down and let’s go.”

"Your funeral. I’m just going to take this opportunity to remind you that you said if I beat you ten in a row then we’d make this game more interesting and one of us would start losing clothes.”

“Yeah, I remember what I said. Maybe, I’ve just been taking it easy on you. Lulling you into a false sense of security until the perfect opportunity to strike.”

“Alright, General Parfait.” Caesar laughed. “If you ask me, I think you want me to get to ten straight.”

Kaley shrugged. “Maybe, maybe not. Now, stop stalling and fill up the damn glasses.”

Since moving into his new apartment in the Garden District, Caesar had been spending the majority of his nights with Kaley, either playing drinking games and hanging out or giving her a quieter place to study than her house with Alison and Sophie.

Their weekly game of Battleshots, however, had only become an addition to the routine after the end of spring camp. It was an addition that Caesar very easily dominated because of Kaley’s tendency to put all of her glasses in the same area of the board. He was really starting to look forward to trying to get her to make good on her brash statement that she’d start stripping for every “ship” he sunk if he beat her ten times in a row.

After beating her two more times, he was only one ship away from that rule coming into effect on the next game…

“A—“

“I think I’m done for the night.” Kaley stood up from the table.

“What the fuck? We aren’t done with this game.”

“Yeah, yeah. Have you seen The Stalker yet? We should watch it.” She walked towards the living room, a smirk on her face as she left Caesar at the table.

Caesar shook his head and downed a couple of the shots left behind. He didn’t know what movie she was talking about, but he was sure he would need to be drunk to handle it.

He plopped down on the sofa next to her, throwing his arm across her shoulders. She raised an eyebrow at him and made a half-hearted attempt to shrug his arm off but didn’t protest when he left it there.

“Alright,” he said. “Let’s watch this dumbass movie but I’m warning you right now, if you go to sleep I’m putting you out on the stoop.”

“I’ve been wanting to watch this for months.”

“That’s what you said the last time.”

“Whatever.”

“Morning.”

Caesar looked up from a bowl of cereal to see Kaley walk into the kitchen. “Isn’t that my shirt?” He pointed to the shirt she was wearing that looked more like a full-length robe.

“Yes. I like it.”

“I let you use my bed. Not my clothes.”

“I wear it everytime I stay here.”

“That’s going to have to stop then. You can’t be wearing my shirts if we aren’t fucking.”

She laughed. “What if I made you breakfast to make up for the fact we, as you so eloquently put it, aren’t fucking?”

“I’ve had your cooking and I’ve had you. If I were going to pick one, I’m not taking the cooking. It’s almost a death sentence.”

“Sounds like you are just going to have to deal with me wearing your shirt then because that was my only offer.”

He shook his head as he watched her reach up to get the box of cereal out of the cabinet and it was at that moment that he hated being as tall as he was.

Last edited:

BlackCaesar-THSLA

Oct 25, 2006
Putting Down Roots

“If I knew I could turn you into Steven Homemaker by bringing a toddler around, I would have snatched one from the grocery store years ago. I’m taking you’re excited about Julie and Ronnie coming by?”

Caesar nodded as the mention of the mother and child made him think about Ron. He was likely having a laugh if there was an afterlife, but Caesar knew he’d also be proud of his son if the videos that Julie sent him were anything to go by.

“Yeah, now that Ronnie is walking someone is going to have to start teaching him how to play football. Louisianans have a reputation to uphold.”

Kaley rolled her eyes. “Technically, you’re not a ‘Louisianan’ and neither is Ronnie.”

“Semantics.”

“Are you taking them to R’evolution?”

“Why would I take a one-year-old kid to that kind of restaurant? Don’t they just eat mush?” Caesar asked.

“So I take you are cooking?”

He pointed to the dishes he was washing. “That’s why I’m washing. You can stay if you want.”

“Sure. You need help with anything?”

“Yeah. You see that chair you’re sitting in?”

“Uh, yeah?”

“Don’t get out of it and come anywhere near my kitchen.”

Kaley laughed. “One day, you are going to realize that I have absolutely no problem standing back and letting you do all the cooking.”

“I should help him,” Julie muttered.

Caesar looked over at Ronnie struggling to get the food from his plate to his mouth. “Calm down. He’s fine. Nothing wrong with practicing some fine motor skills.”

“You’ve been taking parenting classes, Caesar?” Kaley asked.

“No, but the little guy has to figure it out eventually. Starting to learn a skill early ain’t never hurt nobody.”

“You know what? You’re right, Caesar. What was I thinking to worry over my child?”

Caesar cleared his throat and took a sip of water deciding it was better to keep his mouth shut before Julie went Mother Hen on him.

“I’m glad that we see eye to eye on this.” Julie winked at him then leaned over to feed Ronnie. “So, last year of college for you both, right?”

“First year of law school.” Kaley sighed, nodding to the books that were spread across the coffee table in the living room.

Caesar shrugged. “If you want to call it another year of college. I’ve pretty much graduated but take a slack schedule to focus on football.”

“Focus? They were slating you the other day on ESPN for still being shy of all the receiving records,” Julie said.

“What you know about ESPN and college football, woman?”

“I got a kid and am still struggling to find a job. I have a lot of time on my hands and I can’t only watch sappy movies like you’d expect, you damn Neanderthal. They love talking about you staying for your senior season. It’s ridiculous.”

“I don’t blame them. I’m a pretty big deal.”

“Big deal, my ass. You haven’t done fuck all for two years compared to your first season.”

“She has a point,” Kaley said.

Caesar looked at Kaley who only shrugged and continued eating. He shook his head.

“Fuck both of you. I’m the best to ever lace ‘em up. Isn’t that right, Ronnie?” Caesar reached out and ruffled the toddler’s hair causing him to burst into a fit of giggles. “At least, I have one person on my side.”

“Don’t flatter yourself. He giggles at everything and everyone,” Julie said with a plain face.

“Caesar, I have a theory about why you haven’t played as well these past two seasons,” Kaley said.

“Damn women giving me advice on football.” He shook his head. “What’s your theory?”

“You don’t have the same attitude on the field anymore… at least from what I’ve seen. You’re not as cocky.”

“Because that got me suspended.”

“Well, now you’re like a president they can’t impeach because he’s going to leave at the end of the year anyway.”

Caesar scoffed. “Please, with Jason out there, they’d have no problem suspending me.”

“I think she’s on to something, Caesar. You’re playing with house money, right? No one expected you to stay. Might as well make the most of it.”

Kaley pointed to Julie and nodded. “She gets it. If you have a big game going back to your old ways on the field then they won’t care. Just make sure you keep that shit on the field, because it wasn’t cute off it.”

“If I do that shit and get my ass suspended again, I’ll know who to blame.”

“You cook and clean up after? I might have to nix that plan to find a man and just bring you home to mom.” Julie laughed as she walked into the kitchen. “You’re already house trained.”

Caesar looked over his shoulder at her. “I think you and Kaley are spending too much time around each other. A man can’t cook in peace. A man can’t clean his house in peace. I’m about to throw both of your asses out on the street.” He noticed she didn’t have a child attached to her hip. “Where’s Ronnie?”

Julie jabbed her thumb over the shoulder towards the sofa in the living room where Ronnie was sound asleep on Kaley’s shoulder. She got closer to him so she could lower her voice. “She’s a natural with him. You should keep that in mind.”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself. I’m satisfied being a vicarious parent through you.”

“You can take him anytime you want if you want to give parenting an actual go.”

Caesar chuckled. “I might do that. I can get some brownie points from instructors if I tell them I’m a single father.”

“Could work.” Julie’s laughter died down and she put her a hand on Caesar’s shoulder. “I’m proud of you.”

He raised an eyebrow, taken back by the compliment. “Thanks, I guess?”

“I know I’ve only known you for a year or two, but you’ve matured a lot in that time. Changed, for the better. I don’t think the Caesar Jenkins I met on that day would be so open to taking me and my son in.”

“C’mon. You know I love you guys. You’re like a sister to me, Julie.”

“I know. I’m proud of you for realizing you were being a dick to Kaley, too, and getting rid of that gold digging bitch. You need to tell Kaley why you stayed though. You two practically live together already. Stop pussy footing around it.”

“I’m not pussy footing around anything.”

“The words of a guilty man. It’s very un-Caesarlike. Aren’t you supposed to be able to talk the panties off a nun? I guess Ron was wrong about one thing.”

“You’re going to tell me everything he told you about me, one day.”

“Maybe. Mind if I use one of the beds in here to sleep off that meal? I’m sure none of them have been… soiled.”

Caesar sighed. “You can use the guest bedroom with the shitty sheets for that quip.”

Julie laughed and shrugged. “I’ve slept in a dirt hole before. ‘Cheap’ sheets will do me fine.”

Stress was probably the number one killer of college students, especially student-athletes. The rigors of classes, practices, games, film study, and life in general, would drive the most lax students insane. However, as Devin lay on the couch, watching ESPN and listening to her sing some song in Portuguese as she cleaned the apartment, he knew there weren’t many things that could burst his bubble in the last few months of his college career.

Alessa stopped singing and stepped in front of the TV. “You live here, too. You can clean every so often.”

“I’m not going to stop you from cleaning the invisible dirt you always seem to find. I’m also not going to join you in that. I don’t have the eyes for it. Everything looks clean to me.”

“Limpo até que o apunhale para ser loquaz.”

Devin shook his head. “One of these days, you are going to say something in Portuguese and I’m going to shock you with some of my own.”

“I’ll pay for your lessons. You’re too old to learn a language quickly.”

“You just wait. I’ll go spend next summer in Brazil with João and come back fluent.”

“Do you plan on making skipping training camp the first thing you do in the NFL?”

“No, I’m giving it up. I’m planning on being a stay-at-home dad. I could probably sell enough autographs after this season to set myself up for life.”

“Well, I pray for your wife because you don’t know how to cook or clean. Who knows what you will be doing all day?” Alessa laughed as she went back to cleaning.

There were times when Devin wished he could step out of the limelight and actually pursue a “career” of being a stay-at-home dad, but after putting in so much time on the field to get to this point, he knew he would be letting himself down if he never suited up for an NFL team.

The thought reminded him of Hasan, barely hanging on to a roster spot if the reports coming out of Baton Rouge were anything to go by. Something made him make the decision to throw away the opportunity he was given. Long gone was the guy Devin considered his best friend in high school, replaced by one that couldn’t seem to find enough ways to screw his life up.

Devin noticed Alessa hadn’t started singing again and also that her mood seemed dampened.

He sat up. “What’s wrong?”

“It is nothing.”

“Yeah, yeah. Come here. Tell me what’s on your mind.”

Alessa sat down on the coffee table across from him. “What happens to us when you go to the NFL? I’ve told you before that I am not going to make a good trophy wife. I want a career of my own and the NFL doesn’t exactly have a lot of job stability. One day, you play in Los Angeles and the next, you play in North Carolina or Green Bay.”

“Do you trust me, Alessa?”

“Yes. Of course, I do.”

“Do you think I’m a good football player?”

“Yes, but I don—“

“Then trust me when I say that it’s highly unlikely that I will be moving from team to team in my NFL career. At this point, I’m confident enough in what I can do on that field to know that some team out there is going to feel like they need me more than I need them. I’ll be able to play in one place for fifteen years if I wanted.”

“You didn’t answer what happens to us. I don’t want to wait until May to find out that you don’t think this is going to work.”

Devin covered her hands with his. “Football is football. I can play football anywhere. You know how I feel about you. I plan to keep your crazy Portuguese ass around for a while. I’ll be rich. It won’t be that hard to buy multiple houses in different cities. Where do you want to live? Here? Brazil? Canada?”

“Why would anyone want to live in Canada?” Alessa raised an eyebrow. “I’ve never seen snow and I would like to keep it that way.”

“Don’t ruin the moment. I’m serious. Maybe we’ll have to spend half of the year apart. Maybe we won’t. You can have everything you want. I won’t stop you, but I want you to be a part of those life plans. Hell, I’d marry you now if I wasn’t broke.”

Alessa poked him in the shoulder. “Right, because I am only getting married in a church with an extravagant wedding, senhor.”

“I remember. Roman Catholic, priests, Jesus, Latin, the whole nine.”

“Good. I’ve taught you well. Maybe you are worth keeping around.”

“Does that mean I can get a meal soon?”

“Not a chance. You know where the takeout menus are.”

JediPIMP5

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 17, 2004
Missed this also, awesome read for yet another snowed-in saturday in the north pole! It's like you never stopped, Thanls BC

BlackCaesar-THSLA

Oct 25, 2006
The Dark Horse

Sports were full of clichés and the Green Wave knew they had become one as they were sitting in their locker room only moments from the opening kick of the 2055 season. After a meteoric rise from the boundary between middle of the road and elite to defending national champions in three years, they knew that every team would be looking for a nice mantel piece when Tulane rolled into town.

But despite what they had done in that time, pundits hadn’t picked them to be defending their crown in front of their home fans at the end of the season. They hadn’t even picked them to make it out of the first three games of the season with a winning record. Away trips to perennial powerhouses San Diego State and TCU were believed to be too touch a challenge for a team using house money.

Vegas and the media might have tabbed them as “dark horses” to start the season, but no one in that locker room believed that… especially not Rock Hall.

“Brady, c’mere!”

Brady jogged back over to the sideline and leaned in towards his coach, the Tulane home crowd deafening as the offense took the field for their first chance to see the year-older-but-not-any-less-vaunted Green Wave offense in an actual game.

“Go for their throat. Remind them who they are playin’.”

“Sophomore Brady Rodgers breaks the huddle looking to build on an impressive first year in New Orleans. Four receivers in the set with junior Desmond Smith joining Rodgers in the backfield. The one to watch, Caesar Jenkins, is split out to the left with Jason Williams.”

“I don’t think Mississippi State has enough defensive backs on the field to handle this formation, Kenny.”

“Williams comes in motion to the opposite side of the field. Rodgers making some changes at the line. Clean snap, Rodgers fakes to Smith. Good protection for the sophomore who steps up and launches a rainbow downfield. It drops right over Jenkins’ shoulder and into the surest hands in the country at the forty-five. Curtis Rodriguez tries to dive at his feet, but he steps out of the tackle and he’s off to the races! Forty, thirty, twenty… Listen to this crowd! Touchdown Tulane! One play, one score! The Green Wave are picking up right where they left off last season!”

“There’s a little vintage Caesar Jenkins. Easy catch, break a tackle, out run everyone on the field, then spike the ball and point as if to say ‘it’s his house?’ He’s lucky the referees aren’t trying to begin the season calling unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.”

“He really knows how to play to the crowd, Jim.”

“He’s the type of player that drove me out of coaching, Kenny.”

After Tulane’s 56-9 demolition of Mississippi State to open the season, some players were less pleased with the antics of the Green Wave’s star receiver who had reeled in three touchdowns against the Bulldogs.

“We’re a fucking team. He doesn’t catch the fucking ball if I don’t throw it to him. All that celebrating is unnecessary. It’s easy to say act like you’ve been there before but we’re talking about a guy who is a few touchdowns away from breaking the record for most in a career! He’s been there more than ANYBODY! And this was a fucking blowout!”

Bridgette watched her boyfriend pace around his room knowing it was better to let Brady blow off steam regarding Caesar Jenkins than try to reason with him. However, she would be the first to admit that she wasn’t on the Caesar Jenkins bandwagon. His elitist attitude rubbed her the wrong way despite most people saying it wasn’t nearly as bad as it was in his earlier years at Tulane.

Brady stopped pacing and leaned over his laptop. He poked the screen displaying an ESPN headline calling Caesar an early Heisman favorite. “How can a receiver be a Heisman favorite? That’s probably why he came back. He was pissed off that Devin won a Heisman and just wants the personal awards. We’re going to lose a game because he’ll be trying to do too much.”

There were times when she regretted transferring to Tulane to be with Brady. Things were easy when they were in high school, perfect almost. He definitely didn’t have to deal with any primadonna receivers giving him headaches. Maybe things would get better when Mr. Jenkins graduated.

“The energy has been completely sucked out of this stadium here towards the end of the third quarter. You’d be hard pressed to convince anyone that there are upwards of 70,000 people watching this game.”

“That’s because it’s been domination from the off. San Diego State hasn’t crossed midfield, quarterback Bart Bond has already thrown four interceptions, and let’s not forget that this Green Wave team already has 38 points against what was predicted to be one of the best defenses in the country.”

“Tulane seems to have taken offense to analysts saying they would have a tough time coming here and doing what they have done to so many other teams over the past few years.”

“Of course people thought it would be tough. The Aztecs have only lost six games at home in the last decade and four of those games were against USC. I don’t think it was meant as any disrespect to the Green Wave. It’s just harder to defend a championship than it is to win the first one. There haven’t been too many back-to-back champions.”

“It seems like a foregone conclusion at this point, though, doesn’t it? You have a roster that knows how to win and Caesar Jenkins already has 5 touchdowns. This is the player we saw when he was a freshman, disappeared for a year, sorta came back last year and now looks to be back with a vengeance.”

“Well, people were expecting to get this for three years out of him so I guess he came back for his senior year to make good on the expectations.”

“You think he has a shot at being in New York come December?”

“If Devin King can win the Heisman as a cornerback, then I think Caesar Jenkins can be a finalist as a wide receiver.”

Caesar yawned as he walked into the house, his muscles and joints beginning to feel sore from the rigors of a football game followed by the team catching a red eye back to New Orleans after their win against San Diego State. He’d tried to catch a bit of sleep on the plane, but he always found himself too tall to get comfortable on commercial liners.

As he walked towards his bedroom, he mentally congratulated himself on the wise decision to move out of the dorms. He wasn’t in the mood for raucous college students returning home from a night of partying in the wee Sunday hours.

He was moments from plopping down on his California King when he realized it was already occupied and covered in books. Chuckling, he picked up the books and tossed them on the floor.

Kaley sat up, eyes wide, looking for the source of the racket. When she realized it was Caesar, she sighed and shook her head. “Sorry about falling asleep in your bed. I couldn’t study in the guest room with your neighbors at each other’s throats.”

“You’d think living in the Garden District would mean quieter neighbors.”

“Yeah, go figure.” Kaley swung her feet out of the bed to get up. “It’s all yours.”

“No, you can stay. That thing is seven feet across. I’m pretty sure we can manage.”

She shrugged and laid back once more, rolling on her side to look out the window until she fell back to sleep. She had just closed her eyes when an arm draped over her waist and pulled her back. “This wasn’t part of the deal, buddy,” she said half-heartedly.

“Come on. I just spent the last three hours of my day getting hit by grown men, some of who probably haven’t had a decent bath in months. The least you could allow me is someone soft to hold on to while I sleep.”

“Are you trying to say I’m getting fat?”

Caesar poked her stomach. “You could stand to eat fewer cheeseburgers.”

She swung her hand over her shoulder hoping to come in contact with any part of his head. “Fuck you. Clearly, you don’t have a problem with it.”

Caesar only chuckled.

“You know you’re all anyone around here wants to talk about, right?”

“I’ve always been pretty popular.”

“You know what I mean. I’m getting pretty tired of hearing people talk about Tulane football in every store I go in, but it’s not the whole team. People are talking about you specifically, good or bad.”

He sighed. “Mostly bad, but I never could be America’s sweetheart Devin King.”

Kaley rolled her eyes even though she knew he couldn’t see her do it. “I went back to my place today to pick up my books and that guy Alison’s ‘dating’ now was talking about you winning all these awards and going first in the draft next year.”

“He’s not getting good information then. I’m just a dark horse for everything according to the media.”

“Whatever. I might not be a football expert but from being around you for so long, I know that pro teams have been waiting a long time for you to get out of college.” She turned onto her back so she could look at him. “I just want you to know I’m not doing this because I think I’ve won the golden ticket or anything like that.”

“We’ve broken up multiple times, Kaley. You’ve made that pretty clear already. Besides, I might be keeping you around to get my hands on all that lawyer money you’re going to be making soon.”

She laughed. “Good luck with that. I might take up bagging groceries instead.”

Caesar shook his head at the poorly veiled jab at Gina. To say he and Kaley’s relationship was haphazardly outlined in terms of boundaries would be an understatement, but it seemed to be a mutual understanding where they stood with one another. After so many years of gravitating towards one another, they didn’t need grand declarations of undying love or titles. They worked together and that’s all there was to it.