Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZilch

No Longer a Noob
May 30, 2001
As a Marvel fan, I have to agree with Johns -- DC's characters are BIGGER, largely because they're older (having been around almost twice as long as most of Marvel's characters.)

But that doesn't make them BETTER. As he said, they largely function as symbols rather than actual characters with flaws, quicks, or personality. They're iconic ... at the expense of being significantly less interesting on the whole.

DJ_BUDDAH

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 9, 2004
I agree with MrZilch , they seem to leave a bigger impression , if you asked anyone off the street to name super heros, dimes to dollars Batman and Superman would be up there with Spidey and Wolverine, but ask any comic book nerd your gonna get diff answers , wow was that a load comment or what lol (p.s. Spawn pwns)

sonic_429

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2010
I'm torn, I like both to be honest. Batman, by far is my favorite comic book hero, it's so dark and has some of the most twisted villans, that and he's just a regular guy, he doesn't have any super powers. Love the superfirends, cheesy as hell, but has this vinage vibe that makes it like the old school comics, which is what it's all about. That being said, I don't care for superman, too...perfect, pretty boyish, almost cliche.
The Marvel characters somewhat fall inbetween batman and superman, xmen, spiderman, hulk, etc, I think they're cool, even if their movies are whored out too much by marvel. If I had to pick one, I like DC better.

MattyMech

Noob
Oct 11, 2010
Haha, what a bold statement. They have had more movies of their heroes out way earlier than marvel so people may know them more, but most were horrible. I don't think I've ever really liked a DC hero, especially compared to Marvel's. All their heroes are like indestructible and/or something like intellectual billionaires with 1-2 weaknesses and these ridiculous high-tech bases. I'm not saying Marvel doesn't have the same thing, but I like how a lot of Marvel's heroes all have different unique powers that require teamwork to pull through. They really try to make heroes like batman so badass when in reality, it seems almost any hero with a power should be able to destroy him if they wanted.

TheDush

Noob
Jul 7, 2010
Without a doubt Superman and Batman are way more iconic than anything Marvel has.
Spiderman is really, really popular but in an everyman's superhero kind of way.
And I'd say before the movies, characters like The Flash and Green Lantern were way bigger than ones like Iron Man or The X-Men. But marketing and pop-culture changed that.

C-Note777

Noob
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, because "mashing" characters that actually live in the same universe is a bad idea.
Keeping a hero confined to his or her own little world is the way to go, nevermind that sales will skyrocket with "mash-ups".

Granted, I do love a few DC heros (Batman being the greatest), I've always preferred Marvel.
I've always perceived Marvel as more daring and risque. I love that. DC should take note.

Oct 18, 2008
InvoluntaryThemThief said:
They're iconic rather than relatable. And that is why they fail.
Fail? What universe do you live in? They've never been failures. And Batman Returns definitely revived the DC Universe. In fact, it set a new benchmark for those kinds of movies.

Oct 18, 2008
C-Note777 said:
Yeah, because "mashing" characters that actually live in the same universe is a bad idea.
Keeping a hero confined to his or her own little world is the way to go, nevermind that sales will skyrocket with "mash-ups".
Who cares about the sales? In the comic books, they do have those mash-ups, but on the screen, it won't work. It looks silly, all these characters with superpowers, in bright costumes. There's too much going on visually. However, individually, color schemes in the set design and cinematography can be established to absorb it all. As a group, it's visually too noisy, and any atmosphere is surely to evaporate in light of all that chaos.

In the cinematic Batman, there is no Superman; and vise versa. I prefer to keep it that way. I'm not one bit interested in The Avengers, though I've enjoyed the Hulk and Iron Man movies, and I'll probably like Thor (Captain American, not so much). I prefer the characters be treated something akin to science fiction, existing in that frame of time only.

Aug 23, 2008
i can understand the "iconic but unrelatable" sentiment, but i wouldn't necessarily consider it a fault. we need heroes we can cheer for and high-five AND heroes we don't fully understand and are secretly intimidated by. it keeps things three-dimensional.

Aug 16, 2010
Alric...you are in the vast minority....

Marvel is showing how it is completely plausible to all be in the same universe....DC is just pissed that they failed once again...

lolo1983

Noob
Oct 10, 2010
I have read comics off and on. I grew up reading from both Marvel and DC. Both in my opinion are awesome and the fact that the most of the comic book movies that are being made are getting made beautifully. I will say this can't wait to see the GL movie. Should be great. I also would love to see Marvel's Civil War storyline and DC's Blackest Night storline on the bigscreen. That'd be damn good.

dpl887

Noob
Jan 14, 2010
both are cool, but the way marvel has been making movies lately is horrible. Its like they were on the right track with spiderman and (sort of) x men, but then things just fell off. Fantastic four, elektra, hulk, thor (isnt even out yet but trailer looked horrible), and dare i say, daredevil? All of these movies fell into the "cheesy nerd-fest" crap category. Why? Because they stopped taking them seriously. I hate to play the dark knight card but honestly, thats what kind of a movie you get when you get people who care about what theyre making.

Silasdoom

Noob
Oct 31, 2008
@dpl887

well, yes, but it doesn't really seem fair. Those films you've named are rubbish. But the Iron Man films are pretty fantastic and the latest Hulk wasn't completely appalling. My point is that once Marvel took creative control over the movie making process the films actually got alot better rather than the rubbish that other companies were spewing out before. And yeah, the Dark Knight rocked, Batman Begins was pretty damn good too but other than that the DC orientated films have suffered the same problems as the Marvel ones. In that they were gash.

And don't judge a film before it's come out, certainly don't drop the Thor movie into the same sentence as the Elektra movie. It's not fair and you have absolutely nothing to base it on other than about three minutes of film. If you don't like the look of it, that's fine but seriously, comparing it to the complete and utter levels of shite of the Fantastic 4 films or Daredevil doesn't seem to be fair given that the film's not even hit the screens yet.

As for this stuff, it seems to be fair enough. I don't necessarily agree with Geoff Johns' opinion but he writes amazing comics and I'd love to see a JLA film one day but if it's not on the near horizon it's probably for the best. I think the last thing DC wants to be accused of is jumping on Marvel's movie franchise band wagon.

Jun 29, 2010
Well exactly my feelings about Marvel strategy. Certainly Iron Man and Hulk were awesome but then Iron Man2 was such a miss and the steps continued in that direction. They are making it too plastic, and you're not getting something other than action now, They care not about the characters looking the same or feeling comfortable in their own movie as was the case of Iron Man 2. So you can change actors all you want but you can certainly come up with better matches.

Spider-man 2 and X2 and even Daredevil had some character development going on while they paid homage to the comic source. Certainly Iron Man excelled at this but the sequel really pointed out so many problems. So No I won't write Thor or Captn out of my book but I stoped being excited about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.