Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2008
How can people possibly say DC is more relate-able? Because last time I checked it's extremely hard to relate to a guy from a made up planet who can't really be harmed unless he comes in contact with rock from that fake planet? The reason Marvel is what it has become is because people could relate to it. Peter Parker is the most relate-able character in the history of comic books. And what the X-Men did was unbelievable in the way it connected real life discrimination and racism with the Anti Mutant movement in the comic. Of course Batman and Superman are bigger they're too of the oldest superheroes created. But outside of the Trinity, Flash and Green Lantern, an average person wouldn't be able to name a DC superhero besides Aquaman. Currently, I'd say the two most popular superheroes of our generation our Spiderman and Wolverine, and Batman too because of the success of the movies. Also, Marvel's actual comics are much easier to enjoy reading and believable because of the everyman factor. DC's comics are so extraterrestrial and separated from human issues and sensibilities. All of the alternate earths interacting together is annoying and confusing. Marvel keeps it much more simple. Basically, what I'm trying to say in an intelligent way is, Marvel owns DC.

gamejediben

No Longer a Noob
Feb 28, 2003
@asudevil316

WOW... You think Toy Story 3 was a better movie than Inception?

I have listened to you call me a retard on several occasions and I haven't insulted you once in response. Combined with your movie preferences, this tells me you must be very young and immature. So I'm going to stop debating with you on this.

Enjoy your MARVEL movies. I'm sure those big explosions and campy dialogue will keep you entertained. Might I make a suggestion, though? If you like that kind of film, you will LOVE Michael Bay's films...

May 27, 2010
Marvel has more Heroes with names then DC, and Marvels heroes and villains dont have weaknesses, unlike EVERY hero and villain in DC accept batman

Jase_T

Noob
Apr 9, 2008
I like DC and Marvel comics. Though i prefer some of the DC characters.

Both comics have some lame charaters and idea (along with some great ones).

The fact that both comics have heroes that are globally well known and instantly recognisable.

IMO opinion some characters just dont work well on the big or small screen.

People take movie adaptions to seriously as well. The truth is to adapt something to a film version they have to try and cross barriers and appeal to everyone so these films will almost never appeal to comic book readers.

Why was Kingpin a big black guy in the Daredevil movie when he is a big white guy in all the Marvel comics ?

Apr 12, 2007
im not a fan boy of dc, and not a fanboy of marvel, but i love marvel characters, and certainly i dont like DC heroes, everyone weird suit like pijamas, and they underpants out, and a stupid weaknesses, compared with marvel, marvel is like... to every age and DC just for kids, its only my opinion, no offense, but is a little stupid say that "Our DC heroes are better than Marvel", that sounds jealousy

Oct 6, 2005
Just a bit of ego and posturing. It sounds like a cop-out for not integrating your character into the same Universe. I yearn for the day when In a Spiderman movie you see the Fantastic building in the skyline, or see Ironman fight Dr. Doom.

Aug 1, 2008
Also, perfect example of the relatablitiy issue is Marvel's character Sentry. He's basically superman without the kryptonite, yellow sun factor, except Marvel did a wonderful job of making sure people could read the character's stories and believe in them. The Sentry had no weaknesses but himself. The void was his greatest enemy and he was the void. Superman on the other hand is perfect, he's on a planet that just happens to have a yellow sun, he's got nothing to worry about unless someone has krypnotie, for god's sakes the writers have had to change the origins of his powers due to the fact that they were so unrealistic. Sentry was in a constant battle with himself, which is very human. And I don't agree with DCs villains being better. I think villian wise marvel and DC are actually pretty on par with each other but Marvel having the slight edge for one reason and one reason only. Magneto is Marvel's greatest villian and the Joker is DCs. But the difference is that Magneto is a legit threat because he's an omega level mutant with incredible abilities making him hard to defeat; on the other hand, the Joker is a very cynical and psychological villain, but he has NO powers and in a universe like DC with such powerful heroes, he realistically shouldnt be any threat at ALL. The only reason he's relevant is because the character has been handled so well throughout the years. But really, Batman could call up superman or even wonder woman and could take out the Joker in the blink of an eye for GOOD. Bullets bounce off the guys chest for heaven's sake.

Batman8893

Prime Member
Aug 16, 2007
I think relating to heroes is the dumbest excuse to like marvel characters better. Seriously I don't read comics to see an average joe have powers and have the same boring problems interfere with the big ones. I want to read about Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern because they show the true potential a mortal man can have to change the world, with a power or not. I want to see the most invulnerable man be threaten by the fact that he cares for others than himself. And besides Thor is the least relatable hero in comic books, seriously a norse god, at least Superman has a complex of being the last of his kind and you know the feeling of being an outsider

Aug 1, 2008
and marvel characters do have weaknesses, they're called guns, knives, bats, etc. DC characters need particular weaknesses because if the writers didnt give them any they're be completely unstoppable, which is retarded. And as far as superman taking out the whole marvel universe by himself is not true in anyway. He's got big guns he's gotta go up against such as thor, hulk, sentry, thanos, apocalypse, etc. Even if that doesn't work in theory one of the scientist such as Reed Richards could just block out the sun, ridding Supes of his powers.

gwillia6

Noob
Nov 14, 2007
Why do these arguments always turn into how believable and relatable characters are? Neither Universe is believable or more relatable.
Both universes include super-powered beings, Magic, alternate universes, characters returning from the dead, aliens, etc.

brnbasler

No Longer a Noob
Oct 16, 2006
Bigger with whom exactly? I know many comic fans, and nearly all of them aren't fans of DC characters with the exception of Batman.

Aug 16, 2010
Thor is far more relatable than Superman...Thor is a god that had such a giant ego he was placed in a crippled mans body to learn humility....

Aug 16, 2010
Toy Story 3 had a 99% approval rating with only 3 negative reviews....Inception had an 87% approval rating with 32 negative reviews....Toy Story 3 made 1 billion dollars this summer...Inception did not even break 500 million worldwide...So wait how is Inception the best movie of the year?

Oh and if you honestly think that only kids liked Toy Story 3 then that shows that you are the immature child...

So little child gamejedi...grow the fuck up retard and learn how to like REAL well written characters...not the DC garbage...

Aug 16, 2010
Gamejedi...enjoy your Batman who sounds like he needs and Inhaler...i will enjoy great movies...you know the ones MARVEL makes...

nafti

Noob
Jul 4, 2010
DC = Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman

Marvel = Spiderman, Hulk, Wolverine, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, X-Men.

The characters in DC are more developed but extremely unpopular. Other than Superman and Batman, no one knows any other DC character. Maybe in the US people do but not internationally. The characters in DC are bigger for their fans, only for those who have read the comics. If you did not read DC then you would not know about them and therefore would not care.

Iron Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four are more popular in the media than the Flash or Green Lantern.

Frodneid

IGN All-Star and Freelance Writer
Oct 10, 2010
Veryyy bold statement, true for two heroes(batman and superman)but even then Spiderman is right up thereand iron man is growing in popularity thanks to robert downey jr. Dc has two big heroes marvel has mannnny heroes that are popular. I think this is just a defensive statement because of how sucessful marvel movies have been and how non-excistant DC movies have been. Also...i effin hate superman

Nov 8, 2009
Superman and Batman are the two single most iconic and recognizable characters in modern pop culture, and they stand for concepts inherent to the human condition (eg. truth, justice, the power of the human will, etc.)

That said though, the rest of DC's stable of characters mostly take the same approach as Marvel's heroes (real people who happen to have superpowers) but are far less effective in their storytelling. Take Flash and Green Lantern, who're probably the most popular heroes besides the above for example. They don't quite embody any lofty concepts the same way Superman and Batman do, and Marvel simply has characters much more engaging and relatable.

Even Wonder Woman, who is DC's third pillar and supposed to be held in the same regard as Batman and Superman, is mostly known simply for being a woman. Yes, it was groundbreaking at the time, but that's practically her most distinguishing feature and biggest "draw."

Marvel's characters such as Spider-Man and the X-Men tackle real-life issues such as discrimination, responsibility, financial problems, and the like, all the while providing the comic book action that is, in the end, what we the readers look for when we read comics.

DC has created truly legendary icons that have been ingrained into the human psyche, yes. But to claim that for all (or even the majority of) their characters is arrogance, or overconfidence.

Keoku216

Noob
Sep 5, 2005
By "bigger" I assume Johns is referring to their "equipment"?
Seriously though, Marvel's characters popularity is built upon their being relate-able and believable as human beings placed into extraordinary and unbelievable situations, even if they are extremely far-fetched and have superhuman abilities. DCs characters are known for being larger than life, beyond human weakness (despite certain examples from the Batman and Green Arrow family) and generally on the whole distanced from the everyday human experience. So in that way, I guess they are "bigger", however, bigger is not always better. As excited as I am for a Green Lantern movie, the Marvel film slate is overall more appealing. Outside of Chris Nolan's Batman films, the best DC movies all come from the Vertigo line.

Sep 16, 2010
Honestly I know DC has the history however their characters aren't bigger than marvel. The only top flight Hero they have that connects with people is Batman.
DC seems to think America still has this love affair with superman especially among the younger generation. Not true. Which is why the somewhat recent movie didn't have that much success, it wasn't a bad film but it lacked.
I know there is probably a army of Green Lantern fanboys out there. However he does nothing for the general public, infact I am betting they don't know who he is. Green Lantern will most likely do worse than the superman movie did. Avengers, Captain America, Iron man, Spider-man. Will always draw more money in, than DC ever will. Beyond Batman that is. DC should just name it's company Batman comics, because without him they have no bigger than life characters, besides superman and he is fading away.
Are Marvel movies always the best? No. Did marvel leave most of their characters on the butcher table, to make lame movies to appeal to movie goers? You Betcha. Spider-man is proof of that. However Their Characters are still bigger, and better cash cows on average than DC.
The DC movies especially batman, have been much better than marvel's. If that keep that trend up their will be some great movies ahead. Putting that aside though, the characters aren't as big other than Batman and I think even spider-man could beat him in a popularity contest.

Nov 8, 2009
@TheLostJedi79:

Actually, DC's name comes from one of their most popular series, "Detective Comics," which is, or at least has become, a Batman-centered title. And while you may be right about Superman's declining popularity, I wouldn't quite count him out yet. That said though, the fact that Marvel was able to market a not-very-popular character such as Iron Man is a testament to the quality of the movie. Unfortunately, all the recent high-quality movies seem to be about their less notable characters, with their top-tier franchises being given disappointing adaptations (eg. Fantastic Four, the first Hulk by Ang Lee, etc.) Save for the first two Spider-Man films (which are by far the best superhero movies outside of Christopher Nolan) and the second X-Men movie, the older Marvel movies aren't quite up there. Hulk was fortunate enough to be given a spot-on reboot, but as for the others, it seems the rights aren't going back to Marvel any time soon.

I think it just so happens to be the right socio-political climate for Iron Man to thrive in, whereas Superman comes from a simpler, more hopeful, less cynical time. But really, anything can happen from now on.

MGmaverick

Noob
Feb 9, 2010
For real? IMO DC doesn't even come close to Marvel. Take a look at their heroes! My favorite and possibly the most recognizable, most human superhero out of all them.
Then there's Iron Man, Hulk, the entire X-men, Dare Devil, The Punisher.

Only one from DC i like is Bats.

and gotta say it I hate Superman (though he does have his moments)

Spork3000

Noob
Apr 1, 2010
Well, I'm glad he didn't mention anyone beyond Superman and Batman because that's really all DC has that is more popular than Marvel's characters. In fact,one could argue that Spider-Man is just as iconic if not more so than Batman.

Vega_Obscura

Cursed Mod
★ MOD
Mar 1, 2002
WeHo
Having two big characters doesn't make all of your characters big.

The mediocre numbers of every DC film that will not star Batman or Superman will push that Justice League movie further up on the list of priorities real fast...

Vega

Jan 5, 2010
@ drock_drummer

"Marvel, as someone else pointed out, is about the "everyman" who suddenly realizes he's born a little different, or is bitten by something... or some other lame-assed, far-fetched, pseudo-scientific explanation for their doled out gimmick."

Superman = Survivor of the explosion of the planet Krypton, in which all inhabitants have super powers like Superman. Wow! That certainly was a scientifically sound, not at all far fetched and completely original origin story!

You might argue that DC has bigger heroes, but I don't think anyone is going to agree that DC has overall better heroes. I honestly think the best hero to come out of DC is Batman because he's the most interesting. I think that people like the fact that Batman could be anyone with a lot of money and training. I also think that's why on a sales basis Marvel beats DC, because they have heroes that are far more interesting and human.

At the very least it's fairly obvious that neither company is going to be producing particularly believable origin stories.

LB1984

Noob
Nov 3, 2009
He's not too far from the truth, but the only DC movie that has kicked ass in the past 20 years is Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I think that DC is going to be successful with the upcoming Green Lantern, and the new Superman franchise, but I honestly think they would be more successful in connecting these movies somehow like how marvel is doing. That's the only way they could have the trump card over marvel in the movies. I've always wanted to see Superman and Batman together on the screen. If done right, it would take a righteous dump on everything marvel has done in my opinion, and I love what marvel is doing, so that's saying something.

AStriegel75

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 14, 2008
I think the man has an extremely valid point. I definitely agree that DC's heroes are more iconic. I look at Batman and Superman in a different way than I view Wolverine and Ironman. I see Wolverine as just a cool badass with blades coming out of hands and I see Superman as being a savior of man (couldn't think of a better way to say that). With that said, I like Marvel comics better than DC comics. Batman may have been more of a commercial and critical success but after seeing both of the new ones twice I don't have any desire to ever watch them again. I can however watch Ironman or X-Men over and over.

Swordmaven

Noob
Feb 24, 2004
Well, it is true that DC's characters are more iconic, at least the big three, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman just because they've been around longer and have had more success in the past with teevee and such. Marvel has had a lot of catching up to do and in the past 20 years a lot of excellent cartoons and movies have shown up. And this is where Marvel is now spanking DC. Yeah, the Bat-movies have been successful, but it wasn't until Batman Begins, and arguably not until Dark Knight, that someone actually brought the character to life. Batman would seem to be a fairly easy character to understand, and if he isn't, there's a wealth of reference material there. And, what...they're rebooting Superman AGAIN?

No, Marvel has nailed it with Spiderman and Iron-Man and in the Hulk's second film. Yes, they had some misfires...Daredevil was a mess. But Marvel is creating a franchise juggernaut in which one reason to watch their movies now is to see how it all connects with the bigger picture of the Avengers, etc. It is fascinating that Marvel is able to pull off in their movies what is done so frequently in the funny books, crossovers and continuity.

DC has a long way to go and it will be a real shame if they don't get their heads out of their butts and fail to have the next Bat-movie and the next Superman movie and the Wonder-Woman movie (if it is ever made) and Green Lantern all build up to Justice League.

Your characters are bigger than Marvels? Well, let's see your movies get that big. Dark Knight was awesome, but may well have been a fluke. And some of the success was generated by people's fascination of Heath Ledger's Joker, but Batman was depicted very close to the comicbook character. Some moments were hauntingly familiar. The next bat-movie will surely be a let-down unless they just allow the strength of the character to come through again, but if they're depending on the strength of the folks doing the obligatory arch-villians they may be doomed. Story will be important and there's lots of great stories out there to pull from and Batman Begins and Dark Knight all had the feel of adaptations to those of us who are live-long Batfans. But still...many Batfilms later and it took that long to nail the character.

Spider-man 1 & 2 were awesome, Iron Man 1 & 2 were awesome, Thor looks good, Hulk 2 was awesome, etc and they hit the characters on the head, even if they couldn't stand for Tobey Maguire and Downey Jr to be wearing their masks for more than a few seconds at a time.

Jun 10, 2006
Does your board have a Spam problem?
http://www.captcha.net/
It's free and effective!

He is right, DC's iconic characters are bigger than Marvels. Iron Man and Captain America are definitely iconic, but not quite on the same scale as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, or Green Lantern.

That said, Marvel knows how to make a better Super Hero movie. With the exception of the Nolan Batman films, DC isn't even in the running in the film department, but hopefully that will change!

nickpeck26

No Longer a Noob
Jun 20, 2002
Bigger isnt always better lol. I have never cared for anything DC has done and have ALWAYS favored the better "stories and characters" Marvel has put out.

Superman is just a generic overall "super hero" when you think about it, oh wait hes dead right? oh not anymore.. same with batman.. The only good thing going for batman is the two newer movies (and yes, every other batman movie made has sucked imo) and the newer games... and for wonder woman? Never cared for her at all.

Obviously just my two cents and personal taste. Not saying DC sucks because I dont know it well enough to know 110%. I have tried many times to get into them and just cant, not to mention I dont even like any of the movies based on anything DC relate :(

PR0PH37

Noob
Mar 20, 2008
I used to love Marvel. All I ever collected except for Batman but I gotta tell you. After the early 90's Marvel's stories got sucktacular and convoluted. Marvel has literally ruined some of their best characters. Killed Captain America?!? Destroyed Spiderman with the whole clone bull. Reduced the Punisher to dust and don't get me started with the whole Civil War junk. Marvel is the biggest mess.

DC on the other hand got his act together, got some real artists (ex Marvel of course) and revamped some of their Characters into someone to care about. DC is on top of the game right now.

What he says about the whole Avenger/Iron man movie mess is right. Marvel is just trying too hard and they are missing the whole target.

BTW...I can't believe I'm defending DC. That's how much of a hardcore Marvel fan I USED to be.

Aug 16, 2010
PROPH you are an idiot....The Death of Captain America and his rebirth is better than anything DC has done in the last 20 years...Civil War is better than anything DC has done in the last 20 years....

Lets look at some of the craptacular storylines from DC:

Superman Walkabout
Batmn RIP....but he does not die so it is a lie
Final Crisis
Infinite Crisis
Identity Crisis
Blackest Night
Brighest Day
Countdown to Infinity Crisis
Trinity...

God these are all god awful stories....

cerebus00

Noob
Mar 9, 2007
i liked batman rip yea morrisons writing was overly dense and especially in fc tried to cram too much in, but lately we have been getting some more fill ins and backstory to the whole rip/fc stories in the latest batman comics and others.

and once again batman saves the entire universes in fc breaking one of his rules to do it and take out a threat that he could never hope to beat on his own. but that is exactly where he ended up.

marvel is just too goofy stan lee used to be edgy and pushed limits getting the comic seal ripped off his spiderman comics as they delved into drug use and other adult themes in the 70s. now days he just seems to have lost his edge and just applauds bad spiderman movies.

Jun 16, 2008
I would agree that DC's iconic characters ar 'bigger' in scale, but I would also point out that BEYOND DC's most iconic characters are a lot of forgettable characters. Marvel has many more memorable characters.

Skeevin

Noob
Jun 3, 2009
The fact that DC treats their characters as symbols first and characters second is the exact reason why I prefer Marvel heroes. DC had a lot of fun, diverse characters in the 90's, but their days of operating outside of the "classic" square jawed superhero mold are long gone. Am I the only one who realizes that the only reason we consider most of DC's heroes outside of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to be "iconic" is that DC repeatedly assures us they are? It's marketing, nothing more. DC's villains, on the other hand, are the best in the business.

CaptFalcon00

No Longer a Noob
Dec 10, 2002
Marvel's characters are cooler and resonate more with modern audiences. no one wants to Superman in his underroos anymore

phantomzxro

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 20, 2008
I would agree that DC characters are more iconic but i feel he was being a bit rude about. They only have batman that his be a good movie lately. So i can see why they are taking that stance. But i do like what marvel is doing even if the avengers were never part of the plan i like that it feel like everyone is in the same world and not just three different stories.

I would say that is what all comic book fans get a kick out of watching these movie and seeing the many cameo and characters appearences. Even if DC does not make a justice league movie i would like to see them take a page from marvel and just some character cameos or appearences. seeing batman pop in and chat with superman would be a cool thing.

SCSAFan

Noob
Aug 15, 2008
hahha.....I laugh at this. DC has a hard time coming with new character, where as with Marvel, only if Marvel only consisted of the X Men Universe, then you'd still have a larger Universe than the entire DC Universe combined. There has always been more depth & story behind Marvel's character. Other than Batman, IMO.....most of DC's character universe asre lame.

Jun 17, 2009
So did IGN just put this story to have fanboys weigh in on which franchise they like more?
I mean it's obvious that Geoff is right about DC, because I like DC better therefore he is right, duh

Dswifty86

Noob
Dec 4, 2009
The only Reason Dc is even still around these days is because of batman and superman.the D.C Villains are great,but overall marvel has the best of both worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.