Faytplodes

The Real Danny Glover
Jul 31, 2009
LOL PEYTON MANNING
That first Shadow Limgrave area highly misrepresented how dense the DLC was going to be, post honeymoon phase on this one is going to be brutal.

I mean there is a ton to explore lol. Both finger areas deserve some shit. I guess if you're literally looking at the map the mountain in the bottom right then that total space hardly houses anything, but I think that more so represents the boss of that area owning that zone entirely.

Past that the entire map is littered with things to find.

On a side note, spoilers for a certain area:
What did you guys think of Senessex right before Bayle? Apparently he is a wildly hated boss and I don't really get it lol. Knock it for being copy/paste sure, I'm with you, but reading posts over on Reddit it's as if it's the worst thing imaginable lol. The lightning in the water was annoying the first attempt until I realized what was going on, after that it's as easy as hitting the jump button.

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
I mean there is a ton to explore lol. Both finger areas deserve some shit. I guess if you're literally looking at the map the mountain in the bottom right then that total space hardly houses anything, but I think that more so represents the boss of that area owning that zone entirely.

What did you guys think of Senessex right before Bayle? Apparently he is a wildly hated boss and I don't really get it lol. Knock it for being copy/paste sure, I'm with you, but reading posts over on Reddit it's as if it's the worst thing imaginable lol. The lightning in the water was annoying the first attempt until I realized what was going on, after that it's as easy as hitting the jump button.

I’m one of the haters, ground aoe attacks are my kryptonite, I am never going to remember jumping in combat after 5 games where it wasn’t an option.

Radagon was harder than Malenia for me

Faytplodes

The Real Danny Glover
Jul 31, 2009
LOL PEYTON MANNING
I’m one of the haters, ground aoe attacks are my kryptonite, I am never going to remember jumping in combat after 5 games where it wasn’t an option.

Radagon was harder than Malenia for me

Lol if you're fighting your own muscle memory I kinda get that. Someone on Reddit suggested it should have been him in place of one of the duo dragon shortly before that, and I do think that would have been so much better.

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Lol if you're fighting your own muscle memory I kinda get that. Someone on Reddit suggested it should have been him in place of one of the duo dragon shortly before that, and I do think that would have been so much better.

I wish they had expanded the area and gave us new hatchling drake enemies to fight since Bayle was laying mad pipe there, the higher up you get the older and stronger they become until eventually the dragon duel happens

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
60 vig
60 end
63 str
62 dex

Dragon Hunter Great Katana +10

Shard of Alexander

Two Handed Sword Talisman

Dragon Greatshield Talisman

Pearldrake Talisman+3 (not sure if this works for his magic or not tbh)

The rest of my stats are all default for whatever class, honestly I’m probably super over leveled so I could respec into any broken build but I want to exhaust the possibility of winning fair and square first
You could always mix some arcane into your build and put a bleed affinity on your weapon. Bleed isn't inherently cheesy/broken, but gives you a decent damage boost against bosses.

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011

Yeah, the finger areas were pretty disappointing, especially with as interesting as the related questline is. The DLC definitely has a higher proportion of undercooked areas than the base game, but not by that much. It is what it is.

Elden Ring base game and DLC are so wild because they're exceedingly rich in unparalleled content, and yet there was clearly so much more they could have done if they had another year or so to work on it.

Faytplodes

The Real Danny Glover
Jul 31, 2009
LOL PEYTON MANNING
Yeah, the finger areas were pretty disappointing, especially with as interesting as the related questline is. The DLC definitely has a higher proportion of undercooked areas than the base game, but not by that much. It is what it is.

Elden Ring base game and DLC are so wild because they're exceedingly rich in unparalleled content, and yet there was clearly so much more they could have done if they had another year or so to work on it.

I mean if we're going by area Caelid has an absurd swath of nothing in the Radahn arena lol. Mountaintops of the Giants is pretty barren and a much bigger area than both finger zones combined. Liurnia of the Lakes has plenty that is just.... waters and ruined buildings.

RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012
Both the Finger Ruins areas and the Abyssal Woods are so empty. I will say it kind of fits both areas thematically, and I think the atmosphere is strong enough that on the first playthrough I was still pretty enthralled, but they are areas where on NG+ I'm already like Oh yeah I guess I gotta go there again

Speaking of NG+. I am using the Bloodfiend Arm and at Scadutree Blessing level 20 I am just ripping through this lol, the Dancing Lion and Rellana both got melted. It doesn't feel quite as laughable as the NG+ difficulty curve in the base game (both bosses actually killed me once each before I got them, and Blackgaol Knight still required a bit of effort), but this Arm is downright absurd. I feel like the R2 should've been an L2, and even then it should probably work way differently. It procs bleeding faster than anything I've seen in this game, even quicker than RoB. My Blood Loss is currently 212 with this thing lol

GhostofSparta22

Say My Name
Jan 25, 2009
Nah you don’t have to change the ash on your current weapon you just run like a dagger on your second right hand slot with golden vow AOW or whatever ash buff you want
Pop it before the boss or whenever during the boss and immediately switch back to your main weapon
The buff stays on
Golden Vow is goated. I throw that one before every fight and pop a Crab claw for extra protection, plus my Flame Strength INT for my Blasphemous build. Love coming out of the gate strong.

GhostofSparta22

Say My Name
Jan 25, 2009
Both the Finger Ruins areas and the Abyssal Woods are so empty. I will say it kind of fits both areas thematically, and I think the atmosphere is strong enough that on the first playthrough I was still pretty enthralled, but they are areas where on NG+ I'm already like Oh yeah I guess I gotta go there again
Yeah Ruins and Woods are pretty empty, but honestly I only see that as a problem if you're doing NG+. The first time I went into the Woods I had NO idea what to expect, and just the thrill of not knowing if I would find a secret around the corner or one of the Lanterns was great. I was on pins and the needles the whole time I was there, senses tuned up to 11. The atmosphere in that place was 10/10.

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
I mean if we're going by area Caelid has an absurd swath of nothing in the Radahn arena lol. Mountaintops of the Giants is pretty barren and a much bigger area than both finger zones combined. Liurnia of the Lakes has plenty that is just.... waters and ruined buildings.
I don't count the Radahn area as being underdeveloped, since its purpose is being a boss arena. I didn't feel any disappointment about that.

Liurnia didn't feel empty to me either. Even in the areas that you mentioned, there tended to be little things sprinkled in. Like items at the very least. And you wouldn't have to travel too far through a less eventful stretch to find something interesting, generally.

The Mountaintops is the one area they fell well short on, for sure. But proportionally to the rest of the base game, it seems like a smaller slice of the pie than the empty areas in the DLC. And it's also less egregiously bad than the empty areas in the DLC. Although the sanctified snowgrounds or whatever its called is still the worst area they've done, no question.

I could be wrong but I feel like there are more unrewarding deadends throughout the DLC, even in the areas that are generally well fleshed out. It's a small thing, but there were quite a few spots that could have used an item spawn. I don't remember feeling that way as much in the base game.

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Finally beat the last boss using golden vow, crabs, the invulnerability flask, mimic tear and my bro ansbach

@Modern_Myth thx for the tips

the “ending” was disappointing af even for FromSoft standards, that 15 second flashback that offers no resolution to the plot honestly felt like a slap in the face after the most grueling boss they’ve ever done

Oh well lol, I respecced to a bleed built and started NG+ and this is like a different game

Last edited:

Modern_Myth

slime god
Dec 20, 2006
The Commonwealth
Finally beat the last boss using golden vow, crabs, the invulnerability flask, mimic tear and my bro ansbach

@Modern_Myth thx for the tips

the “ending” was disappointing af even for FromSoft standards, that 15 second flashback that offers no resolution to the plot honestly felt like a slap in the face after the most grueling boss they’ve ever done

Oh well lol, I respecced to a bleed built and started NG+ and this is like a different game
Happy to hear it my lad !

Sep 27, 2011
Okay, can finally play again after going practically a week

Probably gonna respec from
50 Vig / 16 End / 21 Mind
9 Str / 50 Dex
9 Int / 30 Fth / 50 Arc

to

50 Vig / 16 End / 21 Mind
12 St / 35 Dex
11 Int / 20 Fth / 70 Arc

...maybe

...probably gonna level up some more too

I'm probably gonna hit like 170? I guess so I can get 14 Str...a few more in Arc to finish it out...or maybe a some mind or get some Dex back...

Evil__Homer

No Longer a Noob
Jul 23, 2013
Love the new environments but yea, lots of wasted space I find sometimes. Great to explore but when you find dead ends or areas for miles with nothing seems a bit disappointing.

Not sure on the new caves / catacombs yet, they’re ok but don’t feel as well crafted as the base game. Maybe crafted not the word to use but they don’t flow or feel as exciting as the orginal ones did. Some feel to long.
Scorpion River Catacombs… not a fan of the Blight gimmick but made it through.

Ruined Forges kind of interesting.

Last edited:

RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012
Bloodfiend Arm is still absolutely amazing fyi. I melted Rellana and the Dancing Lion with it on my current NG+ file, went back into base game and melted the Volcano Manor Godskin Noble with it, it's completely ridiculous still

I REALLY love the Dragon-Hunter Great Katana. I always felt like the dragons were really arduous to fight as a melee character and I think the L2 on this is a great way to actually be able to hit their heads. Was running around Altus Plateau and killed Lanseax with it and actually had fun for the first time ever

Last edited:

RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012
Love the new environments but yea, lots of wasted space I find sometimes. Great to explore but when you find dead ends or areas for miles with nothing seems a bit disappointing.

Not sure on the new caves / catacombs yet, they���re ok but don’t feel as well crafted as the base game. Maybe crafted not the word to use but they don’t flow or feel as exciting as the orginal ones did. Some feel to long.
Scorpion River Catacombs… not a fan of the Blight gimmick but made it through.

Ruined Forges kind of interesting.
Interesting, I really like the gaols and catacombs in the DLC and they each feel more distinct and memorable to me than the many cookie cutter ones we saw in the base game. The Belurat Gaol and the Darklight Catacombs in particular feel quite distinctive

Midra took me a while but I thought it was a good fight.
Midra might honestly be my favorite boss in the DLC the more I think about it, or at least it's up there in contention. Really perfectly designed fight imo

Modern_Myth

slime god
Dec 20, 2006
The Commonwealth
Interesting, I really like the gaols and catacombs in the DLC and they each feel more distinct and memorable to me than the many cookie cutter ones we saw in the base game. The Belurat Gaol and the Darklight Catacombs in particular feel quite distinctive

Midra might honestly be my favorite boss in the DLC the more I think about it, or at least it's up there in contention. Really perfectly designed fight imo
Belurat gaol was creepy but the mini boss was like uhh lame lol

RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
I'm having a hard time using any weapon other than the backhand blade. Blind Spot is too fun/good. And the moveset all around is too fun/good.