RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012
Just got to what I’m assuming is the final boss and uhh…

Kinda disappointed it’s just Radhan revived by the power of gay incest
The fight itself is really awesome, probably one of my favorite final battles they've ever done, but...

I don't mind the idea of Prime Radahn or Revived Radahn or whatever in and of itself. But it just feels very left-field to me. I think everyone's reaction to the boss has been sort of a collective "Huh? Oh ok" feeling. In general, Miquella's actions and motivations feel very all over the place to me, he feels like a character where the goalposts are always moving, like hearing a little kid describe a character they made up "Ok he can do this power. Oh and also in this situation he can do this power too. And everyone likes him. Except he actually just made them like him. Except some people actually like him without enchantment." It just feels messy to me. I also don't like that virtually none of Mohg's appearance is maintained in the Radahn design, just the omen horns on the arm and his ability to cast bloodflame stuff. If it actually looked like "Radahn inhabiting Mohg's body" it would be cooler to me. There is also to my knowledge zero mention of Miquella and Radahn sharing any sort of bond or affection in the base game

Also, I was thinking about why this DLC sorta left me with a different feeling than stuff like the Ringed City and Old Hunters, and (spoilers for all of them I guess)...

It just doesn't feel like an "ending." The Ringed City is so definitively the end of Dark Souls, literally fighting Gael at the end of the world. And the Old Hunters is a little different but going into the memories of the hunters and finding this Fishing Hamlet where it all began, and finally encountering an actual Great One kin, it all had a feeling of finality to it. The end of Shadow of the Erdtree is kinda just like Ok we stopped another Demigod lol. We already did that several times in base game.

Last edited:

WoodenPie

Star
Jan 14, 2015
Beat all the major bosses the other day. Started another DLC playthrough with another character. I have another character ready to go in case I mess up and advance too far into the game. I'm gonna try and do all the side quests

Last edited:

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
The fight itself is really awesome, probably one of my favorite final battles they've ever done, but...

I don't mind the idea of Prime Radahn or Revived Radahn or whatever in and of itself. But it just feels very left-field to me. I think everyone's reaction to the boss has been sort of a collective "Huh? Oh ok" feeling. In general, Miquella's actions and motivations feel very all over the place to me, he feels like a character where the goalposts are always moving, like hearing a little kid describe a character they made up "Ok he can do this power. Oh and also in this situation he can do this power too. And everyone likes him. Except he actually just made them like him. Except some people actually like him without enchantment." It just feels messy to me. I also don't like that virtually none of Mohg's appearance is maintained in the Radahn design, just the omen horns on the arm and his ability to cast bloodflame stuff. If it actually looked like "Radahn inhabiting Mohg's body" it would be cooler to me. There is also to my knowledge zero mention of Miquella and Radahn sharing any sort of bond or affection in the base game

Yeah I was gonna say I’m pretty casual with the lore but I don’t remember him being mentioned in relation to radahn at all.

I just remember a plotline of him trying to give Godwin a true death that’s seemingly been abandoned in the dlc and the malenia stuff obviously

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011

Also, I was thinking about why this DLC sorta left me with a different feeling than stuff like the Ringed City and Old Hunters, and (spoilers for all of them I guess)...

It just doesn't feel like an "ending." The Ringed City is so definitively the end of Dark Souls, literally fighting Gael at the end of the world. And the Old Hunters is a little different but going into the memories of the hunters and finding this Fishing Hamlet where it all began, and finally encountering an actual Great One kin, it all had a feeling of finality to it. The end of Shadow of the Erdtree is kinda just like Ok we stopped another Demigod lol. We already did that several times in base game.
Agreed all around. It almost makes me think that mayyybe they actually have (or had) one more DLC planned and Miyazaki has just been throwing out misdirections. But probably not. Bloodborne DLC remains the goat. Such an incredible way to build on the base game thematically with that one.

I was hoping that there might be some sort of finality offered in the Shaman Village after defeating Miquella. Finding that place was such a cool moment, and certainly has some interesting lore implications, but I wonder if they could have done a bit more with it.

RommelMcDommel

Super Star
Mar 21, 2012
Agreed all around. It almost makes me think that mayyybe they actually have (or had) one more DLC planned and Miyazaki has just been throwing out misdirections. But probably not. Bloodborne DLC remains the goat. Such an incredible way to build on the base game thematically with that one.

I was hoping that there might be some sort of finality offered in the Shaman Village after defeating Miquella. Finding that place was such a cool moment, and certainly has some interesting lore implications, but I wonder if they could have done a bit more with it.

Yeah, my favorite part of the DLC pretty much by far was...

...the Shaman Village and all of the Mother of the Fingers stuff. That was exactly the kind of lore revelation that I feel FromSoft does super well, like some weird cryptic piece of backstory that shatters your understanding of the present. The Miquella + Radahn stuff felt almost the total opposite, it was very "present tense" storytelling and didn't feel like it built on established lore at all, just felt like "Oooh here is an epic final boss." Which to be fair, it was, the fight kicks ass. But absolutely my favorite "moment" of the DLC was riding into the Shaman Village and hearing that music

ebevan91

Keep Going, Spiral Out
Dec 19, 2007
I made it to the final boss and I'm nowhere close to beating this thing. I don't know if I've even taken off 20% of his health yet. And I've been getting BETTER at fighting him too. I'm doing so little damage even with a scadutree blessing of 18.

ebevan91

Keep Going, Spiral Out
Dec 19, 2007
I made it to the final boss and I'm nowhere close to beating this thing. I don't know if I've even taken off 20% of his health yet. And I've been getting BETTER at fighting him too. I'm doing so little damage even with a scadutree blessing of 18.

I cheesed the hell out of this fight, BTW.

Fingerprint shield + scholar's shield + Blood Sword Lance (put bloody ash of war on Gaius's remembrance weapon. Gave myself a bunch of stamina increasing/recover talismans and wondrous physick tears. I just held L1 and spammed R1 until I won basically. It stilll took a few tries but I got it eventually. I had to time my stamina recovery properly in between Radahn's attacks. It felt pretty unsatisfying doing this, but the guy was way too damn hard and I'm glad to be done with this game for a while. I did a NG+ playthrough, got the platinum, and then played through the DLC all within the last 3 weeks or so.

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
Yeah, my favorite part of the DLC pretty much by far was...

...the Shaman Village and all of the Mother of the Fingers stuff. That was exactly the kind of lore revelation that I feel FromSoft does super well, like some weird cryptic piece of backstory that shatters your understanding of the present. The Miquella + Radahn stuff felt almost the total opposite, it was very "present tense" storytelling and didn't feel like it built on established lore at all, just felt like "Oooh here is an epic final boss." Which to be fair, it was, the fight kicks ass. But absolutely my favorite "moment" of the DLC was riding into the Shaman Village and hearing that music
Even the final cutscene you watch after beating Radahn was so unsatisfying, honestly. Compare that to the cinematic at the end of Bloodborne, on the beach after defeating Orphan of Kos, which was beautiful and poignant. The Miquella cinematic would have been just as valuable/interesting if it played at the very start of the DLC, instead of the end. But it seemed to add nothing, regardless, to me.

69radcooldude420

keep trollin I'm reportin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 26, 2013
i really thoight poison would work better in these fights with shorter and shorter punish windows, but it seems to be shorting out so quickly. These bosses have so much health anyway but with rellana it seemed like not enough reward for having to punch through each little space i got. Didnt really like the fight in general either, but only in the same ways im disappointed with a lot of fights here.

Dancing lion was really cool tho. Felt i lucked out a bit getting it second attempt, but aside from the range being bonkers it felt alright.

Perfume weapons are cool. Just a new way for me to poison build but its got fun theming at least. I guess theres a busted art of war for them i gotta find tho

Just generally behind. Shadow lands are cool but everything way too damn dark when im playing on a projector lol

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
I cheesed the hell out of this fight, BTW.

Fingerprint shield + scholar's shield + Blood Sword Lance (put bloody ash of war on Gaius's remembrance weapon. Gave myself a bunch of stamina increasing/recover talismans and wondrous physick tears. I just held L1 and spammed R1 until I won basically. It stilll took a few tries but I got it eventually. I had to time my stamina recovery properly in between Radahn's attacks. It felt pretty unsatisfying doing this, but the guy was way too damn hard and I'm glad to be done with this game for a while. I did a NG+ playthrough, got the platinum, and then played through the DLC all within the last 3 weeks or so.
Shield build seems to be the way to go if you want to adjust the difficulty down on demand.

I rocked the backhand blades all the way to the end. Never came off them. I like that ultra greatsword they added with the white light explosion, I forget what it's called. I might try that as I clean up what I missed and work toward NG+2.

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Finally hunkered down and got through the Abyss Woods or whatever

pretty terrible tbh, the late game areas in general feel kinda half baked like usual but this one takes the cake for the entire series imo, feels like they designed the legacy dungeon and a rough outline for the forest then ran out of time and money so they plopped some winter lanterns down to pad out the zone.

Modern_Myth

slime god
Dec 20, 2006
The Commonwealth
Ghostflame Dragon with all the soldiers around it is a cancerous battle.
Not when you’re on your horse
Ez
Finally hunkered down and got through the Abyss Woods or whatever

pretty terrible tbh, the late game areas in general feel kinda half baked like usual but this one takes the cake for the entire series imo, feels like they designed the legacy dungeon and a rough outline for the forest then ran out of time and money so they plopped some winter lanterns down to pad out the zone.
Agreed

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Oh wow I can drain the water in the church district!

Oh wow it’s just filled with ulcerated tree spirits…

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Bro I don’t understand how you’re supposed to beat the final boss, I have like 1 chance per hour to attack this guy and his health bar barely even moves at 19 blessings and maxed out quality weapon with like 63 points in both strength and dex

not_socks

not_mod
Jun 29, 2024
Scadutree Avatar is gonna be a fuckin bitch isn't it
I can tell it's gonna be a fuckin bitch

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
I’m just playing bro what’s your stat spread rn

60 vig
60 end
63 str
62 dex

Dragon Hunter Great Katana +10

Shard of Alexander

Two Handed Sword Talisman

Dragon Greatshield Talisman

Pearldrake Talisman+3 (not sure if this works for his magic or not tbh)

The rest of my stats are all default for whatever class, honestly I’m probably super over leveled so I could respec into any broken build but I want to exhaust the possibility of winning fair and square first

topdogg_187

Real name, no gimmicks
Apr 19, 2004
I havent played in days. Im gonna be rusty. Last thing I did was sneak through the woods and get to the legacy dungeon

Modern_Myth

slime god
Dec 20, 2006
The Commonwealth
60 vig
60 end
63 str
62 dex

Dragon Hunter Great Katana +10

Shard of Alexander

Two Handed Sword Talisman

Dragon Greatshield Talisman

Pearldrake Talisman+3 (not sure if this works for his magic or not tbh)

The rest of my stats are all default for whatever class, honestly I’m probably super over leveled so I could respec into any broken build but I want to exhaust the possibility of winning fair and square first
Man you should be running some heavy armor rn
Got any boiled crabs ? Does your ash of war have a damage buff like golden vow?

Circumventing

Perma'd User
Jun 30, 2021
Man you should be running some heavy armor rn
Got any boiled crabs ? Does your ash of war have a damage buff like golden vow?
Vow of the indomitable is a great shield ash of war for aoes

uhh im wearing the solitude armor I think? From the crypt at the start of the dlc, and I have the crab guy ball bearing and most of the spells/ashes in the game but I’ve honestly never even messed with those, it always felt like changing the ashes devalued the unique weapons to me, I’ll have to look into this…

Modern_Myth

slime god
Dec 20, 2006
The Commonwealth
uhh im wearing the solitude armor I think? From the crypt at the start of the dlc, and I have the crab guy ball bearing and most of the spells/ashes in the game but I’ve honestly never even messed with those, it always felt like changing the ashes devalued the unique weapons to me, I’ll have to look into this…
Nah you don’t have to change the ash on your current weapon you just run like a dagger on your second right hand slot with golden vow AOW or whatever ash buff you want
Pop it before the boss or whenever during the boss and immediately switch back to your main weapon
The buff stays on