ZacR

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 6, 2011
New Jersey
Have you guys heard of this dude Hopsin? Best in the game right now, hands down. This some "real" hip-hop, ain't no talking about money, bitches, guns. Only that real shit, his lyrics be raw!

(I'm joking guys)

tim_south

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 15, 2012
1:55 of good kid....a dog can't say "woof," right? It just barks "woof." Can a dog say anything? One of the only weak points on the album.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
WHY WOULD YOU BUMP THESE DEMON THREAD?!

Also, I still listen to this fairly regularly and I think it's more overrated than ever. There's really great stuff on the album, but there's enough songs I skip that keep it from being a great LP. I kind of wish Dre had never gotten attached to this shit.

Last edited:

tim_south

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 15, 2012
^music tends to have a diminishing effect when you listen to it fairly consistently for months on end. at least with me, to an extent.

that said it's an excellent memoir/narrative that's being given preferential treatment because it offers a story upfront (which the hip hop kids have been dying for). It's all very surface too. A lot of people are putting it in a space that it's not (illmatic 2.0). Stilll one of the best front to back hip hop releases of the last few years. Same with ASAP's latest (for entirely different reasons).

Last edited:

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
But the songs I liked are still the songs I like, and the songs I disliked are still the songs I dislike. I like the record, I just don't think it's anywhere near classic territory. I don't even think it's the best front-to-back hip hop release from last year (Killer Mike).

ducktape

Sage
Jul 14, 2012
harlem > compton

and asap's album isn't even that great
not better than the classic purple haze

and fuck kendrick lamar. dj quik is the best outta compton and kendrick lamar is getting way too much credit.

quikneiht.jpg

CrAzY_A_69

Star
Mar 29, 2002
I still listen to this from front to back regularly. ASAP's album hasn't faired as well for longevity though.

tim_south

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 15, 2012
Wesleys theory would be a perfect song (and top 10 hip hop opener all time...still might be) if it didn't have the Dre VO. Ugh. Still great. Great thread here all timer