Apr 21, 2010
I think we can all agree that 'Paranoid Android' has more substance than 'Because I Got High', so there is some degree of objectivity in evaluating substance in music, and most people could tell you which of those two songs this album sounds more like.

I think your comments speak more about the culture that is consuming the music rather than the music itself. You can't really fault music for being facile if its being produced for and consumed by a facile culture, just like I cant fault you for liking this if this is the kind of music you're after. The music reflects the culture.

Whats sad is I don't think today's music culture really wants much depth so its satisfied by shallow albums such as this.

CrAzY_A_69

Star
Mar 29, 2002
I dont mind us talking about rap here either, its just that I LIKE TO THINK that on these boards most of us (maybe only some?) are aware of good music's ability to stand the test of time and we are all on the lookout for that next band or album where we can say 'these guys get it' and we know that we can expect something special from them in the future. Something that we will remember and still enjoy and discuss 20yrs from now, and I can tell you right now a song like 'Bitch Dont Kill My Vibe' is not going to be one those songs.

And I think thats why you'll see some backlash about discussing music like this around here.
The very fact that people still discuss hip hop albums from 20+ years ago today kind of invalidates this argument.

Last edited:

TabzF

Prime Member
Oct 22, 2012
fact: most 'great' music released in recent years wont stand out many years later. there's simply too much quality music right now, and too much music in general. very little stands out.

this isnt about reinventing the wheel. it's just a really good hip-hop album. if you like hip-hop then i don't see why you wouldnt like GKMC.

music doesnt have to me "experimental" sounding or "deep" to be significant and impactful.

Last edited:

ZacR

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 6, 2011
New Jersey
I think we can all agree that 'Paranoid Android' has more substance than 'Because I Got High', so there is some degree of objectivity in evaluating substance in music, and most people could tell you which of those two songs this album sounds more like.

I think your comments speak more about the culture that is consuming the music rather than the music itself. You can't really fault music for being facile if its being produced for and consumed by a facile culture, just like I cant fault you for liking this if this is the kind of music you're after. The music reflects the culture.

Whats sad is I don't think today's music culture really wants much depth so its satisfied by shallow albums such as this.

Yeah, but this is pushing my argument beyond the realm of subjectivity. I mean obviously there is gonna be objectivity in the case of extremes, but in comparing this album to any of the recent indie releases of this year those extremes are not met. Whether that be because of the lack of quality music this year or some other reason, I don't know.

Last edited:

ZacR

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 6, 2011
New Jersey
I feel like you guys would be hating on the blues if you were around in the 1950's. Ayoo fuck Muddy Waters he ain't got no substance.

tim_south

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 15, 2012
And there's no question that this album sells a story that's more compelling than something like The Chronic...one that's being discussed much more rapidly and heavily than that album.

I don't get how Yonkers can get such a break from "indie folks" yet this album gets an immediate dismissal. I guess I'll stay trapped in 1994 and listen to my copy of ob4cl again. it's getting dusty.

ZacR

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 6, 2011
New Jersey
No one gets this mad over Sleigh Bells.

Yeah because people who don't like sleigh bells just kinda state that they don't like it for whatever reason and that's that.

Here, I feel like people are stating what they don't like about Good Kid, but then also criticizing the rap genre and it's fan base as a whole. It's like my intelligence is being insulted because I enjoy hip-hop music as well. Meanwhile the indie rock featured on this board is being held in a higher regard when a majority of it is just as shallow if not more so than this album and to a far lesser extent the entire hip-hop genre.

I listen to both "indie-rock" and "hip-hop", but prefer the former and I can see why someone in this position might be so quick to dismiss hip-hop because I felt this way in the past myself. There is a ton of depth inherent in hip-hop, but it's more cultural rather than intellectual. It's modern day "race music" stemming back to the blues tradition and many of those inherent qualities are still on display today. Style, subject matter, vibe, it can all be traced way back. That's why most hip-hop deals with issues of sex, violence, race, and also why there's a whole lotta braggadocio.These are all very primal and realistic topics that are almost anti-intellectual, which is why a lot of people may find it shallow in that sense, but there can still be plenty of depth. Albums like this one are almost like ethnography's in musical form.

Edit: This is why I don't like white rappers.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2010
You know that break beat, right?
Well, I been takin' it to some next level sh i t.
Like, I'll take that and put a delay on it,
so it's like--
[ Imitating Hip-hop Beat ]

So it's, like, evolving, the beat.
So it, like, sounds hella large on the track.
You know what I'm sayin'?

No.

No?
You don't listen to hip-hop?

Uh--

Last edited:

lazee_bass_turd

I EAT STICKERS ALL THE TIME DUDE
Jan 13, 2002
Seriously, re listened to this today and it's honestly a bad ******* album. I get the love for MBDTF, and I even can kinda see why people like Frank Ocean but this is such bull. Rap fans are so easy.
I think they're only easy in the sense that they're very very willing to accept and forgive when a rapper compromises their sound and original style to create a debut that's poppy and overall more appealing to the mainstream. I'm disappointed by this album, not because Kendrick Lamar is wack, but because he's so much better than to resort to making dick jokes and other juvenile bullcrap to fit some crappy hook or saccharine beat.

I want more stuff like this, dude:

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
i dont know, it didnt bother me at all. thought it made sense in the context of that song, where he's basically blowing his ego way out of proportion. kind of the 'i da best' top of the world moment.

also think the song in general is ****in great.

whatever whatever though

jinzorob1

Star
May 13, 2005
I'm not missing the point, you're just missing the fact that the point is trite and lazy. Rap fans don't listen to real music so when they hear something that has some sort of loose narrative they blow their loads and mistake it for something with real substance. This album is offensively transparent, every idea is recycled. It's almost embarrassing. None of the issues on the album are tackled with any sort of grace or subtly, or for that matter in an interesting way. He's a rapper so just because he brings up peer pressure the record is suddenly the deepest thing made all year. If he were a real musician and made a song about peer pressure nobody would take him seriously. I have a clear image of this album. It's a very small child standing in his dads suit, which in actuality is a cheap knock off, thinking he looks like a big boy, walking out to a room full of people who are just proud of him for being able to put on the suit.

btw, comparing a rap album to Boyz N the Hood is lazy, stop it.
Oh c'mon man. I understand you don't like the album but this is just pretentious. "Real music"? What do you define as "real music"? Criticizing hip-hop fans for not listening to "real music" is as stupid as kids today who claim they miss the days of when hip-hop artists made "real hip-hop" when they were born in the late 90's.

Last edited:

Edgehead

IGN’s Tribal Chief
Oct 1, 2005
Seriously, re listened to this today and it's honestly a bad ******* album. I get the love for MBDTF, and I even can kinda see why people like Frank Ocean but this is such bull. Rap fans are so easy.
I think they're only easy in the sense that they're very very willing to accept and forgive when a rapper compromises their sound and original style to create a debut that's poppy and overall more appealing to the mainstream. I'm disappointed by this album, not because Kendrick Lamar is wack, but because he's so much better than to resort to making dick jokes and other juvenile bullcrap to fit some crappy hook or saccharine beat.

I want more stuff like this, dude:

The making dick jokes reference,are you talking about the "Back seat freestyle" song ? Not trying to flame but you know in that song hes rapping from the perspective of a 17 year old doing a freestyle in the back of his friends car right? Its MEANT to sound childish,ignorant etc.Thats the point,it fits into the story.

nestclop

Star
Jun 25, 2001
I believe this fact has been brought to my attention at least 10 times this year. It doesn't change my opinion on the album.

it's 2:49am and i read through all the replies itt. idk why, but I read all of yours. it's funny b/c i dislike maad city. but you dislike it for all the things i was anticipating from it but did not receive. nothing of what u assumed of the album is in the album. in fact i came out of the album slightly offended becuz dude's from compton and he's satirically rapping ignant. like wtf i want real ignant, who does this guy think he is.

like im sure people like swimming pools b/c they think it's a party song. and i think kendrick disguised it as such just to make himself look smart. what a d bag.

anyway, lol @ people here liking mfdoom. this place is so weird.

detaching myself from the original subject ... music is about how it makes u feel. that's it. any argument about substance is laughable to me. ol dirty bastard is one of my favorite rappers and lol if he ever says anything coherent. one of my favorite indie bands is why? and they sing a bunch of random crap.

and since when is music about having a specific identity. i like any music that blows my mind that's it.

i can only conclude sum of u guys hate for the sake of hating. go crawl back into ur caves

Last edited:

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
i dont think swimming pools is that heavily disguised. surely for certan general public types, but its not like overly clever or anything. i think he nailed it, really.

and i think you could consider it both. its not just a party song or a 'dark side of drinking all the time' song. it manages to be both at once. or is that too clever?

nestclop

Star
Jun 25, 2001
it's not to clever. i just don't like the dude. b/c he comes off as a d bag with his messages. like i said i wanted real ignant, not someone acting. basically i don't dislike the music i just dislike him. like every time he says "drank" in swimming pools i grind my teeth. like who is this guy and why does he think this is applicable to my intelligence.

but at least i have a reason for disliking him. some people on this board are just on a high-horse

nestclop

Star
Jun 25, 2001
it is dumb but he sprinkles it throughout the album. like i feel like he's poking fun at people like me. i guess it's a pet peeve. the first half of the album still manages to be extremely catchy and enjoyable when im rly rly high.

and i dont know, i guess b/c mfdoom is like the most mainstream underground u can get. but maybe that's why they mentioned him in the first place? and his music isnt any more mature than, say, kendrick lamar. someone was pointing out how mfdoom is older therefore more mature than hip hop "kids" listen to. like wtf

noles848

No Longer a Noob
Jul 25, 2009
bump? it was like the third thread on the first page.

btw sup guise.

yes but 3 pages is a lot of responses for this board, especially for a rap album.

I like the music, not really a fan of the dude rapping. The last two songs are just unbearable, I feel like I would probably listen to the album again if those two were gone. Who cares.

Last edited:

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
you can say it all except for the race/gay stuff

i hope that its intentional, because thats how it should be (if there has to be a filter/rule)

nestclop

Star
Jun 25, 2001
i am so drunk

and all i gotta say is

lol @ bitch dont kill my vibe what was kendrick THINKING>

just gunna reveal that i enjoy lil b

lmao

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
I like the album, but this thread should have died forever ago. Or at the very least stopped being mostly relevant to the actual album.

Anyway, if I was back home in Florida right now I probably would have witnessed the fight between ASAP Mob and Raider Klan at the ASAP Rocky / Danny Brown / Schoolboy Q show.

tim_south

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 15, 2012
3 pages and we haven't even really talked about the album lol. storytelling is masterful, aoty isn't going to no indie rock, bruh, bruh