HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Ottawa has a spare depth defenseman who doesn’t make sense for them. Maybe he’d fit on your team. Have you ever heard of this fella named ‘Cole’?

I winder if the Sens will even bother asking him to pick a jersey number and report to a practice or game. It seems he was acquired because Pittsburgh needed space and because Ottawa could trade him for some paltry, but positive, value.
I'll send you Hunwick for Cole.

Ottawa will end up trading Cole to an east contender that will play Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Wow, the details are pretty interesting

yeah this trade only hurts Vegas if both teams make the SCF

I can see why some of the eastern fans are getting mad though lol

also if it's true then keeping Brassard out of the west was smart too

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Vegas getting Karlsson?

Commodore has been full of shit more often than not, though. He had Brassard to Winnipeg earlier today, although allegedly that was the play until Vegas stepped in.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Vegas getting Karlsson?

Commodore has been full of shit more often than not, though. He had Brassard to Winnipeg earlier today, although allegedly that was the play until Vegas stepped in.
damn

If Vegas is confident he would stay past 2019 then it might be worth it but Vegas' prospect system is pretty shallow right now

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Yeh, I genuinely don't see what assets Vegas has (that have value to a rebuilding team - current vets aren't what the Sens want) that amount to the value of Karlsson. Cody Glass and a late first doesn't get there.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Not losing Sprong and getting rid of Reaves while trading for a guy signed for two playoff runs.

fry_clapping_with_food_futurama.gif

Losing Cole sucks, but it's obvious why Ottawa would value him over Hunwick (Cole will inevitably be flipped for a ~2nd rounder as a pure rental, while Hunwick has 2 years left). I'm very high on Gustavsson, but there was about a 2% chance of him being Pens property after this deadline one way or another.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Was it Jacobs’ decision to push Thornton out, or was that a management-level decision, not ownership?

That the last deal I can remember that was anywhere near this level of player on the move.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Jumbo Joe was a combination of O'Connell & Gorton wanting to build around St. Patrice and Jacobs' wanting him gone due to "character issues" and his leadership style.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Yeh, I genuinely don't see what assets Vegas has (that have value to a rebuilding team - current vets aren't what the Sens want) that amount to the value of Karlsson. Cody Glass and a late first doesn't get there.
Theodore and Tuch?

I’d be really sad to see Tuch go :(

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Talk has been that a team also taking on Bobby Ryan would get a sweeter deal, but yeah, I'm not sure it would be that much sweeter.

I'm just hoping that if he is moved, he goes out west.

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts

Melnyk is becoming one of the worst owners in the NHL.
He's a world class d-bag, and is tearing down a team that was a 1/4" away from being in the cup finals last season. I think he owns that mantle.

With the staff confiscating anti-Melnyk signs and threatening to throw out fans recording it yeah he might edge Jacobs.

For the record, Charlie is a much better person than Jeremy so expect shit to change when Jeremy retires.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts

We now have Riley Nash and Rick "The Dick" Nash

Also Rags retain 50% of Nash's salary, B's retain 50% of Beleskey's

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
At first glance, seems like a lot for renting Rick Nash.

Well I see it more or less as a late 1st and a defensive prospect for Nash. Nash was playing on a terrible Rangers squad with little to play for. Being on a Stanley Cup contender might rekindle the forward he was not too long ago. Lindgren was honestly our 3rd or 4th best defensive prospect behind Vaakenien, Zboril, and Lauzon. There was no guarantee he was gonna crack the roster any time soon (or at all).

Spooner wasn't going to resign/wanted out in the off-season with us if Arbitration from last year was any indication (he wanted like 3mill + and we only offered like 2.25mill) and he was included to take Beleskey's contract off the books. Sure it's still 1.9mill in dead cap space but we had essentially 3.8mill sitting in the AHL and the buyout for him wasnt gonna be much better. I could also see the Rangers flip Spooner to someone like Nashville for a 3rd.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
I just can't believe a similar package to what the Pens paid for 2 runs with Brassard is what it took to get an expiring 33 year-old, sub-40 point pace Rick Nash. It makes the Bruins better in the now...but I question by how much. I'd much rather have Grabner than Nash in 2018...and Grabner was cheaper.

Now that I've been critical of the move, we can safely assume Nash will find the fountain of youth with Boston.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Leafs get Plekanec and the collective weight of Leafs and Habs fans making much ado about nearly nothing was enough to bring the hfboards servers to their knees.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown

Alright then. Not against it as a depth signing/veteran leadership but it's rather odd
This caught me off guard. I didn't think anything of him at the Olympics. I mean, not a big investment or anything, so no big deal, but...if he looked past it against lower tier players....seems like a waste of time for the B's.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Nashville sent Aberg to Edmonton so they can sign Mike Fisher tomorrow.

So who is working Jagr back in tomorrow for another old timer playoff run?

Last edited:

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
You can have him.

Now the Sens are pissing me off. Just giving Cole away for a 3rd rounder in 3 years? As the first deal of deadline day? The fuck is the hurry when you're getting ass value for a solid rental?

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
I was planning on saying I'm surprised the Blues would be sellers for a second consecutive year on the bubble, but I'd trade an expiring 32 year-old Stastny for that return too.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Probably a slight overpay for Tatar but he’s locked up for another 3 years

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Sens didn’t auction off the estate. Devils added middle-6 depth. All told, a not-bad deadline for my teams.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Nice to see those shiny, new HFBoards servers melted like the Caps under pressure.

I can't believe Pittsburgh didn't pick up a d-man. This feels like a huge mistake.

Even adding a Jordie Benn would have been an extra layer of security. This puts a lot of faith in Matt Hunwick suddenly learning how to play hockey.

Or we could just use the better defenseman in Ruhwedel, but I digress...

Re-signing Hörnqvist helps make up for an otherwise quiet deadline day out of JR, though.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Nice to see those shiny, new HFBoards servers melted like the Caps under pressure.

I can't believe Pittsburgh didn't pick up a d-man. This feels like a huge mistake.

Even adding a Jordie Benn would have been an extra layer of security. This puts a lot of faith in Matt Hunwick suddenly learning how to play hockey.

Or we could just use the better defenseman in Ruhwedel, but I digress...

Re-signing Hörnqvist helps make up for an otherwise quiet deadline day out of JR, though.
If for nothing else, guys get hurt in the playoffs due to increased physical play, desperation, and shot blocking, so an extra body or two would have been ideal. I'd still like to know how the rift between Sullivan and Cole began.

I actually stepped away from news after the deadline passed and didn't even see they extended Hornqvist. That is huge. He would have gotten much more than 5.3M on the open market come J1.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Taylor Hall has now scored at least one point in his past 22 played games.

It's not officially being booked as a 'streak' in NHL terms because he missed some games with injury, and the NHL only counts a streak relative to consecutive games played by the player's team, not games played by the player.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Wow, is Pittsburgh's defense horrid again tonight. Good thing they didn't address it at the TDL. Goaltending behind Murray, who is concussed, is also looking like a disaster lately.

They don't look like they are in the same league as Boston. Through 2 periods tonight, attempted shots are 56 to 19.

Last edited: