Status
Not open for further replies.

tmjedi

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 21, 2004
I have to say a black wonder woman wouldn't bug me that much, it might bug me a little because I envision Wonder Woman has a white girl, but if a black actress is good in the role I'm ok with it. That being said I agree with everyone who says Beyonce would be wrong for the role. Just because she wants the role doesn't mean she's going to get it. Give the role to someone with acting talent.

Hyphen123

Noob
May 10, 2004
As a new age thinker and black man, I am open to the idea of black people taking on roles that would normally be performed by a white actor, but Beyonce ain't gonna work, just like Will Smith as Captain America wouldn't work

Stick to singing Beyonce, and consider making a baby soon for your hubby.

Oct 2, 2005
The problem with this news is that Beyonce only wants to be Wonder Woman because she happens to think that playing a super hero would be fun. I still feel that WB should cast someone based on talent, hopefully, they won't get her just because she happens to be famous in other non-related areas.

darrnix1

Noob
Nov 10, 2008
..two words... HELL and NAW..Beyonce should stick to what she does best..singing. Wonder Woman??? PLEEZE!!

Phlibbit

Prime Member
Jan 13, 2001
Well it just doesn't make sense. I mean, the Amazons weren't black or anything. . .it's like mysteriously having a black person sprout up from a totally all white community.

I have no problem with race or anything, it just doesn't feel right. Besides, didn't they screw up big time with Catwoman?

darrnix1

Noob
Nov 10, 2008
p.s., ... to WB... DON'T! You need a SERIOUS female lead in this role and Miss Beyonce will not do. If you planned on making this comic-book adaptation, STICK WITH THE PROGRAM!! That just pisses me off that she asked to begin with.. I mean WTF?????

Oct 15, 2008
I can't imagine anything making me want to see this movie. Unless they seriously update the costume, i wont help but laugh. Beyonce might not be a great choice, but I could accept it.

megamile15

Noob
Jun 25, 2004
This is a terrible idea. I hate it when characters are changed to fit the actor (or actress) that is playing them instead of someone being cast that fits the role. If Beyonce wants to be a superhero, maybe she should find one that she fits instead of trying to change an established one and messing it up for everyone.

Nov 10, 2008
Should a minority actor be allowed to play a character that's traditionally depicted as caucasian? The answer to this question is simple. Just ask yourself, Does the characters history SPECIFICALLY implicate the characters national origin.

Thor.....Norse god of thunder. Probably should remain caucasian.

The black panther...who's origins are from Africa; should probably remain black.

However, to imply, like some of you have, that Halle Berry shouldn't have been allowed to play catwoman is nonsensical. For what reason? Catwoman, is simply a woman. Her origin story is universal and could be applied to anyone of any race. Hell, there could very well be a latina catwoman, or an asian american catwoman. The fact that the movie was horrible had less to do with Halle Berry's skin color and more do to with the horrible creative choices made by those in charge.

And this whole example of "what if we cast a white actress as storm" mess is nonsense. If you've ever picked up a comic book you'd know her character origins are rooted in Africa. It obviously wouldn't work.

Somebody was actually STILL griping about Michael Clarke Duncan being cast as Kingpin. WHY? There's nothing in that characters origin that prohibits him from being any race. And frankly, I felt MCD was one of the only redeeming things about that movie. SO RELAX already.

As stated before, a lot of these characters were created in a time when minorities were still getting lynched from trees in the deep south. We've come a long way since then and I dont see why a black actor couldn't depict any superhero who's race isn't specifically implicated.

Now, do I think Beyonce is right for Wonder Woman? No. It'd be hard to pass her off as greek or Amazonian. Wonder Womans ethnicity is actually more apart of her character than some of the others. HOWEVER, I would not have a problem with miss Beyonce if she wanted to play Supergirl or any of the other DC comics Heroines.

Jettle1

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2008
Know who I want to see as Wonder Woman? Jhonny Depp. Then give him a green suit and put a question mark on the front and then smack yourself for ever wanting to make a wonder woman movie in the first place. Batman 4.

Killa-wookie

No Longer a Noob
Apr 5, 2003
Apparently, all things in entertainment, especially in hollywood, follow a pre-defined set of politics, and as a result, good stories get f....up, why can't you stick to the canon? accept it already, your "wonderfully conceived creative choices" do nothing but make a big mess of what could be obtained from an un-adultered creative concept. Almost all movie flops are the by-product of a story that it is hampered by whim or ignorance on part of the producers and studios alike.

Jun 22, 2008
Unfortunately it just doesnt work. greek amazon beyonce shouldnt be in the same sentence.

It wont work for the origin i think she could make a good Hawk girl or Catwoman god anyone would be better than halle berry

shynz

Noob
Mar 15, 2007
"I'm all for it. as long as James Belushi can play Dr. Martin Luther King"

I totally rofl'd.

But seriously, our president is black now. Can we keep our wonder woman white...or would that be considered racist?

C

Counterfeitmanjako

Original poster
Only if Jon Heder can play Malcolm X. Or would that be Napoleon X?

Nov 10, 2008
um I don't think that sasha fierce (her new name) would be even a contender for the role. Wonder woman is an iconic figure, and to remain faithful to the source material she isn't beyonce, that doesn't mean it won't be done it just won't be a good choice of dc comics if she does this. that is why the film industry made hancock for will smith so he too could be a superhero. I mean it would be as abyssmal as Shaq in steel.....

Nov 7, 2006
OK, this idea sucks about as hard as the idea to have eddie murphy as batman(and as a comedy). FURTHERMORE, she cant really act. Third, are amazon woman more belivable as white, black, or whatever skin..and give me a break Beyonce with your comment about its time for it..Most of the people who would want to see a wonder woman movie want wonder woman to be portrayed as she has/is in the comics since her creation...im just glad that she has both boobs( if you dont know the reference, then go look up what a amazon is)....and its not racial everytime someone mentions that its a bad idea for a person of color to portray someone on the screen or otherwise..get off your high horse this is a new era in history.

Nov 7, 2006
there has been other news of late that has been on the watery end of a piece of shit dangling off a chubby guy whacking it off to a hustler:
1) THE REMAKE OF OLDBOY.....
2) THE KARATE KID REMAKE..

kingmamba

Prime Member
Aug 14, 2008
Oh please no. She is everywhere getting tired of seeing beyonce. Wonder woman could be lantino looking but not black. Beyonce could be another amazon character but not wonder woman. Hell give it to JLO or Alba. Thats as crazy as having justin timberlake play blade! And before anyone says anything I am black.

kingmamba

Prime Member
Aug 14, 2008
Its simple wonder woman is white. If there was a big screen Othello played by a white man all the black community would be up in arms about it lol and if they make wonder woman hell no not beyonce, my god give someone else a chance. Its not racist to want a character portrayed how they are in the source material. Woudl we want to see a white kunta kunte? I think not. And by the way teh white dragonball Z characters make no sense, should be asian. And again before you all say anything Im black.

ddaveyh

Noob
Nov 11, 2008
Forgetting for a moment Lynda Carter and the comics...Beyonce - get real. She can't act, she's cheese with a Velveeta label, and the complexity of the character requires more than someone who would just look good in the outfit. Just because WW is "bootylicious" doesn't mean that airheaded self-proclaimed "actress" should play her. The parts she has played has been because 1) she looked good in a tight, low-cut dress or 2) because someone told her she could carry a tune...which is debatable. Ethnicity is not the issue here - finding someone who can pull off the role is and she isn't it. If the script is decent, the director top drawer, and the actress chosen not just for her body but for her ability to play the part, all will be well regardless of the color of her skin or ethnic background.

Nov 25, 2004
Give her some acting lessons and do the same kind of make-up as Robert Downey wore in Tropic Thunder. It could be interesting...

PCrystal

Noob
Nov 11, 2008
Beyonce Wonder Woman is ridiculous!!! Why is it ok for people to change a Great Thing...The Comics should stay the way they are written...She can barely act let a lone be one Wonder Woman.("It's time for that, right?") Time, Time for what to ruin a great Super Hero...

Jul 14, 2008
NO!!!!! Wonder Woman is white. I swear if they make wonder woman or captain america black im gonna flip out. Its not that I dont wanna see black people in the movies its that they are not black characters. Can you imagine if they made Shaft white...there would be riots. Its not fair. Wonder Woman was white, she needs to stay white. I swear marvel better realise they will piss off millions of fans if they make a mistake like that. They took the Nutty Professor and made him black, Dr. Doolittle the made black, The honeymooner......Honeymooners they made black. Its not fair to the fans ar the source material.

Golden_T-Mac10

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 14, 2007
i'll be honest, the only two people i could even stand being wonder woman are angelina jolie and alicia keyes.

Aug 20, 2008
Personally, I think Charisma Carpenter would make the best Wonder Woman. Back in the day, Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) would have been a great choice for the title role. Beyonce should stick to her singing and not pursue any major acting deals, especially in the comic book universe.

Jul 14, 2008
angelina jolie and alicia keys......your mad those are both horrible choices. That Aussie model Gale Force has teh look but I dont know if she can act

K

kinjohentai

Original poster
WHAT!?!? BEYONCE!?!? HAHAHAHAHAH!!! THATS THE ABSOLUTE DUMBEST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD!!!

crowden

Noob
Jul 16, 2002
Oh right, it's time for that. Next, let's cast Denzel as Superman. And for that bio-pic on Michael Jordan, let's get Hanks to play MJ. That Hanks can pull off anything!

wknapik

Noob
May 23, 2008
I don't think that there's any need for people to get worked up over this. First, she's only expressing an interest in playing Wonder Woman. Half of the actresses in Hollwood would probably like to play WW. Wanting it doesn't make it so.

Second, it will probably be another 15 years before this movie even starts to be made. Beyonce will be too old by then, even if her acting improves 100 percent.

That said, I don't see why they couldn't cast a black woman as WW, provided she's imposing enough and her name isn't Beyonce. It might seem like it would be jarring, but you never know.

Jettle1

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2008
Who cares, as comics go Wonder Woman is like the bottom rung, you cant even find a Wonder Woman comic in my town. Get Warwick Davis to play Wonder Woman for all that it matters, no one is going to see this piece anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.