Rashad1992

Almost Not a Noob
May 24, 2008
Please don't read unless you finished the game: (Did anyone else think that the end of the Demise fight was a massive cop-out by Nintendo? The way he curses Link and Zelda, which accounts for Ganondorfs constant resurrections? I thought that was very 'meh', and I wished Nintendo came up with something different)

Last edited:

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
^Oh, it was a huge cop-out, didn't make in-game sense, and (if we ignore the in-game plot hole and place the events of SS before Ganondorf ever appears) completely cheapens every single villain that the curse is supposed to affect. Why can't villains have their own motives for doing evil rather than having to be [hl=black]tied to some ancient, power-hungry demon[/hl]?

Rashad1992

Almost Not a Noob
May 24, 2008
^Oh, it was a huge cop-out, didn't make in-game sense, and (if we ignore the in-game plot hole and place the events of SS before Ganondorf ever appears) completely cheapens every single villain that the curse is supposed to affect. Why can't villains have their own motives for doing evil rather than having to be [hl=black]tied to some ancient, power-hungry demon[/hl]?
I know, right?![hl=black] This story mechanic, IMHO, greatly hinders villians potential back-story and motives; from now on, we will believe that all monsters are just spawns of Demises' hatred. Nintendo can fix this, I would imagine, by sealing up his residual hatred and thus ending the curse, but that will mean no more Ganondorf...[/hl]

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
I know, right?![hl=black] This story mechanic, IMHO, greatly hinders villians potential back-story and motives; from now on, we will believe that all monsters are just spawns of Demises' hatred. Nintendo can fix this, I would imagine, by sealing up his residual hatred and thus ending the curse, but that will mean no more Ganondorf...[/hl]
Exactly. Of course I try to fix it to myself by simply ignoring what Nintendo has said and what their intentions probably were by just sticking by the in-game logic presented within SS (which says that [hl=black]Link's wish on the Triforce annihilated every vestige of Demise, including whatever hatred would be left to fuel his curse[/hl], thus making the curse non-existence outside of the events of SS. [face_tongue] Problem solved for me. (Less so where Nintendo is concerned as they make future games with their mistake in mind...)

hcpaki95

Noob
May 31, 2012
It's not that most people HATE Skyward Sword, but many do acknowledge that it isn't perfect and has its flaws. For me, one of its most redeeming features was the swordplay and the story (and Ghirahim, who was very interesting), but I DO have some complaints about some other things. That doesn't mean I didn't love the game, because I did :) But it definitely has flaws in some of the areas that you mentioned.

GRAPHICS -
PROS: No complaint. I thought Skyward Sword was really pretty, and its graphics were definitely better than those of Twilight Princess, contrary to some opinions. (I'm not saying its STYLE was better, necessarily, but its GRAPHICS were - there IS a difference). It could have been more realistic, like Twilight Princess, but this wasn't really a dark game and I felt that its watercolor graphics really fit with the game. They were definitely up to standard, especially considering the Wii's limitations, and I never found myself annoyed by them.

OVERWORLD
PROS:
The world below the clouds was extremely detailed and much less barren than in past games. It was condensed and there was a lot of detail involved.

CONS:
It's not that it didn't have enough on it, it just annoyed me how Hyrule was so disjointed and you had to warp back up to the sky to access new areas. The world below had plenty of enemies and scenery, but there also weren't very many secrets to it either, which would have been more preferable. As for the sky having many islands, most of those islands were useless because all they had on them was a goddess cube treasure chest. The only town was Skyloft (unless you count Pumpkin Landing, etc.) and it wasn't even that large and didn't have much to do; I felt like this game lacked the sidequests and wealth of secrets that are usually a Zelda trademark. I wouldn't have minded so much if there were more sky islands worth exploring, more secrets to discover.

MUSIC
PROS: orchestrated...
CONS:
There was nothing wrong with the music in Skyward Sword. However, most of the music wasn't (in my opinion) as memorable or as striking as Zelda music usually is (with some exceptions, such as some of the Lanayru desert themes, Fi's theme, and a few others). A notable example of Zelda's phenomenal music is Wind Waker - that game had an amazing soundtrack, and there was very few music that grated on your ears (though the Windfall music might have gotten annoying after a while, it was nowhere as annoying as the Skyloft music). Even now I still remember many of the Wind Waker soundtracks fondly - for Skyward Sword, on the other hand, I don't even remember most of the tunes because they just didn't stick out to me. I was just hoping that Skyward Sword's music would be up to that par, but it wasn't. Not that it's really a big deal, but it is a flaw that I noticed in the game.

DIFFICULTY
PROS:
I did like the swordplay :) That was definitely a lot more difficult than in past games, even Ocarina, because of the Wii motion plus and the intuitive ways you had to fight battles. So that's one thing that was perfect in difficulty :)

CONS:
There should have been MUCH LESS HAND HOLDING. I have complaints about Skyward Sword's difficulty, but not that it was too hard - more that it was too EASY. I'm not talking about the swordplay/battles here, those were difficult enough; I'm referring to puzzles, secrets, and what to do next in the game. Not only did Fi constantly pop up and state the obvious (it wasn't even optional, she often did so whether you wanted her to or not, EVEN during Hero Mode), but they even threw in dowsing and Sheikah stones to eliminate the last bit of mystery from what had to be done. I had very few moments in the game where I actually had to sit and think about what I had to do, or where I felt a rush of satisfaction after discovering some obscure secret or blasting open a hard to find secret cave. Instead, I was constantly told what to do by Fi - "Master, I detect a 99% chance that you should now go through this door that you have just unlocked. That is probably the way forward." (Okay, yeah, maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration. But you get my drift.)

So overall, no, I didn't hate Skyward Sword, and nor should anyone. It was a great and enjoyable game. However, it definitely had its flaws and I happened to see some in its overworld, music, and difficulty (too easy in some aspects) - so if people complain about Skyward Sword, they may have some good reason.

Haha that was a whole lot longer than I originally intended it to be...

Rashad1992

Almost Not a Noob
May 24, 2008
Too easy.
This is Legend of Zelda, the games that defines the action/adventure genre. They should pose a challenge.
Less (I would prefer none) hand-holding, less hints to enemy weaknesses (too much eye stabbing), and less linearity.
I hope Ninty will do the following:
  • Full voice acting
  • Enemies are difficult because of their speed/strength as opposed to 'repeatedly swing your sword in the right direction to kill them'
  • More secrets spread across the overworld (and by secrets, I mean seriously hidden, unexpected, hard to reach treasures and locations)
  • A more fleshed out and consistent storyline with deep character development
I still enjoyed SS; these were just points that I think will improve the series (in my humble opinion ;)).

Indalecio666

Super Star
Aug 4, 2001
Because some people don't like having fun

This. Skyward Sword is awesome.

Juggleguy said:
Threads like these only show me that you cannot ****ing please everyone. I'm ashamed that we constantly put so much unnecessary pressure and criticism on the producers of Zelda.

Fully censor profanity. You know better. -Falcor

Our constant bitching is good for them, and the final product.

Not really. Nintendo doesn't pay much attention to it's fans and for good reason. A lot of them are idiots and have terrible ideas about what they think should go in a game.

Last edited:

tyrdon78

Noob
Sep 18, 2011
'And yeah, I have flown to them. I visit them all the time. There are islands with chests that I take mark off, islands with places I couldn't explore that I got back to, mini game islands, and even the rocks I visited often for the speed boost or (if I was less lucky) had enemies on it.' Are you saying that after you sent a godess cube up and opened the corresponding chest you went back to that floating rock? There were several that were just that; a floating rock that you can't even land on. It wouldn't have been hard to add content to some. Another thing I felt dissapointed in was flying at night, why couldn't we? It just seems like shortcuts were taken and that wasn't always how Nintendo was previous titles added onto the franchise, Skyward Sword just didn't deliver for me.
Kikwi’s…Mogma’s..? Ok they can be cute and funny sometimes, but what do they add to the storyline itself? That’s the problem…except for giving some small advice and giving some items to you, what more do they offer as a part of the story? Is there any connection between those characters with you, Zelda, Girahim, Demise or Steve/Fi? Where any of the characters even aware what was going on? That the world was in danger? I really missed some valuable characters throughout the game.
See what I mean? The characters below the clouds where just pointless beings. And THAT was why for example ocarina Of Time was such a success. In ocarina of Time most characters felt attached to the story, and they all knew or at least sensed there was something going on…but in Skyward Sword…you never had the feeling that you were about to save the world, know what I mean? Even in Skyloft itself no one actually really knew what was going on…and that doesn’t set the right mood for kicking evil’s ass…It makes you feel isolated.

ExplodedSoda

Shake it, baby
Nov 13, 2011
Reading all this debate has gotten me all excited to start Skyward Sword, since it got pushed further and further back on my game backlog. Think I'll finally have to start this weekend.

Xiaber

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 6, 2010
'And yeah, I have flown to them. I visit them all the time. There are islands with chests that I take mark off, islands with places I couldn't explore that I got back to, mini game islands, and even the rocks I visited often for the speed boost or (if I was less lucky) had enemies on it.' Are you saying that after you sent a godess cube up and opened the corresponding chest you went back to that floating rock? There were several that were just that; a floating rock that you can't even land on. It wouldn't have been hard to add content to some. Another thing I felt dissapointed in was flying at night, why couldn't we? It just seems like shortcuts were taken and that wasn't always how Nintendo was previous titles added onto the franchise, Skyward Sword just didn't deliver for me.
Kikwi’s…Mogma’s..? Ok they can be cute and funny sometimes, but what do they add to the storyline itself? That’s the problem…except for giving some small advice and giving some items to you, what more do they offer as a part of the story? Is there any connection between those characters with you, Zelda, Girahim, Demise or Steve/Fi? Where any of the characters even aware what was going on? That the world was in danger? I really missed some valuable characters throughout the game.
See what I mean? The characters below the clouds where just pointless beings. And THAT was why for example ocarina Of Time was such a success. In ocarina of Time most characters felt attached to the story, and they all knew or at least sensed there was something going on…but in Skyward Sword…you never had the feeling that you were about to save the world, know what I mean? Even in Skyloft itself no one actually really knew what was going on…and that doesn’t set the right mood for kicking evil’s ass…It makes you feel isolated.

I'm not sure what games do have the characters adding story to the game. Even in Ocarina of Time, I don't really think the Zora, Gorons, etc added anything story wise if you don't think the races from Skyward Sword did. The races below the cloud definitely realized there was danger, though. And about the people above the clouds not knowing, well I'm pretty sure OOT and MM are the only games where people do realize the threat of what's going on. Even then, I didn't really see most people in OOT caring about it. They just went on with their lives (ie. carpenters, people in Kakariko, Malon and Talon, the kakori after you beat the forest temple, the gorons after you beat the fire temple, the gerudo).

Jun 23, 2012
To be honest, I LOVE SKYWARD SWORD it is my 2nd favorite behind ocarina of time. I love the graphics, the motion controls, and the music was great (ballad of the goddess anyone?) but the thing that makes a zelda game a zelda is the magical experience which i have had in almost every zelda (especially skyward sword)

Toddv1997

Noob
May 24, 2012
I have realy enjoyed skyward sword a lot! the music is great, the motion controls are an improvment from TP, and the story was Realy good! I got the game for Chirstmas and i found it being my favorite Christmas gift of the year. And I for one have not heard of anyone complaing about the game, even at school.

usafholmes

Noob
Oct 27, 2010
These threads make me laugh so much. Not because people are expressing opinion, but because it allows me to see just how fickle and finicky the masses have become now. Instead of giving a company its fair share of criticism, hoping to provide a company some insight on what gamers expect/ want from their titles, many consumers/gamers immediately jump on the "this game sucks because of a handful of minor things I didn't like, so I'm going to completely drop every single game and console I've ever owned by this company because this one single game has shown me that they don't care in the slightest about anyone or anything" bandwagon. Seriously, it's a riot reading these posts.

Anyway, I literally just finished playing Skyward Sword (SS) about 30 minutes ago, and I must say that the game was an absolute delight. I enjoyed a good majority, although there were a few minor things here and there that bothered me They might not even be what you think.

Let's go over some things that people seem to loathe the most: controls, graphics, and storyline.

First, controls. The Wii was designed with motion controls in hand. Early in the console's life, the Wii Remote only had a basic accelerometer that wasn't really all that precise. It got the job done, but for those tricky, precise maneuvers, you were typically reliant on the IR functionality, which wouldn't really do much good in a sword fighting game that involves swinging a sword left and right. Nintendo eventually remedied this with the Wii MotionPlus add-on and the Wii Remote Plus. Now, true 1:1 motion controls could be recognized, and the reliance on "waggle" would be a thing of the past. With that said, the practice of wiggling my wrist to slice and dice in Twilight Princess (TP) wasn't really appreciated by myself. From the beginning of that game, I had actually hoped for a way to actually wave my sword around, directing it where I wanted, and having it swing where I wanted it swung. Over the course of playing TP, I eventually got used to the waggle, and accepted it.

When SS came along, I was so used to the waggle concept, that the first few hours of playing were kind of an awkward learning curve for me. I had to constantly remind myself not to just flick my wrist, but to actually think about what I was doing, where my sword was going, and how I was going to slice and dice. After a while, I stopped instinctually wiggling, and began hacking and slashing with ease. It felt more natural, and it actually made things easier, than waiting on a cue for a pre-scripted move to act out (the parry from Wind Waker (WW) comes to mind). This was finally a Zelda game where I truly felt like I was in control, and when I game a beat down, I felt like I was doing it, not just sending inputs to a character and letting him do all the work.

If there is any negative to the motion controls, it would be the flying/swimming aspect. I often found myself spinning or missing things I needed to collect when navigating with the Wii Remote. Personally, I would have enjoyed an option to switch to a different control scheme, but these instances were few and far between, not enough for me to give an unjust scolding to Nintendo for implementing them.

Secondly, graphics. While the Wii isn't known as a technical powerhouse in any aspect (unless you're comparing it to consoles of old), Nintendo always has had a penchant for adding a good deal of character and depth to their games, whether it be in character models, backgrounds, environments, etc., and this is no exception. Nintendo definitely hit the ball out of the park on this game in terms of graphical prowess. I haven't been more dazzled by something running in 480p in a long time. The problems that most people seem to have are actually very minor in contrast to the game. "Link looks stupid", "Groose is dumb", "Why is everything all watercolor?" It's artistic license, and Nintendo is simply trying out things. I still remember when WW was demoed and everyone loathed the graphics in that game, calling it "Cel-da" and "absolute crap". Looking at it now, many people seem to have a much different opinion than they did before. Was it just because it was a shock to them? Was it because they genuinely didn't like it, but it grew on them? Who's to say? But it's shocking just to see how quickly the fan base turned, then slowly (and quietly) it came back with praise.

SS has a unique art style. It does this because if the game is going to look the same, it's almost insulting to the gamers. There's a reason we are making things look different, and typically better (there are some exceptions in the gaming world). People do like change, because the same thing, over and over, gets extremely boring, and it tells us that the developers don't care enough to stray from a formula (story arcs are exempt from this with enough change, if they weren't, we would have been done at Zelda II). If I had to say anything about SS's art direction, it actually caters to its story. The game is one of the earliest (if not the earliest) point there is in the Zelda storyline. The look adds a sort of antiquity to it, it's not super sharp lines, it's not super rich detail. It's a little dingy, a bit weathered. It has a pop, but it's almost as if it's sort of fuzzy, like a long forgotten memory that's being retold. For a game that's supposedly telling a story that's ages old, it certainly gives it the aged look. And that's a good thing.

Finally in our list of common gripes, we have storyline. This seems to be one of the biggest hot points that I've seen with this game. People either loved it, or hated it. Some think there wasn't enough story, some people think it was a perfect amount. I will agree that the storyline wasn't the absolute strongest in a Zelda game, but let's think back to how this franchise started. Back in 1986, when players first started up The Legend of Zelda (LoZ) on their NES, they were given a story that said:
MANY YEARS AGO PRINCE
DARKNESS "GANNON" STOLE
ONE OF THE TRIFORCE WITH
POWER. PRINCESS ZELDA
HAD ONE OF THE TRIFORCE
WITH WISDOM. SHE DIVIDED
IT INTO " 8 "UNITS TO HIDE
IT FROM "GANNON" BEFORE
SHE WAS CAPTURED.
GO FIND THE 8 UNITS
"LINK" TO SAVE HER.
Grammatical and spelling errors aside, this was pretty much the only back story you got before, and during the game. The only real conclusion you received was when you finished the game, which was more or less a "You win!" screen. Looking at the official timeline, LoZ was placed somewhere near the end of the timeline, making it one of the more recent adventures where there could be tons and tons of backstory. When you start at the beginning though, as you do in SS, you don't really have any backstory, so you need to craft what you can with what you have. The premise behind SS's story is actually pretty easy to follow and simple to understand why most of the inhabitants don't really know anything. There was a war that happened many eons before SS's story took place. Many lives were lost, many belongings and relics destroyed. Those who survived to tell the tale did so, but only with what knowledge they have. They passed down their fresh knowledge to their children, and their children to their children and so on. Over time, details were skewed, stories were embellished, and names and locations forgotten. After eons, history was only a fragment what it was, to the point that the humans, who were descended from surface inhabitants, and are now living in Skyloft were convinced there was nothing below the clouds. Just emptiness. How's that for historical records?

You could argue that the villains could have had a back story, but in keeping with a more logical look at things, that would require a lot of careful work to make sure that you weren't trampling on some piece of lore from a "future" (read: previous) game. Not knowing who characters are also adds for new possibilities, and new story lines. Why pidgeon-hole yourself with lore about characters that you really don't interact with? You have a few boss fights, sure, but that's kind of about it. No villain is going to stand and start waxing poetic about his whole life story just before he guts you. That's not a villain. That's a cry-baby who's pleading for attention, and a hug from someone who cares.

As I mentioned before, there were a few things that bothered me about SS. The flying/swimming mechanic was cumbersome at times, and the overworld wasn't as large or varied as it has been in previous games. But these are quite minor complaints I have. I'm not looking to spend hours on some silly side game, nor am I looking to just warp from place to place. The over world was good for what it was. A big empty sky, with some curiosities thrown in.

Some of my favorite aspects of the game?

Fi. Without a doubt the least annoying sidekick in a Zelda game yet. She only popped up when you were almost dead, your shield was almost broken, or you needed some kind of general direction on where to go. No more "HEY!" "LISTEN!" every 10 seconds, no flying fairy to constantly have to listen fly around and lock onto things. Fi was quiet, but was always available whenever you wanted her. The only annoying thing about her was when she sang the harp songs. She just looked weird.

The music. I've never had a problem with the MIDI compilations on previous games, because they were done so well, and were far more dynamic in what they were able to do. For instance, with a pre-recorded orchestral piece, if I have background music playing, then I approach an enemy, the "track" needs to switch to something else, to give the player an audible cue that there is danger close by. With a MIDI composition, the music would alter itself dynamically, adding in instruments, becoming a lower tone, etc., without having to change completely. That being said, however, the music in this game was extremely well written and composed with only a handful of tracks being mediocre. If I could get the official soundtrack on iTunes, I would.

And lastly, I'd have to say the weapons/items. The weapons and items in this game were made fantastically, and the designers took a lot of time to make sure that they were used on a regular basis, not just in one dungeon, never to be touched again. There were also a good number of them, without becoming overwhelming. The only two items I found myself not using all that often were the bug net and slingshot (although the latter was used a lot toward the end game). The idea that this Link was taking a sword and creating the true Master Sword that is used from there on throughout the series was also incredible and very satisfying. If there are two things I want back from this game, it's the Clawshots and Beetle. Completely indispensable.

Other than that, I really don't have much else to say about SS. It was a great game, and incredibly fun. There were a few minor things here and there, but I think Nintendo should hold their heads high, and I look forward to another game from them. I just hope that instead of gamers rushing to snap decisions, they give the game its due time. Sit down, think about it, and provide some kind of constructive criticism, rather than outright bashing the title.

Last edited:

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
Fi. Without a doubt the least annoying sidekick in a Zelda game yet. She only popped up when you were almost dead, your shield was almost broken, or you needed some kind of general direction on where to go.
I wish I had bought your copy of the game. My copy came with a Fi that was more invasive than any previous sidekick, provided frequent unasked-for hints about the most obvious things, and failed to provide me with any emotional connection to her whatsoever. (Also, if you think Navi was popping up every 10 seconds asking you to press C-Up and give her a listen, it might be about time for a replay of OoT. It sounds like your emotional memory is getting the better of you.)

Over time, details were skewed, stories were embellished, and names and locations forgotten.
But this idea of a mistaken history isn't at all supported by the games. Every single one of the 16 games we've gotten have always shown us (except in technically two instances) that the events that are remembered are always remembered accurately. Not every detail is remembered, true, but the details that are remembered are never remembered incorrectly. (The only two technical exceptions being 1) the Legend of the Fairy, in which the story of MM Tingle is accurately told with the exception that Tingle is said to be a fairy (though the tale seems to have been passed down by Tingle and his followers, so either they embellished that one detail since they all (or at least Tingle) strove to be fairies, or Tingle eventually did manage to become a fairy after the events of MM and this detail was introduced into the story of Tingle's life this way), and 2) Fi actually says in SS that the oral method of history recollection is the weakest method of keeping these details accurate (but of course she says this in a game when you actually visit the past and see that every detail mentioned in the tales matches up exactly with what actually happened...).

You could argue that the villains could have had a back story, but in keeping with a more logical look at things, that would require a lot of careful work to make sure that you weren't trampling on some piece of lore from a "future" (read: previous) game.
Why would that stop Nintendo? They trampled all over every bit of lore we'd received about the Master Sword up to that point (assuming the Master Sword from SS is supposed to be the same sword as the one from the other games).

Not knowing who characters are also adds for new possibilities, and new story lines. Why pidgeon-hole yourself with lore about characters that you really don't interact with?
For the narrative and atmosphere. We know we're going to have to interact with these villains eventually. Why not give us more information about them to really give us a sense of the impossible feat we're going to have to pull by attempting to defeat them, giving us a reason to fear them, or even giving us a reason to pity and/or sympathize with them.

And this can be done without the villain himself telling you his whole life story. Many games have done it before.

But my biggest problem with the game's story was all the plot holes and cop-outs rather than any of the things you specifically detailed.

jaissal

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 25, 2005
Personally, I loved Skyward Sword! I expected it to be different from past games. Didn't Miyamoto say that Twilight Princess will be the last game of its kind? or somethink to that effect. Skyward Sword had lots of charm to it. My opinion is that Charm and Zelda fits really well. At least with that graphical style anyway. I someone considers a Zelda game easy...even Hero Mode...Doesn't that just make you a really skilled/experienced player. I think Skyward Sword was meant to be 'linear' in some way. i remember that word during its development. This may make games these days a little easier. I recall Cliff Blezsinski tweeting that.

I agree with the people who said 'not to let other peoples views bother you'. Enjoy that game as much as you can. Some games won't always meet your expectations. No game is perfect. That is my opinion.

I want Zelda Wii U to be a 'next generation Zelda' in some form. Though i'm not sure what that would entail. The HD Tech Demo at E3 2011 showed this a little with that Massive Gohma Boss. I think that the graphics style that they used there could be a great fit for the next Zelda game. Though I want some Charm from Skyward Sword in it too.

These are my opinions.

Grunt76

Noob
Jul 17, 2008
DemonKingDemise said:
As for music, I'm not seeing the issue. I cannot fathom a reason as to why people thought Orchestra would make things sound so much better. What I saw was exactly what I expected the whole time: More or less the same quality of music.

Because THIS is what an orchestra did for Super Mario:

And this:
As well as this:
I don't think it's unfair to expect something similar from Zelda, and Skyward Sword didn't deliver that.

DemonKingDemise said:
Overworld is perhaps the most confusing to me. It was certainly better than Ocarina of Time's which was completely barren. I realize it wasn't on par with Twilight Princess, which had a good deal of enemies, but then again...you just warped in Twilight Princess mostly, so who cares?

Why shouldn't it be on par with Twilight Princess? That was 5 years ago, why are we going backwards?

DemonKingDemise said:
Majora's Mask was almost as barren as Ocarina of Time. To me, this overworld felt like everything Wind Waker wanted to be. The music was grand and adventurous, rather than obnoxious. The scenery was grand and unique, rather than the same color and nothing in eye sight. Not to mention there was islands everywhere the eye could see. I remember waiting forever to spot an island in Wind Waker. Here, I can spot 10 off the bat with ease. The controls were more engaging than than sailing (push 1 button and leave the room) and the only thing the horse has over it is if you're doing horse combat in Twilight Princess. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are easily inferior here.

Majora's Mask was barren? Hardly. 4 distinct areas as well as the outskirts of Clock Town, Dodongos, Bombchus, Chus, all of this without loading. And in comparison Skyward Sword gives us... a big empty space with a bunch of rocks strewn about. There weren't "islands" everywhere the eye could see, they're just rocks. Have you actually flown out to explore them? There is nothing of interest on them. And to bring up the TWW comparison, TWW had some pretty in-depth islands. There was a rather unnecessary 10 minutes of sailing between them, but yeah, there's stuff on them. Skyward Sword has Skyloft, a pub, and a mini-game. You're also missing the point. Ocarina and Majora's Mask HAVE overworlds. Skyward Sword has a glorified hub, and that's it. No towns, barely any NPC's, minimal secrets. You can run around Termina Field all you want without needing to transition to the sky then back to the ground or any other gimmicks. Just a load when you enter a new area. Skyward Sword does not have a cohesive "ground" overworld, which is standard for practically every game in the series. I'm not sure you understand what people like about Majora's Mask if you think the overworld is "easily inferior."

This is 2011. There are incredible games like Batman Arkham City coming out, and yet Nintendo is moving BACKWARDS from what came out 5 years ago. Smaller worlds, less NPC's, less-ambitious art design (look, enough. forest, fire, desert. We get it). Why? How can this be acceptable, from the company that only 4 years ago made Super Mario Galaxy, one of the best games in a decade? Why are they squandering their second-biggest series by having players repeatedly trudge through forest, fire, and desert areas with no compelling overworld and a lack of notable NPC's? We know the series isn't supposed to be Elder Scrolls. That's not what we're asking for. People want each game to be an improvement, and not merely a step sideways, or 1 step forward, 1 step back.

You are my hero. I always have to argue these things when I talk about Skyward Sword. Uhh so many empty rocks in the sky, and so much fricken backtracking!! The second time you have to go to the first temple just for a bottle of water was when I realize I hated this game (plus the backtracking to each area after you finish the 6th dungeon, that is just brutal, I have to collect tadpoles just to prove myself again when I already saved your life dragon person . .. what?!). Is it bad that the first legend of zelda felt like a larger world and had much more exploration? At least the 4th boss, in the Buddhist temple, was amazing, probably one of my favorite boss fights in a zelda game. That alone made the game worth it

Last edited:

Tux5

Noob
Jul 8, 2012
Personally I loved it but then again I've loved pretty much every Zelda that's come out in it's own way.

swested

Noob
Jul 9, 2012
Fi. Without a doubt the least annoying sidekick in a Zelda game yet. She only popped up when you were almost dead, your shield was almost broken, or you needed some kind of general direction on where to go. No more "HEY!" "LISTEN!" every 10 seconds, no flying fairy to constantly have to listen fly around and lock onto things. Fi was quiet, but was always available whenever you wanted her. The only annoying thing about her was when she sang the harp songs. She just looked weird.

Did we play the same game? [face_thinking]

But seriously - I wasn't bothered by the graphics or the controls of SS - they're about as good as it gets from a 5 year old SD system.

What bugged me most, I suppose, was the inescapable sense of linearity and incessant handholding throughout the game. I realize every Zelda game is linear at its core; but none have felt as limited in scope and freedom as SS. I can't quite explain it beyond that; but at every juncture, I felt like I had only one direction to go, and it was usually a narrow pathway through a stage that was impressive artistically but limited creatively. There wasn't the same sense of wonder or discovery that I had felt in prior Zelda entries as far back as the original NES iterations; I felt at all times like I was always in the most 2-dimensional of 3D worlds. The game was far from terrible; but it was equally far from being captivating or enthralling. And mediocrity is not a familiar concept in the Zelda library.

Perhaps I'm just getting old...;)

Last edited:

anaytat217

Noob
Jul 12, 2012
really? no purpose? in my opinion, it was one of the few zelda games where you had the same purpose to the end. in all the other zelda games i've played, it alll boiled down to save the world. i actually felt like i had a purpose in skyward sword.

anaytat217

Noob
Jul 12, 2012
Skyward Sword ends up being just a good Zelda game

The Art style I didn't mind I still prefer TP Style but this one worked good

Game play Progression and Temples: I don't know why Nintendo though back tracking to the same 3 areas was a good idea it made the game world feel small and I really would of liked to explore new lands. I felt that the three areas were well made and I really loved the Lanyru desert the time shift stones really made that place awesome. Out of the 7 Temples I found only three of them to be good: Lanyru Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern, and The Sunken Ship.

Bosses: Koloktos was an awesome Boss really liked the way you had to defeat him. Stalmaster really tested your wii motion control which was fun and challenging. Tentalus was great too and of course Ghirahim was an awesome boss fight. The Ghirahim's final form and the Final Boss are way better then anything Twilight Princess did.

The Story just ends up being okay I really liked the beginning and I liked that they gave Zelda a Personality but I didn't find Link constantly searching for her really engaging and the problem was that was the only story that was going on and "Fi" is probably the worst partner ever after the amazing Midna this is what they come up with? I also felt that forging of the master sword was not interesting at all. Groose had some nice character development which was good to see. Ghirahim was an excellent villain definitely one of the best Zelda ones but I felt that they did not use him to his potential. I also found that this game barely had any darkness to the story it felt really light hearted.
each time you went back, you went to a diffferent place. faron woods,lake hylia, flooded woods. three dirfferent things.i do agree that the koloktos and ghirahim battles were fun.why do you need darkness in a game?

anaytat217

Noob
Jul 12, 2012
if everyone stopped comparing every bit a skyward sword to other zelda games, this thread wouldn't exist. if people stopped treating it as just the begining of the timeline and just looked at the games, not as many people would hate it

Mar 9, 2012
I thought that Skyward Sword was one of the hardest games that I had ever played. Luckily I beat the game, though it took me a few days.

legendofmidna

No Longer a Noob
Nov 23, 2011
Northeastern Maine
I think one big step up with SS was the bosses. I really enjoyed almost all of the SS bosses. They were epic, at least moderately difficult, and conseptually sound. compare this with twilight princess, with rediculously easy and lame bosses (twilit ice mass? worst boss concept ever) as well as being completely unrealistic, to the point that it kinda wasnt really fun. Skyward sword gave us interesting and difficult bosses like girahim, demise, moldarach and especially koloktos. If anything, koloktos will put skyward sword inzelda history as being one of the greatest bosses of all time IMO.

Jul 14, 2012
I hated that every boss battle came down to "swing you're wii-mote in the indicated direction".

I didn't feel the same connection/sense of purpose by the end that I've felt with other games, although I think we got the most emotion out of link in this game (he seemed to really be worried for Zelda)

I didn't like the animation too much, although I guess I didn't hate it. Wait yes I did:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki...a/690px-Tentalus.png/355px-690px-Tentalus.png

EddieS5

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 2, 2003
Skyward Sword ends up being just a good Zelda game

The Story just ends up being okay I really liked the beginning and I liked that they gave Zelda a Personality but I didn't find Link constantly searching for her really engaging and the problem was that was the only story that was going on and "Fi" is probably the worst partner ever after the amazing Midna this is what they come up with? I also felt that forging of the master sword was not interesting at all. Groose had some nice character development which was good to see. Ghirahim was an excellent villain definitely one of the best Zelda ones but I felt that they did not use him to his potential. I also found that this game barely had any darkness to the story it felt really light hearted.
each time you went back, you went to a diffferent place. faron woods,lake hylia, flooded woods. three dirfferent things.i do agree that the koloktos and ghirahim battles were fun.why do you need darkness in a game?

Because I like a sense of atmosphere I like horror movies so I want to see some darkness for me their needs to be some sense of dread. I love the Darkness in Twilight Princess and OOT. Link to the past has good darkness. If SS had darkness it would of been great since it would have more of a balance too it it would similar to OOT in that sense. I agree its three different things but their other things in between and the game had way too much padding.

GTA3AVCASA

I give you a five minute window.
Apr 21, 2005
I haven't beaten Skyward Sward yet, but compared to Twilight Princess it's very enjoyable.

Diecommunists

No Longer a Noob
Dec 14, 2011
i think it's probably because there trying to compare it to Majora's mask personally I thought to be the weakest game in the series but other don't so yeah

cfinne16

Noob
Jul 2, 2012
I thought that Skyward Sword was one of the hardest games that I had ever played. Luckily I beat the game, though it took me a few days.
.....I must question this statement, and ask whether or not you have ever played Majora's Mask or OoT, let alone any of the Metroid Prime games. From the time I entered the dark portal to Demise at the end of the game, it took me less than three minutes to beat the final boss, not counting the cutscenes.

Anyways, I thought that SS was, for the most part, fairly disappointing. I did enjoy the graphics, though personally I preferred TP style. I also have no qualms with the music, which I preferred to most other games.
However, I was thoroughly disappointed with the story in general, save for the beginning, which I did enjoy, although they overstated the Link-Zelda relationship a bit. From the time the Lanayru Mining Facility concluded, the story was virtually non-existent.
Second, I didn't think the bosses were nearly as innovative as the Wii Motion Plus capability could have allowed. Take Scaldera for example. You run up a slope, then either wait for him to step on a bomb flower or throw a bomb at him, then run back down the slope and hit the eye. Not that the other games didn't have easy bosses (Gohma from Oot, for example), but SS had an overabundance of them. On the other hand, Koloktos, Ghrahim, and the Imprisoned were very well planned, but once you defeat them once, you could beat them with your eyes closed.
Finally, the dungeons. I had thought, when I first saw the trailers for SS, that the dungeons would be long, almost drawn out, and exceptionally difficult. In reality, we ended up with... well, Skyview Temple. I would much rather prefer the Water Temple of OoT's difficulty than what we got. In hindsight, however, I did enjoy the Sandship, which confused me to no end, and Sky Keep, which did something rather peculiar for a Zelda game- it gave you the ability to rearrange the rooms of the dungeon, making it necessary to actually think quite a bit in order to complete the Triforce (which seemed rather superficial anyways)
So, I personally do not hate the game, but I don't think it deserves as high of an opinion as OoT, MM, or even WW.

Jun 6, 2012
I don't think Skyward Sword is a bad game. I don't think there are people who completely "hate" the game. Very few games are perfect. We're all different people, so our perceptions of "perfect" are diverse. From what I've seen, everyone simply has critiques on the game. I think every game deserves critique. I'd be more worried if everyone was blindly praising a game. Zelda is a long running, historic franchise. Because of that, it has some long-lasting and very dedicated fans. I've been a fan of the series for almost 14 years. It's hard for some to declare a new game the "best" over a nostalgia favorite. Especially since IGN hyped it up with the whole "Skyward Sword vs. Ocarina of Time" debate. It's still a relatively new game. Some people are drooling over it and some people are shunning it. In a few years, it will be the next Zelda title.

I love the game, yet I agree with most of the people's complaints about it. The Wiimotion+ controls, at least for me, took a long time to get used to. I was so used to a traditional controller that the new controls messed me up. I even put the game aside for a couple of months, which I've never done in a Zelda game before. The first time I played through the game, yes, I found it challenging. Was it horribly difficult? No. But it was harder than I expected. Before you ask, I have played and beaten OoT and MM several times. However, now, I think it's easier than both of them. It just took a matter of getting used to the controls. I think some people don't allow themselves to adjust to the new control system (whether you like it or not, this is the future for Zelda...). Also, the controls do get out of alignment. It's a quick fix, especially if you're using items, but if you think something's off--it is. Fix it. Problem solved. My first battle against Demise my controls were off. I never let that happen again. I wonder this, would it be possible for a future Zelda to have an option for traditional gameplay or motion control? Probably just my idealism kicking in.

I liked the graphic style. I found it appropriate. Like some others on here, I found some parts to be off (Link's lips, Zelda's nose, other tidbits here and there) but I thought the world and characters were beautiful and it was a good compromise for the system, especially considering the Wii's age. I don't care for cel-shading graphics, but that doesn't mean I don't love WW. I was just happy to hear the music orchestrated. While there weren't many memorable tracks, especially in the dungeons, there were a few highlights. I always enjoyed the Ballad of the Goddess and Link and Zelda's friendship theme is cute and appropriate. I understand the overworld debacle--I'm actually not one for major exploration, but even I found the sky to be lacking. As for the dungeons, I neither hate nor love them. I think they're fine. They're enjoyable to play, and that's really all that matters for me. I don't know about all of you, but I loved defeating Kolkotos. Swinging that huge sword was just fun.

Then there's the story. I understand people's opinions and I do see what you all are saying, but this story (after WW, I loved that story) was my favorite. I felt a personal attachment to Zelda. I wanted to save her. I felt peeved at Impa when she told me that I was late. That's when it hit me, it wasn't the story that I loved so much, it was Link's development and his growth into something more than just an avatar. Link had real emotion, he had personality, and he could actually make decisions. I liked the different "speech" options as opposed to "yes" or "no." It wasn't the story I loved, but Link's development. He actually, IMO, had a personality. I enjoyed that.

Bottom line, I love Skyward Sword, but it has its flaws. Honestly, I see flaws in every Zelda title. After you love a series so much, you notice these things, but you enjoy the games regardless. As long as I enjoy playing Zelda, I'll keep buying both the games and their respective consoles.

Wow that was long. Sorry folks! Thanks if you actually took the time to read that. xD

NiKva

eDetective
Jul 19, 2011
People can't take off their nostalgia glasses. Back when OoT came out, there were a ton of people saying it was crap, too.

Super_Kami_Guru

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 24, 2012
.....I must question this statement, and ask whether or not you have ever played Majora's Mask or OoT, let alone any of the Metroid Prime games. From the time I entered the dark portal to Demise at the end of the game, it took me less than three minutes to beat the final boss, not counting the cutscenes.

Anyways, I thought that SS was, for the most part, fairly disappointing. I did enjoy the graphics, though personally I preferred TP style. I also have no qualms with the music, which I preferred to most other games.
However, I was thoroughly disappointed with the story in general, save for the beginning, which I did enjoy, although they overstated the Link-Zelda relationship a bit. From the time the Lanayru Mining Facility concluded, the story was virtually non-existent.
Second, I didn't think the bosses were nearly as innovative as the Wii Motion Plus capability could have allowed. Take Scaldera for example. You run up a slope, then either wait for him to step on a bomb flower or throw a bomb at him, then run back down the slope and hit the eye. Not that the other games didn't have easy bosses (Gohma from Oot, for example), but SS had an overabundance of them. On the other hand, Koloktos, Ghrahim, and the Imprisoned were very well planned, but once you defeat them once, you could beat them with your eyes closed.
Finally, the dungeons. I had thought, when I first saw the trailers for SS, that the dungeons would be long, almost drawn out, and exceptionally difficult. In reality, we ended up with... well, Skyview Temple. I would much rather prefer the Water Temple of OoT's difficulty than what we got. In hindsight, however, I did enjoy the Sandship, which confused me to no end, and Sky Keep, which did something rather peculiar for a Zelda game- it gave you the ability to rearrange the rooms of the dungeon, making it necessary to actually think quite a bit in order to complete the Triforce (which seemed rather superficial anyways)
So, I personally do not hate the game, but I don't think it deserves as high of an opinion as OoT, MM, or even WW.

Ocarina of Time was by far the easiest Zelda game I've played(except for the water temple and Forest temple, those were a pain). But I enjoyed SS nonetheless, it is my favorite Zelda game. It did so many things right, but I didn't like the overworld that much, the exploration on the ground was there, just not as much as other Zelda games. But still, it is there

Ocarina of Time was by far the easiest Zelda game I've played(except for the water temple and Forest temple, those were a pain). But I enjoyed SS nonetheless, it is my favorite Zelda game. It did so many things right, but I didn't like the overworld that much, the exploration on the ground was there, just not as much as other Zelda games. But still, it is there

yeah orcarina was preety easy had no trouble with bosses but i admitt i did get lost in the deku tree -_-

yeah i have to agree with Super_Kami_Guru the hardest zelda game for me was majoras mask because of the moon always crushing and killing me and metroid prime is really hard i'm playing this one beat the first level on the ship then i get to the second see the big-a$$ plant thing flagura or something and still can't beat it and i'ts not even the boss it's how to get the varia? suit i can't remember how to spell it but the suit that is fire resistant

theamazinghoodie

No Longer a Noob
Jun 9, 2010
One thing that I think has been lost in all of the arguments going on back and forth on motion control, difficulty, overworld design, and storyline is the amount of player discovery in the game. Skyward Sword is by far the most "hand-holdiest" Zelda game I have ever played, and in a game about adventuring and discovering the unknown, I think that hurts it a lot. When Fi pulls you over every 5 minutes to explain what the latest item you just got was, or give you a detailed overview of a new area, it gets in the way of the player's exploration. The game sacrifices a lot of the player's own personal discovery by having Fi simply tell you everything you need to know instead of letting you find out yourself.

The video below is an excellent analysis of how a different game, Super Metroid, went out of its way to avoid having to explain things to the player. It deliberately set up situations that would make it simple for the player to figure out how to work the controls, to fight effectively, to use powerups, etc, without ever needing to stop the flow of the game and explain things with text. I'm not saying that every game needs to be as good as Super Metroid to be good; but the fact that Skyward Sword completely goes in the exact opposite direction of letting the player discover things definitely detracted from the experience for me (and I won't even begin to go into how badly it threw off the game's pacing).

theamazinghoodie

No Longer a Noob
Jun 9, 2010
One thing that I think has been lost in all of the arguments going on back and forth on motion control, difficulty, overworld design, and storyline is the amount of player discovery in the game. Skyward Sword is by far the most "hand-holdiest" Zelda game I have ever played, and in a game about adventuring and discovering the unknown, I think that hurts it a lot. When Fi pulls you over every 5 minutes to explain what the latest item you just got was, or give you a detailed overview of a new area, it gets in the way of the player's exploration. The game sacrifices a lot of the player's own personal discovery by having Fi simply tell you everything you need to know instead of letting you find out yourself.

The video below is an excellent analysis of how a different game, Super Metroid, went out of its way to avoid having to explain things to the player. It deliberately set up situations that would make it simple for the player to figure out how to work the controls, to fight effectively, to use powerups, etc, without ever needing to stop the flow of the game and explain things with text. I'm not saying that every game needs to be as good as Super Metroid to be good; but the fact that Skyward Sword completely goes in the exact opposite direction of letting the player discover things definitely detracted from the experience for me (and I won't even begin to go into how badly it threw off the game's pacing).

I definitely bitched about this extensively

But yeah

Skyward Sword can be summed up with

>great controls
>awful characters
>Pete Wentz Emo villain
>terrible story
>terrible presentation
>terrible overworld
>horseshit handholding
>fucking robots what the fuck
Ah. Well I missed that then.

I don't think the character design is bad by any extent. The characters in and of themselves are some of the more colorful and memorable you'll run into, and I would even say that I prefer Ghirahim and his silly antics to another round of Ganon/Ganondorf/stereotypical lawful evil guy. The cast has some sense of personality behind them, but the story mismanages this personality and makes the majority of the characters that you spend time with be the most boring of all.

Story's mediocre, but I think terrible's going too far. The biggest places where it messes up is the amount of interaction you have with Zelda (the character that we're supposed to be caring about should be one that we talk to more than twice after the game's introductory section), and I wish that some of the plot sequences weren't so contrived, but other than that it's no worse than the story behind the rest of the Zelda series, which besides Majora's Mask and the majority of Wind Waker has been thoroughly mediocre anyway.

Sword controls are great, pretty much everything else suffers because of Wii Motion Plus.

Other than that I mostly agree.

theamazinghoodie

No Longer a Noob
Jun 9, 2010
They change the very foundation of Zelda for the sake of being edgy.

The implications of what that beast implies is M Night at best.
...I really don't think that Ghirahim was an attempt to be "edgy." He's put in there as a contrast to Ganondorf; as a guy who tries to act cool, calm, and collected, but obviously has a very hard time doing so. Letting a player watch a villains' flaws in person is an excellent way of making him be memorable, and it's one of the few times that Skyward Sword chooses to "show" rather than "tell."

At least I assume that's what you're referring to here. What exactly did they do to change the "foundation of Zelda?"

Robots do not belong in a fantasy game
(I only mention this again because of how angry I was about it )
You must really have hated Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, then.

Robots make quite a bit of sense in Skyward Sword. Before the war that caused the goddess to create Skyloft, the civilizations below were likely quite technologically advanced. After the war, the species still on the Earth likely suffered major setbacks in terms of technology; setting the entire planet back a few thousand years in terms of innovation. It makes sense why there would be robots.

The game shamelessly handheld and the duuuude

Duuude, EVERY single time you pick up an item it has to pause and animation to show what you picked up. Wtf
I agree with you on both points here.

The game is broken and dated
Elaborate. How is it broken and how is it dated?

Falling off the hub world prompts an annoying return screen rather than a bird call?

They were separated by effing loading screens in an empty sky
I have much bigger problems with the actual sky itself than either of those issues...but to each his own.

For what it's worth, I would've simply made falling off (if you didn't call your bird and got all the way to the bottom of the cloud layer) be instant death. The game already has a couple of instant kill opportunities, one more that no one with any common sense would fall into couldn't hurt.

Girahim and Groose awful, forgettable and incredibly annoying characters.
They clearly can't be too forgettable, considering how much they're annoying you.

I've already stated why I like Ghirahim as a villain above, but I can also appreciate Groose to an extent. He's your typical "bully turns good" story; it's certainly nothing remarkable or unique in terms of character development, but the guy serves well as a comic relief in a game filled with mostly boring dialogue(e.g. any scene involving monologues from Fi or Zelda). He's certainly not bad by any means.

The bigger point here is that Ghirahim and Groose are annoying because they are meant to be annoying. The game gives them both limited roles so that their annoyingness never gets to the point of being too much (shame that they didn't do the same with Fi), but their personalities are written that way in order to make the player feel a certain way towards the character. An annoying character, if it's meant to be that way, isn't necessarily a bad character. Bad writing, perhaps, but I would contend that even that isn't the case here.

theamazinghoodie

No Longer a Noob
Jun 9, 2010
In Skyward Sword, even the temple of time seems to operate on coglike machinery insinuating that there is a technology there allowing for the time travel. Which, to me, is fucking stupid. It completely pulled me out of the element of the game.

The robots are dumb. They run on magic crystals (this is why you rarely see well done scifi/ fantasy crossovers. Because even the Force in Star Wars was dumb when they explained it in the prequels) I understand the story they provided allows for the robots, but my point was that the idea behind them in the first place was just dumb. Japan literally cannot the fuck help themselves from inserting robots into literally everything.
Temple of Time makes sense. Assuming it was built before the war mentioned in SS's pregame cutscene, then the technology behind that, the gates of time, and the moving rooms in Skyloft all make sense.

I suppose if anything mechanical at all annoys you, then there's very little to reason with here, but that seems insanely nitpicky to me.

Simple elements throughout the game that constantly ruin the experience. ie picking up the bugs, jewels, etc that freeze the game. That's nitpicky, but there was so many more instances of just little annoyances that stacked up to an unforgivable degree.
I've only played through the game 1 and 4/5th times, so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this, but I don't think I've had the game freeze. I agree with the annoyances behind the game feeling the need to stop itself and remind you what an Amber Relic is after you've collected thirty of them, but that seems more like Nintendo just being obsessed with hand-holding this time around as opposed to the game being either broken or dated.

And if you can't tell how the game is dated then you don't play enough games
First time in my life anyone's told me to play MORE video games.

I've grown up playing Zelda, and I have no problem with the formula staying pretty much the same, but just like the half assed Sky in SS full of nothing but rocks, that pretty much defined the rest of the game. It didn't have anything in it.
I never thought I'd live to play a Zelda game that had like.... zero secrets in it. Or zero secrets that legitimately made me feel "good" that I had discovered them. If I'm playing a game that feels like it has less substance to it than a game I played over 10 years ago... it's inexcusable and I honestly felt like Nintendo just wiped their dick in my face on this one. That's why I'm so bitter about it. The entire budget must have been spent on the 1:1 motion controls, and that is the only excuse that I will accept for such a travesty.
I agree here, though I think I'll find a different metaphor to express my disappointment. To be honest, I don't think it had anything to do with budget: I legitimately think the team developing SS, which GI reported consisted mostly of new developers who had grown up playing Zelda, didn't really have much of a clue what they were doing behind the scenes. They knew that they wanted Wii Motion Plus in there, and they wanted to make Zelda into a character of some sort, but beyond that, they really had no clue how to make the exploration of an open world feel rewarding and satisfying. Hopefully, this game will give them some experience for the next. The idea of a large sea/sky/whatever that you can sail/fly/move around on and find various islands n' such is an excellent gameplay idea, but Nintendo still has yet to come anywhere near to using it to its full potential.

Forgettable, because that's what I want to do, is forget them. The annoyances come from the bad writing, and the fact that (admittably, he's not much weirder than the Twin Witches from OoT, but he also wasn't intimidating or threatening as a villain at all) I don't want to battle someone who looks and acts like they'd be much more at home having a slap fight
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forgettable

Rest is fair enough-ish I guess. To me, he was silly, but the game made it clear early on that he was an actual threat as well, considering he had the power to hurl tornadoes into the sky and (at least at the beginning) over matched Link and likely could have killed him at the Sky Temple if he wanted. Someone who's borderline ridiculous but still poses a threat works well as a villain IMO, especially for a series that's had very little but stereotypical evil guys serving as its villains for the past 27 years.