kato198

No Longer a Noob
Dec 3, 2004
Sorry, this is a dumb thread. You're thinking of it the wrong way. GTA games are traditionally parodies/tributes to action movies already out. Any "GTA movie" would just be a run of the mill action movie. GTA is fun because of the open world aspects and the interactivity of it. A movie strips it's core entertainment aspects away.

And Nolan is a horrible director to get for it.
:^O That's funny. Now say something else so I can take you more seriously.

What? Nolan thrives with psychological thrillers (I don't tend to enjoy them, but they are his better films) straight up action films aren't his calling.

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010
Sorry, this is a dumb thread. You're thinking of it the wrong way. GTA games are traditionally parodies/tributes to action movies already out. Any "GTA movie" would just be a run of the mill action movie. GTA is fun because of the open world aspects and the interactivity of it. A movie strips it's core entertainment aspects away.

Dude what? Just because he doesnt agree, it doesnt mean he's wrong or that you should dismiss his reply. What he wrote is probably the smartest thing i've read on this thread. He gave excellent points on why a GTA movie would be [face_sick]

twillo1

Noob
Oct 27, 2011
I don't think Nolan could handle the humor/wackiness of the GTA series...even GTA IV had it.
Yes, but GTA IV is also more serious. I'd say it has a mix of serious and humor. Nolan still has some humor in his movies.

I just think Nolan would bring it into a completely different direction. I feel he'd make it dark, gritty, and not to mention recycle most of his actors/actresses. And yes Nolan has some humor, but not nearly enough for a GTA movie. Not to say it would be a comedy, but there's no denying that GTA games are full of cheesy humor.

That's not to say Nolan isn't good...he's great. I just feel like his success at Batman make most people feel like he can turn any franchise into gold. Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear movie boards are full of people suggesting him and it gets old.

Feb 26, 2006
I don't think Nolan could handle the humor/wackiness of the GTA series...even GTA IV had it.
Yes, but GTA IV is also more serious. I'd say it has a mix of serious and humor. Nolan still has some humor in his movies.

I just think Nolan would bring it into a completely different direction. I feel he'd make it dark, gritty, and not to mention recycle most of his actors/actresses. And yes Nolan has some humor, but not nearly enough for a GTA movie. Not to say it would be a comedy, but there's no denying that GTA games are full of cheesy humor.

That's not to say Nolan isn't good...he's great. I just feel like his success at Batman make most people feel like he can turn any franchise into gold. Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear movie boards are full of people suggesting him and it gets old.

And cheesy vaginas

rross46

Noob
Apr 3, 2009
Niko - Heath Ledger
Roman - John Candy
Brucie - Andy Whitfield
Packie - Patrick Swayze
Mallorie - Lisa Left Eye Lopez
Little Jacob - Bob Marley
Dwayne - Michael Clarke Duncan
Kate - Whitney Houston

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012

What? Nolan thrives with psychological thrillers (I don't tend to enjoy them, but they are his better films) straight up action films aren't his calling.
Nolan still blends action and exposition deftly. [face_tongue]

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012

Besides, the film may not be a straight up action film.

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012

Yeah, Nolan could sneak in some sweet bowling scenes in the GTA movie. Awesome.
Or give it *gasp* intellectual depth. I guess you would prefer bowling should it be made, however. I assume you like even more boring stuff than anything intellectual.

kato198

No Longer a Noob
Dec 3, 2004

Or give it *gasp* intellectual depth. I guess you would prefer bowling should it be made, however. I assume you like even more boring stuff than anything intellectual.

LOL.

1. GTA is not intellectual. At all. That is the same game that has someone walking around saying "cheesy vaginas." You think that's intellectual?
2. Chris Nolan is not known for his movies being intellectual at all. Maybe some douche can try to see something as intellectual in Inception or something but his movies are straight up thriller action movies that are not intellectual at all.

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010

WOW jeez dude. No need to attack me lol. Dont assume you know what i like please.

Reading it clearly, this sentence of yours is just hilarious: "I assume you like even more boring stuff than anything intellectual."

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010

LOL.

1. GTA is not intellectual. At all. That is the same game that has someone walking around saying "cheesy vaginas." You think that's intellectual?
2. Chris Nolan is not known for his movies being intellectual at all. Maybe some douche can try to see something as intellectual in Inception or something but his movies are straight up thriller action movies that are not intellectual at all.

While i see what you are saying, I'd have to disagree with your first point. GTA shows it's intelligence by using stupidness. EG: Richard Bastion on WKTT promotes a lot of ridiculously stupid sh**, that people actually believe in real life. There are much more examples that i cant be bothered mentioning, but GTA does show quite a lot of intelligence.

rross46

Noob
Apr 3, 2009
GTA's intelligence comes in its satire. GTA IV is one of the best satires on modern western culture we have. With each installment they get better and better at it, using extreme and outlandish examples to really hammer home the madness of the world we live in.

kato198

No Longer a Noob
Dec 3, 2004

LOL.

While i see what you are saying, I'd have to disagree with your first point. GTA shows it's intelligence by using stupidness. EG: Richard Bastion on WKTT promotes a lot of ridiculously stupid sh**, that people actually believe in real life. There are much more examples that i cant be bothered mentioning, but GTA does show quite a lot of intelligence.

Yes, it is very funny and makes a good point, but I wouldn't exactly categorize it as "intelligent" It's definitely witty and a great parody of American life, but it still uses very silly humor to make it's point, which again isn't very "intellectual." Intelligence and intelluctual are two different words and can't be interchanged.

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012

WOW jeez dude. No need to attack me lol. Dont assume you know what i like please.

Reading it clearly, this sentence of yours is just hilarious: "I assume you like even more boring stuff than anything intellectual."
Good hilarious or bad?

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010
LOL.

Yes, it is very funny and makes a good point, but I wouldn't exactly categorize it as "intelligent" It's definitely witty and a great parody of American life, but it still uses very silly humor to make it's point, which again isn't very "intellectual." Intelligence and intelluctual are two different words and can't be interchanged.

Ahh yes, my bad i see what you're saying, but whatever you call it, its more than just random sillyness. [face_peace]

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010

Good hilarious or bad?

LOL?

Read it slowly and find out genius. [face_tongue]

Oct 22, 2012
Actually they were going to make one,
2 different times but...

Given that Grand Theft Auto IV blew away the global retail sales record, a day doesn’t go by that I’m not asked about when it’s going to be made into a movie. Of course, that happens with every best-selling video game. But this isn’t a case of the project veering horribly off track like, say, Halo. Nah, this is something altogether different.

I’ve learned that Fox Atomic owns the rights to Grand Theft Auto. But to the movie title, not the game. It was, of course, Ron Howard who wrote and directed and starred in the little pic Grand Theft Auto back in 1977 for Roger Corman. So Fox optioned the rights for the Howard/Corman movie title a while back. A studio insider clarifies for me: “Yes, Fox owns the Corman movie. Yes, it has been one of 400 development projects for several years. But they are nowhere on the script. It has certainly not been a front-burner project.” Strangely, the success of the video game hasn’t put any new impetus on the studio to formulate a plan. And it doesn’t matter that a supposed legal settlement over the game/movie/title dictates that Rockstar can’t make a Grand Theft Auto movie or Corman/Howard/Fox a video game out of the title. C’mon, the movie can still shrewdly piggyback off the game’s global branding. Here’s my idea: Fox for old times sake should offer the project to Ron Howard since GTA jump-started his directorial career. Then let him incubate as a producer a new action franchise where The Fast And The Furious meets, say, NASCAR which is always looking for Hollywood tie-ins. And let’s just be thankful that Warner Bros doesn’t own the title or Alan Horn would insist the stunts be done in a Prius…

Ever since Vice City I have wanted a movie
I also think the movie would be better with the Vice City feel but...

Last edited:

jared1994

No Longer a Noob
Sep 3, 2010
2 different times but...

Given that Grand Theft Auto IV blew away the global retail sales record, a day doesn’t go by that I’m not asked about when it’s going to be made into a movie. Of course, that happens with every best-selling video game. But this isn’t a case of the project veering horribly off track like, say, Halo. Nah, this is something altogether different.

I’ve learned that Fox Atomic owns the rights to Grand Theft Auto. But to the movie title, not the game. It was, of course, Ron Howard who wrote and directed and starred in the little pic Grand Theft Auto back in 1977 for Roger Corman. So Fox optioned the rights for the Howard/Corman movie title a while back. A studio insider clarifies for me: “Yes, Fox owns the Corman movie. Yes, it has been one of 400 development projects for several years. But they are nowhere on the script. It has certainly not been a front-burner project.” Strangely, the success of the video game hasn’t put any new impetus on the studio to formulate a plan. And it doesn’t matter that a supposed legal settlement over the game/movie/title dictates that Rockstar can’t make a Grand Theft Auto movie or Corman/Howard/Fox a video game out of the title. C’mon, the movie can still shrewdly piggyback off the game’s global branding. Here’s my idea: Fox for old times sake should offer the project to Ron Howard since GTA jump-started his directorial career. Then let him incubate as a producer a new action franchise where The Fast And The Furious meets, say, NASCAR which is always looking for Hollywood tie-ins. And let’s just be thankful that Warner Bros doesn’t own the title or Alan Horn would insist the stunts be done in a Prius…

Scarface says hey

Oct 22, 2012
2 different times but...

Scarface says hey
Nice waste of a post dude...

SweetSmapDiCorn

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 20, 2006
I think you're all crazy! A GTA movie would never work and the Nolan's would definately be the wrong folks to make it.

SweetSmapDiCorn

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 20, 2006
I think you're all crazy! A GTA movie would never work and the Nolan's would definately be the wrong folks to make it.
You can't even see it the way I see it. If you saw it from my perspective, you'd understand. Or maybe not. Either way, you'd be mistaken.

a gta movie wouldn't work because much of the content found in the games are taken from already existing movies, TV shows and true events. GTA is kind of a satire of american culture. Most likely you've already seen a GTA movie from French connection, gone in 60 secs, Heat, Ronin... Hell even Shaft! :^O

And where would you start? What GTA would you try to cover? The GTA games are huge! Even if you removed all the side character mission in GTAIV and stuck with only the main storyline, you would still have a 5 hour movie! The only way a GTA movie would work, is if it was made as an HBO series or something... and it would have to stay true to the game and cover all aspects. Like using SanAndreas as a model and following it to a tee... or else it would just be like another action/heist, crime drama, thug-life flic-of-the-week POS that we Americans watch on basic cable everynight! [face_flag]

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012
You can't even see it the way I see it. If you saw it from my perspective, you'd understand. Or maybe not. Either way, you'd be mistaken.

a gta movie wouldn't work because much of the content found in the games are taken from already existing movies, TV shows and true events. GTA is kind of a satire of american culture. Most likely you've already seen a GTA movie from French connection, gone in 60 secs, Heat, Ronin... Hell even Shaft! :^O

And where would you start? What GTA would you try to cover? The GTA games are huge! Even if you removed all the side character mission in GTAIV and stuck with only the main storyline, you would still have a 5 hour movie! The only way a GTA movie would work, is if it was made as an HBO series or something... and it would have to stay true to the game and cover all aspects. Like using SanAndreas as a model and following it to a tee... or else it would just be like another action/heist, crime drama, thug-life flic-of-the-week POS that we Americans watch on basic cable everynight! [face_flag]
I'm aware the GTA games are chock full of content, but as I previously mentioned, Nolan could create a stand alone story like in The Dark Knight trilogy. A notable reference to the source material would be deftly placed here and there. I could see Nolan nailing appearances and what makes these characters tick while maybe even expanding upon them. I was thinking of GTA IV for adaptation. I just think Nolan, as talented as he is, could wrap his head around the material like he did for Batman. Chris definitely has the power and ability to succeed where others have not.

Last edited:

kill4money213

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 12, 2013
die Staaten
Lets just come to the conclusion that pretty much every video-game movie sucks donkey balls, and shouldn't be made to begin with. GTA's no exception.
It's called Wreck-It Ralph. Also, pessimism consumes you. How does it feel?
I'm just being a realist, you prick. If you actually read my comment, you can see that I said pretty much. I never even saw that movie, and thats only one out of the dozens. Naming one good videogame movie doesn't change the fact that most are shit. Also, can't call someone a pessimist just for them saying ONE thing negative about something. Stop being arrogant, just because you don't agree with others.

SargentSnowball68

No Longer a Noob
Jul 16, 2012
Lets just come to the conclusion that pretty much every video-game movie sucks donkey balls, and shouldn't be made to begin with. GTA's no exception.
I'm just being a realist, you prick. If you actually read my comment, you can see that I said pretty much. I never even saw that movie, and thats only one out of the dozens. Naming one good videogame movie doesn't change the fact that most are shit. Also, can't call someone a pessimist just for them saying ONE thing negative about something. Stop being arrogant, just because you don't agree with others.
Forgive me. This sounds like an excuse, but I was trying to prove a point. I personally see there being potential in a Grand Theft Auto movie if done properly. Doing it properly doesn't mean not doing it at all. If it's going to result in a POS, then fine, it's probably for the best there not be one. I know it seems like I keep kissing Nolan's asshole, but I just saw so much of GTA in The Dark Knight trilogy. I don't see how he could fuck it up. I don't see Nolan fucking up big time in general.

kill4money213

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 12, 2013
die Staaten
Forgive me. This sounds like an excuse, but I was trying to prove a point. I personally see there being potential in a Grand Theft Auto movie if done properly. Doing it properly doesn't mean not doing it at all. If it's going to result in a POS, then fine, it's probably for the best there not be one. I know it seems like I keep kissing Nolan's asshole, but I just saw so much of GTA in The Dark Knight trilogy. I don't see how he could fuck it up. I don't see Nolan fucking up big time in general.
Thats fine. The way it sounded mad it seem like it was in a snobby tone. I, personally, don't think it would be good, but thats my opinion.