sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I don't know too much about Sonny Gray, maybe that is the case. But there is mounting evidence pointing to Cashman himself being an incorrigible dick.

Which is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way of him doing his job.

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
And even if they are on a budget, I have no idea why they are so against playing Stanton in LF.

Stanton to LF sign a DH.
or
Stanton to LF, Andujar to DH, sign a 3B.

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
These are all fake issues

They need to spend the goddamn money. Period. Corbin/Harper/Machado should all have been Yankees next season. It’s inexcusable.

All three verifiably want(ed) to be here. Nothing stopping them except Hal’s cheap ass. Run that Voit/Bird platoon at first and overload the rest of the lineup. Corbin lets Montgomery come back slow and CC/Tanaka deal with their usual injury breaks. How is the elephant in the room being ignored?

Sevy
Tanaka
Corbin
Paxton
WHO CARES

Hicks - CF
Judge - RF
Harper - LF
Stanton - DH
Machado - SS
Sanchez - C
Andujar - 3B
Torres - 2B
VoiBird - 1B

Rotate off days when Didi is back

Not that fucking hard. This is the super team “they’ve been waiting to build.” Now they’ll spend 3/4 of Corbins money for some older and worse

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I mean you're not wrong. They could spend more than they are. Even if they don't spend 40% more than the #2 team anymore (which they STILL could do), they could still be near the top in payroll.

But they're not. So there are still discussions to be had with the moves they are making within the restrictions they have set on themselves.

The off-season isn't over yet and those players haven't been signed yet (outside of Corbin who I don't love, he has no track record really). But I will be surprised if they prove me wrong and come close to spending as much as the Red Sox.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
They're going to need to sign Machado and trade for a top starter at this point, which means gutting the farm completely but it feels necessary with Corbin off the market. This team isn't ready to compete as currently constructed, and that's not even taking the obvious health issues into account. Even if they all magically stayed healthy, this team isn't a contender on paper.

I still don't understand what led to them being cheaper than they were in the past. Is it really nothing more than Hal and Hank wanting to spend less or are there other reasons I'm not seeing?

Last edited:

Wojak

Noob
Dec 14, 2018
They're going to need to sign Machado and trade for a top starter at this point, which means gutting the farm completely but it feels necessary with Corbin off the market. This team isn't ready to compete as currently constructed, and that's not even taking the obvious health issues into account. Even if they all magically stayed healthy, this team isn't a contender on paper.

I still don't understand what led to them being cheaper than they were in the past. Is it really nothing more than Hal and Hank wanting to spend less or are there other reasons I'm not seeing?
Signing Machado would be dumb. They should spend all their money on starting pitching. BTW this is my first post on IGN.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
There aren't any interesting SPs to spend money on so I'm not sure who you're talking about.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Odds C.C. Gardner and one of the bullpen arms they are looking to sign make more than Harper next year?

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Odds C.C. Gardner and one of the bullpen arms they are looking to sign make more than Harper next year?
The baseline has been set at $28.5 MM with the Britton signing. I think Harper will get around $30 MM AAV, so it's going to be damn close.

Also - the more I look at the Britton contract, the less I like it. The primary reason is his velocity: even though he improved as the season wore on, his velocity continued to drop each month. He lost almost a full MPH from July through the playoffs, and he's a one-pitch guy. Maybe that's a product of him working a great deal more than he had over the last year ... but that's not a good sign.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I have no fucking clue what made the Yankees give out the most player-friendly contract to a reliever thus far, but here we are. This is the list as of now:
  • Zach Britton - 3-years, $39 MM
  • Jeurys Familia - 3-years, $30 MM
  • Kelvin Herrera - 2-years, $18 MM
  • Joe Kelly - 3-years, $25 MM
  • Andrew Miller - 2-years, $25 MM
  • David Robertson - 2-years, $23 MM
  • Joakim Soria - 2-years, $15 MM

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Yeah, its not that they are just being cheap, they are being stupid too. They overpaying marginal players. The kind of contracts you only give out if you don't care about money at all... or you are looking for excuses to be cheap.

Maybe there will be a heal turn and they really will be a fully functional death star but I don't think so.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Curry says they plan on using him all over the infield so that makes me at least somewhat optimistic that they're not completely out on Machado.

Who the fuck am I kidding they're not signing Machado

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Curry says they plan on using him all over the infield so that makes me at least somewhat optimistic that they're not completely out on Machado.

Who the fuck am I kidding they're not signing Machado
Even if, isn't Lowrie the better signing?

And from the rumors they are way below the Phillies and White Sox on their offer anyway.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Yeah Lowrie would've been much better. Got less money too which is just baffling.

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
What they *should* do is non-tender Didi and sign Harper and Machado now

TBH

2B LaMahieu
SS Torres
3B Andujar or Machado and trade Miggy for pitching

Harper gives them the left handed bat they need so desperately

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
LeMahieu is not good, and I completely hate this signing - especially considering it's $2 MM more AAV than Lowrie.

He's a .329/.386/.447 (96 wRC+) hitter at Coors, and a .267/.314/.367 hitter (84 wRC+) everywhere else. Put that together and you have a guy with a 90 wRC+, who has just one season (2016) where he posted a wRC+ that was better than league-average. His high-contact approach pays dividends at high altitude, but makes him an empty batting average guy elsewhere. And that assumes that he has that empty batting average - he hit around .220 on the road last year.

And, as to the utility player sentiment: he hasn't played a non-2B position since 2014. And, when he did, he played 40.1 combined innings between 1B, 3B, and SS. You have to go back to 2013 to find the last time he played over 100 innings at another position - and, even then, he played just 100.2 innings at third. This isn't a versatile player.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
.267/.314/.367 hitter (84 wRC+) everywhere else.
So he's Brett Gardner. I wonder which one will lead off?
No, and that's kind of sad - Gardner at least managed a .322 OBP last year. And he's still a good base-runner. LeMahieu's walk rate was four percentage points worse than Gardner's last year, and three points for their careers.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
.267/.314/.367 hitter (84 wRC+) everywhere else.
No, and that's kind of sad - Gardner at least managed a .322 OBP last year. And he's still a good base-runner. LeMahieu's walk rate was four percentage points worse than Gardner's last year, and three points for their careers.
Don't forget Gardner's monster 2nd half .209/.288/.316 that convinced Cashman to sign on one more year instead of pursuing any free agent OFers.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Honestly, Cashman has completely misread almost every market and embarrassed himself this off-season.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Don't forget Gardner's monster 2nd half .209/.288/.316 that convinced Cashman to sign on one more year instead of pursuing any free agent OFers.
I didn't want Gardner back, either. I think the fact that he could have a second-half that bad and still best LeMahieu's OBP is terrifing.
Honestly, Cashman has completely misread almost every market and embarrassed himself this off-season.
And it shows so freaking well with Lowrie (2-years, $20 MM) and Dozier (1-year, $9 MM) signing yesterday, only for Cashman to turn around and give LeMahieu more the very next day.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I think this might just be my favorite thing to come out this off-season:

The hate towards Sanchez is so out of control that people are blaming him for something that has literally almost nothing to do with him. Here's Sonny Gray's IP by catcher in 2018:

Austin Romine - 117.0
Gary Sanchez - 8.1
Kyle Higashioka - 5.0

Was he terrible throwing to Sanchez? Absolutely. But he also had a 4.54 ERA and 4.06 FIP throwing to Romine, which is also not good. The problem wasn't Sanchez: the problem was Yankee Stadium (and hitter's parks in general).

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Mo 100% made my eyes sweat a little...

And hell yes for Moose. Even if he wears that shitty pigeon hat. Certified True Yankee.
I cried my eyes out at his last game, and today's news made me tear up, too. Rivera will always be my favorite player.

And, yeah, Moose getting in is amazing, too. I'm very happy with the BBWAA's class as a whole.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I like the Hicks deal. Yeah 7 years is too long but I’d like this deal at $70/5 so two free years at the end of it makes me like it more.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Uhhh....
It's not just Harper or Machado, either. Consider (based on AAV - so impact on this year's payroll):

Happ - $17 MM
Britton - $13 MM
LeMahieu - $12 MM
Ottavino - $9 MM
Sabathia - $8 MM
Gardner - $7.5 MM

I discussed this with [URL='https://www.ign.com/boards/members/mrmvp91.2822616/']@MrMVP91[/URL] previously, but they could've had Corbin ($23.3 MM), Marwin Gonzalez ($10.5 MM), and Derek Dietrich ($2 MM) for what they spent on Happy, LeMahieu, and Gardner - and that'd undoubtedly have made them better than the are right now.

They spent their money very oddly this off-season, and you don't even need to factor in Machado or Harper to see that.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Yup.

Yeah, its not that they are just being cheap, they are being stupid too. They overpaying marginal players. The kind of contracts you only give out if you don't care about money at all... or you are looking for excuses to be cheap.

Maybe there will be a heal turn and they really will be a fully functional death star but I don't think so.

I just don't get what they are doing. They spent money and will be better but they seem to be completely focused payroll flexibility and only doing long deals at low AAV or overpaying for very short term deals.

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
Yup.

I just don't get what they are doing. They spent money and will be better but they seem to be completely focused payroll flexibility and only doing long deals at low AAV or overpaying for very short term deals.

Maybe they’re planning to sell

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
One of my biggest questions with the team right now is why they seemingly gave up on Stanton in left? I know he looked bad at times last year, but he was an above-average defender in right throughout his career. It feels highly unlikely that he'd be an asset in one corner and a liability in the other - especially when the other doesn't require a strong arm (which, regardless, he has).

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
One of my biggest questions with the team right now is why they seemingly gave up on Stanton in left? I know he looked bad at times last year, but he was an above-average defender in right throughout his career. It feels highly unlikely that he'd be an asset in one corner and a liability in the other - especially when the other doesn't require a strong arm (which, regardless, he has).
It's the reason Gardner made no sense. He's a 4th OFer on this team.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Digging deeper into the weird use of funds, the Yankees are spending about $67 MM on Happ, Britton, Ottavino, LeMahieu, Gardner, Sabathia, and Tulo this year. That could have covered:

Corbin, Harper, Adam Warren, Joakim Soria, Drew Pomeranz, Clay Buchholz, and Derek Dietrich.

That's a much bigger upgrade to the rotation, an elite slugger instead of a 4th OF, two solid relievers, two lottery tickets for the fifth spot, and a better hitter than LeMahieu that allows Torres to move back to his original position. You could swap out Pomeranz for Wade Miley, too. And then there are a ton of guys that signed minor league deals that could fill in gaps, like:

Matt Davidson
Granderson
Hechavarria
Jose Iglesias
Francisco Liriano
Bud Norris
Mark Reynolds
Ervin Santana
Yangervis Solarte

Edit: And Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez are unsigned. Who knows what they'll end up settling for?

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Digging deeper into the weird use of funds, the Yankees are spending about $67 MM on Happ, Britton, Ottavino, LeMahieu, Gardner, Sabathia, and Tulo this year. That could have covered:

Corbin, Harper, Adam Warren, Joakim Soria, Drew Pomeranz, Clay Buchholz, and Derek Dietrich.

That's a much bigger upgrade to the rotation, an elite slugger instead of a 4th OF, two solid relievers, two lottery tickets for the fifth spot, and a better hitter than LeMahieu that allows Torres to move back to his original position. You could swap out Pomeranz for Wade Miley, too. And then there are a ton of guys that signed minor league deals that could fill in gaps, like:

Matt Davidson
Granderson
Hechavarria
Jose Iglesias
Francisco Liriano
Bud Norris
Mark Reynolds
Ervin Santana
Yangervis Solarte

Edit: And Keuchel and Gio Gonzalez are unsigned. Who knows what they'll end up settling for?
Do you still have you blog? I want to pass that on but I want to give you credit.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Do you still have you blog? I want to pass that on but I want to give you credit.
I write for River Ave Blues, yes. I think I was writing for another site the last time it came up. I'll PM you my Twitter. I appreciate it.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Has Cashman turned into Joe Maddon? He doesn’t want to make the obvious moves to win, he wants to make moves that show how smart he is.