sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
3 weeks before he can swing again. So probably out until at least September. That's better than spring 2019 but with a wrist injury, who knows how good he will be until fully healed.

Ugh...

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I wonder if Jacoby Ellsbury can magically heal-up for three weeks...

The team's best option right now (based solely on the 40-man roster) is starting Stanton in right every day, and calling up Austin to share platoon duties with Neil Walker at DH. If Frazier is healthy sooner rather than later, I'd let him start somewhere every day instead.

Edit: for what it's worth, Austin has a .961 against LHP in his big-league career, and a .956 against them in Triple-A. It's all across small sample sizes, of course, but it seems reasonable to expect him to be a solid hitter against southpaws at this point.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2004
I'm getting nervous about this Chris Archer stuff, can anyone explain the appeal of him, especially if the Rays insist on Sheffield being included in any deal?

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Feels like Archer has been getting a bit unlucky with his results for like three seasons in a row now, as absurd as that sounds. His underlying numbers are mostly in line with when his results were really good. Feels a lot like the Gerrit Cole situation where the talent was clearly still there but a pitcher with elite stuff kept underperforming his underlying numbers after initially being a dominant ace.

I would be willing to pay for Archer just like I was willing to pay for Cole (with Frazier as the centerpiece being mentioned at the time). But I'm also fine if they go for Wheeler instead, he should be cheaper too.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Archer might be a victim of his team's strategies, for what it's worth. The Rays have become an 'anti-fastball' team over the last few years, and that's not for everyone. From 2013 through 2015 - Archer's best years - he was throwing just under 60% fastballs. Over the last three years, he's been throwing about 47% fastballs. And both his fastball and his slider have become less effective. Going back to his previous pitching mix could cure what ails him.

Would that happen with the Yankees, though? I'm not sure, given that they're an anti-fastball team, too ... and that may play a role in what "broke" Sonny Gray.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
I love how aggressively Cashman is going after IFAs while only trading away expandable assets. I just hope that Lynn is used solely as a long reliever in mop-up duty or as an emergency starter and nothing more. If that's how they'll use him, meaning he basically takes Warren's role, then I'm cool with this trade. I liked Warren but I'm more than comfortable moving him for IFA money as long as he's replaced with someone who is capable of doing his role, which Lynn should be able to.

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I love how aggressively Cashman is going after IFAs while only trading away expandable assets. I just hope that Lynn is used solely as a long reliever in mop-up duty or as an emergency starter and nothing more. If that's how they'll use him, meaning he basically takes Warren's role, then I'm cool with this trade. I liked Warren but I'm more than comfortable moving him for IFA money as long as he's replaced with someone who is capable of doing his role, which Lynn should be able to.
Lynn is also a guy that could improve with the Yankees anti-fastball approach. He throws his four-seamer 43% of the time, and batters are hitting .265 with a ridiculous .510 SLG against it. They're hitting .306 against his sinker, too.

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
It seems like Cashman is clearing space and dead roster weight/salary for another imminent move. A move that gives up too much in prospects that I probably won't like.

Hopefully he is just clearing it to get whatever he can for it... but until the deadline passes I'm going to be nervous.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
It seems like Cashman is clearing space and dead roster weight/salary for another imminent move. A move that gives up too much in prospects that I probably won't like.

Hopefully he is just clearing it to get whatever he can for it... but until the deadline passes I'm going to be nervous.
With the Twins eating about half of Lynn's salary, that trade and the Warren deal are basically cash neutral. I think the Yankees end up taking on less than $500,000 for luxury tax purposes. So there's no real cleared salary there - not sure if that helps your concern, though.

I was kind of expecting them to end up with someone who makes a lot of money, but not costly in terms of prospects. Someone like Andrew McCutchen. But they don't have the space, so that's probably a moot point.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
They are facing a sub-replacement level lineup and a sub-replacement level starting pitcher...

What is worse, letting up 7 or only scoring 1?

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
They are facing a sub-replacement level lineup and a sub-replacement level starting pitcher...

What is worse, letting up 7 or only scoring 1?
I can talk myself into Alex Cobb being a good pitcher having a down season, and feel a bit better about the 1; I cannot get past Renato "34 OPS+" Nunez and Trey "84 OPS+" Mancini being a combined 6-for-8 with 4 RBI, or the team's half-assed defensive effort.

Edit: also - the Yankees are now 12-10 against the three worst teams in the AL; the Red Sox are 21-4. That's a 7.5 game gap ... and the Yankees are 5.5 games back.

Last edited:

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
This team has embarrassed itself with defensive errors and questionable managerial decisions over these last two games.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Yeah but it's been a fun season to watch. The prospects have been great and there is a ton of talent here on pace to win 100. Then hopefully they get healthy and hot at the right time to make a run.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Yeah but it's been a fun season to watch. The prospects have been great and there is a ton of talent here on pace to win 100. Then hopefully they get healthy and hot at the right time to make a run.
I agree. The last two games have been very frustrating because of the silly mistakes but overall it's been such a fun season. It just sucks that the division will probably be out of reach unless something unexpected happens with the Red Sox and then a great season will come down to a 1-game playoff.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I agree. The last two games have been very frustrating because of the silly mistakes but overall it's been such a fun season. It just sucks that the division will probably be out of reach unless something unexpected happens with the Red Sox and then a great season will come down to a 1-game playoff.
The season has been an absolute blast. We've seen Severino, Judge, and Hicks prove that their breakout 2017 wasn't a fluke; we've watched two rookies rake from jump; we've seen Gregorius completely change his approach at the plate (and thrive); and so much more. This team is a hell of a lot of fun.

That being said, they've been a .500 team for a while now. They're 18-17 since peaking at 50-22, and the last two games have been dreadful. I'm not a doomsayer or anything, and I'm not writing off the season - but it's something that can't be overlooked. But we've also seen them bust out of slumps in a big way, so I'm surprisingly optimistic.

Edit: Following that, I think it's worth talking about how freaking good Hicks has been since the beginning of 2017. In 725 PA, he's hitting .260/.368/.484 (129 wRC+) with 33 HR, 18 SB, 14.3% walks, and just 19.3% strikeouts. There's nothing that screams outlier either, as his BABIP is only .282, and his 17.6% HR/FB isn't unsustainable. He doesn't chase balls out of the strikezone (21.4% swing rate vs. a league-average of 30.7%), and he doesn't whiff that often (9.8% v. a league-average of 10.6%). He's a complete player.

And, for what it's worth, he's currently 26th in the majors in fWAR.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2005
New York
As long as they're healthy enough and make the postseason I wouldn't be too worried. It sucks of course but they're also without their best player and they're without Sanchez to boot.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
It's freaking crazy how quickly this team's depth evaporated.

Heading into last year's trade deadline, they had Dustin Fowler, Jake Cave, Billy McKinney, Tyler Austin, Jacoby Ellsbury and Clint Frazier as guys that could handle a corner outfield position. The first four were traded, and the last two are currently on the disabled list. And now a team on-pace for 100ish wins is starting 33-year-old journeyman Shane Robinson or Neil Walker (who hasn't played the OF since he was in Triple-A in 2010) in right field. That's mind-boggling.

I'm not picking on Cashman for getting rid of any of those players, mind you. They had the 40-man roster crunch, made other moves, etc. - it happens. But it's crazy that they went from having too many outfielders between Triple-A and the majors to having Shane Robinson playing in meaningful games.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
So the Yankees had a great season that ended sooner than it felt like it should have. I don't want to lose sight of that. I also don't want to lose sight of the fact that the Red Sox are a really, really good team - and that it's really hard to win when your team struggles to hit, pitch, and field. And the Yankees had failures across the board.

All that being said ... I almost feel as though Boone has to go. At the very least, Cashman and Co. have to sit him down and make sure that he knows where and how he fucked up, and make sure that he knows how to avoid it happening again. He was outmatched big-time this series, and it was largely because he had no idea when to pull the trigger. Rewinding a bit:

On Monday, it was said over and over that Lynn was basically there as the handcuff to Severino. If Severino couldn't make it through five innings, Lynn would be the bridge to the better bullpen options. But Boone waited several batters too late to pull the plug on Severino ... and then he stuck to the 'Severino to Lynn' script despite the bases being loaded with no outs. There was no situational awareness there. And then, when he should have let Lynn wear it, he burnt out Green and Holder.

And then last night he once again waited too long to pull the starter; this time it was Sabathia, because he really wanted the left-on-left match-up against JBJ ... and it was a borderline disaster. And then, with a lineup loaded with righties, Boone went to Britton. The Vazquez homer was a cheap one, to be sure, and Britton was otherwise fine - but Britton should've been there to get JBJ out, and then go a batter at a time; not the default.

This, of course, ignores the fact that Andujar - arguably the team's best contact hitter - was on the bench with more than one RISP situation that could've benefited tremendously from a ball in play. And, yes, Andujar struggled in the first three games ... but he's one of the guys that got the Yankees there. And it's not like Gardner or Walker or Voit were killing it, either.

Sep 24, 2005
New York
Boone leaving Sabathia in was a travesty. For the second year in a row the manager lost the series simply by leaving him in too long when it was clear it was time to pull him. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
I'm not even mad really. Just disappointed.

Boone screwed up a bit, but it comes down to hitting. Lost two games by one run, with copious men on base. Game 2 and 3 are a wash. They could use another contact hitter obviously.

We knew the deal this year. They plotted a second semi-rebuild. Let's hope this puts a fire under their ass, being obviously outspent and out-depthed by the Red Sox of all teams.

Definitely back up the brinks truck for Corbin
This might get Harper here too

silver linings people

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
Yankees should absolutely, 100%, no doubt be going after Bryce Harper. How is this even a debate?

They have an open OF spot and need a lefty. He's 26 and a stud. Luxury tax is gone. Blank check him.

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Trade Aaron Hicks.
LF - Stanton
CF - Harper
RF - Judge

Edit:
Just thinking out loud a bit here…

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Trade Aaron Hicks.
LF - Stanton
CF - Harper
RF - Judge

Edit:
Just thinking out loud a bit here…
I was actually going to post something similar to this. My only real hesitation is that Harper isn't a good defender in center, and his injury history mostly stems from playing all-out in the field (and center is more stress and activity than either corner). I'd take the hit in defense, of course, given that there's a non-zero chance that the outfield would hit 130-plus home runs ... but it's a consideration.

But, yeah, I'd shop Hicks in the right move. He's a stud, but he's probably their most tradeable asset on the roster - and he's a free agent after 2019. Maybe he can be moved for a pitcher from a team like the Indians, who have a borderline excess of pitching, a closing window, and a need in center. Hicks (and maybe a middling prospect) for Clevinger? I'd do it.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
A few random thoughts:
  • Gardner re-signing all but guarantees that the Yankees are officially out on Harper. They have Gardner, Hicks, Judge, and Stanton who need playing time, Frazier (if healthy) in the wings, and Ellsbury's salary on the books.
  • Gardner shouldn't hit against LHP this year. Ever. He's hitting .233/.308/.315 (70 wRC+) against them since the beginning of 2016.
  • If the Yankees are trying to remain under the tax (which I suspect), they have about $42 MM to play with. Given that they need as many as three starting pitchers, it's tough to imagine them being in on Machado, either.
  • Cashman already said Gray's as good as gone, but they need to deal him for a player still on a minimum salary or a prospect. MLBTR projects a $9.1 MM salary, and dumping that would give them over $50 MM to play with, which looks a lot better.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
My problems are two fold.

1) Gardner isn't a starter. As a 4th OF, PR, defensive replacement it's a good move but manager Cashman is going to insert his favorite WAAAY too much.
2) The money. $9.5M for [1]... only if money is no object. It’s a clear overpay but something a team with financial riches can do. It shouldn’t be an issue even if Steins plan on staying NEAR the cap so they can go under every few years. Gardners 1 year deal shouldn’t prevent ANYTHING financially. It might not. But if we start hearing “2019 payroll is already at” then…

If they use him right, if he slots behind Frazier, if he is insurance, and they still spend, I’m fine with this.

But I doubt both those things.

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
The Indians are apparently listening for offers on all of their starting pitchers. Given their need in CF, that might be the place to shop Aaron Hicks. I'd love to grab Mike Clevinger, given his upside, strong 2017 and 2018, and five years of team control - but I wouldn't turn down Kluber or Carrasco, either.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
The Indians are apparently listening for offers on all of their starting pitchers. Given their need in CF, that might be the place to shop Aaron Hicks. I'd love to grab Mike Clevinger, given his upside, strong 2017 and 2018, and five years of team control - but I wouldn't turn down Kluber or Carrasco, either.
I they they want to shop veterans to restock the farm which means Clevinger is probably off limits and they'd want prospects back, not a CF 1 year away from free agency.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I they they want to shop veterans to restock the farm which means Clevinger is probably off limits and they'd want prospects back, not a CF 1 year away from free agency.
It would have to be more than Hicks, to be sure - but they're (allegedly) hoping to stay competitive this year, and are 'reloading' more than 'rebuilding.' An article on The Athletic said that they wanted big leaguers back in any deals they make (or at least prospects that are MLB-ready).

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
So the Yankees got James Paxton for Justus Sheffield, Erik Swanson, and Dom Thompson-Williams. And, while I do think that they paid something close to a premium, I'm very happy with the deal.

Paxton's injury history is lengthy, but he hasn't had any severe injuries to his elbow or shoulder. Moreover, while we can't discount an injury history, it's worth noting that his two worst injuries were completely flukish; they take a toll on the body, to be sure, but they're not necessarily predictors of future injuries. So what we have is a number two starter that may only give the team 165 to 170 IP ... and I'm fine with that.

Sheffield has a high ceiling, but he's not without his faults; his command is bad, he's had shoulder issues, and he's not built for a big-time workload. I'm not trying to rag on him - he's still a top-40 prospect in all of baseball - but he's not a stud. Swanson is MLB ready, and profiles as a 4/5 or reliever; he might've been able to help this year in either role, but I don't see him as much more than that. And Thompson-Williams is toolsy as hell, but far away.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I don’t dislike the trade in terms of what they are getting back given what they sent away. I just can’t help but wonder if a true 2/3 who will very likely give you 200 IP might be a better fit given what they have and that they already signed C.C. Another “hope for good luck” candidate on the wrong side of 30 to go along with C.C. and Tanaka. I mean how likely is it they get good luck with everyone?

How much more would it have cost for Kluber? But that may assume you are willing to spend money, which it looks like they aren't anymore.

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I don’t dislike the trade in terms of what they are getting back given what they sent away. I just can’t help but wonder if a true 2/3 who will very likely give you 200 IP might be a better fit given what they have and that they already signed C.C. Another “hope for good luck” candidate on the wrong side of 30 to go along with C.C. and Tanaka. I mean how likely is it they get good luck with everyone?

But that may assume you are willing to spend money, which it looks like they aren't anymore.
They're still linked to Corbin, for what it's worth - though, I don't know that he's a safe bet, either.

Beyond that, what would you have suggested within the realm of possibility? A bigger deal for Kluber and/or Carrasco? Because that's would I would've preferred, too. But, even then, you're talking about guys on the wrong side of 30.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000

But that may assume you are willing to spend money, which it looks like they aren't anymore.
They're still linked to Corbin, for what it's worth - though, I don't know that he's a safe bet, either.

Beyond that, what would you have suggested within the realm of possibility? A bigger deal for Kluber and/or Carrasco? Because that's would I would've preferred, too. But, even then, you're talking about guys on the wrong side of 30.
Yeah, I edited in Kluber while you were responding.

But yeah, he's over 30 but with a solid track record. I'm sure he will likely regress over the next few years but to me (especially with the option years) that's a safer bet even if it has less upside.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I guess I just really don't like the Gardner and C.C. signing, especially if they are going aren't gong to spend anymore.

Prove me wrong Hank and Hal.

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I guess I just really don't like the Gardner and C.C. signing, especially if they are going aren't gong to spend anymore.

Prove me wrong Hank and Hal.
I'm fine with Sabathia; I would've rather seen them wait to see what else was out there, but I think he's ultimately fine as the fifth starter.

The Gardner re-signing bothers me, though. It makes me wonder if they were just so freaking worried about the health of Stanton, Ellsbury, and Frazier that they couldn't wrap their heads around waiting out the market a bit. Or, alternatively, if it was something dumb like Hank and Hal wanting to be able to say "we can't sign Harper, we have a full outfield!"

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
What it does seem to indicate is that the Yankees have a lot of faith in German and Loaisiga.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
With Corbin off the market and given what the Yankees already have in-house, I think there are two ways that this off-season can go from here. If they're on a budget:
  • Bring back Happ;
  • Salary dump Gray;
  • Sign someone like Wilmer Flores or Derek Dietrich to play 2B
  • Sign some relievers
If they're not on a budget, they should try to work around something like this:
  • Sign Machado and stick him at SS until Didi's back (and have Andujar take reps at 1B);
  • Trade Hicks (and prospects) for a starter - Kluber or Carrasco, probably
  • Trade Gray for the best possible package
  • Sign a real DH, like Bour (or, if we're going full evil empire, sign Harper - but I don't see them signing both even if they end up spending above the tax)
  • Sign some relievers
I definitely prefer the latter, but I'd probably be okay with the former ... albeit with the understanding that they may've fucked over their biggest chance to open their current window even wider.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Isn't Sonny Gray one of the best starting pitchers left on the market? Why are we just okay saying "Oh well, we can't fix him" and "Sevy is tipping his pitches but we can't get him to stop."

One of the few unregulated places to spend money is the front office and coaching staff. The Yankees need to do better.

Last edited:

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Isn't Sonny Gray one of the best starting pitchers left on the market? Why are we just okay saying "Oh well, we can't fix him" and "Sevy is tipping his pitches but we can't get him to stop."

One of the few unregulated places to spend money is the front office and coaching staff. The Yankees need to do better.
I feel like Cashman publicly stating that Gray doesn't fit in New York did irreparable harm to that relationship; and the fact that he has now done it on multiple occasions tells me that there have to be multiple people within the organization that don't have faith in Gray. My hope is that Gray is an incorrigible dick behind the scenes, meaning that they have more reason than they're letting on for not thinking he's fixable. Otherwise, as you said, the combination of his struggles and Severino's second half face plant says a lot of bad things about multiple levels of the organization.