Anghellic11

Super Star
Jun 22, 2005
He's still terrible. Volume scorer that's it. Career year! All the way up to 54TS%.

His usage rate is a joke.

MVP_21Cubs

Star
Jul 23, 2004
He's still definitely not amazing but I have been happy with his play this year, relatively speaking. Slightly passing the ball more this year and has been really good attacking the basket, If he could up his 3 point shooting % a bit I'd be fine with him being a high volume #2 to KAT.

Jul 22, 2004
We’re all living in Wiggy’s world if he keeps this type of play.
Dude is athletic as fuck, and that production is electric for the normal NBA fan to see.

MVP_21Cubs

Star
Jul 23, 2004
I'm willing to eat crow on Wiggins if he does this for most of the season but 1 good month doesn't outweigh the like 5-6 years of meh he built up over the years.

Ryan Saunders impresses me more with the way he's got the Wolves playing.

I've been very pleased with Ryan's coaching. He's got them playing very well and I think both Ryan and Gersson Rosas deserve a lot of that credit. Rosas brought the new era of basketball mindset over from Houston and Saunders is implementing it well. I'm glad I don't have to watch the Wolves play like a team from 2005 anymore.

simms2bavaro

No Longer a Noob
Jan 3, 2006
Wolves must've sent Wiggs to Untapped Potential camp this offseason.

ATL needs to find out who flipped the switch and hire that person to do the same thing with Cam Reddish.

Jun 25, 2011
1. He’s still better than James Posey ever was
2. This was still an incredibly stupid argument to make two months into his rookie season regardless of how it turned out

RyanRogers013

I don't need therapy.. I'm just mentally ill
Jul 7, 2006
1. He’s still better than James Posey ever was
2. This was still an incredibly stupid argument to make two months into his rookie season regardless of how it turned out
Hard disagree. I would take Posey on any team in any situation. The only thing Wiggins is better at is getting shots up at an inefficient rate if thats considered a skill.

Lakerfan000102

Trill Modsby
★ MOD
Jul 18, 2009
03-04 Posey will probably be better than anything Wiggins can ever mustard up, which is a shame. Wiggins should’ve been DeFensive Derozan 😔

Jun 25, 2011
Hard disagree. I would take Posey on any team in any situation. The only thing Wiggins is better at is getting shots up at an inefficient rate if thats considered a skill.
I guess if you’re taking the “who would be the biggest net positive on a team” angle, but there’s no denying Wiggins is better at the game of basketball

It’s like asking who’s better between Russell Westbrook and like Jrue Holiday

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
I guess if you’re taking the “who would be the biggest net positive on a team” angle, but there’s no denying Wiggins is better at the game of basketball

It's like asking which is better, -1 or +1

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011

I've seen sentiment like this throughout the thread, and I don't really get it.

Garnett vs. Nowitzki used to be a popular argument on this board (and now I'm concerned that I'm reopening the floodgates). I don't recall too many folks saying that you can't compare them because they play two completely different styles. When folks were debating the Westbrook and Harden for MVP, their different styles didn't mean that we couldn't compare them - it was all about which manner of production you preferred.

I get that this is different because it's comparing a go-to guy to a role player; or, in the case of your example, the go-to guy against a second or third option. But I don't think that makes comparing the players any more or less difficult.

Westbrook and Holiday is an interesting comparison. Is Westbrook better? He's more athletic, to be sure. He's shown the ability to use more possessions and get more buckets and assists and boards. But Holiday's a better shooter. And he's a better defender. And he seems to be able to fit into most any role or system. Is that last part actually part of a player's skill? I'm not sure. It definitely matters, though.

Regarding Wiggins and Posey: Wiggins is a better athlete and he's better at getting buckets from a pure volume perspective. And he has gotten those buckets while being the focus of an opposing team's defense. That matters a hell of a lot. But I don't know if that makes him better at the game of basketball. Especially when Posey was a better shooter, rebounder, and defender.

I'm having acid flashbacks to the DeRozan vs. Redick thread now. What have I done...

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
The Wiggins vs Jabari debate would be really interesting to revisit now. Which one has sucked more
Keeping in mind that Wiggins has played almost twice as many minutes...

Traditional Stats
Wiggins - 19.7 pts, 4.4 reb, 2.3 ast, 44.1 FG%, 33.1 3P%, 73.2 FT%
Parker - 14.9 pts, 5.7 reb, 2.1 ast, 49.3 FG%, 32.4 3P%, 74.0 FT%

Advanced Stats
Wiggins - .477 eFG%, .521 TS%, 14.7 PER, .043 WS/48, -1.9 BPM
Parker - .522 eFG%, .552 TS%, 16.4 PER, .077 WS/48, -0.8 BPM

Both are pretty bad. Parker is less bad on a rate basis, but he's also been completely unable to stay on the court. I guess you could say that he's better for having the common decency to not suck the life out of his team as much.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Parker career 15 & 6 doesn't seem real lol
I had no idea what to expect when I pulled up his page. I'm not sure what surprised me more, though - his career averages, or the fact that he played 38 games and averaged 14 and 6 on a 57.1 TS% last year. I honestly forgot that he played last year, let alone that he played relatively well. I guess that's what happens when you split your partial season between Atlanta and Sacramento...

Jun 25, 2011
I legit thought “is Jabari still even in the league” when I googled his name

He’s spent the past few years becoming the definition of empty stats, it seems

Sep 2, 2013
Somewhere over the rainbow
Jabari better too. No pity consolation prize here. One can't call Jabari empty stats while promoting Wiggins.

Draft status/expectations and PPG let's people hang around forever ala Crawford and Melo despite doing nothing else. Only the b5105 would think Jrue is better than Westbrook. History will not be kind to yall.

RyanRogers013

I don't need therapy.. I'm just mentally ill
Jul 7, 2006
We're doing this again?
He's finding his role within a real organization. With Steph back to Steph and Dray facilitating most of the offense he's been really efficient when able to pick his spots. His isolation scoring is pretty elite and his on ball defense has been workmanlike. I ain't mad at him as of this moment and I've hated him for the majority of his Dubs tenure.

AirNik

Super Star
Dec 9, 2000
Your Dreams
He's finding his role within a real organization. With Steph back to Steph and Dray facilitating most of the offense he's been really efficient when able to pick his spots. His isolation scoring is pretty elite and his on ball defense has been workmanlike. I ain't mad at him as of this moment and I've hated him for the majority of his Dubs tenure.

Even now his advanced metrics are garbage.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
There are some definite improvements in Wiggins's game. Roughly 23% of his shots are long 2s, which is about 10 percentage points below his career norm (and it's about 2 percentage points lower than his time with the Warriors last year). He's also taking more 3s and hitting them at a higher percentage than ever before. And it's possible that there's some bad luck at play, given that he's shooting well below his career norms on corner 3s. And by NBA.com's tracking information, he's holding his defensive assignment to well below-average FG%'s at every level of the floor. Improved 3 point shooting and improved defense is a pretty big deal.

At the same time, his efficiency markers (eFG, TS%, etc) are still below league-average - albeit barely so, in the case of eFG. And despite his strong marks in opponent's FG%, DBPM and DRTG don't really like him. So there are still improvements to be made.

All that being said, in the context of a 16 game sample size, I'd hazard that this is all fairly positive.