M_Kat

No Longer a Noob
May 22, 2014
That La La Land ending fucked me upppp, and my girlfriend, who I quickly realized was crying in the theater next to me haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
i loved hacksaw ridge but i love all that ww2 stuff. i am actually watching band of brothers for the first time. absolutely incredible.

i do as well that's why i cared to see it. but this one, i don't know. the first half of the movie is so stupid cliche ww2 shit. how he meets "the girl" in the first 15 minutes, his shitty dad who dont want him to fight but comes to the rescue in the end lol tho hugo weaving was pretty good. then once the combat kicks in it's just gore taken to a comical level and a battle that is impossible to follow exactly what is even happening. the only really good part of the movie is the actual heroic moment where he saves all the wounded and hoists em down the ridge.

band of brothers is great though. the pacific is decent as well.

i read up on desmond doss after the movie. everything is mostly true and even a little less glorified because one of his arms was shattered by a sniper amidst his rescuing....but mel gibson omitted it bc he felt that it was too incredible to believe. ironic to say the least. also the survivors argue that he saved really around 100 men.

when he met his wife and his dad's help was less true but it helped to make a compelling movie was what they said. i guess you are both right, but it's still a great movie and story. that's how i feel at least.

Jun 21, 2005
Seeing bladerunner 2049 and the florida project. Just picked up a copy of call me by your name to read, can't wait to see the film.

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
IT was the best movie of the year. I've seen it three times. Still get scared. And yes, when I get scared I pee a little.

IT is one of my favorite books and the remake did not disappoint. I did like the mini series as well but this was definitely better. plus 80s > 50s imo.

currently watching the man in the high castle. what a show!

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
what's our boards opinions on blade runner?

i'm not sure how much longer itll be in theaters but im starting to get annoyed at not having seen it.

AvocadoGenesis

I'm a G...CB President
Dec 17, 2002
Blade Runner 2049 was good. It had the visual appeal of the original but it also wasn't a shitty movie, which I kinda think Blade Runner was.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
rly wanna see lady bird. on a non-movie note: anyone watch the good place? I just got caught up with it and it's very good!

M_Kat

No Longer a Noob
May 22, 2014
rly wanna see lady bird. on a non-movie note: anyone watch the good place? I just got caught up with it and it's very good!
Lady Bird fucked my brother and I up today when we saw it. Simply outstanding. It feels so fucking natural it's hard to explain. I think I'll be taking my mom to see it soon, as well as 3 billboards, which she really wants to see. Also need to see Coco and Call Me by Your Name, holy hell why did all these movies release at the same time?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M_Kat

No Longer a Noob
May 22, 2014
Also I couldve sworn I talked about A Ghost Story when it first came out, but I am still obsessed with that movie.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
think I'm gonna watch killing of a sacred deer tonight. ended up impulse buying it on iTunes based on how much I liked the lobster.

CarolAnnDuffy

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 5, 2009
Watched The Killing of a Sacred Deer last night; pretty harrowing. I didn't like the contrivance of having each line delivered deadpan for the first 1/3 of the film, but I gotta concede that it probably helped shore up the steely, eerie atmos that follows. I'm no cinephile, but this reminds me bigtime of Haneke's Cache: A demon/poltergeist fucking up lives and the film focusing only on precursors and fallout with no need to explain how any of this maleficience is actually happening. It's obviously a very surreal way to move a plot forward - boom, you just have to accept that this is happening now (like the characters have to deal it) - and gives the film a freedom to voodoo doll its characters and see how they respond. (Encountered a funny word the other day - Procrustean. Pretty much this attic murderer, Procrustes, went around shoving the dismembered body parts of his victims in to a small box. The writer I was reading used it to explain how lazy thinking / echo chambers encourage people to do something similar with views they disagree with - 'That's conservative rubbish' or 'This is more lefty bleeding heart shit' - allowing them to dismiss it without ever engaging with an opposing worldview. This is way off topic, but it feels like this is what Lanthimos does with his subjects. He squeezes them into these weirdo eldritch fucked up little boxes and watches them squirm.)

Also, watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri last week and can't rate it highly enough. High humour and very, very dark shit abut right up next to each other. There was one scene, that I won't go into, where my cinema's audience was entraced in empathy and then the next scene opens with one of the funniest lines of the year and your brain just does not know how to keep up, still reeling from the sledgehammer of sadness you're wanting to piss yourself laughing! I loved this film.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
I loved the last jedi and I think I like star wars now

I think it was honestly the best since ESB

It took some really healthy risks. Every Star Wars trope we've come to understand gets turned on its head. Like you've got Poe with his big heroic plan to take out the dreadnaught but just ends up getting a lot of people killed and they lose all their bombers and he gets reprimanded for it. Usually in star wars it wouldn't explore past him doing something heroic, and the losses would get brushed aside.
the whole movie was very grey like that. Everyone just failing all over the place. Finn and Rose's entire mission failed and got a lot of rebels killed. there's the sort of flipside where it seems like laura dern's character was bad news but she was actually the only one being level headed. etc

Also, despite trying hard to be different, that scene with yoda was the most quintessential star wars moment we've had in any of these new movies.

Nov 13, 2011
Black Panther was cool but it was racist with the token white character and shit.

Annhilation was fucking trippy.

Last edited:

tropicanapurepremium

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 3, 2009
I just watched.. Grand Illusion which was great, lots of quiet ironies and class relations, which always turns me on in film. It kind of reminded me of the WW1 Proust book. Also watched Zulawski's Cosmos which was a great adaptation of the Gombrowicz book. Makes sense that Zulawski's last movie would have been fellow Polish raver, both of some of their best work always flirting with madness. Although this film was quite sedate in comparison to his 70s and 80s stuff, lots of references to his own past films, kind of reflective, elegiac tone. What else. That new Ruben Ostlund movie The Square is great, 'realistic' take on contemporary art world and modern Western political/cultural situation.. lots of quiet ironies, loved it. Watched that Truffaut movie Day for Night because I played a music festival of the same name a couple years ago and had watched the Wes Anderson American Express ad homage to it recently, but in the end I thought it was great for itself. Relatable funny and sad take on making film. Felt like I understood Truffaut's recurrent use of Jean-Pierre Léaud better via them both acting opposite each other; they kind of look similar and have a similar dark, blank, intensity to their gaze. Medium volume ironies, loved it.
Have been watching a lot of movies recently, been in confined space for a couple months.. watched Howard Hawks' Scarface and Rio Bravo recently, both felt kind of like the respective origins of their manly genres, gangster and cowboy films.. felt like the fountain from which popular genre images drawn.
Watched all of Fassbinder's 8 Hours Don't Make A Day, which was great.. his Berlin Alexanderplatz is probably my favorite 'tv show' of all time so was excited to see this other 'family series' of his and wasn't disappointed. Felt very optimistic and maybe 'soft pitched' relative to the pessimism Fassbinder often draws from, to help its political message go over easier, I imagined, but still hit all the marks I always go back to Fassbinder for, and enjoyed the class relations as well, spiritualized class relations and labor. Anyone trying to do anything creative within capitalism can probably related to this show in some way.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
I finally watched it follows and thought it was cool and dug the score. I also watched justice league and thought it was basically as good as the most recent avengers movie.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
how does everyone feel about the mission impossible franchise? I watched 1-5 for the first time yesterday and I'm a fan. I'd go 5 > 4/1 > 3 > 2. I'm pumped to see the new one.

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
emanuelle beart in MI 1 is like one of the hottest girl ever in films, up there with cameron diaz in the mask and sue lyons in lolita. lol
we should start a discussion of most attractive woman in whatever one film.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
i think i saw one of the mission impossible movies when i was a lad. Not sure which one.

all i remember is him climbing up a cliff and then he gets a message in his glasses and then he has to throw them like a badass cause they have a self destruct sequence. idk how they fit a bomb in those glasses. idk if this scene as i described it even happened but that's what i remember.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
that's 2, that's probably the worst one but it's got some weird john woo stuff in there that makes it worth watching. they're honestly really fun and I strongly encourage you give em a shot!

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
ferguson has def aged a lot more gracefully than beart!

MI 2 reminds me of playing perfect dark and listening to the limp bizkit song "now i know why you wanna hate me, CAUSE HATE IS ALL THE WORLD HAS EVEN SEEN LATELY"

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
Michelle Pfeiffer in batman returns was super hot.

i saw the first mission impossible a long time ago. was good from what i remember. then i saw rogue nation a year or so ago, which was excellent. i really should watch the others.

i saw the meg 2 nights ago. was awesome. think sharknado with statham and a big budget.

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
dude i think any deep sea stuff will get me! i loved that sam jackson sharks movie, but seeing something like that in an imax seems like too much for me.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
MI fallout was great. I'm hesitant to call it my favorite in the series but it probably is.

rebecca ferguson is a legendary babe at this point. vanessa kirby is a base. henry cavill is a babe. TC looked kinda goofy but good lord how is he still alive with all those stunts!?!?!?! shout out 2 babes.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
anybody watch the Ballad of Buster Scruggs?

the Tom Waits one was my fav

GOODNIGHT MR POCKET

Last edited: