dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
still waiting for this dude to tell me how hot I am wtf y r u blueballing me like this? I ain't got no potato salad in my belly u tease.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
my therapist told me I should be more open to the idea of other ppl thinking I'm hot even if I don't think I'm hot so u know wut OKAY.

I just watched the new chapelle specials and thought they were p good but not, like, great. they flirted with great at times. idk. just good.

I saw ladybird and call me by your name today and loved the former and thought the latter was also just pretty good.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
i enjoyed both new chappelle specials

i laughed more at the equanimity but i appreciated his genuine stream of consciousness style in the bird revelation

TabathaFiat

horrible man
Dec 24, 2011
Ugh. Not that I particularly want to, but we have to talk about Facebook more.

Let's talk about Google for a second. I talk to a lot of people who find it creepy that when they search for something on Google they'll see ads related to that search on 3rd party websites. Or that there are ads at the top of their gmail account for products/services they've recently searched for. Here's the thing - Google works via an algorithm called MapReduce. They index the entire web, do some linear algebra eigenvector shit with your query as a cross product, clean the data, deliver the result. The more data/queries Google gets, the better the results. Meaning, if the service is free, and tons of people use it, Google gets even better. But the really important point I don't want to be lost is that GOOGLE. IS. FREE. Regardless of whether or not we take advantage of it, we all have access to all the world's information for free. That is a remarkable value. And so of course we pay for that with our privacy. It might sound insane, but to me, it's worth it.

As for Facebook, they're in a somewhat similar position. Facebook's value to its users is proportional to the number of people on Facebook. Meaning it's most useful if everyone is on it. So of course it's free; this is the best way to ensure the largest number of people possible are using it. There's a first mover advantage that we don't need to talk about, but I think the point is made. Now, regardless of Facebook being free, people are obviously getting some value from Facebook. The cost is the same as in the Google example, i.e., privacy. I think in the case of Facebook the value is far more dubious, but that's one man's opinion. If your point is that people are not thinking about the cost of forfeiting their privacy, fair enough. But if your point is that Facebook is aggressively stealing "freedom" from people in some way, I disagree. There is no free lunch. People sign up for Facebook, connect with people, and pay nothing. Of COURSE Facebook is trying to make money. So is every company on earth. It's important, however, to understand company's incentives. Facebook's incentive is to know as much about you as they possibly can. That is the best way to sell advertisements. If you think this is a raw deal, remember that it is opt in. But don't discount the real or perceived value Facebook delivers to its customers. If you want to talk more, I have a lot more to say, but this is already turning into an old man rant.
!!

cant believe something horrible ended up happening with the shitty unregulated company that sells everyones personal info to anyone that asks nicely for it. gee whiz!

as the only person in the world to ever be weary of social media, you all may refer to me as Prophet Lord from now on

Last edited:

tropicanapurepremium

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 3, 2009
I guess it's only right and natural that this board should have died along with indie rock itself? Maybe we're almost around the revival cycle at this point though

Last edited:

tropicanapurepremium

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 3, 2009
Was it someone on here that I saw open for Jandek in Austin in like 2008 or 9? or was that indietorrents? lol. gotta check that place out again too

Last edited:

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
indie rock is very much "reviving". truth is it never even died.

lots of really exciting newish artists out there

i think one thing is a lot of us just got old. not actually old, other than siq, but our lives got real and we just couldn't put forth the effort anymore.
Also i think many of us regulars grew apart in our music tastes. Indie Rock might still sound fresh to me but a lot of the users here don't seem to care anymore about it. no knock on them, y'all enjoy what you want to. But the fact remains we're not all listening to the same stuff or taking much recommendations from each other.

Example, Car Seat Headrest is a band that's got a lot of hype right now and has put out two stellar albums in a row, and a few of us have gotten into it. But you can feel a certain indifference from the rest. I could try my very best to sell it but if I'm falling on deaf ears then it's discouraging to try and talk about anything that isn't already popular. So that's why i stopped posting. I tried as long as i could.

and these boards might as well be hidden because we get no new traffic unless it's some asshole here to promote some shitty local band.

I don't know where on the internet to go for the best discussion on indie rock or music in general anymore. It's definitely not here. I love you all though.

Last edited:

tropicanapurepremium

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 3, 2009
Idk I am pretty sure a certain definition of 'indie rock', like Sufjan, Arcade Fire, Strokes, Interpol, Animal Collective era, ended pretty decisively around 2010 or 11. Around the time Beyonce started going to Grizzly Bear concerts and singing like Dirty Projectors, hand claps and 'Hey!'s started permeating mainstream radio, round time every teenager had a smart phone, and 'DIY release' started to mean something different in era of Soundcloud and Bandcamp, around time Grimes came out... lol. A few possible watershed factors. 'Indie rock' looks really different in an era of Youtube auto-play algorithms. To me, at least. I'm probably projecting a bit but it seems pretty undeniable that certain things have definitely changed. I think the underground noise scene kind of died around the same time, everyone got into techno or whatever, which probably feeds my perception of an era shift in indie rock, I think the scenes have a lot in common.

mikecrci

No Longer a Noob
Aug 4, 2017
DC area
Idk I am pretty sure a certain definition of 'indie rock', like Sufjan, Arcade Fire, Strokes, Interpol, Animal Collective era, ended pretty decisively around 2010 or 11. Around the time Beyonce started going to Grizzly Bear concerts and singing like Dirty Projectors, hand claps and 'Hey!'s started permeating mainstream radio, round time every teenager had a smart phone, and 'DIY release' started to mean something different in era of Soundcloud and Bandcamp, around time Grimes came out... lol. A few possible watershed factors. 'Indie rock' looks really different in an era of Youtube auto-play algorithms. To me, at least. I'm probably projecting a bit but it seems pretty undeniable that certain things have definitely changed. I think the underground noise scene kind of died around the same time, everyone got into techno or whatever, which probably feeds my perception of an era shift in indie rock, I think the scenes have a lot in common.

Beyonce at a Grizzly Bear concert? She has good taste.

mikecrci

No Longer a Noob
Aug 4, 2017
DC area

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
I wouldn't deny there was a shift around 2010/2011

but it's far from a death

Go look at rateyourmusic or pitchfork or any other such site's top rated albums for the last so many years. There's lots of indie still.

Plenty of people still care.

This board may not, that's okay.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
in other news. IGN is adding the boards back to their main site so maybe we could get new traffic

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
the only real "indie rock" release I enjoyed last year was perfume genius. I think the music just isn't there anymore, or I'm at a place where what's there doesn't do anything for me.

I certainly feel like music is way less exciting now than 10 years ago. but 32 is also a lot different than 22.

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
the age thing is hard for me to accept I guess. I think I enjoy more new video games now at age 32 than 22. I dunno guys. I dunno. I think if I outgrew indie rock I'd probably outgrow checking out new video games as well.

garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
It's definitely got more to do with your age I think.

I've long rejected the idea that artists like the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd were some kind of pinnacle in music instead just the luck of selling the most records and that generation of fans lording their music over younger generations. It's not that baby boomers are the only ones who did that. everyone did that and continues to do that. *my* day was special. The music is there and is always there. It's wholly self absorbed to say that it dies just in time for you to come of age and settle in your ways. When the relevant artists are younger than you are, there's probably less of a chance they have anything to say that you haven't already experienced in your longer life. The kids are coming up from behind.