woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Round Two

“It’s WSKE coming to you live from Ethan Woy Stadium on the campus of Everett High School for tonight’s ICC Championship Game between the eight-and-one Tyrone Golden Eagles and the nine-and-oh Everett Warriors! It’s been 19 years since the Warriors have won an Inter County Conference title, but tonight they have the opportunity to end that drought on their home field.”

“That they do, Matt. The Warriors won their only ICC crown in 2008 when the title was just given to the team with the best record in conference. Since the ICC moved to a championship game format in 2012, Everett has only appeared in two of the title games.”

“On the other hand Lance, Tyrone has won two ICC championships and made three more title games in seven years since coming over from the Mountain League. The Golden Eagles have been a dominant force all season with their late August one-point defeat against this Everett team being their only blemish.”

“It’s sure to be another barn-burner as we’re just moments away from the opening kickoff! Don’t go away, this is high school football on WSKE.”

“How many snow games did we have in our sophomore and junior years?”

Sean Joseph looked up from the bench to see Mike wiping a snowflake from his visor. “You’re just worried you won’t get your yardage.”

“Can you blame me?” the receiver smirked. “There’s four Pac-14 scouts in the house tonight.”

The quarterback chuckled as grabbed a hand-warmer from the trainer’s box. “Who said they were here for you?”

“Touchdown Golden Eagles. Justin Engel to Lenny Prince.”

Mike laughed and buckled up his chinstrap. “Whoever they’re here for, let’s give them a show. I bet their asses are freezing up there.”

“And here comes Sean Joseph Woy and the Warrior offense following Tyrone’s opening touchdown. I feel like we say this every week Matt, but is there anything we can’t say about this guy? The number three prospect in the land has had one of the best seasons in PIAA history with 3,775 yards of total offense, 29 passing touchdowns, and 17 rushing touchdowns. No one has been able to slow him down this season, but this might be the best opportunity to do so – just because of the snow covering the field below.”

“Green 18, green 18, hike!”

”…Woy avoids the rush and fires a rocket to Bryson Parham along the sidelines for a first down. Looks like the weather hasn’t slowed down the Everett signal-caller yet as he’s drove the Warriors into the red zone.”

“Look at that pocket presence! Kid somehow saw the rush coming from his blind side and stepped back in time.”

One of the four Pac-14 scouts couldn’t help but shake his head at the two astonished Colorado graduate assistants. “Ah, I remember my first time seeing Woy in person.”

“Bet this is the first time you scouted someone in this weather too,” one of the grad assistants fired back, chuckling at the shivering from his rival.

“Woy will be in the gun for second and 10 here, ball on the Tyrone 11. Clean snap as the blitz is coming. Woy quickly gets the ball out and hits Kennedy over the middle. Kennedy sidesteps a tackler and will walk into the end zone for a touchdown! Looks like round two will be another classic as Everett responds with a score of their own!”

That would be all the scoring for the first quarter as the conditions made it difficult for the offenses. Both units generated enough production to make another trip to paydirt in the second frame, setting the score at 14 all after one half of play.

“…and in local scores, Penn State holds a 24-20 lead over Michigan in the third quarter, Pitt trails Connecticut by the score of 17-14 at halftime, and Matt’s alma mater Temple will nab a rare win tonight over North Dakota State. 34 to 10 there in the City of Brotherly Love with three minutes left.”

“Do we have to pick on my Owls every broadcast? But since we’re on the discussion on our alma maters, how about yours announcing today that they plan on making the move up to Division II? Pretty incredible how they’ve moved through the ranks so quickly.”

“Allegany College was a community college when I was there 35 years ago. I still can’t believe they have an athletic program, let alone one that continues to climb the ladder.”

“Midway through the third quarter in the ICC Championship Game and it’s Tyrone 17, Everett 14. A little bit of a low scoring affair here from Ethan Woy Stadium, but the Warriors knocking on the door again.”

“14 points,” Sean Joseph muttered under his breath after he broke the huddle. “25 minutes into this game and we’ve only scored twice.”

The quarterback was frustrated with the lack of offensive output and refused to blame it on the conditions or Tyrone’s familiarity with the Warriors. He refused to believe that any team could hold him in check like this and knew that the Golden Eagle offense couldn’t be held down for much longer either.

“…Woy drops back and fires a bullet to his right – it’s caught! Kennedy snags it in front of Lawrence Hart and Everett takes its first lead of the night!”

Ethan gave his offense some encouragement as they jogged to the sidelines with a 21-17 lead. He stopped and pulled his son and Mike aside when they crossed his path, relaying his assumption about how this game was about to swing.

“Stay warm and loose, you two. Something tells me you’ll be right back out there in a minute.”

Roosevelt Crenshaw hated wearing long sleeves.

When a winter storm hit the area at the beginning of the month, Roosevelt ditched the extra layer at Mount Union while his teammates welcomed the protection from the cold. He felt the sleeves restricted his movement and didn’t allow him to use his extraordinary flexibility to the fullest.

But here he was donning them because the coaching staff told him to.

As he watched Sean Joseph Woy toss his second touchdown pass of the game, he remembered a time where his favorite player snagged nine passes and three touchdowns in the midst of a snowstorm. He, too, didn’t wear long sleeves very often, but he had to when the temperature dipped into the single digits.

Ethan Woy took over in 2022 against the Philadelphia Eagles. Roosevelt Crenshaw was about to do the same against Woy’s Warriors.

“After a slow first half for Roosevelt Crenshaw, he’s come back with three catches on this drive alone. Tyrone has moved the ball quickly down the field and sits on the Everett 12-yard-line with a chance to take the lead.”

“Engel drops back and just lofts it up into the end zone…and it’ll be a touchdown! Roosevelt Crenshaw didn’t give the Everett secondary a chance there, plucking it right out of the air to give the lead back to Tyrone!”

“He’s fucking ridiculous,” Sean Joseph said as he rifled off one last warm-up throw to Mike. “It’s like watching Stephen Williams at 16.”

The receiver gritted his teeth at the comparison to the Los Angeles Raiders wideout. “You don’t have to fawn over him, Sean J.”

“Am I not allowed to look at other receivers, dear?” the quarterback cracked, wrapping his arm around Mike before the receiver pushed him aside. “C’mon man, you know that I know you’re better than him. How about you prove it on this drive?”

Mike quietly nodded before jogging out to the huddle. He could accept being the second best player at Everett, but he couldn’t accept being the second best receiver on the field tonight.

“After a 33 yard kickoff return by Jerome Jones, the Warriors will start from their own 40-yard-line, trailing 24-21.”

“Seems like this game has become a battle between the two star receivers, Roosevelt Crenshaw of Tyrone and Mike Kennedy of Everett. Crenshaw carried the Golden Eagles down the field last drive, while Kennedy has five catches and two of the three Warrior touchdowns. There’s a reason why Kennedy is a consensus four-star prospect and Crenshaw is a top five recruit in the class of 2029. Both of these guys will be playing at BCS schools after graduation.”

“We’re definitely privileged to be able to watch them in their high school careers. Here we go, first and ten for the Warriors. Woy takes the snap and fires a quick screen to Kennedy. Kennedy makes the first man miss and has blockers out in front of him! The senior wideout sidesteps another tackler and will be off to the races! Touchdown Everett on Mike Kennedy’s third trip to paydirt tonight!”

“…Engel avoids the rush and fires a bullet over the middle…it’s juggled, but caught by Crenshaw for another Tyrone touchdown! The Golden Eagles end the quarter with Engel’s fourth touchdown toss of the game!”

After touchdowns on four consecutive drives, the defenses reappeared and shut down the explosive offensive units. With six minutes remaining, Everett regained possession at its 23-yard-line, still trailing 31-28.

“…Woy drops back and looks to his left. Kennedy is blanketed, but Woy escapes and runs out-of-bounds after a gain of four yards. It’ll be third and two from the Tyrone 19.”

“Quit fucking doubling me,” a frustrated Mike yelled on his way back to the huddle.

Sean Joseph shook his head at his friend’s bitching, but the rest of his receiving corps weren’t picking up the slack. He looked over to the sideline for the next play and relayed it to his teammates, hoping that Bryson, Jerome, or Thomas could get open.

“Red 15, red 15, set, hut, hike!”

The pocket collapsed quickly, but Sean Joseph had enough burst to get to the outside. Bryson called for the ball along the sideline and seemed to find enough space to make a catch, but the Tyrone defensive back broke up the pass at the last second.

“Woy’s pass intended for Bryson Parham is incomplete. Fourth down.”

Sean Joseph angrily unsnapped his chin strap and saw his dad in a debate with himself whether to send the field goal unit out there or not. After a few seconds deliberation, he raised two fists in the air; a signal that said to go for it, and then go into the hurry-up if they converted.

The quarterback quickly lined up his offense and again looked to the sidelines for the play call. Three fingers let Sean Joseph know that Ethan wanted a hand-off to John, as his dad trusted his offensive line to get the job done.

“Woy quick snaps it and turns to hand it off to Watson. There’s a Golden Eagle in the backfield, but Watson sidesteps him and will get just enough for the first down before being wrestled to the turf!”

“Don’t even need to say how big that first down was. I agree with Coach Woy’s call as well – it’s tough to trust a kicker in these conditions.”

“And now they’re in the hurry-up as Woy is back to the line already. Clean snap as he drops back…looks to his right and fires in that direction…it’s caught by Parham! Bryson Parham has another first down for the Warriors as they’re now down to the three-yard-line!”

John scored on the next play, giving Everett back the lead with three minutes left.

Sean Joseph watched as Tyrone responded with a three long passes to move the ball into the red zone. As the Golden Eagles called a timeout, he got up from one knee and started warming up, thinking that his heroics would be needed once again. However, he was in for a nice surprise when he heard the roar of the crowd signal that Tyrone turned it over.

“What a turn of events! Engel and Simon weren’t on the same page there, and the sophomore defensive end Lavelle Bowman pounced on the missed hand-off!”

“Tyrone still has two timeouts left, so look for them to sell out against the run in hopes of getting the ball back.”

“Get over here! Get over here!” Ethan yelled at his offense as he pulled out the marker from his clipboard.

Duane Felton was the first to speak up. “So what’s the plan, Coach? They’re going to stack the box and sell out on Sean Joseph and John.”

The head coach smirked. “Which is exactly why we’re going to throw the ball. Let’s end this now.”

“Everett will look to run some clock here as they line up in the I, two receivers to Woy’s left. Here’s the snap…”

Mike wrestled with Lawrence Hart’s bump and run coverage, but found enough room to begin his route. Bryson was a few yards to his left and stayed with him stride for stride, then planted his right foot and broke towards the sideline.

“…and they’re going to pass! Woy has some pressure coming from his right side, but he steps up to avoid it…”

Bryson carried over towards his left as Mike planted his left foot and spun towards the quarterback. Sean Joseph pump-faked to his left and lofted a pass as he got hit, hoping that this assumption was the correct one.

“…and he’ll go deep where he has Bryson Parham wide open down the sideline! Parham hauls it in and has no one in front of him! He’s to the 50, the 40, 30, the 20, 10…touchdown Everett! That might be the back-breaker folks! What a confident play call by Ethan Woy and an equally confident throw from his son!”

“Don’t forget to give Parham some credit there too, Matt. Not many high school receivers can run an out-and-up that efficiently.”

“Elliot Clark, Altoona Mirror. Ethan, it’s been 19 years since Everett has won an ICC championship in football. As we all know, you were a part of the last team that won an ICC title here. Which one of these is more satisfying?”

The exhausted head coach managed enough energy to crack a smile. “Definitely this one. We didn’t have a championship game in 2008, remember?”

The group of reporters chuckled before Ethan could continue his answer. “But seriously, I’d choose this one. This conference has gotten so much better since I played and this group of kids has been an absolute joy to coach. Tyrone’s a very talented and well-coached team, and coming out victorious against them twice this season should speak upon how difficult it is to do this.”

“Henry Jacobsen, Bedford Gazette. Ethan, after missing out on a first-round bye in last season’s District 5 playoffs, how nice will it be to have homefield advantage this time around?”

Ethan shrugged. “It’ll be nice to have the week off, but we’re going to run into a tough team regardless if we’re the one seed or the five seed. Windber ran through the West-PAC and Conemaugh Township has been a constant in the D5 playoffs for years now. And I haven’t even mentioned Northern Bedford or Hyndman yet. All of them could win District 5-AA, but admittedly it is an advantage to not have to travel for any games. We’ve put in the work for that opportunity and we’re thankful for that opportunity.”

“Any more questions for Coach Woy?”

The Everett head man was about to stand up and leave, but the ICC’s PR official pointed out someone in the back.

“Tim Moore, Bedford County Free Press. Ethan, would you say that the announcement of your NCAA sanctions actually helped you this week? Instead of worrying about coaching in college, you can block out those distractions and focus on the team you have.”

“Tonight is about the boys in that lockerroom and this in front of me,” Ethan snapped, wrapping his arm around the ICC Championship trophy. “It’s not about college or any of that stuff. It was never a distraction because I wasn’t thinking of it. I have the best damn job in the world coaching these boys.”

“So if you have the best job in the world, then why were you actively looking for a new one?”

Ethan didn’t give the reporter even a slight glance as he grabbed the trophy and shook the PR guy’s hand before walking back to the office. He knew that questions about the sanctions would only increase over the coming weeks, and that he’d have to eventually give some answers – whether they were true or not.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Almost as curious to find out where Crenshaw goes to school as I am about the titular character. Zero chance this is their last game against each other, obviously.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
warriorswaylogo_zps8a398da7.jpg

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON - WOY LEADS WARRIORS TO ICC TITLE

7f195c0f-b217-436d-b7ec-8a9e2ac41204_zps67a779ef.jpg
8ad598ea-087e-489a-bc37-d67c6093cfd9_zpsedb04f03.jpg

Left: Bruce Thomas and Grant Pryor argue after a play. / Right: Bryson Parham hauls in a touchdown catch.

[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] | 07 | 07 | 17 | 08 | 39
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 07 | 07 | 14 | 14 | 42

EVERETT -- 19 years. It had been 19 years since the Everett Warriors were crowned ICC Champions. Tyrone had won six in that timeframe; and they didn't become an ICC member until 2013.​
The two teams knew each other well. In just the second week of the season, the Warriors knocked off the Golden Eagles, 41-40, in a game that will go down as one of the greatest games in ICC history.​
A little snowfall couldn't slow down these high-powered offenses, as the teams combined for 81 points once again. And just like last meeting, Everett came up victorious, 42-39, winning their first ICC title since 2008.​
"This is just awesome," head coach Ethan Woy said. "Awesome for these kids, awesome for this town, and even awesome for me."​
When Woy played, there was no ICC Championship game. However, when it comes between him and his son, their senior year records are now the same going into the District 5 playoffs.​
"Just the first step," Woy said. "Glad to be able to mark this off the checklist. Next is D5, then finally State. I know this group has the talent, chemistry and work ethic to make their dreams a reality."​
Sean Joseph Woy only completed half of his passes, but threw for 317 yards and four touchdowns in the victory.​
"Tyrone had a great plan for me and really forced me into some mistakes," the younger Woy said. "I haven't had to make too many mid-game adjustments this year, but something needed to change in order for us to win."​
What he meant by that was to adjust his father's usual up-tempo, no-huddle attack. The quarterback has a lot of free reign to determine the tempo of the offense, but Tyrone was ready for the early attack. So instead of pushing the game's pace at its most opportune time, the two Woys decided to push it moreso during unconventional times.​
Second and 15 after a stuffed run? No-huddle. Incomplete pass on third and short? Hurry up back to the line to run a "quick hitter" to pick up the first down.​
"It worked," Golden Eagles head coach Mike Franco said. "Of all my years coaching, I've never seen a team push the tempo when it's usually isn't the best time to push it. Credit Everett for throwing us off - they deserve this win."​
The Engel/Crenshaw duo had another superb game, but it was not enough for Tyrone. Engel threw for five touchdowns, while three of Crenshaw's 12 catches were for scores.​
Everett will host the winner of Northern Bedford and Conemaugh Township in the District 5-AA semifinals, while Tyrone will face either Ligonier Valley, Penn Cambria or Bellwood-Antis in the District 6-AA semifinals.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Justin Engel 28 yard pass to Lenny Prince (Deonte Flynn kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 11 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (Robby O'Connor kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 2 yard pass to Roosevelt Crenshaw (Flynn kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 1 yard run (O'Connor kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Flynn 43 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 12 yard pass to Kennedy (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 12 yard pass to Crenshaw (Flynn kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 60 yard pass to Kennedy (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 4 yard pass to Crenshaw (Flynn kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson 3 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 87 yard pass to Bryson Parham (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 19 yard pass to Lucas Golden (Engel to Crenshaw)

PASSING
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Justin Engel, 24-35-333-5
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 14-28-317-4-2

RUSHING
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Shawn Simon, 20-69, Engel, 2-19, Geoffrey Babcock, 4-18, Albert Reddick, 3-13, Joseph McAfee, 1-2
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson, 12-101-1, Woy, 16-46-1, Geoffrey Paul, 3-14

RECEIVING
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Roosevelt Crenshaw, 12-151-3, Lenny Prince, 5-83-1, Lucas Golden, 3-46-1, Simon, 2-23, McAfee, 1-22, Reddick, 1-8
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Mike Kennedy, 6-155-3, Bryson Parham, 4-114-1, Thomas Jackson, 2-25, Rashaud Ernst, 1-16, Jerome Jones, 1-7

SACKS
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - None
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Lawrence Hart, Braylor Shuler
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None

Records: Everett (10-0), Tyrone (8-2)

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Table Talk

After a grueling 10-game season, the Everett football team warmly welcomed the bye week that they earned. They needed the time to heal bumps and bruises, concentrate on their studies, and stay out of the media limelight. Bye weeks were supposed to be stress-free.

No one told Sean Joseph that.

“Might answering this one for me?” the quarterback asked, holding the ringing phone in front of his best friend’s face.

Mike laughed and shook his head. “All you, bud. I’m not the one who still can’t pick a school.”

Sean Joseph sighed and pressed the phone to his ear, hoping the conversation with Coach Campbell would go by quickly. It wasn’t that he didn’t have interest in the Seminoles – he considered them one of his top four choices at this point – but that this was already the third call that he answered today. It was also 8:30 in the morning.

After Mike made his decision following the game Saturday, he was the lone senior on the team who hadn’t picked a college yet. It wasn’t necessarily a rush to see who committed first – besides, he had his teammates beat in that department anyways – but he didn’t want to drag things out for too long either.

The constant fawning and praise over his talents was certainly nice and all, but he preferred to get this process done and over with as soon as possible. It was too bad that he didn’t feel more strongly about one of his top four than the others, or that he hadn’t found a viable fifth school yet.

The phone call ended 15 minutes later, simultaneously as the school bell rang to signal the start of class. Sean Joseph had study hall to begin the day, so he wasn’t in a rush to reach his locker. However, he sped up his walk once he saw a welcoming sight standing by his familiar digits.

“Might want to get to class there, Mr. Joseph,” Christina teased, giving her boyfriend a kiss as he tossed his bag in the locker. “You look exhausted. No sleep last night?”

“Or this morning,” Sean Joseph answered with a yawn. “Phone calls all day yesterday and then three already before my first class.”

“Spending your time talking to all these other people – should I be jealous?”

The quarterback rolled his eyes at Christina’s comment. “Hmm, 50 to 70 year old men or my girlfriend? Tough decision there.”

Brown eyes imitated their blueish-green counterparts. “Very funny. And to think I was going to ask you to come over for dinner later this week.”

“You were?”

Christina smiled and nodded. “Mom suggested it last Thursday. I didn’t want to bring it up to you then because of the game, but I figured now would be a good time since you’re free this week.”

“I’d love to,” Sean Joseph said with a grin, happy that he had an escape from the recruitment process – even if it were only for a day.

“Are you sure you need to do this, Joe? I can talk to President Wheatley about giving you another raise.”

“I’m sure. Just wanted you to hear it from me first before someone in the media caught whiff of this.”

The man nodded defeatedly, extending his hand for a handshake. Joe Jenkins returned the graceful gesture and collected his belongings before walking out the door of the athletic offices.

Howard Clark sat back down in his seat, shocked by the sudden news that his football coach was retiring at the end of the season. Joe Jenkins was only 52 and still had eight to 10 years left in him, but he couldn’t argue with the head coach about leaving him in a bad spot – it was because of his direction that allowed the university to make a move that no one would have expected a decade ago.

He opened up a new webpage on his computer and started to aimlessly wander through various athletic websites. He had only conducted one major coaching search before, five years ago, when he had to find a new head man for men’s basketball after the old one didn’t bother renewing his contract. That hunt took a lot out of him, but he eventually found the right guy – evidenced by the three NCAA Tournament appearances since then.

With the upcoming move, he knew he couldn’t miss with this hire. He just hoped that this search was less stressful than the last one.

“What’s that I smell?” Sean Joseph asked as he entered the living room, catching an unfamiliar scent right away. The quarterback tossed his phone onto the couch and walked towards the kitchen, peeking his head around the corner to see his dad cooking.

“You sick or something? You never cook.”

“Am I not allowed to?” Ethan smirked as he looked through a cabinet.

“Is BreAnn coming by for dinner?”

The head coach shook his head. “Nope, just felt like cooking tonight. Is that okay?”

“Suits yourself,” Sean Joseph shrugged. “But I’ll have Best Way on speed dial.”

The quarterback chuckled as he walked back into the living room, plopping onto the couch to watch some TV. He noticed that he missed a call from a 480 area code, but decided to ignore it since he had already answered about 30 calls today.

About a half an hour later, Ethan called his boys into the dining room for dinner.

There was some small talk as the three dug into their halibut, mostly teasing Brandon and his crush of the week. This was a rarity nowadays for the Woys – usually BreAnn would cook for the boys when she was over, or they’d order something from delivery or takeout. Sit-down meals in the dining room were saved for the holidays, otherwise the room served as eye candy and nothing more.

After the youngest finished early and went back to his room, Ethan and Sean Joseph began discussing the latter’s recruitment process.

“So, a lot of calls today?” the head coach asked his quarterback in between bites.

Sean Joseph nodded. “Yup, the usual. Florida State and Syracuse were asking if I knew when I wanted to visit. Northwestern and UCLA said they’d be at the game next week. Same old, same old.”

“Any lead on a fifth school?”

The quarterback sighed and shook his head. “Delaware and RMU have constantly been in my ear but I’m not going to a non-BCS school, while A&M expects me to sit behind Steve Palmer for the next year or two.”

“Nothing from Tennessee?”

Sean Joseph shrugged as he took a sip of water. “They’ve been pretty quiet since the firing. Richard has called me a few times, but nothing more. You’d think they’d have someone ready to hire by now.”

Ethan cleared his throat. “There’s something I need to tell you about that.”

“You know who they’re hiring!?” the quarterback blurted, eyes lighting up.

“Sort of,” his father said as he put down his fork. “I didn’t want to talk about this earlier because I didn’t know how you’d react.”

“React about what?”

“They were going to hire me.”

Sean Joseph sat there in silence for a few seconds before muttering just one word. “Were?”

“Before the show-cause,” Ethan answered. “They contacted me before Ray was even fired.”

The quarterback again took some time to ponder his thoughts, not sure what to think of all of this. On one hand, he was happy for his father to get a major job offer so quickly, because he knew he had put in the work and the effort to line himself up for that kind of opportunity. However, it also seemed to continue with the narrative that had followed him throughout his career – that he couldn’t escape his dad’s shadow, no matter how hard he tried.

Before he could respond, the head coach spoke back up.

“They wanted me because of you, Sean Joseph.”

More silence from Sean Joseph’s end forced the elder to continue speaking. “You think my resume right now would be impressive enough for a head coaching job at a BCS school? The only reason they were willing to hire me was because they thought that highly of you as a prospect.”

“That’s kind of hard to believe when I still get the comparisons to you,” Sean Joseph finally answered, still unsure of things.

Ethan sighed. “I get it, son. I may never have to live through it, but I understand what you go through. It’s gotta be hard having that follow you around, and I know it would have been even worse if Tennessee brought us both in.”

The quarterback looked to speak again, but his teacher cut him off. “You know what? Fuck those people. Listen to me say this as a talent evaluator and not as your father – you are the most talented player I have ever seen, and it would be a crime to compare you to someone else. These coaches that are clamoring for your commitment, they see the same thing. They couldn’t give a shit if your last name was Woy or if it were Smith – your talent is what they’re interested in, not the background behind it.”

After a few more seconds of silence, Sean Joseph finally managed a smile. “Thanks Dad, I needed to hear that.”

Ethan stood up from the table and patted his son on the shoulder. “Anytime. And if you want to keep Tennessee in your top five, I understand. I won’t push you away from them because of my mistakes.”

The quarterback got up and gave his coach a big hug. “Screw them. If they don’t want to hire the best coach on the market, then they’re obviously not the place for me. I’ll find a fifth school soon enough.”

The two chuckled as they sat their dishes in the sink, the youngest making the short walk back to the living room. Ethan deeply sighed as he began cleaning his cooking utensils, relieved that their conversation went smoothly, but also dejected knowing that he only had a few games left of coaching his son.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
>"ctrl+f joe jenkins"

Nothing. Darn.

Liked the line from SJ about UT not hiring going after the best coach that they could -- it's a mature decision.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm pretty pleased as to how that update turned out. Was flip-flopping for a while on how I wanted SJW to react.

Any guess on who the fifth school will be?

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
The next update has sat in Word halfway done for months now... I haven't had any time to finish it with how busy this semester has been.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
SJW goes to Arizona State, plays at both QB/WR as a freshman, wins the Heisman as a sophomore and senior, loses national title as a junior and wins it as a senior, marries Christina after going back to Haley briefly, gets drafted by the Steelers and struggles there, gets traded to the Titans where he finishes his career.

E takes the HC job at North Dakota State (one of the few FCS schools I moved up) after losing in the state semifinals, is limited to 15 scholarships per year for four years with a bowl ban, miraculously leads NDSU to Mountain West title in fourth year, moves to RMU in the Big Ten and loses the national title in his fifth year there, and leaves the sport completely before becoming the AD back home at Allegany.

Brandon moves with pops to North Dakota, plays baseball and football in high school and then goes to RMU with him, chooses professional baseball career after leading team to College World Series.

Came across these files over the weekend, figured I'd let what the plans were five years later. *shrugs*