woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
The Motion

After dropping off Christina following their date, Sean Joseph dialed an 865 number and let the recipient know his own news. The man that answered understood, but promised that they'd be in touch again.

The quarterback turned off the radio and drove in silence on the way back home. He refused to believe this day was coming, but if it weren't for his bias, then he should have expected it. There was no way someone could hold onto their job for that long with such poor performance, even if it meant losing one of the biggest parts of their future because of it.

Sean Joseph remembered the time he first met Coach Ray. He was immediately impressed by the man's confidence, and the fact that he drove all the way up to Everett just to personally invite him to his summer camp was telling. He was the first one to truly show that he wanted him for him, and not for his last name.
"You wanted to see me, Coach?"

"Sean Joseph! Yes, come right in and take a seat."

The young quarterback took a seat near Coach Ray's desk, wondering why exactly he was here. "So how am I doing out there?"

"How are you doing!?" the coach let out a hearty laugh. "You tell me, son. How are things going?"

"Well I feel like I'm throwing the ball well, and the group of receivers are the most talented I've ever played with, and..."

"That's all fine and dandy, but I want to know how you've been," Coach Ray said, interrupting him. "How's living back here in Tennessee? How's the recruitment coming along? Have you met a summer fling down here?"

Sean Joseph could feel his jaw slowly dropping, but he picked it back up before answering. "Oh, it's nice to be back in the state; you know it's been a while. The recruitment's been kind of hectic...Syracuse and Miami have been contacting me the most, but I'm nowhere close to a decision."

"And..."

"And what?"

The coach chuckled and shook his head. "You didn't answer the last part of the question, Sean Joseph."

"Oh," the quarterback said, slightly embarrassed from being caught. "No sir, no fling out here. I have a girlfriend back at home."

"Cheerleader?"

Sean Joseph was confused as of why Coach Ray was digging more into his personal life, but he nodded to answer the question.

"How long have you two been together?"

Now the quarterback had to laugh. "Coach, do you have a daughter that you want to set me up with? Seems awfully like it with these questions."

"Nope, no kids. Not yet, at least. So what have you been doing during your time here away from the field?"

There was no way Sean Joseph was going to tell Coach Ray about the constant partying with Mike and his fall enrollee Seth. "Just watching film, mainly. Only trying to get better."

Again the Tennessee head man laughed. "Bullshit! I might not have kids, but I know what you kids do when you're given an ounce of freedom. Have you gotten good turnouts for parties?"

The quarterback stared at Coach Ray in disbelief. "Coach, what's this about?"

Sean Joseph's tone wasn't one that was anger or irritation, but rather of interest. He assumed this was some sort of recruiting pitch from the coach; however, this was nowhere near the same as all the other pitches he had heard.

Coach Ray sighed. "Listen Sean Joseph, I didn't need you to come in here so I could critique you on your playing performance this week. I just want to get to know the young man I'll have starting for me in 2028."

The quarterback's ears perked up after the starting guarantee. That was something he hadn't heard yet.

"This week has already shown me you're the best high school quarterback I've ever scouted, and have the potential to be the one of the best the game has ever seen. There's no use talking about your skills on the field. I want to see what you are outside of it."

Sean Joseph was amazed by the praise he was receiving. Ray could see that after a week of camp drills?

"Being the quarterback at Tennessee - hell, any SEC school - is a gift and a curse. The media can eat you alive if you can't handle them - look at Johnny Manziel. But there's also guys like Marvin Vetters and Aaron James who turned that exposure into something worthwhile. The extra stuff like girlfriends and parties, that shit doesn't bother me. As long as you conduct yourself the right way on and off-the-field, then there's no doubt that you'll bring this program back to greatness and serve as an excellent ambassador for the University of Tennessee."

Once the coach was done speaking, the quarterback only had one thing to say.

"You didn't mention my father once, Coach."

Coach Ray smiled. "There was no point to bring him up. You know that your father and I are good friends, but you're going to be much bigger than he is."
Of course, with him out of the fold in Tennessee, it was almost a given he wouldn't recommit there. Would Sean Joseph consider following Ray if he picked up a job at another school? It was hard to say. The only head coaching jobs he would most likely receive would be from the lower-tier of FBS, and the quarterback wasn't going to go to a school that didn't have an automatic berth into the BCS bowls. Maybe when he was a regular prospect in his early days, but not as the number one signal-caller in the nation.

Sean Joseph finally arrived at home soon after and was greeted by his father on the phone. Ethan had the Hyndman tape up on the big screen and a notepad full of scribbled thoughts on the coffee table. He saw his son walk through the door and quickly hung up the phone, scrambling to get back to his work.

"Who was that?" the quarterback asked out of curiosity.

"Someone with Tennessee," Ethan answered. "They wanted to know your status after the news. Did you talk to them?"

Sean Joseph nodded. "Guess I should have saw it coming."

"Don't worry about it. These things happen to a lot of recruits. You know that Nick and I are friends, and you knew that I didn't care too much for committing to UT because of just him."

"It wasn't only because of Coach," the quarterback muttered.

Ethan held his hand up to stop his son. "Tennessee's a fine school and you should still consider them. Your connection with the coach should be big in the decision making process, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be the only thing. Who knows? Maybe you'll connect with another one of these coaches once they start visiting again. You didn't give many of them any time to know you after your initial commitment."

Sean Joseph sighed, knowing that his next coming weeks would be filled with random visits from coaches all across the country. It would be nice to get to know these guys and figure out where he'd fit in with their program, but at the same point he wanted to have his commitment sealed away from the get-go so it wouldn't distract him on his pursuit for a state title.

"Can you stick around for a sec?" Ethan asked his son as he turned to walk upstairs. "Wanted to talk to you about something."

The quarterback sat down, but immediately stood back up when his phone started to vibrate. He checked to screen to see a 614 number calling him, and saw his father usher him away; knowing this wouldn't be the best time to talk to him. Sean Joseph sighed once again, knowing these phone calls would become a common theme, and answered as he walked up to his room.

"Tough break dude," John said in between bites of his cheeseburger. "I don't even want to joke about it now because it actually happened."

Sean Joseph shook off his tailback. "It's cool. It sucks because you guys know how much I wanted to play for the guy, but maybe that wasn't the right situation for me anyways. I'm not sure if I could even single-handily turn around a team that's been getting dropped like that."

"But I can," Mike chuckled, drawing rolling eyes from his friends.

"You and Seth could have been the best receiving duo in the SEC," the quarterback said, feeling bad for his friend from Davidson Academy who would be going through a coaching change. "But then again, you have no one to throw you the ball."

"I'll make any quarterback I play with better," the receiver huffed, taking a drink from his soda.

"So do you have any favorite now?" Bryson asked.

"I haven't really thought about it," the quarterback shrugged. "Ohio State was the first to call me, but I can't see myself playing there anyways."

"Well you had some contact with other schools prior to committing, right?"

"Oh yeah, definitely. There were a few I really liked too. But again, I just thought I was going to Tennessee and that was that. It's going to be weird going through this process for a second time."

A familiar sound rang through the five's ears, as Sean Joseph's phone started to ring.

"Five bucks on Miami," Thomas said, nudging Bryson.

"I want on in this! Give me Colorado," Mike butted in before his fellow receiver could answer.

"Florida State."

"I'll take Pitt then."

The four looked at John like he was crazy. "Pitt!?"

Sean Joseph rolled his eyes at the four and answered the call. "Hello? Coach Campbell? Yeah, I have time to talk. You're on campus!? Yeah, I'll be there in ten minutes."

Bryson smirked and held his hand out. "Pleasure doing business with you guys."

"It's nice to see you, Coach Campbell. Surprised that you would come out to PA in the middle of the season, though."

"Please Sean Joseph, we're hosting Kentucky this week!" the Florida State head coach chuckled. "I can make time for our number one target."

George Campbell took over as the Seminoles head coach about eight years ago after some brief struggles in the SEC. Now he has Florida State as the perennial power that they used to be under Bobby Bowden, with this year's group sitting pretty as the third ranked team in the BCS.

"Glad to hear that," Sean Joseph smiled as he shook the man's hand. "So I'm guessing you want to tell me a little about your program and where I fit into it?"

Coach Campbell nodded. "The program speaks for itself, Sean Joseph. We've been a BCS team the past three seasons and have a great shot at a national championship berth this year. Florida State was the best program in college football way before you were born, and we'll be right back at that point after a title."

The quarterback nodded, briefly remembering how great the Seminole program was in the 90s through some research.

"You'll definitely have a shot at the starting job as soon as you step on campus. Perry Tyree graduates in the spring and should be taken in the first three rounds of the draft. We brought in a four-star kid named Andrew Gutierrez out of our own backyard last year, but from what I've seen out of you, you shouldn't have any problem taking it from him."

"...so basically you're saying I'm still your top choice?"

The man on the other line sighed. "Do I have to repeat myself, Ethan? Of course you are."

Ethan smirked, realizing that he was this close towards landing his first college job. "Just wanted to hear it again, Matt."

"I have to ask though...have you heard yet from the NCAA?"

That raised the hair on the back of the coach's neck. After flying out to Indianapolis to state his case to the NCAA committee, he hadn't heard one peep from them. He wanted things to be solved as soon as possible, because the longer they waited, the more he felt like he wasn't going to get off easy.

"Not yet, but like I've been telling you, I'm sure it's not going to be anything."

"Good," Matthew huffed. "How's your son doing?"

"He's a little bummed after the news obviously, but he told me that he hasn't ruled you out. That's a good sign."

"Excellent," the athletic director said, hearing that his plan could still come to fruition. "Say, I know you're in season right now, but do you think you could make a trip down here sometime soon? All expenses paid by the school, of course."

Ethan took a minute to think about it before answering. He definitely wanted to go back down to Tennessee and see where his future enlie, but at the same time, he had a obligation to focus on his team's goals. He was little upset that the news of him wanting a college job leaked earlier this season, but he wanted to keep his negotiations with Tennessee under wraps. Hell, he hadn't even told Sean Joseph about this yet.

"Matt, I'd love to, but do you think we can hold off on that until after the season? I got something special going on here and don't want to take away from it."

"Understood, Ethan. I'll be back in touch soon."

The coach hung up the phone and leaned back in his chair. Between everything from the Hall of Fame induction to his son's commitment and decommitment, it had already been one busy season - and he was sure that it was only going to get more hectic in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Making Their Pitch

"Sean Joseph Woy, please report to the office!"

"You're averaging a trip down there per class," Mike chuckled at his friend after hearing the ever-familiar message over the intercom. "Daddy's not going to like all the detention slips you've been getting."

Sean Joseph shook his head at the receiver's teasing and excused himself from the classroom. Like Mike said, this had been a common theme over the last two days, with Coach Campbell's visit starting it off. He also met with Delaware and Maryland yesterday, and had been pulled out of class today to talk to coaches from Penn State, Robert Morris, Nebraska, Auburn, and California.

"Coach Marrone, it's nice to see you!"

After all the meetings with coaches he barely knew, Coach Marrone was a much-needed friendly face. Sean Joseph chuckled to himself when he saw the man wearing his 2013 and 2018 national championship rings; if there was any recruit in the nation most familiar with Marrone's accomplishments, it would be him.

"It's been a while, Sean Joseph. I see the season's going well."

"It's going well and it's going by fast too. Senior Night this Friday."

Marrone smirked. "From what I've been hearing, there's no way that will be your last home game."

"So how's your class coming along?" Sean Joseph asked. Again, because of his familiarity with the Syracuse coach, he felt more comfortable having a casual conversation with the man.

"You don't check the sites?" Marrone asked, in which he received a shake of the head as an answer. "And I thought I was getting behind with technology!"

"Sorry Coach, I've been more focused on the team here."

"No need to apologize," the coach insisted. "It's good to see your priorities are in order. Couldn't say the same about your father sometimes."

Marrone was also the one coach who mentioned Ethan more than Sean Joseph would have liked. The reasoning was obvious, but that didn't mean it couldn't bother the quarterback every now and then.

"I did see you're heavily recruiting Ricky though," Sean Joseph mentioned. "Met him at the Elite 11 camp, great guy."

The coach chuckled. "Yeah, he's a good kid and an even better quarterback, but you know that I'd take your commitment over his any day."

The signal-caller smiled, still not sick of the constant fawning and praise of his talents. "I appreciate it, Coach. I can't say I'm close to making another commitment, but you know that Syracuse will be up there no matter what."

That wasn't something that Marrone just wanted to hear; Sean Joseph meant it too. Even with his father's shadow following him, he would never rule Syracuse out of his potential college destinations. He grew up a fan of the program and he considered the Orange head coach a friend - there were plenty of worse scenarios that the quarterback could find himself in.

The two spoke for another ten minutes, then parted ways; Sean Joseph deciding to roam the halls for the remainder of the class period, while Marrone walked towards the gymnasium.

"Damn, that's what? 11 in a row?"

"12," Ethan said, rising up to drain another shot from behind the arc. "You know I could have played in the NBA, right?"

"And why didn't you?"

Ethan smirked as he put up another shot that fell through the net. "I decided being the next Jerry Rice was better than being another Kyle Korver."

Brad rolled his eyes at his friend. "You never were good at being modest."

"I always feel like I'm the best," the coach said as he shrugged his shoulders. "But you're not going to get me to say that."

His friend brushed off the comment. "So how's the job search coming along?"

Ethan debated on whether to tell him about Tennessee, then figured that he owed it to his friend to let him know. "I have an interest from someone."

"Oh shit, nice! Where at?"

"Tennessee."

You could hear a pindrop in the gym if Brad didn't drop the basketball first. "Really?"

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, they contacted me before Ray got the boot. No offer yet, but they've said I'm their top choice."

"That's awesome, Ethan. Do they think that you can bring in Sean Joseph if they offer you the job then?"

Ethan was about to answer, but the two Everett coaches turned their head to hear a door open.

"Figured I'd find you guys in here," the man chuckled as he approached Ethan and Brad. "Never could find you two apart from each other at Syracuse."

The Everett head man shook his college coach's hand. "Nice to see you, Coach."

"I see you boys have one hell of a team on your hands this year. Will there be another banner up there when the season's done?"

Coach Marrone pointed up to the corner where the school's 2008 PIAA Class AA title banner hung in all its glory. Conference and district title banners surrounded it, but the white pennant stood out in the sea of red.

"We're hoping Coach, we're hoping. Guessing you're here for Sean Joseph?"

Marrone nodded. "Yeah, I spoke to him earlier. Wanted to check up on him and also his dad about this NCAA stuff."

Ethan hadn't spoken to the Syracuse head man since the allegations came out so he expected the worse, but Marrone quickly erased his fears.

"Don't worry, Ethan. I talked to them the other day and they assured me that Syracuse wasn't getting anything."

"That's a relief," Ethan thought to himself. "Maybe since they contacted Syracuse, I'll hear about my fate soon."

"You've probably been doing this already, but I was hoping if you could push Sean Joseph towards Syracuse."

The Warriors head coach's brow raised at the wording, but he shook it off quickly. Marrone wasn't suggesting Ethan to commit the same mistake he did that got him into this mess with the NCAA.

"Before the commitment and after the decommitment, he's said that he has us in his top five, but I'd like to lock his commitment up as soon as I can. I have a great back-up plan in the Taylor kid from Brentwood, but we all know that Sean Joseph's the best quarterback out there. I only want to coach for a few more years, and I'd like to go out with one more title. I feel Sean Joseph would guarantee that for me, whereas Ricky Taylor might not."

Ethan nodded once again, knowing how desperate Marrone was for his third ring. The Orange already had a loss this season, so their title-less streak would most likely run to double-digits. At 63 years old, time was running out to accomplish that.

"I'm just asking for some help, Ethan. I hope you understand."

But there was also the dilemma of Ethan's coaching pursuit. If he were to get the job at Tennessee, then why would he push his son away from him?

"I'll see what I can do," the pupil answered, giving the teacher what he wanted to hear even if he didn't necessarily mean it.

Meanwhile on the other side of school, Sean Joseph aimlessly walked the halls waiting for the bell to ring. He studied the halls for the umpteenth time as the minutes passed, then was drawn to the familiar sound of Christina in the chorus room.

"Snuck out of class again?"

The light-skinned beauty looked up and smiled. "Just came in here to listen to my demo. Looks like you're not getting that gold star for perfect attendance today either."

Sean Joseph chuckled. "Want to take a walk?"

Christina nodded, packed up her things, and shut the door behind her. "So I haven't heard from you much over these last two days...I couldn't have possibly been that bad at mini golf, could I?"

"You won a free game on the 18th!" Ethan teased, drawing a playful push from the girl. "Nah, I've just been busy with all of this recruiting stuff, that's all."

"How does it all work?" Christina asked.

"I guess she really does want to learn more about football," the quarterback thought to himself before turning his attention back to her. "Basically, college coaches are always trying to secure a promise or commitment from a high school player to play for their university. I initially committed to Tennessee, but after their coach was fired, I decommitted. Because of this, coaches from all over are now coming to visit me because they want my commitment."

"That makes sense then," Christina said as a smirk slowly crept upon her face. "And because you're so good at football, you have lots of coaches wanting you to play for them."

"That 'so good' sounded sarcastic," Sean Joseph huffed.

Christina looked up at the quarterback with her dark brown eyes and giggled. "I'm only picking. I do need to come to a game sometime."

"How about next Friday?"

"I usually work on Fridays, I just got this one off because of my show."

"We don't have school next Friday though," Sean Joseph mentioned. "The game is at noon, so even if you have to work, you can be back in time for it."

"That might actually work," Christina said. "I'll just tell my boss I have a doctor's appointment and go in late."

"The game's away though, so you'll have to waste your gas on me."

Christina smiled as the bell ended their walk. "It wouldn't be a waste."

jmssportsfan6

The Sin City Stud
Jun 25, 2008
"You won a free game on the 18th!" Ethan teased, drawing a playful push from the girl. "Nah, I've just been busy with all of this recruiting stuff, that's all."

Damn even the author mixes up Ethan and Sean Joseph.

Good stuff man, good to see some nice progression for Sean Joseph in recruiting and dating.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Surprised that was the first time I did that. I know I mixed them up a few times in Pursuit of Happiness.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
The recruiting process was one of the most fun parts to write IMO. Just constant ego boosts for the main character.

Will it comes down to Syracuse and Ethan-led Tennessee? [face_thinking]

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
warriorswaylogo_zps8a398da7.jpg

WARRIORS EARN HARD FOUGHT VICTORY OVER HYNDMAN ON SENIOR NIGHT

update21photo_zpsa5aa01df.jpg

Hyndman had no answer for Mike Kennedy, who had over 200 yards receiving.

[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] | 03 | 10 | 00 | 14 | 27
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 03 | 17 | 14 | 10 | 44

EVERETT -- One of the conference's biggest surprises provided the Everett Warriors a tough task for their Senior Night.​
Usually when the schedules are made, two of the "easiest" games are the Homecoming game and Senior Night one. However, the Hyndman Hornets came into this contest with just two losses - both being close ones to Patriot Poll ranked teams.​
Everett came up victorious in the senior class's last regular season home game, defeating Hyndman, 44-27.​
"It's always nice to have the senior class remember their last home game as a win," head coach Ethan Woy said.​
The senior that shined the brightest was receiver Mike Kennedy. The Hornets had no answer for him on the outside as he burned the secondary for 218 yards and two touchdowns on nine catches.​
"He can play anywhere in America," senior quarterback Sean Joseph Woy said.​
10 of Kennedy's 39 catches on the season have gone for touchdowns. The six-foot target is currently deciding between Colorado, Tennessee, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, and UCLA to play his college ball.​
Woy had a tough day running the ball, gaining 57 yards on 20 carries, but threw for 334 yards and three scores. He also threw his first interception since the Warriors' 70-0 win over Moshannon Valley.​
"Can't be perfect," the younger Woy joked.​
The Warriors, who improved their record to 7-0 overall and 6-0 in ICC play, could clinch homefield advantage in the ICC Championship Game next week. However, standing in the way from clinching homefield - as well as the ICC Silver division altogether - is the Northern Bedford Panthers.​
"They've always been a thorn in our side since I arrived at Everett," the signal-caller said. "We have a few years of frustration to take out on them."​
Everett faced Northern Bedford twice last season, falling both times. The first match-up was in the middle of the regular season, where the Panthers won 27-7 in dominating fashion. The last game between the two rivals was an instant classic as now Pittsburgh Panther quarterback Matt Marshall scored from 34 yards out with two seconds remaining, giving Northern Bedford a 28-24 win in the District 5-AA semifinals.​
The Warriors' senior class will get one last shot at them on Friday afternoon.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Connor Swain 31 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Robby O'Connor 24 yard field goal

2nd Quarter
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Swain 22 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 9 yard pass to Thomas Jackson (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 5 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Michael Sanders 69 yard pass to Bryson Pollack (Swain kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - O'Connor 38 yard field goal

3rd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson 2 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 64 yard pass to Kennedy (O'Connor kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Sanders 26 yard pass to Greg Spicer (Swain kick)
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Roderick Weatherford 4 yard run (Swain kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 4 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - O'Connor 19 yard field goal

PASSING
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Michael Sanders, 17-30-259-2-2
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 16-24-334-3-1

RUSHING
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Roderick Weatherford, 10-37-1, Sanders, 17-32, Lenny Pleasant, 9-41, Sammie Purcell, 3-(-2)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson, 10-67-1, Woy, 20-57-1, Geoffrey Paul, 2-15, Jerome Jones, 1-3, Stan Waters, 1-2

RECEIVING
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Greg Spicer, 8-125-1, Bryson Pollock, 3-93-1, Weatherford, 2-14, Jake Evans, 2-9, Ernest Guerrero, 1-11, Pleasant, 1-7
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Mike Kennedy, 9-218-2, Jones, 3-70, Thomas Jackson, 2-26, Bryson Parham, 2-20

SACKS
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Willis Fountain (1.5), Guy Hendrix, Doug Gibbs (0.5)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Hassan Cobb, Bruce Thomas, Rodney Kirkpatrick

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#000000]HHS[/hl] - Byron Lucas
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Kirkpatrick, Taurean Grier

Records: Hyndman (4-3, 4-2), Everett (7-0, 6-0)

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Just a little update: Still have about 5-6 updates in the queue right now (not including the ICC one that will accompany this game later tonight), but the pace has just slowed down because I haven't had a lot of time to write with finals and women's hockey wrapping up for the semester. I'm heading home for a little break tomorrow till probably December 30th, so I plan on writing a lot during that time that way updates will come more frequently in 2014.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
aroundtheicclogo_zps934ddded.jpg

BACKYARD BRAWL COMES DOWN TO THE WIRE

update22photo_zps37bd9820.jpg

Northern Bedford receiver Ernie Mendoza silences the Tussey Mountain crowd with the game-winning touchdown. The Panthers won, 35-28.

"You have to fight through injuries in these rivalry games," Northern Bedford tailback Kedrick Barber said before their game against Tussey Mountain. "Can't let them see any weakness."​
Barber, who has been nursing a sprained ankle all season long, ran for a career-high 272 yards and two touchdowns as the Panthers defeated the Titans, 34-27, in the Backyard Brawl.​
Despite his heroic efforts, Barber was almost the goat for Northern Bedford. His fumble late in the game set up the tying touchdown, but then Joshua Davis-Myers found Ernie Mendoza for a 62-yard touchdown with 36 seconds left.​

ICC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offensive: Kedrick Barber, Sr., HB, Northern Bedford | 53 carries, 272 yards, 2 TD
Defensive: Rodney Kirkpatrick, So., CB, Everett | 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

GAME RESULTS
Everett 44, Hyndman 27
- Mike Kennedy, Sr., WR, EHS | 9 catches, 218 yards, 2 TD
Bellwood-Antis 31, Central 27
- Samson Weber, Sr., HB, BAHS | 22 carries, 130 yards, 1 TD
Tyrone 68, Bedford 14
- Roosevelt Crenshaw, Jr., WR, THS | 13 catches, 136 yards, 3 TD
Northern Bedford 35, Tussey Mountain 28
- Kedrick Barber, Sr., HB, NBHS | 53 carries, 272 yards, 2 TD
Southern Fulton 27, Glendale 7
- Ian Doss, Jr., QB, SFHS | 14-32, 206 yards, 2 TD

ICC GOLD DIVISION
Tyrone | 6-1, 5-1
Bellwood-Antis | 5-2, 5-1
Bedford | 3-4, 3-3
Central | 4-4, 2-4
Glendale | 0-7, 0-6
Mount Union | 0-7, 0-6

ICC SILVER DIVISION
Everett | 7-0, 6-0
Northern Bedford | 6-1, 6-0
Tussey Mountain | 5-2, 4-2
Hyndman | 4-3, 4-2
Southern Fulton | 2-5, 1-5
Forbes Road | 1-6, 0-6

WEEK 9 SCHEDULE
Everett @ Northern Bedford
Tyrone @ Bellwood-Antis
Tussey Mountain @ Hyndman
Glendale @ Forbes Road
Southern Fulton @ Mount Union
Central @ Bedford

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Expectations

Sean Joseph's alarm clock went off on Monday morning, but the quarterback had already been up for over an hour. He sat in a chair in front of his TV, watching the first half of last year's District 5-AA semifinal game.

Pause. Rewind. Pause. Rewind.

He studied his mistakes and looked for flaws in the positive plays. He didn't need to watch the second half because of the dislocated shoulder he suffered in this contest, but earlier this morning he already watched the first match-up with Northern Bedford.

"Get up, Sean Joseph!" Ethan said before he opened the door, pleased to see his son in preparation for Friday already. "D5 game?"

Sean Joseph nodded and turned back to the TV. "I watched the regular season game when I woke up."

"You want this one just as much as I do."

"More," the quarterback quickly fired back, eyes still glued to the screen.

"Fair enough," Ethan sighed. "I'm heading over to the school now though, so could you take your brother?"

Sean Joseph nodded once again. "Yeah, I'll start getting ready once this quarter is over."

The sun peaked up over the Appalachian Mountains as Sean Joseph failed to suppress a yawn brought forth by his lack of sleep. He knew that this week would be filled sleepless nights, and he wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Meanwhile, Brandon was wide awake in the passenger seat. He was a morning person unlike his half-brother, and was hitting the quarterback with a fury of questions as they made the 15 minute drive to the school.

"...so you're saying that this is a big rival of ours?"

Sean Joseph almost forgot that this would be Brandon's first taste of the yearly Everett / Northern Bedford contest, even if he were only in eighth grade. "Yeah. NBC and Tussey are our biggest rivals, and somehow we play them in back-to-back weeks this year. Lucky us."

"Do they play dirty?"

The quarterback almost left out a chuckle at his little brother's worry. "I'm not sure if they do in junior high, but yeah I'll take some late hits over the next two weeks. Did I mention how much I hate the schedule makers for giving us NBC and Tussey back-to-back?"

Brandon ignored his brother's rhetorical question. "Well if they do play dirty, then I'll just hit 'em with my fastball during baseball season!"

Now Sean Joseph couldn't help but laugh as Brandon imitated his left-handed throwing motion. "What made you decide to get into baseball anyways? Uncle Evan is the only one who played."

"Mom thought I needed another sport to play besides football," Brandon said as the car slowly came to a stop in the senior's parking spot. "I picked baseball the summer you guys moved and loved it. Pitching's a lot of fun, especially when I'm striking guys out."

Sean Joseph briefly thought about Rebecca - the woman he believed was his mother for most of his life - but quickly displaced those thoughts. He still didn't understand what went on between her and his father, but her absence in his life was something he accepted a while ago. A mother figure would have been nice for these upcoming months, but it just wasn't meant to be even if BreAnn helped out in that regard.

Northern Bedford week was always one that dragged. Sean Joseph felt like he had been in school for a whole day, yet he was only through one class. Teachers knew better than to schedule tests during this week in particular, so it gave the quarterback even less incentive to pay attention to his studies. Hell, if it wasn't for him having to take Brandon to school this morning, Sean Joseph probably would have stayed home for a few classes to watch more film.

His dazing off was interrupted however by his friend's rant.

"Fucking Kedrick robbing me of Player of the Week honors," Mike scoffed as he sat in second period physics with Sean Joseph. "Guy needed over 50 carries to run for 270!"

"Those are impressive stats dude," the quarterback quipped, chuckling at his receiver's frustration. "This is coming from the guy who's won four of these this year.

Mike shook his head. "You can fill your damn bedroom wall in those plaques. Let me get one of them this week, will ya?"

"Let's just concentrate on beating these fucks," Sean Joseph replied. "I don't care if I throw five picks Friday, as long as we win."

"The scouts will care though. One game like that and I'll be above you on the recruiting boards."

"That would require you getting a fifth star."

The back-and-forth banter was something Sean Joseph needed to keep awake, and it continued for a minute before the teacher up front shushed the two.

"So are we having something after the game since of our rule?"

The rule that Mike was referring to was also one made up by Ethan and the class of 2008 when they played. The usual get-together on Wednesday night would be altered on the weeks of the NBC and Tussey contests. Alcohol was prohibited during those school weeks, because of the yearly importance of those games in particular.

"Yeah I'll host something," Sean Joseph said. "That plays out well actually. When we win, I'm going to want to celebrate, but if we somehow lose, then I'm going to drink myself into a stupor."

"Great minds think alike, Sean Joseph. We're going to have one hell of a celebration."

20 minutes north of Everett, Jerald Myers, Santonio Howe, and Dorian Montgomery sat in a small, dimly lit room, taking advantage of the gym class period that they weren't required to participate in.

"Wait, wait, wait, rewind that back. Yeah, look at that hit!"

"Is that the one that separated his shoulder?"

Jerald flashed an evil grin and nodded. "Can't believe you let him catch that touchdown over you after that injury, Dorian."

"He gets it from his daddy," the cornerback shrugged, turning his head back to the TV. "If he focused on just receiver, he'd probably be the best one in the conference besides Crenshaw."

Jerald laughed as he took a sip of water. "Excuses are like assholes, D."

"And you're the biggest one here," Dorian shot back. "I have to admit they look much better this year. Enough of this though, put in their game against Tyrone."

Santonio sighed as he stood up, looking through the mess of DVDs before finding the one he wanted. "Doesn't matter if they're better. We own them."

"What is it now? Six straight?"

"Gonna be seven after Friday," a voice from the back answered.

The three defensive stars turned around to see their quarterback, Joshua Davis-Myers, standing behind them.

"Boy throws one game-winning touchdown and gets a big head," Jerald laughed, dapping up the junior signal-caller.

"Shut up man," Joshua scoffed as he pulled up a chair beside his teammates. "What? Are you boys not confident?"

"Of course we are," Santonio said. "I just find it funny that the quietest kid on the team during camp is throwing around guarantees and shit now."

"Yeah, what were you thinking with those tweets today?"

The quarterback brushed off the three sets of eyes staring at him. "It's nothing more than trash talk, you guys."

"Just stay focused," Dorian pleaded. "That was an awesome throw last week, but it won't mean shit when we take the field on Friday."

Joshua gritted his teeth, knowing his teammates were right. It had been a tough road to earn their respect after seeing what now-Pitt quarterback Matt Marshall did for Northern Bedford in their state playoff run last year. Josh had compiled numbers in his first season as starter that demanded some of the same respect, but beating Everett was a yearly tradition for the team. His game-winning touchdown pass last week against Tussey Mountain? Immediately forgotten if he couldn't get the job done on Friday.

@JDavisMyers7: can't believe we're looked at as an underdog 2 a team we've beat 6 times in a row... seven's bout to be a lock on friday

Sean Joseph scowled at his phone as he stared at his competition's message put out for the world to see. He didn't personally know Joshua Davis-Myers, but his reminder of Everett's recent history against Northern Bedford didn't exactly give off the best first impression. He debated on tweeting back at him, but he figured that would do more harm than good. The bulletin board material for Friday was now posted in Everett, and there was no way Sean Joseph would deliver the same story to Loysburg.

"One more class," the quarterback said to himself as he looked through his messy locker for his Calculus book. He briefly entertained the thought of skipping since it was Miss Wilt's class, but decide to tough it out and go anyways. There would be other opportunities this week to skip.

He found what he was looking for and shut the door, but then his world went black.

"Guess who?"

Sean Joseph chuckled and pulled the hands out from in front of him, immediately recognizing the voice. "You were on your tiptoes, weren't you?"

"Shut up!" Christina giggled, playfully slapping the quarterback on the arm. "It's not my fault that I'm barely five four."

The two shared a laugh as the bell rang for class. Sean Joseph was about to bid his adieus and try to make it to Miss Wilt's classroom before she arrived, but Christina stopped him.

"I wanted to give you this," the brown-eyed beauty said, handing the quarterback a disc. "I know it's kind of corny, but I knew that you wanted to be there last Friday so now I'm giving you the chance to do that."

Sean Joseph smiled and put the disc in his drawstring bag. "It won't be the same, but I appreciate it. I promise I'll be at your next one."

"I'll make sure to schedule it when you don't have a game," Christina teased. "Speaking of that though, I'm excited for Friday!"

The quarterback chuckled at her enthusiasm, but he'd be damned if it didn't feel good. "Geez, you're putting even more pressure on me! Not only is it a must-win game, but now I have to impress the prettiest girl in school too!?"

Sean Joseph stopped himself after the compliment, hoping not to overstep his boundaries. Even though the two had been on two dates, the quarterback still was second-guessing all of his steps because of the fear of taking things too fast. This was a strategy he had never used in his pursuits, but he felt was necessary to approach things this way if he wanted any chance for this to be labeled a relationship.

Christina opened her mouth to respond, but jumped when a voice from behind startled her.

"Hey, you two get out of the hall!"

Mr. Hughes, a freshman biology teacher, saw the two seniors in the hall alone and immediately assumed the worst.

"You might want to get to class," Sean Joseph snickered as he turned to leave.

A smile crept upon Christina's face, but no words left her lips. She stood there in silence for a few seconds, then another yell from Mr. Hughes pushed her in the opposite direction of the quarterback.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
"Happy Friday afternoon, Bedford County! Today we're here at Panther Community Stadium for a game that really needs no introduction. Northern Bedford and Everett, let's get it on!"

"Actually Matt, we're contractually obligated to give an introduction and we'll do just that after the break! Stay tuned folks, this is Everett Warrior football on 104.3 WSKE."

The feed went off the air for a Home Depot commercial as Matt Pollack turned to his colleague to apologize.

"Sorry Lance, I'm just a little excited for this one."

Lance Fisher chuckled. "I don't think there would be a single person in the area that'd disagree."

"I don't see why you dragged me here, Christina. Have you ever been to a football game?"

Christina hushed her friend. "I promised I'd go to one of my friend's games. And besides, football is the only thing people talk about around here, so why not try to stay informed?"

"Because football's stupid and all the players are assholes," Stephanie scoffed. "They all act like they run the town or something."

Stephanie was one of the few girls that Christina would consider a friend at Everett, and that's partly because she saw so much of her. The two had all but one class together, so forging a friendship with the blonde was inevitable. She did enjoy her company however, but knew how much she would complain when the two did something she didn't enjoy.

"You didn't have to come, you know?" the brunette chuckled.

"Gets me out of the house for the day," Stephanie shrugged as they sat down in their seats. "Plus you did say you'd pay for my ticket."

"You're lucky I got paid!"

The blonde laughed before turning her attention to the field. "You said you promised a friend to come to this; who may that be?"

Christina purposely never told the girl about her friendship with the star Everett quarterback, because she knew her thoughts about football. But seeing that they were both at a game and that she already mentioned it, the brunette figured she could let the blonde in on her secret.

"The quarterback," Christina said, leaving out his actual name.

"Jammal?" Stephanie asked, only knowing the back-up quarterback's name because they had a class together. Christina shook her head, leaving the blonde to ponder things again. "Northern Bedford's quarterback? I didn't know you had to go out of town for a man!"

Christina rolled her eyes. "Not him either."

Stephanie didn't want to believe her next assumption, but it was made obvious once she caught the brunette's brown eyes looking at him. "Sean Joseph? You're kidding!"

Christina nodded. "What's so crazy about that?"

"C'mon Christina, there's us and then there's people like Sean Joseph," Stephanie quipped, pointing at her then pointing to number seven decked in Everett's recognizable white and red.

Christina said nothing and just shook her head. She started to understand the star power Sean Joseph had, but knew that he was different beneath the surface.

"...Everett comes into this game 7-0, while the Panthers of Northern Bedford are 6-1 with their only loss to Patriot Poll top five team Imhotep Charter. We have two talented quarterbacks in this one, don't we Matt?"

"That we do, Lance. We've been singing Sean Joseph Woy's praises all season, but junior signal-caller Joshua Davis-Myers has done a fantastic job replacing Panther alumni Matt Marshall. Marshall led NBC to the PIAA Class AA quarterfinals last season and now is red-shirting at Pitt, and if Davis-Myers can continue to play like this, he might take the Panthers farther either this year or next."

"Davis-Myers has made some headlines in the wrong way too, Matt. He reportedly sent out a tweet earlier this week guaranteeing a seventh-straight win over their rivals. I remember when my pap told me about some Joe Namath fella guaranteeing a win in the Super Bowl...I guess Davis-Myers is just trying to be Broadway Joe!"

"I doubt he would know who Broadway Joe is, Lance. But anyways, let's talk a little bit about the Woys. Sean Joseph comes into this game as the nation's top quarterback, and the nation's top uncommitted recruit. You gotta think things have been hectic at the Woy household of late, right Lance?"

"I'd say so, Matt. With Sean Joseph's decommitment from Tennessee, the quarterback's phone bill must be off the charts with calls from numbers all over the country. No one really knows if he has a favorite at the moment, but I do know that the contingent of college scouts would like nothing more than an update on his status."

"Meanwhile, the head of that household has been on his own college search. We have heard that there's reportedly one school interested in hiring the Warrior head coach, but no one knows who that school actually is. You gotta think the NCAA's ruling in this illegal benefits case will play a big part in where Ethan is next year."

"Definitely will. And if they do come down on him, then I'm sure that he can always stay here. Between his contributions as a player, and as a coach - in addition to being a teammate of the AD's - I gotta think he has a lifetime deal as the Everett head man if he wants it."

"Which isn't a bad gig on its own right. We'll know more about this in the coming weeks, however. We'll take another break and be back for the opening kickoff here from Panther Community Stadium."

"...following a 41 yard kickoff return by Mike Kennedy, Everett will start their first drive from the right side of the 50."

Sean Joseph jogged out to the huddle, ignoring the chorus of boos that rained down from the Northern Bedford faithful. He glanced to see Christina sitting in the Everett contingent's front rows, smiled, and congratulated his friend on his return before relaying the first play to his teammates.

"First and ten for the Warriors. Woy takes the snap and drops back to pass, looks for Kennedy on the right side...and it's picked off! Santonio Howe jumped the curl route and suddenly Northern Bedford will have an early shot to take the lead!"

Sean Joseph ripped off his chinstrap and jogged to the sideline, sliding past the words of encouragement to grab a seat on the bench. He swore he could see Joshua Davis-Myers chuckling at his opponent's misfortune, and prayed that his mistake wouldn't come back to bite him in the ass.

The football gods answered those prayers after a Kedrick Barber first down run.

"...Davis-Myers is in the gun for a second down play...Melton's showing blitz from the right side. Snap's low and it's dropped! There's a scramble for the ball and Melton comes out with it! What an ugly start to this game with back-to-back turnovers!"

Sean Joseph sprinted back onto the field, impatiently waiting for the play to come in and wanting to make up for his early mistake. John took the first carry up the middle for a gain of one, then the quarterback overthrew his short slot receiver Jerome. With third and nine staring at the senior signal-caller, Sean Joseph decided to make an irrational decision and take a shot deep.

"...Woy takes the snap and he'll drop straight back. He has good protection and fires a rocket in Rashaud Ernst's direction...but it's picked off! Montgomery picks off the overthrow, and suddenly after coming into today's contest with just two interceptions, Sean Joseph has tied that total just minutes into this game!"

"Fuck!" Sean Joseph yelled, angrily unstrapping his chinstrap for the second time. There were less words of encouragement this time, and instead some reaming out from the two people he was closest with.

"I know your girl's in the stands today, but get your damn head in this fucking game, Sean J! I ain't losing to these fucks again!"

Sean Joseph did his best to ignore the receiver's yelling, but he couldn't help but wonder if Christina's presence was distracting him. The two interceptions were on throws that he made 99 times out of 100.

"Sean Joseph, get over here!" Ethan shouted, pulling his son to him. "Calm down, son! This game isn't gonna be won in the first five minutes! Go through your reads and if nothing's there, then so be it. Trust your D to make a stop. You're better than this!"

The quarterback walked back to the bench, sitting down on the cold metal as he took his father's words to heart. Maybe it wasn't Christina's presence, but rather him trying to do too much because of Joshua Davis-Myers' trash talk? Whatever it was, his dad was right. He was better than this, and he would let that show the next time he stepped onto the field.

Luckily for Sean Joseph, he got yet another chance after Kedrick Barber uncharacteristically fumbled a handoff. Wade Melton fell on it once again, and the quarterback jogged back out to the huddle with a different mindset.

"It's been a very sloppy start to this game, with neither team wanting to hold the ball."

"It's like a game of Hot Potato out there, Matt!"

"Woy will start in the gun once again, hoping to get back on track. He takes the snap and it's a designed draw play. There's a big hole and Woy sprints through it! He has the first down and more, tackled by Montgomery after a gain of about 21!"

The drive ended in a Robby O'Connor field goal, which might not be what Sean Joseph and the Warriors wanted, but it still dented the scoreboard.

However, Kedrick Barber had a mistake to make up for too.

"Barber takes the handoff, makes a man miss and he'll scoot into the end zone! Touchdown Panthers!"

"Barber did the heavy lifting on that drive, carrying the ball seven times and catching a pass. I think I'm stating the obvious when I say that the Warriors will see a lot of the All-State runningback today."

That's how the quarter ended, with Northern Bedford up, 7-3. The teams traded punts, leaving the Warriors on their own 32-yard line following a rare fair catch by Jerome.

"It's been somewhat of a defensive battle so far today, which has definitely shocked us considering the fire power on both offenses. Woy will line up under center for this first down play. He takes the snap and it's a pass the whole way...he scans the defense and fires over the middle...it's caught by Thomas Jackson for a first down."

Sean Joseph looked over to the sideline and saw Ethan wave his arm to signal the "fast break" offense, giving his son free reign of what to call next.

"Looks like they'll go with the hurry up now. Woy gets the snap and drops back...fires a bullet to the right side and it's caught by Kennedy. Kennedy makes a man miss and will get another first down!"

Sean Joseph tacked on a 17-yard run of his own, then decided it was time for the home run ball. He had help with that decision, however.

"...Woy drops back, flag goes up...I think a Panther end jumped early so the Warriors get a free play here! Woy launches a rocket down the sideline...it's caught by Parham! Touchdown Everett!"

That lead wouldn't last long. On the first play of Northern Bedford's next drive, Kedrick Barber took a sweep around the left end and scampered 75 yards to paydirt. Sean Joseph answered with a 60-yard score on a zone read, then Joshua Davis-Myers found Ernie Mendoza for an 11-yard touchdown to make it 21-17.

After a fumble by Mendoza near the red zone, Sean Joseph strapped on his helmet and was given one more shot to take the lead before halftime.

"...Woy is brought down after an 18-yard gain! Two first downs on this drive, but the clock is ticking."

Sean Joseph hurried his offense to the line and made some adjustments once he saw the look the Panther defense was in. He motioned Rashaud over to the right side, leaving Mike as the only receiver on the left, and hoped he'd see the coverage he expected to see.

"Woy motions Ernst to the right so there'll be trips to that side. Here's the snap, he drops back and has decent protection...fires a bomb deep over the middle...it's caught! Jones reels it in and there's going to be no one that catches him! Touchdown Warriors!"

The third quarter flew by, with both teams trading touchdowns after coming up with nothing on their previous drives. This was shaping up to be another last-second finish like last year's District 5-AA semifinal game, and although Sean Joseph handled that kind of tension pretty well against Tyrone, this was a different animal because of their past history.

Northern Bedford tied the game up early in the fourth with a field goal, and Jerome brought the ensuing kickoff out to the 32-yard line. The crowd was at fever pitch as they sensed momentum shifting the home team's way, but there was no way Sean Joseph would let that happen.

"...Woy takes the snap and it's another read option. He keeps it and has blockers out in front! This will be a first down and even more! He's to the 50, the 40...side-steps a tackler! The 30, 20, 10...touchdown Warriors! That's gotta be a backbreaking touchdown if I've ever seen one!"

But it wasn't. Kedrick Barber took things into his own hands, breaking off a 54-yard run on third and four to bring the crowd back to their feet. The drive was eventually halted and ended in another field goal, but the Panthers let Everett know that they weren't going away that easy.

"...and the Panthers D holds Woy short! The senior looks frustrated out there, but O'Connor will come out with a chance to give the Warriors a touchdown lead."

Robby did just that, booting the ball between the uprights from 22 yards out to make the score 41-34, but they left Northern Bedford with too much time to tie it.

After a touchback, Joshua Davis-Myers went to work. Three straight completions netted 69 yards, but the Warrior defense held strong and forced three straight incompletions. One play would determine the duration of this game, just as it was meant to be.

"Davis-Myers barks out the cadence...this is NBC's last chance, folks. The junior gets the snap and here comes the rush! He avoids it and lofts a pass to the right corner of the end zone...it's caught! It's caught by Childs! The senior slot receiver got free and we're an extra point away from a tied game! Unbelievable!"

Sean Joseph gritted his teeth as he saw a smirking Joshua Davis-Myers at the coin toss to determine possession in overtime. That blind throw he made to tie the game was the definition of luck, and the junior quarterback probably knew it too - yet none of that mattered. They were back to where they started, and now the slightest of mistakes could give the game away.

To make matters worse, Sean Joseph's call of tails contradicted what side the coin landed on, giving the senior signal-caller the ball first in this overtime period.

"...Watson gains seven on the carry and it's a first down for the Warriors! Good start for the offense here."

Sean Joseph breathed a sigh of relief after the first movement of the chains, figuring it would be smooth sailing from there. However, a missed read on an option lost two yards, then a sack knocked them back nine more.

"Third and goal here from the 20. Woy's in the gun. Takes the snap and the rush is coming...he avoids the first defender and has a lot of room on the right side! Woy's off...no! He's tripped up by a NBC defender and Everett will be forced to kick a field goal. A shoestring tackle might have given this game to Northern Bedford!"

Sean Joseph slammed his fist in disbelief that he was caught from behind, especially when he had such a clear path to the end zone. As Robby's field goal held true, the quarterback sighed knowing that Northern Bedford had the opportunity to steal a win and take the ICC Silver Division.

However, the Everett defense held true and forced Northern Bedford into a field goal attempt of their own. It, too, went through the uprights, sending the game into a second overtime.

"...Barber will give Northern Bedford a manageable third and four here after a six-yard carry."

Ethan watched as Joshua Davis-Myers broke the huddle and lined up his unit in their usual shotgun formation. The junior impressed the Warrior head coach throughout the game with his decision-making and ability to escape the pocket, but he was starting to notice a hand signal that he made after scanning the defense.

Sure enough, the Panther signal-caller made the same motion towards Mendoza after the offense lined up.

"Chris! Chris!" Ethan cried out for the attention of his outside linebacker Chris Brady. The junior looked at him and saw the adjustment the coach wanted him to make, then waited for the snap.

"Davis-Myers takes the snap and it's a screen...Mendoza catches it, but is met immediately by Chris Brady for a loss of four! Brady sniffed that out from the start and now Northern Bedford will have to settle for three."

"This is what you wanted, right?"

Sean Joseph looked up at his dad as the crowd's cheering let the Woys know that the field goal was good. Then the quarterback smirked as the October air blew through his dirty blonde locks.

"Exactly what I wanted."

"So here come the Warriors for their second possession of overtime with a chance to win it. First down from the 25...Watson takes the handoff from Woy and is hit immediately by a Panther lineman! It looks like he might have gotten back to the line of scrimmage, but either way, not a good start for the Everett offense."

"Sorry about that fellas," offensive tackle Duane Fenton said as the team huddled up. "He just got by me."

"It's fine," Sean Joseph assured him as he looked over to the sidelines for the next play. "Just make sure you get him on this one."

"It's second down and 11 from the 26 for Everett. Woy lines up in the gun and takes the snap...it's high but he corrals it. He makes a man miss and escapes from the pocket! Here he comes, folks! He'll finally step out-of-bounds after a gain of 20, and it'll be first and goal!"

Sean Joseph earned some congratulations after the escape from disaster, but he quickly shut up his teammates by hurrying them back up to the line. He didn't deserve any of their praise until he won this game.

"And it looks like Woy will hurry them back! The senior barks out signals and takes the snap. He drops back, but it's a designed draw! Woy scoots to the outside...and he's in! Touchdown Everett! Touchdown Everett! The Everett Warriors are going to the ICC Championship!"

FutureIsHere

Oh Hai
Jul 3, 2007
QB cheese indeed. dont think ive posted in here for quite some time so ill just say daddy Woy gets the Tenn gig, not sure of any NCAA sanctions... maybe just some postseason bans. and ill say QB1 goes to a Tennessee rival. boom. locked in.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Interesting guess. We'll see if you're right, Dave.

I'll post the game story when I'm home from work.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

WARRIORS GET OVER WOES AGAINST NBC, WIN SILVER DIVISION

update25photo_zps6aedb93c.jpg

Sean Joseph Woy drags a Northern Bedford tackler into the endzone on this 60-yard touchdown.

[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 03 | 21 | 07 | 10 | 03 | 06 | 50
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] | 07 | 14 | 07 | 13 | 03 | 03 | 47

LOYSBURG -- Finally. That's all that needs to be said.​
The word "finally" can refer a number of different things. It could refer to the time of the game, which went two overtimes and lasted for over four hours. It could refer to Everett snapping their six-game losing streak to Northern Bedford. Or it could refer to Everett clinching the ICC Silver division, giving them a shot at their first conference championship since 2008.​
No matter how you slice it, the main result stays the same. The Warriors knocked off the Panthers, 50-47, in two overtimes.​
"'Finally' was the first word that came to mind once we won," quarterback Sean Joseph Woy said. "I'm so proud of my teammates and all that we've accomplished so far. We deserve to be hosting that championship game in two weeks."​
In one of the best high school games anyone will see all year, Everett and Northern Bedford exchanged leads eight different times and were tied at three other instances. There was also six touchdowns of 40 yards or longer between the two teams - four of them being through the air.​
"Probably tops the Tyrone game for me," Woy added. "We needed to win this one, even if we somehow had nothing to play for."​
The senior signal-caller had two interceptions for the first time all season, but that was the only blemish on his performance. He threw and ran for three touchdowns a piece and accounted for 500 total yards (264 passing, 236 rushing).​
The effort of Panthers senior tailback Kedrick Barber can't go understated. Hobbled this season with a sprained ankle, he surpassed his career-high in rushing yards (that he set last week against Tussey Mountain) by running for 302 of them on 31 carries.​
"It's strange to know we won't be playing for a conference championship this year," Barber said. "This hurts."​
Despite clinching homefield in the ICC Championship, Everett feels like they have something to play for next week. Of course, no matter what the records are, a chance to beat hated rival Tussey Mountain doesn't need any extra motivation.​
"We'll enjoy this for a bit and then get back to work," Woy said. "We know all about Tussey and they know all about us. I'm sure they want nothing more than to give us our first loss."​
Warriors head coach Ethan Woy was not available for comment after the game. Everett will travel to Saxton to face the Titans next Friday night.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Robby O'Connor 42 yard field goal
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Kedrick Barber 5 yard run (Alphonso Dodd kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 41 yard pass to Bryson Parham (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Barber 75 yard run (Dodd kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 60 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Joshua Davis-Myers 10 yard pass to Ernie Mendoza (Dodd kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 68 yard pass to Jerome Jones (O'Connor kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Barber 55 yard run (Dodd kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 12 yard pass to Thomas Jackson (O'Connor kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Dodd 47 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 68 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Dodd 28 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - O'Connor 22 yard field goal
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Davis-Myers 7 yard pass to Skip Childs (Dodd kick)

1st Overtime
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - O'Connor 29 yard field goal
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Dodd 34 yard field goal

2nd Overtime
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Dodd 39 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 6 yard run

PASSING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 16-29-264-3-2
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Joshua Davis-Myers, 22-34-294-2

RUSHING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy, 25-236-3, John Watson, 12-52, Jerome Jones, 1-11, Geoffrey Paul, 2-10
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Kedrick Barber, 31-302-3, Davis-Myers, 5-10

RECEIVING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Thomas Jackson, 4-66-1, Bryson Parham, 4-53-1, Mike Kennedy, 4-40, Jones, 2-87-1, Manny Ellison, 1-14, Watson, 1-4
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Ernie Mendoza, 9-119-1, Brigham Ross, 4-96, Bernard Perry, 2-25, Barber, 2-23, Warren Crosby, 2-15, Markeith Sanchez, 1-8, Skip Childs, 1-7-1, Jonas Burnette, 1-1

SACKS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Bruce Thomas, Lavelle Bowman
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Jared Gilliam, Jerald Myers, Renaldo Minor

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None
[hl=#000000]NBHS[/hl] - Santonio Howe, Dorian Montgomery

Records: Everett (8-0, 7-0), Northern Bedford (6-2, 6-1)

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Reunion

"Great," the man thought as the 5:00 on the car's dashboard stared him in the face. "Might have an hour of daylight left, at most."

The man claimed the first parking spot he could find and quickly got out of the car. Walking around to the vehicle's trunk, he grabbed the various items that were lying in there and shut the door before starting his walk. Even with the lack of sunlight left in the day, he was still thankful that the weather this year was better than last year's downpour. That was downright miserable to spend a day in.

Eventually the man arrived at his destination and weakly smiled. He set the white roses and chocolates down on the grass, then took a seat near the gifts.

"Happy birthday, hun. It was tough to find white roses this year. Apparently the flower shop downtown wasn't selling them."

A slight breeze gently brushed his face as he looked at the tombstone reading Melyssa Woy. His soulmate would have been 36 today, and it didn't get any easier each year physically apart from each other.

"I hate it that I'm this late, but you know I wouldn't miss spending your birthday with you for the world. Tell the big man upstairs thanks for holding off on the rain this time."

Ethan laughed as he reminisced about this day over the last 15 years. No matter where he was playing at or how the forecast looked, he would find a way to get back to Everett to visit Melyssa on her birthday. This included the 2018 Monday Night Football game in Baltimore, the downpour last year, and the half a foot of snow in 2021.

He looked around the grave and frowned, seeing that his momentos were again its only decoration. After his wife's death, her parents sold their restaurant and moved back down to Hilton Head, eventually leaving Ethan as the only visitor on this day. The coach still got along with the Washingtons, but he knew their relationship to him now existed because of his friendship with their son, Troy. If it wasn't for Melyssa's older brother serving as his agent, then there probably wouldn't be any communication between the two parties.

The amount of gifts weren't the only thing that diminished over the years. The headstone itself was losing its luster too; once glossed over to the point where Ethan would see his own reflection, the monument now looked like it was stashed under the bed and collected a dust bunny or two. He tried to clean it up a few years, but it was no use - it'd only continue to deteriorate just like how the memory of her would at some point fade.

Once in a spot by itself, the tombstone now had company with at least 10 others surrounding it. Some years Ethan would take the time to look over them, and every time he'd cringe at the baby boy that died in 2015 or the child's father that died in battle just two years later. The coach didn't try to hide his fear of death; he knew damn well it could, and probably should have been him in that coffin because of his stupid mistakes. Hell, those mistakes were partly the reason why Melyssa sat above him high above the clouds, while he continued to live his life with a permanent hole in his heart.

"Hope everything's going well up there," Ethan said softly as he looked up to the bright sky. "Things are good here - well at least as good as they're gonna be. We won again today and your son scored the winning touchdown."

The coach swore he heard a chuckle as another breeze passed by. Melyssa was always a football fan, even before meeting him.

"Speaking of your son, I swear he looks more like you every day. Remember those baby blue eyes of mine he was born with? Well, your green eyes are starting to creep him there now."

He looked over to see a runner slow down and confusingly stare at him before taking off on a quicker pace to get away. It wasn't unusual for someone to look at him when he was talking to Melyssa, but he wondered why he was given that kind of look. The coach then glanced down at his attire and it came to him. He was still wearing the unmistakable red Everett polo, tan khakis and white hat that he wore on the sidelines every Friday night.

"Your son is going 18 in four months. 18! I can't believe how quickly time has gone by."

This yearly visit also reminded Ethan how awful he felt knowing that Sean Joseph would never have a mother figure in his life. Melyssa passed when the kid was two, and as much as Rebecca tried, she was much more attached to her own flesh and blood rather than her rival's. He secretly wanted BreAnn to grow into that role, but at this point it was probably a lost cause.

"He's gone through a lot over the past year. Found out he was addicted to painkillers during the season and his girlfriend of a year who helped him get through it ended up cheating on him this summer. Poor kid was an absolute wreck."

Ethan sighed deeply, not wanting to remember his son's experience with Excedrin. He couldn't remember the last time he was that afraid about something or someone, and with the pain of Melyssa's death always lingering around, he wouldn't know what to do if something drastically happened to Sean Joseph.

"It wasn't all bad for him, though. He did get to go to Tennessee and Cali - that's more of a vacation than what we ever got to take!"

The coach chuckled once again to himself, then took a deep breath before continuing.

"It's going to be scary possibly being away from him next year, but I know he'll be able to handle everything that comes with college. You would be so proud of him, Melyssa. I hope he knows that."

Ethan looked out of the corner of his eye to see another runner pass by, then looked up to see the slowly setting behind the Appalachian Mountains. There were plenty of other views that were more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but a fall Pennsylvania sunset wasn't anything to scoff at either.

"This might be my last year in Everett, but don't worry, I'll be back to visit you every year. I have a chance at coaching back in Tennessee, and I don't think I have to remind you how much I want that opportunity."

Melyssa and Ethan would often speak about their futures together, and what life would look like when the couple were in their late 30s. Melyssa dreamed about having her own psychiatrist office, while Ethan knew a career in coaching college football was in his plans.

"But the NCAA might try to take that chance away from me already because of some silly mistake I made ten years ago. I fully admitted what I did and all, but the longer they wait before telling me their decision, the more I worry. I'm not saying I don't deserve to be punished, I'm older now and know when I've fucked up - pardon my language. But I really hope my shot at coaching in college ends before I even get a chance to start."

Ethan took another deep breath and checked his phone, seeing that he missed a call from Bre. "Must be waiting for me to come home."

"As funny as it sounds, leaving Everett again scares me," the coach said as he looked back up to the slowly darkening sky. "BreAnn's been good for me over the last few years, but if I take a job somewhere else, I'm not sure if she'll follow me. She has a chance to become the new principal at Everett, and that's always been her dream job. It would be tough for her to let that go just to follow me, but in the same boat, it would be tough for me to stay in Everett just to let her live out her dream."

Another chuckle escaped Ethan's lips as a light gust of wind brushed through the trees. "Yes, I know that sounds like a TV show plot, dear. Don't laugh."

The shadow behind the coach disappeared as the sky turned into dusk. Ethan sighed and got down on one knee, then ran his hand on the headstone, silently thinking about what could have been if Melyssa were still on Earth today. Sitting in same position for a few minutes, he then gave the monument a kiss before opening his eyes.

This was always a harsh reality to come back to - that this would be the closest Ethan would physically be with his soulmate. Despite being more comfortable with what had happened, the coach found it more of a struggle each year to leave her burial grounds. At some point he would have to accept that she wouldn't be coming back, and stop comparing every woman he would ever date to the woman he married at 20 years old. His fear of being alone could not be cured if the man who is afraid was unwilling to fully commit himself to someone new.

"I love you, Melyssa," he softly whispered. "And I always will."

But today was not that day. Ethan stood up and looked towards the dark sky one last time, then made the lonely walk back to his car.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
The Path Less Traveled

While Ethan escaped the aftermath of Everett's big win for the night, his oldest son was right in the midst of it.

"Fuck NBC!"

Mike's rallying cry brought forth a loud roar from the entire house, as it was near capacity within the first hour of the party. The receiver raised his cup and toasted with a few people around him, then walked out of the living room to find his best friend.

He walked upstairs and saw his quarterback's bedroom door wide open, with the signal-caller pacing and muttering to himself in plain sight. Mike chuckled at the clear-as-day nervous aura Sean Joseph left off, and the receiver's cackles were loud enough that his friend stopped in his tracks.

"Careful SJ, you might burn a hole in your floor if you keep that up."

Sean Joseph rolled his eyes and walked over to his nightstand to take a swig of beer. He then looked at his phone and didn't see a new message, then sighed as he sat down on his bed.

"Let me guess, Christina's making an appearance tonight?" Mike smirked, in which his quarterback replied with a nod. "Damn man, I've never seen you so high-strung over someone."

The signal-caller shrugged and looked back at his phone. His best friend was right, but he wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing that.

"Shit bro, if an opposing team knew how jittery you got over women, they'd just throw their cheerleading squad out there to stop you."

Sean Joseph couldn't help but crack a smile at Mike's comment. "Sorry man, just hoping not to screw things up tonight when she gets here."

"She must have some kind of hold on you if you're acting like this."

The quarterback shrugged once again, rolling his eyes for extra emphasis. "Maybe she does."

"At least you aren't sulking over Haley anymore," Mike said as he took another sip of his beer. "Rather see you like this instead of moping around and shit."

Sean Joseph checked his phone once more, but yet again there was no response. "She'll show up sometime, right?"

The receiver chuckled and patted his best friend on the back. "'Course she'll show up, SJ. Now quit your damn worrying and let's play some pong."

"...unbelievable, man. Un-fucking-believable."

"All that disbelief ain't going to make things different, Marco. Result's still going to stick whether you want to believe it or not."

Marco Higgins let out a deep sigh and pressed the Coors Light to his lips. A pre-season contender to win the ICC, Tussey Mountain was dealt their final blow tonight, falling to Hyndman to the tune of 28-7. With the defeat, the Titans wouldn't even have the chance to compete for a District 5-AA title, and their season would end next week - regardless of outcome - to their hated rivals, Everett.

"Damnit, I really fucking hate your honestly sometimes, Deonte. You know that?"

His receiver weakly smirked. "Just trying to be realistic. You'll forget all about this shit anyways when you're in Philly next year."

Marco huffed and took another sip of his beer. Not a single word of Deonte Sledge's attempt at encouragement would change his mind that his career as Tussey's starting varsity quarterback was a failure. The Titans were in the midst of a four-year conference title drought, but they were able to make a deep state playoff run in 2025 under Marco's predecessor Ryan Henderson, who now was starting as a red-shirt freshman for Arizona. Under Marco's watch, Tussey only made the District 5-AA playoffs once, and hadn't beaten Everett or Northern Bedford.

Sure Temple would give the graduating signal-caller a new start, but it was hard to escape the failures of his on-the-field past - especially when he was reminded of it by the blonde walking over in his direction.

"Thanks for the beer, babe," Marco said as cheerleader took a seat on his lap. "Sorry this isn't the Friday night you expected."

Haley Shaffer turned and wrapped her legs over the quarterback's before giving him a kiss. "It's fine. As long as I'm with you, nothing else matters."

Deonte gagged at the couple's corniness. "You two make me sick. Hey Haley, could you check what happened in the Everett/NBC game this afternoon? Phone's dead."

The hair on the back of the cheerleader's neck raised at the mention of the Warriors, but she ignored it as she pulled out her phone. "Everett won, 50-47. Two overtimes."

"Sounds like one hell of a fucking game," Marco muttered under his breath, not hiding his bitterness whatsoever. "They clinch tonight?"

Deonte flashed another smirk. "Yup, but that doesn't mean we can end their perfect season next week."

Marco looked the junior pass-catcher in the eyes and nodded as Haley wrapped her arms around him. Even though he viewed his career in the black and red as a failure, that didn't mean he couldn't salvage some of it by knocking off Sean Joseph Woy and Everett.

"Can we get some real opponents on the table here? I'm tired of washing all of y'all!"

"Even though I'm carrying your ass," Sean Joseph quipped, drawing a punch on the arm from Mike. "But seriously, who's next?"

"I think your girl's next."

"Christina's here?"

Mike shook his head and turned Sean Joseph around. "Not exactly."

The quarterback saw Brandi walking in her direction and sighed, knowing this probably wasn't going to be a pleasant conversation. The two hadn't talked since Homecoming, and he knew that she was still upset with him not giving her an answer to her question.

"Hey there Bran-"

"Shut it, Sean Joseph."

The quarterback couldn't remember if he had ever seen a scowl like the one on Brandi's face. He understood why she was upset, but he didn't really care. A Brandi temper tantrum was the last thing Sean Joseph needed when Christina could show up any minute.

"I can't believe you!" the blonde shrieked, drawing attention from outsiders. "Do you know how embarrassed I was when you couldn't give me a damn answer at Homecoming? What are we, Sean Joseph? Or what were we?"

"Well-"

"I can tell you exactly what I was to you! I was nothing more than a rebound, just someone to help you get over getting cheated on!"

Sean Joseph tensed up, wondering how Brandi would know that. He thought he did a good job of keeping the reasoning for his break-up with Haley under wraps.

"Brandi, don't go there," he muttered under his breath.

"Yeah, that's right everyone!" Brandi shouted, drawing even more attention to her and the quarterback. "Your star quarterback got cheated on by his girlfriend! That means someone thought that he wasn't good enough for them!"

"I'm sorry," Sean Joseph again muttered under his breath, face red full of embarrassment and anger.

Brandi rolled her eyes. "Sure you are. Let me ask you, did I do my job? Are you done crying over her? Did you end up finding someone better?"

And just as fate would have it, as soon as the last word escaped Brandi's lips, Sean Joseph's phone started to ring. "Yes Brandi."

The blonde went to continue her rant, but the quarterback's response brought forth some confusion. "Yes what?"

"Yes Brandi, I found someone better. And if you excuse me, I'm going to meet her now."

Brandi's jaw slightly dropped as she watched Sean Joseph walk past and out the door.

"Why don't you want to go inside? Aren't you worried the place will get trashed without you there?"

Sean Joseph smiled and shook his head. "I'll have to clean it up tomorrow morning regardless, so as long as they don't break anything then I don't care. Besides, I can always go ahead and buy a replacement for the broken stuff."

"Look at you flaunting your money," Christina chuckled. "Didn't think you were like that, Mr. Joseph."

"You know I hate when you call me that," Sean Joseph sighed.

Christina smirked. "Which is exactly why I do it."

The quarterback shook his head once more and continued driving, tapping his fingers impatiently as they got closer and closer to his destination. He just needed to get away after Brandi's outburst, and figured his usual spot would do the trick. It was a stroke of luck that Christina arrived at the same time.

"Where are we going anyways? I didn't really dress up to go on a midnight nature hike."

"We're almost there, give me a second."

Another minute passed before they finally arrived at the destination. Sean Joseph shut the SUV off and got out, helping Christina up on the hood before jumping up himself.

"Wow," the light-skinned beauty said, admiring the sight in front of her. "Is that Everett?"

It wasn't necessarily the same as looking at the city of Pittsburgh from Mount Washington, or at Seattle from Kerry Park, but there was still something special about a skyline view of the ever-growing town.

Sean Joseph nodded. "Ever since I moved here, this would be my spot when I needed to get away from everything else."

"Well it's definitely a peaceful area," Christina replied, still admiring the lights of the little town below.

"When I first got here, I'd come up to this spot and spend a lot of nights just wondering about my mother," the quarterback continued, not even realizing where he was taking this conversation. "Who she really was, how she'd view me now, etcetera."

Christina weakly frowned. "You didn't know your mother?"

"She had me when my dad was in college so I don't remember much about her," Sean Joseph said, eyes fixated on the night sky. "She died in a car crash when I was two."

"I'm so sorry Sean Joseph," Christina said as she instinctively placed her hand on his lap in an attempt to show comfort.

"My dad remarried a few years later and I went most of my life thinking this woman was my actual mother," the quarterback sighed. "But they started fighting during my freshman year and eventually divorced, which led to us moving up here. Dad dropped both bombshells at the same time; that we were moving and that she wasn't my mom."

There was silence on the other end as Christina didn't know to how comprehend everything. She had her own skeletons locked up in her closet, so she knew never to judge someone by what they perceived to be on the surface. But she couldn't admit that she saw this coming. Sean Joseph had everything going for him - he was the son of an NFL player, loaded with money, one of the country's best high school athletes, and wasn't the pompous prick most jocks were. Who would have guessed he would have had so many problems finding a mother figure in his life?

"I still think about that every now and then, but I've learned to accept it. Nowadays when I come up here, I just wonder about where I'll be at this time next year."

"Do you have any ideas of where that would be?" Christina asked, slightly thankful he changed the subject.

Sean Joseph shrugged. "I always thought I'd go back to Tennessee, help turn their team around, and become an even bigger legend than my father in the state. But I probably shouldn't have put all my eggs in that basket, because now I'm clueless as to who I want to play for or where I want to go. I love Syracuse because of Dad, and there are schools like Florida State and UCLA that I've been in contact with, but I don't know. When they fired Coach, that threw my entire future into a tailspin."

Christina nodded and looked up at the sky. "You were right; this place can really make you think."

The quarterback weakly smiled and slowly laid down against the windshield. "Told ya."

"I wonder where I'll be at this time next year too," the light-skinned beauty said, leaning back against the windshield as well.

"Did you ever apply to NYU?"

"Yeah, but I haven't heard anything yet. Even if I get in, I wouldn't have the money to go. My grades aren't good enough to earn any scholarship money."

Sean Joseph sighed, knowing that Christina had the talent and the work ethic to succeed at NYU. "So where does that leave you?"

Christina turned her head and smiled. "It leaves me sitting here on the hood of a car with the sweetest guy in town."

Sean Joseph then turned his head and grinned. "Sweetest, you say?"

"Don't let it get to your head," Christina giggled, slightly pushing the quarterback aside.

Sean Joseph smiled and looked back at the night sky, falling into deep thought once more. Silence fell between the two for a few minutes, then the brown-eyed beauty spoke up.

"You know what I realized?"

The quarterback rolled over until his eyes met the brown pupils of Christina. "What's that?"

"This is the first time you haven't been nervous around me."

Sean Joseph sat up and shrugged his shoulders. "I guess it is."

"Why is that?" Christina asked, giggling after realizing how that sounded. "Don't get me wrong, I'm flattered, but I'm just curious."

The quarterback rolled his eyes in jest, but then took a brief moment to actually think about why that was. How could he go from pouring water on her and forgetting his wallet at dinner to this? He might have had a few drinks tonight, but surely that wasn't it.

Then it hit him - the conversation about his mother. He hadn't told anyone in the world about that situation; not even his closest of friends. Yeah, it was a popular topic to think about when he came up to this spot alone, but it had to take someone like Christina for Sean Joseph to finally open up about it.

Sean Joseph turned to Christina and smiled. "Just feel comfortable around you now."

And that's when the quarterback finally made his move, leaning in to lock lips with the light-skinned beauty. Christina seemed shocked at first, but pushed that away quickly because the moment felt right.

Seconds passed before they slowed down to a stop; each set of eyes seeing the same guilty grin on the other's face. It was then Christina who spoke up first again.

"You know, I kinda wish you would have done that earlier. I was about to give up."

Sean Joseph froze up and his expression changed to worry. "What?"

Christina quickly erased his doubts by leaning in to give him another kiss. "Like I've said, you're easy to mess with."

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Christina revealing that she has no idea where she wants to go makes things interesting re: recruiting. [face_thinking]

Smudger90

Noob
Jan 16, 2011
Sean Joseph already has a history of getting invested with girls apparently, so unless something seriously bad happens between them. Where Christina goes Sean Joseph goes.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Not R.I.P., just been busy with work and school. I'll get an update up here either today or tomorrow.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
aroundtheicclogo_zps934ddded.jpg

ICC CHAMPIONSHIP SET; EVERETT TO HOST TYRONE IN REMATCH

Everett and Tyrone both defeated division rivals and are officially going to play in the ICC Championship on October 30th.​
Tyrone knocked off bitter rival Bellwood-Antis, 27-24, thanks to Roosevelt Crenshaw's two touchdown day. That gives the Golden Eagles four straight wins over the Blue Devils.​
Hyndman upset Tussey Mountain, 28-7, and will guarantee themselves a top three slot in the ICC Silver division. They can finish second with a win over Northern Bedford next week.​

ICC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offensive: Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, Everett | 16-29, 264 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 25 carries, 236 yards, 3 TD
Defensive: Wade Melton, Jr., SS, Everett | 6 tackles, 2 FF, 2 FR

GAME RESULTS
Everett 50, Northern Bedford 47 [OT]
- Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, EHS | 16-19, 264 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 25 carries, 236 yards, 3 TD
Tyrone 27, Bellwood-Antis 24
- Roosevelt Crenshaw, Jr., WR, THS | 9 catches, 140 yards, 2 TD
Hyndman 28, Tussey Mountain 7
- Michael Sanders, Sr., QB, HHS | 9-16, 105 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 13 carries, 58 yards, 1 TD
Forbes Road 12, Glendale 7
- Kevin Holland, Jr., QB, FRHS | 18-41, 246 yards, 1 TD
Southern Fulton 27, Mount Union 10
- Alex Sharp, So., HB, SFHS | 21 carries, 93 yards, 2 TD
Central 38, Bedford 7
- T.C. Clayton, Sr., HB, CHS | 17 carries, 65 yards, 2 TD

ICC GOLD DIVISION
Tyrone | 7-1, 6-1
Bellwood-Antis | 5-3, 5-2
Central | 5-4, 3-4
Bedford | 4-4, 3-4
Glendale | 0-8, 0-7
Mount Union | 0-8, 0-7

ICC SILVER DIVISION
Everett | 8-0, 7-0
Northern Bedford | 6-2, 6-1
Hyndman | 5-3, 5-2
Tussey Mountain | 5-3, 4-3
Southern Fulton | 3-5, 2-5
Forbes Road | 2-6, 1-6

WEEK 10 SCHEDULE
Everett @ Tussey Mountain
Tyrone @ Central
Forbes Road @ Southern Fulton
Mount Union @ Glendale
Northern Bedford @ Hyndman
Bellwood-Antis @ Bedford

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Past Becoming Present

Despite not really bringing it up himself, word spread fast the following Monday at school that Sean Joseph Woy and the new girl were official.

"Christina Rogers?" Brittany Garrison asked her friend Stacy Allen as the two cheerleaders walked down the hall. "Doesn't seem like she would be his type, at all."

"Beats me girl," Stacy replied with a shoulder shrug. "I don't think I've ever seen her in my life."

Even the quarterback's teammates were talking about it.

"Here he comes, Mr. Heartbreaker himself!" John cried out as Sean Joseph reached their usual lunch table.

The quarterback rolled his eyes. "Why is this the talk of the damn school? I've been getting opinions from every damn girl on campus, including ones that I've never talked to in my life. Oh, you can't approach me when I'm single but you can give me your thoughts on my girlfriend when I'm in a relationship? Fucking annoying man, shit."

"Cause you broke a lot of hearts, man," Bryson chuckled as he took a drink of his water. "You were the dream guy for most of this damn school, and now they have to resort to thinking about Mike of all fucking people."

The table sans Mike burst out in laughter, but the receiver quickly halted it because he wanted to change the subject.

"So what's the plan for Wednesday?"

"I mean if Tussey's getting throttled by Hyndman, I'm sure we can drink the day of the game and beat them by three scores," Thomas chuckled.

Sean Joseph shook his head. "Rules are rules. Dad wouldn't go for that even if Tussey was 0-9. I do think we should do something this week though."

"Like?"

"I don't know, something like bowling I guess. Maybe get more of the team involved so it's like a team bonding thing?"

"You just want to bring your girl," Mike said with a smirk.

"I plead the fifth," Sean Joseph answered, bringing forth some chuckles among the table. "But seriously, do you guys like that idea?"

Bryson was the first to answer. "I'm cool with it. It means I get to kick all your asses in something!"

"For once," John chuckled. "But yeah, sounds good to me."

The other two nodded in agreement as the quarterback's phone rang. Sean Joseph sighed and stepped away from the table, knowing he'd have to listen to yet another cliche recruiting pitch for the next 15 minutes.

"...yeah Coach Wilson, I've gotten your letters. Yes, I could see myself playing there. No, I'm nowhere close to a decision."

Sean Joseph rolled his eyes at the same round of questions from the coach, but his focus quickly shifted to the brown-eyed beauty walking in his direction. Christina stood there amused as she watched her boyfriend impatiently deal with the recruiter on the other line.

"...yes Coach Wilson, I'll make sure to inform you when I decide on what schools I'm visiting. Okay, I'll talk to you later. Good luck this week against Ohio State."

"That didn't sound like it went well," Christina assumed with a soft smile, but the quarterback shook her off.

"Coach Wilson's a good guy and all, I'm just tired of hearing the same questions and such," Sean Joseph sighed. "It's like every pitch is literally the same."

"Where's he from again?"

"Northwestern, so out near Chicago."

Christina nodded as the two started to walk down the hall. "I visited Chicago once with my father, but that was back when I was four."

"It's actually one of the few cities I've haven't been to," Sean Joseph said. "Dad only played the Bears a few times and the only times I was able to go were when they played in Nashville."

"I'm assuming the Bears are Chicago's pro team?" the light-skinned beauty asked, looking up at the quarterback with a sheepish smile. Sean Joseph rolled his eyes sarcastically, drawing a playful push from Christina. "Stop that, I'm learning!"

The quarterback chuckled, then remembered what he wanted to ask her. "Do you work on Wednesday?"

Christina shook her head and smirked. "Where were you planning on taking me? I'd hope you remember you wallet this time."

"You'll never let me live that down," Sean Joseph sighed. "I hope you're a better bowler than you are mini-golfer!"

"I've never gone actually, so probably not. Will it just be us?"

"Nah, Mike and the team will be there as well. Is that okay?"

"That's fine," Christina nodded. "You didn't really let me get to know your friends last weekend anyways!"

Sean Joseph chuckled. "Already trying to compare me?"

"We'll see," the brown-eyed girl giggled before leaning up to give the quarterback a kiss.

"Shit!"

Sean Joseph watched in frustration as his bowling ball strayed off too far to the left, hearing the snickers of his friends behind him.

"ESPN should take away a star for how pathetic you are at bowling," Mike laughed, pointing to the scoresheet projected on the monitor above them. "Even your girl cracked triple digits!"

The quarterback just smiled and wrapped his arm around Christina. "Don't you know you're supposed to let the girl win. Might be a reason why you're single, Mike."

Mike opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by the brown-eyed beauty. "Wait, I thought I was supposed to let you win?"

The group burst out in a loud roar of laughter, causing some of the other groups to look over their way.

"She's a keeper," Bryson said in between chuckles. Sean Joseph brushed off the teasing and gripped a smiling Christina tighter, happy that she was making a good impression his friends.

That happiness would be short-lived however, after catching a better glimpse of who was walking in his direction.

"Can't believe I've been back in Everett for three years now and didn't know about this place having a weekly wing night."

Ethan's offensive coordinator and best friend shook his head and took a sip of his beer. "You never really asked."

"I shouldn't have to," the head coach scoffed, lightheartedly pointing a finger at the three people sitting with him.

"Well let's make this a weekly thing when we beat Tussey on Friday," Brad suggested, raising his glass towards Hall of Fame receiver. Ethan nodded in agreement and toasted to his friend's suggestion, while the two girls just shook their heads.

"You two really haven't changed since high school," BreAnn giggled. "Always talking about sports and creating new 'traditions' on the fly. It's like we haven't graduated!"

"You know one Tussey tradition I haven't missed?" Ethan said to the group. "All the vandalism bullshit leading up to the game. I think there's still a blue spot of paint on my old truck from Swope that I could never get out."

Brad chuckled, remembering everything about their match-up with Tussey Mountain 19 years ago. "At least none of that has happened lately. Guess us administrators put an end to that."

"Don't think so highly of yourself," Brad's wife Brittany teased, bringing forth laughter from the whole table.

Just like the head coach's relationship with Bre, Brad rekindled things with Brittany after returning to Everett. The two married just two years after the former quarterback ended his NFL career and have held strong since. Ethan was jealous of what they had and secretly wished for a similar outcome with his old flame, but between his coaching search and her efforts to become the next principal, their future admittedly didn't look quite as bright.

Ethan's swirling whirlwind of thoughts was quickly interrupted after catching a glance of the person walking in his direction.

Sean Joseph had heard the rumors and didn't want to believe them at first, but wasn't surprised when they were confirmed right in front of him. What the quarterback was surprised with, however, was the unmistakable shade of orange radiating from the blonde's body.

"Look who we have here," Mike snickered, eyeing up Tussey quarterback Marco Higgins and his nervous, yet familiar eye candy. "Shame Friday's game doesn't mean anything for y'all, I would have liked a nice tune-up before the ICC title game."

"I remember when we were bad enough to lose to Hyndman," John added, giving his teammate a fistbump.

Marco snarled at the jabs before countering with one of his own. "Do you also remember the last time you guys beat us two times in a row?"

His favorite receiver Deonte Sledge laughed. "What has been it been, Marco? 40 years since that's happened?"

Sean Joseph stood in the back with Christina by his side, watching the whole situation unfold in front of him. Marco was cut from the same mold as most Tussey Mountain quarterbacks; he was a bigger guy whose brash demeanor stretched beyond the football field. However, as much as Marco was confident in his own abilities, those talents didn't compare to his predecessor's - which is partly why his counterpart didn't feel threatened.

Although he had a beautiful girl at his waist, Sean Joseph couldn't help but think about Haley and how he never understood why the blonde was drawn to guys like Marco and Ryan Henderson. The Everett signal-caller didn't carry himself like his rivals and he thought that he treated the Titan cheerleader well during his time with her. Why she would go back to same kind of carbon-copy made no sense to him.

It also didn't make sense why the blonde was wearing a Tennessee sweatshirt. Did Marco make her wear it in an attempt to throw Sean Joseph's psyche off?

"You okay?" Christina asked, snapping Sean Joseph back into reality.

The quarterback watched as Marco, Haley, and Deonte walked away. "What? Oh yeah, I'm fine."

The light-skinned goddess couldn't help but giggle. "Are all you football guys like that with your opponents?"

"Not all of them," Sean Joseph replied, quickly glancing once more at his past walking away from him. "There's just a common dislike between us and Tussey. A lot of history there."

"Is that Ethan Woy I see over there?"

Ethan sighed, giving the man a wave as he reached their table.

"Well I'd be damned, it is you! Surprised you're not back home watching film for Friday."

"I could say the same thing about you Coach Leonard," the Everett coach chuckled, holding his hand out for the Tussey head man to shake. He caught a whiff of alcohol on his breath, which explained the overly enthusiastic greeting.

But Daniel Leonard ignored the handshake. "I don't need to. We both know you can't beat Tussey twice in a row."

Ethan and Brad both raised a brow at their opponent's confidence; though, part of it was undoubtedly because of how much he had been drinking.

"I look forward to this game every year," the Titans head coach continued, taking another big gulp out of his mug. "Moreso than Northern Bedford. Moreso than Bellwood."

"I'm honored that you feel that way, I'm sure my boys feel the same..."

Coach Leonard interrupted Ethan before he could finish. "But it ain't about some rivalry that goes back before we were born. This is strictly about beating you."

Once again Ethan raised his brow, but didn't say anything.

"For 10 years, I've ran this conference. And until this season, my teams have been winning games in Districts and making runs in State. I've sent players to D1 programs all over the nation. Tussey has become the premier football program in south-central Pennsylvania under my watch, yet I can't get even a sniff of interest from college."

The Everett head coach still kept quiet, but started to put the pieces of the puzzle together in his mind.

"And then when I hear that you have a D1 school interested in you - not as a position coach or coordinator - but as a head fucking coach, that just makes me sick. Everett's undefeated record isn't all that impressive considering the talent y'all have. Your wife over here probably would have the same record if she was in charge."

That comment brought forth a nervous glance from Bre and an awkward chuckle from Ethan. Not because Coach Leonard was getting under the Everett head man's skin, but because of the "wife" label he mistakenly given the blonde teacher.

"You haven't proved anything yet. Sure, you and your quarterback over here proved my cousin wrong 19 years ago, but this coaching thing is a whole 'nother animal. It takes a lot of time to get to the top, and I don't think you've served enough yet."

Ethan held back a chuckle, realizing that the Tussey head man's grudge was fueled by a silly scuffle with his cousin Chris during the rivalry game in 2008. Who would have thought?

"So do you have anything you have to say?"

A younger Ethan would give Coach Leonard the bulletin board material he was begging for, but at 36 years of age, the best the Warriors head man could do was give an amused smirk.

"Good luck on Friday, Coach."

Realizing he failed at getting under Ethan's skin, the Tussey head coach huffed and threw his now-empty mug against the wall, storming out as it shattered to the floor.

As the four watched a busboy start to clean up the broken glass, Bre turned to Ethan.

"What was that about?"

"Nothing important. Just a lot of history there, that's all."

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Levels

"Can you believe it, dude?"

Sean Joseph looked at Mike as he put on his patented Under Armour full sleeve on his non-throwing arm. "What's that?"

"That this is our last regular season game as high schoolers," the receiver said. "Yeah, we have the ICC title game and at least Districts after this, but damn man, this is it. We're almost done."

The quarterback chuckled at his friend's dramatics. "Yeah, it's pretty crazy - seems like just yesterday I moved up here and met you all. I was pretty hesitant about leaving Davidson at first, but now I wouldn't trade any of this for the world."

"Even your scuffle with Bryan?" Mike asked, smirking as he remembered Sean Joseph's lack of self-control with their former teammate's girlfriend.

"That wasn't exactly my brightest decision," Sean Joseph admitted, chuckling once more.

The receiver shook his head. "It's funny though, because I bitched at you for how long about your status and settling down? And it turns out you were more of a manwhore back then compared to now."

Sean Joseph burst out laughing, amused that Mike would use the term 'manwhore' to describe his fling with Allison from sophomore year.

After he finished getting dressed for pre-game warm-ups, Sean Joseph took a moment to think about what Mike said. His career in an Everett uniform was rapidly coming to a close, and soon after he would be faced with a decision that he didn't envision himself making again. As little as three and as many as eight games stood between now and the final tick of the Sean Joseph's high school athletic days. There was no winter or spring sport for the blue-chip prospect; once the final clock struck triple zeroes, Sean Joseph would determine his finalists, make official visits, make a decision on one of them, and start preparing for his next three or four years at the lucky school.

Ethan was frustrated. Not because of Coach Leonard's rant on Wednesday, nor was it because of his team's poor practice yesterday.

Nope, his frustration was brought forth by the three coaches insisting to speak to his son minutes before pre-game.

"I really thank you for making this happen, Ethan," Syracuse offensive coordinator Allen Mayne said as the four walked towards the visitor's locker room. "I promise it won't take long."

"It better not," Ethan muttered under his breath, scurrying into the locker room to find his son.

Minutes later the two Woys reappeared - the younger of which with his helmet in tow.

"Sean Joseph!" Allen greeted the quarterback with a handshake. "Glad you could take a minute to meet with me."

Men in UCLA and Northwestern jackets stood beside Allen, looking at their prize recruiting target in anticipation. Before the Syracuse offensive coordinator could continue, the Bruins quarterbacks coach Zac Logan spoke up.

"Don't want to keep ya long, Sean Joseph. Just wanted to know if you thought about a visit to UCLA yet. We'd love to have you in whenever you can."

"Likewise!" Northwestern offensive coordinator Dalton Michaels quipped. "Bet you haven't been to Chicago much since your father here played in the AFC. You'd love it out there, kid."

A frustrated Allen finally butted his way back into the conversation. "We wanted to schedule an official soon, Sean Joseph. I'm sure you've seen our top three class coming in, just waiting for that last scholarship to be filled by you."

Sean Joseph nodded and put on his helmet. "Are we done here?"

The three glanced at each other nervously before giving their blue-chip target the same response.

"I'll give you all a call next week."

Sean Joseph jogged off, leaving Ethan alone with the three confused colleagues. The Everett head man gave a slight wave and started walking to the field, bursting into laughter by the time he was out of eyesight.

"...Craig Francis, son of Denny and Marlene Francis, will be attending Frostburg State University in the fall to study forestry."

John sighed, drained by the generic Senior Night walkthroughs. Counting his own, this was the third straight week he took in the ceremony, and each one dragged on longer than the last.

"Why does your dad make us stay out for these?" the tailback asked Sean Joseph. "I could have gotten a pre-game nap in!"

"Some 'respect your opponent' bullshit," the quarterback responded with a shrug. "I don't really get it either."

"...quarterback Marco Higgins, son of Phillip and Maria Higgins, will be attending Temple University on a football scholarship and will study communications."

Sean Joseph huffed under his breath. His father might have preached to respect the opponent, but he couldn't do that for his counterpart. It wasn't because of Marco's relationship with Haley; he just didn't feel threatened by the Titans signal-caller, unlike his predecessor at the position.

"Jerome Jones is back to receive the kickoff and we're underway from Saxton, Pennsylvania! The freshman from California catches the ball near the goal line and starts upfield. He gains a key block and has the sideline! He's to the 50, 40, the 30...and he's finally brought down at the Titan 21-yard-line!"

"Well that's a hell of a start," Sean Joseph said to Mike, giving his best friend a fistbump as they jogged out for his first drive of the game.

"Can't believe you let them catch you, frosh!" Mike yelled out as his path crossed with the rookie dynamo.

Jerome, looking frustrated and a little shocked that he was run down, didn't share the same enthusiasm as his elder teammates. "I'll make up for that."

"Lining up in the shotgun for Everett is senior signal-caller Sean Joseph Woy. What can't we say about this guy? The nation's top quarterback has thrown for a shade under 2,300 yards and ran nearly 900 more through the first eight games of his final campaign, and has been responsible for a total of 39 touchdowns."

"Not only is Woy looking to give the Warriors their first undefeated regular season since 2008, but he also has the opportunity to become the first quarterback in school history with a winning record against their hated rival Tussey Mountain."

"Woy takes the snap and hands it off to John Watson...scratch that, it's a fake! Woy has room off the right side and is in for a touch- no, he'll be held a few inches short. It'll be first and goal for Everett from the three-inch-line!"

After two stops at the goal line, Sean Joseph bullied his way into the end zone for the first points of the game. The quarterback received his customary pats on the back as he reached the sidelines, but instead of taking a seat on the bench, he kept his eyes on the field where Marco was looking to match him score-for-score.

"And here's Marco Higgins, the Titans' senior quarterback. He took over last season after now-Arizona QB Ryan Henderson graduated, and although he's been almost as productive as the Pac-14 signal-caller, he comes into tonight's contest oh-for-three against Tussey Mountain's biggest rivals, Everett and Northern Bedford."

"I'm sure he's just as disappointed as anyone with Tussey's elimination from the District 5 playoffs last week, but he has a great chance of ending his career on a high note tonight."

"Higgins takes the snap and goes into his drop. He fires it to Deonte Sledge on the left side, but it goes over the junior's head! A little too much juice on that one, I'd say."

"He looks amped for this one, Lance. A little too amped."

Marco would probably agree with Matt's sentiments if he had heard them. He gritted his teeth after the overthrow and cursed at himself to settle down.

A.J. Price could only gain one yard on the next play, but Marco rebounded with a first down pass to Miguel Turner. The Titans offense started to roll after the chains moved with the quarterback mixing run and pass for two more first downs.

"Higgins has Tussey on the move now with two first downs in the last four plays. This one's another pass as the senior gets the ball out of shotgun. Everett sends a blitz and Higgins is rocked as he throws...the ball falls harmlessly to the ground but there's a flag on the play."

"Personal foul, number 20 of the defense!"

"Get used to that spot, bitch," Everett senior safety Laurence Kemp spat, smirking as he jogged back to the defensive huddle.

Marco slowly stood back up with the help of Deonte, and looked over to his sideline for the next play. The Titans signal-caller wondered if the late hit was an attempt to throw off his psyche; Kemp surely could have held up without a problem.

"It's going to take a lot more than that to bring me down," Marco grumbled to himself before entering the huddle.

"Seven all midway through the first quarter, but the Warriors are back in Tussey Mountain territory. Third and 11 for Woy as he collects the snap...he looks left, raises his arm to throw, but tucks it back in as the rush reaches him! Everett cracks first and will be forced to punt."

The defenses tightened up after the sack as both teams traded scoreless possessions late in the first quarter. With less than a minute remaining in the frame, Everett had the ball again, looking to jump ahead.

"...and that'll be incomplete to Kennedy. A bit of an overthrow by Woy, don't you think?"

"Yup, looks like that one just got away from him. Rare mistake by the senior captain."

"Second down and 10 for the Warriors, ball on their own 14-yard-line. Woy takes the snap and drops back. Good pocket for him as he steps up and fires a bullet, which is caught by Thomas Jackson! Jackson turns upfield and is brought down after an 18 yard gain!"

Sean Joseph looked over to the sideline and saw his father waving his arm, telling him to go to their patented fastbreak offense.

"Looks like Woy will go to the hurry-up and get back to the line! Woy gets the snap, goes into his drop, and has someone wide open down the middle of the field! Jerome Jones has it and will walk into the end zone for an Everett touchdown! Woy catches the Titans defense napping and finds his freshman speedster for six!"

The quarterback again received his usual congratulations from the sideline before sitting down on the bench to get some water. As he took a drink, he looked over to see Jerome beside him wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead.

"I don't get you, Jerome," Sean Joseph chuckled as he took a sip of water. "Your parents don't have any athletic background, yet you're three steps faster than everyone else in the state. What's your secret?"

The shy superstar-in-the-making cracked a rare smile. "You PA boys are just slow."

Sean Joseph laughed and held his hands up to say he wouldn't argue with Jerome's statement. The quarterback got up from his seat and started walking towards the coaching staff, but was halted by another comment from the freshman.

"But those boys out there are the slowest."

The two shared laughter as the quarterback saw Jerome point towards the Tussey sidelines. If their youngest player wasn't taking the Titans seriously then no one was, and it would be only a matter of time before the Everett faithful would share the same laughter.

"Tussey calls their last timeout with 20 seconds remaining, but I don't think the greatest of miracles can deny the inevitable. Everett leads 49-39 and has the ball on Titan nine-yard-line, so one kneel down should seal their third straight victory over their bitter rivals."

"Not sure why Coach Leonard is extending the game here. It seems like Coach Woy is a little irritated by the delay."

"You gotta be kidding me!" Ethan huffed, throwing his arms in the air as the whistle blew to signal timeout. "Why is this fuck calling TO?"

The offense huddled around their coach, waiting to hear the command to kneel it one more time. Ethan had other plans, however.

"Those guys over there want to extend the game?" Ethan asked, pulling out his clipboard. "Fine, this is what we're going to do."

"...and coming back from the timeout, it looks like Everett will kneel it once more and finally end this game. Hang on, it's a fake and Kennedy is wide open in the end zone! Touchdown Warriors, would you look at that!? Woy rubs it in Leonard's face with a touchdown pass from his son to Kennedy!"

To everyone's surprise, there was nothing more than cold and bitter handshakes exchanged between the two teams after the clock struck zeroes. The two different entities knew where they stood. On one end, both Ethan and Sean Joseph were practically guaranteed to carry their greatness onto the next level - a 17-point win did nothing to diminish that fact. For Coach Leonard and Marco however, they slowly were coming to grips that their rivals were always gonna be a step better than them, and that it would be wise to completely accept that.

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

EVERETT COMPLETES UNDEFEATED REGULAR SEASON

update30photo_zpsf0512d8c.jpg

Sean Joseph Woy glides past a defender on this run.

[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 14 | 21 | 00 | 21 | 56
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] | 07 | 10 | 07 | 15 | 39

SAXTON -- The annual Everett/Tussey rivalry had a little extra flare to it this year with head coaches Ethan Woy and Daniel Leonard getting into an incident a few days prior at a local bar.​
Marred by personal foul penalties and other late hits that were missed, this chapter to the rivalry looked more like a war than an actual game. However, the Warriors withstood the extra-circulars and won their second straight game over the Titans, 56-39.​
"I honestly do respect their (Tussey Mountain) program," Woy said. "But I can't lie - wins over these guys taste so much sweeter."​
His son Sean Joseph Woy had maybe his best game as a Warrior. The senior threw for 353 yards, ran for 214 more and accounted for seven total touchdowns (three passing, four rushing).​
"Tussey always seems to bring out the best in me," the younger Woy said.​
Woy ran his father's up-tempo offense to perfection - from the first whistle to the last.​
"I plead the fifth on that last touchdown pass," the signal-caller joked.​
What he was referring to was his nine-yard toss to Mike Kennedy with 26 seconds left. The game's result was determined, but Woy put another touchdown on the board after the Titans called their last timeout.​
Everett will host Tyrone in the ICC Championship Game next week, while Tussey Mountain's season ends at 5-4.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 1 yard run (Robby O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - A.J. Price 4 yard run (Melvin Workman kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 68 yard pass to Jerome Jones (O'Connor kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 1 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Workman 31 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 46 yard pass to Jones (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Marco Higgins 1 yard pass to Julian Hawk (Workman kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson 1 yard run (O'Connor kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Price 6 yard run (Workman kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 1 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Higgins 10 yard pass to Terry Tyree (Higgins pass to Deonte Sledge)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 74 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Higgins 1 yard run (Workman kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 9 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (O'Connor kick)

PASSING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 17-24-353-3
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Marco Higgins, 39-63-460-2

RUSHING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy, 24-214-4, John Watson, 13-39-1, Geoffrey Paul, 2-24
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - A.J. Price, 15-76-2, Higgins, 3-5-1

RECEIVING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Jerome Jones, 4-147-2, Thomas Jackson, 4-67, Mike Kennedy, 4-55-1, Rashaud Ernst, 2-40, Bryson Parham, 1-17, Manny Ellison, 1-15, Buster Ramirez, 1-12
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Terry Tyree, 10-148-1, Deonte Sledge, 8-112, Robby Herring, 7-48, Miguel Turner, 6-70, Price, 6-68, Julian Hawk, 2-14-1

SACKS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Bruce Thomas (2), Lavelle Bowman
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - Deonne McGrew (2), Cornelius Carlton

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None
[hl=#000000]TMHS[/hl] - None

Records: Everett (9-0, 8-0), Tussey Mountain (5-4, 4-4)

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Forward

“Sean Joseph! Congrats on the undefeated regular season. We’d love to have you in for a visit soon…”

“Heard about last night, Sean Joseph. I know you have a long playoff run in you, but I’d like to talk about setting up a visit in December…”

“Sean Joseph, hope everything is well. We’re looking to bring you in for an official soon, let me know when would be best…”

Sean Joseph’s voicemail was just another harsh reminder that he had to make a decision on his future soon. He hadn’t given much thought about his next destination once he decommitted from Tennessee, although he didn’t have the time to mull it over since he was in the midst of an undefeated season.

He laid on his bed tossing a football in the air, taking the rare moment of solitude to give college some thought. Did he want to be handed the starting quarterback job on a silver platter or did he want to have to work for it? Did it matter which BCS conference the school resided in or was the Pac-14 that much better than the rest?

Before he could get too in-depth with his own thoughts, he heard his door open and saw his father standing there.

“Thinking about pizza for dinner, sound good to you?”

Sean Joseph nodded, then spoke up as Ethan started to walk out. “Could you sit down, Dad?”

The coach obliged, taking a spot next to his pupil on the bed. “What’s up?”

“This is what’s up,” the quarterback said, pulling out the stack of recruiting letters from his nightstand. “It’s been months since I decommitted and now I have no clue where I want to go or where I even want to visit.”

“Guess we kinda overlooked this with the last two games, eh?” Ethan chuckled, briefly looking through the generic documents. “Do you have any favorites at all?”

“If I had to pick one or two at the moment, Syracuse and Florida State come to mind. Syracuse for obvious reasons, Florida State because I’ve liked what I heard from Coach Campbell.”

“But you aren’t in love with either of those schools.”

Sean Joseph nodded once again. “I could see myself going to either one, but neither has shown enough for me to be comfortable committing there.”

“Sounds like an official visit to both of those schools are in the picture then.”

“But I don’t want to limit myself to just two visits, because what if neither school is a good fit for me?”

“Well, let’s make a list of five schools,” Ethan suggested as he pulled his phone out of his pocket. “Florida State and Syracuse seem to be two of them. Are there three others that come to mind?”

There was a brief moment of silence before Sean Joseph spoke up again. “UCLA and Northwestern.”

“Why those two?”

“Top 10 team in the best conference and the nation’s underrated program. Both coaching staffs have constantly been in my ear and they were obviously out to see me last night.”

Ethan scratched his chin. “Makes sense. You’re still one short, though.”

“Not sure who I’d put there,” Sean Joseph said, shrugging his shoulders. “No one really stands out.”

“How about Tennessee? You obviously know the area and were in love with the idea of going there, so maybe give the new staff a chance to convince to stay on board.”

“Have they even named a favorite yet? They’ve seemed to do a good job of keeping their coaching search under wraps.”

Ethan thought about revealing his secret to Sean Joseph, but his phone ran before he could do just that. The head coach looked at the slightly familiar number and tensed up, excusing himself out of the room as he answered the call.

“You’re not going eat your cherry?”

Christina shook her head and pushed over the little remains of her sundae. “I like how they put it on there even though I asked for them not to.”

“What do you expect?” Sean Joseph chuckled, taking a bite of the imitation fruit. “The place is shaped like a bowl of ice cream and even has the cherry on top.”

The light-skinned beauty held her spoon at the quarterback, fake threatening to flick ice cream on him before eating it herself.

“So did you hear back from NYU yet?” Sean Joseph asked, hoping to hear some good news. A few of his friends were getting their acceptance letters into their respective colleges, only adding to the pressure of choosing one of his own.

“That’s actually why I wanted to come here,” Christina said nervously, shifting her feet under the table before a big grin cracked her emotionless face. “I got in!”

Sean Joseph smiled and leaned over to give Christina a congratulatory kiss. “That’s awesome, I knew you would.”

Her smile dimmed slightly after her lips loosened. “Yeah, it’s nice to know that I could have went there.”

“Still not budging on scholarship money I’m guessing?”

“Nope,” Christina sighed, then flashed a slight smirk. “At least I’m in at Allegany, so I’m not completely a loser.”

The quarterback weakly chuckled before finishing off his ice cream. Christina’s disappointment tore him up inside because he knew that she had the talent to do great things at her dream school. Meanwhile here he was, able to get into any university of his choosing just because of his athletic ability. He got good grades and all, but schools’ admissions staffs didn’t care if he had a 2.0 or if he had a 4.0 grade point average – the fact that he was really good at a flagship sport practically ensured his acceptance. And as much as he knew that benefited him, he also knew damn well that wasn’t fair.

“…I’ll get you your funding for new equipment, just be patient. No Coach Stone, I don’t know the exact date yet. Ha-hang on Coach, I have a call on the other line here.”

Matthew Wilson slammed the phone down, deeply sighing before reaching for another glass of bourbon. Things haven’t gotten any easier since he fired Nick Ray three weeks ago. The Volunteers still looked hapless on the field – their 41-point loss to Alabama a week ago was their third straight defeat of more than 24 points – and the financial numbers coming in were getting smaller and smaller. Wilson was already working with a smaller budget than what he started with, but because of the consistent lack of success their money was starting to get so scarce that the non-revenue programs weren’t getting their necessary help.

He needed to hit a homerun with this new hire. His job was certainly on the line as was the stability of athletic department. Thankfully the basketball program was making the tournament year in and year out to help funding, but some of his new investments such as men’s lacrosse would have to be chalked up as failed experiments if the football team continued to struggle.

Matthew had been in constant contact with his top candidate and seemed likely to hire him once the season ended. The potential hire would be a huge risk, but with these kind of circumstances, there was no way they could bring in a retread. The fanbase needed rejuvenated, the boosters needed convinced, and the talent coming in needed developed. Although Ethan Woy had never coached collegiate football in his life, he fit the bill based on his status in the state.

But the red flags were there with his NCAA case pending. Ethan assured him that nothing was going to come from it, but Matthew wasn’t as sure. Could he risk hiring a coach patched with a scarlet letter, or did he have to sacrifice the potential reward to nab a clean-cut guy?

His phone rang for the umpteenth time that night, its echo seeming to fill the dark office. Matthew took another sip of his bourbon before answering, hoping that he’d receive a glimmer of good news after this nightmare of an October.

“Show-cause.”

“Fuck.”

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Wasn't sure that guys who have never coached college before could receive a show-cause, but obviously SJ's dad is out of the running now. I don't think Tennessee is out of the picture, though.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
I don't think they can, but I figured that I have a little bit of leeway on that front since this is set in the future.

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
espnheader_zpse99ecc35.jpg

Show-cause penalty handed out to high school coach
- Travis Woods, ESPN College Football Writer

ethanwoyphoto1_zpsb986d3fe.jpg

Two-time Heisman winner Ethan Woy was penalized by the NCAA for his role as a Syracuse booster.

The NCAA announced penalties against former Syracuse wide receiver and current Everett (Pa.) High School head coach Ethan Woy today.​
Woy was given a two-year show-cause penalty after he admitted to providing illegal benefits to incoming Syracuse recruits between 2016 and 2017. This sanction allows for the NCAA to punish a college or university that hires him through the two-year timeframe.​
What’s unique about this case is that Woy currently does not coach college football, nor has he ever. Last month however, it was reported that the two-time Heisman winner was intrigued by moving into the collegiate ranks of coaching. According to a source, there was some reciprocated interest with one school.​
Only once has a school hired a coach under a show-cause penalty. In 2013, the University of Akron hired Jim Tressel two years into his sanctions. The NCAA stripped Tressel and the Zips of 30 scholarships over three years and placed a two-year bowl ban on the program. Tressel was fired two years later, and Akron now competes in the Missouri Valley Conference of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).​
Because the investigation committee could not prove that Woy was acting on behalf of Syracuse, the Orange were only given a year of probation.​
It has not been reported what the actual penalties would be if a program were to hire Woy.​
Woy was not available for comment at press time.​

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Drowning in Dreams

“Did you guys see the forecast for Saturday?” Bryson asked as the familiar five seniors sat around the lunch table. “Looks like we’re gonna get some snow.”

“Two snow games in one season?” Mike scoffed, throwing his hands up in the air. “C’mon Mother Nature.”

“Means more carries for me, so I don’t know what you guys are complaining about,” John chuckled, drawing laughter from Sean Joseph and Thomas.

The laughter subdued when the Thomas brought up the news that no one really wanted to address.

“He’s definitely struggling,” Sean Joseph answered. “Almost kills his chances at coaching in college. Can’t believe the NCAA did that to him.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone getting penalized by the NCAA when they’re coaching high school,” Bryson added. “Doesn’t seem very fair.”

“Was there an opportunity out there?”

“According to the media there was,” Sean Joseph nodded. “I didn’t know who, though. We didn’t really discuss it much. Kind of let him do his own thing in that regard.”

Ethan was trying his best to create a gameplan for Saturday night, but his mind clearly wasn’t in it.

Every game from here on out was the most important in his coaching career, but that career wasn’t going anywhere now with the sanctions against him. He felt distraught and discouraged after having one of his dreams crushed before he even had a chance. Ethan knew that he had to pull himself together and re-shift his focus, because the young men that he currently had the opportunity to coach were in the midst of a very special season.

“Ethan? You in here?”

A familiar voice briefly snapped him out of his funk. “In the living room!”

Bre walked in with two grocery bags, setting them on the coffee table before leaning over to give her boyfriend a kiss. “You’re going to go gray before 40 if you keep beating yourself up like this.”

The blonde math teacher chuckled, hoping to get one in return. However, that didn’t come about as Ethan deeply sighed while continuing to look through his scouting reports.

“Can I ask you something?”

Ethan looked up, nodding as he directed his attention on Bre.

“I understand your ambitions and goals,” she began, trying to tiptoe towards what was bothering her about this whole situation. “You’re one of the most goal-oriented people I know and always live up to the enormous expectations you give yourself.”

The head coach nodded once more, not sure where Bre was taking this.

“And I know that you’re looking forward to coaching in college. But why now? Why the rush?”

That brought forth a chuckle from Ethan, although not necessarily in the tone Bre was hoping, which she noticed right away.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up.”

“No we should talk about this,” Ethan suggested. “This is what couples do, right? Talk through our problems? When’s the last time we’ve argued about something?”

Bre giggled nervously, shuffling her feet because she wasn’t sure how this would go. “High school probably.”

“Exactly, we were due. So let’s talk,” Ethan said, pushing his papers aside to give her his full attention. “Tell me how you really feel about me wanting to coach collegiately. I’m a big boy Bre, I can handle it.”

She sighed. “I just don’t know why you’re in such a rush to do this. You’re 36. These kind of opportunities will be out there for a while.”

“I came back wanting a fresh start and a chance to coach Sean Joseph. With him graduating and our success this season, I feel it’s a good time to start exploring my options.”

Sean Joseph turned on the lights in the backyard, illuminating the area enough so that he could get a little bit of post-practice work in. He gripped the football and positioned his hand on the laces, simulating his drop-back before unleashing a throw 10 yards away.

“You turn your pads in today?”

Brandon nodded as he caught the pass. “Yup. I wish we had playoffs like you guys. I’m not ready for the season to end!”

Sean Joseph chuckled, one-handing the lefty’s return throw. “At least you have the extra weeks to prepare for baseball. Have the coaches clocked you lately?”

“I hit 75 last week!” Brandon smirked. “Coach said he doesn’t think the junior varsity team has someone who throws that hard, so I should be able to pitch right away when I’m a freshman.”

“And what about Brandon? You don’t want to stick around and coach him?”

“Of course I would. I also would like for him to not face the enormous pressure that Sean Joseph and I are currently facing with the town. Sean Joseph has already been dealing with ridiculous expectations that I put upon him during my high school days. If we don’t win State, then everyone will bombard us with ‘well, Sean Joseph wasn’t his father’ and ‘Ethan surely isn’t as good of a coach as he was a player.’ It’s unfair criticism and it’s something I want Brandon to avoid.”

“Do you know where you’re going to college yet?”

Sean Joseph shook his head as he began his drop-back again. “I have a few schools in mind, but nothing picked out yet. Why do you ask?”

“I’m just wondering. I saw Ricky Taylor picked Syracuse last week and ESPNU said you were the only quarterback in the Elite 11 to not pick a school yet.”

“Save the best for last, right?” Sean Joseph chuckled, which brought forth a roll of the eyes from Brandon.

“As long as you pick a good college! I want to be able to wear all the hoodies and shirts you send back, and I can’t do that if your team stinks!”

“…it also seems like you’re rushing to leave Everett again.”

Ethan raised his brow. “What do you mean, ‘again’?”

“I felt like you’ve always been trying to get out of here as soon as you could. You left the state for college when you grew up a fan of Penn State, and now you’re looking to leave for – quote unquote – greener pastures. If you want to coach in college, then what’s wrong with Allegany College right down the street?”

The coach chuckled at the suggestion of lowering himself to a new Division III program. “Not to sound cocky or anything, but you and I both know I’m bigger than this town and that my dreams and ambitions have far surpassed what Everett could provide. Granted, it’s grown tremendously since we graduated nearly 20 years ago, but it’s still not where I want to spend the rest of my life.”

“What about Christina? Is she going to go to the same college as you?”

“It looks like she’s going to Allegany,” Sean Joseph responded with a shrug. “She really wants to go to New York University though, and even got accepted there, but it’s just far too much money without some sort of help.”

“That sucks,” Brandon said as he tossed the ball back. “It would be cool if she could get a scholarship from her singing. She’s pretty good at it.”

Sean Joseph nodded his head in response as he went into his drop-back once more, trying to find a balance between his focus on Saturday night and his future.

The discussion between Ethan and Bre remained calm, although both parties could feel some tension mounting.

“What about my goals, Ethan?” she asked. “I’ve told you how much I wanted to become a principal and that opportunity might finally be here. Am I supposed to give that up to follow you?”

“I’m sure that Everett won’t provide the only opportunity on that front,” Ethan responded. “Your resume speaks for itself, dear. You could be bigger than this town too.”

“What if I don’t want to be?”

Ethan sighed. “I don’t know if that you don’t want to be, I think that it’s you’re afraid to be.”

The conversation quickly died off after Ethan’s last remark as Bre went into the kitchen to cook dinner. She wanted to see if she could push him towards remaining in Everett, but his answers only brought forth more questions.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
I can see this going so many ways, but I'm not confident about any of them -- Ethan getting a break, Ethan remaining humbled and taking a local job, breaking up or strengthening his relationship. And his son's path will remain heavily influenced by his own.

One of your past weaknesses as a writer was that your plot lines were fairly predictable and telegraphed, but I think you're brewing something good and unique here.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Back in the Game

“You gotta hit the hole harder, John! Harrell’s going to be at your throat on Saturday night if you’re that slow taking the handoff.”

Ethan shook his head and signaled to run the play again, disgusted that his boys were so lackadaisical this afternoon. Even though Saturday’s conference title bout with Tyrone didn’t mean much in regards to their district and state championship dreams, an ICC championship and a second win over a very talented Golden Eagle team should have been enough of a motivating factor for this week. They needed to be crisp and on point with all of their plays and drills in order to win on Saturday, but that was hard to do between the recruiting hoopla and his own distractions.

He decided to give the team a water break after they ran the previous play with slightly more efficiency. As Ethan reached down to grab the water bottle at his feet, Brad walked over from his spot on the other side of the field.

“Not sure if we’ve had this bad of a practice all year.”

“Yeah, I’m not sure why we’re so off today,” Ethan shrugged as he took a sip of water.

The offensive coordinator sighed. “I think I know why.”

“You do?”

Brad nodded. “Yup, and it all starts with you.”

Ethan was taken aback by his friend’s bluntness. “How so?”

The former signal-caller sighed once more, a little embarrassed that his friend hadn’t figured out the problem yet. “Listen, I understand your disappointment about the show-cause – I’m bummed out for you too. But you need to put your self-pity aside and stop dwelling on that. Your attitude is infectious, which is great thing to have in your position. However, it can also be a curse on days like today, when the men you’re supposed to be leading see you moping around.”

Ethan nodded as to tell Brad that he understood. “Can you handle the boys for 15 minutes?”

“Yeah, but I don’t know what you’re…”

The offensive coordinator’s sentence was cut off as his superior took off towards the locker room.

“C’mon Duane, you can’t be lazy with your footwork! This isn’t a Fulton County team we’re playing on Saturday!”

The offensive tackle nodded and returned to the huddle, apologizing to Sean Joseph for allowing Lavelle to come through. The quarterback called the next play and lined everyone up, but his tailback interrupted him before he could snap the ball.

“Who’s that walking down?” John asked as he pointed towards the pathway.

Everyone’s head turned to see someone walking down towards the practice field, suited up in full helmet and pads. The players were confused as to who the mysterious player was, but the offensive coordinator burst into laughter immediately.

“You’ve gotta be fucking kidding me.”

Confused chuckles from the players started to mix in with Brad’s laughter once the new player was in eyesight.

“Change of plans, boys,” Ethan said as he ran his fingers through his hair. “Go get some water and then set up the Oklahoma drill.”

His team obliged as they jogged over to the sidelines. Brad shook his head as Ethan adjusted his pads, unsure of what the point of this was.

“So, do you mind explaining to me what this is about?”

The head coach chuckled as he put on his helmet. “Just wanted to try something and have some fun. I think we all need a stress reliever, wouldn’t you agree?”

Brad shook his head once more as Ethan started to address the team kneeling around him.

“By now you’re probably all tired of the whole ‘Saturday’s a big game’ spiel,” the head coach began as he tossed a football up in the air. “So we’re going to get away from that for the last half hour of practice.”

Ethan flipped the ball over to sophomore center Trevor Ewing as he walked over to where the pads were set up. “I need you, Sean Joseph, Lavelle, and Wendell out here.”

The four players slowly made their way over to the drill area, where they awaited their next command.

“I bet there have been times where you guys wanted to lay a big hit on me. Well, here’s your chance. Basic Oklahoma drill – Trevor snaps it to Sean Joseph, who hands it to me. Lavelle tries to get past Trevor and Wendell’s there to clean up the mess.”

Wendell smirked. “You sure you want to do this old man?”

Laughter ensued but Ethan brushed it off. “I’m only 36, Schultz. RG3 won MVP last year and he’s only a year older than me.”

Sean Joseph chuckled before taking his spot under center. “Red 15, red 15, hike!”

Son took the snap and handed off to his father; something both parties never would have imagined to happen. Ethan gained a good block from Trevor on Lavelle, leaving the coach one-on-one with the senior linebacker. The coach dug his right cleat into the ground and leaned that way, hoping that Wendell would follow. Once he correctly predicted his player’s move, he slid his feet back to the left and threw his right arm out as a barrier, leaving the linebacker in the dust and his players in awe.

“Still old?” Ethan snapped at Wendell, drawing cackles from everyone but the linebacker.

The same guys lined up for another round. Sean Joseph went into his cadence and stuck the ball in his father’s chest, and Ethan again found himself one-on-one with his senior defensive captain. This go-around provided a different result however, as Wendell stuck his coach with a clean hit that drew some “oohs” and “aahs” from those around them.

“Yup, still old!” the linebacker quipped as he pulled Ethan up from the turf.

Chatter filled the air as players shuffled in and out through the drill. The vibe was noticeably much more upbeat than before – which was the goal of this experiment – but Ethan wasn’t ready to blow the whistle on practice just yet.

“Alright, now we’re going to do some receiver / defensive back drills,” the head coach stated, tossing the football to his friend. “We’re not limiting this to just receivers and DBs, though. Runningbacks and linebackers together, offensive and defensive linemen – quarterbacks, join in with the receivers and DBs. Brad, think you can throw a few or are you too old?”

Brad shook his head before starting the drill. Everyone got some run over the next 10 minutes – with the offensive/defensive linemen matchups being the most entertaining – but the most intriguing bout came to fruition at the end.

“Take it easy on me, bud,” Ethan joked as he lined up at defensive back. “I haven’t played defense since freshman year of high school.”

Sean Joseph laughed as he took his spot opposite of his father. “We’ll just see about that.”

“Green 33, green 33, hike!”

Brad simulated a five-step drop as Sean Joseph took off towards the yard marker eight yards ahead of him. Ethan read the out route and jumped the first move, but his son popped his hip and turned upfield for an easy catch.

“You need to take it easy on me too!” Ethan yelled back at his best friend as he lined up across from Sean Joseph again.

Brad took another five-step drop as the head coach fell back into coverage. Sean Joseph planted his right foot 10 yards downfield and broke off to the endzone pylon, but Ethan was there to knock the pass down.

“C’mon son, that was telegraphed!” the teacher teased the pupil as they jogged back to the line. “Didn’t I teach you anything about route-running?”

There was no response from Sean Joseph as returned to his stance. Ethan moved up to press the quarterback, leaving him to change his original route.

“Blue 22, blue 22, hike!”

Sean Joseph beat Ethan off the line and started fading up the sideline. There was a few steps difference between the two Woys, but Brad’s throw was short and heading for an easy interception. Ethan leapt up to snag the errant pass, but Sean Joseph reached over him to pluck it before he could get his hands on the ball.

The head coach took off his helmet and shook his head before calling it a day. “Good practice gentlemen! We’ll get back to our regular routine tomorrow.”

Sean Joseph came up running behind Ethan and wrapped his arm around the exhausted coach. “Not too bad, Dad. Bet you would have snagged that pass five years ago, eh?”

“You bet your ass I would have,” the head coach chuckled. “Think I did the right thing today?”

Sean Joseph nodded. “Definitely. We were all pressing and needed something to get our minds off of Saturday. That was probably the most fun I’ve had at practice ever.”

Ethan smiled and pushed his son away to meet with today’s visiting college scout. He knew that his dilemma would eventually come back to the forefront, but for this October afternoon he was more than satisfied with his job as a high school head football coach.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
A fun update. Brings me back to my days in high school reading the Catching Controversy story (how was that already five years ago?). Good stuff.