woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Section II: The Prequel
The Next Chapter

It was a brisk August afternoon in Ohio with just a few clouds scattered in the sky. The sun beamed down on the filled-to-capacity stadium, where a security guard and a teenager sat behind a stage curtain, waiting for the speech to end.

"Not sure how often you get this," the guard spoke up as he nudged the teenager. "But you're basically a spitting image of your father."

The teenager faked a smile and nodded. "Yeah, that comes up every now and then."

He loved his father and knew his reputation was a big reason why he was coveted by every school in the nation, but he hated to be reminded of him all the time. He was his own person and strived to carve out his own legacy; not live in the shadow of his dad's.

Of course, today wasn't the best day to think about that since this ceremony was all about his accomplishments and accolades. He took a deep sigh and started to shut his eyes, but was interrupted again by the security guard standing beside him.

"So should we expect to see you in a Syracuse uniform around this time next year?"

The teenager looked up at the guard and shrugged his shoulders. "Not sure yet. I'm no where close to be making a decision."

That was a lie however; he made that decision just last month. He just chose not to reveal it at the moment because of the uncertainty surrounding that program's future.

"I think it'd be pretty awesome if you did," the guard said. "Following in your father's footsteps, ya know?"

The teenager opened his mouth to say something, but stopped when he heard the applause coming from the other side of the curtain. He gave one last nod to the security guard then waited as the man outside walked past him with a tear in his eye.

"Could've made your speech shorter Vince," he muttered under his breath before walking out to nearly 25,000 flashbulbs.

"Now to introduce our final member of the NFL Hall of Fame class of 2027, please welcome Sean Joseph Woy."

Most teenagers would be nervous in this situation, but Sean Joseph thought public speaking was just as easy as directing his father's no-huddle attack. Sure, this would be the biggest crowd he's ever addressed by a large margin, but it was no different than playing for 30,000 on Friday nights.

He calmly stepped to the podium, gave a slight wave and waited for the applause to die down before starting his speech.

"My father has accomplished so much over his playing career. Eight Pro Bowls, three Offensive Player of the Year awards, an MVP and a Super Bowl MVP - those all speak for themselves. They need no explanation. For me, the biggest accomplishment in my father's life was raising me at just 19 years old. Between football, basketball, the workload of classes at Syracuse, and his marriage with Melyss--my mother; I don't know where he found time to breathe. I'm two years away from that age and couldn't imagine juggling all of that - heck, I have trouble balancing my classes in high school right now."

Laughter from the crowd briefly halted the speech for a few seconds, but Sean Joseph went right back into it once it ceased.

"Just kidding, Dad. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that although there was the necessary four-year wait to enter Canton, he was already a Hall of Famer in my mind for everything he did as a father, and not as a wide receiver. He's the strongest guy I know and deserves this moment more than anyone else. Ladies and gentlemen, the greatest father a guy can ask for and the greatest receiver in football history, Ethan Woy!"

Every word rang true of Sean Joseph's introduction speech, despite him wanting to get out of his father's shadow. Ethan was the only guy he'd ever look up to, and knew he had been through so much in his 36 years of living that he wouldn't ever be able to compare.

Unlike his son, Ethan was nervous when he stepped to the podium. The countless last-second heroics and the numerous award speeches didn't prepare him for this moment. And to top it off, the 10-minute standing ovation he was given wasn't calming his nerves.

"Wow. This is truly incredible. I don't really don't know where to begin."

He stepped back and composed himself as the ovation started once again. Chants of "Spiderman" rang through the crowd, which got the receiver to crack a smile. The chants became louder and louder and the nerves started to fade away as Ethan once again stepped to the podium to restart his speech.

"Thank you. It's truly an honor to be standing in front of all of you today as a member of the NFL Hall of Fame. As cliche as I can in starting this speech, let me say that it's tough to put into words what this means to me. 18 years ago, I arrived on the campus of Syracuse University as a wide-eyed teenager who barely had been outside the state of Pennsylvania. I committed to the Orange because of the challenge ahead of me; from helping them regain their once-elite status in football and to contribute to their historically great basketball program. A national championship and two Heismans later, I accomplished my goals and was then given another challenge; to give the Tennessee Titans the championship they deserved."

"Trips left with Woy on the right alone, here's the snap. Young drops back, looks right...lofts one up in that direction...it's caught! Touchdown Titans! Woy just picked that out of the air and the Titans are now an extra-point away from cutting Atlanta's lead to six!"

Ethan stopped himself and looked back to watch his 45-yard touchdown in Super Bowl LII playing on the big screen. The crowd let out a loud cheer when Vince Young ran in from eight yards to clinch the Titans' first Super Bowl win, even though they just saw the same highlight a few minutes ago during his speech.

"Young from under center, he takes the snap...pumps left, has a little crease open on the right and he'll take it! Touchdown Titans, Superman Vince does it again! Shades of USC/Texas in 2006!"

"By the way, I'm a little disappointed it took this long for the committee to induct Vince, but it's awesome that we could go in together. Love ya man."

Ethan gave his friend - who was now sitting in the front row - a nod of respect, which brought forth more applause from the crowd.

"Two rings later, I again accomplished what I wanted to do. But like my son said, my greatest accomplishment was raising him at a young age and seeing him mold into the man that he is now. As proud as I am of my successes, I want Sean Joseph to surpass all of them. I want him to find the success I found on the field and I want him to avoid the hells I've witnessed over my life. Melyssa would be proud of the man he's become and I wish she could see him now."

Ethan stopped again as a tear started to fall from his eye, but he kept his emotions in check and continued on.

"My favorite part of my life in football wasn't my time at Syracuse or with the Titans - it's happening right now as the head coach for my son's high school team. I only hope that I can help him set out what he wants to accomplish this year before he enrolls in college."

The big screen then showed Sean Joseph sitting in the first row with his father's girlfriend and his little brother Brandon. They all waved as the crowd clapped once again, then the screen went back to Ethan for the end of his speech.

"After he and my youngest Brandon graduate, who knows what's next for me? I've grown to love coaching and I'm still relatively young so maybe I could pursue it as another career. Wherever life does take me from here though, I've been blessed to have a great support system and good health. And that's all I need to feel successful. Thank you all and God bless."

After another long ovation, Ethan's bust was revealed and his family came up on stage to take a few pictures. The brief break from reality was welcomed by the Woys, but two-a-days started tomorrow and the drive from Canton wasn't going to get any shorter.
Author's Note: Your "this won't last" criticism is valid. I'm not going to waste your time stating my case on why this will be different, but I will say that I do feel more comfortable continuing the stories of Ethan and Sean Joseph rather than going outside the family name. I also feel more comfortable writing something set in the future because I have more free reign to shape the story the way I want.

Creative writing has always been a getaway of sorts for me, and I'm excited to get back into it (again).

For first-time followers, the two stories linked below will provide a good backdrop for this tale. I'll probably put together a set of cliff-notes sometime soon, however.

Catching Controversy
Pursuit of Happiness (Section I)

Hantlers

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 8, 2010
All I can say is that I hope your storyline is better than your last one. I know you're a good writer, so you have my attention for now.

BlackCaesar-THSLA

Mr. Elway: S.O.S.
Oct 25, 2006
*Generic response to first post of one of these.*

I've been thinking that we needed more of these on the boards. When exactly is this set?

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
warriorswaylogo_zps8a398da7.jpg

HIGH EXPECTATIONS - MEDIA PICKS EVERETT TO WIN THE ICC

update1photo_zpsa59f9e11.jpg

All-State quarterback Sean Joseph Woy searches for his first ICC championship.

EVERETT -- Over the past 20 years, the Everett Warriors have been one of the most recognizable names in Pennsylvania high school football.​
And over the past 20 years, they've won just one conference title.​
That drought is expected to end in 2027, as multiple local media outlets have all named Everett the favorite to win the ICC.​
When was the last time the Warriors were conference champions? The answer is 2008, where they also won their first and only PIAA state championship. That team was led by senior receiver Ethan Woy, who was in his third year of the varsity program.​
Now 19 years later, the elder Woy is entering his third year as Warriors head coach and looks to put another state title ring on his finger.​
"We're returning a whole mess of talent," Woy said. "This group we have this year might be better than the team I played with when I was a senior. The league's much stronger, however."​
Once at best a middle-of-the-road conference in District 5-A, the Inter County Conference has expanded over the years and become one of the state's most premier conferences in Class AA.​
"NBC (Northern Bedford), Tussey (Mountain), Tyrone, Bellwood - all of them could make a run at State," Woy added. "Even a school like Hyndman has improved tremendously."​
Like the last two seasons, the elder Woy will have the pleasure of coaching his son, senior quarterback Sean Joseph Woy. The third-team All-State signal-caller eclipsed nearly 4,000 yards of total offense (2,738 passing, 1,121 rushing) last season and returns his three leading pass catchers in seniors Mike Kennedy, Bryson Parham and Thomas Jackson. And when you add senior tailback John Watson, it gives Woy a number of different weapons to spread the ball around to.​
Yet, none of these five veterans were the talk of training camp earlier this month.​
"Jerome's a lightning bolt," the younger Woy said with a chuckle. "I swear when he goes to bed, he can flip the light-switch and be under the covers before the room gets dark."​
Jerome Jones, a transfer from California, turned heads this summer with his blazing speed and playmaking ability. Coach Woy said he'll see snaps as a receiver and runningback, and also will be the primary kick returner for the Warriors. Even though Jones is just a freshman, he's already had a profilic varsity career as he qualified for the California State finals in the 100-meter dash as an eighth-grader.​
"I just like to run," Jones said with a smile.​
The defense is stout as well, led by seniors Laurence Kemp at free safety and Wendell Schultz at outside linebacker. Both players were All-ICC selections last year and lead a starting unit that features just one sophomore and the rest juniors and seniors. Juniors Bruce Thomas (defensive tackle) and Chris Brady (outside linebacker) were named pre-season All-ICC Honorable Mention.​
Besides a catastrophic injury of sorts, the only thing that could hold Everett back this year is their schedule. Three of the team's four toughest conference games are on the road, including two (at Northern Bedford, at Tussey Mountain) in a row to end the regular season. The Warriors open up their ICC schedule at ICC Gold Division favorite Tyrone, then go home to host Central. Other conference opponents include Southern Fulton, Forbes Road, Bedford and Hyndman.​
Below is the projected starting line-up for Everett, their schedule, and predictions for the rest of the conference.​

PROJECTED STARTING OFFENSE
QB - Sean Joseph Woy, Sr.
RB - John Watson, Sr.
WR - Mike Kennedy, Sr.
WR - Bryson Parham, Sr.
WR - Jerome Jones, Fr.
TE - Thomas Jackson, Sr.
LT - Duane Fenton, Sr.
LG - Jamil Jackson, Sr.
C - Trevor Ewing, So.
RG - Preston Jansen, Jr.
RT - Markeith Jones, Sr.

PROJECTED STARTING DEFENSE
DE - Lavelle Bowman, So.
DE - Rocky Hamby, Sr.
DT - Bruce Thomas, Jr.
DT - Atari Moses, Jr.
OLB - Chris Brady, Jr.
MLB - Trey Joseph, Sr.
OLB - Wendell Schultz, Sr.
CB - Taurean Grier, Sr.
CB - Donte Huff, Jr.
FS - Laurence Kemp, Sr.
SS - Wade Melton, Jr.

PROJECTED SPECIAL TEAMS
K - Robby O'Connor, Jr.
P - Bryan Dunlap, Sr.
KR - Jerome Jones, Fr.
KR - Mike Kennedy, Sr.
PR - Jerome Jones, Fr.

SCHEDULE (* - denotes Saturday game)
8/20 - vs. Moshannon Valley (7:00 PM)
8/28 - @ Tyrone* (1:00 PM)
9/3 - vs. Central (7:00 PM)
9/10 - @ Southern Fulton (3:00 PM)
9/17 - vs. Forbes Road (7:00 PM) [HOMECOMING]
10/2 - vs. Bedford* (6:30 PM)
10/8 - vs. Hyndman (7:00 PM) [SENIOR NIGHT]
10/15 - @ Northern Bedford (12:00 PM)
10/22 - @ Tussey Mountain (7:00 PM)
10/30 - ICC Championship* (7:00 PM)

ICC GOLD DIVISION
1. [HL=#000000]Tyrone[/HL] - Junior receiver Roosevelt Crenshaw might be the ICC's best player not named Sean Joseph Woy.
2. [HL=#0000FF]Bellwood-Antis[/HL] - Seniors Reggie Johnson and Samson Weber are itching to beat hated rival Tyrone for the first time in four years.
3. [HL=#800000]Central[/HL] - Senior runningback T.C. Clayton is the key to the Scarlet Dragons' success in 2027.
4. [HL=#000080]Mount Union[/HL] - Greg Gordon is the first freshman quarterback to start on varsity in Trojan history.
5. [HL=#0000FF]Glendale[/HL] - Senior linebacker Jarrett Ball might become the Vikings first D1 prospect.
6. [HL=#0000FF]Bedford[/HL] - Senior tailback Ethan Myers will keep the Bison in some games they don't deserve to be in.

ICC SILVER DIVISION
1. [HL=#FF0000]Everett[/HL] - Third time's a charm for Ethan Woy and his Warriors squad.
2. [HL=#000000]Tussey Mountain[/HL] - Senior quarterback Marco Higgins wants to end the Titans' four-year ICC championship drought.
3. [HL=#000000]Northern Bedford[/HL] - The three-time defending champs lost some big pieces, but return senior tailback Kedrick Barber.
4. [HL=#000000]Hyndman[/HL] - Seniors Michael Sanders and Lenny Pleasant make the Hornets triple-option attack a treat to watch.
5. [HL=#800000]Southern Fulton[/HL] - Sophomore tailback Alex Sharp gives Indian fans hope for the future.
6. [HL=#0000FF]Forbes Road[/HL] - Sophomore runningback Alonzo Terrell is the Cardinals' lone bright spot.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Expect a lot of game updates (from the HS part of the story, at least) to look like the article above. There will still be games that will be read in a normal third-person format, but overall this story will have a lot more of a dynasty / franchise approach than my previous projects. I don't think I'm sacrificing any character or background development by approaching things this way.

I'll throw another update up either later tonight or early tomorrow, depending on how I feel after the game. I'm pretty deep into this story writing wise, so I'm trying to space my updates out so I can stay ahead of the thread.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Status Check

The crack of a beer tab was the most common sound on the night before school started, next to the new Lil' Kane single coming from the living room's speakers. The Everett Warriors' head football coach was away for the evening; however, his house was still occupied with his players. The generically-dubbed "Fab Five" decided on having one last get-together before classes began, but just four of the five were enjoying themselves.

"Another one, Mike? That's your fifth already."

Mike Kennedy looked at his fellow senior wide receiver Bryson Parham and smirked, guzzling down some of the beer he just opened. "What? Nothing wrong with celebrating the end of camp."

"Except we have school tomorrow," Bryson chuckled, but Mike brushed it off.

"Please, we're treated like royalty around here. Who cares about school when you have the favorites to win the toughest conference in the state!?"

A few people outside the tight-knit circle raised their cups in celebration after overhearing Mike, and the four-star prospect gave them a mock toast before taking another gulp of his beer.

"Doesn't matter unless we win," Bryson stated, pointing out the team's failures over the last two seasons.

"Lighten up B," tight end Thomas Jackson insisted. "We all have our eyes on the prize, but that doesn't mean we can't be excited over the town's expectations of us. Even if we were picked to finish in the cellar with Glendale though, tonight is definitely worth celebrating. No more 'Hell Days' for us!"

"I'll drink to that," tailback John Watson added, raising his beer for a real toast with his teammates. The four did just that and continued talking about everything, from football to their possible "catch" for the night.

Besides Mike and the missing member of the five, it probably won't get any bigger than this in their football careers. A small, football-crazy town desperately wanted to witness their Warriors do something they haven't done since 2008, and that alone would be a more meaningful accomplishment than what Bryson, Thomas or John would do in their collegiate careers at whatever FCS or D2 school they'd attend. Football was king in Pennsylvania, and as long as these kids suited up in red and white, the community would honor them as their majesty.

The missing member was destined to be treated like royalty thanks to his father, but football was the furthest thing from his mind at the moment.

"Third-team All-State...so does that mean you were one of the best players in the state last year?"

Sean Joseph looked up from the floor and saw the blonde beauty Brittany Garrison in his room, running her fingers on his award plaques. He still struggled shaking off the news he received a month ago, so he spearheaded the planning of this end-of-the-summer party in hopes that it'd get his mind off of things. That however hadn't gone as planned, and here he was in his room wanting to be alone, but joined by a junior cheerleader that wanted to be another notch in the superstar's belt.

"Yup," he nodded, taking a sip from his beer as she uninvitedly sat down beside him. He knew she wasn't up for small talk and was only interested in what she desired, showing that as she leaned in and started to take off her shirt.

But right her top hit the floor, Sean Joseph's best friend burst through the door unannounced.

"Sean Joseph! I knew I'd find you in here," Mike laughed, glancing over to the blonde scrambling to find her clothing. "I see the blonde fetish hasn't left."

An embarrassed Brittany scurried off to Sean Joseph's bathroom and shut the door, while the quarterback sat up and wondered what exactly his friend wanted.

"Come outside man, we need to talk."

"That's the second time you've walked in at the wrong time," Sean Joseph said, shaking his head at his teammate's unfortunate timing.

Mike laughed and patted Sean Joseph on the back. "At least she handled it better than Allison."

"Allison was this close to strangling you," Sean Joseph chuckled as he remembered his fling with the now-Bedford cheerleader Allison Wallace. Mike walked in them during sophomore year and she took a more confrontational approach than what Brittany did; charging at him before he could shut the door and slip away.

Mike smirked before taking another drink of his beer. "Good times, good times. So what's up with you?"

Sean Joseph took a swig of his drink and stared at his best friend like he was clueless. A few seconds passed, then Mike realized what Sean Joseph was getting at.

"Oh, for fucks sake Sean Joseph. It's been a month now!"

"And I still think about her every day," Sean Joseph plainly stated, taking another swig of his beer. "It's tough to get over a long relationship just like that, especially after all the shit we went through."

"You don't have yourself to blame for this though," Mike reminded him. "Haley was a cool girl and all, but she was the one who cheated on you!"

"Don't fucking remind me," Sean Joseph cursed. "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't Ryan fucking Henderson she cheated on me with."

Mike shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe she knew Ryan was on that California mission trip and that was the reason she went."

"Not helping."

"Could be true though," he suggested. "Ryan was her first real relationship, and those are always the toughest to get over it seems."

Sean Joseph thought about what his friend said and immediately Candace came to mind. But Mike's theory was wrong in his eyes, because despite hanging out with Candace over the summer, he didn't have any motivation to get back with her. And with the rocky history between Haley and Ryan, Sean Joseph didn't understand why she'd rekindle that flame.

"You need to live a little," Mike continued. "You always tie yourself down to one girl - whether it'd be Haley, Allison, or that broad from Tennessee. Have a little fun and expand your horizons, man. Abuse your status!"

"Like what you do?" Sean Joseph weakly chuckled.

"Exactly," Mike nodded. "No use on settling down with some girl from here when you're gonna be miles away at college this time next year. You're the best damn quarterback in the nation; you should be embracing this lifestyle, not looking to avoid it."

The quarterback made eye-contact with his receiver and nodded, then stood up and walked back inside. Mike's advice wasn't what he wanted to hear, but it was what he needed to hear.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

WARRIORS ROMP BLACK KNIGHTS

update3photo_zpsce00d4b5.jpg

Jerome Jones celebrates after taking the opening kickoff back for a touchdown.

[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] | 00 | 00 | 00 | 00 | 00
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 14 | 28 | 21 | 07 | 70

EVERETT -- Everett had no trouble with the hapless Moshannon Valley Black Knights, beating them to the tune of 70-0 at a rainy Ethan Woy Stadium.​
The match-up looked like a total mismatch on paper and was proven that within the first 13 seconds, as freshman Jerome Jones returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for the Warriors' first of 10 touchdowns. Jones later added a 68-yard rushing score on a jet sweep late in the game.​
"I didn't want to keep Jerome (Jones) in there at that point," head coach Ethan Woy said. "But because he hasn't seen a lot of live game action yet, I left him in there to get his feet wet - no pun intended."​
Ethan's son Sean Joseph had a great season opener, throwing for four first-half scores and carrying in two himself. The senior signal-caller threw for 248 yards and added 152 rushing.​
Altogether, Everett complied 710 yards of total offense, with 462 of them coming from the ground attack. Along with Woy and Jones, senior John Watson and sophomore Geoffrey Paul each found the endzone.​
The Warriors face a much tougher task next week, as they travel to ICC Gold Division favorite Tyrone.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Jerome Jones 99 yard kickoff return (Robby O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 6 yard pass to John Watson (O'Connor kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 39 yard pass to Bryson Parham (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 1 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 13 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 45 yard pass to Kennedy (O'Connor kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 49 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Watson 10 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Geoffrey Paul 25 yard run (O'Connor kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Jones 68 yard run (O'Connor kick)

PASSING
[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] - Jeremy Rollison, 12-32-105
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 14-18-248-4-1

RUSHING
[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] - Ryan Jacobs, 12-25, Rollison, 5-1
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy, 15-152-2, Geoffrey Paul, 12-86-1, Jerome Jones, 4-83-1, John Watson, 11-82-1, Jammal Fogle, 3-37, Rod Guillory, 3-26, Mike Kennedy, 1-(-4)

RECEIVING
[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] -Troy Burkhead, 7-85, Jacobs, 5-20
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Kennedy, 8-132-2, Bryson Parham, 2-50-1, Watson, 2-15-1, Rashaud Ernst, 1-26, Thomas Jackson, 1-25

SACKS
[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] - None
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Wendell Schultz, O.J. Kerr, Malik Vincent, Bruce Thomas

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#000000]MVHS[/hl] - Allen Holliday
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None

Records: Moshannon Valley (0-1), Everett (1-0)

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
aroundtheicclogo_zps934ddded.jpg

ICC GOES 6-4 ON OPENING WEEKEND

update4photo_zps005a51fa.jpg

Everett senior receiver Mike Kennedy celebrates a touchdown in the Warriors' 70-0 win over Moshannon Valley.

The ICC went an impressive 6-4 on the opening weekend of the 2027 PIAA football season, headlined by Tussey Mountain and Tyrone's impressive victories.​
The Titans destroyed Class A power Bishop Carroll, 59-10, as senior signal-caller Marco Higgins threw for four touchdowns and 350 yards. Tyrone defeated former Laurel Highlands Conference rival Forest Hills, 42-15.​
Northern Bedford had the most intriguing match-up going into the week's games, but couldn't get anything going against Imhotep Charter, falling 39-17.​

ICC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offense: Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, Everett | 14-18, 248 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 15 carries, 152 yards, 2 TD
Defense: Lee Merrick, Jr., OLB, Tyrone | 5 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR

GAME RESULTS
Everett 70, Moshannon Valley 0
- Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, EHS | 14-18, 248 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT, 15 carries, 152 yards, 2 TD
Karns City 37, Mount Union 7
- Leonard Newell, So., SS, MUHS | 8 tackles, 1 INT
Imhotep Charter 39, Northern Bedford 17
- Marvin Bolen, Jr., HB, NBHS | 12 carries, 54 yards, 2 TD
Southern Fulton 28, Claysburg 13
- Alex Sharp, So., HB, SFHS | 27 carries, 121 yards, 2 TD
Central 17, Cambria Heights 0
- Danny Rivera, Jr., CB, CHS | 2 tackles, 2 INT
Hickory 41, Bedford 3
- Herman Hargrove, Jr., OLB, BHS | 13 tackles
Tussey Mountain 59, Bishop Carroll 10
- Marco Higgins, Sr., QB, TMHS | 21-30, 354 yards, 5 TD
Richland 37, Glendale 0
- Clifford Hayden, Jr., TE, GHS | 7 catches, 98 yards
Tyrone 42, Forest Hills 15
- Justin Engel, Sr., QB, THS | 21-34, 237 yards, 4 TD
Forbes Road 31, McConnellsburg 24
- Clifton Stewart, Sr., TE, FRHS | 8 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD

ICC GOLD DIVISION
Central | 1-0, 0-0
Tyrone | 1-0, 0-0
Bellwood-Antis | 0-0, 0-0
Bedford | 0-1, 0-0
Mount Union | 0-1, 0-0
Glendale | 0-1, 0-0

ICC SILVER DIVISION
Everett | 1-0, 0-0
Tussey Mountain | 1-0, 0-0
Southern Fulton | 1-0, 0-0
Forbes Road | 1-0, 0-0
Hyndman | 0-0, 0-0
Northern Bedford | 0-1, 0-0

WEEK 2 SCHEDULE
Everett @ Tyrone
Hyndman @ Jeannette
Northern Bedford @ Mount Union
Central @ Chestnut Ridge
Forbes Road @ Bellwood-Antis
Author's Note: Two unexciting updates, I know. Things will start to pick up with the next update.

Last edited:

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
It's actually sort of refreshing to follow a RTG/Chise hybrid. It's been many years since I've seen one.

Gonna need consistent updates for it to reach its potential tho.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
"Usually your typical Saturday fall afternoon consists of watching Penn State or Robert Morris - maybe even Pitt or Temple if you aren't so lucky - but here at Tyrone, over 20,000 have ignored today's slate of college football games and have come out to watch what could be one of the best games of the high school football season."

"That was Matt Pollack and I'm Lance Fisher, coming to you from a packed John Franco Field. In what might be a preview of October's ICC championship game, the Tyrone Golden Eagles host the Everett Warriors. Both teams won their season opener in blowout fashion and seem pretty evenly matched here. Matt, what are you looking for this afternoon?"

"Lance, I'm looking to see if the Warriors can live up to all the hype they've been receiving. Last week was basically a glorified scrimmage against Moshannon Valley, but the talent is definitely there to make a deep run. Sean Joseph Woy is the nation's best quarterback and the Kennedy/Parham/Jackson trio makes his life a whole lot easier. The problem with this team has been how they've performed when it's mattered the most. They fell to Northern Bedford twice and Southern Fulton with a first-round bye in the District 5-AA playoffs on the line last year, and also were beat by Mount Union the season before with a playoff berth for the taking. Winning a game like this will prove not just to me, but to a lot of people that the hype is real."

"They avoided the Golden Eagles last year - who again had another remarkable season and advanced to state for the second straight time - but this year's squad might be even better. It all starts with their quarterback; the second-year starter Justin Engel."

"Engel's also one of the best signal-callers in the state, but it's not slighting him at all to be named the lesser quarterback in this battle. Woy's just that good. What he has that Woy doesn't have, however, is the most talented receiver I've ever seen play for Tyrone - and he's just a junior."

"I'll have to agree with you there. Roosevelt Crenshaw is a physical freak at six-foot-four, 215 pounds and embarrasses anyone who attempts to cover him. He's got everything you want in a receiver - reliable hands, breakaway speed and elite athleticism. He could probably start at receiver right now for your alma mater, Matt!"

"Hey, let's keep Temple out of this! Anyways, we'll take a short commercial break and be right back with Everett/Tyrone. This is 104.3 WSKE."

Sean Joseph looked into the bright, cloudless sky and continued with his last-minute stretching. The hype machine reached a fever pitch over the week about this early-season heavyweight bout, but he didn't look too much into it. Sure, his team was picked to win the conference and Tyrone was picked to win its division, but those were nothing more than just predictions. They've never handed out a ring for being picked to win something; you had to go out and earn it.

Earn it. That was his motivation this season.

Freshman year at Davidson Academy, they were practically given the state title despite Josh Thomas blowing out his knee. Did they earn it? Nope, because they dropped their last two regular season games and then choked in the first round of the District 2A playoffs.

Sophomore year, they were thought to be in the District 5-AA playoffs and be a dark horse for a state playoff berth. Did they earn it? Nope, because they choked away a 22-3 halftime lead against Mount Union in the season finale.

Last season, they assumed they had a first-round bye because their season finale was against one-win Southern Fulton. Did they earn it? Nope, because they came out lollygagging and fell victim to an embarrassing upset.

Of course, there was the suspension from Sean Joseph's drug problem that hung around that night, but that's still something the quarterback doesn't want to talk about.

"Earn this one," he whispered to himself as he picked himself up from the turf. He stared around and saw fans still trying to file into the already full stands, but before he could think any more of it, he was tapped on the shoulder.

"You alright?" Ethan said as he put his clipboard down to his side.

Sean Joseph smiled and shook his head. "Never been better, Dad."

Ethan gave his son a nod and patted him on the back. The quarterback's mental preparation for the game was now complete, and for the next few hours he'd have all his off-the-field problems put to the side for his weekly worship session at his sanctuary.

"Jerome Jones is back to receive the kickoff for the Warriors and we're underway here in Tyrone! Deonne Flynn gets a hold of this one and Jones will surprisingly down it in the end zone, so Woy will have his offense start from their own 20."

"It'll be interesting to see how Ethan Woy calls this game at the start. Does he try to get up on Tyrone early by pushing the tempo or will he be more conservative and wait for his team's chances?"

"Guess we'll find out here Matt, as Everett lines up in their one back set with a tight end to the right. Woy takes the snap and will turn and hand off to senior back John Watson, and he has a nice hole! He'll scurry up through there and just pick up enough for the first down! Good start for the Warriors."

"Good run for Watson, who always seems to be overlooked on this offense. This kid's a fine back."

"First and ten for the Warriors at their own 30. Woy takes the snap, looks left and fires a bullet to Bryson Parham. It's caught, but he's immediately tackled after a gain of five."

"This passing game features a lot of slants and quick outs in order to move the ball down the field. These receivers are fearless going over the middle."

"Second and five. Woy's in the pistol formation and will take the snap. It's an option and he's going nowhere! Mickey Harrell shot through and blew that play up from the start!"

"Harrell and Lee Merrick headline an outstanding linebacker corps for the Golden Eagles. Harrell's the quick one of the two, while Merrick just overpowers guys."

"Woy drops back on third and nine. He's feeling some heat and has to scramble...fires a pass but it's off the mark and they'll be forced to punt. Merrick brought the pressure there."

Sean Joseph angrily un-snapped his chin strap and jogged to the sidelines as the punt team went on to take the offense's place. He thought he knew how quick the Tyrone defense was from the constant film sessions leading up to this game, but all that video couldn't imitate the real thing.

"And here comes the Golden Eagle offense, led by senior quarterback Justin Engel. Engel lines them up in the I-formation, and he'll take the snap. He drops straight back and fires a quick pass to Gene Walters. Walters corrals it and turns upfield before getting tackled by Kirkpatrick after a gain of nine."

Engel was one who was smart with his reads and didn't force too many passes. He was fine with checking it down to his tailback or fullback, as long as he avoided the turnover. But what made him a special talent was his deep ball, as he flung it with pinpoint accuracy almost every time.

"Third and five for Tyrone after Engel gains five on a designed quarterback run. The senior takes the snap, drops back and flicks off a beauty to the left corner...it's caught by Roosevelt Crenshaw and the Golden Eagles strike first! A beautiful throw and a beautiful catch by the talented duo!"

Both teams traded punts after Roosevelt Crenshaw's touchdown catch, with Jerome Jones returning the last of those punts for just two yards to the Everett 31-yard-line. Sean Joseph looked at the clock and saw it creep closer and closer to all zeroes, and wanted to get on the board before the quarter ended. If anything, a score would be a good momentum booster against a Tyrone defense that had their way with the explosive Warrior offense so far.

"...Woy misses Kennedy on the out route and it'll be second and 10 for the Warriors. Not exactly the smoothest of starts for the All-State quarterback."

Sean Joseph did his best to block out the frustration, but with each incomplete pass, it just became worse and worse. All he needed was one play to get into his groove and turn his game around.

"Woy back to pass again...pressure's in his face but he fires a bullet over the middle and it's caught by Jerome Jones! Jones streaks upfield and gains the first down after 14 yards!"

Sean Joseph looked over to the sidelines and saw his father waving his arm in a circular motion - the sign to tell him to switch to Ethan's patented hurry-up offense. He hurried his unit to the line, then read the defense and made an adjustment after seeing the strong safety Bubba Myers creeping closer like he was about to blitz.

"Adjustments made at the line by Woy after hurrying his offense to the ball. He gathers the snap and faces heavy pressure again...but he fires a rocket downfield and it'll be caught by a wide open Mike Kennedy! Touchdown Warriors! A beautiful read and audible by Woy after seeing the blitz and we're an extra point away from being tied!"

"Too easy," Sean Joseph said to himself. The Tyrone defense was in a Cover 2 the previous play and didn't have much time to change their scheme with the hurry-up. After seeing the safety creep to the line, he sent Mike on a fade, feeling pretty sure that the cornerback didn't adjust to the blitz.

And just like he drew it up in his head, it ended with six points on the scoreboard and a tied ballgame going into the second quarter.

Sean Joseph added a touchdown early in the second quarter on a strike to Bryson Parham, and along with his statistics, his confidence was growing by the minute. He made the correct adjustments after the slow start and suddenly it was the Tyrone defense trying to figure out their next move in this chess match.

Things looked even brighter as the Warriors offense methodically churned their way down the field again, but Lee Merrick broke through the line on a designed screen and took down Geoffrey Paul for a loss of six. Fourth and 14 would be tough to pick up, but there was no way they were punting at this part of the field.

"Robby!" Ethan cried out, searching for his kicker. "Can you make this?"

The junior eyed up the distance and looked at his coach with convincing eyes. "Yes sir."

"And it looks like the Warriors are going to try for a field goal here! Wow, this is pretty long for even college kickers - 51 yards it looks like. Clean snap, clean hold as O'Connor boots it...it's got the distance...but it'll be just a hair to the right! Woy took a chance there and it didn't work out, let's see if that'll cost him."

Robby came off the field dejected, but Ethan was the first one to meet him on the sidelines and lift his spirits up. Ethan wasn't second-guessing the decision because he knew his kicker could make it from that distance, but the following play made him third-guess on attempting the field goal.

"Engel drops back, has a clean pocket...fires a bomb deep down the left sideline and it's caught by Crenshaw! Crenshaw throws off a Warrior tackler and will waltz into the end zone! Just like that, the missed field goal burns Everett as Crenshaw burns the secondary for his second touchdown of the day!"

Despite the extra point being blocked, all the momentum shifted back over to the Tyrone side. Sean Joseph came back with a nice drive, but a designed run fell short of the first down by a few yards and Everett punted it back to Justin Engel and the Golden Eagle offense.

As a minute and a half remained in the second quarter, Engel changed his game plan and went to his version of the hurry-up offense. First a quick slant to Albert Reddick to jump start the drive, then he found Reddick on a deep post for 34 yards. Reddick was taking advantage of the double-team sent Roosevelt Crenshaw's way and caught another ball for 16, then Engel hit his tight end Kelechi McGill for 12.

With just 24 seconds left and an exhausted Everett defense standing in front of him, Engel dialed up the perfect play call to push Tyrone back on top.

"Engel sits in the shotgun...short drop, no it's a designed draw! Engel calls his own number and will take it in untouched!"

"Everett defense was thinking pass the entire way there...what a read by Engel to throw them off!"

"Flynn's extra point is through the uprights and it looks like Tyrone will go into the halftime break up 20-14!"

"...and Woy's pass on fourth and goal is just out of Kennedy's reach! Tough break for the Warriors there as they had something going and could have cut into the lead with a field goal, but they took the risk and went for the touchdown."

Just inches short from taking back the lead, Sean Joseph cursed at himself before heading back to the bench to talk to Coach Swindell about what he needed to do for next drive. The Everett defense helped its offense out by forcing Tyrone into its second three-and-out in a row, but Sean Joseph knew they couldn't hold down Engel and his unit down for too long. He needed to answer right here.

"...Woy goes through his reads and hits Parham on the curl for a first down."

Sean Joseph hurried his teammates to the line, trying to pick up the tempo to swing the momentum back in his favor.

"...Woy drops back and fires a quick slant to Kennedy for a gain of six."

Another completion, another hurry-up to where the ball was spotted.

"...Woy gathers the snap and looks for an open receiver...but Harrell breaks through! Woy's forced to dump it off to Watson but the senior back will only get two yards."

Even with the minimal gain, Sean Joseph hurried his unit to the line once again and kept the "full-court press" going.

"Third and two here for the Warriors...Woy gets it and locks onto Kennedy. He's covered pretty well, but the quarterback turns his head and fires to an open Rashaud Ernst! Woy looked off the safety long enough to let Ernst break free and it'll be first and goal from the nine-yard line!"

The hurry-up continued, but Tyrone clamped down and forced an incompletion and a four-yard loss on a designed quarterback run. Sean Joseph found his tight end Thomas Jackson for a gain of six, but it was still short of the end zone by seven yards. Ethan sent his field goal team onto the field, but Sean Joseph called off his dad and insisted they'd go back to the sideline.

"Now that's something you don't see everyday, folks! The coach's son calls off his father's decision and the dad is okay with it! Fourth and goal for the Warriors here, and they need this touchdown here. Woy takes the snap, looks for an open guy and sees no one...the rush is coming, but he escapes it. Woy's breaking to the end zone and leaps...he's in! Touchdown Warriors on a fantastic scramble by the All-State quarterback!"

Up again 21-20, Sean Joseph knew that lead wouldn't last too long. Tyrone's offense was just too explosive to be held down again, and minutes later his assumption was right as Shawn Simon carried a tackler into the end zone as the quarter expired. The two-point conversion pass failed, but with just 12 minutes to play, Tyrone was up 26-21 and left Everett wondering how they could stay on top for good.

"Flynn's kick is a beauty and it'll reach the end zone for a touch...nevermind, Jerome Jones will bring it out. Jones is to the 20, the 30...oh my, he's got something here! To the 50 with just the kicker to beat, and it's no contest! Freshman dynamo Jerome Jones everyone! With his blazing speed, he's given Everett the lead once again as we start the fourth quarter!"

Everett's two-point attempt failed, but Sean Joseph was feeling a little bit more confident now after Jerome's crowd-quieting kickoff return. Tyrone went three-and-out on their next drive, but the Warriors missed on a fourth down attempt to give the Golden Eagles the ball again with good field position.

"Everett continues to leave the door open for Tyrone here and sooner than later, it's going to cost them. First down for the Golden Eagles, Engel takes the snap and turns to hand to Simon. Simon gets bottled up...the ball is loose! And Wade Melton the strong safety falls on it! What a turn of events!"

"Wishbone," Ethan said to Sean Joseph as he pointed to his play-sheet. "They haven't seen it yet today...hell I don't know when the last time their program in general has seen it. Fake the read to the upback and follow him through the hole."

Sean Joseph nodded at his father's advice and wholeheartedly agreed with it. Usually father/son combos would clash because of egos and different views, but both sides understood the other's viewpoint and respected it. There was always a bit of give-and-take, from when Sean Joseph sent the field goal unit off the field earlier because he thought they could score a touchdown, to now where Ethan wants his son to keep it on the ground.

"Here's an unique look, folks. It looks like Everett's lining up in the Wishbone. Woy takes the snap and fakes the read to Watson...he's going to follow him through the hole and boy, is that hole ever huge! One-on-one with the safety and he makes him miss, and he'll head to the end zone untouched! Touchdown Everett on a great play call by Ethan Woy and great execution by his son Sean Joseph!"

Tyrone wouldn't go down that easy. Despite two sacks by the Everett defense, Justin Engel avoided the pass rush on third and 21 and found Albert Reddick for a 28-yard gain. Then, just as he's done to opposing cornerbacks since his freshman year, Roosevelt Crenshaw took matters into his own hands.

"Huge throw by Engel to hit Reddick there and Tyrone's in business once again. Snap's high out of the gun as Engel locks onto Crenshaw. It's a stop-and-go route but Huff isn't biting on the pump fake...yet Engel still throws it downfield! Huff's got excellent coverage on Crenshaw, but Crenshaw plucks it out of the air and will score! What a play by the junior receiver and Tyrone's two points away from tying this game!"

The two-point conversion was no good, but that highlight-reel catch energized the entire Tyrone team and its home crowd. Everett fell into a three-and-out after a busted run play on first down, and gave Tyrone just over two minutes to win it.

"Here comes Tyrone again as they have good field position at their own 39-yard line. Engel drops back, go through his progressions, has plenty of time and fires...it's caught by Crenshaw for a first down! Wait, did he stay on his feet? Yes he did! Crenshaw stays upright and gains another 15 yards, and now the Golden Eagles offense are in Everett territory!"

Roosevelt Crenshaw wasn't going to let Tyrone lose this game. He was furious over the media's prediction of Everett winning the ICC, especially considering his Golden Eagles won it last season. This was his chance to prove them wrong, and come out of this game as the best player on the field - even better than the five-star recruit standing on the other side.

"Engel goes through his progressions again and doesn't have anyone...Crenshaw throws his hand up and Engel throws in his direction...and it's caught over two defenders! Crenshaw is single-handily bringing Tyrone back as they now sit in field goal range with two minutes left!"

Shawn Simon finished the job with a four-yard touchdown run, then Engel took it himself for the two-point conversion to push Tyrone out front by a 40-34 score.

The clock read 1:47 following Jerome's kick return.

Sean Joseph saw this movie's ending too many times now. Either he'd make a mistake to clinch the game for Tyrone, or he'd lead Everett on a miraculous scoring drive, only to be stabbed in the heart with a back-breaking, last-second touchdown by the Golden Eagles.

But he wasn't worried, nor was he nervous. This was his sanctuary; the one place where he always felt calm, no matter the score. And no matter the magnitude of the game, no matter what was going on in his life off the field, nothing would ever change that.

He stepped into the huddle filled with nervous eyes - for they knew the team's recent history in close contests like this. And when those nervous eyes saw their quarterback break out in laughter, those earlier expressions soon turned into confused ones. One minute and 47 seconds away from another devastating loss, and their leader was laughing?

"God, I wish I could show you guys your faces right now!" Sean Joseph chuckled as he tapped a few of them on their helmets. "Now let's go win this game."

"...second and ten following the incompletion to Kennedy."

Sean Joseph overthrew Mike on an out, but it wasn't a huge deal. He had three more chances to get that first 10 yards, then would jump into his hurry-up attack and get to really dissecting the defense. One incompletion to start this final drive would only lower his completion percentage; it wouldn't affect the game's result.

"...Woy back to pass...has protection and fires over the middle to an open Rashaud Ernst for a first down! The Warriors are in business now."

Waving his arm around to signal for the hurry-up, Sean Joseph went to his play-sheet and made the call at the line. He dropped back and hit Mike on a slant for eight yards, then Bryson for nine on an out.

Things got a little dicey after that though, as the Tyrone defensive line broke through and forced Sean Joseph out-of-bounds after a gain of just three. He then hit Bryson again for six yards and instead of calling timeout, he lined the offense up to spike the ball. That's when he pulled out another trick and took the sneak up the middle for the needed one yard and a first down, then lined the offensive unit back on the ball in the same formation.

"Smart play by Woy there on the sneak, but the clock's ticking. Looks like they'll spike it this time around...no they won't! Woy drops back and hits Jackson on a quick hot read and it'll go for a 15-yard gain!"

Sean Joseph briefly smiled before calling timeout, then looked at the clock as it read 0:42. Eight yards to go with that little time on the clock? Certainly if they were to punch this in, Tyrone couldn't possibly come back from this.

"First and goal from the eight-yard line and the Warriors are so close to the lead that they can smell it! Woy drops back to pass, under some heat, but he fires a bullet to a wide open Bryson Parham...and he drops it! An uncharacteristic drop for the sure-handed senior, and now there's just 36 seconds left in this game!"

Bryson dropped his head into his hands and slowly walked back to the huddle, not wanting to look his teammates in the eyes after that drop. But before he could reach them, he was pulled aside.

"Forget that ever happened, because I'm coming right back at you right here."

"Woy has his offense in the basic split-back set with Kennedy on his left and Parham on his right. He's barking out the cadence and takes the snap, drops back and throws it near the edge of the end zone...and it's caught! Parham comes through this time around with a beautiful catch and Everett's just an extra point away from taking the lead!"

Sean Joseph raised his fist in celebration and jogged to the sidelines to get his congratulatory pats on the back from his teammates and coaching staff. Robby's extra point was perfect and with just 31 seconds left, it looked like this game was about over.

There was no way Sean Joseph agreed with that though. Not with recent history against him.

"One last shot here for Tyrone, but with Justin Engel and Roosevelt Crenshaw, anything is possible. Engel takes the snap and looks to his left, but sees no one open and throws it away."

"Good decision by Engel there, but he has to be aware of the clock. At some point, he'll have to start taking some chances down the field and hope his receivers can make the most of it."

"Second and ten for the Golden Eagles. Engel catches a high snap, has a good pocket and fires...it's caught by Reddick! Reddick makes a move and will have a first down after a 19-yard gain!"

"Tick, tick, tick...they need to get on that ball and spike it!"

"And they do just that with 19 seconds remaining."

Mike's head turned away from the inevitable, but sitting right beside him was Sean Joseph, who seemed keen on watching every moment of this comeback attempt. The quarterback wanted to witness first-hand if this was just another sequel to the film he's seen countless times, or if this one had an alternate ending to it.

"...Engel fires a rocket and it's caught by Crenshaw! 18 more yards for Tyrone, and they'll use one of their two remaining timeouts!"

Deonne Flynn was a third-team All-State kicker last season and had been in these kind of situations throughout his entire high school career. When his number would be called here in a play or two, he'd follow the same basic approach that helped him make 88 percent of his field goals. It would be nothing more than another kick, and he was absolutely sure it'd go right through the uprights.

"...and it's caught by Kelechi McGill for nine yards, but he can't get out-of-bounds! Tyrone will wait a few seconds and spend their last timeout, with just three seconds remaining. Here comes the third-team All-State kicker Deonne Flynn in to attempt a 46-yard field goal that would win the game for the Golden Eagles."

"Do I ice him or not?" Ethan thought to himself as he stared at the clock, wishing those last three seconds would tick off somehow without a field goal attempt.

History suggested that icing the kicker was more effective than letting him kick it on his first try, so the conventional choice was to call their last timeout, right?

But Ethan was anything but conventional.

"This is for the game. Clean snap, clean hold, Flynn boots it...it's got the distance...but he pushes it right! Unbelievable! The most reliable kicker in the conference pushes a 46-yard field goal off to the right and Everett will escape here with a 41-40 victory!"

"You can open your eyes now," Sean Joseph said, nudging Mike before picking up his best friend with a big bear hug. The rest of the Everett team flooded the field in celebration, happy and relieved after the last two seasons to finally get that monkey off their back.

Sean Joseph then shared an embrace with his father before he went to shake the opposing coach's hand. Sure, it was only a week two game and the first game of ICC play, but for this Warrior squad it was something more. It was a starting point towards their goals; which were an ICC title and state championship.

It was something they deserved after years of heartbreak, but even then you don't always get what you deserve. You have to go out and earn it.

And on this Saturday fall afternoon, Sean Joseph and the rest of his teammates did just that.

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Surprised to see such a dramatic game occurring so early in the year. Obviously not the last we'll see of Crenshaw.

FutureIsHere

Oh Hai
Jul 3, 2007
throwing it back with the prior update, mister woy. (spoiler alert i was totes gonna lightly use that myself once i reached college but i guess now i cant!)

but ive totally forgotten about SJ and his backstory but youve timed jumped a year or two, yes? may need to reread that other thread when I get some free time. but with all these senior studs, the Warriors should cruise and be clutch in those final minutes. which means those hurdles before college will have to come off the field. lookin forward to reading brah

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Only skipped the summer before this started. Pursuit of Happiness stopped right as SJ arrived in Tennessee to attend a football camp, but I had big plans for that summer so the details of that will come out throughout this season. Obviously, both it and Catching Controversy are the base for this story's past, so re-reading them would help with the background of this tale - hence why I want to put together a set of cliff-notes to assist with people who don't want to do that or haven't read the previous stories.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

EVERETT TOPPLES TYRONE IN THRILLER

update6photo_zps154a338c.jpg

Sean Joseph Woy outran the defense on this 40-yard touchdown.

[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 07 | 07 | 07 | 20 | 41
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] | 07 | 13 | 06 | 14 | 40

TYRONE -- Sean Joseph Woy had been in this same situation too many times over his high school career. His teammates couldn't blame him if he avoided watching Tyrone kicker Deonne Flynn lined up for a game-winning 46-yard field goal.​
"I was about to start questioning my religion if he (Flynn) hit that kick," senior receiver Bryson Parham joked.​
Fortunately for Woy, Parham and the rest of the Everett Warriors, Flynn's kick fell wide right and they escaped with a 41-40 victory over Tyrone.​
"I've been through that so many times, even dating back to my days in Tennessee," Woy said. "It's nice to finally be on the right side of one of these games."​
Woy did his best to overshadow the explosive Golden Eagle offense - which shredded the Everett secondary for nearly 500 yards through the air - and did so with a late 60-yard drive that ended in the eventual game-winning touchdown pass to Parham.​
"He's (Woy) a tough kid," senior receiver Mike Kennedy said. "I wouldn't want anyone else as my quarterback when it comes down to it."​
Woy accounted for 360 total yards (297 passing, 63 rushing) and five touchdowns (three passing, two rushing) on the day. The senior signal-caller looked frustrated at times with his high number of incompletions, but settled down to put together a long scoring drive when it mattered most.​
"Tyrone's got some great corners and safeties," Woy said. "There were a lot of passes that I've completed before where the defender swatted it away at the last second. I let it get to me, but not enough to affect my play."​
Even with Woy's high accolades as a high school prospect, the game's most talented player might have been wearing black and orange. Tyrone junior receiver Roosevelt Crenshaw single-handily kept the Golden Eagles in the game with over 300 receiving yards and three touchdowns.​
"Everett's probably the best team we'll face in the regular season," Crenshaw said. "I expect to see them again in the ICC Championship; where the result will be different."​
Everett will host Central next week, while Tyrone travels to Tussey Mountain.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Justin Engel 25 yard pass to Roosevelt Crenshaw (Deonne Flynn kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 55 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (Robby O'Connor kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 14 yard pass to Bryson Parham (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 66 yard pass to Crenshaw (PAT missed)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 11 yard run (Flynn kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 7 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Shawn Simon 3 yard run (pass failed)

4th Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Jerome Jones 104 yard kick return (pass failed)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 41 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Engel 43 yard pass to Crenshaw (pass failed)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Simon 3 yard run (Engel run)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 8 yard pass to Parham (O'Connor kick)

PASSING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 25-45-297-3
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Justin Engel, 24-41-497-3-1

RUSHING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy, 19-63-2, John Watson, 9-38, Geoffrey Paul, 2-11, Jerome Jones, 1-(-7)
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Shawn Simon, 10-26-2, Engle, 7-8-1, Joseph McAfee, 2-13, Geoffrey Babcock, 2-9, Albert Reddick, 1-4

RECEIVING
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Mike Kennedy, 6-95-1, Bryson Parham, 6-52-2, Thomas Jackson, 4-30, Rashaud Ernst, 3-42, Jones, 2-24, Paul, 2-18, Manny Ellison, 1-34, Watson, 1-2
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - Roosevelt Crenshaw, 13-324-3, Reddick, 8-143, Kelechi McGill, 2-21, Gene Walters, 1-9

SACKS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Laurence Kemp, Lavelle Bowman, Bruce Thomas
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl]- Pedro Leach

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Kemp
[hl=#000000]THS[/hl] - None

Records: Everett (2-0, 1-0 ICC), Tyrone (1-1, 0-1 ICC)

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

HYNDMAN SCARES JEANETTE, NORTHERN BEDFORD GETS BACK ON TRACK

update7photo_zps73dce7be.jpg

Tyrone receiver Roosevelt Crenshaw shakes off an Everett defender on this 66-yard touchdown catch. The Warriors defeated the Golden Eagles, 41-40.

Despite the giant mismatch from a historical standpoint, the upstart Hyndman Hornets gave perennial state power Jeannette a run for their money. After the first half Hyndman had a touchdown lead, but the Jayhawks speed and power advantages ultimately gave them the edge as they won 45-35. Hornet senior quarterback Michael Sanders had a fantastic day, accounting for 269 total yards and four touchdowns.​
Northern Bedford got back on track after a tough loss to Imhotep Charter last week. The Panthers ran away from Mount Union, 59-7, as both Kedrick Barker and Marvin Bolen ran for 100 yards.​
After a rough last-second loss at home against Everett, Tyrone is staring at a possible 0-2 ICC record as they travel to Tussey Mountain on Friday.​

ICC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offense: Roosevelt Crenshaw, Jr., WR, Tyrone | 13 catches, 324 yards, 3 TD
Defense: Laurence Kemp, Sr., FS, Everett | 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

GAME RESULTS
Jeannette 45, Hyndman 35
- Michael Sanders, Sr., QB, HHS | 19-25, 202 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 15 carries, 67 yards, 1 TD
Northern Bedford 59, Mount Union 7
- Marvin Bolen, Jr., HB, NBHS | 25 carries, 160 yards, 3 TD
Central 34, Chestnut Ridge 9
- Dane Howe, Sr., TE, CHS | 7 catches, 93 yards, 2 TD
Bellwood-Antis 34, Forbes Road 20
- Samson Weber, Sr., HB, BAHS | 16 carries, 108 yards, 1 TD
Everett 41, Tyrone 40
- Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, EHS | 25-45, 297 yards, 3 TD, 19 carries, 63 yards, 2 TD

ICC GOLD DIVISION
Bellwood-Antis | 1-0, 1-0
Central | 2-0, 0-0
Bedford | 0-1, 0-0
Glendale | 0-1, 0-0
Tyrone | 1-1, 0-1
Mount Union | 0-2, 0-1

ICC SILVER DIVISION
Everett | 2-0, 1-0
Northern Bedford | 1-1, 1-0
Tussey Mountain | 1-0, 0-0
Southern Fulton | 1-0, 0-0
Hyndman | 0-1, 0-0
Forbes Road | 1-1, 0-1

WEEK 3 SCHEDULE
Central @ Everett
Tyrone @ Tussey Mountain
Bedford @ Bellwood-Antis
Glendale @ Northern Bedford
Mount Union @ Hyndman

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

SEAN JOSEPH WOY PLEDGES TO TENNESSEE

update2photo_zpsd5b2f4f1.jpg

Everett's senior quarterback made his commitment to Tennessee over the weekend.

Days after his Everett Warriors defeated Class AA power Tyrone, Sean Joseph Woy wanted to clear the one big distraction that would have stuck around all season.​
Yesterday, Woy gave his verbal commitment to Nick Ray and the Tennessee Volunteers, becoming the third commitment in their 2028 recruiting class.​
Woy, who was also considering offers from his father's alma mater Syracuse, Penn State, Stanford, Arizona State, and Florida State, committed to Tennessee despite it being the last year of Ray's contract. Ray, who is a Tennessee alum, has underachieved in his three years with the Volunteers, compiling a 18-19 record. Knoxville sources say that Ray will most likely need a 10-win season to save his job.​
Woy is currently ranked as the top ranked quarterback in America according to all recruiting services, and is also a consensus top five overall prospect.​
Everett hosts Central this Friday night.​

rivalspage1_zps28d39463.jpg

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Well that was out of nowhere. Goes without saying that I doubt his recruitment process is complete.

Sneaky Bobby Battle easter egg.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Well I did say he knew where he was committing to in the intro, so the announcement isn't too shocking. IIRC, you had him pegged to go to Tennessee for most of Pursuit of Happiness.

And I'm glad you caught the Battle reference.

glenn65

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 2, 2009
Glad to see you back writing Woy. Catching Controversy was the first RTG I ever read. It'll be interesting to see if that commitment stays strong if UT's coach gets the boot

GhostOfBE

No Longer a Noob
Mar 2, 2012
lol this boy ain't playing for tennessee. their coach will get fired and SJ goes to either syracuse or arizona state

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Two Sides Of The Coin

Carrying on a tradition that started with the class of 2009, the Everett Warrior football team's seniors got together after Wednesday's practice to get dinner, then went over to one of their places for a mid-week party. It was used as a weekly team-bonding activity and something to celebrate the end of full-padded practices for the week; seeing that most Thursday practices were just walk-throughs for Friday's game.

This week Mike was hosting the party, and he decided to bend the rules just a tad by inviting all of the cheerleaders - not just the senior ones.

"Woy takes the snap and fakes the read to Watson...he's going to follow him through the hole and boy, is that hole ever huge! One-on-one with the safety and he makes him miss, and he'll head to the end zone untouched! Touchdown Everett on a great play call by Ethan Woy and great execution by his son Sean Joseph!"

A loud cheer erupted once Sean Joseph's highlight run was shown on WSKE, and a few partygoers gave the quarterback a congratulatory pat on the shoulder as they mingled with the crowd that was there.

Sean Joseph watched as they recapped the team's victory over the weekend, beaming as he continued to soak in his biggest win so far as a football player. He took a sip of his beer and flashed another smile as Deonne Flynn's kick fell wide right, then looked over at the blonde around his arm who was just happy he was giving her the time of day.

"Did I tell you how awesome you were Saturday?"

Sean Joseph chuckled. "Only three or four times, but who's counting?"

Brittany nervously giggled, but Sean Joseph cleared up her uncertainty with a kiss. She pulled him in closer and deepened that kiss, then put on a relieved grin once it ended.

"Come on, let's go upstairs," Sean Joseph whispered in the cheerleader's ear. "I don't think Mike will interrupt us this time."

It was a lot calmer on the other side of town, as Everett's best restaurant was experiencing a rare slow night. The hostess at the front of the room started counting the number of diamonds painted on the restaurant's wall, hoping she would be let off early but knowing that was unlikely considering it was her third day on the job.

The town's biggest name suddenly walked in and for all the people that were there, they stopped what they were doing and looked at him. The extra attention was a reason why he tried to avoid going out in public for the most part, but he also realized by now that it came with the territory. He especially shied away from here, since it was originally owned by his first wife's father. Nevertheless, he gave a friendly wave to the folks still looking in his direction and saw a flash-bulb go off before he turned his attention to the hostess.

The hostess was the only one in the building - and probably one of the only people in the state - who didn't know who this guy was, or what he meant to this town. Despite that, and her increasing irritation the longer she was kept at work, she greeted the man with a smile and grabbed a menu.

"Good evening, and welcome to The Union. Will it just be you tonight?"

"Nah, I have someone else coming," Ethan answered as the hostess went back to her booth to grab another menu.

The coach pulled his phone out of his pocket, examining the text message he received from an hour ago. Going out for dinner wasn't in the plans for tonight, but after the news he received, he figured it would be a nice gesture.

"Here you go sir," the hostess said as she gave him his menu. "My name's Christina, can I get you something to drink?"

"I'll just have a water," Ethan replied, continuing to look at his phone. "Make that two, actually."

"Two waters coming up. I'll have your waitress come bring them out to you."

A few more minutes passed before the door opened, and Ethan's guest stepped into the light. She mentioned to the hostess that she was meeting someone here, then glanced over in Ethan's direction, smiled and walked over to the table.

"Sorry I made you wait, Ethan. Once I got the news, I couldn't help but start working towards it."

Ethan smiled and leaned over the table to give her a kiss. "It's fine, Bre. I probably would have done the same thing if I were you. So Principal Taylor is retiring after the school year then?"

Bre nodded. "Yep, and she tabbed me as one of her potential replacements. I gotta make sure I stick out above the other candidates."

"That won't be too hard," Ethan crooned, which brought forth some blushing from his girlfriend.

"You know how much this means to me," she said as she sipped on her water. "It's been a dream of mine since college! I thought I'd have to wait another 10 years at least just think about it realistically."

"And that dream will come true," he insisted, turning his head to see their waitress coming their way.

Bre giggled before looking down to pick what she was gonna order. "It would be pretty awesome to rule the school together, with you as the big-time football coach and me as the principal."

"Why'd Brittany leave so early?" Mike asked Sean Joseph as he handed his best friend a beer.

"Said she had to get some homework done, she only had one and Kristen was sober."

"Their loss," the receiver chuckled as he took a sip from his beer. "You know, I love your dad as a coach, but I really love him for his class starting this tradition up."

"It's a great idea," Sean Joseph nodded. "We have less than a year with each other, so we should be spending as much time as possible. Guys like John and B will be playing at some school like Shippensburg when we graduate, while we'll be out of the state. You know you can commit to Tennessee with me anytime now!"

Mike chuckled and patted his friend on the shoulder. "We'll see, SJ. I like the Vols, but who knows if Ray will be there at the end of the year?"

Before Sean Joseph could stick up for his future coach, a familiar face stood in front of him. Mike knew he saw this girl before, but didn't have the history that his friend had with her.

"Brandi?" Sean Joseph said, surprised to see his freshman year fling here. "What are you doing here?"

"Not even a hello, Sean Joseph? What a shame," she laughed, sitting down beside the quarterback. "I'm friends with Tasha, so I came by when she said about this. Hope you don't mind...Mike, was it?"

Mike raised his brow, but quickly realized who she was. "Naw, it's cool. I met you at the Penn State/Syracuse game last year, right?"

Brandi nodded and turned back to Sean Joseph. "So how've you been? Haven't really seen you around since that game, I thought we were gonna hang out sometime."

"Sorry I've been busy with this whole recruitment shit," the quarterback replied, seeing a frustrated look on her face. "Want a beer?"

"Yeah if you don't mind," she smiled, batting her eyes as Sean Joseph got up to walk to the cooler.

"So I saw Sean Joseph decided on Tennessee," Bre said in between bites of her chicken parm. "Are you surprised?"

Ethan shrugged his shoulders. "A little bit. Part of me wanted him to go to Syracuse and thought that's what he wanted, but he seemed to really like his summer in Tennessee and his time with Coach Ray."

"It'll be good for him to be some place where he's comfortable, even if it's not necessarily near us."

"I agree, but I don't know if he'll honor that commitment for the duration."

"What do you mean?" Bre asked, unsure of how the recruiting process worked.

"A lot of these kids change their minds between commitments. Usually happens 'cause these teenagers can barely make a concrete decision on what they want for breakfast, let alone choosing a college. But it also happens when someone like a coach leaves a program."

"That makes sense. Do you think Sean Joseph will constantly flip-flop like any other young kid in his situation?"

Ethan shook his head. "Nah, he's not like most of these kids who give early verbals. I don't think he'll decommit because someone like Florida State is the flavor of the month."

"Then why are you worried about it?"

"Because that coach they have in Knoxville might not last the season and I think he only committed there because of him," Ethan explained. "I know Nick from my playing days and he's a great guy, but the coaching business is cut-throat. If results aren't up to par, then the coach's higher-ups will replace them in a heartbeat. And he's not producing."

"Which will make Sean Joseph change his mind."

"You're catching on!" Ethan chuckled, drawing a playful slap on the forearm. "But yeah, I'm okay with commits making a decision because of their relationship with the coach, but that shouldn't be the only factor. I just think Sean Joseph could look at more than how much he gets along with Coach Ray before making a commitment."

"Well, you're the one who raised him, so I'm sure he'll make the right decision in the end."

Ethan smiled and gave Bre another kiss before getting back to his food. At 36, he's been through two marriages, a mistress, a divorce, and a widowhood. A steady relationship without any extra bullshit had been hard to come by for the football coach. But just as he was beginning to lose all faith in a long-lasting successful relationship, Bre coincidentally reappeared in his life and restored his faith in that. And every day he thanked his lucky stars and Melyssa for guiding him to his newfound happiness; or at least as happy as he could be without his one true soul mate.

The word awkward understated the atmosphere between Sean Joseph and Brandi as they sat on the couch away from everyone else. The quarterback avoided her during freshman year after he cheated on Candace because he didn't want that relationship to be ruined, and then he didn't talk to her after they ran into each other at Penn State because he was with Haley. Brandi was visibly upset with that - and rightfully so - but Sean Joseph had his reasons to not keep in touch with the blonde bombshell.

But with no ball and chain holding Sean Joseph back now, he felt comfortable talking to Brandi again because of the minimal consequences. He wasn't really interested in pursuing a relationship with her because of what happened with Haley, but he wanted to form a friendship with his first lover.

"So what have you been up to?"

Brandi looked up as if she wasn't listening, but she heard enough of it to respond. "Oh you know, still doing the whole soccer thing. Bedford wants me to join the cheerleading squad too, but I'm still up in the air about that."

Sean Joseph chuckled. "So we have a cheerleader from a rival school in our premises, and she's friends with some of our squad? I find that hard to believe."

"I'm not a cheerleader yet, Sean!" Brandi shot back with a smirk. "And even if I were, are the rivalries here that bad?"

"It's pretty much social suicide to be friends with someone from Bedford or Tussey," Sean Joseph teased, taking another sip of his beer. "But seriously, it's very rare to see that happen."

"Not really the same as it was at Davidson, it seems like."

Sean Joseph nodded. "Exactly. It's even tough to date someone from a different school around here."

"You're with someone?"

"Not anymore," Sean Joseph said, shaking his head. "My ex and I broke up over the summer. Long story."

A small smile crept onto Brandi's face when the term 'ex' was used to describe Haley, but she quickly shook it off and regained her composure.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Sean Joseph shrugged the sympathy off. "It's fine. Still hurts, but you live and you learn, I guess."

Brandi softly smiled, and placed a hand of support on the quarterback's lap. "Don't sweat it. These things will happen to all of us at some point. You're a great guy and you'll find a great girl soon enough."

The tension was mounting between the two as a real smile crept upon the quarterback's face. Both knew what they themselves wanted then, but they didn't know what each other wanted. So the two sat in silence once again, afraid of what the next move would be.

"I think I'm going to see what Tasha's up to," Brandi weakly said, stammering through her words. But just as soon as she stood up, Sean Joseph's hand pulled her back down and their lips met.

After their long make-out session, Sean Joseph started to chuckle as some people filed into the room. "You just knew I was going to do that, didn't you?"

Brandi giggled and grabbed the quarterback's hand as she stood up again. "Let's find somewhere downstairs where it's less crowded."

The words were reminiscent to the first time they hooked up, and the path to get downstairs was coincidentally similar. Alcohol influenced their decisions three years ago, but this time both parties knew exactly what they wanted.

Last edited:

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Loving the pace you're at right now on this. It's nice to wake up to updates in the summer.

I propose that you write a quick catch-up entry that describes the girls who have a played a part so far. I'm having trouble recalling any details about most of them.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
I'll try to get that done at work today. And the pace is good for me too because I have a lot of updates still left in the queue, plus the entire season played out already. So expect an update to wake up to every morning until I feel I need to slow it down.

DC111027

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2008
Good update and agree with Bears about the update about the girls to describe them a bit more for people that can hardly remember this stuff like me. I really need to go back and reread Pursuit of Happiness.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
A little background on things...

Currently, this story is set in the fall of 2027 - Sean Joseph's senior year of football. Sean Joseph has enjoyed a lot of success in his high school career, starting midway through his freshman season at Davidson Academy (Tenn.) to his current run at Everett (Pa.) High. However, even with all of his accolades on the field, he hasn't enjoyed much post-season success. (Davidson Academy was knocked out of the first round of the District 2A playoffs, while Everett choked a playoff berth away sophomore year and lost to Northern Bedford in the District 5-AA semifinals last season.)

Sean Joseph has had quite a few love interests during his high school years. His first was a cheerleader named Candace, who he met after his first varsity game at Davidson Academy. The two dated for Sean Joseph's entire freshman year, then broke up once the quarterback moved up north. Candace and Sean Joseph reunited during SJ's summer trip to Tennessee for football camp, but nothing more than a kiss materialized.

Candace's rival Brandi was also a love interest of Sean Joseph. The quarterback actually cheated on his cheerleader girlfriend with the soccer player from Davidson Academy, but to this day Candace still doesn't know this. Brandi moved to Bedford (Pa.) High during her junior year of high school - something that SJ doesn't realize until he runs into her during a Syracuse / Penn State game at Beaver Stadium.

Like Brandi, Allison and Sean Joseph never dated, but she also is listed in the quarterback's love interests. Ironically, he stole her from the previous quarterback (Bryan Mitchell) along with the upperclassman's starting job in his sophomore season. The two ended things when Allison was afraid of getting pregnant after their first time. Currently, Allison attends Bedford (Pa.) and is a cheerleader there; this was mentioned in the update Status Check.

Haley is the most prominent of Sean Joseph's love interests. He met her at FBLA States following his sophomore season and they immediately hit it off. Sean Joseph's best friend Mike was surprised that the quarterback hadn't heard of Haley before, considering she dated former All-State and current University of Arizona signal-caller Ryan Henderson. Haley saw the best and worst of Sean Joseph, and helped our protagonist get over his painkiller (specifically Excedrin) addiction during his junior year of football. She was last seen over the days before Sean Joseph left for Tennessee, telling the quarterback about a mission trip she'd be on over the summer in California. It has been revealed that Haley cheated on him during that trip, and the two are not together anymore.

As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Mike is Sean Joseph's best friend and has been since the quarterback arrived in Everett. The two are practically inseparable and can't be seen without the other. Mike is a four-star prospect with offers from most schools in the country, but he hasn't revealed a favorite or a preference to where he wants to go. Sean Joseph would like for him to go to Tennessee with him, but it hasn't been revealed yet if he is interested in going there.

The remaining members of the "Fab Five" group that Sean Joseph is usually with are John (runningback), Bryson (receiver), and Thomas (tight end). Unlike SJ and Mike, these three don't have the same caliber of scholarship offers and will most likely be playing either in FCS or D2.

Sean Joseph's father, Ethan, doesn't really need an introduction. The first tale, Catching Controversy, recapped his rise from unknown high school receiver to two-time Heisman winner to now NFL Hall of Famer. Currently he serves as the Everett (Pa.) High School head football coach; a position he took after divorcing his second wife Rebecca during Sean Joseph's freshman year.

Rebecca is the mother of Brandon and is Ethan's ex-wife. The two got married sometime during Ethan's NFL career. They divorced after one of her secrets was brought to the limelight.

Brandon is Ethan and Rebecca's son, and Sean Joseph's half-brother. Not much is known about him yet, but he is currently an eighth-grader at Everett. Obviously, more will be revealed about him and how he is now with his father in the upcoming updates.

Melyssa is Sean Joseph's deceased mother. She was murdered shortly after Ethan pulled out of the NFL Draft. Although it has been over 15 years (not gonna bother looking up the exact number because it's irrelevant in this recap), Ethan shows that he's not over her, keeping pictures of her in his office and such.

BreAnn is Ethan's current girlfriend and one of Sean Joseph's teachers. She was a love interest of Ethan's before Catching Controversy began and revealed that she was in love with him during Ethan and Melyssa's wedding. The two reunited when Ethan moved back to Everett to take the football coaching job and they started dating shortly after.

I think that should catch some people up. There's obvious characters that I didn't mention (Rodney, CP, etc.), but they aren't a part of Pursuit of Happiness or this story.

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

EVERETT ROMPS CENTRAL, IMPROVES TO 3-0

update9photo_zpsf775abf6.jpg

Senior tight end Thomas Jackson looks this one in for a touchdown.

[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] | 00 | 03 | 06 | 00 | 09
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] | 07 | 21 | 14 | 03 | 45

EVERETT -- After a hard-fought win at Tyrone, many thought a letdown loss to Central was in the cards for Everett.​
Apparently, the dealer decided to stack the deck.​
The Warriors easily disposed of the Scarlet Dragons, defeating them 45-9.​
"I wanted to make sure we didn't celebrate the (Tyrone) win for too long," head coach Ethan Woy said. "Central could have knocked us off easily if we weren't on our game."​
Everett did come out slow, going three-and-out on their first two possessions before Sean Joseph Woy led his offense on a drive that ended in a nine-yard touchdown pass to Mike Kennedy. After Central went three-and-out to start the second quarter, Woy led the Warriors on another touchdown drive and before you could blink, a 7-0 lead turned into a 28-3 one once the clock struck zero.​
Woy had another superb outing, throwing for 289 yards and rushing for 143 more. Despite his pledge to Tennessee, there was still a number of scouts there to watch him.​
"I think they're scouting for whenever I play them as a (Tennessee) Volunteer," Woy joked.​
Everett will travel to Southern Fulton next Friday.​

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy 9 yard pass to Mike Kennedy (Robby O'Connor kick)

2nd Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 10 yard pass to Thomas Jackson (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - Roddy Guidry 33 yard field goal
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 15 yard pass to Jackson (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 12 yard run (O'Connor kick)

3rd Quarter
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - Donta Cary 9 yard pass to Donald Battle (missed PAT)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy 9 yard run (O'Connor kick)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - John Watson 9 yard run (O'Connor kick)

4th Quarter
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Robby O'Connor 32 yard field goal

PASSING
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - Donta Cary, 22-45-287-1
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Sean Joseph Woy, 20-34-289-3, Jammal Fogle, 1-1-10

RUSHING
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - T.C. Clayton, 10-48, Donald Battle, 1-4, Phil Smiley, 3-1, Cary, 1-(-3)
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Woy, 21-143-2, John Watson, 11-66-1, Geoffrey Paul, 11-40, Rod Guillory, 4-32, Fogle, 2-18, Buster Ramirez, 1-2

RECEIVING
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - Battle, 6-88-1, Ed Crawford, 5-81, Clayton, 4-51, Leon Strickland, 3-33, Dane Howe, 2-17, Edmond Brothers, 1-9, Blair Williamson, 1-8
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Thomas Jackson, 7-130-2, Mike Kennedy, 6-79-1, Bryson Parham, 4-42, Rashaud Ernst, 2-35, Jerome Jones, 2-13

SACKS
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - Travis Riley (2), Brooks Lambert
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - Bruce Thomas (2), Wendell Schultz (2), Rocky Hamby, Atari Moses

INTERCEPTIONS
[hl=#800000]CHS[/hl] - None
[hl=#FF0000]EHS[/hl] - None

Records: Central (2-1, 0-1), Everett (3-0, 2-0)

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008

TYRONE KNOCKS OFF TUSSEY IN OVERTIME

update9photo_zpsc01df591.jpg

Kedrick Barber breaks a tackle on this 46-yard run. Northern Bedford defeated Glendale, 57-0.
In what was basically a must-win for Tyrone, the Golden Eagles knocked off powerful Tussey Mountain in overtime, 34-31.​
Shawn Simon's 37-yard touchdown run with 2:18 left tied it up, then Deonne Flynn made up for his last-second miss last week by knocking through a 42-yard field goal in overtime. Titans quarterback Marco Higgins was intercepted on their overtime possession to seal the victory for Tyrone.​
Northern Bedford again had the biggest margin of victory, dropping 57 points on the hapless Glendale Vikings. Kedrick Barber ran for a season-high 207 yards in the contest.​
ICC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Offense: Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, Everett | 20-34, 289 yards, 3 TD, 21 carries, 143 yards, 2 TD
Defense: Lawrence Hart, Jr., CB, Tyrone | 5 tackles, 1 INT, FF

GAME RESULTS
Everett 45, Central 9
- Sean Joseph Woy, Sr., QB, EHS | 20-34, 289 yards, 3 TD, 21 carries, 143 yards, 2 TD
Tyrone 34, Tussey Mountain 31 [OT]
- Shawn Simon, Jr., HB, THS | 18 carries, 125 yards, 2 TD
Bedford 42, Forbes Road 14
- Ethan Myers, Sr., HB, BHS | 18 carries, 119 yards, 1 TD
Bellwood-Antis 29, Southern Fulton 3
- Samson Weber, Sr., HB, BAHS | 16 carries, 133 yards
Northern Bedford 57, Glendale 0
- Kedrick Barker, Sr., HB, NBHS | 22 carries, 207 yards, 2 TD
Hyndman 38, Mount Union 7
- Michael Sanders, Sr., QB, HHS | 15-23, 167 yards, 1 TD, 13 carries, 69 yards, 2 TD

ICC GOLD DIVISION
Bellwood-Antis | 2-0, 2-0
Bedford | 1-1, 1-0
Tyrone | 2-1, 1-1
Central | 2-1, 0-1
Glendale | 0-2, 0-1
Mount Union | 0-3, 0-2

ICC SILVER DIVISION
Everett | 3-0, 2-0
Northern Bedford | 2-1, 2-0
Hyndman | 1-1, 1-0
Tussey Mountain | 1-1, 0-1
Southern Fulton | 1-1, 0-1
Forbes Road | 1-2, 0-2

WEEK 4 SCHEDULE
Everett @ Southern Fulton
Mount Union @ Bedford
Hyndman @ Central
Tussey Mountain @ Forbes Road
Glendale @ Bellwood-Antis

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
espnheader_zpse99ecc35.jpg

Former Heisman winner reportedly looking at collegiate options
- Travis Woods, ESPN College Football Writer

ethanwoyphoto2_zpse9c4c7ce.jpg

Former Syracuse receiver Ethan Woy won a national championship as a member of the Orange.

ASSOCIATED PRESS -- Everett (Pa.) High School head football coach Ethan Woy has reportedly sought interest in a collegiate coaching position for the 2028 season, according to a source.​
The former Tennessee Titans receiver hinted at coaching college ball during his NFL Hall of Fame induction speech last month, but admitted "it'd probably be a few years" before that would come into fruition.​
Woy retired after Super Bowl LVIII and took a year off from football before taking a job in his hometown. He's in his third year of coaching the Warriors, who are led by his son and recent Tennessee commit, quarterback Sean Joseph Woy.​
His coaching style has been said to be similar to former University of Oregon and Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly's. Kelly's offensive scheme would feature a no-huddle, hurry-up attack that primarily worked out of the shotgun. Woy's offense features the same tempo element, but the offense itself is fit for a pro-style format.​
During his 11-year NFL career, Woy racked up totals of 933 catches, 15372 yards and 131 touchdowns. The recent Canton inductee - whose 16.5 yards per reception ranks as the best in NFL history - was an eight-time Pro Bowler, three-time NFL Offensive Player of the Year and the winner of the 2017 NFL MVP and Super Bowl LVIII MVP.​
It is uncertain whether there are any particular schools that Woy is interested in, or if any school is interested in his services.​

Last edited:

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Dig the formatting there.

Doubt SJ's dad has the option to lead a big-time school as soon as 2028, but maybe he can be a positional coach on Nick Ray's staff and secure his son's commitment.

That's the easiest conclusion, but SJW might want to leave his dad's tutelage altogether. He's been hinted to both love his dad's coaching and desire his own path at the next level.

Last edited:

woy1509

Star
Jul 24, 2008
Overture

"Second player of the week award, Sean Joseph?" Mike chuckled as his best friend held the plaque he received from the school's front office. "Mind saving some for the rest of us this season?"

Sean Joseph brushed the comment off as he jingled his keys in his hand. "Your pick today. Where we eating at?"

Mike stopped for a few seconds, rattling off possibilities in his head before deciding on one. "Let's hit up Best Way. Haven't been there since before camp."

"I just went there with Brandi the other night," Sean Joseph silently groaned, inaudible to his top receiver.

After their hook-up last week, Sean Joseph and Brandi started to hang out more regularly. Neither would commit to calling it a relationship, and neither knew what the other actually wanted besides the obvious. They both didn't really want to bring attention to it at the moment, because they were having enough fun just hanging out as it is.

The quarterback and his receiver left in the former's Ford Escape and drove over to Best Way - the town's most popular pizza shop. As seniors at Everett High School, they were permitted to leave the campus for lunch, and they took advantage of that rule every day. Usually it'd vary between fast food places with the occasional stop at the sports bar just outside of town, but no matter where it may be, it was guaranteed to be better than what the school was serving.

"So we got SoFo this week," Mike said, referring to Friday's opponent Southern Fulton by an acronym. "What you think we'll hang on these dudes? 40? 50?"

"Probably 60," Sean Joseph chuckled. "I just want to beat these guys after what happened last season."

"Yeah, damn you and your drug problem then," Mike laughed, but that was quickly cut off by the serious look on his friend's face. "Still a sore subject, I guess."

Sean Joseph nodded and pulled his phone out, checking and replying to a text from Brandi. "You would think Bedford doesn't check for phones with the amount of times this girl texts me."

"Who? Brandi?" Mike asked, which was met with another nod from Sean Joseph. "Don't tell me you went and got yourself in another relationship after what we talked about the other week."

Sean Joseph shook his head. "It's nothing more than just us hanging out. I took your advice last Wednesday with Brandi and Brittany, remember?"

"And that's the proudest I've ever been of you," Mike smirked. "But seriously, you know the drill. Nothing serious that you'll want to hang onto once you leave for Tennessee. It's seriously not worth it."

"I hear ya dude," Sean Joseph said as he typed up a response to another text. "It's seriously nothing more than just hanging out."

"Whatever you say man," Mike chuckled to himself, taking a bite of his pizza slice. "What's this I hear of your dad looking for a job in college?"

"Where'd you hear that at?"

Mike pulled out his phone and showed him the ESPN article. "Seems legit if ESPN's talking about it."

"Sounds like they're just looking for views," Sean Joseph scoffed as he took a sip of his Mountain Dew. "He said while we were in Canton that he wasn't gonna look for a college job until both myself and Brandon graduate."

"How's he doing anyways?"

"Pretty good. Still adjusting to PA after the whole custody battle, but he's coming around. He's tearing up at runningback on the junior high team."

After Ethan and Rebecca's divorce, the custody battle to determine who would get Brandon took over two years to settle. Neither side could gain an edge on the other until the Hall of Famer's ex-wife inexplicably decided to drop her case. No one really knew why she gave up custody of her son, but it was quickly ignored once Brandon was moved up north to live with his father and half-brother.

"Shit, the whole family is just a group of offensive playmakers," Mike chuckled.

Sean Joseph joined him in the laughing. "Yeah, you can say that. He's never talking about football though; it's always baseball, baseball, baseball with him."

"Strange," Mike said before changing the topic back to Sean Joseph's father. "Where do you think your old man would coach if this report is true?"

"If this report is true," Sean Joseph started off, stressing the word 'if'. "It'd probably be at some small school in the area. I can't imagine someone like Syracuse or Penn State wanting him after just a few years of high school experience."

"It'd be pretty cool if he joined you at Tennessee," Mike suggested.

"Ray's not getting fired," Sean Joseph shot back. "Get that thought out of your head right now, 'cause it ain't happening."

"Bummer, that'd be the only way I'd play there."

Sean Joseph flipped off Mike after that comment and the two laughed as they continued on with their lunch. The quarterback truly didn't believe his future coach's job was in jeopardy, and he didn't think his father was as serious about a college job as the report made it seem he was. He couldn't worry about either though, because any of those distracting him would affect the pursuit of the team's main goals.

"Ready for History?" Mike asked as they made their way back into the school.

"Ready to take a nap, if that's what you mean," Sean Joseph laughed, opening up his locker to grab his book.

Mike shook his head. "Can't believe you just sleep through half your classes. I can barely manage a B in here by paying attention the entire time."

"It's called being gifted," Sean Joseph bragged as he continued to search for his book. "Fuck, I think I left it in my car."

"Yeah you're gifted alright," Mike chuckled. "I can't afford to be late though, so I'll just see you in there."

Sean Joseph and Mike walked off in different directions, with the one moving faster than the other to make up for lost time. The quarterback found his book under his driver's seat, then started to walk back to the school when he suddenly stopped after hearing a soft soothing voice in the distance.

"Trying to visualize how to get it right, but my vision's so blurry...trying to slow it down and stay close to the ground, but we're always in a hurry now..."

Sean Joseph looked around to see where this was coming from, finally locking eyes on a girl sitting on the sidewalk holding a guitar. She didn't look any taller than 5'4", and her voice was as gentle as what her frame suggested. It complemented her guitar playing perfectly; the two together made for a sound so pleasant that the quarterback lost himself in the melody and didn't hear the bell ring for class.

"And if I could make this world stand a little slower...then I would, then we could grow a little closer...I think we're getting closer..."

Sean Joseph decided to approach her and at the very least compliment the girl on her vocal prowess, because a talent like hers shouldn't go unnoticed.

"You might have one of the prettiest voices I've ever heard," he crooned, looking down at her to see that beauty didn't only lie within her voice.

"Thanks," she nodded as she started to pack her guitar up. "Oh sorry, I'd be rude to not introduce myself after a compliment. I'm Christina."

Sean Joseph couldn't understand why he hadn't seen this girl before. Her light-skin complexion could stand out in the predominantly white school, and her brown eyes looked as if they could get any man to stop right in his tracks. The amount of different racial features that she flaunted was astonishing; he could see mostly African-American and Japanese in her, but there were traces of Native American and Dominican as well. This had to have been one of the most beautiful girls he had ever seen in his life, yet he somehow didn't know she existed until just now on the fourth week of school.

"Nice to meet you Christina," the quarterback said as he still admired her beauty.

Christina looked confused as she closed her guitar case. "And you are?"

Sean Joseph laughed as if she was pulling her leg. "You're joking, right?"

"No, I'm Christina," she said, rolling her eyes out of irritation as she started to stand up to leave.

The quarterback scrambled to take back his words. "Oh, my apologies. I honestly thought you were joking. Name's Sean Joseph."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Joseph."

"No, no, no...I go by my first and middle name," Sean Joseph corrected her as he began to blush. "I'd actually be Mr. Woy, if we're trying to be formal."

Now it was the brunette's turn to laugh. "Two first names? That's rich!"

And now it was Sean Joseph's turn to roll his eyes - but not out of irritation. "Yeah, I guess my dad wanted to be different when he named me."

"Does he have two first names too?" Christina teased, which brought on a dumbfounded look from the quarterback. "I guess not."

"You've never heard of my dad Ethan?" Sean Joseph asked, getting a horizontal nod of the head in response. "I'm guessing you either aren't from around here, don't watch football, or both."

"I'd go with option C," she giggled as she turned away to walk her car.

The stunned quarterback watched her walk away, then yelled right before she got into the vehicle. "Wait, don't you have class?"

Christina smiled and shook her head. "Yeah, study hall. You might want to get to yours though, the bell only rang 15 minutes ago."

And with that she sped off, leaving Sean Joseph in a state of confusion and intrigue - and without a good excuse to go into his History class late.

Last edited:

DaaaaaBears

Super Star
May 30, 2006
Glad to get a mention, but I guess I'll have to wait until page two to make my debut in this.