Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
The storyline of that series would be George McPhee. The team that McPhee built/ruined over a prolonged period of time that could never get over the hump, finally breaking through and facing their former manager’s new team - a team he built in a day.

I think his only really bad move player wise was the Forsberg trade. It just ended up being a REALLY REALLY BAD move. Maybe its also causing me to forget the others. The other thing he used to piss me off about was hiring coaches. It's like he was allergic to hiring someone that had any NHL experience.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
And?

I was wrong. So what? Kinda a dick move.

If Vegas wins it all we're never gonna hear the end of it. At least Pittsburgh was tolerable to an extent.

Last edited:

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Ben picked them to go as far or further then everyone else that picked at the start of playoffs...

And is one game away from picker pool champs. Ain't got love for people that call out others for picks that were too afraid to make their own.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
That was the best I think I've ever seen the Caps play in the playoffs in my life. Holy shit. Ovechkin, Orpik, and Wilson just trucking people. Game 7 nerves for the next 48 hours.

69los

Mr. Grumble
Nov 9, 2000
That was the best I think I've ever seen the Caps play in the playoffs in my life. Holy shit. Ovechkin, Orpik, and Wilson just trucking people. Game 7 nerves for the next 48 hours.

Last night reminded me of the last game in Nassau - another game 6 - against your Caps. There was no way we were losing that game and our 4th line brought the fire. Hopefully, for your sake, they left something in the tank for game 7 and won't repeat the general malaise the Isles had in their game 7.

On a side note, the Islanders just made Garth Snow the most well-payed coffee boy in the NHL.

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
is khaos our new whoever that blackhawks fan was

I gotta say, overall, the fans and atmosphere in vegas was incredible. everyone very amicable, welcoming. can't even count how many vegas fans came up and said good luck tonight boys, took pictures with us, etc.

it was kinda neat being in a building where a lot of fans didn't know much about the sport -- like overhearing lots of chatter around you with people asking questions, or why was there a whistle, that kind of thing -- but still very engaged, but then you run into some folks who know the game real well, talk about the wranglers, etc.

I don't know about decibels or whatever, but felt real quite compared to the MTS Centre, despite the crowd appearing raucous. Definitely not as crazy as Jets fans in terms of cheering/noise, but I also think MTS just feels louder because of size or maybe acoustics, as well?

the whole pre game thing is so ridiculous and over the top it could only work in vegas lol. wasn't ottawa mocked for doing something equally cheesy awhile back?

anyway, fun weekend, and don't let khaos or the internet ruin it for you, knights fans are pretty cool in my book.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001

Nah, Khaos is far more coherent than DeathLok2001. He speaks in sentences and he isn't constantly laughing at his own almost-jokes. It would have been interesting to see if he's still willing to participate in the board even after his team got eliminated (it is more interesting as a 'community' to talk with people who are willing to talk in good times and bad, and not just the gloat-happy poor winners), but that may have to wait for another year.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Welcome to my life living in Florida, haha. Its very rare for me to even have a conversation in person with people that have a great understanding of the sport, but when they do its pretty awesome. My coworker basically told me all he knows is that Ovechkin is a beast and Crosby seems like the Lebron of the sport, cause people that like hockey always hate on him on facebook and call him a crybaby/whiner. To me that is slightly above average knowledge for people that fall into every day interaction (average would probably fall around knowing 5 teams).

One of my cousins went into the Air Force and came out of it a huge Pens fan, I dunno how or why. He was in town a few weeks ago so I watched the Pens/Flyers with him and that was the first time in a long time I could actually talk about trades and player movement in person with someone in like 3+ years.

Now that Vegas is national news getting attention I'm getting questions about how they got a good team in one year and people start with theories like they bought another team and moved them to Vegas or that they just signed everyone as a Free Agent and are paying more then other teams offered. Then I start explaining the draft process and people are like holy shit why did they not take Ovechkin from the Caps if they got one player from every team. Then I explain the protection process and they're like oh so they didn't get any star players at all, then I point out that some teams couldn't protect stars such as the Pens with their goalies...sigh.

Last edited:

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
the whole pre game thing is so ridiculous and over the top it could only work in vegas lol. wasn't ottawa mocked for doing something equally cheesy awhile back?

I remember that like 10 years ago they had that Spartan come out with the helmet too big for his head and give a speech.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Vegas fans. I remember the first year I really got into hockey, it was exciting getting into it and learning about it so I could imagine the excitement that some of the fans just starting with Vegas have been going through. Despite losing to them, I like having a team in Vegas(cheap/easy to get to) so I do hope to see the fan base build up over there.

Last edited:

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001

I remember that like 10 years ago they had that Spartan come out with the helmet too big for his head and give a speech.

The funniest part of that was that there was an echoing effect when he spoke. So when he said “we have one mission - to win!” It sounded like “we have one mission - two women!” That sound bite was played as a radio gag for years.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I don't know about decibels or whatever, but felt real quite compared to the MTS Centre, despite the crowd appearing raucous. Definitely not as crazy as Jets fans in terms of cheering/noise, but I also think MTS just feels louder because of size or maybe acoustics, as well?

I would love to fly out for a game in Winnipeg, preferably one of those weekend doubleheaders. So the next few years i'm gonna keep an eye on the schedule so I could take a Friday/Monday off to do so. That an it gives me an excuse to go to Canada for a visit.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster

Nah, Khaos is far more coherent than DeathLok2001. He speaks in sentences and he isn't constantly laughing at his own almost-jokes. It would have been interesting to see if he's still willing to participate in the board even after his team got eliminated (it is more interesting as a 'community' to talk with people who are willing to talk in good times and bad, and not just the gloat-happy poor winners), but that may have to wait for another year.
lol I've been kinda around for a few years, my other account was TheInfluence before IGN accounts got messed up. I grew up a Sharks fan but it's hard not to root for the local team in Vegas. I was just chirping a little bit because I thought it was funny he posted about "Vegas hitting the wall" after 2 of their 3 losses these playoffs

Last edited by a moderator:

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
The article I read was 78-82m so yeah right at that mark, 3-7m instead of 5-7. Dunno if there is anything more recent.

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
It is a bit high and long but I really don’t mind. The Sharks do have a bit of cap space to work with this offseason , not including any potential raise. He helped keep us afloat during Thornton’s absence in the regular season and I could see him working at a better pace for the next couple of years barring any serious injuries.

Last edited:

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
This has the Bobby Ryan stink all over it. And Ryan had more consistent history behind him when he signed his now-albatross deal.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Seems like a bit of an overpay and risky but I know he played well for the Sharks after they traded for him. He had a pretty brutal series against vegas though.

Sep 18, 2006

I gotta say, overall, the fans and atmosphere in vegas was incredible. everyone very amicable, welcoming. can't even count how many vegas fans came up and said good luck tonight boys, took pictures with us, etc.

it was kinda neat being in a building where a lot of fans didn't know much about the sport -- like overhearing lots of chatter around you with people asking questions, or why was there a whistle, that kind of thing -- but still very engaged, but then you run into some folks who know the game real well, talk about the wranglers, etc.

anyway, fun weekend, and don't let khaos or the internet ruin it for you, knights fans are pretty cool in my book.

One of the things we learned rather early here is that, during the regular season, our arena is filled with a lot of away fans. Its the nature of the city. So a lot of fans, on facebook groups and what have you, have made it a point to be very welcoming. Putting a stop to other Vegas fans who get rude. Yeah we enjoy good old fun chirping, but never gets out of hand. I am so glad to hear a visiting fan came and had a great time As a long time hockey fan, seeing this city go nuts for the sport and seeing all the visiting fans have made this past year the best of the 10 years I have lived in this city.

In regards to the pregame show, at the start of the season, myself and many others did not like it. We thought it was a bit too much. However its grown on all of us, and I think you are right, it would only work in a place like this. Also seeing that story they made evolve throughout the year was really awesome. They really took the medieval and fantasy-ish aspect of "enemies are invading our lands" to the Vegas level.

Anyways, glad to hear you had a great time. Please visit again, one thing I will note is that most fans here love Canadian fans the most as they are the most friendly. (Edmonton though . . .) Now GOKNIGHTSGO!! CUPIN1

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
You win in the pool only if the Jets win, east opponent doesn't matter. I originally thought you would win in the Tampa beats Jets scenario but I missed Ben having a points lead on you since he also picked Jets to make finals. You only gain points on him by Jets winning the cup, I gain points on him in a Caps final since he and you both had Jets vs Bruins final, while I had Jets vs Caps final.

Ben: Tampa wins, Vegas beats Tampa
You: Winnipeg wins
Me: Caps win, Vegas beats Caps

Only remaining scenarios. Vegas winning meant that the pool was over tonight either way. Caps for me or Tampa for Ben. DQ takes 2nd.

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
One of the things we learned rather early here is that, during the regular season, our arena is filled with a lot of away fans. Its the nature of the city. So a lot of fans, on facebook groups and what have you, have made it a point to be very welcoming. Putting a stop to other Vegas fans who get rude.

not surprising. we had one incident where some dude started chirping us for cutting into line (we didn't, we had been standing there for like 10 minutes...your concession lines are crazy slow btw) and other fans jumped on him real quick.

that was kind of our take on it as well, vegas is so tourist friendly, it's just a way of life.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
pretty crazy back and forth game 1

neither goalies played that well and the pace was fast which was surprising considering people thought the caps would try to slow down Vegas

tom wilson with another dirty cheapshot but I doubt he gets anything for this one

Sep 18, 2006
pretty crazy back and forth game 1

neither goalies played that well and the pace was fast which was surprising considering people thought the caps would try to slow down Vegas

tom wilson with another dirty cheapshot but I doubt he gets anything for this one

yeah a great start to the series, both goalies were definitely off their game. that especially did not look like the same Fleury we have seen all postseason. and yeah that hit by wilson. some people are calling for suspension, but being the scf i would rather see just a fine if anything at all.

Sep 18, 2006
One of the things we learned rather early here is that, during the regular season, our arena is filled with a lot of away fans. Its the nature of the city. So a lot of fans, on facebook groups and what have you, have made it a point to be very welcoming. Putting a stop to other Vegas fans who get rude.

not surprising. we had one incident where some dude started chirping us for cutting into line (we didn't, we had been standing there for like 10 minutes...your concession lines are crazy slow btw) and other fans jumped on him real quick.

that was kind of our take on it as well, vegas is so tourist friendly, it's just a way of life.

yeah our concessions are stupid slow. have been all year and you should have seen it when all the card machines stopped working one game. you think that would have kind of sped things up, but it made it way worse. luckily for me, my season tickets are in section 7 where basically at the top of the stairs, the restrooms are there to the left with concessions right next to that. normally when the end of period horn goes off,i can make it to the restroom and grab a beer and snack with about half the intermission to go.

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
yeah our concessions are stupid slow. have been all year and you should have seen it when all the card machines stopped working one game. you think that would have kind of sped things up, but it made it way worse. luckily for me, my season tickets are in section 7 where basically at the top of the stairs, the restrooms are there to the left with concessions right next to that. normally when the end of period horn goes off,i can make it to the restroom and grab a beer and snack with about half the intermission to go.

ha, similar with my jets tix, lower bowl right by an entrance, ideal for intermissions.

yeah I couldn't figure out the slow lines. we were hitting up one of the concession stands set up kinda like a bar, with some taps and spirits, etc. maybe those are slower because of people getting mix drinks and stuff? we'd just order beers and get processed pretty quick, wasn't really paying attention to what other people were doing but 1st intermission we were late to the 2nd period and the next we barely made it, no bathroom break, no food, just the beer line

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
interesting articles on the vegas sports books:

Knights could be biggest futures loss in history

Vegas bookmakers don't care

Interesting how hockey betting is up 35% this year....was not expecting that kind of increase.

Ironic that the Knights have this whole thing where nobody believes in them, prove everyone wrong, and Vegas has consistently put them as underdogs on the books.

And the Vegas books haven't had a losing month since July 2013?!

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Caps bringing everything from the Ovechkin era playoff teams to the finals, which means everyone is going to be entertained the next couple weeks...

Controversial calls, lucky bounces changing momentum, amazing goal-tending when a team is being completely outplayed, close close games.

jrvegeeta

Silly bitch, your weapons can't harm me...
Welcome to my life living in Florida, haha. Its very rare for me to even have a conversation in person with people that have a great understanding of the sport, but when they do its pretty awesome. My coworker basically told me all he knows is that Ovechkin is a beast and Crosby seems like the Lebron of the sport, cause people that like hockey always hate on him on facebook and call him a crybaby/whiner. To me that is slightly above average knowledge for people that fall into every day interaction (average would probably fall around knowing 5 teams).

One of my cousins went into the Air Force and came out of it a huge Pens fan, I dunno how or why. He was in town a few weeks ago so I watched the Pens/Flyers with him and that was the first time in a long time I could actually talk about trades and player movement in person with someone in like 3+ years.

Now that Vegas is national news getting attention I'm getting questions about how they got a good team in one year and people start with theories like they bought another team and moved them to Vegas or that they just signed everyone as a Free Agent and are paying more then other teams offered. Then I start explaining the draft process and people are like holy shit why did they not take Ovechkin from the Caps if they got one player from every team. Then I explain the protection process and they're like oh so they didn't get any star players at all, then I point out that some teams couldn't protect stars such as the Pens with their goalies...sigh.

I feel for you. Hell, it goes even further for me since I’m likely the only black guy in the area that loves hockey just as much as football. People in Tampa love the Bolts, but in Jacksonville, it’s a bit hard to come by (although there is some decent interest in ECHL’s Icemen team here).

I agree with how you explained Vegas getting good so fast. Simply put, some teams had no real choice but to give up a good player. Marchessault is a good example - I never thought the Panthers would expose him, but we saw how that went...

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
I feel for you. Hell, it goes even further for me since I’m likely the only black guy in the area that loves hockey just as much as football. People in Tampa love the Bolts, but in Jacksonville, it’s a bit hard to come by (although there is some decent interest in ECHL’s Icemen team here).

I agree with how you explained Vegas getting good so fast. Simply put, some teams had no real choice but to give up a good player. Marchessault is a good example - I never thought the Panthers would expose him, but we saw how that went...

Yeah Tampa finally has become a really good place for hockey fans with the new ownership. Have family down there so I've been to maybe a dozen games over the last 20 or so years, probably a few more then that. It's been nice to see the transformation and what a caring ownership group can do to bring in a fan base. I kind of feel like Vegas will have that but it still takes time. Then again the first time the Bolts were good the Bucs were also very good and the city had waited a long time for that so it got a bit overshadowed, and then the lockout and cap kind of split up the team.

I'm honestly so used to watching hockey by myself at this point that I think I wouldn't know what to do watching a Caps game with another fan that liked/knew as much about the team as me.Though judging by most of the fanbase on the internet I'm not sure I'd want to...well maybe Mia. ;)

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Yeah Holby was definitely the difference maker in another tight game

Made a few big saves and limited his rebounds which he’s had problems with previously

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Well Kuznetsov being back had a much bigger impact then I thought it would. However, I'd give 1st star to Niskanen, he was amazing tonight. Beagle was the 2nd star for me.

We won a game in which MAF played really well, thought we're have to do that at least once to take the series, probably twice. He's gone on lock down mode late in series against us before (and against other teams as well, especially against Detroit in 09), so Holtby is going to have to match him as the series goes on.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Yeah I thought both goalies were very good yesterday (besides Holtby's fuckup lol). I think it was the first game of the series that one team has dominated the game for the most part. Also Shea Theodore having a massive shocker of a game with two of the goals being directly from turnovers he gave up and Fleury additionally had to take a tripping penalty because he let a breakaway happen. He's had a solid year for a young guy but that's a really bad game on the biggest stage. Also nice to Kuz back on the ice

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
The year Rocket's name comes off, the one that has won the trophy named after him the most gets put on.