vornoff

Mother Canucker
Mar 21, 2001
gudbranson is so bad.

pearson has lost some of the luster he had in LA but we have no reliable wingers beyond boeser, so worth a shot i guess. my hope is best case scenario he can duplicate what baertschi did before his career was put in jeopardy. worst case scenario, he's another overpaid, underperforming forward. nothing new.

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Rutherford needs to be put into a home....

Jack Johnson signing in the offseason and now trading for Gudbranson....what a moron. Vancouver probably couldn't make that trade fast enough. He still has term beyond this season.....signed at $4M/per thru 2020-21. What in the world is he doing? Between him and Johnson, 7.25M of cap wasteland that is likely untradeable.

Several names floating out there, would have been upgrades....but he decides to make the team even worse. How? Why?

Essentially everyone got better around them, he sees this, and does that...I'm in disbelief.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
It was a real nice run the Penguins had.
Thought they had another 3-4 year window. That seems firmly closed at the moment.

What blows my mind is he was trying to re-acquire Hagelin last week, even though that isn't allowed due to them retaining when they traded him to LA. The old man finally lost it. It's like he forgot how he rebuilt the team in 2016, it's really bizarre.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
D0R4M_tXgAU3F4B.png

Sorry had to post it.

Actually I'm not that into the Pens making bad trades, I like it when they are in the playoffs and are good cause it means there will be a series worth watching, even if I'm rooting against them.

It will be odd if they're the one in the top 9 to fall out....but I'm still not comfortable with the Caps positioning in the standings so I'll just have to worry about that for now.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Rutherford got pissy that Pens fans were being mean to Jack Johnson for being a goddamned liability every time he's on the ice...so he fixes that by going after one of maybe two worse defenders in the league to deflect.

Perfect logic.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I don't hate the two moves the Bruins made (getting Coyle and MoJo) but I'm kinda disappointed we didn't go after Simmons if that was the price he was traded for.

I'm kinda happy we didn't part with our 1st though.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Crosby is going to carry the Penguins into the playoffs whether their defense likes it or not.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Yeah I got home last night and saw the aftermath and then the posts from Leaf fans about the "rag it! rag it! rag it!" and listened a few times and realized they were right. Though I can't lie, just reading their theory about rag it seemed so unlikely. Poor Reilly. I saw a post on reddit saying he's actually been an active supporter of You Can Play. Internet witch hunts got out of control years ago and its only getting worse.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
Early returns, but I may owe Jim Rutherford an apology for the Gudbranson trade reaction. :^O Bizarrely, he and Marcus Pettersson paired together has been really, really good.

I've seen Ron Hainsey play on the first unit of a championship team, so I'll never rule anything out ever again...but Gudbranson looking like a completely different player was not a bet I'd have made. I doubt he'll play this well consistently, but I legitimately didn't even know he was capable of this level of competency. At least he's showing he's capable of earning that cap hit.

I can see a scenario in which this baffling Penguins defensive unit works and the Pens go deeper than expected...and I can see a scenario in which half of the defense is cold at once and we see something akin to that 2012 Flyers series again.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Hey, look who’s leading the whole league in plus/minus right now.

Why it’s Ron Hainsey!

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Caps and Lightning are going to play for this first time all season this weekend. Mini playoffs prep for both teams but Washington has seeding on the line, while Tampa has the revenge/playoff prep motivation, the other two games are on the 20th and the 30th.

This used to be a thing every year with the Caps/Pens having like 4 of 5 meetings post all-stars, I guess even the NHL schedule maker feels the spring matchup between the two teams got over saturated and traded the Pens for the Bolts.

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
Our first match up is locked in: Sharks/ Knights.

Two teams struggling at the end of the season.

Last edited:

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
lol. Toronto-Boston has been standing at 99.7 - 99.8% likely for like weeks now but Toronto hasn’t been able to officially shut the door because they keep losing to bottom feeders.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Toronto Boston in the first round is now finally official. Seeding isn’t locked yet but they’ll be 2 and 3 in some order.

D

Deleted member 4121907

Original poster
Vegas/Sharks and Leafs/Bruins are two great series already

whatever the 2 vs 3 seed in the central ends up being should be great too

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
I mean the only series that looks like it will not be a great series is whoever Tampa plays (unless it ends up being Pittsburgh somehow). I feel like they're just too good, maybe if Columbus gets the goaltending it never got in the past. I can't see Montreal or Carolina being able to make a series of it against Tampa and I don't think either of them play a brand that is exciting enough to make the games a big draw even as they lose, which I think Colorado can do against the Flames.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
So many teams are just left playing for seeding in the CF/SCF. I dunno if teams even think of things like that too much though and just focus on maybe preparing/resting up for playoffs. Right now CGY basically is completely locked in seeding for everything EXCEPT in a potential finals matchup against the Bruins.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Crosby's 100th point set up Guentzel's 40th goal to push OT and secure 3rd in the metro.

Pens finish with the 6th most points in the league and barely make the playoffs. lol

Last edited:

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm going to laugh my ass off if that 4th rounder was just traded again.

For those with intense wonderment about the fate of a single fourth round draft pick: It was traded yet again at the draft. Ultimately Columbus took Eric Hjorth with the 104th pick (from Minnesota via Arizona via Pittsburgh via Dallas via Pittsburgh and Florida).