squallface

Star
Oct 8, 2001
Also what some fail to realize, for some strange odd reason I still can't fathom, Bruce Lee is a father of the MMA.
So,
Mark Coleman is the grandfather of Ground n Pound, and he couldn't hold his own.
Bruce lee has a lot on people in theory, but in practice?

AndyDavy

Noob
Oct 21, 2015
Lee's display of skill--especially his speed--vaunted training regimen, along with the testimonials of other great fighters (Ali, Lewis) and students, paint a picture of someone more than capable of dispatching a competitor.

That said, his ahead-of-the-times training and conditioning methods are common among elite professional fighters now so those factors--trailblazing as they were--are slightly negated.

In a way I compare him to Brock Lesnar. Many looked at Lesnar's amateur accomplishments and pro-wrestling career (which is essentially a demonstration akin to Lee's classes and film roles) and thought "What an amazing specimen. He would make an incredible fighter!"

And while he won Heavyweight Title, his fights depended more on his raw skills and talent, not professional technique. When Brock went up against fighters of equal size, strength, and years of professional fighting experience he got knocked out fairly quickly without much resistance.

As much as I revere Lee's skill and cultural legacy, I'd wager he'd break even against elite professional fighters of his class or maybe even slightly below.

Mike Tyson said it best, "Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

Sep 12, 2013
We'll never know, what if he actually kicked ass though? Is it so serious that a man be number one in fighting? It's only sustained for a moment, that limelight goes fast. Look at Tyson in his prime then and now... We all can prove capable with a good heart, and diligent practice to be a fighter. Talent plays a role, but even that can blind someone from their potential.

Flyincloud

Noob
Nov 27, 2009
Why did I even make a thread when I knew people weren't smart enough to understand it? I'm not interested in what you've seen of him in movies or exhibitions. I'm not interested in quotes from those who knew him. I'm not interested in the rumors of him fighting. What proof is there that he was a great "FIGHTER"? None, really. Put him up against any current fighter in the UFC and I'd take the actual fighter every time. He's proven he can fight.

This is typical Joe Rogan UFC fan stuff... How many times have we all heard Joe Rogan bad mouth martial artist's moves by saying they would never work in a real fight? Then we see UFC fighters get knocked out with spinning tornado kicks, or kicks from guys jumping and springing off the cage, something that looks straight out of an action movie. To know how good of a martial artists and fighter someone is, you simply have to watch someone's form. It's all about how someone moves, fluidity, whole body movements. You can tell by watching Bruce Lee's form in his movies and training video's that he possessed exceptional skills. Watch how Bruce Lee punched and kicked, then compare that to the way someone like Chuck Norris punched and kicked, there's a VAST difference. And Bruce Lee did have real life fights, there's actually an account of him getting into a fight on set at one of his movies that was filmed over seas. Just because we don't have fox television footage of his actual fights doesn't mean you can dismiss Bruce Lee. Just compare the forms and style of the guys in the UFC to stuff Bruce Lee did. In most UFC fights I've seen you can tell seconds into a fight who's going to win just by the way they move. It's all about stance and form. Every once in a while a lesser skilled fighter wins because of a lucky shot or something, but most of the time the fighter who has noticeably better form wins the fight. And that's why most people believe Bruce Lee would defeat just about anybody. He CREATED HIS OWN MARTIAL ARTS STYLE AND PHILOSOPHY, He had incredible form, and the training he did was out of this world.

Excellent POST!

Last edited:

Flyincloud

Noob
Nov 27, 2009
What is a fighter? Real world fighter? Boxing ring? Octagon? These are all different things. If you over generalize a definition and then claim bruce lee isn't a fighter i would honestly like to see your logic behind that. I doubt an mma fighter is gonna go tow to tow with someone trained with a bo staff and win. In the context of bruce lee's philosophy its no rules. His philosophy is more of surviving real world confrontations and outright destroying the other person. Not lets dance around this ring scoring points. Or lets see who can last longer until the other person submits. His is geared towards someone trying to take your life from you and using any means. And infact adopting a flexible approach and not adhering to any idealogy and instead taking what you can from any and adopting a formless and adaptable mindset. And i would beg to differ that just because mma guys train in many different things that they are thus great at all of those things. Infact bruce lee says that he isn't scared of the person who practices 1000 different things 1 time. But fears the man who practices 1 thing 1000 times. Thats where i believe and see that bruce would have advantage. A much higher level of finesse and facility. More specialized while borrowing a few tools from other disciplines.

See you have the mma fanboy mentality. Nothing else compares. One does not take from the other and im sure bruce would stomp most in the real world and im also sure that most mma fighters would hold their own. We need less fanboys who create division though

Another great post.

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert
No. They aren't "great" posts. They ignore things like "facts" and use exceptions as the rule. Of course you'll see people getting knocked out by spinning back kicks and other moves that look like they're "straight out of an action movie". It's MIXED MARTIAL ARTS... They use various techniques from several different disciplines to fight. I understand fully that this was Bruce Lee's ideology as it pertained to fighting, but my point was there is nothing that actually shows him as being an elite fighter or a fighter at all. He might have been had he done it, yes, but there's nothing to actually show for it. And no, taking your or anyone else's "word" for it doesn't count. I think I appreciate Bruce Lee more than anyone else here because I understand fighting for what it is. My perception of it is grounded in reality and not in an idolatry view of an actor with a martial arts background.

Paladinrja

Super Star
Dec 22, 2006
Australia
I think the thing about Bruce Lee was that people got a lot more from his explosive energy than his actual fighting style implied. Ultimately, Jeet Kun Do was developed as a summary of all his experiences which did apparently involve street fighting or what is called 'Jiang Hu' kinda like a saying those outside the law who do whatever the hell they want. Including fight among themselves, etc. Of course this also attracts more criminal organizations, but its no more sinister than taking up a street fight competition, only to find out years later the organizers are mafioso's. Apparently, before Bruce Lee became a huge star, he was a regular participant.

His own formal beginnings (looking at kung fu style) is steeped in Wing chun. Which is essentially hard boxing style 'street fighting' (where it began) thats been developed with soft style for personal health via the Shaolin teachings that innovated a lot of styles as they moved with the armies of the Tang dynasty in a capacity, kind of like a support/police force under Emperors decree. Shaolin had an extraordinary commune socially, so it was a natural choice for the Emperor if not exactly what Shaolin would have liked.

This was mostly because Jiang Hu did cause quite a bit of social disruption, especially in Southern China and of course, there has since been all this ambiguity surrounding Southern and Northern Shaolin. It was just Shaolin and more than once, large strongholds in Southern China were razed, due to the Shaolin presence there. Wuxia fundamentalists whom didn't like interferance, were rumoured to be developing greater and greater styles and there was also all this reinvention of mythological styles circulating throughout the Jiang Hu world. Today wuxia is represented by the many martial arts movies that people can take part in; in ancient China being part of it meant taking an active role and of course thats still a big part of it today.

What Bruce Lee seems to have done is take Wing Chun and apply Dragon style from the Shaolin Five animal technique which is a formulation of a 280+ moveset encompassing 3 levels of ascension (difficult to master) and incorporates speed, power and strength along with intrinsic health and well being disciplines; and then Brune Lee innovated it for himself, with more freestyle military application like Tae Kwon Do which he could offer externally for sport/self defense.

There are many stories that recite the exact path of Bruce Lee was said to have taken resulting in Jeet Kun Do and for the sport fighter thats fine. However his style is steeped in the traditional Kung Fu and thats probably wise when offering a martial art as a product (especially to the west) not to get bogged down in the deeper disciplines as most people are inducted under a need for self defense not really a lifelong set of mental and spiritual disciplines that most likley even Bruce Lee was still largely practicing.

There is no doubt about his fighting background however. He was quite a popular street fighter that like most dedicated marital arts practioners in China, was easily lured into the Jiang Hu world of wuxia. Once you feel you have a good grasp of the essencial nature of Kung Fu, almost anything can be Kung Fu.

Oct 25, 2016
Why is he so significant, because he was a tiny man that possessed so much power and had very snappy speed. I love Cassius Clay as a pro fighter. Don't dare disqualify Bruce Lee because he chose an acting career instead of a pro fighting career. To think he is not a fighter because he never fought anyone you know is silly.
LOLZ. Let's apply that logic to virtually anything else in life, any profession or artistic pursuit, "To think he is not a good sculptor because he's never sculpted anything in his life, is, you know, just silly."

Facts aside,

Yeah, let's ignore those pesky, inconvenient facts...... who needs em'?

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert
Why is he so significant, because he was a tiny man that possessed so much power and had very snappy speed. I love Cassius Clay as a pro fighter. Don't dare disqualify Bruce Lee because he chose an acting career instead of a pro fighting career. To think he is not a fighter because he never fought anyone you know is silly.
LOLZ. Let's apply that logic to virtually anything else in life, any profession or artistic pursuit, "To think he is not a good sculptor because he's never sculpted anything in his life, is, you know, just silly."

Facts aside,

Excellent first post.

Sep 12, 2013

Facts aside,

Your application of logic is mathematical almost, applying that a (known fighter) + b (known fighter) = c (victory over said opponent is almost logical because we have career profile vs profile), if a is (an unknown fighter) + b (known fighter) = c (the victor becomes unknown). Train up the unknown fighter in the methods of the known fighter and pit them against each other. There will eventually rise up, someone who is able to best the best. The future is unknown, to say, this person cannot beat that person, even with facts, it is fictional almost. Imaginary, because the two have never fought. You have actually added more truth to what I have already expressed.

If you were to consider every person known to man, on a whole; and if you were to resurrect the Roman Colosseum, full of gladiators, barbarians and unknowns, from A.D. 70-72. You can throw all these known fighters, with unknown fighters and have them become seasoned to win, with rules or without rules of engagement. The victory would not always tip in anyone's favor just because you know who is skilled. You can pit a UFC fighter vs a boxer. In different arenas, the rules will change the outcome. The fighter with an excellent profile you know should win, will not always be the victor. It all can be scrambled due to rules in respect of the sport. The boxer may win in the boxing ring, but not necessarily in a UFC match.

To think he is not a good sculptor and you have no idea what he is capable of. That type of dismissive thinking sounds like, personal biased opinions. The facts can change if that person were interested in this or that subject, separating the talented from the trained, hardworking types. You cannot determine anything based around that reasoning. Michael Angelo is not Leonardo DaVinci, but they both have been schooled in their occupations. Who taught them? Who tapped into their abilities?

In truth, there are many great fighters that are unknown and retain no spotlight. Who knows their success after unlocking their potential in training and selective coaching. All the facts actually point toward Bruce Lee dying at a young age. You are biased. It should not bother you that I believe in Bruce Lee's fighting prowess. That is my personal opinion. Had he lived, we could continue discussing facts to support this against other said facts, yet we are unable to say anything factual, except what we believe. If Bruce Lee were a UFC fighter, who would be his trainer or coach? We never will know, much the same his fighting career and profile is a picture on an empty canvas, forever unframed. RIP!

Last edited:

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert

Facts aside,

Your application of logic is mathematical almost, applying that a (known fighter) + b (known fighter) = c (victory over said opponent is almost logical because we have career profile vs profile), if a is (an unknown fighter) + b (known fighter) = c (the victor becomes unknown). Train up the unknown fighter in the methods of the known fighter and pit them against each other. There will eventually rise up, someone who is able to best the best. The future is unknown, to say, this person cannot beat that person, even with facts, it is fictional almost. Imaginary, because the two have never fought. You have actually added more truth to what I have already expressed.

If you were to consider every person known to man, on a whole; and if you were to resurrect the Roman Colosseum, full of gladiators, barbarians and unknowns, from A.D. 70-72. You can throw all these known fighters, with unknown fighters and have them become seasoned to win, with rules or without rules of engagement. The victory would not always tip in anyone's favor just because you know who is skilled. You can pit a UFC fighter vs a boxer. In different arenas, the rules will change the outcome. The fighter with an excellent profile you know should win, will not always be the victor. It all can be scrambled due to rules in respect of the sport. The boxer may win in the boxing ring, but not necessarily in a UFC match.

To think he is not a good sculptor and you have no idea what he is capable of. That type of dismissive thinking sounds like, personal biased opinions. The facts can change if that person were interested in this or that subject, separating the talented from the trained, hardworking types. You cannot determine anything based around that reasoning. Michael Angelo is not Leonardo DaVinci, but they both have been schooled in their occupations. Who taught them? Who tapped into their abilities?

In truth, there are many great fighters that are unknown and retain no spotlight. Who knows their success after unlocking their potential in training and selective coaching. All the facts actually point toward Bruce Lee dying at a young age. You are biased. It should not bother you that I believe in Bruce Lee's fighting prowess. That is my personal opinion. Had he lived, we could continue discussing facts to support this against other said facts, yet we are unable to say anything factual, except what we believe. If Bruce Lee were a UFC fighter, who would be his trainer or coach? We never will know, much the same his fighting career and profile is a picture on an empty canvas, forever unframed. RIP!
Yes, but we're talking evidence vs conjecture. Speculation vs information. If he were to have trained and fought in MMA, would he have been a good fighter? Sure. Maybe. I dunno. But to be so certain when there's so little to go by is silly. It's moot unless you actually seen him fight. I've seen PLENTY of fighters who look fantastic sparring and training. They even talk intelligently and show they have a very high fight IQ on paper. But when it comes time to actually fight, they leave much to be desired. This is all as ridiculous and speculative as suggesting that I'd be good at F1 racing because I drive to and from work like a maniac. Leave it alone and let it go. He was an actor with some technical martial arts talent and ability. Not a fighter.

Sep 12, 2013
Nothing new here, and your barely presenting anything of merit. To be so certain? Is a choice, and many people place bet's on fights based around the one they believe in. You like evidence, and hate speculations. That's fine, I also did you a favor not going into non-existent facts, but scenarios instead. This guy is dead, he is the topic right? I'm not against your nonsense either. Reread, because your overlooking the point. It's obvious you didn't read. In the mix of what I shared, which I mention taking necessary steps to becoming a professional fighter. Training, and coaching the unknown fighter (Bruce Lee, who has no fighting career). Once that has transpired pit him versus whoever is highly regarded.

Now what's this going on about sculpting and now F1 racing? These points have no real relation to fighting, now who's being ridiculous? We are talking about a dead person. You bring up dry points and professions like racing, or your friend's example behind sculpting. I took sculpting and helped your friend relate it to fighting. It's obvious that I mentioned several times, that whatever the profession. There is always a teacher behind that person, a coach, and training is involved. There is a journey to becoming professional, and those who have mastered many skills become legendary. I never once shared that anyone can be a champion, but your so driven in bias to speak against someone that you bring up nonsense like your F1 racing example.

What bothers you? That I believe Bruce Lee is a great fighter, despite him choosing to be an actor probably for money. You leave much to be desired with your reply. Let what go again? Your true to your own opinion, I'm true to mines.

Last edited:

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert
Nothing new here, and your barely presenting anything of merit. To be so certain? Is a choice, and many people place bet's on fights based around the one they believe in. You like evidence, and hate speculations. That's fine, I also did you a favor not going into non-existent facts, but scenarios instead. This guy is dead, he is the topic right? I'm not against your nonsense either. Reread, because your overlooking the point. It's obvious you didn't read. In the mix of what I shared, which I mention taking necessary steps to becoming a professional fighter. Training, and coaching the unknown fighter (Bruce Lee, who has no fighting career). Once that has transpired pit him versus whoever is highly regarded.

Now what's this going on about sculpting and now F1 racing? These points have no real relation to fighting, now who's being ridiculous? We are talking about a dead person. You bring up dry points and professions like racing, or your friend's example behind sculpting. I took sculpting and helped your friend relate it to fighting. It's obvious that I mentioned several times, that whatever the profession. There is always a teacher behind that person, a coach, and training is involved. There is a journey to becoming professional, and those who have mastered many skills become legendary. I never once shared that anyone can be a champion, but your so driven in bias to speak against someone that you bring up nonsense like your F1 racing example.

What bothers you? That I believe Bruce Lee is a great fighter, despite him choosing to be an actor probably for money. You leave much to be desired with your reply. Let what go again? Your true to your own opinion, I'm true to mines.
But I'm not talking about opinion. Bruce Lee was not a professional (or even amateur) fighter. Displaying choreographed martial arts maneuvers in film isn't enough for me to believe he'd stand any more of a chance in fighting than your average athletic NFL player. I'm not bothered by anything about you. I'm just trying to help your brain get back on a logical track. That's all. Bruce Lee was a fruitcake actor with zero fighting experience.

Aug 31, 2017
bruce lee's dead, it's all conjecture at this point. there's no direct evidence he'd even be a passable amateur fighter, just as there's no direct evidence he wouldn't wipe the floor with every champeen fighter in history in any discipline. and it doesn't matter either way, except that it can get annoying when people take it seriously.

"isn't enough for me to believe"
is a direct admission that, at least on a subconscious level, the op understands it's all opinion and speculation.

to answer 'wtf is with people and bruce lee?', is easy: they're talking about the myth, not the man. bruce lee has a huge mythos behind him. it's just like 'chuck norris facts', but often without the humorous intent. i've seen people legitiamtely question whether hulk hogan could 'beat' john cena, and that's not even real fighting. it may be annoying, but it's normal for people to inflate their idols.

here's a blog entry that touches on that, from a former bruce lee mythophile: https://shootafairone.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/bruce-lee-–-myth-vs-fact/

here's an in-depth article on bruce lee's fight with wong jack man, touching on his fight with yoichi nakachi: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/bruce-lee-vs-wong-jack-man-fact-fiction-and-the-birth-of-the-dragon

here's a blog entry that attempts to answer the 'bruce lee vs chuck norris' debate 'definitively', including what's known about both men's fight experience and martial arts training: https://withoutwriting.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/bruce-lee-vs-chuck-norris-the-real-truth/

FearTheSponge

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 23, 2014
He's a sub par martial artist actor, you want the best martial artists and you look at people like Miyamoto Musashi, Samart Payakaroon, Saenchai, etc etc

ritheus

Noob
Nov 29, 2017
But I'm not talking about opinion. Bruce Lee was not a professional (or even amateur) fighter. Displaying choreographed martial arts maneuvers in film isn't enough for me to believe he'd stand any more of a chance in fighting than your average athletic NFL player. I'm not bothered by anything about you. I'm just trying to help your brain get back on a logical track. That's all. Bruce Lee was a fruitcake actor with zero fighting experience.
To go as far as to say that he had ZERO fighting experience is false, I agree with you for everything else you’ve said but not with this point, you are just like the others when you say that he wasn’t a fighter at all, only they say he was the best, there’s just no evidence.

Nov 11, 2011
Bruce Lee taught people his style before he died. As much as I love boxing, you have to come to realise it's a sport and not a self defense course. Would Bruce Lee score any points in a traditional gloves-on boxing match versus Ali? Probably not, because he doesn't practise boxing. That's not to say he wouldn't win in a cage match, but since when is that a measure of good skill? Boxing is a gentleman's sport - but remember, Mohammed Ali was found by knocking out a street punk that tried to steal his bike. So he definitely had the raw power, but because of the way Martial arts is designed to use an opponent's strength and size against them I would have to say Bruce Lee would win gloves down, but Ali would get the technical fault.

PSN-OrangeFeffy

No Longer a Noob
Apr 30, 2012
Arizona
Bruce Lee taught people his style before he died. As much as I love boxing, you have to come to realise it's a sport and not a self defense course. Would Bruce Lee score any points in a traditional gloves-on boxing match versus Ali? Probably not, because he doesn't practise boxing. That's not to say he wouldn't win in a cage match, but since when is that a measure of good skill? Boxing is a gentleman's sport - but remember, Mohammed Ali was found by knocking out a street punk that tried to steal his bike. So he definitely had the raw power, but because of the way Martial arts is designed to use an opponent's strength and size against them I would have to say Bruce Lee would win gloves down, but Ali would get the technical fault.

What the fuck did I just read...

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert

What the fuck did I just read...
I believe they call it "drivel".