Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1054292p1.html]Tony Hawk Ride Beats The Odds[/link]
by David Clayman

Summary:
Last month Tony Hawk Ride sought to revitalize the series by introducing a unique skateboard peripheral. Since its release the critical response has been mixed at best, but the sales numbers tell a different story. [link=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1054292p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

mr_pops238

This is good...isn't it?
Aug 23, 2004
Canada
And a couple weeks from now Ebgames/gamestop will record a high number return rate and will refuse to take any more plastic skateboards leaving many unhappy gamers stuck with their terrible game.

May 22, 2007
Not quite seeing this as a win for Tony. If you're on 3 platforms, and you can't outsell a game that's a year and a half old, Mario Kart Wii, for 10th place on the NPD list, explain to me how this is a win.

114k ain't bad, if the game was on one platform, but come on.

Two of the platforms that Tony's on are one and done systems, PS3 and 360, so maybe there's a chance that the expanded crowd of the Wii takes this game up and makes it a Guitar Hero 3, where the game sells like this well into next year, but I'm just not seeing it.

HavocTMA

Noob
Apr 16, 2001
@mr_pops238 and if people don't return the game then Activision won't learn the valuable lesson of not putting garbageware on the shelf. It's quite unfortunate.

Willy105

No Longer a Noob
Jul 6, 2006
Ha!

It's unbelievable Activision will use this terrible game as a return to form, and worse, that we have to use that dumb board instead of the balance board.

Dec 7, 2008
Ehh. Crap like this sells hundreds of thousands while good games like Dead Space: Extraction get shafted by the public. I hate stupid consumers.

Oct 16, 2009
Did Activision pay you to spin it as 'respectable'?? In what twisted world is 114,000 units sold across 3 platforms for a major franchise release 'respectable'?

here's a REAL article about the game sales:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/10/npd-only-114k-took-a-tony-hawk-ride-in-november/

Grey_Ryuk

Noob
Dec 1, 2009
i really want to know who is buying this. i mean really? $120 for a freaking half-assed skateboard. might as well buy a DS. f'n morons.

Oct 19, 2009
You know why this is selling? Christmas is coming... Same idea as the Wii (people who know f**k all about gaming will buy this for there kids) Whereas anyone who wants to play a GOOD skateboarding game will go get Skate 2.

Aug 21, 2008
Only people that are extremely casual gamers or family members/friends that are trying to find a unique gift are buying this poor excuse for a video game. The only reason why anybody would ever buy this is because of the success and general good opinion about motion controls now that the Wii has taken over the casual gamers.

r0bers0n

Noob
Aug 22, 2005
Ride was a bad idea all around! Skate has took over. The only reason it sold so well is because of the parents/grandparents who don't know any better.

yamatoDX

Noob
May 29, 2009
With 120 bux you can buy:

PS3:
Assassins Creed II + Modern Warfare 2

360:
Modern Warfare 2 + Forza 3

Wii:
New Super Mario Bros Wii + Sillent Hill Shattered Memories

What te heck are thinking the guys who buy this game... oh i remember, Tony Its talikng to them on Multiplayer (360) because hes alone on it... Or, Play with your mii on the Wii, or Get a Trophy of how to control a broken controller (PS3)...

ORIONSAINT

Noob
Oct 25, 2002
I'll be very blunt. I want Ride to fail in the worst possible way! I honestly don't want motion controls to catch on and if this had succeeded. It would helped along the whole motion control craze. Which I'm against.

ORIONSAINT

Noob
Oct 25, 2002
You know who bought Ride right? It's the uninformed gamer. The little kids. Mommy buy me a game, whaaa! I don't look at reviews. I just look at the box art and make an impulse purchase. The rest who bought are rich people, who can afford to lose $120.

daveyclay

Insi<I>durr</I>
Apr 30, 2001
114k is plenty considering the price. If you look at pure revenue it puts THR pretty high on the list of money makers for the month. Sure there is R&D to think of, but you did get plenty of consumers to spend double what they'd normally pay for a game.

E

english43

Original poster
- ride sucks

That doesn't mean motion sucks, I like motion plus and I'm not going to gtfo, so why don't you gfy?

JimmyEvil

Noob
Nov 30, 2009
It's quite possible that people with the money to spare just want to try the thing for themselves. I mean, why judge until you've actually played it? I haven't seen any stores with an in-store demo. Bad or not, it's still a curiousity and one that holds interesting ideas for the future.

JimmyEvil

Noob
Nov 30, 2009
It's quite possible that people with the money to spare just want to try the thing for themselves. I mean, why judge until you've actually played it? I haven't seen any stores with an in-store demo. Bad or not, it's still a curiousity and one that holds interesting ideas for the future.

Apr 9, 2006
$13.7 million gross, roughly, of which Activision keeps around 30-35%. So $5million goes back into the piggy bank, not counting whatever they got from licensing deals. It's not a hit by any stretch, but they could actually squeak out some profit, especially with another holiday month and the strong lure of buying something with a peripheral..

Oct 24, 2009
Casual gamers are idiots.

If they had released this game as a Wii balance board game it would have done much better critically probably but they wouldn't have sold as many to stupid schmucks who don't read gaming sites or forums.

taeguek

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 24, 2008
I don't know if I would call that a success. Many more people spend that kind of money on Guitar Hero and Rock Band year after year. If it had sold half a million at that price, I would say they beat the odds. But 114,000 really isn't that impressive, especially compared to Activisions other peripheral heavy series.

Cheeseknight28

Prime Member
Aug 28, 2004
I weep for the gaming industry when sh!t like this sells and games like No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Valkyria, and GTA Chinatown Wars are left to the dust.

Oct 24, 2009
"I weep for the gaming industry when sh!t like this sells and games like No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Valkyria, and GTA Chinatown Wars are left to the dust." Cheeseknight28

QFT

shintopig

Noob
Dec 9, 2006
I don't understand why they felt they had to make a peripheral. It just isn't needed and it detracts from the whole point of playing a game. Skateboarding is common and doable, video game skateboarding games should help us to be able to do what we can't with skateboards and do the unreal/imaginary. The periferal grounds the audience to the real world unnecessarily and restricts the players imagination mind from running free within the gaming world.

dom_osx

I like Macs.
Sep 18, 2007
brooklyn
I think the peripheral will stick around and they're just gonna get a legit development team to work with it.

Spitefulxenos

Prime Member
Jun 1, 2008
"I weep for the gaming industry when sh!t like this sells and games like No More Heroes, Trauma Center, Valkyria, and GTA Chinatown Wars are left to the dust."
seconded... people need to stop being useless sheep...

Dec 10, 2009
the Tony hawk games were cool back on ps1 & 2, but after that they pretty much sucked. Besides, skating was only cool in Jr. High

BadAssBurtReynolds

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 5, 2004
At this point all we can do is wait for part 2 to come out and judge the series then. People are obviously interested in this concept.
If the 2nd game can be solid, we're dealing with an official fresh start to this franchise.

Dec 19, 2007
115,000 units across three platforms is good? I put quite a different spin on that on my blog. I mean, even Proving Ground (previously the worst in the series) did better numbers than that out of the gate. And the sales of Ride will do nothing but slow as word of mouth spreads. I can say I haven't seen a single copy sell at the store where I work.

B

BigBacon87

Original poster
Those numbers aren't very impressive but Im still suprised how high they are. Little kids might dig it but there are going to be alot of unimpressed teens come Christmas morning.

Skyler193

Prime Member
Nov 11, 2002
Well, it's a start. I do have to agree though, 114k across 3 console platforms is pretty bad. A multiplatform game should sell better than that.

So why didn't it? The retail price is a bit too much. I've said for awhile that I think that TH:Ride would have sold better at $99. Blame the retail price on greedy Activision. The second problem is timing. TH:Ride was released at a horrible time. The busy week of 11/17. So, I'm not suprised that many consumers missed it or flat out decided not to get it right away, when there were other good games to get that same week. The final problem is the reviews.

Certianly anyone that was unsure about the game and the board wasn't persuaded by all the terrible reviews. I've said this before, but they are tainted reviews based on two things. One is the fact that most reviewers didn't have enough time to get used to the board before writing their review. And getting used to the skateboard peripheral is the key to enjoying the game. And Two, they convinced themselves a long time ago that the Tony Hawk franchise is fading and that the only skating franchise that matters is "Skate". So, based on that perspective, no Tony Hawk game can ever get reviewed fairly.

That not an excuse for the bad sales though. As I said, Activision is partly to blame with the retail price and release date issues being hard barriers for consumers to pass through. Now, can the sales get better? Sure. As the Holidays pass us by, people will have played all the newer games and maybe looking for other games they might have missed the 1st time around.

So, about all I can say is 114K copies arcoss 3 platforms is a start. It's not great, but it at least sold. Of course, Activision already announced a sequel (TH:Ride 2) that yes, will feature the Board. So, the series will continue.

-Hawkfan

Rampart82

Noob
Jun 2, 2009
Hawk's a bitch and a can't even land a kickflip to save his life. I tried this game out at E3 and liked how it kinda felt like standing on a deck with no trucks or wheels. Aside from that the game seemed extremely limited. I couldn't even place my back foot on the tip of the tail since it messed with the tail sensor.

The reviewers were right. I rather just grab my "real" board and go hit the ledge down the street than pay the 120+ for this game.

iamdave57

Noob
Jan 27, 2007
I'm interested in this game but just can't see paying that price... Guess I'll be waiting until next year when its $20 on ebay.