lildeew

Legend status, fuck a Noob
Jun 17, 2003
I look back at 2013’s Wrestle Kingdom and how epic it was…this card doesn’t even come close to that feeling

makoncrayley

The Wildcard
Jul 18, 2008
The top three title matches, the TV title, and Women's title matches are all pretty good, but fucking hell the rest of the card looks shit.

mitamaking

No Longer a Noob
Nov 22, 2013
I think you are sleeping on the tag title match and the Muto bye bye match, which should be nice and emotional.

Honestly, it is a great card with only 3 matches that I don't care about (NEVER, Junior Tag, and Inoki memorial match, which is a memorial match, so yeah)

The main thing I take from it is that by going back to one night we have some pretty big/good, names not on the card.

Putting Shingo, Ishii, Yano (okay he fits), Taichi, KENTA, Cobb, even EVIL, etc. in the RAMBO feels wrong.

RKO-Cutter

Definition of jackass
Aug 18, 2008
Whoah whoah whoah

I get none of them are massive stars or anything, but who's not caring about Akira/TJP vs. Rush/YOH?

That match should be awesome

mitamaking

No Longer a Noob
Nov 22, 2013
Whoah whoah whoah

I get none of them are massive stars or anything, but who's not caring about Akira/TJP vs. Rush/YOH?

That match should be awesome
TJP is a dumbass both in real life and character. I stopped investing in Lio Rush during his last retirement. And poor YOH going for the junior tag belts again feels like a step back. It will probably be good, but that is 3/4 competitors having some sort of baggage with me.

RKO-Cutter

Definition of jackass
Aug 18, 2008
The card for Wrestle Kingdom has been finalized

-IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada
-IWGP United States Championship: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Kenny Omega
-IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado
-Keiji Muto’s Last NJPW Match: Keiji Muto, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Shota Umino vs. Los Ingobernables De Japon (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & BUSHI)
-NEVER Openweight Championship: Karl Anderson (c) vs. Tama Tonga
-NJPW World TV Championship: Ren Narita vs Zack Sabre Jr.
-IWGP Tag Team Championships: FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) (c) vs. Bishamon (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)
-IWGP Women’s Championship: KAIRI (c) vs. Tam Nakano
-IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships: Catch 2/2 (Francesco Akira & TJP) (c) vs. CHAOS (Lio Rush & YOH)
-Antonio Inoki Memorial Match: Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima & Togi Makabe vs. Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Suzuki & Tiger Mask
-KOPW 2023 Qualifier: New Japan Rambo
-Exhibition Match: Boltin Oleg vs. Ryohei Oiwa
Quoting because I'm tired of going back to the last page to check the card

RKO-Cutter

Definition of jackass
Aug 18, 2008
TJP is a dumbass both in real life and character. I stopped investing in Lio Rush during his last retirement. And poor YOH going for the junior tag belts again feels like a step back. It will probably be good, but that is 3/4 competitors having some sort of baggage with me.
Which is funny because it's literally just the fact I really like the stuff I've seen from Akira that makes me excited for it.

Also I get not investing in Rush but I'm not invested in nooj at all anymore, so he's perfectly fine to me to tune in for a one-off

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I basically haven't watched wrestling since October. I'm going to catch-up on Dragongate and Stardom, as those are basically my two go-to promotions.

So I turn to you fine folks to ask this: What I should look at from say October 1 forward in NOAH, NJPW, and whatever other promotions may've had some good shit (BJW, AJPW, DDT, etc)? I have a Cagematch list of matches that the users gave 8.5 or better, but it's pretty light and I know they don't get enough votes for a lot of smaller promotions/smaller shows.

For what it's worth, Diamante and Shun Skywalker vs. Jacky Funky Kamei and Jason Lee from the Ultimo Dragon 35th Anniversary Show is my Match of the Year at this juncture.

TrailBlazerDude

MODerately Terrifying
★ MOD
May 15, 2009
Mercedes Mone looked like a million bucks tonight. Idk wtf that move was, but she looked like a star otherwise. Looking forward to her new journey.

And yes, I subscribed to NJPW World for Mercedes. I wanted to catch WK this year anyway, but she sold it for me.

AWSMan

No Longer "No Longer A Noob"
Sep 30, 2005
Raleigh, NC
TBD watching New Japan PPVs?! WaTTBA.

What kind of accent was she doing? Between that and her hair, it seemed like she was posting someone from the future, but like, not a good one.

mitamaking

No Longer a Noob
Nov 22, 2013
So let us go through the show, first, I did not watch the pre-show, I watched TJPW's show earlier and needed to take a nap between the two to get through the night.

Junior Title Tag Match
Yeah, I just didn't care, I don't care for the competitors, but it was fine I guess. I don't like seeing TJP win anything, also, holy fuck, TJP looks dumb now.

KAIRI vs. Tam Nakano
I liked what was there, but the match was less than 6 minutes long, it was insulting to be honest. Mercedes Moné showing up afterwards was fine, but I think she botched her new finisher. I kind of wish it didn't leak cause that appearance would have broken the internet with no hype.

Tag Title Match
I liked it, but it is sad to see the end of FTR's fantastic belt collector run. I personally don't think they are WWE bound, but I can't see them ever being at this level again, I will just be happy I got to see it. Any Yoshi Hashi win is a win for the world, and it is nice to see Goto get something. Like the match before, I wish it was longer though.

TV Title Match
Third straight match I wish was longer, these two had good chemistry but it is kind of funny the belt with the short time limit had the longest match up to this point.

NEVER Openweight Match
This was better than I was expecting, Karl came to work it seemed and it has been said before, but Tama is a surprisingly good babyface. Now that finish, I don't know who fucked it up, but it kind of ruined what should have been a big ass moment. I was surprised Luke wasn't with Karl too.

Keiji Mutoh's Final NJPW Match
Kind of surprised Mutoh's team won, I was expecting SANADA to beat his former teacher. However, SHOOTER is being sent to the moon soon and I kind of agree with the announcers that he has a shot at main eventing Wrestle Kingdom next year.

Junior Title Match
We are down to the last three matches and they all delivered. I am a bit bummed to see Hiromu won honestly, this match felt like a coming out party for Wato and he more than delivered. I think I want Wato to win BoSJ now and take the belt. I wonder if this is Hiromu's last run with the belt before he becomes a heavyweight, I honestly hope so.

US Title Match
That son of a bitch did it, he finally came out to One Winged Angel. I have in hindsight been waiting for this day since I was first introduced to Kenny. What a fucking entrance, made Kenny feel like the final boss of NJPW he has become. Osprey had a great entrance too, him bringing back his old, better, theme to show the return of the Aerial Assassin and not whatever he has been in his new group was great.

And then the match delivered. These two had a war and wanted to kill each other. I love AEW Kenny, I feel like he is at worst the second best wrestler in the company, but this, this was NJPW Kenny, who is a whole other monster. This was The Best Bout Machine I have been unknowingly missing. Just god, what a performance by him. Then Osprey, he delivered too. I still have a bit of trouble seeing him as a face right now, considering like they said on commentary he tried to kill SHOOTER with his dad as ref and I still believe Kenny is right about what NJPW needs to do to grow.

Then the motherfucking Kamigoye into One Winged Angel, it was perfect, Ibushi has been avenged, love wins. I hope that we see more of Kenny in NJPW and maybe see this Kenny in AEW, even if it might kill him.

IWGP World Title Match
There was never any doubt of the result, the evil foreigner was going to lose to the Japanese star to honor Inoki, but what a good match to get there. Jay White is just so fucking good at the small things in wrestling, maybe even better than Okada at this point. Now, the match did still have the slow start problem all Okada matches do, but once it got going it was great. I liked this match a lot and it was the second best match on the night.

In conclusion, WATCH FUCKING OMEGA/OSPREY as soon as you can. The rest of the card is worth watching too.

lildeew

Legend status, fuck a Noob
Jun 17, 2003
Omega/Ospreay was great but the people who are saying it's the best match ever or even better than any of the Omega/Okada matches are fucking nuts.

That90sguy

Star
Feb 2, 2011
The Danger Zone
Yeah Omega/Ospreay fucked. It's like they took the template for that one awesome Ospreay/Scrull match(scary piledriver on the apron one) and and went all in on it.

RKO-Cutter

Definition of jackass
Aug 18, 2008
Please have some 🔥 matchups and not a bunch of multi-man tags

The KONGO/LIJ altercation they outright called for singles matches

Yeah Omega/Ospreay fucked. It's like they took the template for that one awesome Ospreay/Scrull match(scary piledriver on the apron one) and and went all in on it.

I know Scurll's a POS and even before that he wasn't for everybody, but just need to be clear that all Ospreay/Scurll matches were awesome (except maybe Power Struggle)