IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
George R.R. Martin, author of Game of Thrones + Hidetaka Miyazaki, developer of Dark Souls = HYPE

Launch: Feb. 25 on Xbox, Playstation and PC.

LESSSGO!

iu-jpg.675103

From Software's Gameplay preview:

Red Bull's livestream playing the game this weekend ahead of the Feb. 25 launch. Looks like they are going with the naked character of course to start:

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
That's a good tip on what is essentially a free $5 worth of Microsoft Rewards points.

Unfortunately I have tried to watch some of the Red Bull stream and it is terrible. The player sucks and just runs around on his horse to show the lands. He normally speaks French and half the chat is people angry with him for doing it in English. The whole thing is kind of a train wreck and they could have found 10,000 streamers to do this well so I am dumbfounded.

Edit: Looks like they now switched to a German streamer who is much better Thank God.

Last edited:

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I've been on blackout mode since the trailer last year. Just blindly trusting From + the promise of something more forgiving than Sekiro.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I am realizing how ready I am for a new Souls game, because I own every other one and normally I would want to play them right now, but I am kind of like...nah. There are no surprises left for me in the other games at this point. I need new From Software content.

One question I have seen raised a lot is how multiplayer works in this game. This is an explanation. Short answer: more options than ever for a Souls game but still not perfect sounding. Getting help will now be a lot easier, but playing with a friend still sounds somewhat laborious.

e167feed-7a50-4940-8280-7689be7b4317-rxcsmh4s4pznzbqrqxe9as.jpeg

It also does not allow for Crossplay between PC and different console platforms

Last edited:

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
It’s too hard to co-op for me unless it’s on the couch.

That’s and I’m a game pauser and take frequent breaks. I just don’t do the MP thing anymore.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Will there be NPC allies? I liked that system in Souls.

Toopa and I have played some MP stuff lately, but only shorter games, and he's not into From content.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
That's a good tip on what is essentially a free $5 worth of Microsoft Rewards points.
Yeah, and some people have reported in the past that they could redeem the punch card even with digital codes bought from third parties like Newegg.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I could imagine getting into this if the entire game were co-op, like Valheim or Outward, but it doesn't really sound like that's how it works.

Dark Souls wasn't clicking for me but I'll be sure to watch some video reviews. I'm going to try Sekiro soon too.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
My code hasn't showed up from Newegg yet. It doesn't matter much for me since I won't get to it for a while, but I'd like to activate it and download the game at least.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I think there are plenty of other deals for Elden Ring for $50 from what I have seen. Walmart is going to have hard disc copies on sale for that price on launch day for example. I am going to be mighty annoyed if they don't send that damn code soon.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Unsurprisingly, game critics are having orgasms over Elden Ring, saying it is Breath of the Wild meets Dark Souls.

Ign: 10/10

Eurogamer: Essential

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
Unsurprisingly, game critics are having orgasms over Elden Ring, saying it is Breath of the Wild meets Dark Souls.

Ign: 10/10

Eurogamer: Essential

It’s the first game this gen that’s like “it’s time to get a console”.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I have only read a few things about this, but some reviewers and critics are saying that the PS5 version appears to have some issues with texture pop-in and frame rate stuttering at some points. The game seems to run perfectly on PC by comparison they say. I have not seen Xbox Series X complaints, so we shall see how it plays on that console, the one I purchased it on.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I am genuinely amazing Fromsoft has been so good for so long. It was like 13 years ago I played Demons Souls. They haven’t had a flat out miss in that time.

I realize some of the later Souls games may be more controversial as to their place in pantheon, but I really can’t think of another developer with a streak like this.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
A few 9s can be explained away. A run of 10s (and the Eurogamer Essential tag) usually means something is special.

I'm really bummed I can't play it for so long.

I'm tempted to cancel my Xbox preorder and get it for my laptop, but I won't have a ton of time to play it on vacation, I don't want to haul my laptop along, and I want to play it on the big TV when I'm back.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I would so love to see “highest rated game of all time” hold up.

But some asshole will see an opportunity and low ball it, if anything. It’ll never hold.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I haven't read all the reviews, but it seems the notion that the game isn't that big has been soundly put to rest.

The IGN reviewer said it took him 89 hours to finish his initial playthrough.

Last edited:

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Wow: opening like from Wash Post story

“Probably the easiest, most enticing way to describe the sheer scale of “Elden Ring" is to say it’s like receiving two to three new Dark Souls games in one.”

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
More than anything this year, it’s about how much work I have to do. I really can’t check out for even a few days and play a game.

But that looks like the sort of game I could just play and explote for years. First chance I get to take a few days off I’ll find a console, a series S if I have to, and start it.

Like, in 2020 I did not work. I had plenty of time to play games and I did. I was burned out and needed the break but now I gotta make up for it.

mid 2020-2021. You know what I mean.

east1226

Mod in a blue hat
★ MOD
Jun 6, 2012
I find Souls games boring. However, I am genuinely glad you all will have the game you have been wanting. I hope you love it as much as it appears you will.

Kombatant85

No Longer a Noob
Jul 4, 2018
I had forgotten this was coming out this month and so I didn't save money for it and I'm already getting a special edition of another game next month and so I probably won't get it until april

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
I watched some gameplay videos and discussions, and it doesn't seem the game for me. It's very much like Dark Souls, which I didn't enjoy my short time with. Besides that, I struggle to stay engaged with any open-world game unless I'm really into the story/characters, which I don't think would be the case here.

But similar to East's sentiment, I'm so glad the game is living up to its pre-release hype and excited to see a new release with such high critical scores. What a dream for anyone who is into this type of game. Have fun, guys.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I have to work unfortunately, but I am going to boot it up in a minute to get the install finished and hopefully play a bit before work.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
This game looks fucking insane. I’ve seen some video now and it’s the sort of world we have dreamt about in games, based of that. I’ll be stunned if it lives up to it.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I played a few minutes this morning before work. Impressions:

* It's 100% a souls game. Any notion that this is somehow different is false. If you like these games, you will likely love it. If not, probably not for you.

* That said, there are all kinds of subtle changes in the mechanics, and it is an open world, with more resource gathering etc., and way more exploration than the souls games generally have.

* One major change as advertised is that death is less punishing in terms of losing exp. You can basically choose to respawn closer to where you died at these statues, which in theory may make dying repeatedly at certain bosses a lot less frustrating.

* It's a very pretty game at 4K with lush colors and scenery as you can imagine. I was running it on framerate mode and overall it runs well, but it is so detailed that I almost felt like I needed to move my chair farther back from the TV or something as I was moving around.

I started as a Confessor class, which is Elden Ring's version of a faith-based melee and priest style hybrid class. I wanted a class that could cast as well as fight, though the starter spells are healing. I am not sure if I will stick with this or go back and start with another class, but I am sure I will play this multiple times and probably try them all in due time.

Oh, and yes, I probably died about four times already. You die almost immediately in the game

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
One other thing, not too spoilerish I hope, but...

I found what looked like a small minor dungeon early on, and was doing fine exploring it. Thought I reached the end, and opened a chest. It was a trick. It teleported me! They have updated the chest tricks from the mimics of old, it seems, to even more diabolical creations.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
Oh, and the online mode was not working this morning when I played. I think it may just be launch issues as everyone plays this game immediately after it drops on Xbox. Like all souls games, it is primarily a single player experience. But it did mean I could not summon friends etc because I was in offline mode.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
For now. I can’t imagine this game won’t be supported and optimized. Patches incoming, I’m sure.

If I were to buy a console now, performance is moot. Availability is my only option.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I played a little more at lunch and I may start over, not really feeling the paladin build, and I also wound up in a weird part of the map and I am not even sure where I am supposed to go.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
So I am playing, after basically calling it quits from work an hour early, and liking it a lot so far. It's a souls game, but with tons of new wrinkles and surprises, even for a veteran player like me.

A big change is that you can jump! Like, real jumping. And there is now an element of vertical exploration that is pretty cool. When I was lost and confused I actually found an armor set and several staffs, but I am not a mage so it didn't do much for me.

I am sticking with the Confessor class for now. I got a big-ass sword though and that helps. I have upgraded it once and will likely upgrade it a little more since the materials don't seem too hard to get. I beat a few minor bosses so far, but that is it.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
ELDEN RING (4).jpg

We may be looking at the GOAT here people: the greatest game ever.

After playing it last night before the Sixers game, and again for a bit now, I am blown away by the way From Soft has taken its formula and applied it to an open world. One key lesson is not to rush to bosses, because these lands are absolutely teeming with loot and quests and stuff to find.

I was worried the level design would suffer in an open world and become generic like most others, but....nope, that is not how this developer rolls. There are all kinds of amazing wrinkles and hidden paths all over. It's almost unbelievable, the scale of this game.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
That’s pretty awesome. It’ll be the first game of the generation for me, for sure.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I did a bunch of grinding last night in Elden Ring to get my character rounded out as a paladin type. I have him equipped in full knight armor and a big ass hammer in one hand, spells on the other. And I have upgraded my weapon somewhat, though that took a lot of very boring farming to get the materials.

I started as a fighting priest and then kind of turned him into a knight who can cast, and in hindsight it probably would have been easier to start as a knight class than confessor, and do it the other way around. But oh well. I am now pretty strong and should be able to progress in the main quest again.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013

Unfortunately I have tried to watch some of the Red Bull stream and it is terrible. The player sucks and just runs around on his horse to show the lands. He normally speaks French and half the chat is people angry with him for doing it in English. The whole thing is kind of a train wreck and they could have found 10,000 streamers to do this well so I am dumbfounded.

Edit: Looks like they now switched to a German streamer who is much better Thank God.

By the way I did this tip. I got 6,000 Microsoft points which basically was about half of what I needed to add a month of GP Ultimate, which I did. Very nice little discount worth cashing for anyone buying the Xbox version of this game.