Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1160912p1.html]Superman Title, Villain Announced[/link]
by IGN Staff

Summary:
Warner Bros. announced today that Michael Shannon will star as General Zod in director Zack Snyder's new Superman film, titled Man of Steel. [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/116/1160912p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Greggy-IGN

Prime Member
Feb 19, 2007
1) Can we get a picture of this dude? 2) Don't make it an origin story. 3) Really? Zod? Again? Sigh.

Lucread

Noob
May 12, 2010
This shouldn't be Zod... he's been done to death on film... I'm suddenly less excited fro this film.

Apr 10, 2011
Definitely pleased about this, as much as I liked Viggo Mortenson for the role I think Shannon brings the right combination of creepy and powerful to pull off an appropriately villainous portrayal of Zod.

jong303

Noob
Aug 30, 2009
Not really a big name; I've only seen him in one film. But he was a good enough actor to really stand out in it. He'll make a terrific villain.

CaptFalcon00

No Longer a Noob
Dec 10, 2002
They should do Brainiac!! "Superman: Brainiac" by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank should be the template for the sequel

mhaesly

Noob
Jun 15, 2010
this is looking promising. Michael Shannon is a great actor and I'd like to see more of him on the big screen. Great cast, haters will hate.

Abe-

Noob
Oct 29, 2009
he's a great actor who will do the part well but i am tired of seeing zod and lex luthor in the films. at least this means its set when sups is fully settled in.

CageFury

Noob
Dec 27, 2005
Damn.. Zod... boring. Was so hoping for Doomsday or Darkseid. All of sudden I'm getting a bad feeling about this movie. Superman movies and video games are cursed.

Latnok

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 20, 2008
Ahh the only bad thing about this is whenever I see him, I will be reminded of boardwalk empire consistantly. I've only known him from boardwalk empire so VAn alden will be in my head everytime I see him lol.

Though, he is a great actor. I could see him playing Zod. The projects looking good so far, hopefully zack synder won't screw it up.

No need to say they're doing characters all over again, just take a look at the dark knight with joker again. Hopefully this will be a different take on zod than previous iterations.

E

Esquire121

Original poster
i think he would of been better as Lex Luthor

Zero9bound

Noob
Jan 24, 2005
Reallytired of Zod always being a villain. It would be nice to use others from Superman's rogue galleries. I'll blog about this later.

DSX_Freeza

Noob
Jun 23, 2010
Why is everyone saying Zod is boring? what did you expect for the first film? Doomsday to kill Superman? And it WILL be an origin story for it should be the first of a trilogy.
Zod is a fantastic villain. People could say Joker is over used also, doesn't stop how cool he was. Great chose. Synder is not doing story or script.

k.k.slider25

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2007
Yay another installment in a long line of Superman movies with either Lex or Zod as a villain. And let me guess Lex will be the villain in the sequel to the new film. If Braniac, Doomsday, Metallo, Bizarro, Parasite, or Darkseid don't eventually show up I will facepalm so hard.

Jaybro7

Noob
Mar 20, 2008
Man GREAT casting! I don't care WHO we get as long as he/she is able to go TOE TO TOE with Supes, and Zod definitely can. It's an Origin Story so of COURSE it's going to be Zod in the first film.

And what does everyone mean "tired of Zod ALWAYS being the villain"?? Uhhh, this is the SECOND movie we've see with Zod. Same amount of times we've seen Joker in a Batman Movie. Shut up/

j13kaw

Noob
Jan 31, 2011
@gojiwarrior - zod always being the villain? so I take it you've seen one Superman movie, if I'm not mistaken.

noj_775

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 21, 2006
Seriously why do people keep saying "Zod's been done to death", or "Im tired of Zod always being the villain" Zod was the villain of ONE movie 30 years ago!!! Zod has not been done to death, to be done to death you would have to be the villain in at least two or three movies previously! Get over it people, Zod was probably chosen as a villain so Superman would have a way of being introduced to his kryptonian heritage, similarly to how the fake Kryptonians in Superman Birthright led to him learning more about his people. Darkseid would make ZERO sense as a villain, and Doomsday being the first villain of the reboot would be using him way too early. The only other major Superman villain who would make any sense would have been Brainiac, but that ship has sailed, so get over it!

classy_1

Noob
Apr 9, 2006
Yah a lot of people were spazing out when Joker was guaranteed not in the third batman film but wait..when Superman decides to use a villain that they used once nearly 30 years ago everyone complains? Really? Get off your high horses and realize two things: 1) Superman is rebooting it's franchise therefore they need a villain that can relate to his origins and 2) Superman Returns many downfalls included a villain that couldn't test Superman's power physically, so who can test Superman the best for the FIRST film...hmm how about another kryptonian? Yah no brainer...stoked Michael Shannon is Zod, hopefully he bulks up a bit... People who complain can shove it.

Feb 20, 2010
Well there goes my hopes for Viggo Mortenson. You never know though right? I mean they could build on that just like Chris Nolan built something better in The Dark Knight after the epic Batman Begins

ack28

No Longer a Noob
Sep 17, 2000
Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Not Kevin as both.

ethangach

Noob
Mar 22, 2011
Zod is not only Superman's equal in strength/battle, but also will be a good vehicle for exploring superman as SUPERMAN, that is, a super powerful being that chooses to clean up after weak and often cruel humans time and time again, despite owing them nothing.

Also, Zod as a general and trained warrior, presents and interesting contrast to Superman who can get by without having to know how to fight simply because he is really strong. For instance, if you gave Bruce Wayne superman powers, he would destroy the man of steel utterly and completely.

I think it is a safe but promising choice.

J0K0C0ZZY

Noob
Apr 1, 2011
superman is great. I grew up with great comics and children cartoons that I enjoyed a lot but in my lifetime they have yet to make a good movie. I truly hated the last one so I'm not getting my hopes up with this one. If it ends up even getting 3 stars I think Ill be happy.

Leroythe3

Noob
Mar 24, 2011
I cant say im pumped by them doing Zod again but as long as they give Zod the credit he deserves im ok with it, that version in Superman 2 was good for its time i guess but Zod has such a more powerful personality than that, and im pretty sure they will set up Braniac at the end dependng on which source material they take from, maybe even go with the NEW KRYPTON stuff. Michael Shannon is so under-rated im very excited to hear this choice though

gmaniac6

Noob
Oct 19, 2004
@classy_1 people are saying Zod has been done to death because they probably are also Smallville fans and Zod was in that A LOT and in the 2nd Superman movie. People want to see new villians that have never really been done before.

@J.Severe you don't know who Zod is? Haha You must not be a Superman fan than.

Danagan

Noob
Aug 30, 2009
I think its good for a reboot to start with Zod. Lex is over done and you dont want to jump straight into the big bad guys like doomsday. They should be saved for a squeal. Like if Chris Nolan had started with the Joker would second movie be as good?

Jan 23, 2011
Its gonna suck. DC sucks and they can never do anything new. DC never listens to their fans either. Thats why I make mine Marvel! Just look at this board, NO ONE here is happy about this news.

Aug 27, 2010
I really don;t know how people can moan about Zod being done again...in 5 Superman movies he was the main villian in Superman 2 and appeared briefly in the first Superman movie..not exactly done to death. (I am leaving off Smallville because that isn't the MOVIES!!)
In a reboot it wouldn;t make sense to do Doomssday because his death wouldn;t mean as much as it would in future movies and Darkseid has alot of mythology attached to it that might be a bit heavy for a first movie in a reboot.
Also, when poeple talk about the origins of Superman being done to death...are they on about the destruction of Krypton...becuase that has been done alot and it is known but the reasons for Clark Kent becoming Superman and why he does what he does has never really been explored and I would love to see that in the Man of Steel...use Birthright and Secret Origin for inspiration.

gokaury

Almost Not a Noob
May 24, 2005
I'm glad that Zod is the bad guy. At least they didn't announce Lex Luthor. Talk about a villain that has been done to death. I like to think of it this way, General Zod is to Superman as Ra's al Ghul is to Batman.

MRHessla

Noob
Oct 19, 2010
I was really hoping for Brainiac (true wish was Darksied but i do realize its better to save him for a sequel)...o well zod is still cool so iam not going to hate. Hope this movie turns out well! The world needs a good Superman movie!

marcusray

Noob
Aug 19, 2002
I'm extremely happy about Zod being the villain. You start the reboot out with him and build toward the sequels with Brainiac or Darkseid. Awesome news!!!!!!

Oct 13, 2006
I'm still hoping they cast somebody as Lex Luthor in a supporting role. I don't want him to be the defining villain of the film, but I am really hoping he plays a role in the new film. You can't have Superman without Lex Luthor. Zod is alright; but I would have much rather seen Braniac just because he hasn't been done before and he would bring a very different dynamic to the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.