m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
Joined with your link ag. Now I gotta try to whore myself out with referrals so I can get up to 6 months too

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
I read somewhere that, per a study, the vast majority of Texans pay more in taxes than Californians do. That is mind boggling to me.
To add onto my previous reply to this post, I'm guessing it's also because wages throughout Texas are lower, tied for the worst state minimum wage, 7.25.

So the one area where youre supposed to "gain" some ground on other states is minimized. Not getting much mileage out of that 4 percent you might be saving if you're only making minimum.

I guess since the overall cost of living is still lower the state knows they can get away with taxing higher. They've had a large warchest in their rainy day fund and general fund

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2002
@supersaiyenl4goku did you know about being able to buy spaxx and it will auto liquidate to make transactions?

Yes, this is what I meant. This seems to be the best and most flexible option. It doesn’t gain the most, but I don’t know if any other account like that.

Vanguard has one on invite only but I don’t think it works the same with that option to auto draw the “investment”.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Interesting about Vanguard customer service. I've never needed it, but I have almost all of my non-retirement money with them, so I might eventually.

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
Interesting about Vanguard customer service. I've never needed it, but I have almost all of my non-retirement money with them, so I might eventually.
Basically if you have to call them you'll be on the phone for hours with several transfers and disconnections instead of 5 minutes with Fidelity

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2002
I didn’t experience any disconnections but I had to call them about a Roth IRA recharacterization and conversion and I was on hold for something like 3-4 hours. It was the winter and I had my headset on and shoveled my whole driveway while on hold and didn’t get anyone for plenty of time after that.

And the people couldn’t give me accurate information either.

PoorPigg

Curly-tailed
May 26, 2012
West Coast, US
Global Wealth Report from UBS and Credit Suisse source indicates a possible 38% increase in world wealth across the next five years. The form and distribution of that wealth is of particular use if you plan on receiving any portion of that increase. That increase is projected despite some considerable losses this past year.

PoorPigg

Curly-tailed
May 26, 2012
West Coast, US
Robert Reich, Clinton'sSecretary of Labor, teaches at UC Berkley. His latest course in Wealth and Poverty was taught this past spring and is now available for free online (YT).

Here

PoorPigg

Curly-tailed
May 26, 2012
West Coast, US
BRICS analyzed

"The acronym BRICS was coined by British economist Jim O’Neill to emphasize emerging investment opportunities rather than geopolitical goals. The establishment in 2014, which later included South Africa, was primarily focused on economic engagement. The subsequent additions, while hinting at greater ambitions, may be diverting the bloc’s focus away from its initial purpose." Florence Muchai

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
If only I had left my paltry amount money in nvda in Oct 20, at the time I was like ok they're making graphics card for crypto and ai stuff for tsla that's cool (even though literally nobody gave a shit about the term AI until chatgpt in Nov 22)

Look at them now

I did gamble/scalp a little bit with Intel this past week but didn't sell for much profit. Wish I had bought more of it after the dip, but who could have expected the CEO to make those random comments to pump it

That's all the market is, just sentiment, controlled by algorithms, mini pump and dumps, so you're just guessing what a good "dip" is when scalping

VTI and chill is the best long term strategy but part of me wants to get back into day trading again. Just feels so pointless when I don't have a slush fund to do it with. That was the issue I ran into before, like ok great you made 1-3% but all those little gains and losses never amount to anything, especially with the amount of time involved

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
One other medium term stock I had been looking at was Verizon because of the news that att and vz will be turning on their 140-200mhz of extra 5g within the next month ish. That news was flying under the radar but its a game changer

Both att and vz are already up a fair amount this week already tho

Att has a host of other problems but vz isn't as bad off debt wise as them

I have 60mhz UW in my area but had been watching it

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
But yeah, way I see it, either have some fun and gamble on a dip for a couple days, or play the long game with vti. Not a lot of point in putting faith into an individual stock over VTI, when moneys just constantly moving from one stock to the next, but the total market index doesn't care about that since the moneys still there

There's less money in the market when people are putting them into 5% savings accounts/cds/bonds instead, or needing break into 401ks/whatever else because they're unemployed/cant keep up with cost of living/etc

But long term there will always be more cash flow into the total market because employees will continue to invest their paychecks since savings account rates generally suck. Other than investing in real estate or something like gold I guess. But the mainstream person doesn't give a shit about either of those usually.

Tldr: its easy to see why spy returns 10 percent

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
On another note, people who write for financial sites are just bsing about what caused the markets or a stock to go up or down. It's usually outdated by the time they publish the article because the algorithm already decided to do something else. news is indeed a catalyst of sorts, but you see "sell the news" happening so often. All "news" does is put the spotlight on a stock to start a snowball of movement one way or another. Algos are predicting what other algos are doing or about to do, and if enough of them agree then it really snowballs.

You can't ever buy at the bottom of a dip but you can at least attempt to frame a stock that it will generally operate within a range of sorts, so define it and go with it

This warren guy in the comments here does futures, I looked at his post history and he posts some useful stuff

2 percent of capital, 4 percent expected return, hopes for an 85 percent win rate

Last edited:
D

deleted-4439668

Original poster
INTC BEING PUMPED LIKE ITS THE NEW NVIDIA. OH WELL. MISSED THE BOAT.

I’m in on that. Was holding since it dipped to like $41 last year but kept buying more averaging down when it was around $28. So my average is around $33. Looking good

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
I BOUGHT INTEL LAST YEAR WHEN IT WAS MUCH HIGHER THAN IT IS NOW.

THOUGH I'VE BEEN OUT OF WORK SINCE JANUARY AND SOLD MOST OF MY STOCKS IN JUNE (A MONTH TOO EARLY. DOH) MINUS THE ONES THAT WERE STILL IN THE RED, BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY ONES THAT I ALREADY LOST ON COULDN'T LOSE MORE, RIGHT? HERE'S HOPING THAT INTEL DOES TURN POSITIVE, EVENTUALLY.

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
So, the market slipped a bit but not a lot. However, I'm starting to hear about layoffs from a lot of people that I know + recent stuff in the news, so I think that there's trouble brewing. Layoffs tend to *increase* stock prices in the immediate term, despite them showing problems with management, so they may just delay a decline in the market.

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
Now that your friend has joined Wealthfront, you'll have a 0.50% APY boost on your cash!
It may take up to 24 hours before your boost is active

took almost 3 months to get a referral right as my first one from AG was running out

So I get to keep using wealthfront instead of transferring it to fidelity for money market SPAXX (5ish percent 7 day sec yield)

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
10 months later, the current price is $34,709. [xf_eek]
Looking at the charts it seems like btc is benefitting from this bull run much more than the other cryptos. Cardano is still way down on the year, but it seems like ethereum was pretty stable throughout the year like btc.

Other than algorithms, what changed catalystwise? Probably just algos doing their thing. At least in America I don't know if crypto sentiment will ever recover after all thats happened (ftx, musk and dogecoin, the NFT money laundering nonsense, etc), but the rest of the world might think differently. I don't think US regulators and legislators want to really play ball with crypto anytime soon.

Dunno, just spitballing

Last edited:

m00m00m00

ಠ_ಠ
Jun 14, 2001
Anyone also see amd nvda and intc dropping rapidly at the same time, like those ppl that ride the waves shifted back to crypto lol

PoorPigg

Curly-tailed
May 26, 2012
West Coast, US
So, the market slipped a bit but not a lot. However, I'm starting to hear about layoffs from a lot of people that I know + recent stuff in the news, so I think that there's trouble brewing. Layoffs tend to *increase* stock prices in the immediate term, despite them showing problems with management, so they may just delay a decline in the market.
Mortgage rates drop to below 7% https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mort...elieving-more-declines-to-come-170032406.html

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
How much confidence do you put into Zillow?
Well, the ones that are actually for sale are just as expensive.

Median listing is between 625-650K right now (which is slightly more than their current estimate for my old house), and the median household income is $34,000.
I dunno how the math works. This *is not* a rich area.

I couldn't come close to affording 625k when I was working and interest rates were <3%. Now I'm just praying to be able to find somewhere where I can afford in my current situation.

Last edited:

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
A while ago I put on my calendar a reminder that today might be a good time to start buying Bitcoin again. I predicted it based on past patterns. Am I right?

Let's see in two years. Current price is $17,180.
Didn't have to wait two years. Current price at $54,544.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Didn't have to wait two years. Current price at $54,544.
Bitcoin is now $70,417.

My calendar prediction was quite good!

More tech predictions: Microsoft has shown interest in ARM-based processors with their products. Could we see a transitioning away from x86 (Intel/AMD) processors in the coming years? Apple's M-series chips are popular and doing well (also ARM-based).

It appears Qualcomm and ARM stand to benefit from this. Their stocks have already been doing great the past year.

Last edited: