rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
I do have a complaint: the campaign map is a mess. I hate that it's not clear how I'm supposed to access new spots that get noted on the map. Why hide the ball on that? What does it add to the game to make me fumble around and waste time on that?

Nothing. It adds nothing but frustration.

Anyway, I'm making progress on Chapter 3. I think I'm down to 4-5 quests that I a have to finish before advancing the story. All my loyalty quests are up to date.

It's a flawed masterpiece, what can I say. There are stuff in there that I don't like, but overall this is one of the best CRPG experiences available today. Some aspects of the game show that this is not made by a modern-day so-called "AAA" studio - but on the whole this is probably a good thing.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Oh it's very good overall. If I rated it today I'd give it a 8.5 or 9.

I like it a lot more than it's closest comparator, DoS2.

But yeah, it's not perfect. The map isn't easy to use and I don't think much of the music.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Making progress in Act III.
  • Killed the dragon after baiting it into a trap.
  • Got an army up to level 9, and I'm not having much trouble with enemy forces.
  • Party is level 12.
  • I've done almost all of the loyalty missions available to me. Sosiel is next. His brother sounds like a dick.

One frustration though: Enemies seem to always roll saves against my non-damage spells, even though I've taken the abilities that are supposed to let me get spells through defenses.

Also I don't really understand the relic system.

And I haven't bothered with crafting at all.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I'm down to four missions I need to finish before the end of Act III, and a couple of them are pretty simple/in progress. It's been a journey.

I have a level 9 army that just upgraded to 6 units, so I should be able to bump that one up to 10+ pretty soon.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I had to turn down the difficulty on the Borg mission. Enemies with 45 AC? WTF?

I read on reddit that this was a backer-designed dungeon? Yuck. Maybe don't offer that tier next time.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I had to turn down the difficulty on the Borg mission. Enemies with 45 AC? WTF?

I read on reddit that this was a backer-designed dungeon? Yuck. Maybe don't offer that tier next time.

That dungeon feels like it was designed for power gamers and replayers. Like my first character who was a single class, and only used stock npcs and didn’t specifically build for a weird ass dungeon went through that dungeon using power word quick save and a lot of luck.

My lich and angel builds which were much much more tuned for power gaming and I made a special party for it went fine. I suspect my trickster will do alright as well.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had trouble with it. They really should put a warning on content designed for min maxers. It's dispiriting to run into such difficult encounters, and makes me think about quitting.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
Just plopped down in the Abyss.

Some thoughts on Trickster; it’s kind of toned down compared to Demon, lich and angel. I’ve got a pretty powerful build which does 200 damage Crits but it’s just not as powerful as those two.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I'm in the abyss city but I'm traveling and playing on my Steam Deck, which really slows stuff down.

The dialogue is good, but I could use some more combat.

Also I haven't found a permanent apartment or even a bed yet. I'd rather not have to pay the Inn 1K every time I want to rest.

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
I'm in the abyss city but I'm traveling and playing on my Steam Deck, which really slows stuff down.

The dialogue is good, but I could use some more combat.

Also I haven't found a permanent apartment or even a bed yet. I'd rather not have to pay the Inn 1K every time I want to rest.

Why don't you go back to the camp? You can rest in the cave there. I don't know how far you are in the area, but once you unlock fast travel points it's very easy to do so and go back. One fast travel point is in the tavern itself.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I have mixed feelings on the demon city. The vignettes and quests are fun.

Navigation is a nightmare.

What dev thought it would be a good idea to hide paths behind camera angles of all things? And the portals and the athletics checks. Ugh.

The coins help, but they don't come close to fixing all the traversal issues.

Currently messing around in the slave market.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I cut a bloody swath of my way through the Abyss killing everyone I could and adding embarrassment where I couldn’t.
Once I got mythic 7 for trickster it’s really funny watching me show up and pass a persuasion roll and have people just off themselves there and then. It really cuts down on the nonsense.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I cut a bloody swath of my way through the Abyss killing everyone I could and adding embarrassment where I couldn’t.
Once I got mythic 7 for trickster it’s really funny watching me show up and pass a persuasion roll and have people just off themselves there and then. It really cuts down on the nonsense.
That's what I'm shooting for with Trickster. I'm only at stage 2 of the persuasion ability, but many of my enemies just freeze as soon as combat begins. It's fun.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I got to the second to last fight and the game crashed on me when I was going to win it.

I’m going to have to revise what I said earlier. Trickster’s power is really insanely backloaded. While for bosses it runs a little behind melee lich and angel builds this is by far the easiest run of threshold fortress I’ve done thanks to persuasion 3 and athletics 3 gives me the same base attack bonus as a fighter with a huge sneak attack, and thanks to improved, improved, improved, improved critical I just need a 9 to Crit with Grave Singer. So it’s no slouch in power rankings. Just takes till act 5 to really unlock it.

Edit:Just beat it and ok Trickster ending is pretty great.

Last edited:

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
Games like this, I only play them once.
It’s kind of weird but a huge epic thing I replay a lot and see everything. Whereas a little game like Portal 2 or something that I really like I play them once and get what I want and then I’m done.

I’m close to 600 hours on this game.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
Regill told me we needed to go see the Hellknights to try to talk some sense into them. When we got there they tried to put me on trial. I wasn't going to put up with that so I told them to go fuck themselves.

The result was spectacular. They tried to attack me, a couple dozen maybe more, and about 2/3 of them immediately exploded into a bloody mess before I even took a turn.

I recently got my Trickster Persuasion skill up to level 3, which causes enemies that fail a saving throw to immediately kill themselves at the start of battle. Seems that most of them failed that throw.

I never liked Regill, so that was satisfying.

I like that this game makes you feel REALLY powerful by the end.

east1226

Mod in a blue hat
★ MOD
Jun 6, 2012
That one is interesting if you actually do the trial. The motives are interesting.

OneBigClam

Jes' fine
Jun 4, 2012
NH
I always reach a point in these big RPGs where I find myself stuck. I think I've learned my lesson and won't even try to get into this one.

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
I don't like Regill in general, but I have to say that he's a very interesting character. You don't usually see that type in RPGs, a guy with such a rigid code of conduct who manages to make sense as much as he doesn't. I also quite like the race/class combination (although it probably sucks in practuce). I believe his character is pretty incombatible with many alignments and ways of playing the game. Good and chaotic characters are against his philosophy completely. But evil characters too, because (a) he fights against some forms of evil in the game and (b) he is such a pain to have as a follower when doing certain evil things if you so choose as a main character. I think that a devil mythic path playthrough would make the most sense, with him as a loyal follower.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
Regill told me we needed to go see the Hellknights to try to talk some sense into them. When we got there they tried to put me on trial. I wasn't going to put up with that so I told them to go fuck themselves.

The result was spectacular. They tried to attack me, a couple dozen maybe more, and about 2/3 of them immediately exploded into a bloody mess before I even took a turn.

I recently got my Trickster Persuasion skill up to level 3, which causes enemies that fail a saving throw to immediately kill themselves at the start of battle. Seems that most of them failed that throw.

I never liked Regill, so that was satisfying.

I like that this game makes you feel REALLY powerful by the end.
I genuinely don't know why Regill is a fan favorite. Too much of his personality is wrapped up in he's a hellknight and hellknights are this way. I mean maybe if you play a lot of tabletop Pathfinder that makes sense.
In Kingmaker they have a character who's asinine in her lawfulness down to approving of things like torture if a creature is lawfully there's. But she has a whole story and motivation that to me at least made sense and wasn't just reduced to a type. But if you go on the Reddit for these two games there's a vocal group of Regill Stans who are only matched by the Camellia horny weirdos and Ember Stans.

Ember is my ride or die. Every party I've built wants Ember nuking people and debuffing AC. I also love the archetype of sweet little girl who is a goddess of death.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
I never seem to be in the mood to start this one, but what you guys are saying about the trickster mythic path seems super fun to me.

east1226

Mod in a blue hat
★ MOD
Jun 6, 2012
Trickster is the only one I would consider a replay for. I even started it. I just can't bring myself to continue. I just Googled the dual endings. Cool endings.

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
Ember is my ride or die. Every party I've built wants Ember nuking people and debuffing AC. I also love the archetype of sweet little girl who is a goddess of death.

The one thing that bothers me about Ember is the successful completion of her character/companion arc. It's just so silly.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I never seem to be in the mood to start this one, but what you guys are saying about the trickster mythic path seems super fun to me.
One good thing is the game is really generous with letting you respec, so you don't have to worry about breaking a build.

One bad thing is that there have been a ton of updates and changes since it launched, so finding current build guides online is hard (or has been for me, anyway).

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
This might be the toughest choice I've had to make yet:

8CBB6B4F5947876EF4B3DF00204FC12B85BB825F

I ended up handing him over to the inquisition in the hopes that I could convince them at the tribunal to let him go.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
After my time with the first Pathfinder, a OP skill that makes the end of WOTR a fun romp sounds like a dream.

east1226

Mod in a blue hat
★ MOD
Jun 6, 2012
The golden dragon really was perfect for my personality. However, trickster really does seem fun. I also agree with Igloo. The ending can he a slog so that skill is a blessing for you, DD. :^O

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
My take on the paths I’ve done

Lich: if you like rolling big numbers this is the path for you.

Angel: Do you always choose the good guy path in every rpg? This one has the most story you can stuff in a bag and is perfect for people who like lawful good aligned characters.

Demon: do you want to get really mad? Are you super weirdly into Camellia or Noticula? Have I got a path for you.

Trickster:Do you find save or enslave choices a bit trite and tiresome?

Legend(working on it). Do you have a crazy 40 level build you want to try? Want a full caster progression and a full martial progression. Unsure how the story works here.

swarm: Are you like hungry all the time? (Never played it and only path I’m not interested in)

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
Azata: do you want to have a neat dragon as a companion who grows as the game progresses? Or a little realm of yours where plenty of weirdos gather?

Aeon: YOU BETRAYED THE LAW!!
842.gif

rastaban75

A Dimple in Draco
Jul 23, 2012
Ioannina, Greece
Oh boy Nenio's final loyalty quest is a hot mess.

But I just hit L20, so I'm ready to roll through the end game.

What bugs me is that she gets that quest which is very convoluted and has a massive dungeon, while all other characters get relatively straightforward stuff. It feels weird. It's part of this game's logic I guess, where there are uneven stuff scattered throughout gameplay and exploration, like difficulty spikes. And speaking of difficulty spikes...

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I’ve never even seriously attempted to finish it and only would for a really specific reason.

DevilDancer

Not the boss
Sep 27, 2001
North America
I went to Iz and while I was fighting the boss

the queen died off screen. That's disappointing, I wanted to confront her for sending me to the abyss.

I could have reloaded but decided not to, and now I'm past that part.

Feels like things are finally wrapping up.

east1226

Mod in a blue hat
★ MOD
Jun 6, 2012
If you are at that point, you are at the very end. The chapter is about done. The next chapter is comically short.