Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
I'll start off by saying I actually LOVED the beginning minutes. The fate God had put on them felt worse then just death. Loneliness. It really reminded me of all the times in the previous seasons where each brother would do anything to save one another even if it meant the cost of other lives. It felt so justified to me that God would then throw it right back into their face in the biggest way. You two only cared about saving yourselves? Well enjoy that because it was at the expense of everyone else in the planet. I could have been ok with the episode ending just like that honestly.
Three thoughts:

1) The current showrunner of Supernatural has said in interviews that this episode was meant to feel like a season finale while the next episode would feel like a series finale. So while I didn't quite understand what he meant (and I still don't think I'll totally understand it until we've seen the finale), I did suspect that it meant that the Chuck problem would be fixed in this episode. So I didn't expect the empty world to last for very long, but I did enjoy it and probably could have watched it for longer.

2) However, as Chuck said, having Sam, Dean, and Jack live all alone in an otherwise totally empty world is a very sophisticated story. Which, based on Chuck's personal tastes, I believed would mean he wouldn't be interested in continuing it for very long. He doesn't feel like he has a very sophisticated story palate. Like, he wants to be taken as this serious, sophisticated author, but he just isn't. So I was expecting him to end it rather than for the brothers to end it.

3) I know this is something that it would probably never occur to the writers of the show to address, but I wonder how the rest of the world is going to react when they realize that we've lost a few days/weeks. After all, the Earth kept spinning during that time. Which means everyone will think no time passed when really quite a lot of time has passed, which is going to throw off all sorts of scientific endeavors, weather predictions, astronomers, etc. There's no way they can hide this from the scientific community unless Jack also reset Earth's place in orbit when he returned all of the people, and I seriously doubt he did that. So there's no way to hide this bit of the supernatural from the rest of the world. People are going to either realize the supernatural exists or think that Earth just time traveled X number of days/weeks into the future in a split second.

I guess most of the true plan was discussed offscreen though because how could they have known that Jack was a power vaccuum after exploding?
When they were explaining the plan to Chuck through the flashback, they showed Dean and Sam noticing the plants dying as he walked past them. So they realized that he was sucking in the divine at that point. However, since the divine is in everything, I don't understand why the life wasn't sucked out of Sam, Dean, or the rocks that made up the concrete in the buildings that they were inside of. It didn't make sense why he would suck up the divine in some things but not in other things. It makes sense why Lucifer and Michael gave him way more power than the plants did, but still... Kind of inconsistent.

I don't know how I feel about the boys just riding off into the sunset in this particular show though. I know we've mentioned before that it feels like the only way to properly end the show was with them dying somehow. But if this is the way it ends, (given that the preview for next week's 2 hours looks just like an encore and a reflection of the past 15 years rather then a real episode) then so many questions...
Two things:

1) Next week's two hour finale is two separate things: a one hour restrospective reflecting on the past 15 years, and another for real one hour episode following Sam and Dean in this new world. So I guess that last hour will answer our questions about the people who were disappeared, whether monsters were brought back, etc.

2) For a long time I definitely thought that the only way to properly end the show was with one or both of the brothers dying, but a little ways into Season 15, I thought that the writers were going to do something totally different.

(This is basically another draft of what I wrote in my spoiler-marked ending prediction above with some new information. Same conclusions, but more fleshed out (though without as much of the legwork being shown).)
Since Castiel promised to get Ruby out of the Empty, I thought that was a totally useless thing to include in the episode unless there was a possibility Cas could fulfill it. Which meant Cas would have to somehow take over the Empty. Which meant Billie and the Shadow had to fail in their plan to kill God, which would work well with the idea that Death and the Shadow were just using Jack to try to end the universe so that everything can die, nothing else can break the rules, and the Shadow can sleep forever. So I started expecting that the brothers would realize Billie was using them, Jack would stop working for her, and then Death and the Shadow would take matters into their own hands and kill Chuck and Amara. Jack, being the bridge between humanity and the divine, could then use his powers to infuse Sam and Dean with the remnants of Chuck and Amara's powers, allowing them to replace Chuck and Amara to keep the universe intact. Then with Sam, Dean, Jack, and Castiel working together, they would somehow manage to defeat Death and the Shadow allowing Castiel to take over the Empty to fulfill his promise to Ruby. Maybe Jack would become the new Death, since there are four protagonists and four new roles to fulfill, but I couldn't quite make that work in my head until the plants started dying in front of him, but even then it wasn't a good fit. Then I thought Sam and Dean might struggle to adapt to their newfound omnipotence until (I hoped) the real God would speak to them and tell them about Chuck and Amara being two halves of the Demiurge and how to properly contain the Demiurge's powers. Then Alt!Sam and Alt!Dean from the alternate universe would establish Hunter Corp. in this reality, become the new Dean and Sam of this reality, and the show would end with them beginning the search for their father (so basically the show ends where it began).

My pie-in-the-sky dream ending for the show would have been something that wrapped up as many loose ends as possible while incorporating some of the above. I'll spoiler mark it though so it doesn't take up too much additional room here.

Honestly, for my ideal ending we're a little too late in the series. I would have wanted a lot more loose ends to be tied up by this point in the show to set up a final confrontation, but since that's no longer possible, my "ideal" ending is going to feel extremely rushed and fanfic-y, which incidentally makes it not my ideal ending. But it's probably as close as we could possibly get at this point, so I'll run with it.

Chuck wants to make the brothers miserable before the end based on Becky's reaction to his story, so Chuck decides to build up a final grudge match between Sam and Dean, their remaining allies, and their antagonists that haven't been killed off yet. But since he's seen that Castiel is slowly regaining his powers and confidence, he'll first want to deal with him. So Chuck sends the Queen Djinn after Cas. Cas married the Queen Djinn back in Season 13, so she could have some sort of power over him, trapping Cas in a world of torture. Meanwhile, Harper, the necromancer who had a crush on Jack, has teamed up with the remaining Thule due to a strange set of voices telling her to join them to be granted even greater power. (She's no Nazi, but they're a means to an end). They begin performing a ritual when Aaron and the Golem burst in to try and stop them. The latter two fight valiantly and take out the rest of the Thule at the cost of the Golem, but Harper survives, kills Aaron, and finishes the ritual, causing four columns of smoke to burst out of the ground and enter Harper.

Sam and Dean try to snap Castiel out of his torture while fighting the Queen Djinn, but she gives Sam and Dean visions of all the people they've failed. We see Sarah Blake's husband and daughter putting out missing posters, we see Kevin wandering the Earth and muttering to himself, slowly going crazy, we see Bobby in heaven brainwashed to forget about the Winchesters, and we see Bela, about to be attacked by the hellhounds, when she pulls out the mojo bag that Gordon gave her, she pricks her finger, bleeds into it, and the doors burst open. Sam and Dean break out of the torture, stop the Queen, and rescue Castiel, but he is shaken and out of commission. Meanwhile we see Harper confront a shadowy figure in a dark alley. The figure pulls her hood down and says if Harper comes any closer, she'll kill her and take her blood to power the mojo bag, revealing it's Bela who has been using the bag to keep the hellhounds at bay all this time. Harper says Bela won't need that anymore, and one of the black pillars of smoke shoots out of her and into Bela.

Bela and Harper find Amy the kitsune's son and the rugaru's child and each put a column of smoke into them. They track down the Winchesters and reveal that the remaining four deadly sins demons are possessing these four remaining enemies. The Winchesters have to retreat, but Alt!Charlie finds them. She's been tracking down previous Winchester allies to help with the fight against God. Sunny, the mind-controlling psychic, Jesse the cambion, and the Banes Twins show up to help. Using their powers and working together with the Winchesters, they're able to kill the demons, but it's difficult since Sunny isn't well-experienced, Jesse's powers are severely diminished, and Max Banes is trying to keep his sister alive. Jesse, Charlie, and Alicia all die in the fight. Max gets upset and creates another new Alicia. But then we learn that the deaths of all the Seven Deadly Sins powered a spell that Harper and the Thule had prepared which release the shedim. They come out of hell and reveal that they are the link between magic and humans. They give natural witches their power; they were the voices that granted Sunny and her father their powers as well as the voices that guided Harper to re-release the Seven Deadly Sins. And they're able to take away those powers. With Sunny and Max powerless, Alicia falls apart, and then Sunny and Max are killed as well. Michael appears just in time to teleport the Winchesters away. (Jack remains hidden with Castiel.)

Michael tells them that despite the shedim being absurdly powerful, they can be undone by special magic: the magic of the Colt. He gives the brothers a vision of how the gun was created which he learned by looking into the past. The brothers visit Rowena, and she helps them forge new Colts while chastising the brothers for letting the shedim escape in the first place, though she admits she had neglected them in her research of trying to pull demon souls from the Empty. The shedim find all of the Winchesters' remaining allies and kill them as Chuck watches gleefully. Sam, Dean, and Michael fight back the shedim, but Michael is gravely wounded in the process.

Billie says that Chuck has used up his last resources against the brothers, so now is the time to make their move. She takes Jack, while Sam and Dean search for Amara, thinking she'll know where Chuck is and/or that if Chuck dies, they need to take care of her too somehow. Jack, Billie, and the Shadow confront Chuck, when Chuck reveals that Jack is being played. Billie just wants to end the universe to encompass everything in Death and get rid of all rulebreakers, and the Shadow is helping so it can go back to sleep forever once the universe ends. If Chuck dies, Jack will just be killing himself. Amara brings Sam and Dean to Chuck, and everyone is caught up. Jack refuses to kill, so Billie and the Shadow attack. Amara defends Chuck, and both are killed. The universe starts to fade, but since Jack is now the bridge between humanity and divinity, he has Sam and Dean take on the remaining powers of Chuck and Amara. Sam and Dean then use those powers to erase Billie and the Shadow.

At that point a voice rings out and talks to Sam and Dean. It tells them that he is the true God, and he reveals to them that in the beginning he created the Demiurge which split into two separate beings: the Creator, which also called itself God, and the Destroyer, the Darkness. God balanced these two aspects of the universe for a time until he decided to give them free will of their own. This allowed the Creator to seal the Darkness away and begin to create the multiverse. When the apocalypse happened, the Creator decided to be there for the final battle and wrote himself into the story by using Chuck as a vessel. But the Creator basically left Chuck in the driver's seat for the most part, to the point that the Creator began to think of himself as Chuck. However, once the Darkness and the Creator reconciled, the Creator left Chuck's body and returned to the machinations of the universe. Chuck found himself alive and alone again, thrilled with having walked in the shoes of the universe's greatest writer, and decided to use this inspiration to continue and reinvigorate his own writing. But it didn't come easy. Chuck got frustrated, but then learned that he still had access to all of the Creator's powers. So Chuck decided to pretend that he was God as opposed to back in Seasons 5-11 when the Creator decided to pretend he was Chuck. And because Sam and Dean don't respect him, Becky doesn't respect him, and he has access to all of these newfound powers, he decided to end everything in a way that he thought would make him the greatest writer. But now that Sam and Dean have taken over the halves of the Demiurge, they can shape the universe however they see fit, working together.

Castiel is too far gone to be saved but wakes up in the Empty with complete control over it as the only awake creature therein. Sam and Dean work to control their new powers with Jack's help. The three help heal heaven and Earth. And somewhere on the roads of America, Alt!Sam and Alt!Dean from the other universe begin their search for their missing father.

The whole suck power plan woulda just failed if Chuck decided to just snap his fingers instead of beating them up.
Yep. I thought about that too. That said, at a certain point it felt to me like Chuck was making them stand back up so he could keep knocking them down over and over again. Like Chuck was playing "stop hitting yourself" with the brothers but forcing them to stand up so he could keep hitting them. I guess this wasn't the case and they were just buying time for Jack, but you're absolutely right. If he hadn't changed his mind about snapping them away, Jack would have had to attack Chuck with just the power he had absorbed from Michael and Lucifer (or just Lucifer if Chuck didn't kill Michael too), which would have been a distraction, sure, but probably not enough to draw enough power out of him to avoid being snapped away himself. Agreed that it was a much weaker plan than they seemed to think.

Would that also mean the brothers expected God to summon help in the form of Lucifer and that they would run into Michael AND that the two would fight near Jack, allowing the power suck?
Oh good point since they realized Jack was sucking power before Michael or Lucifer showed up. I'm guessing they didn't originally have a plan for Jack when they first realized he was a power vacuum. Then they really did think that Michael could help them open up God's book. Then when they realized that they couldn't read it at the same time that they realized Michael still wanted to be God's favorite, they came up with a plan to manipulate Michael, and confirmed with Jack that he did absorb Lucifer's power during the battle.

If the damn pages in the deathbooks are blank to humans, then why the hell was it sealed shut last episode anyway?
Also a really good question. We were told that no one can read Death's books unless Death allows them to, so that led us to believe that's why the book wouldn't open, but in actuality that's why the book looks blank to everyone else. So the book not opening was just to hide the fact to the audience that the book looked blank.

So much for Chuck being omniscient...

And who's the next Death gonna be now lol?
Lol, if all the monsters are gone, and all the demons and angels are locked in their respective realms, there shouldn't be a reason for another reaper to die unless another witch pops up and kills one for some reason. We probably won't get a new Death for a while at this point, if ever!

I guess I will wait until after next week to read that prediction spoiler you highlighted earlier this year, but something tells me you were WAY off. No way you were expecting the happy ending either Drew...
You can probably actually read it now! It was specifically about what I thought would happen with Sam, Dean, Jack, Cas, God, Billie, and the Shadow, and while I got some things right, I got a lot of things wrong. There is still one prediction that theoretically could come true in the final episode, but considering how much I got wrong, I'd say it's unlikely now and is therefore probably safe to read.

A few other things I wanted to mention:

So in my head-canon, God was corrupted by Chuck and the Darkness, and Amara was "corrupted" by God, making him more evil and her more good. So I guess in order to keep this head-canon, I have to believe that Jack absorbed both God and Amara into himself and just left Chuck behind on the ground rather than that still being a God/Chuck mix since Jack said Amara was inside him.

(EDIT: I just read someone else's post online about how dumb it was to leave God alive since he created magic and should therefore know all of it. He should be able to gather the ingredients to do Book of the Damned level spells and beyond with no problem. This also makes me think that I have the right idea with my head-canon, because unless his memories were stolen from him as well as his powers, this is exactly right if Chuck really is God. But if God was absorbed into Jack and all that was left behind was Chuck, it would make sense that he doesn't know how to do any of this kind of magic and is therefore no longer a threat. If that's really God that they left behind, he could make himself ridiculously powerful again in no time, and there would be no way for them to stop him as long as Jack keeps up his no-interference policy.)

But I also find it kind of strange that the universe is still able to exist in this state. If Jack is a black hole for divine energy, how is he able to access that energy? Surely Billie didn't expect Jack to absorb all of Chuck and Amara's energy because then he still would have become the "new God" instead of Billie. She should have expected him to go to the Empty after absorbing them. Then again maybe she intended to kill Jack once he was done absorbing Chuck and Amara, which would cause him to sleep in the Empty forever despite having all that power inside of him. (Though if God can pull things out of the Empty, and Jack has the power of God and the Darkness inside of himself, I think it's theoretically possible that he could just wake himself up.)

Also it feels kind of like a slap in the face for the show to be so anti-God, "God is a villain", "God has to answer for abandoning Earth and not answering all of our questions", and then turn around and say, "Yeah, but God is in everything, he can be hands-off, and we can be satisfied with his presence in everything without needing him to intervene or answer our every question."

Seasons 5 and 11 already said that God/Chuck WAS that kind of God. So why did Season 14 turn him into a villain and ignore all of that just to establish a new God who has the exact same philosophy? (I mean, as a theist, I appreciate that the show wasn't totally anti-God nihilist in the end, but it just made their story of making God become the villain so much weaker and more nonsensical.)

Also, if Jack brought back the multiverse characters, what happens to them when they die? Their universes' heavens don't exist anymore. So are they going to get stuck in this universe's heaven when they die, or are they just going to cease to exist? Or is Jack going to recreate their universes despite claiming to be hands-off?

And since God had to put some of himself into creation in order to let it continue to exist when he left the universe to create the rest of the multiverse, does that piece of God still exist inside creation? Can Chuck access it somehow? Or is that piece of God now a piece of Jack? Or was that piece removed? Surely if Jack is in everything the way God was in everything at the time of creation, you'd think that piece of God in creation is still there. Meaning Jack can die if that is manipulated.

Also I was surprised that there was no role for the Shadow in defeating God/that we never got any extra conclusion on that. Is it still awake/are the things inside it awake? I saw a lot of people speculating last week that the Shadow saying "You made everything loud" to Jack meant his explosion woke up all the demons and angels in the Empty, which would have been interesting. I guess that's something that might come up next week, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

w1seguy20

No Longer a Noob
Oct 26, 2009
Goodness, Drew. You should write novels.

I read your spoilers and gotta say, Sam and Dean being the new divine beings was not something that ever occurred to me or was even possible in my head. It very well thought out though, and at least they would have replacements for themselves I guess?
3) I know this is something that it would probably never occur to the writers of the show to address
oh gawd lol. Its the Avengers Endgame thing again! I would believe that Jack altered everyone's memories or erased them so nothing will seem to have happened to them and they just continue as normal without a clue something happened.
Lol, if all the monsters are gone, and all the demons and angels are locked in their respective realms, there shouldn't be a reason for another reaper to die unless another witch pops up and kills one for some reason. We probably won't get a new Death for a while at this point, if ever!
but... just because no monsters exist perhaps doesn't mean people can't die of illness or natural causes. With no Death, can people still die? I thought there was an episode in the past after first Death died and before Billie became the new Death where people weren't dying and briefly noticed this fact, causing confusion until it was restored... Or am I confusing that with a different show and this deathless episode never happened?
I have to believe that Jack absorbed both God and Amara into himself and just left Chuck behind on the ground
yes this is what I assume is the case and what the writers wanted to convey. The other theory... nah. He can't absorb the human, so if that was God on the ground, what form would he take? He wouldn't look like Chuck since Chuck was absorbed so God would have no form or vessel.

And I thought I was cool for having questions... of course Drew comes by and has 15 more than I do lmao.

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
Goodness, Drew. You should write novels.
Lol, I'm working on a few! I just wish I could finish one...

I read your spoilers and gotta say, Sam and Dean being the new divine beings was not something that ever occurred to me or was even possible in my head. It very well thought out though, and at least they would have replacements for themselves I guess?
I appreciate it! Yeah, it wasn't something that occurred to me until very late in Season 15 when they learned Billie's plans and were talking about the possibility of Jack taking over for God after killing God but then wondering what was going to happen if they didn't take out Amara too. So it hit me right there. "Oh, you need to kill and replace two cosmic beings, why not have Sam and Dean be the pair to replace those cosmic beings?" And then when the alternate Sam and Dean showed up from the alternate universe a few episodes later and started to become more and more like regular Sam and Dean, I felt like they were setting things up for that pair to replace our Sam and Dean.

but... just because no monsters exist perhaps doesn't mean people can't die of illness or natural causes. With no Death, can people still die? I thought there was an episode in the past after first Death died and before Billie became the new Death where people weren't dying and briefly noticed this fact, causing confusion until it was restored... Or am I confusing that with a different show and this deathless episode never happened?
Yeah, you're mixing up a couple of episodes. :) Back in Season 4 when Lilith was trying to break the seals, Alastair kidnapped a reaper (not Death) in order to kill two reapers under the full moon to break one of the seals. Because that town's reaper had been kidnapped, no one was dying. But once the reapers were free, people began dying again.

We're told that Death was locked up underground between Noah's flood and the events of Season 5, and people still died during that period. And Death was dead between the Season 10 finale and mid-Season 12 when Billie was killed, and people still died during that time. So it seems like as long as reapers exist, people can still die even if Death himself/herself isn't around.

The other theory... nah. He can't absorb the human, so if that was God on the ground, what form would he take? He wouldn't look like Chuck since Chuck was absorbed so God would have no form or vessel.
I think a lot of people believe that there never was a human Chuck; it was just God all along. Maybe he created a human vessel himself, but there was never actually a human Chuck in that vessel; that was just a role God was playing the entire time. I personally really dislike the idea that there was never a human Chuck, but if that is true, then the end of that last episode would just be a powerless God on the ground in the human vessel he created for himself (though he should still have all his memories as God unless Jack sucked those up too).

w1seguy20

No Longer a Noob
Oct 26, 2009
Wow. Such emotion. Its really over. If I thought last weeks "season finale" was the great happy ending, this was an even better series ending.
I'll be back later with more thoughts but fresh off watching it just now, I just... no words can do justice

w1seguy20

No Longer a Noob
Oct 26, 2009
Where to begin...

I felt like this episode was split into 3 parts

Watching them go about daily lives like normal people, plus the pie festival almost had me wondering if there were in fact no monsters in this post Chuck world and they were just being normal people despite reading that the episode was in fact a callback to the oldies. Hell, even when the episode transitioned to the hunt/murder part that normally starts every episode, I was thinking in my head that these aren't monsters, they gotta just be humans who love clown masks or something. Until of course the journal came back on the scene, and they actually caught and interrogated one of them.

Then the vamp fight and... death. Oh I was at a loss for words that they actually did it. The huge forshadowing was not lost on me showing that prominent nail before Dean got rammed into it back first. While the drawn out death sequence was a bit overplayed and dramatic then what seemed realistic, I understand the time needed to get everything out. No more deals. No finding ways to come back. This was it. And somehow, I always knew that if the show didn't kill them both "simultaneously" that it would be Dean that went first, as the older brother an all.

Then part 3, seeing Sam "carry on" (btw, such a brillant episode title!) and live his life was not only touching, but sad at the same time. I was so happy to see Dean at peace and he died just in time for Jack to re create heaven to what I imagined it to be. Not a memory trap, but true happiness with those you loved around you. I was glad to see Bobby greet Dean up there, and I read somewhere that without Covid, perhaps we could have gotten Cas to do it, or even other memorable characters to join the welcome party (like Rufus etc, even though I read John and Mary would not be present regardless, that woulda been an even better welcome). Watching Dean on his drive while Sam's years played out in a back and forth montage (not to mention the best song ever on the radio) was so amazing. I'm surprised Sam got to grow old and even get a son to raise. How and who he got that son from, no idea. But I didn't really care. If I had to guess, he probably adopted since no woman was mentioned or shown, but who knows.
And I nearly teared up when they were finally reunited in heaven. Yes, Bobby said time works differently up there. The time it took for Dean to take a drive was the rest of Sam's life... and yet its so perfect to me because I can totally see Heaven time going slower than Earth time, so that it doesn't seem long at all to the people up there to be joined by their loved ones and they dont have to wait years to be reunited. I loved nearly everything about the final minutes.

All that being said, I can't think of anything outside of unanswered plot lines that Drew will most likely remember to nitpick at. In other words there's no way this wasn't a nearly flawless ending to the series and for anyone to think differently, in my humble opinion.

I'll try some nitpicking though. Surely the fate of the alt universe people, if they were brought back to this universe by Jack, wasn't revealed. Maybe we're meant to assume Jack restored them to their own universes, or of that wasn't the case, they just merged with their version in this universe somehow?
And yeah, there probably isn't a new Death, but who needs a Reaper boss anyway lol
Also missed some of the explanatory dialogue in Heaven between Bobby and Dean regarding Jack and what he did to Heaven/the universe, so perhaps it was answered indirectly, but I wasn't sure how Cas wasn't stuck in the Empty, and if he was the only one pulled out, or if other angels were too.
And I coulda swore that both Sam and Dean were basically destined for Hell because of things they did in so many previous seasons, but I'm sure it was all explained away by Jack "being God" and changing all that.

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
Watching them go about daily lives like normal people, plus the pie festival almost had me wondering if there were in fact no monsters in this post Chuck world and they were just being normal people despite reading that the episode was in fact a callback to the oldies. Hell, even when the episode transitioned to the hunt/murder part that normally starts every episode, I was thinking in my head that these aren't monsters, they gotta just be humans who love clown masks or something. Until of course the journal came back on the scene, and they actually caught and interrogated one of them.
Same. I was even holding out hope after the journal. It wasn't until the guy survived a bullet through the head that I was convinced they weren't humans.

It was really interesting seeing them pull another Season 1 character out of the woodwork for this episode (I had to search through the wiki to remember who Jenny was though), but random vampires wearing skull masks were a bit disappointing to me...

While the drawn out death sequence was a bit overplayed and dramatic then what seemed realistic, I understand the time needed to get everything out.
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I expected to, but I had two big problems with it, and this was the first one. And I have a problem with it for several reasons:

1) Like you said, it seemed to go on for a ridiculously long time. Sam absolutely could have called an ambulance in the amount of time it took Dean to say all that, preliminarily patched him up with the first-aid kit, and possibly kept him alive long enough for a hospital to save his life. His death felt totally unnecessary, and Dean accepting it as his death given everything they've faced felt really weak to me.

2) It bugs me that Dean would die this way anyway. Sure, Chuck isn't here to give the brothers plot armor anymore, but there was a whole episode about Dean and Sam getting blessed by the goddess of luck to get all of their Heroes' Luck back, which should have completely restored their plot armor, meaning they could still die, but not die randomly when they're in the midst of something heroic.

3) Why vampires? There was nothing particularly interesting about these enemies, and apparently they didn't even find the boss of the nest. Their leader is still out there somewhere. Why bring that up if the show wasn't going to address it?

No more deals. No finding ways to come back. This was it. And somehow, I always knew that if the show didn't kill them both "simultaneously" that it would be Dean that went first, as the older brother an all.
Yeah, especially since they already did Sam being killed off first in the Season 5 finale. Of course they also had Dean being "killed off" first in the Season 7 finale and had Sam decide not to try to bring Dean back between Seasons 7 and 8 (Sam even got a dog and a love interest during this time, just like he got Dean's dog and a love interest (probably Eileen) when Dean died). Weird that this part of the series finale would be so much of a retread of an episode/story arc we've already gotten.

Then part 3, seeing Sam "carry on" (btw, such a brillant episode title!)
Personally I was hoping for "Carry On Wayward Son" since the series has a habit of using full music song titles for its episodes, and because there's already a Supernatural episode called "Keep Calm and Carry On", so just "Carry On" doesn't differentiate itself quite enough to me.

All that said, I agree that it was nice to see Sam carry on while Dean got to have paradise in a better version of heaven.

I'm surprised Sam got to grow old and even get a son to raise.
I feel like he still died pretty young though. He was 37 at the end of the show, and his son looked like he was in his 20s when Sam died. So if Sam had his son when he was 40, he still would have died when he was 60-70, which is pretty young for someone who kept himself in as good shape as Sam did.

Then again, the wife didn't show up at Sam's deathbed, so she may have died earlier, which may have contributed to him dying when he did. I also thought it was weird that the son had a demon tattoo since Jack said he was going to put all of the demons back in hell, and it looked like Sam wasn't still hunting monsters, but maybe the son just saw his dad's tattoo and thought it looked cool. Or maybe the mom was killed by something supernatural, so the son decided to become a hunter against Sam's wishes. Who knows.

How and who he got that son from, no idea. But I didn't really care. If I had to guess, he probably adopted since no woman was mentioned or shown, but who knows.
When Sam and his son were throwing a football, there was a woman standing on the porch of Sam's house behind them. She was out of focus though, likely because they couldn't get Eileen's actress back for the episode. Or maybe because they wanted to let the fans decide for themselves whether Sam ends up with Eileen or someone else.

And I nearly teared up when they were finally reunited in heaven. Yes, Bobby said time works differently up there. The time it took for Dean to take a drive was the rest of Sam's life... and yet its so perfect to me because I can totally see Heaven time going slower than Earth time, so that it doesn't seem long at all to the people up there to be joined by their loved ones and they dont have to wait years to be reunited. I loved nearly everything about the final minutes.
Agreed. Everything in heaven was beautiful. It was a bummer to have Bobby mention that Cas helped Jack fix heaven, but we never saw Cas or learned how he escaped the Empty (not to mention the character absences that likely would have been there if not for COVID), but otherwise it was perfect.

Which leads me to my second big disappointment of the episode, which you have adeptly hit on, Wise, lol. What happened to the Empty?! Jack made everything loud, and Jack apparently took Cas out of the Empty, so it's probably not back asleep. And what was with Cas promising to get Ruby out of the Empty if the writers had no intention on following up with that? What about the Apocalypse World characters? Did Jack bring them back too, and if so, where do they go when they die if their universe and their universe's heaven no longer exists?

I do appreciate that this episode answered what the angels did to Bobby in heaven, but there were a ton of other unanswered questions that I wish the show had addressed. However, I don't count those unanswered questions as big disappointments of the episode since it really wasn't this episode's place to answer many of them. I'll divert that disappointment to the final season rather than blame the finale.

But yeah, apart from being disappointed in the way Dean died and disappointed that the giant threat of the Empty wasn't resolved, this was a pretty great episode. I disliked the way Dean died, but his dying speech was great. Sam carrying on was great. The new heaven and Dean's time there was great. All that said, I think the previous episode worked better for me as a series finale than this one did. Overall I think I'd go:

Swan Song > Inherit the Earth > Carry On > Alpha and Omega in terms of potential series finale episodes for me.

Also missed some of the explanatory dialogue in Heaven between Bobby and Dean regarding Jack and what he did to Heaven/the universe, so perhaps it was answered indirectly, but I wasn't sure how Cas wasn't stuck in the Empty, and if he was the only one pulled out, or if other angels were too.
Yeah, the explanation was vague. We were just told that Jack fixed heaven by tearing down all the walls, and Cas helped him do it. Some people are interpreting that line to mean that Cas is still trapped in the Empty, but because of how Cas raised Jack, that taught Jack that the best way for heaven to operate would be to not have everyone reliving their favorite memories there. But it makes more sense to me that Jack actually pulled Cas out of the Empty, though that does raise the question about why the Empty doesn't come to heaven to raise problems there when we know its capable of doing that.

And I coulda swore that both Sam and Dean were basically destined for Hell because of things they did in so many previous seasons, but I'm sure it was all explained away by Jack "being God" and changing all that.
It was explained in Season 14, I think, that the pagan god Anubis is now in charge of determining who goes to heaven or hell by weighing their soul against a feather. If Lily Sunder can make it to heaven for the good she did for the world despite the people she killed, I think Sam and Dean would still make it to heaven... assuming Belphegor was lying about people who have been to hell can't make it to heaven unless God makes an exception, which seems to be the case since Dean was able to get in.

w1seguy20

No Longer a Noob
Oct 26, 2009
1) Like you said, it seemed to go on for a ridiculously long time. Sam absolutely could have called an ambulance in the amount of time it took Dean to say all that, preliminarily patched him up with the first-aid kit, and possibly kept him alive long enough for a hospital to save his life. His death felt totally unnecessary, and Dean accepting it as his death given everything they've faced felt really weak to me.
Eh well I think in the past its normally not an option for medical help to be called because they would have to explain the dead bodies, or in this case, headless bodies and that could get messy explaining it away without revealing the existence of monsters. It would after all just look like Sam and Dean commited a bunch of gruesome murders and going thru all that red tape probably isn't fun. In fact, I can't prove this with memory but the times either one of them even ended up in a hospital at all was surely not at the scene of a recent monster kill but rather away from it and some complications to an injury occurred. Literally only 1 actual hospitalization for each brother comes to mind in all 15 seasons though there may be more but its VERY few and far between for those reasons I mentioned.
2) It bugs me that Dean would die this way anyway.
Yes the way he went out may have been anticlimatic. Were you expecting a blaze of glory that was more action packed or some suicide "I'm taking this monster with me!" to save Sam or something?
3) Why vampires? There was nothing particularly interesting about these enemies, and apparently they didn't even find the boss of the nest.
I know Jenny said she wasn't the boss when they asked her but its pretty safe to say she was probably the boss.
When Sam and his son were throwing a football, there was a woman standing on the porch
bah those minor details. of course you would remember that lol
Swan Song > Inherit the Earth > Carry On > Alpha and Omega
you're gonna have to remind me which one correlates to which season finale lol cuz I don't remember what the episode was from title alone. I know INherit and Carry on are the last 2 episodes obviously, but... If I had to guess, Alpha was season 5's ending? Idk when Swan song was or what it was about.
We were just told that Jack fixed heaven by tearing down all the walls, and Cas helped him do it. Some people are interpreting that line to mean that Cas is still trapped in the Empty,
That is a good idea. They never explicitly said that Cas was actually in Heaven, right? So perhaps he is still down there and if so, that would tie up your question about the Empty wanting to just sleep and perhaps no reason to bother Heaven again since it kinda got what it wanted which was Cas to be trapped there. This would also mean no angels were pulled out to disturb the Empty and as we've seen before, Jack was already capable of making new angels before he became God so I'm sure the angel population is easily restored to higher numbers than just single digits last we heard from them lol

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
Eh well I think in the past its normally not an option for medical help to be called because they would have to explain the dead bodies, or in this case, headless bodies and that could get messy explaining it away without revealing the existence of monsters. It would after all just look like Sam and Dean commited a bunch of gruesome murders and going thru all that red tape probably isn't fun.
Ah, very true. You have a good point. Sam could probably clean up the scene in time since they were out in the middle of nowhere, but it's not a guarantee, and something I didn't even think about that they might need to consider.

In fact, I can't prove this with memory but the times either one of them even ended up in a hospital at all was surely not at the scene of a recent monster kill but rather away from it and some complications to an injury occurred. Literally only 1 actual hospitalization for each brother comes to mind in all 15 seasons though there may be more but its VERY few and far between for those reasons I mentioned.
The only thing I remember that contradicts this is in Season 1 when the brothers are hunting a rawhead at the very beginning of the episode (the only time a rawhead ever appears in the series), and Dean shocks it to death with a taser, but ends up getting shocked himself and the next scene is him waking up in a hospital. But that was just one body (and a kidnapped child) that they would have had to clean up before the ambulance got there.

Yes the way he went out may have been anticlimatic. Were you expecting a blaze of glory that was more action packed or some suicide "I'm taking this monster with me!" to save Sam or something?
I guess I just wasn't expecting Dean to die on-screen. (Definitely wasn't expecting both of them to die on-screen.) If you had told me that Dean WAS going to die on-screen ahead of the fact though, yeah, I think I would have expected a blaze of glory or something a bit more meaningful.

you're gonna have to remind me which one correlates to which season finale lol cuz I don't remember what the episode was from title alone. I know INherit and Carry on are the last 2 episodes obviously, but... If I had to guess, Alpha was season 5's ending? Idk when Swan song was or what it was about.
Swan Song was the Season 5 finale. Alpha and Omega was the Season 11 finale when Chuck and Amara fly off together after Dean goes to detonate the soul bomb inside himself to kill Amara. If you remove Mary being resurrected and the British Woman of Letters shooting Sam, it would have worked as a series finale too (and it was also Jeremy Carver's last episode before stepping down as showrunner for the show).

That is a good idea. They never explicitly said that Cas was actually in Heaven, right? So perhaps he is still down there and if so, that would tie up your question about the Empty wanting to just sleep and perhaps no reason to bother Heaven again since it kinda got what it wanted which was Cas to be trapped there.
True. That may very well be possible. Granted, the actor that plays Cas has said that Castiel got out of the Empty and helped Jack fix heaven, so he's taking the quote literally rather than figuratively, but he's said a number of things that definitely aren't canon for the show, so I guess we could still interpret it figuratively if we want to.

Buffy_1997

Black Canarylicious
★ MOD
Jul 3, 2009
First off, congrats to Winchester bros and company on 15 seasons! We will miss you but it was a helluva ride.

Ok, watching Dean die good was a bit underwhelming. I mean, I figured both Dean and Sam would die in the finale but I thought it would be a much more explosive...if that makes sense to you guys instead of how they went...Dean impaled on wood and Sam of natural causes. But I am happy that Sam and Dean got their perfect Heaven in the end and rightfully and deservedly so!

My nitpicks are.....no Crowley???!!! I didn't read no spoilers and such for the final episodes but I figured that they would bring him back for a cameo. Slightly disappointed that they didnt but perhaps that was never in the plans and same for John and Mary. Watching that final scene I was so hoping that they would've joined their sons on that bridge was nope! Maybe I was thinking too big but ending it with just Sam and Dean looking out over the bridge was golden but still!

And I'm not flaming them for any of that as perhaps it wasnt in the plans or covid made it impossible to get them to film but I was hoping for those particular cameos.

As for Chuck/God...lol. it served him right to get defeated with a plan that he didnt see coming. That's what he gets for being too talkative, cocky and arrogant instead of ending his fight with Sam, Dean and Jack real quick, lol.

All in all, this was a great ride from season 1 to season 15 and I will one day binge watch the entirety to relive it, 9nce again!

w1seguy20

No Longer a Noob
Oct 26, 2009
My nitpicks are.....no Crowley???!!!
Hm, that thought never crossed my mind because he died in the alternate universe. So not only did he die (which in this show doesn't mean someone stays that way) but also died in another universe, that was destroyed by Chuck! So even for this show's standards, the chances of him coming back are slim to none.
And to add to it even more, the happy ending in heaven was a another nail in the coffin. No way Crowley would be in heaven lol

Glad for your thoughts though! It feels weird to not have an episode to look forward to anymore. Like I said earlier, I may just slowly fade into the night from here now that I have nothing to talk about or post... Its been a great run ya'll. I don't know how long its been since you started chatting with me Drew (it wasn't since season 2 though when I started this thread) but I enjoyed reading all of it and your weekly nitpicks.

If I don't talk to you guys again, good luck with everything!

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
I think I finally found and started posting on this board around Season 6. Which is crazy because I've been on IGN since before the show premiered. But I didn't start watching the show until Season 4 was airing, so that contributed to me being slow about finding the place. It's been a lot of fun!

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
I already forgot that that spinoff had been pitched! I think it's a real shame of a spinoff because we already know everything important that happened in John and Mary's love life. The only way they can really do anything else with that story is by retconning the original series away or focusing on the early days of their dating like when they first meet and Mary isn't trying to give up on hunting yet.

But for a show that's supposed to be about their love story, we already know how it ends up, so there's no suspense or mystery.

Unless it's focusing on a John and Mary from one of the alternate universes that were erased rather than the main John and Mary. I guess since that one alt-Sam and alt-Dean were looking for their dad because he had attempted to jump to the main universe too, it could be about THAT John and his Mary which could be a different story and ultimately wrap up with the alt-Sam and alt-Dean finding alt-John, but I doubt they're trying to stick to the show's canon that closely.

I'll be interested in seeing if it goes anywhere though.

Hope you're doing well too, Wise!

Volvagia_slayer

Star
Jan 9, 2005
@w1seguy20

I think... I'm actually about to start The Winchesters. The season just had its finale, and I'm hearing some pretty decent things about it, so it's back on my radar. I'm currently working through a chronological watch of all of Star Wars since I had half ignored the TV shows up to this point, and since I'm currently working through Season 1 of The Bad Batch, I need to slow my watch down so I don't get caught up to Season 2 while it's still airing. So I'm seriously thinking about starting The Winchesters to see what it's all about and give myself a little extra time for Season 2 of The Bad Batch to finish airing.