Status
Not open for further replies.

KingD0mer

MMA Pick 'Em Season 1 CHAMP
Oct 15, 2005
kaliquiz said:
Both Forrest Griffin and Lyoto Machida need to be moved up! [face_shock]
While I am a big fan of Lyoto, I don't feel he should move up yet. He needs to beat someone in the top-10.

As for Griffin, neither him or Rampage change rankings IMO. I have the same mentality with Marquardt. He doesn't drop and Leites doesn't move up because that decision was also botched. Marquardt lost because of bogus point deductions. He was robbed and is clearly a better fighter than Leites.

Regardless, that is just my opinion and we are all entitled to a vote. When we re-do the rankings, Dan Henderson will be moved to MW.

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
:)
I agree, I think Lyoto is a great fighter, but looking at the rankings I can't see how his win against Tito warrants moving ahead of Wandy, Chuck, etc...

Also what will be doing about Arona, who has been AWOL for well over a year now?

KingD0mer

Oct 15, 2005
Yeah at this point we might have to leave Arona off. Does anyone know why he isn't fighting?

Discman2

Pride Never Die
Dec 29, 2000
KingD0mer said:
Yeah at this point we might have to leave Arona off. Does anyone know why he isn't fighting?
i heard he went to go train in the jungle and never came back. [face_silly]

But really though I saw him in a vid about Fihlo and Arona looked huge. Like he was trying to bulk up to be a massive HW. Kinda odd he's completely off the map, even in BJJ.

BOOGEYMAN4

Noob
Jul 14, 2005
KingD0mer said:
kaliquiz said:
Both Forrest Griffin and Lyoto Machida need to be moved up! [face_shock]
While I am a big fan of Lyoto, I don't feel he should move up yet. He needs to beat someone in the top-10.

As for Griffin, neither him or Rampage change rankings IMO. I have the same mentality with Marquardt. He doesn't drop and Leites doesn't move up because that decision was also botched. Marquardt lost because of bogus point deductions. He was robbed and is clearly a better fighter than Leites.

Regardless, that is just my opinion and we are all entitled to a vote. When we re-do the rankings, Dan Henderson will be moved to MW.
I agree with that.

kaliquiz

Blood is the new black.
Mar 11, 2002
But....Forrest is clearly a better fighter than Ramapge!? He's beaten two of the most highly respected, feared and acclaimed light heavy weights the international world of mixed martial arts have ever seen. Also note; both of the people he beat are RANKED HIGHER THAN HIM.

In our WW rankings, so many people had Matt Serra as their #1, or #2 because he was the "current champ". Like it or not folks, Forrest Griffin steamrolled Shogun, outplayed Jackson and is our current lightheavy weight champion.

[face_peace]

Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
Man, Forrest beating Rampage will really throw the LHW rankings into a frenzy.

Forrest beat Rampage
Rampage beat Chuck
Jardine beat Chuck
Wanderlei beat Jardine
Chuck beat Wanderlei
Jardine beat Forrest
Forrest beat Rua
Rua has a great record/reputation, but is injured and hasn't beaten anybody lately
Machida beat Tito & Sokoudjou, but hasn't fought any of the higher echelon LHWs
Rashad & Thiago haven't fought anyone good yet

How the hell do you rank these guys??

Based on wins-losses against just the top-10 ranked guys in the division over the past couple years, here are the top guys' stats:

Forrest Griffin: 2W-1L
Pros: beat Shogun, beat Rampage, current LHW champ. Three straight wins.
Cons: can be argued that Shogun was injured, won a very debatable decision over Rampage. Hasn't faced much other top tier competition, and when he has has lost both times (Jardine & Tito). Is arguably 2-2 against top guys.
Previous notable wins: Stephan Bonner (x2), Mauricio Rua, Quinton Jackson.
Previous notable losses: Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine.

Quinton Jackson: 2W-1L
Pros: former UFC LHW champ, impressive wins over Henderson and Chuck.
Cons: just lost to Forrest (though in a close decision).
Previous notable wins: Chuck Liddell (x2), Dan Henderson, Ricardo Arona, Matt Lindland, Kevin Randleman.
Previous notable losses: Wanderlei Silva (x2), Mauricio Rua, Forrest Griffin.

Chuck Liddell: 1W-2L
Pros: was longtime UFC LHW champ, had four straight title defenses before loss to Rampage.
Cons: before his recent win over Wanderlei, had two losses in a row to Rampage and Jardine.
Previous notable wins: Tito Ortiz (x2), Randy Couture (x2), Renato Sobral (x2), several others.
Previous notable losses: Keith Jardine, Quinton Jackson (x2), Randy Couture.

Keith Jardine: 2W-1L
Pros: KO'd current LHW champ, beat Liddell recently as well.
Cons: just got completely destroyed by Wanderlei, also was rocked hard by Alexander.
Previous notable wins: Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell.
Previous notable losses: Stephan Bonnar, Wanderlei Silva, Houston Alexander.

Mauricio Rua: 0W-1L
Pros: impressive record against top competition, had 13 fights in PRIDE with only one loss due to a broken arm.
Cons: just lost to Forrest, due to recurring injury has only fought once in the UFC, nobody knows what form he will be in when he finally does fight again. A wildcard at this point.
Previous notable wins: Ricardo Arona, Quinton Jackson, Kevin Randleman, Lil Nog, others.
Previous notable losses: Forrest Griffin, Renato Sobral, Mark Coleman (via broken arm).

Wanderlei Silva: 1W-2L
Pros: legend of the sport with many great fights & victories.
Cons: before recent KO of Jardine, suffered three straight losses.
Previous notable wins: Quinton Jackson (x2), many others.
Previous notable losses: Mirko Filipovic, Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Tito Ortiz.

Lyoto Machida:
Undefeated. Wins over Tito and Sokoudjou. Has also beat BJ Penn (huge weight adv.), Rich Franklin and Stephan Bonnar in other orgs.
Hasn't faced any other top tier opponents.

Rashad Evans:
Undefeated. Draw versus Tito which Tito would have won had he not grabbed the fence. Has beaten Bisping and Bonnar and a few other mid-level guys. Yet to really be tested.

Thiago Silva:
Undefeated. Four straight wins since entering the UFC against decent opponents (Mendes, Alexander, Irvin & Drwal). Has yet to be tested against anyone in the top 15 though.

Tito Ortiz:
Sucks.

KingD0mer

Oct 15, 2005
Nice post Trevor. Yeah, it is really tough to rank the LHW division now.

Also look at the LW division. Eddie Alvarez just beat Hansen and Kawajiri. Then Hansen beat Aoki. Aoki beat JZ. Josh Thomson beat Melendez. Ishida beat Melendez and then lost to Uno. Aoki then beat Uno. It is a mess, lol. I'm starting to think that both Melendez and Ishida fall out of the top-10, and Alvarez and Hansen move into the top-10.

Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
Oddly enough I think I would still put Jackson at the top, just barely. I don't think Forrest, despite being champ and beating two great fighters, deserves the top spot. I just don't think he's that good. I think if he had a rematch with Rampage, we'd see a different victor. And I think Liddell would pummel Forrest, which we'll likely see happen once Chuck beats Rashad.

I think I'd have it 1. Jackson, 2. Liddell, 3. Griffin, 4. Wanderlei, 5. Rua, 6. Machida, 7. Jardine, 8. Ortiz, 9. Evans, 10. Thiago.

Dakotawolf_

Ninja rider
Jul 18, 2004
Looks accurate for the most part. Though I'd have Forrest probably at the top spot in the Light Heavyweight class

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
I just now noticed that Lyoto was ranked 7th in the LHW and was ranked 13 in the P4P rankings.

KingD0mer

Oct 15, 2005
U_Canes said:
I just now noticed that Lyoto was ranked 7th in the LHW and was ranked 13 in the P4P rankings.
I think that is because many believe he could make MW if he wanted to.

KingD0mer

Oct 15, 2005
I know you're just trolling but these rankings weren't created by me. They are a compilation of voting done by all members here.

KingD0mer

Oct 15, 2005
I wouldn't say that. There is a good mix here.

Anyways, exactly what part of the rankings do you disagree with? Some of them haven't been updated in a long time. We are currently in the process of updating the LW rankings. Here is the voting thread if you feel like casting a vote:

http://boards.ign.com/mixed_martial_arts_board/b8252/167804615/p1/?34

rt33

Noob
Apr 19, 2002
KingD0mer said:
I wouldn't say that. There is a good mix here.

Anyways, exactly what part of the rankings do you disagree with? Some of them haven't been updated in a long time. We are currently in the process of updating the LW rankings. Here is the voting thread if you feel like casting a vote:

http://boards.ign.com/mixed_martial_arts_board/b8252/167804615/p1/?34

Yeah, I'll make the real list later.

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
When will we update the P4P rankings?

Since then

Fedor beat Sylvia
St. Pierre beat Serra, Fitch
Silva beat Irvin
Jackson lost to Griffin
Penn beat Sherk
Yamamoto idle
Big Nog idle
Hendo idle
Gomi idle
Faber beat Pulver
Shogun idle
Lindland beat Nagao
JZ lost to Aoki
Machida beat Tito
Aoki beat JZ, Uno, Nagata, lost to Hansen
Filho went crazy

Also guys like Torres and Griffin could be in the running.

kaliquiz

Blood is the new black.
Mar 11, 2002
Everyone and their mom had Quinton / Shogun ridiculously high on their ratings for years, and years....They were acknowledge as two of the most dominant LHW's in Japan. Forrest steam rolled them both, and he still gets no love! You heard me, he didn't just beat one - He beat them BOTH. Shogun / Rampage DOWN.

That's....Huge....It's just huge to me. Shogun was previously my fighter favorite hands down ( as of a couple years ago ) and I think Forrest tool'd him. Forrest should easily be on the Top 10 P4P. Period.

kaliquiz

Blood is the new black.
Mar 11, 2002
Also, why does no one talk about that BS decision Tito got over Forrest? [face_thinking]

Damian_D

Noob
Jul 11, 2008
I miss D0mer.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Damian_D said:
I miss D0mer.
banned for being a douche

[face_mischief]

iwasfn47

Lets go Broncos?
Feb 26, 2004
Are we gonna be doing PforP rankings before the GSP/Penn fight? Thats still 4 months out, I say do one after the LHW rankings are done, and then they'll be set for the next 4.

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
I was going to say our HW division needs redone, but honestly, thinking about it, the division has become so disoriented that that it probably needs to clear up more before we can make an actual list. Nog didn't even look like a top 20 HW in his last performance. Overeem has looked like a world beater, but hasn't faced any top ranked HW's yet. Hunt has been horrible. Aleks looked pretty bad his last fight(although considering his opponent he may not have taken it seriously). Where do you rank Lesnar, Couture, and Mir? Werdum got KO'd by some guy that most people had never even heard of.

MW does need fixed as well. Mousasi probably needs added, Filho has lost

Discman2

Pride Never Die
Dec 29, 2000
HW is a cluster **** right now and it wont clear up any time soon. I think that's the priority for rankings right now but then again Mir/Lesnar has to happen to determine a real #1(#2 really). Fedor needs to fight Arlovski etc

MW needs a desperate update. Mousasi, Santiago, Fihlo, Sonnen, Misaki, Akiyama, Silva, Maia. I think MW is safe to do right now since Anderson is not fighting soon. I say we can start MW rankings soon.

Aug 6, 2005
Discman2 said:
HW is a cluster **** right now and it wont clear up any time soon. I think that's the priority for rankings right now but then again Mir/Lesnar has to happen to determine a real #1(#2 really). Fedor needs to fight Arlovski etc

MW needs a desperate update. Mousasi, Santiago, Fihlo, Sonnen, Misaki, Akiyama, Silva, Maia. I think MW is safe to do right now since Anderson is not fighting soon. I say we can start MW rankings soon.

True, the only constant at HW is Fedor is #1.

Hell even the second constant at HW isn't constant anymore.

ubervamp

Almost Not a Noob
May 23, 2003
yes, that's my top 3.

#1 is the best mma heavyweight in the sport.

#2 is the interim heavyweight champ and #1 contender to the real belt

#3 is the current heavyweight champ

while the rest of you guys have idiots like tim sylvia who gets embarrased whenever he faces good fighters like fedor

or the axe murderer who got jacked up by rampage, whose just 2-2 in the ufc so far.

rankings should be wrestlers who are currently on a hot streak and the 3 guys i listed are exactly that.

Aug 6, 2005
ubervamp said:
yes, that's my top 3.

#1 is the best mma heavyweight in the sport.

#2 is the interim heavyweight champ and #1 contender to the real belt

#3 is the current heavyweight champ

while the rest of you guys have idiots like tim sylvia who gets embarrased whenever he faces good fighters like fedor

or the axe murderer who got jacked up by rampage, whose just 2-2 in the ufc so far.

rankings should be wrestlers who are currently on a hot streak and the 3 guys i listed are exactly that.

Get's embarrassed?lol

I hate Tim as much as the next guy but he was beating Nog pretty bad, he's made AA look like a tool.........And Randy/UFC bookies took advantage of a bad situation for Tim just to make Handy the champ.

As for Fedor.........Who hasn't looked terrible against Fedor?

Do you even watch the fights uber? Do you honestly? You can tell us the truth, we won't think less of you.....I mean how could we think LESS of you when you're bottom of the barrel already?[face_raised_brow]

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
I'm pretty sure that nobody here at any point has had Wanderlei in their top 3 HW's. And I don't even want to know your logic for putting Mir ahead of Arlovski or Barnett.

ubervamp

Almost Not a Noob
May 23, 2003
my rankings go by the guys that are close to being at the top right now. frank mir is one of them. he beat brock lesnar(i know many of you think brock is garbage and he's an embarrasment to the ufc, but he isnt) which was impressive. he beat nog, another impressive victory. frank mir is at the top of his game right now.

he's the interim champion right now, so damn right im gonna have him in my top 3. but you people think that's stupid. frank mir even beat tim sylvia. yet you people have sylvia ranked higher than mir. about 11 spots higher. that's dumb. frank mir is a better mma fighter than tim sylvia. period. all sylvia does is lose big fights. he lost to nog, fedor(in embarrasing fashion), mir, couture. yet he's ranked so high. why?

and brock is the champ and has been impressive in his short carrer. i doubt many purists thought he could beat couture, but he proved them all wrong. and he put up a hell of a fight against mir, and kicked herring's ass(another guy with lots of experience).

so yes, brock and mir are completely justified in my top 3

i dont need to argue fedor because everyone here loves him.

i rank guys based on what they have done lately. you guys rank them based on what they have done years and years ago*

*exception being fedor a bit but he's like undefeated and hasnt really slowed down

Jul 12, 2007
yea, its funny how this thing was updated in dec 08, yet it still has Mir at the bottom and Nog at the top.

Yet AFTER Mir embarassed Nog, you all act like you knew that it was time for Nog to retire. No you didn't, you were talking about Nog submitting Lesnar.

Tim Sylvia is a joke too. Yet you guys defend him for being good a long time ago, yet you hate Tito for the same reason.

U_Canes

Under Construction
Jan 27, 2004
What he said.

And I love how uber bashes people for using the past in his rankings. Then turns around and uses Mir's win against Sylvia. You can't use that without using his losses to Maurico Cruz, Ian Freeman, or Brandon Vera. At that point you would be hard pressed to come up with a legitimate reason to why he should be ranked ahead of Arlvoski. And nobody has said Lesnar was garbage. Some think he is a jackass and that him getting a title shot in supposed best organization in the world with a 2-1 record hurts the legitimacy of the sport. But I think just about everyone has acknowledged that his size and wrestling background alone makes him a threat to just about anyone.

ubervamp

Almost Not a Noob
May 23, 2003
i said mir is so high because he's on fire right now. he's on a hot streak. and i only brought up tim's past because i dont get what's the fuss about him at all. he's not a good fighter now and has lost big fights in the past too. and hes ranked higher than both lesnar and mir. hilarious. im sure lesnar would kick sylvia's ass too.

Discman2

Pride Never Die
Dec 29, 2000
Beating a green Lesnar and beating on Nog, who wasn't fighting back, is not a hot streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.