REALLY_BIG_MAN

Intellectual Property Theft
Jan 12, 2009
United States of America
At 71 minutes of length. The longest individual cutscene is 27 minutes, which happens to be within that 71 minute sequence of the same game.

MGS4 holds 2 world records for:

1.) Longest cutscene in a video game, at 27 minutes.
2.) Longest cutscene sequence in a video game, at 71 minutes.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-5000/longest-cutscene-in-a-video-game/

MGS4 is also the 5th most expensive video game ever made, with a development budget of $60 million dollars.​

Batzi

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid

Sales figures:

Metal Gear Solid (1998) - 6 million copies
Metal Gear Solid 2 (2001) - 7 million copies
Metal Gear Solid 3 (2004) 3.6 million copies
Metal Gear Solid 4 (2008) - 5.5 million copies.

It says that 1 out of every 5 PS3 owners has MGS4 and that it boosted PS3 sales in the UK by 700%.
^ numbers not accurate. MGS4 sold over 5M in 2010. You are telling me that only 500K bought MGS4 in a span of 2 years and a half? I don't think so. Have you seen the PS3 sales figures lately? Do you know how big of a difference those figures changed since 2010? I think MGS4 is between 6M-7M by now.

REALLY_BIG_MAN

Jan 12, 2009
United States of America
Total Metal Gear sales. If there are special editions or re-releases, I combine those numbers for a total number. This includes things like HD editions, MGS VR Missions, Substance, Document, Integral, etc. Exception is Twin Snakes.

Metal Gear Solid - 7.29 million
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 7.36 million
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 4.88 million
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 5.75 million

Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel - 0.07 million
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes - 0.47 million
Metal Gear AC!D games - 1.03 million
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops - 1.81 million
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker - 2.08 million

Stuit

No Longer a Noob
Apr 27, 2005
I for one think that the cut scenes were quite excessive in MGS4, they sometimes seem longer than the actual game sequences. That said, nothing in MGS4 was nearly as bad as the hours of staring at a blank codec screen in the opening to MGS3.
According to Kojima MGSV will be going for a more balanced experience, that's good news.

Solid_Coon

Noob
Jun 11, 2012
Wichita Falls TX
I remember when they packaged it with the ps3 for a time. I'm sure they made some big money off of that also.
apparently bundles are not included in sales count.
Yeah that's why I'm saying we should kind take into account, that if the bundle wasn't available some of those people would have just straight up bought the game. But I'm sure Sony made a deal with Konami to cover this.

Last edited:

REALLY_BIG_MAN

Jan 12, 2009
United States of America
I for one think that the cut scenes were quite excessive in MGS4, they sometimes seem longer than the actual game sequences. That said, nothing in MGS4 was nearly as bad as the hours of staring at a blank codec screen in the opening to MGS3.
According to Kojima MGSV will be going for a more balanced experience, that's good news.
MGS1, MGS3, and MGSPW had reasonable cutscene frequencies and lengths. MGS2 and MGS4 were the ones that were notorious among everyone outside the fanbase, and those two games are frequently cited for criticism.

I put this same thread on the Vesti, and the thread turned into MGS bashing and a Halo circlejerk. [face_plain]

Ayershole

Noob
Oct 11, 2012
Total Metal Gear sales. If there are special editions or re-releases, I combine those numbers for a total number. This includes things like HD editions, MGS VR Missions, Substance, Document, Integral, etc. Exception is Twin Snakes.

I expected Ghost Babel to be a little lower that the rest, but not even 1m? And same for Twin Snakes? Crazy. Still got my copy of GB!

makeshiftnh

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 25, 2013

I can't believe MGS3 is so low. That's still my favorite all-around MGS.

Stuit

No Longer a Noob
Apr 27, 2005
MGS1, MGS3, and MGSPW had reasonable cutscene frequencies and lengths. MGS2 and MGS4 were the ones that were notorious among everyone outside the fanbase, and those two games are frequently cited for criticism.

The thing MGS4 did was cut down on the mandatory codec sessions. Overall, MGS2 was the worst in this regard, but MGS3 takes the crown for the most ridiculous opening.

drawingguts

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 30, 2010
speaking of mgs4. anyone want to know what happens to old snake after mgs4?

ill understand if you hate me :)

Jan 21, 2005
I can't believe MGS3 is so low. That's still my favorite all-around MGS.

MGS2 backlash hurt its sales in its initial release. I just think there were people who said, "Never again" after being disappointed in MGS2. Maybe they ended up playing MGS3 at some point by either renting it or borrowing it from a friend, but I don't think they were lining up in droves on day one for MGS3 the way they were in 2001 for Sons of Liberty. MGS3 got great reviews and positive word of mouth from people who actually played the game. But for anyone who didn't play either of these games, it's their loss. They're both excellent.

drawingguts

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 30, 2010
I was disappointed at first when they started releasing info on mgs3 and you weren't going to find out what happens to snake and raiden. so my expectations were low... then i played mgs3 and my god..so good. i just love mgs2 so much. but 3 is so good. ahh but ones the best... but ahh (again) mgs4 pulls it all together.

makeshiftnh

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 25, 2013
MGS3 takes the crown for the most ridiculous opening.

What was ridiculous about it? It was long, but it was mission briefing so that's kind of necessary.

I was disappointed at first when they started releasing info on mgs3 and you weren't going to find out what happens to snake and raiden. so my expectations were low... then i played mgs3 and my god..so good. i just love mgs2 so much. but 3 is so good. ahh but ones the best... but ahh (again) mgs4 pulls it all together.

Plot:
MGS1
MGS3
MGS2
MGS4

Setting:
MGS3
MGS4
MGS1
MGS2

Characters (first appearance):
MGS3/MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

Boss Fights:
MGS3
MGS4
MGS1
MGS2

Gameplay:
MGS4
MGS3
MGS2
MGS1

Last edited:
D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
At 71 minutes of length. The longest individual cutscene is 27 minutes, which happens to be within that 71 minute sequence of the same game.​
MGS4 holds 2 world records for:​
1.) Longest cutscene in a video game, at 27 minutes.​
2.) Longest cutscene sequence in a video game, at 71 minutes.​
MGS4 is also the 5th most expensive video game ever made, with a development budget of $60 million dollars.​

Was MGS2 the previous record holder?

That's the reason why I didn't like MGS3 when I picked it up at launch. I had to wait 7 years for that MGS2 cliffhanger to be resolved. It messed up the flow of the story, I think and it added more questions than answers, to which then MGS4 had to tie everything together and became a longer game than MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 combined.

MGS3 takes the crown for the most ridiculous opening.

What was ridiculous about it? It was long, but it was mission briefing so that's kind of necessary.

Plot:
MGS1
MGS3
MGS2
MGS4

Setting:
MGS3
MGS4
MGS1
MGS2

Characters (first appearance):
MGS3/MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

Boss Fights:
MGS3
MGS4
MGS1
MGS2

Gameplay:
MGS4
MGS3
MGS2
MGS1

You just opened up a can of worms.

Batzi

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada

The thing MGS4 did was cut down on the mandatory codec sessions. Overall, MGS2 was the worst in this regard, but MGS3 takes the crown for the most ridiculous opening.
Nothing about MGS3 was ridiculous. This game was almost perfect.

ghos2

Almost Not a Noob
May 31, 2009
Missouri
I'm with Stuit. Snake Eater's introductory/briefing segments were fairly ridiculous. The airplane/halo jump sequence was great, but everything else was poorly executed exposition. Granted, there was quite a bit of information that needed to be conveyed to the player, but I think it could have been done better. It's been a good while since I've actually watched/listened to MGS3's introduction in its entirety. I just want to get to the mission.

MGS4 is the worst when it comes to cutscenes though, by far.

D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
I'm with Stuit. Snake Eater's introductory/briefing segments were fairly ridiculous. The airplane/halo jump sequence was great, but everything else was poorly executed exposition. Granted, there was quite a bit of information that needed to be conveyed to the player, but I think it could have been done better. It's been a good while since I've actually watched/listened to MGS3's introduction in its entirety. I just want to get to the mission.

MGS4 is the worst when it comes to cutscenes though, by far.
MGS3's opening put me to sleep.

makeshiftnh

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 25, 2013
Of all the random crap in Metal Gear, people are complaining about a 5 minute recap of Cold War events for a game set in Cold War Russia. Really?

D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
Of all the random crap in Metal Gear, people are complaining about a 5 minute recap of Cold War events for a game set in Cold War Russia. Really?
It wasn't the cutscene or it's content. It was the presentation.

Stuit

No Longer a Noob
Apr 27, 2005
Not that part, the part where you spend forever staring at the codec screen after you've landed.
MGS1 is the one game in the series that got the opening truly right. Just a quick introduction, then it's all yours.

Last edited:
D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
Not that part, the part where you spend forever staring at the codec screen after you've landed.
MGS1 is the one game in the series that got the opening truly right. Just a quick introduction, then it's all yours.
Yeah, it got the atmosphere, mood, setting, etc right. The best part is that if you do want to get the detailed information, at length, you could watch the 20 minutes of briefing videos, which were still more interesting than the MGS3 opening.

Angler

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah, it got the atmosphere, mood, setting, etc right. The best part is that if you do want to get the detailed information, at length, you could watch the 20 minutes of briefing videos, which were still more interesting than the MGS3 opening.
I love the MGS3 opening. I loved every second of it. But don't get me wrong I still think MGS1 had a better opening.

Batzi

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
I love the MGS3 opening. I loved every second of it. But don't get me wrong I still think MGS1 had a better opening.
MGS1 had the best codec sequences, amazing music and awesome characters overall. "The best is yet to come" was truly moving and emotional and nothing in the series came close to it. When Kojima brought it back in Act 4 I almost dropped down and started crying from the awesomeness and the memories it brought back!

makeshiftnh

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 25, 2013
Last edited:

PoorMr.Blue

No Longer a Noob
Nov 27, 2005
I thought that the MGS3 opening sequence post Halo-jump was consistent with the kind of quiet, lonely mood of much of the game. Not extremely tight, but rather, atmospheric.

Edit: But I could understand a complaint about the lengthy coded bit, I suppose...

I guess this was a useless post, but I'll leave my opinion up there.

Last edited:

REALLY_BIG_MAN

Jan 12, 2009
United States of America
Wow, MGS2 getting absolutely no credit as per usual.

You guys are telling me you didn't like the bungee jump off the bridge, or the hostile takeover? The first 25% of the game, the whole Tanker chapter, was the probably the best opening out of the entire series. MGS3 or PW had the worst introductions because of horrid pacing. At least MGS4 for all it's flaws nailed it with the "War has changed" speech with the Arabian music. MGS1's was good.

drawingguts

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 30, 2010

You guys are telling me you didn't like the bungee jump off the bridge, or the hostile takeover? The first 25% of the game, the whole Tanker chapter, was the probably the best opening out of the entire series. MGS3 or PW had the worst introductions because of horrid pacing. At least MGS4 for all it's flaws nailed it with the "War has changed" speech with the Arabian music. MGS1's was good.

hey i wrote some mgs2 love on here

drawingguts

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 30, 2010
but i love all the mgs's.... i have to chose one though. but they are all so good. some people's lives are shaped by star wars or star trek or whatever the #$&% but mine is "METAL GEAR"

REALLY_BIG_MAN

Jan 12, 2009
United States of America

hey i wrote some mgs2 love on here
I see it now, I couldn't find it because it was buried in the thread near the middle, easy to miss.

makeshiftnh

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 25, 2013

I agree that MGS2 had the best opening and the MGS3 opening had pacing issues, but it's by no means a ridiculous intro as others have said.

gamemiester

No Longer a Noob
Jun 3, 2005
The reason MGS3 didn't sell aswell as the others is because in US it came out around the same time as GTA San Andreas and Halo 2 and lost out on competition and being overshadowed.

When MGS3 came out in March 2005 in Europe it happened again because it was only a week after Gran Turismo 4 came out. Same with Japan MGS3 and GT4 came out 2 days apart.

Angler

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 21, 2012
I never said that I don't like MGS2. It's perfect as Batzi said. Why are we fighting over which game is good...? Can you guys realize that MGS doesn't have time for 'fav and better' fights. Kojima is the best damn game seller I know, and this board deserves less fighting over this silly topic. Let's get back to honoring every game instead of fighting like this. C'mon now, you guys are better than this.

D

deleted-1085394

Original poster
I never said that I don't like MGS2. It's perfect as Batzi said. Why are we fighting over which game is good...? Can you guys realize that MGS doesn't have time for 'fav and better' fights. Kojima is the best damn game seller I know, and this board deserves less fighting over this silly topic. Let's get back to honoring every game instead of fighting like this. C'mon now, you guys are better than this.
Exactly what I said in another thread, FF and Zelda are the ones with the fractured communities.

TheMadTitan

A Colloquial Formality
Aug 22, 2004
25 Ray fight da bess.

Taking on all 25 of those bitches and beating them without taking damage shall be my greatest gaming achievement.