Carryduffp

No Longer a Noob
Aug 31, 2011
(Northern) Ireland
I have been becoming a fan of metal music for a while now and have been trying different genres (haven't gone as far as death and black yet). I struggle to understand a lot of vocals that are screamed, whether it is due to the singers style or talent I don't know. This became very apparent when I listened to Sounding the Seventh Trumpet by Avenged Sevenfold. I really like the album but I can't understand the vocals. When I listen to Waking the Fallen (their next album) I can understand the screaming, not all of it but quite a bit of it. I find the screaming by other bands such as Slayer and Trivium to also be difficult to understand, same with a lot of other bands.

Is there anything I can do that will help me make out what is being sang during screaming? Reading lyrics helps me make out the words but I don't want to read the lyrics of every song I listen to. Please give me any advice you can, good metal bands for me to listen to would also be appreciated.

Starky111777

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 27, 2007
Friggin n00b....For the most part no, we like them cuz they sound good, think of them as another instrument....But once you read the lyrics a few time with the song, then yea...Btw Check out my last thread about The Safety Fire, you'll like them a lot

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
I don't. And I don't particularly care. As was previously said, they're more like another instrument. The vocals just need to add to the atmosphere of the song rather than be the focal point. In metal it's mostly about the music pure and simple. And a lot of times when you people shitting on bands and saying they aren't metal even when the music is metal-like in sound, it's probably because the music isn't their focus. It's their hot female singer, their tattoos/scene style, etc... they don't really present themselves as metal. Blah, blah, fucking blah... I'm going off on a tangent.

Who cares what's being said? Do the vocals add something to the music? That's what matters.

Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
You can understand after a while. Listen to Dark Tranquillity enough and Stanne's vocals sound just like spoken word.

But if you can't understand Slayer's vocals then there is no hope for you. Sorry OP [face_rose]

Assburgers

Noob
Aug 29, 2012
I enjoy both clean and growling/screaming vocals. To me, certain types of metal fit much better with growling and intensifies the emotion behind the music.

If I really want to understand the lyrics, I'll read them as the song is playing. But to tell you the truth, most of the time I'll just listen to the quality of the vocals rather than try to make out the lyrics. It's not always easy given that I listen to some black metal bands that don't have english vocals!

Last edited:

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
Certain bands' growls are easier to understand than others; Grave, for instance, usually has lyrics that can be understood without referencing the lyrics sheet. For the most part though, I really don't pay attention to lyrics in music. I focus on the music itself more than the lyrics, with very few exceptions.

KCD1XD

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 15, 2006
With most of the bands I listen to, the lyrics pretty much become an instrument. Certain lyrics may present themselves more than others, but it usually all just melds together.

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
Once you get familiar with the vocalist it's really not a problem imo.
I dunno... I can't understand Wolves in the Throne Room for shit aside from a few passages.

It's black metal, they're not actually saying stuff. Just screaming for shits n...well, not giggles.

Black metal is usually easier to understand than other genres like grindcore, in my experience.

KCD1XD

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 15, 2006

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
Black metal has a rage to the vocals... but it's a controlled and condensed rage. More aggressive and just purely angry stuff like grindcore is almost all emotion (assuming we're talking about the kinds that do just wail and scream... not the death metal-like grind). And, in my experience, it's harder to understand a vocalist that really is just letting it all out rather than someone 'doing vocals'. Nah, mean?

Swarmix

Noob
Nov 24, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
You'll get used to them. A7X and Trivium's "screamed" vocals are very understandable, it just takes you a while if you're new to it. Until then... you'll just have to look the lyrics up, I guess.

When I was new to death metal I loved the hell out of Peter Tagtgren's vocals (still do) because they were generally very audible to me.

Carryduffp

No Longer a Noob
Aug 31, 2011
(Northern) Ireland
I still can't understand the screaming in Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. However I have no problem understandig Slayer, I don't know what I was thinking. Do they even scream? From the albums I've heard they don't seem to. I can make out the lyrics from that song 'eaten' so hopefully that is a good sign. As for Black metal I have only heard one song (IMMORTAL- All Shall Fall) and I thought they were speaking another language until I looked up the lyrics...

AndyP_666

Noob
Nov 19, 2013
Scotland
I still can't understand the screaming in Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. However I have no problem understandig Slayer, I don't know what I was thinking. Do they even scream? From the albums I've heard they don't seem to. I can make out the lyrics from that song 'eaten' so hopefully that is a good sign. As for Black metal I have only heard one song (IMMORTAL- All Shall Fall) and I thought they were speaking another language until I looked up the lyrics...
You were lucky with Swarmix posting that song, Peter Tägtgren the singer at the time is one of the only death metal singers that is quite easy to understand. with Death Metal though i dont really pay attention to what the lyrics are, i think of the singing as more of a precussive instrument to blend in with the music. and if i dig the song il read through the liner notes to see what the hell they are going on about. and all i have to say about avenged sevenfold is why would you want to know what he is saying, will be just as boring as the music [face_sleep]

Last edited:

Carryduffp

No Longer a Noob
Aug 31, 2011
(Northern) Ireland
You were lucky with Swarmix posting that song, Peter Tägtgren the singer at the time is one of the only death metal singers that is quite easy to understand. with Death Metal though i dont really pay attention to what the lyrics are, i think of the singing as more of a precussive instrument to blend in with the music. and if i dig the song il read through the liner notes to see what the hell they are going on about. and all i have to say about avenged sevenfold is why would you want to know what he is saying, will be just as boring as the music [face_sleep]

I don't really get why people say that they have uninspired lyrics etc. I mean using what we have in this thread I would say most songs by Avenged Sevenfold would have more meaning than getting eaten. Avenged Sevenfold's music probably is generic but it sounds good so I like; I have nothing really to defend why I like them, I just like their sound.

AndyP_666

Noob
Nov 19, 2013
Scotland

I don't really get why people say that they have uninspired lyrics etc. I mean using what we have in this thread I would say most songs by Avenged Sevenfold would have more meaning than getting eaten. Avenged Sevenfold's music probably is generic but it sounds good so I like; I have nothing really to defend why I like them, I just like their sound.
Haha, im sorry dude was only taking the piss, wasnt meaning to offend ya. Not a fan of the band but respect what they do, and even through im not keen would rather listen to them than 99% of the shite out there that passes for music nowadays!!!!! Sorry for any offence caused buddy. [face_peace]

Jan 13, 2014
Ireland
I found myself in the same predicament as yourself good sir Carryduffp, as I started my growly journey. I find the best way to understand screaming vocals is to prepare yourself before hand. Firstly, never listen to screaming/growling vocals on an empty stomach; this will cause an echoing effect in your person and will only serve to distort the sound more. Secondly, grow a beard; I don't know why, but this helps. Thirdly, wearing a brimmed hat, such as a fedora or trilby, can help funnel the vocals more efficiently into your ear canals. The last and most important trick to understanding screamed/growled vocals is to never tell someone you don't understand them. If they question you on it simply tell them they're wrong and how much better of a person you are than them. If you are confident enough in your argument they will believe you, and in tandem, question everything they ever believed in before, turning them into a soulless husk.

You now understand screaming vocals :)

Carryduffp

No Longer a Noob
Aug 31, 2011
(Northern) Ireland
So yeah I just decided to dive into some of the more extreme metal music to see if I liked it. I've tried Behemoth and a local band, Sorrowfall. I can understand some Behemoth lyrics and Sorrowfall's vocals aren't too hard to understand. I quite liked what I've heard so I'll listen to some more of this kind of music in the future. I've had a lot of French melodic death metal bands recommended to me on YouTube for whatever reason :/

Haha, im sorry dude was only taking the piss, wasnt meaning to offend ya. Not a fan of the band but respect what they do, and even through im not keen would rather listen to them than 99% of the shite out there that passes for music nowadays!!!!! Sorry for any offence caused buddy. [face_peace]

No offence was taken, you can dislike whatever you want.

Donniemaxx

Noob
Mar 5, 2014
Arizona
Look up their lyrics and read along. If you've ever heard of The Ghost Inside, their lyrics are very difficult to understand. I learned all of the words to one song, and I have an easier time understanding what he says on the rest of the album. I've been trying this out. You kinda just have to understand how they use their voice before you can understand what they say....IMO. [face_worried]

Swarmix

Noob
Nov 24, 2013
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh yeah, now I totally understand if you have trouble understanding Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. Years later and I still can't understand what the fuck he's saying on some of the songs. Most of their other stuff is pretty easy to make out though.

Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
Could tell it was going to be crap within the first 5 seconds. Awful Emmure wannabe band.

WeaponFire

Noob
May 2, 2014
I basically like any vocal delivery other than growling vocals. 2 seconds of black and death metal and I've had enough.
I love Rob Halford singing Diamonds and Rust, Tom Arayan on Evil Has No Boundaries, but **** **** **** those growling vocals.

WinterTundra

Local Anomaly
Aug 21, 2006
Reality
You don't. Props if you do.

Although, I prefer them incomprehensible. When they try to be understandable and clear, it sounds like shit

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002

Although, I prefer them incomprehensible. When they try to be understandable and clear, it sounds like shit

I usually don't care if vocals are understandable or not, but I disagree that understandable growls/screams are always bad. Grave's vocals are usually easy to understand, but I think their vocalists have been pretty high-quality.

WinterTundra

Local Anomaly
Aug 21, 2006
Reality

I usually don't care if vocals are understandable or not, but I disagree that understandable growls/screams are always bad. Grave's vocals are usually easy to understand, but I think their vocalists have been pretty high-quality.
I'm more referring to the recent past American death metal scene. They do this thing that's like death growling but understandable and really headache-inducing. Like Chimera or something

Last edited:

WeaponFire

Noob
May 2, 2014

There's a difference between a growl and a scream...Slayer screams, Linkin Park screams, Helmet screams, SOAD screams but there's never any growling in any of those. I also love all of those bands I just listed and have no problem with the vocals.

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
There's a difference between a growl and a scream...Slayer screams, Linkin Park screams, Helmet screams, SOAD screams but there's never any growling in any of those. I also love all of those bands I just listed and have no problem with the vocals.

Hahahahaha

"Scream" is an incredibly vague term as far as rock/punk/metal/etc. music is concerned. I usually use it to refer to higher-pitched harsh vocals though, like what one might hear in a lot of black metal or thrash metal.

WeaponFire

Noob
May 2, 2014
"Scream" is an incredibly vague term as far as rock/punk/metal/etc. music is concerned. I usually use it to refer to higher-pitched harsh vocals though, like what one might hear in a lot of black metal or thrash metal.
Fair enough. The distorted vocals are what I hate about black metal.

I consider the below song to be screaming

Last edited:

DRExLOC

No Longer a Noob
Aug 8, 2007
Since the last thread was closed, im just going to drop this here ... the first four Metallica albums(especially the first three) shit on just about every black metal album in existence. They completely obliterate and destroy everything wolves in the throne room, burzum, and weakling have ever done. And even thought i'm a big fan of Darkthrone and Dissection, neither of those bands have four undisputed classics under their belts and their best albums still dont stack up to Metallicas best, so yeah. But hey, this is just my opinion.

Thrash Metal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Black Metal

Last edited:

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
Eww, no way. Metallica is poopy and dumb!

While I personally enjoy thrash metal the most, black metal is still a huge favorite of mine. Black/thrash crossovers are a truly glorious thing.

WeaponFire

Noob
May 2, 2014
Since the last thread was closed, im just going to drop this here ... the first four Metallica albums(especially the first three) shit on just about every black metal album in existence. They completely obliterate and destroy everything wolves in the throne room, burzum, and weakling have ever done. And even thought i'm a big fan of Darkthrone and Dissection, neither of those bands have four undisputed classics under their belts and their best albums still dont stack up to Metallicas best, so yeah. But hey, this is just my opinion.

Thrash Metal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Black Metal
I agree 100%. Even ...And Justice is Better, and that album is pretty much awful with no bass except for maybe And justice (the song).

Anyway, getting back on topic. Having gone out and explored heavy metal a bit more I found that Pantera is my absolute favorite metal band ever and I have no problem with any of their vocals.
I also love Front Line Assembly and have no problem with their vocals either.
I still can't get past black and death metal vocals.