-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
While eating lunch today my wife says to me, "Ya know, Hogwarts Legacy. I think I really do love it."

This is coming from someone who had rare achievements in WoW, did a 100% playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2, has finished Witcher 3 a couple of times, etc. She knows her open-world games.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
While eating lunch today my wife says to me, "Ya know, Hogwarts Legacy. I think I really do love it."

This is coming from someone who had rare achievements in WoW, did a 100% playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2, has finished Witcher 3 a couple of times, etc. She knows her open-world games.
I think I’d agree. Basically, you can dock it for what’s not there. Because what is there, is insanely well done. I have some gripes, and the things I really want to see aren’t possible until we get AI, but what is there is as close to perfect as any game I’ve ever played.

Hogwarts is a virtual architectural masterpiece. The producer and director did and amazing job of getting a coherent game finished and better off than most games at launch. It’s running so well, too.

I’ll tell you: this is a game where the sequel will be the shit. I hope they build on this with good DLC though.

I watched a video and they talked about the detail in Metroid Prime Remaster and I think all other games will look entirely plain after Hogwarts.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I don’t want to pick on my gripes now because I don’t want to call attention to them while everyone is enjoying because at it’s core, this is a fun game.

If you’re having fun you might not notice any of it.

My favorite things so far:
- Hedge mazes
- core combat mechanics
- Hogwarts itself

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
Performance update worked great. Playing really well now with the frame rate uncapped. Looks like the XSX has gotten the better end of the stick so far, too.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Wife has put 55+ hours into the game already. She told me she thinks she's almost done with the story. Probably in her top 10 or 5 games all-time, she has really liked it.

Her #1 game will always be GTA: San Andreas.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
That is a bummer, it'd be pretty hard to implement a 3D sport like that though.
Maybe with VR it could be done.
There was a Harry Potter Quidditch game on the PS2/Xbox/GameCube. It had average review scores of 7/10. Decently fun. If they could have just done something like that and improve on it a bit, that would have been nice.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
There is no quidditch. Lots of people are disappointed about that.
How are you going to make that game though? It’s not a good sport based off its rules and it’s sort of famous for the very reason it’s utterly broken as an actual game. Works fine in a book, as actual game it makes no damn sense. When the AI catches the snitch at the end of a blow out that will be clear. It’s pointless. I say fuck the books and alter the game so it’s an actual game and they could do that.

My field guide is 99%. Just dueling feats left. 30 of them. It appears loot is either randomized or different for each school. I’m not sure. Certain quests definitely are different and or have different start locations.

But I’ve been trying to collect all the statues for the room of requirement and they are definitely different between my two Characters.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
I’ve heard estimates for development were around 150 million. It’ll continue to sell because it’s a good video game, too. Visually it’s the most impressive game I’ve ever seen by a wide margin. The animation is spot on. From walking up stairs to acrobatic combat.

I think there will be DLC but they won’t talk about it at all until all versions are released. We still have last gen and switch to go. It’s going to go a lot higher because I also suspect this engine is highly scaleable.

This was one of the most professionally produced, smartly directed games I’ve ever played. It was well edited and I am pretty sure I see the remnants of cut content all over. But they made all the right devices to finish a good fucking video game.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
Warner Bros has confirmed that Hogwarts Legacy made over $1 billion in sales and sold over 15 million copies so far.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
Warner Bros has confirmed that Hogwarts Legacy made over $1 billion in sales and sold over 15 million copies so far.
I thought they’d hit 20 sooner. Feels like an age ago I played that. I know I’ll play it again before years end, too.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
It's crazy how little mainstream coverage gaming still gets when the top titles gross a fucking billion dollars. This is literally one of the top forms of entertainment in the world now, financially speaking, for entertainment giants, and the press still treats it like kid stuff instead of a burgeoning art form.

But I have to say, I don't hear much about this title anymore. A lot of people loved it but it seems that once they put it down, they didn't go back. How many here finished the game?

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
They are coming out with a separate Quidditch game. That’s why they never put it in this one. It’s going to be multiplayer focused.

I’ve still yet to play Hogwarts. I’ll get around to it at some point. But my wife put a ton of hours into it, did most of the side content and finished the game. She really liked it, but it falls short of her favorite open world games (GTA San Andreas, Red Dead Redemption 1&2). She loves Rockstar’s style. Wasn’t really into GTA IV or V though.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
The Xbox One and PS4 versions are coming out now. Apparently they are running pretty well, for a system released in 2013.

Will be interesting to see how the Switch version performs, and how it sells.

IgglooV2

Star
Nov 10, 2013
They are coming out with a separate Quidditch game. That’s why they never put it in this one. It’s going to be multiplayer focused.

I’ve still yet to play Hogwarts. I’ll get around to it at some point. But my wife put a ton of hours into it, did most of the side content and finished the game. She really liked it, but it falls short of her favorite open world games (GTA San Andreas, Red Dead Redemption 1&2). She loves Rockstar’s style. Wasn’t really into GTA IV or V though.

Your wife has good taste in open world games, San Andreas was probably my favorite of the GTAs., and I liked both Red Dead games.

BOP_G_A_Pster

Downwinder
Sep 30, 2010
Oregon, not Portland
When you're in menus do you have to move a cursor around?

I was watching some reviews of Hogwarts Legacy, and noticed a PS5 one seemed to have to move a cursor around instead of selecting items, that seems pretty awkward.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
When you're in menus do you have to move a cursor around?

I was watching some reviews of Hogwarts Legacy, and noticed a PS5 one seemed to have to move a cursor around instead of selecting items, that seems pretty awkward.
Can’t remember if I also selected them. Whatever the case, it never bothered me.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
We will see how it actually performs when it comes out, but the Switch version doesn’t seem to look so bad.

DeadLazy

Prime Member
May 17, 2012
It doesn’t look awful in the video. If it hits 30 and stays there that will be impressive.

-Troopa-

No Longer a Noob
Jul 7, 2019
The Switch is the little engine that could.

Witcher 3? I think I can, I think I can.
Hogwarts? I think I can, I think I can...