D

deleted-1115527

Original poster
I used to post on this board during GT3-GT4 era, my crowning achievement being GT4's Driving Mission 34. Hope there's some hype for GT7, but this board appears dead. So sad :(

D

deleted-1115527

Original poster
I'm expecting GT7 to be the best GT to date. I don't game much anymore so I won't be experiencing it as much as I would like to.

same and same. Also working my way through Elden Ring, which is its own 100+ hour beast. Will probably use them as pallette cleansers for one another

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
What little I've played so far is good....though I do have some complaints all ready...mostly, why is there no damage.....every other Sim racer shows damage, gt7 doesn't, they said they were upgrading the damage model...but I guess not? Just feels like lazy design...
I also don't get why they haven't added a clutch as an option...

Not a fan of the menus or Cafe stuff either...

Over all, still enjoying it

woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Ah, things I've come to expect from GT. Except the menu thing, a kinda charming quirk that's reminiscent of GT2 and GT4, the 2 previous best GTs.

D

deleted-1115527

Original poster
I really don't mind the lack of damage modeling. I'm here for clean, believable racing.

The menu goals are a new direction but I don't immediately hate them. It's nice that they've a curated a path forward, but does remove from the GT3/4 style of tackling what you want to when you want to.

It's just nice to be playing a full fat GT game again after so long

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
I really don't mind the lack of damage modeling. I'm here for clean, believable racing.

The menu goals are a new direction but I don't immediately hate them. It's nice that they've a curated a path forward, but does remove from the GT3/4 style of tackling what you want to when you want to.

It's just nice to be playing a full fat GT game again after so long
The problem is it stops being believable racing when there is no damage.
Mistakes and wrecks happen in real racing. In virtually every race. Therefore, damage should show.

D

deleted-1115527

Original poster
The problem is it stops being believable racing when there is no damage.
Mistakes and wrecks happen in real racing. In virtually every race. Therefore, damage should show.

I agree that it does happen, but as a racing simulator it's antithetical to racing. A majorly damaged vehicle is out of commission and, thus, not able to race. As there's no penalty to retry after you spin out or hit a wall hard, why have it then?

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
I agree that it does happen, but as a racing simulator it's antithetical to racing. A majorly damaged vehicle is out of commission and, thus, not able to race. As there's no penalty to retry after you spin out or hit a wall hard, why have it then?
Realism. It doesn't feel like a real Sim when you can hit a wall, and just bounce off. This is something every other Sim seems to get, but gt ignores. There is no penalty for making the mistake.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
Noticed tonight... there is a sever lack of new cars... nothing of outside of Japan newer than 2019....

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
Noticed tonight... there is a sever lack of new cars... nothing of outside of Japan newer than 2019....
Probably somewhat related to the pandemic. I know they have studios in the US and Europe for satellite work on cars/tracks/etc but who knows what they've worked on lately that isn't in the game.

...Other than a Tesla Model 3 being announced as coming in an update.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
I was hoping they would add more to the tesla line up. as well as a few other manufacturers that currently deal out just one car. Oh, by the way, hello....I dropped in from time to time over the last few years but was only really active here during the gt4 days mostly. Also was active on the cars lobby and lurked the vestibule. havent checked out those forums yet but hope they are still going.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
Yea...they need to add to a lot of manufacturers....for a game that advertised 400 cars...it doesn't feel close to 400...

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
Half the cars are inaccessible due to Used Car/Legend Car rotations.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
That's fine but I do wish the rotation in used cars would...well...rotate more. It seems I have been looking at the same cars since I started. Also, For the main dealers, being that it only deals cars as old as 2001, they missed the opportunity for cars like the chevy cobalt and volt as well as other 4-6cyl american cars. I did notice in many of the recent races, a LOT of classics being driven by the AI like the 400M skyline as well as a few other special models. I was really surprised the C8 Corvette wasn't in the game but I have a feeling it will be added later.

woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Am I mistaken in thinking the C8 was in GT Sport? Also, is the Carrera GT at the dealership or the used cars? I haven't unlocked the dealership yet and I'm keeping my funds high in case it shows up in rotation.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
C8 was not. Carrera GT is in brand central >>>BUT<<< I believe I am only seeing it because it is currently running under some special offer to buy it. Otherwise I think it is a rare vehicle that will pop up in the legendary vehicles rotation. Currently it is 2.3mil

Edit: Just verified, its a time limited offer to buy the car (3/19/22 20:59), after that I suppose it may pop up in legendary dealership, used dealership or as a reward through the forza wheelspin thing

Last edited:

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
I've been told the used cars don't change until you complete the menus. I can't confirm that myself as I'm only on 15 or 16 so far.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
A few cars change based on what menu you are on and once you finish the last menu, it goes on random rotation. I saw people complaining not realizing the relation between the cars in the used lot and their current or recent menu objective. I can't point fingers though, I have caught myself cursing something out only to realize I was misunderstanding a mechanic or something. I still stand by the Car settings and PP relationship is bugged and the roulette tickets. I have gone through 30 and nothing but 2k or 5k prizes lol

GTporsche

Another State of Mind
Sep 2, 2006
I don't know how many tickets I've redeemed, but the only two non-credits prize have been an AMG A 45 and a semi-racing exhaust for said AMG A 45.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
I noticed a lot of slots in the car settings that are not parts you can find in the tuning shop. Looks like there will be special parts to get through tickets and possibly other races/missions. Still so early in the game, I kind of love this part shortly after release when everyone is still figuring things out, lots of questions and answers. It brings people together in a way. I do wish Nick, DOD, Jeff and all them came back. I miss talking with everybody on here.

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
What menu is that? I have never seen that before. I have customized a few cars now and never seen a list of parts like that.
This is what happens when you use a paint scheme that someone else made.
Unlike a logical game, you need every part they had to add it...
Polyphony is stuck 2 decades in the past....

On another note, rolling starts need to die....so tired of knowing I'm the fastest on track...but 2 or 3 laps just isn't enough to catch the guy with a massive head start...

-stubzi-

Prolific poster
Sep 10, 2008
I really wish they would hurry up and fix the broken license tests, I want to gold them all! it's irritating me.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
yeah, trying to make up a quarter mile in a 3 or 5 lap race is annoying. What they could of done was rolling starts in a staggered formation rather than snaking around the track in single file. On some tracks, the line quite literally takes up half the distance around. I recall the "buying parts for a livery" thing with forza as well. But only was applied to rims if they were different, the bodykits and all that were not required. I just looked at your signature and saw something that reminded me of an old friend I had on here. His name was Miniguy77 but he changed his name to Sagara-kun I think. He and Nickthaskater introduced me to online poker lol.

Same here stubzi, I held off on doing any until its patched.

Last edited:

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
yeah, trying to make up a quarter mile in a 3 or 5 lap race is annoying. What they could of done was rolling starts in a staggered formation rather than snaking around the track in single file. On some tracks, the line quite literally takes up half the distance around. I recall the "buying parts for a livery" thing with forza as well. But only was applied to rims if they were different, the bodykits and all that were not required. I just looked at your signature and saw something that reminded me of an old friend I had on here. His name was Miniguy77 but he changed his name to Sagara-kun I think. He and Nickthaskater introduced me to online poker lol.

Same here stubzi, I held off on doing any until its patched.

I think forza will ask you about buying rims, but not force it.

Miniguy is who taught me to play Sim racers, I still talk to him too, though he keeps pretty busy. I can never forget him beating me and a friend in a race on forza, while he was playing poker...

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
I'm very mixed on GT7 overall. Put about 80 hours in, and have gotten gold on everything except for most of the Circuit Experiences, which I'm working on now. It's... like, it's fun to play, but it's definitely frustrating in a lot of ways. Most of which being their refusal to actually make a meaningful campaign. Which like... no other sim does. Even Forza hardly tries really. They all have disparate ideas that work, and nobody puts them together.

And yeah, the obsession with long-range rolling starts, when there are two optional races that are grid starts, and a handful of optional races with really closely packed rolling starts... it's frustrating. Not to mention, they're still using GT Sport's rubber banding, which is just so unnecessary, when it's clear they have competent AI that can race at a pretty high level. It's the most confusing decision they could've made, because usually I can at least parse out a few reasons why it might have turned out one way or another. But every time I've thought of something (like having no AI difficulty options again, awful grid AI, or AI that just can't race fast enough, etc.) it's turned out to be untrue. From every angle I can see, they COULD make pretty damn solid grid racing or closely packed rolling starts, but they just... don't.

I think my video on it will definitely be interesting, because I've really enjoyed playing the game a ton, and look forward to continuing to do so. But man... they dropped the ball hard here, by literally just trying to recreate game design that was outdated over a decade ago.

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
You reminded me of a race I had and I think still have the replay saved where I was in a slightly tuned ae86 going against decent street cars like 350z's and the like. Being that the AI (even on pro) were slow, I went from 20th to 1st by the time we got to the Carousel. Thats when I noticed that an RX-7 was gaining on me. Suddenly this AI woke up and was ripping it in and out of the turns. I dont know if that has to do with the rubber banding or boost thing, but It wasnt just some increase in power but an increase in skill/risk. The GT7 AI seem exactly the same but they are suffering a bit more with understeering I noticed. I have seen them make far more mistakes in the short time I played GT7 compared to GTS. I want the physics of GTS but I do enjoy watching the AI struggle sometimes.

D

deleted-1115527

Original poster
Anecdotally, I have not experienced any rubber banding. I'm on PS5, with all assists off (aside from ABS) and AI on the 'spiciest' difficulty, and when I get ahead, they do not catch up as far as I can tell. I'll keep an eye out for it, though.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
You reminded me of a race I had and I think still have the replay saved where I was in a slightly tuned ae86 going against decent street cars like 350z's and the like. Being that the AI (even on pro) were slow, I went from 20th to 1st by the time we got to the Carousel. Thats when I noticed that an RX-7 was gaining on me. Suddenly this AI woke up and was ripping it in and out of the turns. I dont know if that has to do with the rubber banding or boost thing, but It wasnt just some increase in power but an increase in skill/risk. The GT7 AI seem exactly the same but they are suffering a bit more with understeering I noticed. I have seen them make far more mistakes in the short time I played GT7 compared to GTS. I want the physics of GTS but I do enjoy watching the AI struggle sometimes.

Yes, this is part of the rubber banding. Having done every single player race in GT7 and Sport, which in Sport's case eventually included like 30 small endurance races that were all roughly around an hour long, I picked up on some consistencies that don't make sense if there isn't rubberbanding involved (and yes, rubberbanding can include the AI getting better or worse; not just cars mysteriously gaining or losing power).

In those longer races -particularly when they have more strict vehicle regulations- you can see consistent behaviors show up, which wouldn't be present without rubberbanding. To start out, the leader has a tendency to be really slow at first. On your first lap or two alone, it's not uncommon to gain 50% of the time difference. Once you start getting under that though, you'll notice that you start gaining less time per lap, even if you continue to get personal best laps, and they (which they usually get the Fastest Lap) don't. Once you get within say 20% of the initial time difference, they'll get even faster. What should've taken maybe 4 laps at the original pace, ends up taking 10-15. Then once you lead, they seem to be remarkably adept (relative to their previous skill) at keeping up with you. Though, there is a sort of pressure relief valve, in that they usually also get maybe a second or two slower on the last lap of a race. Normally, I'd just chalk all this up to my own behaviors. But I paid close attention to my lap times, and tried to make them as consistent as possible during that 30 hours of endurance racing (and then throughout the whole career in GT7), and in response, super consistent patterns started appearing.

I did all the races in GT7 on Hard, and even in the shorter ones, this was all pretty consistent unless your car was way faster than them. In those races, it's more subtle, but it's there. I then started experimenting with Easy, and while they're absolute cake to pass there, once you do, they still seem to hang on a bit better than you'd expect unless it rains, or they're in particularly volatile cars. Then if you do some of the optional races with 4 Pepper ratings and whatnot, you'll notice that they're extremely good at keeping distance once you get within maybe a second of them, and/or pass them. Again, relative to your skill VS them earlier in the race.

Thankfully, they seemed to have fixed the most obvious mistake that was present in GT Sport, which gave the rubberbanding away wholesale; if like me you have a tendency to pay attention to the Fastest Lap time, you might notice something peculiar... Even if you're gaining ten or more seconds on a lap, it's entirely possible that the car in first place will still somehow put down an FL that's faster than you. One that's really difficult to beat. This is physically impossible, obviously, because gaining ten seconds on them in a lap means they were objectively ten seconds slower than you on that lap.

At first when I noticed something was off, I thought this was because these races were rolling starts. I assumed it was just that they were getting a really good time on the first lap, because they started 40 seconds into the lap or whatever. I thought they were just starting at 0:00:000 like you do. But when I started paying closer attention, their final FLs were usually a few laps into the race, and their first lap times (if it was an FL) was relative to the expected full lap in that car. Clearly, if Polyphony was giving these cars legit lap times (instead of faking them by rolling dice in the background), they were adding the rolling start difference to their starting time on the first lap.

The point being, there are definitely some pretty ridiculous shenanigans going on. And again, it's kind of a shame, because those 4 Pepper races -if you're playing in a fair car, which in most of them you have to to some degree- they're really competent. Like I said, two of them are grid starts. And the rest are really tight rolling starts, where you only start like 3 seconds behind. The AI here for is not as difficult as a real person, but they're really competent, considering the races are mostly 10 laps and in some of them, one decent mistake will cost you first place, if not a podium. I'm still glad AI difficulty can finally be toggled in career races now. But I'm so confused as to why they can't just give us every difficulty option (I.E. 4 and 5 Peppers as well), and then dial down the rubber banding, rolling starts, etc. It's unnecessary.

Clearly, what they're doing is complex under the hood. But I... just don't really see the point, you know?

Last edited:

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
Is there a way to save ghosts like in games like GT6 and such? That way if I can't get gold in one of these Circuit Experiences right away, I don't have to race against slower/new ghosts when warming up again?

EDIT: Honestly, I kinda just wish I could use the Demonstrations as ghosts...

Last edited:

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
I think they plan to address that and the amount of cars available in general, just gotta wait for the right update. Can't wait to sell duplicates. Speaking of, pretty sure that duplicates will be the only cars you can sell, not models you only have one of.

ZaXoFF7

No Longer a Noob
Jan 20, 2009
Behind you...
Ever any reason given for why used car lot shows sold out cars? What's the purpose of displaying that?

As far as I understand it, Used cars are just like the Legendary cars. Basically, every player shares the same used dealership list once you've finished the career. And when a new car is added, every player collectively buys that car from a giant pool of them. As the pool gets low, it will tell you that it's in Limited quantities. And once it runs out, nobody can purchase any more of that car, and it'll say they're Sold Out until it rotates to the next car in that slot.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Quatre47

Fuwa Fuwa Time!!
Aug 9, 2001
Oklahoma
As far as I understand it, Used cars are just like the Legendary cars. Basically, every player shares the same used dealership list once you've finished the career. And when a new car is added, every player collectively buys that car from a giant pool of them. As the pool gets low, it will tell you that it's in Limited quantities. And once it runs out, nobody can purchase any more of that car, and it'll say they're Sold Out until it rotates to the next car in that slot.

Hopefully that makes sense :)
If that's true, that's an awful system...

The more I play this game, the more annoyed I get with questionable and bad design choices...

geomil21

No Longer a Noob
Mar 10, 2005
Lower cheese, upper corn
Honestly from a developer standpoint its kind of an interesting concept, but I think most people will not care much for it. its just a difference in what you choose to enjoy experiencing. It doesnt bother me personally because I am going to be playing this game for a long time, so if something I like gets sold out, It will inevitably return sometime in the future. I know thats an unpopular look at things, but thats just me I guess.