denacioust

Noob
Jan 1, 2011
laserbeamshark said:
Sure it strayed from the established Splinter Cell path we all know and love, but I think the more action-oriented gameplay worked better than most people give it credit for. Of course, I'd prefer the stealthier approaches that the first 3 games made use of, but I still had quite a lot of fun with Conviction.
Sure, the action-oriented gameplay and ridiculous plot managed to draw in a few more buyers, but they won't be staying. Conviction may have been fun, but will anybody remember it in five years? There are people who still play Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and the previous games to this very day.

zlateh0

Noob
Mar 6, 2007
I loved Chaos Theory and I loved this game; I managed to use stealth for the majority of the game, and the fact that Sam was made much faster helped the game a lot.

Montreal made both of the above, so I don't see why you're calling them rooks when their team of developers makes better games than your ignorant brain could ever conceive.

Wuying-Ren

No Longer a Noob
Mar 13, 2003
I've argued about that fact alot already. They are working on another Splinter Cell, so hopefully they return to more their roots in terms of slow movement/shadows/hiding bodies etc.

I need to feel like a Spy again, not a man out for revenge or a super soldier. Thats why I'm really waiting for the HD releases to come out!

I'm going to Platinum those games in a heart beat.

Sypher_DS

Noob
Mar 8, 2011
Conviction was not a disgrace to the SplinterCell franchise and I enjoyed playing it as much as the first three. I think Double Agent was the least enjoyable of the series.

Does anybody know if the HD remake for the PS3 will have Trophy support?

Wuying-Ren

No Longer a Noob
Mar 13, 2003
Yea, I'm pretty sure it will have trophy support. The God of War Series had trophy support so I don't see why not.

This is gonna be the easiest 3 platinums I ever got.

Feb 19, 2010
Sypher_DS said:
Conviction was not a disgrace to the SplinterCell franchise and I enjoyed playing it as much as the first three. I think Double Agent was the least enjoyable of the series.

Does anybody know if the HD remake for the PS3 will have Trophy support?

let me say something right off the bat. i respect your opinion about double agent and want to argue. but what about double agent do people not like because i thought it was really good, good story, it played the same as chaos theory, and it was (in my opinion) really fun.

Warablo

Almost Not a Noob
Aug 13, 2006
I just recently got this from Gamefly and I am loving it so far.. It certainty is more action based, but it hit the mark with stealth hit and run tactics..

undrtakr900

I Paid $20 and All I Got Was a Lame Title
Aug 7, 2003
^^ Agreed.

Though with Conviction I have to take my mind-set out that its not a [traditional] Splinter Cell game, then try to just enjoy it for what it is. But still, the controls are based around a stealth with action-oriented gameplay so when things get heated/intense you spend more time fighting the controls than the enemies. But I must say Conviction's story is the best out of all of them.

MagyarMatt

Noob
Aug 31, 2010
I've played all the splinter cell games and have to say that conviction is a betrayal of the series. You feel more like bourne or bond than fisher. Yes you can still use stealth but often or not you will end up in a fire fight sooner or later. The story line was daft and overall i hated the game! To be fair if they made this using a new character i would have enjoyed it more but it was not what i expect from this series. Please get fisher back to doing what he does best and bury this nonsense at the bottom of a very deep hole!

undrtakr900

Aug 7, 2003
[blockquote]DoctorCCNU posted:
Conviction was amazing. Others are clunky. THis is all from a gameplay prospective.
[/blockquote]
What?? I feel the exact opposite lol.

I thought the original SC controls were perfect for stealth gameplay, unless you like to play aggressively(?), then I can see why you thought the controls where clunky, since Conviction's controls were tweaked to be more combative-friendly.

SAMNAN

Noob
May 23, 2011
Disgrace? Are you serious? Fair enough, Conviction may have strayed a bit from the normal "stealth" route. But I think "disgrace" is way too strong a description of what was a very enjoyable game.

I played ALL the previous games - again - right before I played this one and doing so left me trying to get used to different controls for Conviction. But that didn't stop my enjoyment of this game. I LIKE shooting baddies! Bring on Number 6!

OnYourSix

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 5, 2007
Being a fan of the SC's 1-3 (missed out on DA) I don't understand how Conviction can be considered a disgrace.

Certainly it's not as espionage heavy as the former installments, but you do have to heavily rely on stealth if you want to make it through the game on Realistic. I can't fault the developers for giving a larger focus on the action elements, because if or when you do mess up, you can get yourself out of a bind better than you could in previous games.

The only thing I wish they had focused a little more on was luring your quarry. There were several ways that traps could have been set that never seemed to work out in the actual game (eg. Sticky Camera) which was only slightly disappointing, I still found the game to be very enjoyable.

Really my biggest gripe would be how short the storyline felt, but considering the Deniable Ops and Coop modes, I can forgive that as well. Deniable Ops Coop rules (though I do miss Spy vs Mercenary).

Maisto

Prime Member
Nov 15, 2001

Splinter Cell Conviction is an excellent game. It has problems, but the first three had problems also. I like this version of Sam Fisher more than the old. The hand to hand additions made to the game for me and the cover system was great. Did miss the night vision.

I hope they stay on this path and mix a little more of the old with the new. Can't wait for Splinter Cell 6!

Sep 18, 2011
I agree with the topic, Conviction sucked more than anything has ever sucked before. It kills me when people think that a game has to change so drastically from one game to another. Chaos Theory was perfect.......make Chaos Theory 2. Conviction totally sucked and in all honesty ubisoft should issue an apology to the diehard fans of the older games. Splinter Cell is SUPPOSED to be SLOW!!!

undrtakr900

Aug 7, 2003
[blockquote]leatherback09 posted:
I agree with the topic, Conviction sucked more than anything has ever sucked before. It kills me when people think that a game has to change so drastically from one game to another. Chaos Theory was perfect.......make Chaos Theory 2. Conviction totally sucked and in all honesty ubisoft should issue an apology to the diehard fans of the older games. Splinter Cell is SUPPOSED to be SLOW!!!
[/blockquote] I don't think Conviction sucked as a game, it just sucked as a Splinter Cell game, because we have certain expectations for Same Fisher. If Conviction was licensed as a Borne Identity game it would have been better suited for the gameplay.

Jun 18, 2011
Nonsense, Splinter Cell Conviction is a great game which leads perfectly from the previous game. With Sam Fisher being able to perform better moves than in previous game with the trouble of failing the mission for killing somebody.

MacabreMoe

Noob
Sep 20, 2011
I really enjoyed Conviction, and I've been playing since Splinter Cell first came out. It's no Chaos Theory, but it's still a damn fine game. They had to change up the gameplay after a while anyway, after four games it was getting a bit dry.

ubervamp

Almost Not a Noob
May 23, 2003
just picked this up on amazon for less than $20 after shipping

played the first mission and part of kobin's mansion

the game is awesome. i like that sam isn't "Slow" anymore. he's a quick, killing machine. and i dont play the game "run and gun" style. even though i think i could get away with it (unlike other SC games), it doesnt matter to me, since i never play that way.

the graphics, sound effects, and presentation are all slick.

for SC6 i agree with most people. mix in conviction with a little more stealth, and it'd be perfect.

Jan 2, 2012
Maisto said:
Splinter Cell Conviction is an excellent game. It has problems, but the first three had problems also. I like this version of Sam Fisher more than the old. The hand to hand additions made to the game for me and the cover system was great. Did miss the night vision.

I hope they stay on this path and mix a little more of the old with the new. Can't wait for Splinter Cell 6!

This.

SMOGmonkey

The chimp is here
Jan 27, 2008
The absolute worst part of this game is that it goes to black and white when you're hidden. What a horrible idea!

Other gripes, everything mentioned above.

May 6, 2011
The game would have been decent if you slapped a bourne title on it and had a Maaattt Daaaaymon char. in it. Sure it was fun to others but the reason why dedicated splinter cell fans hate it is because they broke tradition. The small things they took away. A game like splinter cell is all about patients and slow time action. Conviction looks like they hired some assholes from hollywood to make some crappy half assed movie-game.

Last edited:

vaiostation

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 20, 2012
I know what you mean bro, I never liked that game, because it never felt like a splinter cell game!!!
Its a disgrace!!!!

Apr 11, 2011
conviction? no, blacklist? yeah. I think conviction did well in moving the series forward, but with this new game, it looks like theyre taking steps too far, and now i just miss chaos theory. the real shame here is the lack of the true sam fisher, micheal ironside

C.lemons

No Longer a Noob
Apr 2, 2007
Portland, OR
I've been nothing but a hardcore fan since the beginning of the series, but I'm done.
Hitman is the closest thing to stealth combat.
If I wanted Call of Duty MW 7
I'd buy it
I want Spliner Cell to be slow paced and fucking neck breaking hardcore
But whatever.
rip Sam Fisher

Bueyakasha

Noob
Jun 5, 2012
I have been waiting a long long long time for Spies vs Merc to come back!!!! Conviction Spies vs Merc sucked! I am really hoping that this one will be like it was for the very best and last of the great mulit-player renditions of Spies vs Merc and that was Chaos Theory.
I, like alot of gamer diehards of this franchise, don't give a damn about the single player mode. In fact the only reason I and most will buy this game is the replayability of the Spies vs Merc multi-player. It is the only thing that matters for most of us in this franchise. We were all disappointed with Conviction where they essentially killed this franchise off by dumbing down the multi-player mode, making the game pointless, skillless and just plain retarded aimed for what must be their target market of little kids. This franchise will die and should die if they don't return to what made it great up until Chaos Theory! It needs to return to its former glory of Chaos Theory, and aim for its proper target audiance and that is die hard adult gamers! If they need to allow the game to be selectable for what options the game room host deems acceptable if that game host happens to be a little kid but do not limit the choices right out of the gate.
Here were the differnces that killed the Spies vs Merc
(Ubisoft hope your listening)
1) Only 1 gadget for the Spies. Totally lame. Make it adjustable according to the host of the the game to include as many or as few gadgets as the players joining would like. Do not limit choices!!! Ever!!!!
2) Stealth gone!!! Un-freaking-believable!!! Shadows and sneak attacks are what set this franchise apart from every other game!!!! Let that return to the game.
3) Return to equal power of the Spy vs Merc of Chaos Theory where both were equally as powerful just in their own unique ways. Conviction made the Mercs too powerful against the Spy making the objective the ONLY way to finish the game as you were no match against the Mercs as a Spy and killing a Merc as a Spy was no longer feasable. There were strengths and weakness to play both a Merc or a Spy but the balance was equal in Chaos Theory but lost in Conviction.
Its been so long since I have played either Chaos Theory or Conviction after they removed Chaos Theory from Xbox Live and I know there is more differences between the two but I can not remember all of them. I am sure others whom loved Chaos Theory only for the multi-player will expand upon what I touched upon and list even more differences below my message.
Thanks for reading and I hope Ubisoft gets this message,
Regards,
Bueyakasha a.k.a. Tommy Capano

Bueyakasha

Noob
Jun 5, 2012
CHAOS THEORY WAS THE LAST GREAT GAME OF THIS FRANCHISE! IF BLACKLIST SPIES VS MERC DOES NOT BECOME CHAOS THEORY 2 LIKE CHAOS THEORY WAS PANDORA TOMORROWS VERSION 2 THEN THE FRANCHISE IS DEAD!

IN ESSENCE BLACK LIST SPIES VS MERC (CAUSE WHO GIVES A RAT'S ASS ABOUT SINGELE PLAYER?) SHOULD BE CHAOS THEORY 2 (OR REALLY CHAOS THEORY 3)

CHAOS THEORY SPIES VS MERC = PANDORA TOMORROW SPIES VS MERC ONLY NEW AND IMPROVED OR VERSION 2
BLACKLIST SHOULD = CHAOS THEORY VERSION 2 OR 3

IF NOT THEN SAM FISHER IS DEAD MAY HE REST IN PEACE AND CHAOS THEORY WILL REMAIN THE LAST TRUELY GREAT STEALTH GAME EVER!

Bueyakasha

Noob
Jun 5, 2012
PANDORA TOMORROW = AWESOME!!!!! STEALTH IS FANTASTIC!!!! NO OTHER GAME ON THE MARKET LIKE IT!
CHAOS THEORY = EVEN MORE AWESOME!!!!! IMPROVED STEALTH, GADGETS, STILL NO OTHER STEALTH GAME LIKE IT ON THE MARKET!
DOUBLE AGENT = RETARDED, DUMBED DOWN, OPTIONS GONE! GAME PLAY NOT WORTH PLAYING, ONLY IMPROVED GRAPHICS BUT WHO CARES!
CONVICTION = EVEN MORE RETARDED, STEALTH ELIMINATED!!! LOOKS LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME ON THE MARKET! NO LONGER UNIQUE NOT WORTH PLAYING
BLACKLIST = LAST CHANCE FOR UBISOFT TO GET IT RIGHT! HALF THE BUYERS ONLY BUY IT FOR SPIES VS MERC AND NOT FOR THE SINGLE PLAYER MODE.

I WILL ONLY BUY THE GAME FOR THE MULITPLAYER AND IF IT ISNT CHAOS THEORY 2 SPIES VS MERC BUT INSTEAD EITHER DOUBLE AGENT OR CONVICTIONS VERSION OF SPIES VS MERC THEN I WILL NOT BE PURCHASING THIS GAME UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT!

Nov 13, 2011
To say that Stealth was outright removed from Conviction is an ignorant over-exaggeration. That said, it is not deniable that stealth appears to not be that much of an option in the early missions of the single player campaign, the stealth is more than there for the Deniable Ops part of the game, which unless you are not using the 'timed' option, and you are playing it on realistic (apparently it's supposed to be realistic but the first few zones can always be done in five minutes or less a piece), it can take up to as much as 45 minutes a zone in some cases. I prefer to screw things up and get noticed so there are more bad guys to take down though, which kinda stinks. It would have been good if you could have 20 guys roaming around a level to dispose of in the first place, and even better than that would have been a larger undisclosed number of people in a level so that it would keep you on your toes.
I don't think it was the best they ever came out with, but that said, the multiplayer can be heaps of fun and that's where I have problems with most games these days and that is they are simply not geared very well towards people who want to play the game as a single player campaign first before marching off into the multiplayer sunset. There are sooo many games now that just don't give a crap about whether or not you'd like to play a decent, well thought out, well crafted single player game, gearing it largely towards the multiplayer market. That's where it becomes an issue with being robbed of your hard earned cash (unless you're a kid and somehow manage to come up with however much it costs to buy the game).
Still...I thought the graphics were really good on this game, I loved the deniable ops stuff, but I don't think there was enough of it, the game's main campaign was....ok...I suppose - but that's largely where it tripped up in some places and in others it just fell flat on it's face.

May 5, 2009
Sure, the action-oriented gameplay and ridiculous plot managed to draw in a few more buyers, but they won't be staying. Conviction may have been fun, but will anybody remember it in five years? There are people who still play Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and the previous games to this very day.[/quote]

I heavily disagree. I'm a fan of the Splinter Cell franchise and to me, Conviction was part of an evolution to the Splinter Cell series, while you may not have liked it and I'm not here to call you an @$$hole or whatever. But I believe that Conviction gave us something to play with, sure the older Splinter Cells will always be the superior ones because it is what it said it'd be, lots of stealth and lots of strategy in order to complete an operation. Conviction and Blacklist oh and Double Agent (Which btw was a bit of a catalyst for Convictions gameplay anyways) are natural change of how Splinter Cell could be played and clearly from what I saw on Blacklist's gameplay video, it operated very well in the daylight and you still had your strategy to use. With all of that said, Conviction will be a part of my memories for a long time to come and I'll play that just as much as I do with previous successors.

Jun 10, 2012
I freaking loved all the SC games, and I thoroughly enjoyed conviction on that you could go stealth or balls out, and loved the deniable ops, i do respect what you are all saying about conviction changing it up, but I hope blacklist will tie them all up, and from the looks of it, I know I will love it no matter what

Goosazzle

Noob
Nov 29, 2009
ok i understand why some of u didnt like it as much becuase it strayed from the path but ive loved all of them i loved how the first three were total stealth i liked conviction too it gave me a different look and wasnt the same as the other ones blacklist looks badass and i cant wait to play it

May 13, 2012
I'm not quite sure whether to agree or not. Conviction, like all Splinter Cell games, was a very pleasing game to play. People have been saying that the "lack" of stealth dragged this game down, but i still thouroughly disagree. The action portion of this game was played out perfectly; from the hand-to-hand combat to the intense firefights that occured. The stealth in the game was also a lot of fun and kept that feeling of being a badass spy going, just like all the predecessors. I have played all of the Splinter Cell games and this one is, imo, the best one yet. I hope they keep up doing what they do and bring me more entertaining games like this. <<<< (insert "Blacklist" here :D)

Feb 17, 2012
come on, i had played the other games before and do agree that splinter cell has lost its stealth touch but look at how the story has developed into, Sam was betrayed and has turned into a bit of a revenge type feel but that why it has probably gone into more of action, and that's because that's what the gamer population wants these days, but they did good because they still try to keep some aspects of the stealth and i think blacklist is going to turn out great
sam fisher has never died

Jun 27, 2012
My only complaint was that lack of a sprint button and the ability to move quicker while ducking. The cover to cover dash works but sometimes you just cant get the icon to appear where you wanna go. Also Blindfire and prone would of been nice additions. Cant wait for the brand new game looks like all the good stuf from future soldier conviction and assasins creed mixed up in a badass game.

Archer1018

Noob
Jun 28, 2012
I have been waiting a long long long time for Spies vs Merc to come back!!!! Conviction Spies vs Merc sucked! I am really hoping that this one will be like it was for the very best and last of the great mulit-player renditions of Spies vs Merc and that was Chaos Theory.
I, like alot of gamer diehards of this franchise, don't give a damn about the single player mode. In fact the only reason I and most will buy this game is the replayability of the Spies vs Merc multi-player. It is the only thing that matters for most of us in this franchise. We were all disappointed with Conviction where they essentially killed this franchise off by dumbing down the multi-player mode, making the game pointless, skillless and just plain retarded aimed for what must be their target market of little kids. This franchise will die and should die if they don't return to what made it great up until Chaos Theory! It needs to return to its former glory of Chaos Theory, and aim for its proper target audiance and that is die hard adult gamers! If they need to allow the game to be selectable for what options the game room host deems acceptable if that game host happens to be a little kid but do not limit the choices right out of the gate.
Here were the differnces that killed the Spies vs Merc
(Ubisoft hope your listening)
1) Only 1 gadget for the Spies. Totally lame. Make it adjustable according to the host of the the game to include as many or as few gadgets as the players joining would like. Do not limit choices!!! Ever!!!!
2) Stealth gone!!! Un-freaking-believable!!! Shadows and sneak attacks are what set this franchise apart from every other game!!!! Let that return to the game.
3) Return to equal power of the Spy vs Merc of Chaos Theory where both were equally as powerful just in their own unique ways. Conviction made the Mercs too powerful against the Spy making the objective the ONLY way to finish the game as you were no match against the Mercs as a Spy and killing a Merc as a Spy was no longer feasable. There were strengths and weakness to play both a Merc or a Spy but the balance was equal in Chaos Theory but lost in Conviction.
Its been so long since I have played either Chaos Theory or Conviction after they removed Chaos Theory from Xbox Live and I know there is more differences between the two but I can not remember all of them. I am sure others whom loved Chaos Theory only for the multi-player will expand upon what I touched upon and list even more differences below my message.
Thanks for reading and I hope Ubisoft gets this message,
Regards,
Bueyakasha a.k.a. Tommy Capano

-You have the wrong game in mind.... before ranting, make sure you know what you're talking about. Conviction did not feature spys vs mercs. I believe you are refuring to Double Agent. Conviction took Double agent, witch was played more like gears of war than Splinter Cell, and transformed it into a game that does not force stealth or action. If the player is so offended that a spy knows how to use a weapon, then opt no to. The game is designed to let the player choose their own play style. They even add P.E.C challenges for such things as remaining undetected and only using hand to hand moves. The "faster pace" that people constantly refer to is by choice. they made sam climb faster. This has no effect on if you choose to play stealthy or not so stealthy. The problem, I believe, is that people are mad that it takes a little skill to remain undetected now instead of each map being unrealisticly dark and hiding sam in the shadows no matter where you walk. The fact that spys and mercs was removed in this title has nothing to do with over all gameplay, there is still a vs mode, an EXTREAMLY balanced vs mode where both people have the same abilities instead of mercs being over powered, or spys being over powered as seen in chaos theory and double agent. From what i gather on these forms all people want is to have over powered spys to jump on peoples heads. If thats the case, Ubi servers are still up on pc. Instead of asking to remake your nostalgic wishes, just spend the $10 and play the game on pc. -Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Zubin24

Noob
Jan 31, 2012
Ubisoft Montreal are a bunch of crooks.

Thoughts?
No way, man. I've been through the older Splinter Cell games and I like almost everything in Conviction. First of all, I like the hand-to-hand combat. The earlier Splinter Cell games needed you to hit them twice if they're alarmed by your presence. Second, I like its fast-paced action. It's uses the 'stealth is speed' formula. Third, I like the parkour-like movement. Fourth, I like the Mark and Execute system. A fast way of clearing rooms. Because of these changes for good, I'm with Lambert when he said: "A gun is your last resort." because I use hand-to-hand almost all the time now. And lastly, I like the Sonar goggles in which i can see through non-concrete walls and plan my attack/escape. Blacklist I think will do much better because you are in broad daylight which is more realistic because not all stealth-operations are done at night. Terrorists will not always wait for dusk to do their operations. Btw, sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2012
Who ever says that splinter cell conviction is a disgrace is a total moron and knows nothing about video games. Chances are that you are the kind of people that probably like those whack resident evil games or ninja gaiden. So who ever says this about conviction should get a life and stop wastin money on garbage games.

Zubin24

Noob
Jan 31, 2012
jmorales_16 said:
Who ever says that splinter cell conviction is a disgrace is a total moron and knows nothing about video games. Chances are that you are the kind of people that probably like those whack resident evil games or ninja gaiden. So who ever says this about conviction should get a life and stop wastin money on garbage games

This.

But, some of the Resident Evil games were pretty good.

Mar 2, 2009

Thoughts?

Lol you mad. I've played almost every single TC game. Iv played every SC. From the beginning to the end. This was not a betrayal. This was a change.

Sorry boys but times are changing. The old business model dont work no more. Its all about fast fast fast. Dont get me wrong. I hate cod. I loved the slower paced games. But you guys crying and crying need to move on. They will not keep making the same types of games. Thats like a tv show going 20+ seasons. It doesnt happen. Most good ones last 5-10 seasons.

I guess the point im trying to make is. Is that change does happen and will always happen. Stop being stuck in the past. Learn the new stuff , adapt to the new stuff and master the new stuff. Great players from the past games can learn the conviction styled game and be a master at it.

Conviction was fun and Blacklist will be awesome.,

Send me the hate if you want

Jjcoxx1

Noob
Jul 19, 2012

Thoughts?

Conviction was a fun change to the fast and sneaky type of gameplay like the live version of Double agent.
I got bored though, ya it was fun being able to kill anybody any way but in the end all it was was a bunch of checkpoints and a bunch of guys to fight off. The other splinter cells had much more depth and different oriented levels like breaking codes, and different missions , underwater , ropes , snow , etc. theres hardly any variety in conviction. I'm glad they're bringing back spies vs Mercs and I hope they combine the fast moving action with the missions of a spy.

7H3_H4CK3R

Noob
Jul 16, 2010
Calling Convictions a disgrace is a little too strong of a word, don't you think? Yes, they changed the gameplay. Yes, Sam Fisher is a run and gun, shoot everything kind of man, now. Answer this for me, though. Say you were Sam Fisher. You've gone around killing countless people and gone into situations where most people would go insane. The thought of your Daughter, Sarah, is what keeps your head in the game. You are in Iceland. You mission just went terribly wrong and you watched your partner die. When you are pulled out your Best Friend tells you Sarah is dead. What keeps you sane is dead. You lose control and want revenge on the man who killed her. You take on one long and painful mission to stop a terrorist cell from destroying Manhattan only to end up shooting the man who had guided you and helped you get through it all. Now you are seeking revenge on the man who slaughtered your daughter, but while in the field you are told that your Best Friend lied to you. Sarah's death was a cover up to make some become the weapons America needs. Would you not go on a rampage if that was you? I've sat through all of the Splinter Cell Games and I can tell you Chaos Theory was great, but Conviction was fantastic. Sam's character made sense and it really helped the game move along.