Pacific
Calgary (P1) vs Colorado (W2)
San Jose (P2) vs Vegas (P3)

969551796.jpg.0.jpg

pittsburgh-penguins-stanley-cup-story-sidney-crosby.jpg

0615_bruins2.jpg

Let's Get Hyped up Boys!!

---

I created a league on the Bracket Contest from Reddit: https://cliambrown.com/bracket2019/league/join/jrm6yp9z

If you guys wanna use the other leagues we usually use, feel free to create one. I'm lazy and that one was really easy as it doesnt require an account to be created.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
So do I talk about the draft lottery here? [face_tongue]

Devils just won their postseason. Best outcome for me. My top team gets Hughes, and my local team feels less sting by only giving up the #4 pick rather than a real generational talent threat.

Last edited:

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
So do I talk about the draft lottery here? [face_tongue]

Devils just won their postseason. Best outcome for me. My top team gets Hughes, and my local team feels less sting by only giving up the #4 pick rather than a real generational talent threat.

Taylor Hall is the best draft lottery magnet of all time.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
I didn't watch a ton of West hockey this year and feel like most series could go either way.

Same. I barely got to watch hockey this year, and when I did watch the Jets or Flames they lost, so I probably got a poor representation of what those teams are capable of.

I feel Colorado and Columbus are both dangerous Wildcard2 teams too.

I think the Caps series is the least exciting on paper, but Mrazek has given us a lot of trouble in the past. Really stole games for Detroit back in the day.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
More superstars to the Metropolitan Division, just what the league needed :^O

On the bright side I can take immense pleasure in every team in the division either being in the playoffs or winning the draft lottery except for the Flyers.

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Penguins dressing Maatta over Johnson was dumb. Dressing Wilson over Blueger was also dumb. They definitely don't look like a team ready for playoff pace.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Rust has been in one of his slumps where he is completely useless and he's really neutering the top line.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Murray gets pearl harbored in OT by Kuhnhackl, no call. Pretty incredible that you can just bowl into a goalie in this league, leading with a forearm shiver to the head, and they review to see if the puck crossed the line before the moorings came off with no attention to the goalie contact. Hopefully Murray doesn't have headaches tomorrow...wouldn't be the 4th time this same scenario played out...

Isles scored a few shifts later.

Anyway, Pens have to be better in game 2. Get Rust off line 1. Sit Maatta, get Blueger in the lineup for his energy. Hope Gudbranson is ok going forward, he came back after the leg injury, but was significantly gimping around. They need smart Letang, not dumb Letang. He can't keep making gaffes like that.

Last edited:

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Didn't think Tampa would be the first team to stumble.

Columbus might be the best team in the Metro, I really dont know how they fucked up their regular season so bad. I can't believe Tampa has to play them in the first round after their terrific season, but I was jumping for joy that we dodged them on the last day.

I think the Caps were best suited to play the Islanders but that scenario wasn't really there down the stretch, so I'm happy with the Canes matchup still.

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Pfft, everyone with a team in the running would love that bracket fail so that Tampa was out of the way.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
I didn't like Maatta in for Johnson for game 1. Johnson dressed tonight and he's an absolute moron. Takes a dumb high stick penalty, comes out of the box and then on his way to the bench gets called for interference. ffs

Doom67

Gloom67
Oct 28, 2000
Until Tampa are out, I'll still be skeptical. I still feel like they are on another level when they play their game and can easily just win 4 in a row if they get on the right track. The Jackets have played the series really really well though and I feel a little vindicated when I kept telling people/praying we didn't get them in the first round. They only finished 6 points back of the Caps for the division lead, and lost quite a bit while integrating a bunch of players into the roster off a busy trade deadline. Even with that said, I can't believe they are up 3-0 against Tampa. I wouldn't have picked anyone to be up 3-0 against Tampa.

The Penguins I don't feel are good enough to win 4 in a row though, at least not without some serious help from luck/the Islanders themselves. Just not strong enough defensively to lock it down and the Islanders goaltending has been too good all year to not have at least one standout/game stealing performance in 4 games. I was actually hoping the Caps would get the Islanders somehow in the first round, but it looks like that would have been a mistake. Maybe? I haven't gotten to watch this series much since I've been more focused on the Tampa/Jackets one.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Just a gutless effort throughout the series, no adjustments at all to the trap. Pathetic. They were the same team in November as they were in April, despite several personnel changes. Slow, old, sloppy, and dumb. The Penguins had/have no true identity and couldn't beat the very structured and hard working Islanders.

They better be willing to and able to dump a bunch of these overpriced defensemen. 2nd highest paid unit in the league and it's hard to imagine there are worse.

At the very least, assistant coaches need changed, system adjusted to fit the current league/talent on roster, serious winger and d-man overhaul. This is their last chance to pivot/restructure to salvage whatever might be left before the Crosby/Malkin era is over.

Last edited:

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
On over 30,000 bracket submissions on r/hockey (their brackets required number-of-games predictions in the first round, just series winners afterwards):

20 picked Columbus and NYI sweeps
1 is still able to be flawless (the other 19 that picked those sweeps are already guaranteed wrong on at least one other series).

deadybears85

No Longer a Noob
Nov 12, 2013
New Hampshaaah
Now that the Lightning are out, if the Bruins can beat the Maple Leafs and the Caps somehow get eliminated I can see the Bruins winning the Cup.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
They better be willing to and able to dump a bunch of these overpriced defensemen. 2nd highest paid unit in the league and it's hard to imagine there are worse.

giphy.gif

I hope he's just trying to blow smoke up other GMs asses for future trade negotiations...if he actually believes this, his time as GM should come a close. One of the biggest issues with the team is the D's inability to move the puck up ice...this exchange is just bizarre.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles

giphy.gif

I hope he's just trying to blow smoke up other GMs asses for future trade negotiations...if he actually believes this, his time as GM should come a close. One of the biggest issues with the team is the D's inability to move the puck up ice...this exchange is just bizarre.

That's the thing with Rutherford...it's easily conceivable that he either actually believes this or if he's simply not going to publicly devalue assets he has to try to move. On one hand he has 3 rings and is an inevitable Hall of Famer...on the other hand look at what he's done to that unit over the past year.

I really wish I had faith in Guerin to be an heir worth having.

My Finals match-up went a combined 1-8 in the first round...part of me hates seeing teams waste great seasons like that, but the other part of me is just loving such chaos. I know my team is going to be in for some lean years because of the system this league has...but it's worth it. The same teams being on top for decades on end just isn't fun, European football.

Last edited:

twisted_time48

No Longer a Noob
Oct 30, 2010
I know this is /really/ homer of me but I can conceivably see the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup if they beat Boston. Not having to play Tampa and with Calgary out REALLY increases their chances. They can beat both the Islanders and the Capitals too. Depends on who they play in the west but Calgary and Nashville are the only ones I can see winning the Cup out of the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Trouba needs to go for the Jets, it's clear he has no intention of staying long term with the Jets and he only has 1 year of RFA left. Best to trade him now, there's a ton of good/great defensive prospects in the pipeline.

The Blue Jackets are winning the East though.

Yeah outside of that one game vs Boston right before the playoffs, Columbus really started to click as a team. Toronto has similar a play-style as Tampa and we all saw how well CBJ contained that.

twisted_time48

No Longer a Noob
Oct 30, 2010
San Jose with 4 powerplay goals on a 5 minute major. Goes from down 3-0 to up 4-3. I’ve never seen anything like it. Weak major call too.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Weak call is putting it mildly, that is outright ridiculous. In this wide open bracket, that bogus call may have cost Vegas a cup. Unbelievable. Refs overreacted to the injury, appeased the booing fans by giving them a major. Really bizarre.

Fleury was completely rattled after that 2nd goal, he's all over the place now. Can also say that Vegas PK has to be better, but seriously wtf

--
9JxN7Oz.gif

2 minute crosscheck, at the worst.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Vegas ties it with 47 secs to go. Going OT.

With these goalies, good chance this ends in the first 5 of OT.

Last edited:

twisted_time48

No Longer a Noob
Oct 30, 2010
Wow, this is absolutely intense. I want the Sharks to win, but wow did the refs ever screw Vegas out of this game.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Wait, I thought if a check/hit lead to an injury like that it was an automatic 5 minute and a game.... though Stasney should have gotten the 5 in that case.

Regardless, weak call like that, Vegas shouldn't have let in 4 goals. They were in firm control of the game

denkaas

No Longer a Noob
May 16, 2001
The second bump against Stastny let to that bad fall but it isn't really something they can review.

I'm mostly surprised the Sharks actually got the PP to work for a few minutes.

Strange game, I'm happy with the result but hoping Pavs is okay.

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
There's an image on reddit that is showing Pavs on the ice with blood coming out of his helmet.

I aint posting it here but it shows how bad it was.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts