UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
They will also have 2 really good players coming over for the KHL, and likely maybe a few good free agents.

One that's really good and one that kinda flamed out his first go through in the NHL.

I think the two players being talked about here are Shipachyov and Gusev. I assume Dadonov is the player you're referring to as flaming out, as he was rumored to be Vegas bound? The most recent news on him is that he's close to signing with an Eastern Conference team, not Vegas.

Yeah I was referring to Dadonov, cause last I heard was that he was gonna sign in Vegas. He didnt do so well his first time through.

Havent heard about Gusev though. Shipachyov I could see putting up 40-55 points this year

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Some big trades today.
Saad (and Anton Forsberg and a 2018 5th) back to Chicago, Panarin (and Motte and a 2017 6th) to Columbus.
Stepan and Raanta to Arizona for their 1st rounder and DeAngelo.
Hjalmarsson to Arizona (for Connor Murphy and Laurent Dauphin)
Schroeder for Salituro.

Word is Hamonic + (2018) 1st + prospect will be getting Duchene.

Last edited:

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm not really sure what Arizona's plan is given how shitty that roster was at the beginning of the day...but I definitely think a lot more of Chayka now than when I woke up.

That said, I can see Stepan's contract being horrendous within a couple years with the way he's already trending.

Chia is a buffoon.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Devils got Marcus Johansson from the Caps today for a 2018 2nd and 3rd. Not even their own 2nd and 3rd, it's Florida's 2nd (acquired in the Marc Savard contract shell game) and Toronto's 3rd (acquired as compensation for the Leafs hiring Lou).

Johansson had 5 more points last season than the Devils' top scorer.

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Devils got Marcus Johansson from the Caps today for a 2018 2nd and 3rd. Not even their own 2nd and 3rd, it's Florida's 2nd (acquired in the Marc Savard contract shell game) and Toronto's 3rd (acquired as compensation for the Leafs hiring Lou).

Johansson had 5 more points last season than the Devils' top scorer.

Isnt that finally over?

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Yup. Devils took the last year of his contract last summer for a second round pick. He's off everyone's books now.

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
The contract is over. Beautiful work by Shero to take advantage of the 'cap hangover' for the Caps. Johansson is one of the few Caps players I've liked for a long time...big piece to lose for pennies on the dollar.

That Marleau contract is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. That third year is going to cause major issues if the Leafs can't make that contract go away (certainly structured to be traded after July 1, 2019), but even that's ignoring the fact that Marleau already hasn't been worth that cap hit for a couple years now. Absolutely mind-blowing that Patrick Marleau will make $1.5 million in real money more this season than he has at any point of his career, as a 37 year-old coming off a 48 point season (in 82 games while playing with a ton of talent, all while shooting at a higher clip than his career average too). Even Thornton on his 1 year $8 million deal won't make as much as Marleau this coming season...and Toronto is still having a significantly better week than Montreal is. Good thing Bergevin's 5 year contract extension kicked in on Saturday.

So many mind-blowingly bad contracts being thrown around...we're heading right towards another goddamned lockout because these idiots can't help themselves.

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
The contract is over. Beautiful work by Shero to take advantage of the 'cap hangover' for the Caps. Johansson is one of the few Caps players I've liked for a long time...big piece to lose for pennies on the dollar.

That Marleau contract is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. That third year is going to cause major issues if the Leafs can't make that contract go away (certainly structured to be traded after July 1, 2019), but even that's ignoring the fact that Marleau already hasn't been worth that cap hit for a couple years now. Absolutely mind-blowing that Patrick Marleau will make $1.5 million in real money more this season than he has at any point of his career, as a 37 year-old coming off a 48 point season (in 82 games while playing with a ton of talent, all while shooting at a higher clip than his career average too). Even Thornton on his 1 year $8 million deal won't make as much as Marleau this coming season...and Toronto is still having a significantly better week than Montreal is. Good thing Bergevin's 5 year contract extension kicked in on Saturday.

So many mind-blowingly bad contracts being thrown around...we're heading right towards another goddamned lockout because these idiots can't help themselves.

We were heading for another lock out the moment the new CBA was signed....

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
"These idiots can't help themselves" is a problem for both sides. For the players, complaining about Escrow being a major issue, while voluntarily pressing the 'artificially inflate the cap' button EVERY FUCKING YEAR, shows either zero of the NHLPA understands the concept of cause and effect, or they're being outrageously disingenuous about the escrow issue.

The inflator really needs to have a warning pop up window attached. "Warning, using this inflator does not actually result in more money, it just makes the numbers look bigger until the hrr percentage kicks in and escrow makes up the difference. Are you sure you want to proceed so you can complain about onerous burden of an escrow you voluntarily created? y/N"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
meh. any coach can play benn seguin radulov.

god damn lol. im glad the habs didnt give him the contract tho. with weber alzner and price.. we only need like 2 goals a game

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown

god damn lol. im glad the habs didnt give him the contract tho. with weber alzner and price.. we only need like 2 goals a game
I mean in general, Dallas made several good moves this offseason, except that one.

I think you are overrating Alzner.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2005
Montreal

I mean in general, Dallas made several good moves this offseason, except that one.

I think you are overrating Alzner.
overrating him how. hes a stay at home, defensive D with no offensive output and is slow but as good positioning. put him and weber out to protect the lead.

thats all i meant. i know hes not a top pairing D. he'll most likely play with petry on our 2nd pairing

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
But he's not a Caps player anymore. I thought the moment a player left your rival team is the moment your story is supposed to turn from "Your player sucks" to "Your team let your one good player walk away because you suck".

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
McDavid 8 years 12.5aav.

Took 1 million less apparently, still not gonna help their cap situation in a few years unless Drai takes a pay cut

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
i still dont get it. i know draisaitl is awesome but i mean.. people are talking about 9 million a year for 8 years for him. he's had 2 seasons in the league. isnt that a little extreme?

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Well if the Oilers do sign Drai for 9 mill a year, I think next year the Oilers will have somewhere around 70% of the cap tied to 9 guys (Lucic, Nuge, McJesus, Drai, Sekera, Klefbom, Larrson, Russel, Talbot)

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Yep, when I saw this thread bumped and you as most recent poster, before I even clicked I was thinkiing "Oh, the Pasta deal must be done!"

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I was starting to get nervous about this. Though I know they wouldnt have botched this like they did with Dougie, Seguin, Kessel (and I'm gonna stop there before I get sad) it was getting worrisome that something may not have gotten done.

Now, Pasta getting 6.667 a year, Bergy with 6.875, and Marchand getting 6.125, our first line has incredible value to it.