UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Congrats and fuck you to Pittsburgh for winning their 5th Cup and being repeat Champions.

Now the off season begins. With Vegas joining the fold this will be a very interesting off season. Expansion Draft Rules are here. Awards and Expansion Draft explained here.

Upcoming dates and other stuff pertaining to the Expansion Draft.
  • Monday, June 12: the last day for teams to ask players with no-movement clauses to waive them.
  • Friday, June 16: Players have until 5 p.m. to waive their expansion draft protections if they qualify. More on that in a bit.
  • By 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017, all 30 NHL franchises are required to submit their list of protected players. The entire league will be under a roster freeze. No trades. No waivers. No nothing.
  • Sunday, June 18: Expansion protected lists are sent out to every team, and the Golden Knights get to interview players they might want to select.
  • By 10 a.m. ET on June 21, the Golden Knights must submit the list of players it has selected.
  • On June 21, the NHL will announce those selections at the NHL Awards.
June 23-24, 2017 Will be the Draft @ United Center, Chicago

July 1, 2017 will be the beginning of Free agency. Vegas gets a 2 day head start due to being the new kids on the block.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I think that's more accurate when Chicago wins it.

Pittsburgh is more "... and then there was much rejoicing (unenthusiastic yays)"

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
He has apparently waived it for Las Vegas alone (either by trade or expansion exposure). He hasn't unconditionally waived it to the point of being allowed to be traded anywhere. He can't be exiled to Calgary.

KingShmeag

Jurassic Park
Feb 7, 2009
404 Not Found
In other news, Adidas has teased the new jerseys a little bit. The most vastly different looking one that I can remember is gonna be Minnesota

JgiGGgh.jpg

looks like green will be the new colour and itll have a white stripe going through the middle similar to the Leafs winter classic im assuming.

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
He has apparently waived it for Las Vegas alone (either by trade or expansion exposure). He hasn't unconditionally waived it to the point of being allowed to be traded anywhere. He can't be exiled to Calgary.

I'm thinking there's going to be a play here where LV takes Fleury and trades him. Fleury would have to waive again obviously, but I think it'd be a no brainer for him to give a list of teams that LV can send him to.

What's the over under on how many picks LV ends up with for this draft lol

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
I'm surprised that it came out that Phaneuf was asked and will decline. I expect the usual case and likely what happened with Bieksa/Staal/Girardi was that the team asked them off-the-record if they would waive if they were formally asked, they said they wouldn't, and then the team+player forward the official press story of "He's so important to us / he's so committed to this team, we never even asked him to waive!" for morale and team-unity optics and such.

Last edited:

phantompenguin.

No Longer a Noob
Sep 20, 2009
Los Angeles
That's what happens when you give defensemen whose game is built around shot blocking both money and term. Girardi turned into Jay McKee stupidly fast.

And they still have Marc Staal and his awful deal on the books, too.

At least they'll finally be able to add that big game defenseman they've been wanting for years, you have to imagine this was done to facilitate Shattenkirk. I'm sure that'll work as nicely as every other high priced Rangers UFA signing does.

HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
It seems so often that a floor team will end up bailing out a cap team that has a bad contract on the books through a trade. Nice to see that didn't happen this time.

Last edited:

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Bruins and Minnesota are (potentially) working on a trade that would send Brodin to Boston for the RFA rights to Spooner and the Bruins 1st round pick this year. That's the basis as it stands, there will probably be another pick or player added in too

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
Drouin gets $33 over six years

too much term and money, imo

Forsberg had three 30/30 seasons to earn little more in his contract

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Contracts signed in Montreal tend to have to be bigger than contracts signed in Nashville to offset the much greater taxation.

Baby_King_Bob

No Longer a Noob
Jan 14, 2004
sure, but that's only one aspect of the relative costs and benefits considered by players and agents. let's assume the effective tax rates are 40% in Nashville and 50% in Montreal. if you think that any given player looks at that and says, ok, $5m in Nashville equals $6m in Montreal, you're thinking wrong.

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
people actually think that contract is high?

the shit?

everyone here thinks that he shoulda got more. Drouin is a special player. just cause tampa used him on the 3rd line.. the kid is CRAZY talented and thats what we need... talent.

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
sure, but that's only one aspect of the relative costs and benefits considered by players and agents. let's assume the effective tax rates are 40% in Nashville and 50% in Montreal. if you think that any given player looks at that and says, ok, $5m in Nashville equals $6m in Montreal, you're thinking wrong.

theres way more endorsement $$$ in montreal. especially for drouin.. a french canadian star hockey player. he took less money cause he knows what being the face of the franchise will mean. alan walsh helped us out here

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
We protected the wrong Miller

Though it appears that McQuaid and possibly Beleskey are going to Vegas.

Also If I had good photoshop skills, I would make a "Vegas joins the Fray" in the style of the Super Smash Brothers 4 reveals.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Really hate how the Draft/Awards is on NBCSN.

Thanks to cable cutting (mostly) I can't view it and I doubt I can see it on the PSN NHL App

Nov 24, 2005
Montreal
nashvilles and new jersey's are hideous.

also lol at vegas for taking emelin.

also i cant believe im watching the nhl awards. this is just awful

steelersfan70

No Longer a Noob
Dec 11, 2007
Your Face
nashvilles and new jersey's are hideous.

also lol at vegas for taking emelin.

also i cant believe im watching the nhl awards. this is just awful
I didn't notice Jersey at first but I agree. Stopping the black stripe at the shoulder was a pretty bad move.

Fuck John Tortorella.

Last edited:

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
Guys... are we sure Millbury isnt the Isles GM again?

It does seem strange to see how much Florida and the Isles had to pay to escape this draft, while a team like Vancouver was simply relieved of a bad player and contract.

I wouldn't assume we have the whole picture until tomorrow though. Once trades can officially open up tomorrow morning we may see 'the other half' of some trades that were set up tonight. I expect Florida, at least, is due to get a player Vegas drafted specifically to trade to them.

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Vegas Golden Knights

Colorado Avalanche: Calvin Pickard
, G
Vancouver Canucks: Luca Sbisa , D
Arizona Coyotes: Teemu Pulkkinen , F
New Jersey Devils: Jon Merrill , D
Buffalo Sabres: William Carrier , F
Detroit Red Wings: Tomas Nosek , F
Dallas Stars: Cody Eakin , F
Florida Panthers: Jonathan Marchessault , F (+ Reily Smith)
Los Angeles Kings: Brayden McNabb , D
Carolina Hurricanes: Connor Brickley, F
Winnipeg Jets: Chris Thorburn , F
Philadelphia Flyers: Pierre-Edouard Bellemare , F
Tampa Bay Lightning: Jason Garrison , D (+ forward Nikita Gusev)
New York Islanders: Jean-Francois Berube , G (+ defenseman Jake Bischoff and forward Mikhail Grabovski)
Nashville Predators: James Neal , F
Calgary Flames: Deryk Engelland , D
Toronto Maple Leafs: Brendan Leipsic, F
Boston Bruins: Colin Miller D
Ottawa Senators: Marc Methot , D
San Jose Sharks: David Schlemko , D
St. Louis Blues: David Perron , F
New York Rangers: Oscar Lindberg , F
Edmonton Oilers: Griffin Reinhart , D
Montreal Canadiens: Alexei Emelin , D
Anaheim Ducks: Clayton Stoner , D (+ D Shea Theodore)
Minnesota Wild: Erik Haula , F
Columbus Blue Jackets: William Karlsson , F (+ David Clarkson)
Chicago Blackhawks: Trevor van Riemsdyk , D
Pittsburgh Penguins: Marc-Andre Fleury , G
Washington Capitals: Nate Schmidt , D

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
They got two solid forward lines, 2 solid defense line & a great goalie.

Then again, who is staying and who is going? That's the thing.

I know Colin Miller is going to Toronto (and I'm not okay with that)

UncleBen59

No Longer a Noob
Jan 26, 2014
Massachusetts
They will also have 2 really good players coming over for the KHL, and likely maybe a few good free agents.

One that's really good and one that kinda flamed out his first go through in the NHL.

It all depends on how well they translate over/back to the NHL. Sometimes it's good, others its not

Last edited:

69los

Mr. Grumble
Nov 9, 2000
Guys... are we sure Millbury isnt the Isles GM again?

I usually give Snow shit but from what I gather, this year's draft is pretty weak so losing a mid 1st shouldn't hurt us too much (I'll touch on this a bit more). Losing Grabo isn't that big since there's doubts he'll even play again which is probably why we gave up the 2nd. If Vegas is taking all of Grabo's contract off the books, then maybe we can convince JT to stay by adding extra pieces in FA. Since our #1 priority is locking down the franchise, a mid 1st and (hopefully) a high 2019 2nd should be expendable. Forcing them to take Berube, allows us to keep de Haan and Nelson and yes, even Bailey and Strome. Not sure about the others but I know JT and Strome are pretty tight.

So basically, I'm ok with this deal as long as its purpose was to lock down JT. It probably would take losing JT to finally get Snow fired though.

tmg.exe

(NOT)
Aug 31, 2001
They will also have 2 really good players coming over for the KHL, and likely maybe a few good free agents.

One that's really good and one that kinda flamed out his first go through in the NHL.

I think the two players being talked about here are Shipachyov and Gusev. I assume Dadonov is the player you're referring to as flaming out, as he was rumored to be Vegas bound? The most recent news on him is that he's close to signing with an Eastern Conference team, not Vegas.