Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2006
NO JOE STRUMMER?? i am shocked and appalled.

i can't believe they left off Ben Weasel, but Chad Price and Blake Schwartzenbach are on it.

some other good additions would be Jake Burns of Stiff Little Fingers, Animal from the Anti-Nowhere League, or Monkey from the Adicts.

JimmerPS3

Noob
Nov 16, 2008
well jaketarintino maybe because The Offspring suck, Dexter Holland has the voice like a chainsaw, the image of a 90's 12 year old and the music that isn't AT ALL punk rock, if theyre in there in there then so should Sum41, Green Day or Blink 182

conatonc

Winter is Coming
Oct 16, 2001
xxpaul said:
The Romones shouldnt be on any top 10 list. Ever.

I can pretty much guarantee that you will never see The Romones on any top 10 list. Ever.

funguy2121

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 3, 2008

-Tim Armstrong (pop punk my ass. what's that I see in your collection? Good Charlotte?)
-Karen O (don't say a word about this one if you've only heard YYY's radio stuff. Would you consider Green Day punk if you only heard "Time of Your Life?")
-Brodie Dalle.
-Jello Biafra.
-Joe Strummer.
-Rob Tyner (just 'cos the MC5 was the first band to get in trouble for using that naughty F - word)
-Chris Demakes.
-Bradley Nowell.
-Iggy Pop.
...which leads me to. . .
-Anthony Keidis (Oh yeah. I said it.)
-Latoya Jackson.
-Daphne from Heroes.
-Stephen Colbert.
-Catherine the Great (that bitch could wail)
What, only 10? Fuck you, 10 is not a punk rock number!

JimmerPS3

Noob
Nov 16, 2008
funguy2121, yeah thats one song, st.Jimmy, American Idiot, Minority, Basket Case... i could go on but ive proved my point

funguy2121

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 3, 2008
Gotmycoke, blink 182 is not a punk band, it is a pop punk band. A misnomeric term meaning it's bubblegum pop masquerading as punk to give the trl britney-christina-backstreet crowd of the late 90's a false sense of variety. Blink 182 are about as punk as the Blue Man Group. But hey, cool tattoos.

Nov 19, 2008
What about Ian Curtis From Joy Division
sure they only released two albums before Ian killed himself and they changed their name to New Order but they had a sound like no other with Ian's voice.

Mar 25, 2008
Since its just top ten i guess he doesn't need to be on there but if it went to 15 i would have to mention Michale Graves

H0neyBe4r_

Noob
Jun 20, 2007
@funguy2121
I agree, but there is also pop - punk with a punk - spirit. Like Leatherface, Hot Water Music...

The problem is rather that some bands (that want to be successful or deliver a religious message) copy musical styles like punk, hardcore etc. without having any of the original spirit(s) and idea(s) behind it, it's style over substance.

H0neyBe4r_

Noob
Jun 20, 2007
@funguy2121
I agree, but there is also pop - punk with a punk - spirit. Like Leatherface, Hot Water Music...

The problem is rather that some bands (that want to be successful or deliver a religious message) copy musical styles like punk, hardcore etc. without having any of the original spirit(s) and idea(s) behind it, it's style over substance.

blaineca

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 8, 2008
Keith Morris. Jello Biafra. Joe Strummer. All better than most on this list. For that brief period of time that Keith was singing for Black Flag, he was, quite frankly, the best. Maybe I missed those three in here somewhere... But I REALLY appreciate The Damned getting some respect because they were great pioneers... love 'em!

GinandJoos

Noob
Nov 25, 2008
1. Iggy Pop (who basically started punk IN THE 60's)

2. Joey Ramone AND (that started the movement in NEW YORK)

3. John Lydon (That started the fashion and blew up punk rock around the world!)

4. Joe Strummer (that started variety instead of playing the same ol' 3 chord music and COMMERCIALIZED it)

5. Steve Ignorant/ Eve Libertine/ Joy de Vivre of "CRASS" (They started the revolution of crusties and vegans and political CHANGE)

6. Lux Interior of "The Cramps"
(Who kept rock and roll alive through punk rock and RAPED IT)

7. Keith Morris (The ORIGINAL BLACK FLAG and later started the CIRCLE JERKS)

8. Dave Vanian "The Damned"
(Brought punk and rock together like the 60's should of done it)

9. John Doe/ Exene Cervenka "X" L.A.'s most original pioneers of punk rock AND STILL GOING)

10. Wattie Buchan "The Exploited"
(made punk SEX AND VIOLENCE!)

I really appreciate the fact the author of this article did something on this subject. I do not think he is an idiot AT ALL. he is basically telling us his view on what 'his' favorite vocalists or vocalists that should receive proclamation. I have nothing wrong with who he chose (because they ARE great VOCALISTS as well) plus his list is "10 GREAT PUNK ROCK SINGERS" not (like mine) "TOP 10 GREAT PUNK ROCK SINGERS OF ALL TIME"

I just made a list of the vocalists who I think deserve it more if it came down to the list of "10 great punk rock singers"

I enjoyed your article Carlos thank you for writing. Plus if there is anyone who decides to talk shit then it just shows that their interest in music is very close minded (I used to hate the Beatles when I was a kid because I was such a P.F.R.er)

peace

-James Hendrix

May 8, 2008
Richard Hell - Blank Generation, the Sex Pistols copied his style (both aesthetic and lyrics, Pretty Vacant is a rip off of Blank Generation)

Rob Tyner - Kick Out the Jams, mother---er, the MC5 is another important early Punk Group.

Bradley Nowelll, he had excellent versatility.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
actually really surprised at this list and thought it would contain a whole heap of shitty pop 'punk' bands.

Also props for putting in ALL/Chad Price but Milo is better.

GinandJoos

Noob
Nov 25, 2008
I LOVE RICHARD HELL and no the PISTOLS didn't rip off anyone.
MALCOM McCLAREN DID so get your shite sraight before you say it!

PLUS I LOVE MC5 but I wouldn't say they are "punk"
THEY had they're own revolution!

Jun 19, 2008
You know, my pick might be too new in the punk timeline or too close to Tim Armstrong to be hip, but for my money, Brodie Dalle (Armstrong) is my favorite punk vocalist, the classics be damned.

Early Distillers stuff reminds me of Courtney Love's early stuff with Hole, only if you know, Courtney Love replaced her depressing hopelessness with anger and snot.

Jan 30, 2009
Great list.

Only difference i would do is the addition of Ian Mackaye. His work in Minor Threat and Fugazi has been attempted many times over by new and upcoming bands.

uPUsNKa

Noob
Nov 20, 2008
no fucking Jello!!!! Hes america's answer to Johnny Rotten, cmon ign, you all suck and know nothing about punk rock, calipunk is where its at i even give props to Dexter Holland of the Offsrping, he has one of the most iconic voices in music in general

Faromir

Noob
Dec 2, 2002
GinandJoos said:

mc5 were more punk than the sex pistols

Don-Mullet

Prime Member
Jul 16, 2003
Las Vegas
[blockquote]GinandJoos posted:

[/blockquote]
I love the idea of making the first word of line in caps, somebody needs to create a literary movement behind that.

Ranger_Chick

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 13, 2004
tomwaitsisgod said:
I could go on forever with little bits of who should be on here who isn't, but instead, I want to take a second to thank IGN for including Greg Graffin from Bad Religion on this list.
It blows my mind how little mention that band gets whenever I am read some "punk retrospective." They were never the easily-sold image of punk as "Wild and rowdy bastards." Rather, they represented the absolute inteleectual ideology of what punk truly could be. They took it out of its juvenile, infantile phase, and made it smart.
They are the anti-GG Allin.
Yet, to call, them "pop" because they have a somewhat refined sound is positively missing the point of what punk is at its core, beyond the image.
Bad Religion will never be pop, because they will never be frivolous and fun. They will always extoll the burning desperate messages of our times.

bad religion [face_love]

xBLACKOWLx

Noob
Dec 16, 2009
No chuck reagan? or Fat mike? or even Tom gabel?
the list sucks, only a few good ones.
and asif it's 'greatest punk rock singers' I wouldn't have put hardcore vocalists in as that, if we're being technical isn't punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.