Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://music.ign.com/articles/928/928450p1.html]10 Great Punk Rock Singers[/link]
by Carlos Ramirez

Summary:
The best punk-rock singers usually have more in the personality department than they do natural vocal ability. Let's be real here, no one's holding their breath waiting for Fat Mike to record an album of old-school ballads like Rod Stewart did. By the same token, could you really see Usher belting out a song like "I Turned into a Martian" anytime soon? [link=http://music.ign.com/articles/928/928450p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

C

Counterfeitmanjako

Original poster
what about Tim Armstrong from Rancid, Op Ivy and the Transplants? Pick it up up up up up up!

turboskerv

Noob
May 30, 2007
Great list, Danzig, rotten, ramone and rollins are all fine choices...I think we might've forgot about a few more modern ones though. While technically not punk, you could argue that they belong here...Kurt Cobain and the singer of the Melvins, I forget his name. Oh yea...WTF no Dead Kennedy's? I'd try to spell his name but that would be laughable! Jello biafra??? How about donita sparks from L7?

grimelot

Noob
Nov 11, 2008
talk about dropping the ball.
you put all and bad religion on this list?
no jello?
what is wrong with you people?

negativecreep7

Leaky Lifeboat.
Nov 25, 2003
turboskerv said:
Great list, Danzig, rotten, ramone and rollins are all fine choices...I think we might've forgot about a few more modern ones though. While technically not punk, you could argue that they belong here...Kurt Cobain and the singer of the Melvins, I forget his name. Oh yea...WTF no Dead Kennedy's? I'd try to spell his name but that would be laughable! Jello biafra??? How about donita sparks from L7?

You're talking about Buzz Osborne.

Mar 10, 2008
I may be a bit of an elitist when it comes to this particular genre, but Bad Religion? Come on, and I'm also of the opinion Henry Rollins ruined Black Flag, Dez Cadena should take his place.

I also feel the Ramones are overrated, but that might be because I listened to them too much in my youth so now I'm sick of them, so that can be taken as heavily biased.

I would have rather seen more of bands that started it all, why is it no one talks of The Middle Class? The band that started hardcore, no...Black flag did not start it. Black Flag was a few months late, about 6.

Anyhow its a decent enough attempt, considering the person(s) who compiled it probably had a limited knowledge to work on.

Jun 21, 2008
Decent list, especially coming from a site that seldom reviews legit hardcore/punk records.

I'm a huge fan of lifetime. and Hank Stomps Cadena by the way. Still, Keith Morris stomps Rollins era flag in my opinion.
I would have loved to see Aaron Bedard from BANE on this list. That man has a face akin to a basset hound after a belt sander accident, and has the most awkward gait and stage moves of any human being I've ever encountered. BANE shows have always been something to behold. The best part about Aaron is that, even though his voice is so unique, he doesn't have to sing a fucking word. Watch a YouTube video of an old BANE show. Every kid knows every word, and they will be rushing the stage from the first note of the set to the last. Long live honest HxC. Also, Rob from Ruiner might make this list if I were compiling my own favorite top ten front-men.

BeautifulDowngrade

No Longer a Noob
Jun 26, 2002
How about Ian MacKaye from Fugazi and Minor Threat? Or Dennis Lyxzen from Refused? Collin Abrahall from GBH is another good one.

Jul 8, 2004
Not a bad article. I agree with most of 'em. I would have liked to have seen Iggy on the list. Also the picture you have for Glenn Danzig is actually Misfits Bassist Jerry Only, "Devil Lock" hair and all.

Imfive

Noob
Mar 20, 2008
With the recent theatrical release of "What we do is secret", I'm surprised Darby Crash didn't pop up on the list. Two voices that always stood out for me were Tesco Vee (The Meatmen) and Lee Ving (fear). Lee Ving was an amazing singer with serious range! They mentioned Billy Joe Armstrong's "fake british accent". What? Dude sounds nasal, yes, but brit?. No fake brit accent there. If you want fake brit accent, look no further than early "Ministry"(I know they're more industrial but it's a good example of fake brit), particularly the track "Everyday is halloween", which is actually a great song IMHO. Anyway, I'm glad H.R. made it on here.

Apr 26, 2004
Did you just start listening to punk this year? How can you include someone as irrelevant as Ari Katz and leave out key singers like Poly Styrene and Siouxsie?

Bludoth

Noob
Jan 4, 2006
Great list but missing some great ones like Kurt Brecht from D.R.I., Vinnie Stigma from Agnostic Front, and Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies.

the_heir_apparent

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 14, 2004
I liked about half the list, but you have some severe omissions - as usual.

Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys
Joe Strummer - The Clash
GG Allin - GOD!

You need people with a little more experience if you're gonna keep posting such inadequate lists.

tibsi32

AsCitiesBurn316
Jul 2, 2004
Jello Biafra should be in there...

johnny rotten shouldn't even be a thought when it comes to vocals

and that picture isn't of GlenN Danzig....it's of Jerry Only

..i'm not even a huge punk fan....but if ur gonna be the creator of this list ...at least know that much.

oh yeah....and Ian for minor threat should def. be in there.

NalgaCore

Noob
Jul 30, 2008
black flag bad brains jawbreaker n lifetime,fudge ya!but wheres cro-mags,circle jerks,ssd,doa,youth of today??they had sum pretty in your face vocalists.

ps-i wanna play resident evil 5 already!

May 6, 2008
Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised... I thought I'd be seeing retards like Tom DeLonge or other really terrible pop-"punk" bands up here but IGN really did a decent job here. Would have liked to have seen Fat Mike or Richard Hell or Joe Strummer but this is fine.
And no mention of the New York Dolls is kinda criminal in my eyes.

amsyco13

Noob
Nov 13, 2000
Descent list, but like many have said, where the hell is Jello Biafra and Joe Strummer? Seriously, they should be number 1 and 2. And how about some love for the ladies? Eve Libertine anyone?

Sep 11, 2008
nice article guys. I gotta give a shout out to Chris Hannah from Propagandhi. That dude is amazing

here's my project for anyone interested.
myspace.com/battlebornmusic
(there's some old live demos up, record coming soon)

adsb

Noob
Nov 12, 2008
I can think of 3 that are a must that didn't make the list mike ness (social distortion)armstrong
(rancid)strummer the clash

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Glad to see Vanian included, although Machine Gun Etiquette is really the Damned's best and most influential record. And yes, as others have mentioned, leaving out Jello Biafra is inexcusable. Mike Ness also really belongs here. I would also include Charlie Harper from UK Subs, although he may not be as well known as most on this list. Probably should have been a Top 20 instead, would've been more complete.

Jun 27, 2008
yeah man, thats not Glenn Danzig. thats the bassist that thinks he has talent and is trying to carry the misfits along but failing miserably, Jerry Only.

Magana78

Noob
Oct 13, 2007
God I'm happy to see that it was a real punk signer top ten.... could have been name like billy joe or other **** like that... but where's Stiv Bators, Jello Biafra, Pete Shelley and others?!

Oct 26, 2008
Hey i learned something today. IGN DOESN'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT PUNK SO GTFO!!! Ok, ign i will give you the fact that you're the main reason to why i buy most of my games and I'm a gamer through and through, but dont even try to pull this shit. Fat Mike, Darby Crash, Ian MacKaye, Anthony Civarelli and Glenn Danzig (<<<not jerry only) should be in this fucking list bar none. My username might not represent my attitude towards punk but don't let that fool you I KNOW MY SHIT. period.

conatonc

Winter is Coming
Oct 16, 2001
Tim Armstrong may be the most overrated singer in the history of punk. His vocals are distinctive, but they were never good.

I'm extremely gratified to see Chad Price on this list. As many awesome songs as the band wrote in their early days with Dave Smalley and Scott Reynolds, they really didn't take off completely until Price joined ALL with the amazing Breaking Things.

Also, as much as I enjoy NOFX, I was really happy that nobody from the "nasally whine" school of punk singing made the list. No Fat Mike, no Ben Weasel, no Joey Cape, and not the guy from Propagandi, either.

Felya

I'm gonna do a voodoo dance 'til you feel my power
Aug 24, 2000
Jello Biafra, Anthony Civarelli and Kathleen Hanna should be on the damn list.

Oh and depends how you classify him, but any singer list that can even remotely include him... Mike Patton...

Edit: Oh and grats on figuring out what Glenn Danzig looks like...

aido112

Noob
Oct 15, 2008
where the hell is billie joe,

he is the best performer i have ever seen live. and it will probably stay that way.

Oct 9, 2003
I could go on forever with little bits of who should be on here who isn't, but instead, I want to take a second to thank IGN for including Greg Graffin from Bad Religion on this list.
It blows my mind how little mention that band gets whenever I am read some "punk retrospective." They were never the easily-sold image of punk as "Wild and rowdy bastards." Rather, they represented the absolute inteleectual ideology of what punk truly could be. They took it out of its juvenile, infantile phase, and made it smart.
They are the anti-GG Allin.
Yet, to call, them "pop" because they have a somewhat refined sound is positively missing the point of what punk is at its core, beyond the image.
Bad Religion will never be pop, because they will never be frivolous and fun. They will always extoll the burning desperate messages of our times.

Oct 10, 2007
As soon as I saw the link I knew Glen Danzig was gonna be number one. If only AFI hadn't turned gay Davey Havok would've been high on this list. Before people start flaming me for that make sure you have listened to something off of Black Sails in the Sunset, Open your Eyes and Sut You Mouth, etc. if you dont believe me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3WPURmdD4 - Black sails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYeNegC-7W8&feature=related - Open Your Eyes and Sut Your Mouth

Andrewsc1

Noob
Mar 19, 2007
hmmm, i believe Mike Muir from suicidal tendencies should be on this list, especially since he made punk popular with the song Institutionalized.

Aug 24, 2008
When your Refrencing how great the misfits were, don't use cough/cool. That songs sucks. I would refrence Return of the Fly rather than Cough/Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.