Lord_Auric

Lord High President of Gallifrey
Dec 6, 2002
"If I could only drive one car for the rest of my life, it would be ________________________."

Jay Leno's Garage posted this on Facebook and it got me thinking.

What car would I buy if I could only have one car for the rest of my life. A lot of people picked great sports cars and classics but when you really think about it those would make horrid only cars. Hell I suspect the people that choose them have never had something like a Corvette as their only car. I have so I know the problems that come with it.

I love driving my Corvette but driving it daily even if you live in Florida isn't going to work. Sometimes you will need 4 seats.

So why not get something like a GT-R or 911? Those are actually pretty good choices and both honestly have pretty good winter driving abilities with the right tries. The 911 has no real cargo space so that is out as you couldn't even really go to Walmart or Target without taking multiple trips or hiring someone to bring your stuff home. The GT-R may be a bit better but the backseats are useless once your kids are like 5.

So what did I choose? BMW M5. You get a sedan that has been turned into a damn good sports car. It hits so many buttons. IMO it is a great only car. But for someone like me who likes owning two or more cars it seems a bit pointless. I would never in real life buy one. But if we lived in a world where you only got one car and had to keep it that appears to me to be the best choice.

So what would you choose?
And I would love to hear if anyone has a better choice for me than an M5 based on it working as the best all around compromise car.

Jeff_is_2Xtreme

Aggie Proud
Oct 28, 2003
Do we have to pay for it? And maintain it? Or it's given to us and we 'have' to drive it for the rest of our lives cost free? [face_tongue]

With no maintenance costs, I'd probably say an Audi S6 or S8.
If we're factoring in costs and repairs, I'd probably go with a Honda Accord or something. lol

Vicious_Truth

No Longer a Noob
Jan 6, 2003
I'd keep my Cayman S, serious answer.

Perfect car for me. It's never failed to bring a smile to my face.

HappyTroopa

Godspeed
Nov 29, 2002
Probably the Audi A8 or Q5, assuming I don't have to pay for maintenance.

If I did have to pay for it all... something more practical like an Accord or Camry.

DuctTapeNinja

Lord of Lard
Jan 1, 2006
Do we have to pay for it? And maintain it? Or it's given to us and we 'have' to drive it for the rest of our lives cost free? [face_tongue]

With no maintenance costs, I'd probably say an Audi S6 or S8.
If we're factoring in costs and repairs, I'd probably go with a Honda Accord or something. lol
Good question
No maintenance/insurance/gas - Prolly a Cadillac CTS-V
If I had to pay for everything - Prolly something pre-computershit so it needs less repairs and less expensive of repairs. Can you imagine owning a modern car for the next 40 or 50 years? God damn they go to shit at 5-10 years old. You'd have to completely rebuild them once a decade at high cost since no one will have parts for it in a few decades. The older cars can be bodged back to working order with generic parts by anyone in his garage.

Last edited:

TheNewCharlie985

The Hugable, Lovable, Edible Cap
Feb 13, 2001
Infiniti M35 Hybrid or Lexus GS 450h

Might as well keep it something powerful, upscale, but not too gawdy---at least four doors, sporty, comfortable, yet fuel conscious

Last edited:

woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Holden Torana SS A9X with all the options

//is the greatest 4+ seat car of all time imo, likely the fastest (circuit racer) pre-80's muscle car too (not counting ponies, then again the Cobra Falcons which were basically top-end small V8 engined Mustangs couldn't keep up so it might've even been faster than all the ponies too[face_thinking] )

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Respect my fresh
Aug 8, 2002
It would probably be some souped up luxocruiser that wasn't ridiculously overpriced... Like a CTS-V or S6, something along those lines.

Closest thing to combining sportiness and practicality.

Last edited:

TheNewCharlie985

Feb 13, 2001
It would probably be some souped up luxocruiser that wasn't ridiculously overpriced... Like a CTS-V or S6, something along those lines.

dat gas mileage... :(

I'd say an A6 3.0T is plenty sporty and practical, but whatever...

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Respect my fresh
Aug 8, 2002

An S6 actually gets pretty damn decent gas mileage, relatively speaking. 17/27/20 isn't half bad for a big, heavy, AWD sedan that does 0-60 in... ok, I just looked it up. Screw that, this car isn't nearly as fast as I thought. I think I had it mixed up with the S8. Audi disappoints me again. Probably the CTS-V then. Yeah, mileage isn't great, but we're picking one car, gotta make some compromises... Although I suspect the next gen CTS-V will get very significantly better mileage, and be slightly faster, too. So soon that will probably be my pick.

TheNewCharlie985

Feb 13, 2001

An S6 actually gets pretty damn decent gas mileage, relatively speaking. 17/27/20 isn't half bad for a big, heavy, AWD sedan that does 0-60 in... ok, I just looked it up. Screw that, this car isn't nearly as fast as I thought. I think I had it mixed up with the S8. Audi disappoints me again. Probably the CTS-V then. Yeah, mileage isn't great, but we're picking one car, gotta make some compromises... Although I suspect the next gen CTS-V will get very significantly better mileage, and be slightly faster, too. So soon that will probably be my pick.
Damn man, are you seriously gonna be hitting the track every day or something?

RocketGuy3

Respect my fresh
Aug 8, 2002

Damn man, are you seriously gonna be hitting the track every day or something?
As often as possible... And there's also the occasional on-ramp or traffic light fun. Again, we only get one car. I'd like to know that I can have some serious fun in this car if I want to. Plus, the charged V8 is probably going to feel and sound better even in every day driving.

EDIT: The V would get about 25% worse mileage than the A6, which, given my driving habits, would cost me about $30 extra a month. That's worth it. And I suspect the next generation V, with the use of direct injection and AFM will be at least 20% better than the current, and that car isn't far off.

Last edited:

Tiger61378

You gonna scream before I ban ya?
Sep 4, 2000
Fyrestone, deep in the Borderlands
Hmm...no maint/insurance costs (all covered)? Aston Martin DB9 (I like the lines of the old DB9 over the more wild crap that's been added to the DBS). One of the most beautiful cars ever, IMHO, and that engine note... [face_drooling]

TheViking

Noob
Jun 21, 2012
Valhalla
I seriously considered getting an Aston Martin and having it supercharged before I bought my last car, but it just wasn't quite fun enough. Nice cars though.

Apr 26, 2013
Could be risky going with an all new model, but a fully loaded Audi SQ5. A luxurious, sporty awd SUV made by one of my personal favorite brands, I will give it a go. Almost chose an audi rs6. Also considered a loaded subaru impreza wrx sti.

Folkvar

Noob
Oct 19, 2013
No cost for maintenance ect. - Audi S8, I need something with all wheel drive for the winter and I dont want to be restricted to only 2 doors.

If I have to pay for everything probably an older 4 door truck of some kind.

rush3d

No Longer a Noob
Aug 11, 2013
With no costs... i'd go for a gran turismo s. It's such a beauty.
Having to pay fuel, insurance, maintenance and all that... i'd go to a simple Golf. Cheap, reliable and fun.