garbarator

Super Star
Aug 26, 2007
if he does a david bowie cover album like he said he wants to he should just take that cover and photoshop out bowie and the title and just leave it as an empty street with that sign that says k.west

or recreate the Heroes cover

Last edited:

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
this thread is going to be the most cringeworthy thing ever. here let me do it for everyone. kanye sucks, hes an asshole, when i liked music in the 90s we laughed at rap, pop music is for tweens, rap is for teens, kanye doesnt make his own music, david bowie is a god and shouldnt even be in the same sentence as kanye, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Sal17_0

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 21, 2015
"Start a fight club, brad reputation"
"Step back can't get spunk on the mink/I mean damn what would Jeromey Romey Romey rome think"
"And hey ayo we made it to Thanksgiving/so hey maybe we can make it to Christmas"

Really hard figuring which one of these speaks to the genius that is Kanye...

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
"Start a fight club, brad reputation"
"Step back can't get spunk on the mink/I mean damn what would Jeromey Romey Romey rome think"
"And hey ayo we made it to Thanksgiving/so hey maybe we can make it to Christmas"

Really hard figuring which one of these speaks to the genius that is Kanye...
yeah lyrics are always what define music as great. you're coming into your musical taste. im not going to argue musical taste with someone who put a clutch album in their top 10.

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
i googled 'clutch lyrics' and found the first song i came to and these are the opening lyrics.

Please Allow Me To Adjust My Pants
So That I May Dance The Good Time Dance
And Put The Onlookers And Innocent Bystanders Into A Trance

Give Disease So The Swine Will Marry And Propagate Lies.
Tough Luck For Elected Officials. The Beast You See Got Fifty Eyes.
Bring It On Home, Spread The Wealth. Play It Cool, The Hand's Been Dealt.
Now, All The Odds Are In Our Favor. Save The Victory Speeches For Later.

Streets On Fire, The Mob Goes Wild.

we're done here.

Sal17_0

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 21, 2015
ok yea some clutch lyrics are dumb party metal. But I've never heard anyone describe clutch as geniuses.
I have heard people describe Kanye as a genius though. And lyrics definitely are "part" of what makes a song good. I do think Kanye can be great (Jesus Walks, Black Skinhead) but he also made Bound 2, which is completely awful with the exception of the sample.

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
ive learned to love bound 2. it's a great song. i criticized melo when yeezus came out for it. but i was wrong. it's a great song and video.

i think siq asked "why" to me. why create this thread?

it had to be done. we need to discuss this. i really think it's true.

i remember when they did the disaster relief concert. from hurricane sandy i think? and kanye wore a kilt. what other rap/hip hop artist ever had the balls to wear a kilt? no one obviously. he has big black balls.

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
i'm also snowed in my friends. there is 2 feet of snow outside. i have nothing to do but listen to kanye and bowie

Goldenboyy

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 24, 2012
Solipsist Wonderland
I was in NYC this last week from Saturday to Wednesday, just thinking about how I narrowly escaped. My plane was delayed at LaGuardia for an hour and a half because of backed up air traffic due to weather.

Good Luck

Last edited:

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
ok yea some clutch lyrics are dumb party metal. But I've never heard anyone describe clutch as geniuses.
I have heard people describe Kanye as a genius though. And lyrics definitely are "part" of what makes a song good. I do think Kanye can be great (Jesus Walks, Black Skinhead) but he also made Bound 2, which is completely awful with the exception of the sample.
I'll go ahead and actually respond to this because I get sick of seeing people say Kanye is blinded defended, despite the fact that you said nothing of substance about WHY Bound 2 is 'completely awful'. Throw out words like genius or brilliant here, and let's just talk about interesting. Bound 2 is brilliant in my mind for the reasons I'll try to explain, but being as subjective as that is, lets try INTERESTING. Kanye West is ostensibly the biggest rap star in the world, or just one of the biggest pop culture figures period. Now, to me it is incredibly interesting that someone so ubiquitous and household would make a record that SOUNDS like America smashing in half.

Forget what the words say for a second and think about how the song sounds. Furthermore, think about what that sound says, and how it says it louder than any specific words could. Bound 2 is a deconstruction, a middle finger, a sign off. Yeezus is an album full of abrasive, industrial rap and the epilogue serves as the only logical reprieve in that albums universe. Which is to say not much. Right away addressing hip hop heads concern about him no longer being a 'conscious rapper' by filling up his love song with lurid, and admittedly juvenile lines is in essence biting the hand that once fed him. Kanye as the contradictory rebel.

Remember how we loved those Kanye soul samples (the one thing you say is good about the song)? Well, again here he addresses that through confrontation. The sample is looped into oblivion until is because cloying and serves the exact opposite purpose of his normal soul samples. The song faces head on the perception that Kanye would 'go soft' after marriage, or that his persona as the representation of gnarled, flawed humanity and sexuality would be compromised. Not at all. Bound 2 effectively says marriage is just another institution with ideals for me to be conflicted about, to rage against, to betray and eventually regret betraying.

Bound 2 is interesting because it's the sound of one of the largest figures in the world dropping all of the balls he was juggling for the past three albums and letting them break. All of this subtext isn't necessary for my enjoyment of Kanye's music at all though, and that's very important to state. More than anything Kanye makes musical moments that stop you in your tracks. Or they at least stop me. Thusly, the euphoria of "JEROME'S IN THE HOUSE WATCH YA MOUTH' is made inherently impossible to defend. How can we argue about what makes the hair on our necks stand up? I don't know that we can. But, to nitpick the little cogs in Kanye's viscera machine is to miss the point entirely. Listen to Bound 2 and if it escapes you then let it be.

e: BY THE WAY before siq or someone not siq says oh my god stop taking it so seriously, tl dr, you wrote a book. its just four (small) rambling paragraphs that dont mean shit. music is for fun. the alternative is to say nothing and let the beautiful name of kanye be dragged through the mud without resistance. what would yeezus do? i ask myself this in the face of such adversity. yeezus would incoherently, and with vibrant passion, ramble about what he thinks deserves to be heard, seen, read.

Last edited:

Tomtin

I lived on hazel st
Jun 11, 2001
I'll go ahead and actually respond to this because I get sick of seeing people say Kanye is blinded defended, despite the fact that you said nothing of substance about WHY Bound 2 is 'completely awful'. Throw out words like genius or brilliant here, and let's just talk about interesting. Bound 2 is brilliant in my mind for the reasons I'll try to explain, but being as subjective as that is, lets try INTERESTING. Kanye West is ostensibly the biggest rap star in the world, or just one of the biggest pop culture figures period. Now, to me it is incredibly interesting that someone so ubiquitous and household would make a record that SOUNDS like America smashing in half.

Forget what the words say for a second and think about how the song sounds. Furthermore, think about what that sound says, and how it says it louder than any specific words could. Bound 2 is a deconstruction, a middle finger, a sign off. Yeezus is an album full of abrasive, industrial rap and the epilogue serves as the only logical reprieve in that albums universe. Which is to say not much. Right away addressing hip hop heads concern about him no longer being a 'conscious rapper' by filling up his love song with lurid, and admittedly juvenile lines is in essence biting the hand that once fed him. Kanye as the contradictory rebel.

Remember how we loved those Kanye soul samples (the one thing you say is good about the song)? Well, again here he addresses that through confrontation. The sample is looped into oblivion until is because cloying and serves the exact opposite purpose of his normal soul samples. The song faces head on the perception that Kanye would 'go soft' after marriage, or that his persona as the representation of gnarled, flawed humanity and sexuality would be compromised. Not at all. Bound 2 effectively says marriage is just another institution with ideals for me to be conflicted about, to rage against, to betray and eventually regret betraying.

Bound 2 is interesting because it's the sound of one of the largest figures in the world dropping all of the balls he was juggling for the past three albums and letting them break. All of this subtext isn't necessary for my enjoyment of Kanye's music at all though, and that's very important to state. More than anything Kanye makes musical moments that stop you in your tracks. Or they at least stop me. Thusly, the euphoria of "JEROME'S IN THE HOUSE WATCH YA MOUTH' is made inherently impossible to defend. How can we argue about what makes the hair on our necks stand up? I don't know that we can. But, to nitpick the little cogs in Kanye's viscera machine is to miss the point entirely. Listen to Bound 2 and if it escapes you then let it be.

e: BY THE WAY before siq or someone not siq says oh my god stop taking it so seriously, tl dr, you wrote a book. its just four (small) rambling paragraphs that dont mean shit. music is for fun. the alternative is to say nothing and let the beautiful name of kanye be dragged through the mud without resistance. what would yeezus do? i ask myself this in the face of such adversity. yeezus would incoherently, and with vibrant passion, ramble about what he thinks deserves to be heard, seen, read.

you articulate my thoughts before i fully form them.

post of the year/2016

Last edited:

AaronP1264

Star
Dec 23, 2002
sounds fucked up an heretical but bound 2 is the only song off yeezus that i really am gravitated towards. all the rest are good rap songs that i don't listen to.

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013
ok i'm just gonna leave the thread here, but first a final rant. Kanye is not "indie rock." Kanye is a pretty shitty lyricist for the most part. Kanye tries to be this generation's Billy Corgan, but only ends up looking like an asshole and an idiot, while Billy just ended up as an asshole.
Bowie was a respectable person for the most part. He kicked drugs in the 70s and had a long lasting marriage.

Maybe Kanye is an artist for people who like his genre, but not for me.

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
ok i'm just gonna leave the thread here, but first a final rant. Kanye is not "indie rock." Kanye is a pretty shitty lyricist for the most part. Kanye tries to be this generation's Billy Corgan, but only ends up looking like an asshole and an idiot, while Billy just ended up as an asshole.
Bowie was a respectable person for the most part. He kicked drugs in the 70s and had a long lasting marriage.

Maybe Kanye is an artist for people who like his genre, but not for me.
this is a horrible post for many reasons but the worst is that you assume some of us think kanye west is 'indie rock' or that 'indie rock' even fucking matters. also lmao at billy corgan. i hate these generic hot takes that say nothing about the music. a pretty shitty lyricist? cool story bro. if you want to misguidedly stumble around some semblance of critical thought about music feel free. but dont act like bowie is some sort of saint and kanye is a devil. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/angel...wies-sexual-misconduct-matters_b_9009230.html

AND lastly. thank fucking god or thank yeezus that kanye's music isn't for people that like shitty rock music. thats fine, thats fine. nobody is forcing you to like it or comment on it. let us be in peace.

Last edited:

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
people still suck in like 2003 is so cringe. its like they just discovered its okay to like black music, pop music, rap, etc and they have this idiotic thought in their head that but wait the radio sucks man indie rock is life bro radiohead/rem make REAL MUSIC THEY PLAY INSTRUMENTS. its so pathetic lmao.

siQness

No Indie For Old Men
Sep 24, 2001
Melo just wrote "cool story ,bro"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
i want to ask you what is the best venue in south florida? all the places in central florida are gettting super sketch. have you been to like backbooth? i dont know if you ever come this way.

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013
people still suck in like 2003 is so cringe. its like they just discovered its okay to like black music, pop music, rap, etc and they have this idiotic thought in their head that but wait the radio sucks man indie rock is life bro radiohead/rem make REAL MUSIC THEY PLAY INSTRUMENTS. its so pathetic lmao.
No, i like some rap. I just really dont like Kanye. There's not a problem with having an opinion. People can like Kanye if they want. Id kwhat your definition of "black music" is but if you're talking about old school rock or jazz, then yes i enjoy that. With pop, there's some i like. A pop act, twenty one pilots, have released plenty of good songs. Again, rap, I don't hate it. There's just a lot I don't like, which includes kanye.

And Radiohead and REM were at one point indie rock, but they really arent. REM signed with Warner Bros in the late 80s and made tons of hits on pop radio. That doesnt mean they suck. Radiohead made tons of top 40 hits in the UK. That doesn't mean they suck either. So point is, I may not like Kanye but that does not mean that I hate all non indie music.

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
No, i like some rap. I just really dont like Kanye. There's not a problem with having an opinion. People can like Kanye if they want. Id kwhat your definition of "black music" is but if you're talking about old school rock or jazz, then yes i enjoy that. With pop, there's some i like. A pop act, twenty one pilots, have released plenty of good songs. Again, rap, I don't hate it. There's just a lot I don't like, which includes kanye.

And Radiohead and REM were at one point indie rock, but they really arent. REM signed with Warner Bros in the late 80s and made tons of hits on pop radio. That doesnt mean they suck. Radiohead made tons of top 40 hits in the UK. That doesn't mean they suck either. So point is, I may not like Kanye but that does not mean that I hate all non indie music.
tqZm14R.gif

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013

tqZm14R.gif
gr8 b8 m9

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL

tqZm14R.gif
gr8 b8 m9
i dont know what that means but to really respond to your post i think its fine to dislike kanye. i think its fine to dislike any artist. i just don't see why there can't be a civil discussion about his music that doesn't attack his character or his fans. im more than willingly to have a back and forth about the merits of his music. there are plenty of flaws to it and i respect the opinions against them. ag has brought up a lot that he doesn't specifically make his music and that he curates others to do so, and i think that is a valid point that doesn't go out of its way to bash for no reason.

carmelofellow23

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 5, 2015
FL
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/funwillfunwill.4883639/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/funwillfunwill.4883639/']@funwillfunwill[/URL][/URL] You don't understand man! if you hate Kanye you hate all rappers and apparently all "black music"!
how come you can respond to his post but you can't respond to reasonble defense of kanyes MUSIC? it seems like you want to discuss anything but the music. this is the problem. although i do think this new friendship between you two is cute.

Last edited:

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013
i dont know what that means but to really respond to your post i think its fine to dislike kanye. i think its fine to dislike any artist. i just don't see why there can't be a civil discussion about his music that doesn't attack his character or his fans. im more than willingly to have a back and forth about the merits of his music. there are plenty of flaws to it and i respect the opinions against them. ag has brought up a lot that he doesn't specifically make his music and that he curates others to do so, and i think that is a valid point that doesn't go out of its way to bash for no reason.
Honestly that is correct, so I won't continue with any rants, but will actually explain what i mean.

Sal17_0

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 21, 2015
I think our friendship is cute as well 9/10
I read through your long ass post and decided to not comment because you obviously think very highly of Kanye, so no matter what idiotic lyric I post of his, it doesn't change anything.

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/funwillfunwill.4883639/'][URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/funwillfunwill.4883639/']@funwillfunwill[/URL][/URL] You don't understand man! if you hate Kanye you hate all rappers and apparently all "black music"!
how come you can respond to his post but you can't respond to reasonble defense of kanyes MUSIC? it seems like you want to discuss anything but the music. this is the problem. although i do think this new friendship between you two is cute.
I think my defense was perfectly logical. I don't like his music. That doesn't mean I have anything against musical evolution.

funwillfunwill

Almost Not a Noob
May 21, 2013
I think our friendship is cute as well 9/10
I read through your long ass post and decided to not comment because you obviously think very highly of Kanye, so no matter what idiotic lyric I post of his, it doesn't change anything.
But Kanye has really inspirational lyrics, like
Welcome to the good life
Where *****z that sell D
Won't even get pulled over in they new V
The good life, let's go on a living' spree
Shit they say the best things in life are free
The good life, it feel like Atlanta
It feel like L.A., it feel like Miami
It feel like N.Y., summertime Chi, ahh
(Now throw your hands up in the sky)
So I roll through good
Y'all pop the trunk, I pop the hood, Ferrari