Sawyerson

I'll saw yer son.
Feb 25, 2007
Because it's the offseason and we're all bored. Let's start with the 1900s just because. Most of these have pretty obvious ones but there are some that could have a few different answers and I'm curious to see how much variety there is, if any.

Here's what I got
1900s: Honus Wagner
1910s: Ty Cobb
1920s: Babe Ruth
1930s: Lou Gehrig
1940s: Ted Williams
1950s: Mickey Mantle
1960s: Willie Mays
1970s: Tom Seaver
1980s: Rickey Henderson
1990s: Barry Bonds
2000s: Albert Pujols
2010s: Mike Trout

Some stray thoughts I had while doing this.
  • Rogers Hornsby was really screwed playing at the same time as Babe Ruth. His 1920s might be the second best decade ever behind Ruth's 20s. It's a shame his name isn't really known outside of baseball fans.
  • Obviously splitting it by decades is arbitrary and unfair to guys like Stan Musial and Mike Schmidt whose peaks covered parts of two decades.
  • Walter Johnson's 10s are probably the best decade ever for a pitcher. But again, that's unfair to people like Randy Johnson, whose 10-year stretch from 95 to 04 was ridiculous.
  • Barry Bonds stopped playing in 2007 and he's still third in WAR for the decade. lol
  • The 70s were the hardest pick for me. It was a toss-up between Tom Seaver and Joe Morgan with Johnny Bench and Bert Blyleven not too far behind.
  • If I had to pick right now, Clayton Kershaw has probably been the player of the 2010s but I don't think it's unfair to project forward a bit with Trout.
  • What stuck out to me the most, and maybe this is what this thread should be about instead of people making lists, is just how obvious most of these were. Every complete decade other than the 70s had at most two players who were the clear cream of the crop. The 80s were the next-most competitive but I still think Rickey Henderson is a fairly obvious pick. I had never really thought about it before but for pretty much all of baseball history there have been a very, very small number of players who were heads and shoulders better than everyone else. This decade has been an exception so far, with Trout, Kershaw, McCutchen, Cabrera, Votto, Bautista, Beltre and Cano all performing at elite levels, but obviously the first three are the only ones who project to continue that for the rest of the decade, and it's very easy to see Trout run away with it like so many players have in decades before.
This concludes the semi-coherent thoughts that went on through my brain on a very boring work day

yeah

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't feel like splitting hairs between position players and pitchers, so I went with the best of each.

1880s: Dan Brouthers / Tim Keefe
1890s: Billy Hamilton / Kid Nichols
1900s: Honus Wagner / Christy Mathewson
1910s: Ty Cobb / Walter Johnson
1920s: Babe Ruth / Dazzy Vance
1930s: Lou Gehrig / Carl Hubbell
1940s: Ted Williams / Hal Newhouser
1950s: Mickey Mantle / Warren Spahn
1960s: Willie Mays / Sandy Koufax
1970s: Joe Morgan / Tom Seaver
1980s: Rickey Henderson / Roger Clemens
1990s: Barry Bonds / Greg Maddux
2000s: Barry Bonds / Randy Johnson
2010s: Mike Trout / Clayton Kershaw

Observations:
  • The 1870s are impossible for me to choose without just going straight to some form of WAR. The numbers are all so similar across the board, with high batting averages and high SB totals, and universally low K and BB rates (for pitchers and hitters alike).
  • Tris Speaker is an all-time great, and deserves a ton of credit (Cobb has him on longevity, but they had similar peaks).
  • The same applies to Rogers Hornsby (as compared to Ruth).
  • Vance and Lefty Grove were strikeout machines compared to their contemporaries.
  • Jimmie Foxx and Gehrig were a complete toss-up.
  • I don't care that Williams had a great deal fewer games than many of the best players in the 1940s - he was head and shoulders above everyone else.
  • The 1940s was a shaky decade for pitching. Newhouser wins by throwing the most innings, really.
  • I almost went with Williams again in the 1950s, but Mantle was almost as good in nearly 1400 more PA. This is the first time things are skewed a bit by going a decade at a time, as it shows a much larger gap between Mantle and Willie Mays than most would guess.
  • For the first time, I went with peak in the 1960s - Bob Gibson was better overall than Koufax, but couldn't match his peak. Gibson got screwed a bit by having what may have been his best year in 1970.
  • Morgan is underrated because of ... well ... Fire Joe Morgan. He was one of the best hitters in the 1970s, a very good defensive second baseman, and a great base-runner. Johnny Bench is the only guy that comes close for me.
  • Much of what I said about Morgan applies to Henderson - he's remembered more so for gaudy steals totals and speaking in the third person than for his amazing all-around performance.
  • Peak over longevity applies in the 1980s, as well - I'd take Clemens or Doc Gooden at their best over Nolan Ryan.
  • I'm taking peak in the 2000s, too. Bonds was just too fucking good, steroids be damned. Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez are the runners up (and Rodriguez may've taken it if he hadn't moved off of SS).
  • Javy Vazquez was second in pitcher's fWAR in the 2000s. That's ... unexpected.
  • Are we seeing a repeat of the 10s and 20s with Andrew McCutchen? He's a step behind Trout, to be sure, but he's a fantastic player in his own right.

NBAman619

Draymod Green
Oct 3, 2005
Ricky Henderson has my favorite Baseball Reference page, other than Bonds of course.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Problem is trying to find definitive stats on the "dead ball era" isn't easy
The biggest issue is runs versus earned runs. The quality of defense was very low on the whole, and the quantity of strikeouts was such that the vast majority of balls were put into play. Eyeballing the numbers, neither Young nor Mathewson had a clear advantage in unearned runs, so I tend to have faith in the era adjusted metrics.

Young is also hindered by the fact that his peak was basically from the early to mid 1890s through the early 1900s, and he slipped in the last few years of the 00s. Mathewson had his two or three best years in that latter stretch, and I tend to go with peak over longevity (unless it's an abbreviated peak with nothing else behind it).

ThunderFist17

No Longer a Noob
Nov 16, 2011
Harlem
How about we split the difference between NL and AL players since it's almost criminal to leave the Rajah off this list among others or is that too much?

andrew342678

Sorry Pearl, this item's not on the MENU!
Oct 25, 2003
Lol let's let this decade finish before dubbing Trout the best of the decade

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
Lol let's let this decade finish before dubbing Trout the best of the decade
It's interesting to wonder who could catch him, and how.

In terms of WAR, only McCutchen is close to him - and he's played a fair bit more than Trout. He would be the most logical choice, but he'd need to maintain his production into his 30s with Trout slipping. Harper is the only player who has had a similarly brilliant all around season, but he's way behind Trout overall. In order for Harper to catch up, Trout's production would need to fall off a cliff.

Last edited:

hbguy311

Stud Muffin
Sep 29, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
IMO, Ken Griffey Jr. was the best of the 90's. I'm convinced he would be the HR king if it wasn't for so many injuries. Bonds steroid use likely started in his early to mid 30's and but that guy was also a beast. Maybe I am a little bias though as The Kid is my favorite player of all time.

Last edited:

MisterForumAccount

No Longer a Noob
Sep 25, 2015
as good as griff was, It'd be a hard sell for me to even consider anyone close to bonds for the decade.

im not making a list but rough on pedro to pivot on decades

edhoo

Mystery Moose
Jul 14, 2003
MrMVP's bed
Mike Trout will be the second best player of this decade because he is clearly the greatest at being a runner up of all time.

jyu467

No Longer a Noob
Sep 15, 2012
How about we split the difference between NL and AL players since it's almost criminal to leave the Rajah off this list among others or is that too much?
I agree with this. Interleague play has only been around very recently. Hornsby never played Ruth except for the World Series. They had totally different competition. NL had more parity.

jyu467

No Longer a Noob
Sep 15, 2012
1900s: Honus Wagner
1910s: Walter Johnson
1920s: Babe Ruth
1930s: Jimmie Foxx
1940s: Ted Williams
1950s: Mickey Mantle
1960s: Willie Mays
1970s: Joe Morgan
1980s: Cal Ripken Jr.
1990s: Greg Maddux
2000s: Barry Bonds
2010s: Mike Trout

Sawyerson

I'll saw yer son.
Feb 25, 2007
Anybody want to make predictions for the 2020s so we can bump this in nine years on whatever is left of the boards/ civilization

jyu467

No Longer a Noob
Sep 15, 2012
Anybody want to make predictions for the 2020s so we can bump this in nine years on whatever is left of the boards/ civilization
Mike Trout, maybe Juan Soto since he's a monster with the bat, but Trout plays CF, so he's going to accumulate more WAR at that position.

jyu467

No Longer a Noob
Sep 15, 2012
I'm adjusting my list splitting position positions and pitchers as well as AL and NL.

AL:
  • 1900s: Nap Lajoie / Cy Young
  • 1910s: Ty Cobb / Walter Johnson
  • 1920s: Babe Ruth / Herb Pennock
  • 1930s: Jimmie Foxx / Lefty Grove
  • 1940s: Ted Williams / Bob Feller
  • 1950s: Mickey Mantle / Early Wynn
  • 1960s: Brooks Robinson / Whitey Ford
  • 1970s: Rod Carew / Jim Palmer
  • 1980s: Rickey Henderson / Jack Morris
  • 1990s: Ken Griffey Jr. / Roger Clemens
  • 2000s: Alex Rodriguez / Roy Halladay