Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
Since GSP left, and realistically since Brock left, there's been a major void of PPV champions. Nobody is drawing like they did (despite what Dana says about Rousey).

What fighters do you think as having potential to be the next big PPV draw?

Watching Lawler/Hendricks last night was fun, and Johnny has a somewhat charismatic persona, but not sure he could ever become that BIG draw. On the fence with that one.

Most of the current champions have issues. Ronda has a thin division. Mighty Mouse is the most boring personality in MMA history. Cain is dryer than dry. Aldo fights smart/safe and can't speak English. Barao can't speak English. Pettis has the full package, but is oft injured. Leaving Jones and Weidman as the only two high potential draws.

Who else you guys got? Mcgregor?

Quasimordor

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR OVER FIVE YEARS!!! HALP ME!!!!
Apr 1, 2010
Pettis can be a superstar if he can put in 3 fights in a year. Jones needs to stop trying to come across as wholesome and just embrace the Money Mayweather role. When he does that, people think he's being disingenuous and it hurts his popularity. Conor McGregor would be huge for the sport if he could touch gold. It's actually a little puzzling to me that GSP is as popular as he is. His fights are considered extremely boring and he doesn't talk shit... I love the guy but why do casuals love him so much? He's good looking and has a ton of Canadian support?

Apocalypse34

En Sabah Nur
Nov 28, 2002
If Rousey ends up going full heel I could probably see it, although to me personally I don't see her very heelish. She's more like a Kobe Bryant type, IMO. Jones is probably the best bet. He's charismatic, good-looking, does great in interviews, and commands that presence in a room. I suppose Weidman is right there too, but he still has awkward moments at weigh-ins, press conferences, etc. which I imagine he'll get more comfortable with as he settles into the limelight.

As for anyone else, beats me.

Rircore

King of IGN
Jul 20, 2005
if pettis would stay healthy him, Gil as well if they ufc keeps promoting them (which they are) he's on the UFC tonight show, and about to do tuf.

Obviously Ronda brings in a lot of the women viewers, believe it or not Nick Diaz does pretty good #s as well.

Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
if pettis would stay healthy him, Gil as well if they ufc keeps promoting them (which they are) he's on the UFC tonight show, and about to do tuf.

Obviously Ronda brings in a lot of the women viewers, believe it or not Nick Diaz does pretty good #s as well.
If Diaz were to win the title, he could be one of the biggest PPV draws ever. Exciting fighter, and as polarizing a personality as Brock. The UFC would LOVE if he became champ.

Except from, of course, the whole skipping media/press conferences thing...

Quasimordor

I'VE BEEN HERE FOR OVER FIVE YEARS!!! HALP ME!!!!
Apr 1, 2010
Diaz could be very big but the chances of him getting wrestle-fucked in that division are astounding.

-clt-

Super Star
Sep 23, 2008
I just don't see a guy bringing in Brock numbers any time soon. If Nick Diaz was a little bit better (i.e. good enough to win the belt and stay champ for years on end like GSP) he'd draw big numbers because he'd be so polarizing, kind of like Mayweather on a smaller scale. As many or more people tune in in hopes that he'll lose as opposed to actually liking the guy.

There aren't really very many stand out personalities in MMA. Most guys are pretty boring, really. It's bad when most of the more intriguing figures in an American based promotion are foreign, many of whom can't speak English.

Feb 2, 2006
Its too bad people care so much about personality and trash talk, I just care about how they fight. I mean I enjoy some good trash talk too but the guys whose fights I get most excited for right now are Cain and Barao. Cain barely says anything and Barao doesn't speak English, but I don't care because their fighting styles are so awesome.

Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
But EE, we're hardcore fans here... a smaller portion of fans. Like it or not, we need the trash talking polarizing entertaining personalities to drive the sport to higher levels.

So, Ronda drew 340k for the McMann fight. That's actually way better than I thought given it was the only fight on the card with any draw. And it outdrew 169 which had both Barao and Aldo title fights.

Feb 2, 2006
But EE, we're hardcore fans here... a smaller portion of fans. Like it or not, we need the trash talking polarizing entertaining personalities to drive the sport to higher levels.

So, Ronda drew 340k for the McMann fight. That's actually way better than I thought given it was the only fight on the card with any draw. And it outdrew 169 which had both Barao and Aldo title fights.

Oh I totally realize that. I'm just saying in a perfect world talent and an exciting style would be all you needed to rope in the casuals.

Apocalypse34

En Sabah Nur
Nov 28, 2002
Unfortunately it's the world we live in and it's not just limited to sports. We often factor in charisma, personality, and just generally how resonating someone is when we talk about their careers be it either sports, movies, or heck even national leaders.

Trevor03

Star
Dec 18, 2000
Even as a 'hardcore' fan, I see the need for personality. Who here can honestly say that GSP/Diaz wasn't a hundred times more compelling with all the added trash talk and craziness? Rashad/Page? Sonnen/Silva? Rousey/Tate?

I think it's easy to say we only care about fighting styles, but I don't know how true it is. Perhaps we care more about styles than charisma, but we all still care about charisma too.

This sport would be much less interesting if every fighter said the same things and acted the same way.

Apocalypse34

En Sabah Nur
Nov 28, 2002
True. The trash talk was the only reason I looked forward to GSP/Diaz as I felt Diaz had no shot of beating him. The media clashes with those two gave me something to care about.

legends4111

I can't think of anything clever to write for this
Oct 24, 2004
Pettis can be a superstar if he can put in 3 fights in a year. Jones needs to stop trying to come across as wholesome and just embrace the Money Mayweather role. When he does that, people think he's being disingenuous and it hurts his popularity. Conor McGregor would be huge for the sport if he could touch gold. It's actually a little puzzling to me that GSP is as popular as he is. His fights are considered extremely boring and he doesn't talk shit... I love the guy but why do casuals love him so much? He's good looking and has a ton of Canadian support?

GSP was a great face (in wrestling terms), the ultimate good guy.

D

Deleted member 4122256

Original poster
if he can get past the mental part and start decapitating people, Uriah Hall

Jun 1, 2016
McGregor? Dude is still huge in terms of draw power...easily the top "PPV King".

202 is going to sell like hotcakes.

Last edited:

Gsquat23

Star
Jun 27, 2010
Dry Dry Desert
I see this is old, but still, GSP never headlined a card inside the top 12 ppv buys and he was only ever on one within those. In order to do what Brock did, you have to look the part, talk the part, and walk the part. Brock looks like a giant viking savage, says some hilarious and sometimes embarrassing shit, and won the HW title only a few fights into his career.

Jul 27, 2016
If Michael Page ever ever makes it over to UFC from Bellator.. he'd be a MASSIVE draw after just a few fights.. providing he had the skills on the mic.