ShantmasterK

No Longer a Noob
Mar 17, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm into variations of metal such as symphonic, Celtic, and gothic metal. Nightwish, Eluveitie, Moonsorrow, and Battlelore are some of my favorite metal bands.

Deathstardom

No Longer a Noob
Jan 17, 2015
I'm into variations of metal such as symphonic, Celtic, and gothic metal. Nightwish, Eluveitie, Moonsorrow, and Battlelore are some of my favorite metal bands.
Progressive was not an option, nor was Symphonic, so I went with Power metal.

I am a fan of a lot of power metal bands like Blind Guardian and Kamelot, but I also lean towards progressive Iron Maiden/Dream theater style bands a bit more.

Symphonic is a different ball of wax.

I also love nightwish. I think Floor Jansen is the best singer they have ever had. Tarja was amazing with her Titanium pipes, but was very one dimensional. She would be incapable of singing a lot of stuff in the later albums. I also hated how lackadaisical Tarja was live. She would often walk off stage mid song and let the background vocals finish it

Anette often utterly butchered songs live. She got away with a lot on the studio albums because of overlapped backing vocals giving her artificial power, but her voice lacked any punch which made her butcher older favorites and get exposed on her own songs without piped in backing vocals. A lot of Anette era songs are favorites of mine, but they have been improved 10x in Floor's live versions.

Floor is just a goddess. Her live performances are better than Studio and she improved ever song she sang from either singer that came before her(Wishmaster being the sole exception)

But aside from Nightwish, I am not terribly fond of most other Symphonic acts. Nightwish really sets the bar high in terms of composition and putting on a show. I like some Epica now and then(Despite Mark jansen's growling which ruins songs). But Within temptation, Therion, and Delain do not do it for me.

ShantmasterK

No Longer a Noob
Mar 17, 2013
Wisconsin

I am a fan of a lot of power metal bands like Blind Guardian and Kamelot, but I also lean towards progressive Iron Maiden/Dream theater style bands a bit more.

I also love nightwish. I think Floor Jansen is the best singer they have ever had. Tarja was amazing with her Titanium pipes, but was very one dimensional. She would be incapable of singing a lot of stuff in the later albums. I also hated how lackadaisical Tarja was live. She would often walk off stage mid song and let the background vocals finish it

Anette often utterly butchered songs live. She got away with a lot on the studio albums because of overlapped backing vocals giving her artificial power, but her voice lacked any punch which made her butcher older favorites and get exposed on her own songs without piped in backing vocals. A lot of Anette era songs are favorites of mine, but they have been improved 10x in Floor's live versions.

Floor is just a goddess. Her live performances are better than Studio and she improved ever song she sang from either singer that came before her(Wishmaster being the sole exception)

But aside from Nightwish, I am not terribly fond of most other Symphonic acts. Nightwish really sets the bar high in terms of composition and putting on a show. I like some Epica now and then(Despite Mark jansen's growling which ruins songs). But Within temptation, Therion, and Delain do not do it for me.

I feel the same on the Nightwish singers. Annette just didn't fit. I am also a fan of Epica and Within Temptation. I do like Therion and Delain, but don't listen to much of them.

Deathstardom

No Longer a Noob
Jan 17, 2015

I feel the same on the Nightwish singers. Annette just didn't fit. I am also a fan of Epica and Within Temptation. I do like Therion and Delain, but don't listen to much of them.
Anette's style over Tarja's one dimensional style allowed them to branch and try different tunes Tarja was incapable of. Which in itself was a good thing. But still, wrong singer.

A lot of Anette fans rave about Dark Passion play and how they are "her" songs(Particularly Poet and the Pendulum), but they had that entire album written before she even joined the band. Which is why there is a demo with Marco singing every song on that album.

In the end it does not matter. Tuomas writes everything. I stopped listening to them for a long time until I saw that Floor had joined and then I realized I DID like every song on the 2 Anette albums, i Just hated the pop vocals. Floor made us realize how good those songs could be

ShantmasterK

No Longer a Noob
Mar 17, 2013
Wisconsin

Anette's style over Tarja's one dimensional style allowed them to branch and try different tunes Tarja was incapable of. Which in itself was a good thing. But still, wrong singer.

A lot of Anette fans rave about Dark Passion play and how they are "her" songs(Particularly Poet and the Pendulum), but they had that entire album written before she even joined the band. Which is why there is a demo with Marco singing every song on that album.

In the end it does not matter. Tuomas writes everything. I stopped listening to them for a long time until I saw that Floor had joined and then I realized I DID like every song on the 2 Anette albums, i Just hated the pop vocals. Floor made us realize how good those songs could be

I love the Dark Passion Play album. I wish they could re record it with Floor haha.

Deathstardom

No Longer a Noob
Jan 17, 2015

I love the Dark Passion Play album. I wish they could re record it with Floor haha.
They may as well have already. Nightwish production has always been a bit sketchy, which is why they sound better live than Studio.

The only song from that Album Floor has not sung live is Bye bye beautiful and I am pretty sure she said she never will due to the meaning behind that song

ShantmasterK

No Longer a Noob
Mar 17, 2013
Wisconsin

They may as well have already. Nightwish production has always been a bit sketchy, which is why they sound better live than Studio.

The only song from that Album Floor has not sung live is Bye bye beautiful and I am pretty sure she said she never will due to the meaning behind that song

Was there ever a reaction from Tarja about that song?

Deathstardom

No Longer a Noob
Jan 17, 2015

Not the song no, but they tried to block the release of the book "Once upon a nightwish" and then her husband Marcelo tried to sue for defamation and libel.

His case was thrown out as Nightwish was able to provide enough corroborating evidence and emails to show what they wrote was accurate.

In fact, Tarja claims she never has listened to a single thing they wrote after she left.

Marcelo also then wrote a bunch of crap on the internet, claiming Tuomas was in love with Tarja and other ridiculous stuff that nightwish just ignored and has since disappeared from most of the net.

In truth despite the crap they get for parting ways with Tarja and Anette and the victim portrayal they tried to paint of themselves, the video evidence and online evidence always pointed to the truth that Tarja and Anette were huge divas and the band was right to part ways with them.

Tarja basically got David Lee Roth syndrome and began to think she was bigger than the band. She vetoed a lot of tours in the US and abroad because she hated touring extensively in a way a band needs to to get popular and she was content just to do only big shows close to home. She held a press conference claiming she was doing one more album with the band and then nightwish was done(Without asking the other band members). In the End, Tuomas decided why bother doing a final album with her if she just wants out and is threatening to quit every day and making touring impossible? Instead of talking with the band, she blocked them by having husband manager Marcelo just veto everything so she would not have to deal with it, always pressing for more money but refusing to tour properly.

The band unanimously decided to fire her. She was not a team player.

Anette was just a virtual unknown thrust into superstardom. It went to her head very fast and she was extremely paranoid because the fans did not embrace her fast(because she was incapable of doing so many of the original catalog of songs without butchering them). She claims they fired her because she got pregnant and touts that line every time she needs to advertise her new band. But the truth is, they had a lucrative 2 year tour booked and she was just going to miss the end shows so they wanted a fill in singer to complete the tour. Floor came up as a name and Anette admits she vetoed Floor as an option and demanded they could only use a pop singer to replace her. Her worry was the fans would embrace Floor. In the end her concerns were justified, but the band was trying to keep the relationship intact. Its completely normal to have a fill in singer to end legs of a tour. Jason Newsted filling in for Araya from Slayer went over fine and lots of bands do it.

But during the debacle in Denver, with 1000 fans already in the building an hour before the show, Anette suddenly had to leave for the hospital due to vomiting and being sick and instead of cancelling the show, the Camelot girls filled in. Anette went on to post a rage filled blog over not being asked permission if they could fill in for her, blasting the band and saying "If Rhianna was sick, she would not ask Britney spears to fill in for her". lol Anette, you are not Rhianna sorry, you are just a singer in a band you never even wrote songs for(Tuomas writes everything).

She did one more show and the band unanimously agreed they needed to go in another direction.

Last edited:

ShantmasterK

No Longer a Noob
Mar 17, 2013
Wisconsin

Not the song no, but they tried to block the release of the book "Once upon a nightwish" and then her husband Marcelo tried to sue for defamation and libel.

His case was thrown out as Nightwish was able to provide enough corroborating evidence and emails to show what they wrote was accurate.

In fact, Tarja claims she never has listened to a single thing they wrote after she left.

Marcelo also then wrote a bunch of crap on the internet, claiming Tuomas was in love with Tarja and other ridiculous stuff that nightwish just ignored and has since disappeared from most of the net.

In truth despite the crap they get for parting ways with Tarja and Anette and the victim portrayal they tried to paint of themselves, the video evidence and online evidence always pointed to the truth that Tarja and Anette were huge divas and the band was right to part ways with them.

Tarja basically got David Lee Roth syndrome and began to think she was bigger than the band. She vetoed a lot of tours in the US and abroad because she hated touring extensively in a way a band needs to to get popular and she was content just to do only big shows close to home. She held a press conference claiming she was doing one more album with the band and then nightwish was done(Without asking the other band members). In the End, Tuomas decided why bother doing a final album with her if she just wants out and is threatening to quit every day and making touring impossible? Instead of talking with the band, she blocked them by having husband manager Marcelo just veto everything so she would not have to deal with it, always pressing for more money but refusing to tour properly.

The band unanimously decided to fire her. She was not a team player.

Anette was just a virtual unknown thrust into superstardom. It went to her head very fast and she was extremely paranoid because the fans did not embrace her fast(because she was incapable of doing so many of the original catalog of songs without butchering them). She claims they fired her because she got pregnant and touts that line every time she needs to advertise her new band. But the truth is, they had a lucrative 2 year tour booked and she was just going to miss the end shows so they wanted a fill in singer to complete the tour. Floor came up as a name and Anette admits she vetoed Floor as an option and demanded they could only use a pop singer to replace her. Her worry was the fans would embrace Floor. In the end her concerns were justified, but the band was trying to keep the relationship intact. Its completely normal to have a fill in singer to end legs of a tour. Jason Newsted filling in for Araya from Slayer went over fine and lots of bands do it.

But during the debacle in Denver, with 1000 fans already in the building an hour before the show, Anette suddenly had to leave for the hospital due to vomiting and being sick and instead of cancelling the show, the Camelot girls filled in. Anette went on to post a rage filled blog over not being asked permission if they could fill in for her, blasting the band and saying "If Rhianna was sick, she would not ask Britney spears to fill in for her". lol Anette, you are not Rhianna sorry, you are just a singer in a band you never even wrote songs for(Tuomas writes everything).

She did one more show and the band unanimously agreed they needed to go in another direction.

Interesting, thanks for that. I was at one of Annette's last shows with Nightwish in Chicago.

digluu

Noob
Jan 14, 2019
Mostly Thrash ofc (mainly because Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth), but also Progressive Metal (Dream Theater etc.) and any type of Buckethead ;D

TJenx92

Noob
Dec 20, 2019
Been on a Cradle of Filth and Deicide binge lately after not listening to them in over 10 years.

XIO_OIX

Noob
Feb 20, 2020
Not certain as to which one of those subgenres of Metal listed in the heading is my preferred one, as I personally enjoy and appreciate all of them (along with other subgenres not mentioned like Progressive Metal, Neoclassical Metal, Symphonic Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal, Sludge Metal etc. I even like subgenres that some don't consider to be "true" Metal such as Glam Metal and Nu Metal).