FoxRox75

No Longer a Noob
Aug 18, 2010
So, as you can tell by the thread's title, this is a board for listing your favorite 3 Fire Emblem Games and why that is? My personal list:

1. Path of Radiance:
I thought this title had the best characters and plot out of any of the franchise's games. It was bold but it paid off for Nintendo to change the series' graphical style.
2. Awakening:
Ya, we know it just came out, but it's incredibly fun. The gameplay in this game is possibly the series' best yet. The plot is intriguing, and the character lineup is great again. The game has more features and unlockables than any other FE title so far too.
3: Radiant Dawn:
Mostly just put here because I enjoyed the world of PoR so much. Another solid Fire Emblem title, and a must-not-miss Wii game.

What are your favorite 3 Fire Emblem games?

metalheadmax

Sing it, Sam
Feb 26, 2006
I'm thinking as of right now:

1. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Hands down the hardest game of the series, but it's not cheap difficulty. This alone is almost enough to rocket it up to the top spot, but it also was the first big evolution for the series, as the games that came before it had a very different feel, and the games that have come after feel a lot closer to Thracia 776. It also has a lot of fun units to use, and some quirky gameplay elements like fatigue and Warp Staves that encourage some clever play styles.

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening - The game is basically the whole package as far as FE comes. It takes pretty much every previous system in the series, and refines it. It's basically one big fanservice game, and it's probably the best game in the series when it just comes down to the fun aspects. However, even though it has potential to be the hardest game in the series, it's not "fun" hard like T776 is. It's cheap hard.

3. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Just a massive game. By far the most units of any game, some of the biggest maps, the most chapters, and just a ton of different ways to play. And it's probably the second hardest game of the series, which is a plus. However, the gimped support system leaves the new characters completely flat and 1-dimensional, which is pretty unfortunate.

Last edited:

YourVeryOwnGeek

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Jun 11, 2007
1. Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Rules bent. I consider both games to be one package narratively. Path of Radiance brought back what the series really needed after the GBA saga, and that was skills and a more serious tone. I've said this many times before, but I think Path of Radiance is the best presented game in the series. The full-torso character portraits were lively and a bit more relatable than the head-and-shoulders style used in the preceding games and the music is still on my mental list of best soundtracks in gaming. The characters had enough easily-accessible text that you could get a good feel for their character, and there aren't many characters in the game I can say I dislike. The tone was right where it should have been. I could honestly compliment PoR for an hour if you let me. Radiant Dawn was a nearly perfect sequel. Instead of shrinking down all of the old units and giving them a new big bad guy to join up and fight, all of the characters (except Largo) came back naturally, and each one was fighting on a front that made sense instead of being lumped into one big army. The story continued logically until the massive twist that was incredibly wild for the series, but still felt like it had a place in Tellius.

2. Thracia 776. Hard as tits, even on cheater mode. The gameplay seriously trumps the story here, because the story is just a small snapshot of time during part 2 of Genealogy of the Holy War. Varied units and classes and loads of gameplay elements that haven't returned since make it a really unique title. This is the game that makes me look back on the GBA with a bit of scorn once I realized just how much depth was cut out of the series for Sword of Seals.

3. Awakening. It's pretty much Persona 3: The Pseudo-Medieval Fantasy SRPG. Guess who likes the SMT series?
<- that guy does.
The amount of characterization that was packed into Awakening is astounding. Sure, the main story is boring at worst and and convoluted at best, but the character interaction outside the main story makes up for it in spades. I was very leery of Awakening before I played it, almost writing it off as Sacred Stones 3D, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Sure some elements from Sacred Stones were brought back, but so were elements from FE4, FE7, FE9, FE10, and New Mystery of the Emblem. It's the game that IS has been trying to make all along. The fanservice of returning characters and DLC is a good way for Nintendo to take all of my money, but I think it's been long enough for the "hey, look at all this cool old stuff" attitude to feel natural and fun. It's a really well made game, and I'm glad IS has hit it big in the media with Awakening. They deserve it.

Mar 2, 2009
1. Path of Radiance. Just a fantastic game with some of my favorite characters. I've always dug the rogue Myrmidon and Zihark did not disappoint in badassness. Stefan was an added bonus. Boyd, Soren, Rolf, I could go on. Awesome characters. Super fun gameplay too. Didn't get around to getting all the unlockable maps and characters at the end though.

2. Awakening. I'm on like Chapter 10 I think and I'm loving it. Absolutely loving it. I just have this weird condition where I feel incomplete if I don't have all the DLC and whatnot for a game and my school internet is impossible to hook up with a 3DS. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO FAR AWAY, STARBUCKS!?

3. Sacred Stones. I've played this game to the point where I've had multiple playthroughs with every single character at level 20. Even the post-story unlockable ones.

Sunswordred

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 23, 2010
1. Awakening
2. Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn (fluctuates)
3. FE7.

I absolutely love Awakening. I wish there was more connection between the kids and the adults, but over all it was great.

platchat

Hold on, fellas.
Jul 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
1. FE8(Sacred Stones) - Good story and decent level of difficulty. On hard mode, it can get pretty difficult from level 12 to the end, and hard mode basically forces you to level Ross, Amelia, Kyle, Eirika/Ephraim, because you need them to be high level to avoid insane difficulty post level 10 or so. This is my favorite solely on the fact that It's the first one I played and I was able to 'connect' with the characters if you know what I mean. Colm/Ross/Amelia/Gerik were all such like-able characters.

2. FE7(Fire Emblem) - I think this game is probably the most difficult FE game (at times) than all the others not including T 776. Also fun to go through Hector/Lyn/Eliwood storylines.
Also, jesus christ if you hard level Hector he's a beast in Eliwood's story.

3. Awakening - Not done it yet but it's pretty good so far. However I enjoy the classic GBA type FE style more..

Lunar_Elf

The Lunar Elf
Jul 9, 2012
-__-
I'd have to say:
  1. FE7 - Not only was this my first Fire Emblem game, but the characters were very memorable. My favorite game in the series by far.
  2. Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn - Both were excellent(ly difficult [face_mischief]) games and provided quite a challenge. They also contained my favorite SSBB character, Ike.
  3. FE8 - My 2nd FE game ever and another game with excellent story/characters
I've yet to play Awakening though. [face_peace]

Feb 18, 2013
Huh.... Hm.... I guess you guys should jump on the emulator train and play some of the old school ones. They were probably some of the best. I want to play Awakening but I don't have a 3DS... *pouts*

1. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (Geneology of the Holy War; FE4) - A long, harsh, but interesting story to say the least. There is a First generation and Second generation to this game so... there's lots to be had from this game and you must not miss it for sure. I think the difficulty level is quite high seeing as there is always multiple priority missions to be fulfilled throughout the chapter.

2. Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken (The Blazing Sword; FE7) - A nice cast and quite the compelling story. Probably has the a few of the best Lord Class characters in the games (excluding OP Ike)

3. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (FE9) - Well... I found the complex story to be enjoyable since I learned a ton as the game progressed and some rather twisted bits and pieces. This is one of the ones to play.

Last edited:

Cartman513

No Longer a Noob
Aug 4, 2004
Hm... I thought for a long time about where I think Awakening fits into this, but honestly I think the order for me is:

1. Seisen No Keifu
2. Thracia 776
3. Awakening

with FE7 being a very close runner up. Though I never played Radiant Dawn or Shadow Dragon (lol)

CyberGlion

Prime Member
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
1. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones - it was the first one I played and it got me into the series. It's also the easiest but I thought the difficulty was fair
2. Path of Radiance - I'm only about halfway done with it but from I've played I really enjoy it.
3. Fire Emblem 7 - I like having three different stories to choose from, and it's got my favorite group of characters

JaffarsSensai

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 8, 2006
I'm thinking as of right now:

1. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - Hands down the hardest game of the series, but it's not cheap difficulty. This alone is almost enough to rocket it up to the top spot, but it also was the first big evolution for the series, as the games that came before it had a very different feel, and the games that have come after feel a lot closer to Thracia 776. It also has a lot of fun units to use, and some quirky gameplay elements like fatigue and Warp Staves that encourage some clever play styles.

This.

2. Then, I have to admit that I'm still playing through Awakening (just got it 3 days ago), but I'm enjoying it immensely. I'm also just playing it straight through, linear style. No grinding, no extra maps, nada. This might make it even more enjoyable, I don't know. Currently though, it's hard mode is a nice, but manageable challenge. I cannot wait to see what lunatic has to throw at me.

3. Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken - Simply the one I've logged the most hours onto. A friend of mine just started playing it, and I'm scaring myself at how many chapters I've realized I still have memorized, from droppable items to what units spawn where and when. I also love the format. Yes, Radiant Dawn is *technically* the better game, but I love curling up with my GBA and just launching myself into some bizarre gimmick run of FE 7. Also, 100% supports. Good god, the wasted hours I will never get back.

brinzy_boi

Well, I fail.
Jul 7, 2005
1) Awakening.

Let me just say that I've played them all and did so before Awakening was ever released, and I enjoyed most of the series. I was absolutely blown away by Awakening. It might be easier to list what I didn't like about the game:

- the story felt a little weak, and I want to say it was the way it was told. The whole deal with Chrom becoming king, then the fighting out west, then coming back home to tie up loose ends, then dealing with Grima... it was just weird. Although Risen appeared starting in Chapter 1, you don't really get a huge sense that there's a huge bad guy coming. It just felt like a slow string of events. I feel all the drama with Emmeryn could've been cut out, but they needed to make Chrom's important role... more important?

- no Light magic.

That's about it.

2) Genealogy of the Holy War

The big outlier to the series was by far my favorite ever until Awakening dethroned it. The unique pairing system and skillsets the units had is what made me fall in love with the game. The way durability and gearing was handled in this game was absolutely the best. I'd much rather have a few weapons and magic to pass around than what we got in Awakening, which was honestly still a good deal in its own right if you had the right characters with Armsthrift.

Again, probably easier to list what I disliked:

- no way to mitigate Weight on weapons and magic. This led to some squishy characters being unable to ever do anything but clean up if you were trying to do a ranked run, since they just wouldn't dodge if they weren't using wind or at least thunder magic. (Fire magic had a con of like... 12, so it was a guaranteed -12 speed.) It also meant there was a huge disparity in the difficulty of enemy units, in my opinion.

- Pursuit being a skill. For those not familiar, some classes got skills automatically, and then some characters got skills automatically, with only a few skills able to be learned from an item. Pursuit was the skill that enabled double attacking. Classes and characters that relied on speed often had Pursuit to begin with, but not in every situation. This meant that if you were playing a character who wasn't a) a tank, b) a healer, or c) a dancer, they needed pursuit to not be useless.

This was further compounded because you kinda had to make sure all your big hitters had Pursuit 2nd gen or they'd be useless. Well, you didn't have to do this, but it made a huge difference.

- ranking system was pure cheese. What I mean by this is you were only measured by three things - the amount of experience you got, the turn count, and making sure nobody died. This led to cheesing mechanics to abuse staves and stealing. It didn't promote good gameplay, just good cheddar.

3) Radiant Dawn

An absolutely massive storyline. In my opinion, FE9/10 had the best story in the whole series. Probably because instead of working from rags to riches like some of these royalty seem to do, you're not royal to begin with, and you don't end up royal. You're playing different factions fighting for their own cause, and they come together at the end and fight under a united team to take down the bad guy. Sounds kinda like Awakening, only the story itself took place under a much shorter time period in Radiant Dawn, unless you count three years with Path of Radiance. Thanks to this, it gives the story much more breadth and a much more dynamic feeling.

Another small thing I loved was how capping stats in Path of Radiance transferred into bonuses in Radiant Dawn. That was a nice benefit and I remember spending a fall break in college doing a rerun like four years ago.

Some of the things that bumped it down to #3 for me have been stated already. Mechanically, the support system is amazing. You only support one person, but you can support anyone you want, so you just pair off units who are often close to each other and reap the rewards. It was part of the reason why so many units were so strong or useful - Earth affinity gave the most Avoid, which was the best you could get from supports IMO, and the right units had this and could turn other units into monsters.

However, there was no development on many characters outside of 1-2 chapters, which was bad since this included the newcomers. I can understand the returning units not getting much story, because you can read on their story in Path of Radiance, but not the new ones.

Another thing that hurt the game somewhat was laguz mechanics. In a game where one of the biggest issues the world faced was racial discrimination, you'd think the laguz would be more or less comparable to beorc. In Path of Radiance, they were atrocious. In Radiant Dawn, the difference isn't as stark, but they still couldn't sit in transformation forever, and they all had elemental weaknesses to reflect equality compared to things like armorslayers for beorc. Oh, but ravens/hawks were still weak to bows, cats were still weak to beastslayers, and dragons were weak to wyrmslayers.

Because of the way laguz were implemented, I avoided using them, and although it's just some video game, it kinda makes you wonder when you discrimination in the ultimate "end discrimination" game of the series. All they had to do was do what they do in Awakening or with manaketes in most other games, and give them both permanent transformation and items to boost their stats personally.

Finally, I really, really disliked the way some units got shafted. The unholy trio o horrific units, which may be argued but I'm sticking by, are Fiona, Meg, and Astrid.

Astrid had Paragon for double xp, but you could still take it from her, so she's probably the lesser of the three evils despite being absolutely worthless if you don't grind her in Part 2. No really, she's useless if you don't. She hits mages for single digit damage later if you don't train her. It's a shame too because she was in Path of Radiance and should've grown more than she did.

Meg is stuck in an immobile melee class designed to take hits, but she doesn't have the stats for it and is introduced in a chapter where cats can double attack her and tigers can one hit her. The chapter after, everyone has more mobility than her and she can get picked off by mages. It just gets progressively worse for her.

Fiona is probably the biggest offender, though. Not sure if you guys recall, but you can't use some units on some maps effectively or at all. Horsemen can't be used in swamps, and they can't climb ledges, right? Well, after you get Fiona, you get sent to a prison chapter where she's at a huge disadvantage with the ledges and her crappy stats, then you do a swamp chapter where you can't even select her, then the Micaiah only chapter, then the final part full of ledges and narrow corridors that she's not gonna use because you have the Black Knight and tons of other strong units at this point.

The next time you get her? You're fighting in that Fog of War river with the laguz that give her the Meg treatment. Meg is hard to salvage but it is possible. Fiona just simply isn't.

You might go, "Well Brinz, other units suck in other games!" This is true, but they aren't arbitrarily screwed in a two-part game. Remember Tormod and friends? They enter the prison chapter in part 1 and are pretty damn strong. Then you don't see any of them until part 4, where they're all horribly useless. Tormod got screwed the most of any returning unit. It's funny because one of his competitors in FE9, Ilyana, had THE most screen time of any character in 10, more than an actual main character. It actually kinda made me sad. I

once made a file where I saved all my bonus xp and boosts and boosted him endgame just to use him, and it was fun... but now that I think about it, Tormod's relationship with Muarim and Vika was very symbolic and could've meant more in that game, but they made an excuse so he wouldn't get caught in the center of it. Really sad.

Anyway... while it probably doesn't mean much in the game, to me it did hurt the game big time. Strong stats just carry you through the game (LOL HAAR), but they don't define the game. Still, Radiant Dawn's an awesome game.

... This got much longer than I expected.

JRTheEnigma

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2013
3. Awakening. It's pretty much Persona 3: The Pseudo-Medieval Fantasy SRPG. Guess who likes the SMT series?
<- that guy does.
The amount of characterization that was packed into Awakening is astounding. Sure, the main story is boring at worst and and convoluted at best, but the character interaction outside the main story makes up for it in spades. I was very leery of Awakening before I played it, almost writing it off as Sacred Stones 3D, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Sure some elements from Sacred Stones were brought back, but so were elements from FE4, FE7, FE9, FE10, and New Mystery of the Emblem. It's the game that IS has been trying to make all along. The fanservice of returning characters and DLC is a good way for Nintendo to take all of my money, but I think it's been long enough for the "hey, look at all this cool old stuff" attitude to feel natural and fun. It's a really well made game, and I'm glad IS has hit it big in the media with Awakening. They deserve it.
Awakening like Persona 3? I don't see it. Especially since most of the characters in Awakening act more like caricatures instead of real people with real, relatable issues like Persona 3.

YourVeryOwnGeek

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Jun 11, 2007
Awakening like Persona 3? I don't see it. Especially since most of the characters in Awakening act more like caricatures instead of real people with real, relatable issues like Persona 3.
Note the date that was posted. It wasn't even a week after Awakening was released, and I was still forming my opinion on it. Nowadays I would put Awakening on my three least favorite Fire Emblems since the honeymoon phase has been over for almost two years and I realize the flaws.

JRTheEnigma

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 12, 2013
Note the date that was posted. It wasn't even a week after Awakening was released, and I was still forming my opinion on it. Nowadays I would put Awakening on my three least favorite Fire Emblems since the honeymoon phase has been over for almost two years and I realize the flaws.
Ah. Yeah, it's flawed. Although I still think it's an enjoyable game. I've only played three FE games and Awakening feels the least tactically inclined despite the addition of skills. Maps lack any meaningful variety and there's no enemy units that make you really think outside of the box. And the supports could definitely use some work although I feel my problems with the characters was due to the sheer amount of supports Intelligent Systems wrote. I'd take fewer well-written supports over an abundance of simple supports with unnatural progression.

YourVeryOwnGeek

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Jun 11, 2007
Ah. Yeah, it's flawed. Although I still think it's an enjoyable game. I've only played three FE games and Awakening feels the least tactically inclined despite the addition of skills. Maps lack any meaningful variety and there's no enemy units that make you really think outside of the box. And the supports could definitely use some work although I feel my problems with the characters was due to the sheer amount of supports Intelligent Systems wrote. I'd take fewer well-written supports over an abundance of simple supports with unnatural progression.
My main problem is that IS had to build the game around being a DLC platform. For that they needed to gimp the progression system and add a postgame, but they also needed to make DLC attractive to people in the middle of the campaign since the attachment rate would plummet if the DLC was postgame only. To me this paints the difficulty spikes and skirmish grinding as a decision made for monetization and not gameplay. The skill system is a hollow shell of what it was in previous games, being a gotta catch em all grindfest where instead of spending a rare item on a unit (or having units that come with powerful skills already), you level units the exact same way a bunch of times to get skills that range from useless to game breaking. I would much rather manage a finite number of skill scrolls like in Radiant Dawn than play Fire Emblem meets Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Minor Upgrades Edition.

As for the supports, it really comes down to the fact that Awakening's setting is about as interesting as watching grass grow. The single quirk characters had a single quirk out of necessity. There was no meaningful way to connect most of these guys to the already terrible plot. So instead of characters acting like people, they act like parodies of themselves. The Chrom/Sumia support was lemon stealing whores levels of self aware. That would be fine and all, but it's kind of difficult to appreciate no one taking things seriously when the rest of the series is about people being swept up in wars. They wanted to have a serious plot, but they also wanted to make jokes and parody the series at the same time, and they expected one to gel with the other and it didn't.

sthbdis

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 5, 2007
Hmmmm.
1. I would like to say Radiant Dawn but I really can't stand the lack of unique supports so it really bothers me. So this spot probably goes to Genealogy of the Holy War.
2. Probably like PoR and Radiant Dawn would be tied here.
3. Probably FE:7 or Thracia 776
I'd like Awakening to be on this list, and it is a ton of fun. I really like the min maxing and skill distributions and how much thought you can put into it, but everything else, especially the story line and a lot of the supports felt a little too contrived. I like the idea of a ton of supports especially in reaction to RD. But a lot of them were pretty poor quality. So quality over quantity I say. Anyway this is really old. Sorry!