Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
So I teach 3rd grade and at both the schools I've worked at we have them in backpacks with in theory pretty strong consequences for having them out but it's actually not that big of an issue. Last year I had a real problem with technically clever kids beating their heads against my Chromebook filters in genuinely clever ways.

Like this student who figured out that if she made a Google Slides presentation and shared it with her classmates they could use it as a chatroom and it wouldn't be blocked. It's just all non-sense all the way down. I was absolutely fighting this shit all last year.
Image 5-15-24 at 10.08 AM.jpg

However people who teach high school tell me phones and wireless earbuds really are an epidemic when you have kids who don't want to be in school they use them all the time. The amount that wireless earbuds are annoying is kind of surreal.

Andyster

No Longer a Noob
Oct 12, 2014
I’m not really that optimistic about the success rates of these phone bans. Or like take the general level of disorder at your school then realize that phone use is something that a lot of people just see as a total god given right and so it will be a lot more common than say fighting or vaping and so multiply it times 5 or 10 and you will get how well this is likely to be enforced.

It’s not like we have a lot of strict disciplinary measures that we can enforce against non-compliance. Schools that have high levels of order will continue to do so and the phones will be put away by one manner or another. Schools that have high levels of disorder won’t get a shortcut here by state law.