Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyJ1098

Star
Nov 12, 2002
I'm going to be honest. Americana by The Offspring. I heard it and I wanted to buy all of their albums. I saw the label on a couple of them and proceeded to buy more albums off of that label.

brnbasler

No Longer a Noob
Oct 16, 2006
The first punk album I ever heard was probably either Dookie by Green Day or Smash by the Offspring. However, it was I heard They Suck live by NOFX that made me love punk. I also listened to Punk a Rama 2 a lot.

yoscar

NERD!
Oct 24, 2004
When I was growing up my older brothers were big into grunge and alternative rock and whatnot, and listened to Nirvana, Violent Femmes and Pixies. I actually didn't like them much 'cept for Violent Femmes. About 4-5 years ago, a friend who was a huge fan of AFI told me about "a kickass punk band called Minor Threat," and upon downloading a song, Screaming At a Wall, I fell in love.

EDIT: Crap, that doesn't answer the question. Complete Discography by Minor Threat.

Faromir

Noob
Dec 2, 2002
the first album that really made me love punk was Rudimentary Peni-EPs of RP.
Media Person was the fastest thing I had ever heard. I remember sitting around with my friends completely amazed by it, listening to the album over and over.

TheJone

Noob
Sep 26, 2001
I think 'Dookie' and 'Smash' were probably my first two, as well... ****, that was a long time ago.

I didn't really start checking out the genre itself until '...And Out Come the Wolves' (I didn't considere myself as listening to punk with Green Day or the Offspring, and I'm sure it's debatable even in hindsight), and then got into the usual Rancid/NOFX/Op Ivy stuff from there.

I can't believe I purchased four Pennywise CDs. I still can't tell any of them apart.

brnbasler

No Longer a Noob
Oct 16, 2006
yoscar said:
When I was growing up my older brothers were big into grunge and alternative rock and whatnot, and listened to Nirvana, Violent Femmes and Pixies. I actually didn't like them much 'cept for Violent Femmes. About 4-5 years ago, a friend who was a huge fan of AFI told me about "a kickass punk band called Minor Threat," and upon downloading a song, Screaming At a Wall, I fell in love.

EDIT: Crap, that doesn't answer the question. Complete Discography by Minor Threat.

That is awesome! Screaming at a wall is the song that got me into Minor Threat. Seeing Red is probably my favorite song.

C.lemons

No Longer a Noob
Apr 2, 2007
Portland, OR
yoscar said:

Best CD I ever bought

kamui42

Noob
Nov 30, 2004
KrazyJ1098 said:
I'm going to be honest. Americana by The Offspring. I heard it and I wanted to buy all of their albums. I saw the label on a couple of them and proceeded to buy more albums off of that label.

I'll agree with this, and I then moved to AFI's "The Art of Drowning"

BasNoBua

Noob
Oct 10, 2005
DK - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death
Ignite - Past Our Means
BR - All Ages

I think it was one of those, at any rate it was some time in '96. Before that it was mostly alt-rock and grunge for me.

Feb 22, 2003
Operation Ivy -- Energy
Minor Threat -- Complete Discog
Gorilla Biscuits -- Start Today
Bad Religion -- No Control/How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
Descendents -- Milo Goes to College

come to mind.

Aug 16, 2004
lalalasmiley said:
Operation Ivy -- Energy
Minor Threat -- Complete Discog
Gorilla Biscuits -- Start Today
Bad Religion -- No Control/How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
Descendents -- Milo Goes to College

come to mind.

Gooood album. I haven't heard anyone else mention GB on here, I love 'em.

xBLACKOWLx

Noob
Dec 16, 2009
DrMeatcurtain said:
Definitely Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today.

Definately agree, then i swiftly moved onto Damaged by black flag, then found all that scene. Mainly listen to and play hardcore, but my roots will always be 3 chord punk.

Shock_Troop

Osama Bong Loadin
Nov 25, 2000
idk i guess back in high school the first punk record i really liked was operation ivy "energy"

the one that got me back into punk (well, garage punk) was oblivians "popular favorites"

TheJone

Noob
Sep 26, 2001
What sort of circles do you have to run in for your first exposure to punk music to be ****ing Crass?

I'm somewhat tempted to disbelieve all of you.

Ranger_Chick

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 13, 2004
enema of the state

after that i got into nofx, bad religion, rancid and the ramones and from there anything i could/can get my hands on

yoscar

NERD!
Oct 24, 2004
TheJone said:
What sort of circles do you have to run in for your first exposure to punk music to be ****ing Crass?

I'm somewhat tempted to disbelieve all of you.
Poseurs. No joke. Kids in my town are pretentious pricks. :(

gadshanks

Noob
Feb 4, 2010
I got Collection II by the Misfits when I was about 12 and it blew my mind. Still remains one of my favourite punk albums of all time.

Aug 16, 2004
Growing up I always thought punk stuff was cool. My older sister has been into punk music since she was a teen, so when I accidentally put her music onto my MP3 player 3 and a half years ago I got some sweet stuff like Dropkick Murphys and Bouncing Souls.

However, looking back, I suppose I first began listening to a "punk" band regularly when I bought American Idiot in grade 7.

Tzzer

Noob
Mar 29, 2009
[blockquote]Ranger_Chick posted:
enema of the state

after that i got into nofx, bad religion, rancid and the ramones and from there anything i could/can get my hands on
[/blockquote]
growing up my dad always taught me not to class american punk as punk, as it lacked the spirit of genuine discontent that british punk in the 70's had. in this, i urge you to listen to The Stranglers, Sex Pistols, The Clash and the irish band Stiff Little Fingers.

Shock_Troop

Osama Bong Loadin
Nov 25, 2000
malcolm mclaren formed the sex pistols to help him sell t-shirts, PAF right there

anyway, the term "punk" i feel is truly vague. is it a certain sound of music or is it an ethos of music creation?

i mainly listen to garage punk because those bands embody both the DIY ideal and the typical sound of "punk" music

but i prefer to think of "punk" as being a methodology rather than a genre. a kid recording some aggressive tunes in his bedroom on a pawned 4-track is more punk to me than some hair-punk band like the casualties.... when it takes longer for you to do your mohawk than the average length of your band's songs, you are not punk

C.lemons

No Longer a Noob
Apr 2, 2007
Portland, OR
Shock_Troop said:
malcolm mclaren formed the sex pistols to help him sell t-shirts, PAF right there

anyway, the term "punk" i feel is truly vague. is it a certain sound of music or is it an ethos of music creation?

i mainly listen to garage punk because those bands embody both the DIY ideal and the typical sound of "punk" music

but i prefer to think of "punk" as being a methodology rather than a genre. a kid recording some aggressive tunes in his bedroom on a pawned 4-track is more punk to me than some hair-punk band like the casualties.... when it takes longer for you to do your mohawk than the average length of your band's songs, you are not punk
Garage is so great, what do you listen to?

Tzzer

Noob
Mar 29, 2009
[blockquote]when it takes longer for you to do your mohawk than the average length of your band's songs, you are not punk

[/blockquote]
i love you [face_hugs] 

Don-Mullet

Prime Member
Jul 16, 2003
Las Vegas
[blockquote]Tzzer posted:
[blockquote]Ranger_Chick posted:
enema of the state

[/blockquote]
growing up my dad always taught me not to class american punk as punk, as it lacked the spirit of genuine discontent that british punk in the 70's had. in this, i urge you to listen to The Stranglers, Sex Pistols, The Clash and the irish band Stiff Little Fingers.
[/blockquote]
What about the influence that the Ramones had on both the Sex Pistols and the Clash?

conatonc

Winter is Coming
Oct 16, 2001
For me it was The Descendents- Liveage! back in '92 or so, which one of my best friends sold me on after another one of his friends turned him on to it. To this day it's still my favorite live album of all-time.

ebubbajoewhupass

Business is a booming
Jun 4, 2001
Punk rock isn't exclusive to any culture. If your dad grew up exclusively on limey punk in the 80's it only means that he wasn't aware or decided to ignore all the other sects of punk that were growing. Its almost unbelievably ignorant to enjoy early punk and to ignore the Ramones.

The Casualties garnered fans because of their music and their attitude. I understand why people don't like the Casualties, but to be so pious as to dismiss them because you don't like the band or their fans is stupid.

The Casualties are ... the Casualties. They don't knock down the door of anybody who is listening to whatever band you approve of and force them to listen to the Casualties.

They are the essence of their brand of punk rock. You might not like that brand, You might hate that they steal customers from your brand, but you only hate them because you wish they wouldn't be able to get people to listen to them.

N

Shock_Troop

Osama Bong Loadin
Nov 25, 2000
C.lemons said:
Shock_Troop said:

Garage is so great, what do you listen to?

oh man, too many to name and i dont wanna start the namedrop waterfall

my all-time faves have gotta be oblivians, the reatards, the spits, the mummies, the gories, cheater slicks... etc etc

and i didnt mean to start a whole argument on what is or is not punk.... so i'll just say this:

[image=http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2dpf95ctW1qa1iiqo1_500.jpg]

yoscar

NERD!
Oct 24, 2004
Tzzer said:
Just to close the argument, was your dad aware of hardcore punk?

BasNoBua

Noob
Oct 10, 2005
yoscar said:
Tzzer said:
Just to close the argument, was your dad aware of hardcore punk?

its only covers the lower east side, but Jeff Lewis has plenty to say about proto-punk and its genesis.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QLxLHQW_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QLxLHQW_M [/link]

Status
Not open for further replies.