Baseball Reference
Baseball Prospectus
Baseball America
Hardball Times
Baseball Think Factory
Fan Graphs
Cot's Baseball Contracts

A Little Yankees History

January 9, 1903 - Frank Farrell and Bill Devery purchased the defunct Baltimore franchise of the American League for $18,000 and then moved the team to Manhattan.
March 12, 1903 - The New York franchise is approved by the American League. The team's new home is at 168th Street and Broadway. The park was named Hilltop Park, and the team was named the New York Highlanders.
April 22, 1903 - The Highlander's play their first game and lose, 3-1 to Washington.
April 23, 1903 - The New York Highlanders win their first game, a 7-2 win over Washington. Harry Howell was the winning pitcher.
April 30, 1903 - Highlanders win first home game at Hilltop Park. A 6-2 victory over Washington.
April 11, 1912 - Pinstripes first appear on Highlanders' uniforms.
April, 1913 - The Highlanders are officially renamed the "Yankees" and move to the Polo Grounds to play their home games.
January 11, 1915 - Col. Jacob Ruppert and Col. Tillinghast L' Hommedieu Huston purchase the Yankees for $460,000.
April 24, 1917 - George Mogridge becomes the first Yankee to throw a no-hitter. George beat the Red Sox at Fenway Park, 2-1.
January 3, 1920 - The Yankees purchase the contract of Babe Ruth from the Boston Red Sox for $125,00 and a $350,000 loan against the mortgage on Fenway Park.
September, 1921 - The Yankees clinch their first American League Pennant.
May 5, 1922 - Construction begins on Yankee Stadium
May 21, 1922 -Col. Ruppert buys out Col. Huston for $1,500,000.
April 18, 1923 - Yankee Stadium opens as the Yanks beat the Red Sox 4-1. Babe Ruth hit the first Yankee Stadium homerun in front of a reported 74,200 fans.
October 15, 1923 - The Yankees win their first World Series as they defeat the New York Giants.
June 1, 1925 - Lou Gehrig's 2,130 consecutive games played streak begins.
September 30, 1927 -Babe Ruth breaks his own home run record as he hits his 60th homer on the final day of the season.
April 16, 1929 - The Yankees become the first team to make numbers a permanent part of the uniform.
September 25, 1929 - Manager Miller Huggins, who guided the Yankees to their first six American League pennants and three World Championships, dies of blood poisoning.
June 3, 1932 - Lou Gehrig becomes the first player to hit four home runs in a single game. Yankees win the contest 20-13 at Philadelphia.
July 14, 1934 - Babe Ruth hits the 700th home run of his career. The "Bambino" hit it off Tommy Bridges in a 4-2 Yankee win over Detroit. The game was played at Navin Field, in Detroit.
November 21, 1934 - The Yankees purchase Joe DiMaggio from the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League. The cost was $50,000.
April 20, 1937 - The Yankees 15th season at Yankee Stadium opens with the right-field stands enlarged to three decks. The wooden bleachers are replaced by a concrete structure with the distance to center field dropping from 490 to 461 feet.
May 30, 1938 - A franchise-record crowd of 81,841 attend a Yankee doubleheader sweep of the Boston Red Sox.
May 2, 1939 - Lou Gehrig's playing streak of 2,130 consecutive games ends when he does no make an appearance in a 22-2 Yankees' win at Detroit. Babe Dahlgren took over for Gehrig and hit a double and homer in the game.
July 4, 1939 - "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day" is held at Yankee Stadium. His uniform number "4" is the first major league and Yankee baseball number to be retired.
May 15, 1941 - Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak begins with a single off Edgar Smith in a 13-1 loss vs. Chicago at Yankee Stadium.
June 2, 1941 - Lou Gehrig dies of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. He was only 37.
July 17, 1941 - Joe DiMaggio's consecutive -game hitting streak ends at 56. Joe went 0-3 against the Cleveland Indians in Cleveland. DiMaggio was robbed twice in that game by third baseman, Ken Keltner.
January 25, 1945 - Dan Topping, Del Webb and Larry MacPhail purchase the Yankees for $2,800,000 from the estate of the late Col. Jacob Ruppert.
May 28, 1946 - The first night game is played at Yankee Stadium. Yanks lose to Washington 2-1 in front of 49,917 fans.
June 13, 1948 - Babe Ruth's uniform number (3) is retired. This was the 25th Anniversary of Yankee Stadium, and it was the last appearance of Ruth at the Stadium.
August 16, 1948 - Babe Ruth dies of throat cancer. He was 53.
October 12, 1948 - Casey Stengel is named new Yankee manager. He replaced Bucky Harris.
April 17, 1951 - Mickey Mantle makes his Major League debut at Yankee Stadium. Mantle goes 1-for-4 in the game.
September 28, 1951 - Allie Reynolds throws his second no-hitter of the season. Earlier in the year he pitched a no-hitter in Cleveland; and his second was against the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium.
December 12, 1951 - Joe DiMaggio retires.
April 17, 1953 - Mickey Mantle hits a 565-foot homer at Washington's Griffith Stadium. The pitcher was Chuck Stobbs.
October 5, 1953 - The New York Yankees win their fifth consecutive World Championship.
October 8, 1956 - Don Larsen pitches the only perfect game in World Series history. The Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers at Yankee Stadium, 2-0.
October 1, 1961 - Roger Maris hits his 61st home run against Boston's Tracy Stallard, in the Yankees last game of the regular season.
November 2, 1964 - CBS purchases 80% of the Yankees for $11,200,000.
June 8, 1969 - "Mickey Mantle Day" at Yankee Stadium. Mickey's uniform (#7) was retired.
January 3, 1973 - A group led by Mr. George M. Steinbrenner III buys the Yankees from CBS. For $10 Million.
April 6, 1974 - Yankees begin the first of two seasons at Shea Stadium as Yankee Stadium undergoes renovations.
December 31, 1974 - The Yankees sign Jim "Catfish" Hunter to a five-year contract.
August 1, 1975 - Billy Martin becomes Yankee manager. He replaced Bill Virdon.
April 15, 1976 - Remodeled Yankee Stadium opens. The Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins 11-4. Rudy May throw the first pitch in the "new" Stadium, and the Twins' Dan Ford hit the first homer.
October 14, 1976 - Chris Chambliss' ninth-inning homer off Mark Littell in Game 5 of the ALCS wins the pennant for the Yankees. It was the Yankees 30th American League Pennant and first since 1964.
November 29, 1976 - Yankees sign Reggie Jackson to a five-year contract.
October 18, 1977 - Reggie Jackson hits three home runs in Game 6 of the World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Yankee Stadium. Yankees win first world championship since 1962.
June 17, 1978 - Ron Guidry strikes out 18 California batters at Yankee Stadium to established a franchise record. Yankees win game, 4-0.
July 24, 1978 - Billy Martin resigns as manager and is replace by Bob Lemon.
July 29, 1978 - On Old Timer's Day, the Yankees announce that Billy Martin will return to manage the Yankee in 1980.
October 2, 1978 - The Yankees, who were 14 games behind the Boston Red Sox at one point during the season, defeat the Sox 5-4 in a one game playoff at Fenway Park. Bucky Dent hit a dramatic homer in the seventh for the Yankees which gave them the lead.
June 18, 1979 - Billy Martin replaces Bob Lemon as Yankee manager.
August 2, 1979 - Yankee Captain, Thurman Munson, dies in a plane crash in Canton, Ohio. Munson was 32. The Yankees retired his number (15) immediately.
December 15, 1980 - Yankees sign Dave Winfield to a 10-year contract.
July 4, 1983 - Dave Righetti pitches a no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. It was the sixth regular season no-hitter in franchise history and first since 1951. The Yankees beat the Sox, 4-0.
December 14, 1985 - Roger Maris dies at the age of 51.
July 18, 1987 - Don Mattingly homers off Texas' Jose Guzman to tie Dale Long's Major League record of hitting a home run in eight consecutive games.
September 29, 1987 - Don Mattingly hits a grand slam off Boston's Bruce Hurst, setting a Major League record with six grand slams in a season.
December 25, 1989 - Billy Martin dies in an automobile accident . Martin was 61.
August 14, 1993 - "Reggie Jackson Day" at Yankee Stadium. Reggie's uniform number (44) is retired.
September 4, 1993 - Jim Abbott pitches a 4-0 no-hitter over the Cleveland Indians at Yankee Stadium.
August 13, 1995 - Mickey Mantle dies of cancer at the age of 63.
May 14, 1996 - Doc Gooden throws a no-hitter against the Seattle Mariners at Yankee Stadium. Yankees win game, 2-0.
June 16, 1996 - Mel Allen, the "Voice of the Yankees" dies at the age of 83.
August 25, 1996 - Yankees unveil a monument in honor of Mickey Mantle.
January 22, 1997 - Don Mattingly retires.
May 17, 1998 - David Wells throws a perfect game against the Minnesota Twins at Yankee Stadium. It was the 14th regular season perfect game in major league history.
October 21, 1998 -The Yankees complete an incredible season with a four-game sweep over the San Diego Padres in the world series. The Yankees captured their 24th World Championship and ended up with a record of 125-50.
March 8, 1999 - Joe DiMaggio dies at the age of 84.
April 25, 1999 - A monument in honor of Joe DiMaggio is unveiled at Yankee Stadium.
July 18, 1999 - David Cone throws a perfect game against the Montreal Expos. It was the 15th regular season perfect game. Cone did it on "Yogi Berra Day". Don Larsen (who pitched a perfect game in the world series) throw out the first ball.
September 9, 1999 - Jim "Catfish" Hunter dies at the age of 53.
October 27, 1999 - The Yankees play Baseball's last game of the century and complete a four-game sweep of the Atlanta Braves in the world series. For the Yankees, it was their 25th World Championship.
October 26, 2000 - The Yankees win their third consecutive World Championship with a five-game triumph over the New York Mets in the first "Subway Series" since 1956. It was the Yankees 26th World Championship.
October 22, 2001 - The New York Yankees win their record 38th American League Pennant and fourth in a row.
November 1, 2001 - In Game 5 of the World Series against Arizona at Yankee Stadium, Alfonso Soriano's game-winning, 10th inning single gives the Yankees their second come-from-behind win. With game-tying two-run homers by Tino Martinez(Game 4) and Scott Brosius (Game 5), the Yankees became the first team in World Series history to win two games in the same series when trailing by at least two runs in the ninth inning.
October 21, 2004 - Yankees choke and loses the ALCS to the Red Sox who makes a historic comeback by becoming the first baseball team to force a Game 7 after being down 3-0 and to win the series after being down 3-0. Truly the saddest day for this organization.
September 27, 2005 - Alex Rodriguez hits his 47th home run against Baltimore on Tuesday, breaking Joe DiMaggio’s single-season club record for home runs by a right-handed batter, set in 1937.
September 21st, 2008 - The last game at Yankee Stadium. A 7-3 win over the O's. Jose Molina hits the last HR, and Jeter closes out the night with a nice speech to the fans followed by a team lap around the field.
April 16th, 2009 - The first game in the New Yankee Stadium is a 10-2 to Cliff Lee and the Indians. Posada hits the first home run in the new park. We would have our revenge against Lee in the end.
September 12th, 2009- Derek Jeter singles to right for his 2,722nd hit as a Yankee passing Lou Gehrig as the all time Yankee hit leader.
November 4th, 2009 - The Yankees win Game 6 of the World Series at home to cap off their 27th World Championship in their first year at the New Yankee Stadium. Matsui ties a World Series record with 6 RBI and wins the World Series MVP.
July 9th, 2011 - Derek Jeter becomes the 28th player with 3,000 hits and only the 2nd player to reach the milestone with a HR.
September 19th, 2011 - Mariano Rivera became the all time Saves leader with his 602nd career save.
September 28th, 2011 - In perhaps the greatest last day of the season in sports history, the Tampa Bay Rays advanced to the post season with a walk-off 8-7 12th inning victory against the Yankees. Coupled with a Red Sox blown save loss in the 9th against the Orioles 3 minutes earlier, that capped the Red Sox blowing the biggest September playoff lead in MLB history. On the same night the Atlanta Braves also blew the 2nd biggest September playoff lead in MLB history.
October 6th, 2011 - With a 3-2 game 5 loss to the Tigers, the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs 3 games to 2. This is Jorge Posada's last game as a Yankee.

This format is copied from ZeroShiki1985 with suggestions from stryder.

Let's go Yankees!

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
So Cano is looking for Pujols money. If so, this is probably his last season in pinstripes.

PS - if anyone wants to write any highlights, or a season recap for 2012 I'll edit it in but I can't think of anything noteworthy other than Mo's injury that happened.

ThunderFist17

No Longer a Noob
Nov 16, 2011
Harlem
Like I said in the other thread let Swisher and Granderson walk and do anything to trade A-Rod and let Martin go.

getcarter2517

Almost Not a Noob
May 3, 2009
Like I said in the other thread let Swisher and Granderson walk and do anything to trade A-Rod and let Martin go.

I don't believe the Yankees are willing to eat 90+ Million dollars, which is what it will take to move A-Rod. He's here for the next 5 years. They can't get out of that deal.

For all their contracts, I think the only long term deals they are locked into now are A-Rod, CC, and Teixeira. They have the chance to rebuild the base of the team in the next 3 seasons. I hope they learn from their mistakes.

Speaking of which, I don't think Cano gets anything longer than 5 years and 80 mil from NY. 2010 - 2014 Cano will probably be the best he's ever gonna be. You'd be giving up 1 prime year of Cano for 5+ decline years. I believe Hal is smart enough to figure that out. Not to say that they may not re-sign him, but no way is Cashman gonna overpay for him.

Swisher will probably be gone and they got as much out of him as they could for what they traded for him and how much he got paid.

Granderson will walk after next season and that would be the right move also. 15 million for 40+ HR and a .320 wOBA is a decent trade off for one year, not 4 or more.

I would bring Ichiro back for one year to fill Swisher's hole in RF, but I doubt he'll sign for only one year somewhere.

Soriano will do the Yankees a gigantic favor by opting out. He was as good as anyone could have asked for this season, but 15 mil for a relief pitcher is insanity.

Tex has to lose his pull-happy tendencies or else his contract will REALLY start to look horrendous.

Pineda is pretty much a write off at this point. Pitchers who've comeback from labrum surgery can be counted on one hand. If they get anything from him next season it will be a surprise.

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
I'm sure they'll pick up Cano's option this year, and depending on his production I can see them overpaying to keep him after that. He'll become a FA, but Yankees would probably make a good effort to sign, overpaying hopefully not both in dollars and years. I can see them offering Kuroda another 2 years, maybe 3rd with buyout option. They'll probably try to get Ibanez for another year. I agree with another year offered to Ichiro, though I can see them potentially offering a second, especially considering he will bring in the money anyway from his huge Japanese following.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
I think that unless Cano has a really down year, they're going to re-sign him and deal with the rest of the roster (as far as money goes) afterwards. He's the only player on the team who you can really rely on to still be really good whenever they establish a new core of players. I don't think they're ready to throw that away.

As far as the rest of the team goes, I don't think that drastic changes are needed if the plan is to compete in 2013 (and I believe it is, obviously).

I'm not ready to give up on a team that was 2nd in the majors in runs, 1st in slugging, and 1st in wRC+, while not getting full seasons out of A-Rod, Gardner, and Tex. Jeter coming off surgery is obviously worrisome, as is A-Rod's age and Tex's continued decline, but I still don't think that this team is dropping from arguably the best offense in the sport to an incompetent one.

I wouldn't mind seeing some changes (I doubt Swisher is back, but we'll see), but like I said, I don't think anything crazy needs to happen.

As far as the rotation goes, I think they're more than fine there if they bring Kuroda back and Andy decides to pitch again. That 1-2-3 is deadly and then you still have Pineda's upside. There are also plenty of 4th/5th starter-types on the team to fill out the back-end of the rotation.

Having said all of that, I'd obviously deal A-Rod in a heartbeat if it becomes possible (and no, this isn't because I think that he's done, but more because of his contract and the fact that it frees up other things, and would make re-signing Cano easier).

Last edited:

MultiFan634

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 20, 2012
Washington, DC
I hope they trade A-Rod. They can get rid of Swisher, sure, but if they get rid of him, Grandy, and Cano, I'm going be REALLY angry. They're my favorite players on the team.
I don't think I've ever heard of a single player that can break apart an entire team like this. He's so overpaid, the Yankees can barely keep their star players.

rocknrollsisyphus

We all go a little mod sometimes.
★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
A rough outline of my ideal and mostly realistic off-season:
  1. Re-sign Russell Martin to a two year deal;
  2. Sign one (or two, for a platoon) of the following to replace Nick Swisher - Melky Cabrera, Angel Pagan, Torii Hunter, Jonny Gomes, Grady Sizemore, Ichiro Suzuki;
  3. Addendum to 2 - re-sign Swisher if he is willing to take a deal along the lines of Jason Kubel or Josh Willingham (though, a bit more would be acceptable);
  4. Explore dealing Alex Rodriguez, but do not do so in a straight salary dump;
  5. Explore dealing Curtis Granderson, but only for a strong return;
  6. Re-sign Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda;
  7. Look into signing one of the following starting pitchers (regardless of the status of Pettitte and Kuroda) - Anibal Sanchez, Dan Haren, Colby Lewis, Jake Peavy.
This is off of the top of my head, and very subject to change as we learn who is available (both through FA and trades), and for what. However, I think it makes for some fun talking points at this early point in the team's off-season.

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
I don't see trading A-Rod as a viable option. Teams don't just do what the dodgers did for the Sox this year to the Yankees.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
So Mo is thinking of retiring. Honestly, it’s probably for the best. This is a cash strapped team looking to cut costs and maintain guys like Cano. The best place to trim payroll on this team is in the bullpen. So in addition to Soriano opting out I think there are a LOT of more effective ways to spend $25M-$30M than on two relievers.

I’d still love to have Mo back, especially since he probably won’t factor into $189 at all, but it has to be for a realistic price. He’s a 43 year old closer coming off major surgery. He can’t get the guaranteed money he’s been getting, that’s just silly.

MultiFan634

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 20, 2012
Washington, DC
So Mo is thinking of retiring. Honestly, it’s probably for the best. This is a cash strapped team looking to cut costs and maintain guys like Cano. The best place to trim payroll on this team is in the bullpen. So in addition to Soriano opting out I think there are a LOT of more effective ways to spend $25M-$30M than on two relievers.

I’d still love to have Mo back, especially since he probably won’t factor into $189 at all, but it has to be for a realistic price. He’s a 43 year old closer coming off major surgery. He can’t get the guaranteed money he’s been getting, that’s just silly.
I would really just like to see him close one more game... that's all. He can't go down like this. It's always sad when that happens.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Is he entering the last year of his deal? Would be pretty awesome if he just restructured his contract and took a huge pay-cut seeing how he's coming off that injury and all that.

Very wishful thinking, yes.

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
Yeah, Rivera's contract ended this year, and Soriano's ends next year. The Yankees need to get back to earth with regards to relief pitcher salaries. I don't see Soriano opting out of $14 million when he can get a sweet multi-year deal next year. It would be one hell of a deal to make him walk from that.

edit: 14 million, my mistake.

Last edited:

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Even better then. Mo should just take like $750k and all will be good.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
I hear Soriano is opting out for a multi year deal instead of returning to being a setup man behind Mo.

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
I guess that would make sense as it would make him perceived as "more valuable" as a closer (despite throwing the same 1 inning of relief in close games with leads). Plus, there's no guarantee teams won't be offering 2011 Soriano a contract, instead of 2012 Soriano.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
The Yankees bullpen will have several fine internal options going forward.

Montgomery has the potential to be an elite reliever, and we should see him some time next season. There are rumors that Betances will make the move to relief soon, and I think his stuff will play up more than enough to offset his awful mechanics. Then there's Phelps, Warren, and Stoneburner (who most pegged as a reliever when he was drafted), who are ready for the show, and Pinder who isn't too far either.

I can't imagine an all rookie bullpen or anything, but that's more than enough talent to supplement the veterans in Robertson, Chamberlain, and Logan.

ORIGINALJOECOOL

Don't F*** with the Original!
Nov 1, 2002
Well, Grandy and Cano are back,...hope Mo comes back cuz it would suck for his career to end like this.
I'd also like to see Ichiro back, taking Swish's spot in right.

MultiFan634

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 20, 2012
Washington, DC
Don't come to conclusions about Swisher just yet: Deals worth $13.3M for one year and being offered to Swish, Kuroda, and Soriano.
If rejected, to the free agent market they go.

ORIGINALJOECOOL

Nov 1, 2002
double post away! That's great news. Hope he stays healthy next season and is able to retire on a high note.
No more shagging fly balls! Can't wait to see his first game back. He should get quite the reception.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
The Yankees bullpen will have several fine internal options going forward.

Montgomery has the potential to be an elite reliever, and we should see him some time next season. There are rumors that Betances will make the move to relief soon, and I think his stuff will play up more than enough to offset his awful mechanics. Then there's Phelps, Warren, and Stoneburner (who most pegged as a reliever when he was drafted), who are ready for the show, and Pinder who isn't too far either.

I can't imagine an all rookie bullpen or anything, but that's more than enough talent to supplement the veterans in Robertson, Chamberlain, and Logan.

Exactly. Bullpen just isn't an area of need on this team. I know Mo likes to be paid significantly above top dollar is is willing to threaten to leave to teams like the Red Sox to get it, but if he isn't willing to accept a realistic contract and he can find another team willing to overpay him, then they really need to let him walk. If he wants to make his final tour in another uniform, that's his choice.

Last edited:

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
Swisher, Soriano, and Kuroda all rejected the 1 year deal. I don't think there are many who were surprised by that. I do hope they continue to pursue serious talks with Kuroda.

MultiFan634

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 20, 2012
Washington, DC
Swisher, Soriano, and Kuroda all rejected the 1 year deal. I don't think there are many who were surprised by that. I do hope they continue to pursue serious talks with Kuroda.
I knew Swish and Soriano were going to leave, but I'm surprised about Kuroda. It's too bad. Soriano and Kuroda are great pitchers, and that's really what the Yankees need.

Sep 24, 2005
New York
I knew Swish and Soriano were going to leave, but I'm surprised about Kuroda. It's too bad. Soriano and Kuroda are great pitchers, and that's really what the Yankees need.

It was just the qualify offer. Soriano and Kuroda are working on deals with the Yankees now.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I know that both are recovering from TJS, but I'd much rather see the Yankees give one or two year deals to Madson and/or Soria than to recommit to Soriano for three or more years. The budgetary constraints seem very real, and I imagine the team could nab both for less than Soriano will make this season.

I wouldn't argue that Madson or Soria have little risk, but I will point out that Soriano has a very spotty health record. Moreover, he is only a season removed from being a fairly middling reliever - he's far from a sure thing.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Why spend any of their budget on the bullpen other than a reasonable 1 year deal for Mo?

It's the one area of the team they are consistently good at and they strongest area of their farm team.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
I am generally against signing any bullpen arms, but it seems as though the Yankees are dead set on bringing in some additional "proven" bullpen arms. If that's the case, it makes the most sense to roll the dice on Madson or Soria, who could likely be had on one-year deals.

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
Many big name players recovering from big injuries like to get single year deals to prove they are back, then get multi-year deals after that. I don't know if the same would apply to a bullpen arm or not, but it definitely seems possible to get them for just 1 year.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Outside of Swisher, you picked the two people who are most likely gone. Soriano and Ibanez have close to zero chance of returning. Ichiro is a possibility but Ibanez I really doubt.

Where is Ibanez going to go?

I just don't think the Yankees have any interest in him. They only reason they signed him is because he was cheap. He was a good value for the amount of money they wanted to spend. I don't think that is true anymore.

Sep 24, 2005
New York
Outside of Swisher, you picked the two people who are most likely gone. Soriano and Ibanez have close to zero chance of returning. Ichiro is a possibility but Ibanez I really doubt.

Where is Ibanez going to go?

I just don't think the Yankees have any interest in him. They only reason they signed him is because he was cheap. He was a good value for the amount of money they wanted to spend. I don't think that is true anymore.

You don't think the Yankees have any interest in the guy who quickly became a fan favorite, who won't get a starting job anywhere? He's going to be a DH at best. I think he's the one guarantee to return to be honest. I'd be very shocked if he didn't return. Who is really going to offer him a lot of money to DH? If every deal is the same why wouldn't he take the Yankees deal?

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
You don't think the Yankees have any interest in the guy who quickly became a fan favorite, who won't get a starting job anywhere? He's going to be a DH at best. I think he's the one guarantee to return to be honest. I'd be very shocked if he didn't return. Who is really going to offer him a lot of money to DH? If every deal is the same why wouldn't he take the Yankees deal?

I don't think they have much interest in him because he's not very good at baseball. He came up with some huge hits that made up for it, but that's not something I'd be willing to bet on him repeating with any consistency. Especially as he gets a year older and a year worse.

It also seems they are going for a platoon in RF with Hariston. For platoon in the field I'd much rather have Ichiro or even Dickerson and I don't think they can platoon multiple positions so Ibanez and a platoon DH vs LHP isn't going to work again this year. Unless you platoon Ibanez with Nunez who doubles as the BUI.

Since they are going cheap, maybe you are right.

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
Why is it bad? What if it means they can now go back to disregarding the luxury tax?

frdrizzt

Drizz in my pants
Jul 2, 2001
Long Island, NY
Why is it bad? What if it means they can now go back to disregarding the luxury tax?
It may help short term, but eventually the loss of annual revenue from YES would likely surpass the amount they get now. It depends what they do with the money they get from the sale and what the long term profits from YES would be. If it turns into a poor investment we may see Hal & Co looking to recoup profits from other avenues. I don't pretend to know a fraction of what they & their advisers know about about what their investments and businesses are in terms of profitability.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000

Because YES is essentially a cash cow. Most of this initial sale comes from Goldman but if Fox ends up owning 80% the Yankees stake will be significantly cut. And the contract YES has with the Yankees is undervalued so a lot of the money made on the team comes through owning the TV network. In addition, there has been speculation for some time now that the family is looking to sell the team. One of the rumored buyers was Fox. Could this be the start of the sale in pieces? While the brothers haven't been nearly as good of an owner as their father was towards the end, I'm still not sure I'd prefer to see how much Fox can improve from their days of owning the Dodgers.

Last edited:

ORIGINALJOECOOL

Nov 1, 2002
Sucks bout Jeter....but I'd rather have him miss more time and come back healthy than risk it just to get back earlier.

Yeah...good thing we have Nunez....for his bat. Now if he can only learn how to catch and throw.

Very happy Kuroda is back. Hopefully Cervelli doesn't get screwed over again and gets the back up catcher spot this time,like he was supp to last year.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
The Yankees have been picking up catchers left and right this off-season. It's not looking good for Cervelli.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Looks like the Yankees were busy on the first day after Thanksgiving break. They signed the following all to one year deals...

Pettitte - $11M
Ichiro - $5M
Mariano - $10M

MrMVP91

Say My Name
Feb 10, 2009
So as of right now, the payroll obligations for 2014 stand at $68.125m. This doesn't include Cano's probable extension or Jeter's player option ($8m/$3m buyout), and obviously some arb-eligible guys, but that's still a lot of money to play around with assuming they'll still want to stay under that $189m mark.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
So as of right now, the payroll obligations for 2014 stand at $68.125m.

That can't be right.

$27.5M for A-Rod.
$24.5M for C.C.
$22.5M for Teix

And you are above that number already.

Last edited:

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
Oh, that's the actual salary. The cap number is the AAV of the players contract though, not the actual amount they are payed in that particular season.

rocknrollsisyphus

★ MOD
Feb 9, 2011
If Cano ends up re-signing with the Yankees, I would be shocked if the cap hit for the four was much below $100 MM. You also need to factor in insurance, benefits, and other random costs, which most sources point to as being around $10 MM per season. With that in mind, I'm guessing we're talking about $80 MM or so in salary to play with.

For a smart team, that's plenty for 21 players - particularly when you consider many of those spots would be filled by league-minimum or arbitration-eligible players that won't be making too much (Phelps, Pineda, Robertson, Gardner, Nova). In my mind, this off-season isn't really the time to dip into that pool of funds ... at least when looking at free agents. I will always have a soft spot for Greinke, but that's essentially the beginning and end of free agents worthy of a long-term deal out there (while I do really like Angel Pagan, he'll be 32 next summer).

2014, however, has some interesting prospective names. Brian McCann, David Wright, Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, Matt Garza, Josh Johnson, and Tim Lincecum are all slated to hit the market next winter.

sdevito

Super Star
Nov 19, 2000
If Cano ends up re-signing with the Yankees, I would be shocked if the cap hit for the four was much below $100 MM. You also need to factor in insurance, benefits, and other random costs, which most sources point to as being around $10 MM per season. With that in mind, I'm guessing we're talking about $80 MM or so in salary to play with.

For a smart team, that's plenty for 21 players - particularly when you consider many of those spots would be filled by league-minimum or arbitration-eligible players that won't be making too much (Phelps, Pineda, Robertson, Gardner, Nova). In my mind, this off-season isn't really the time to dip into that pool of funds ... at least when looking at free agents. I will always have a soft spot for Greinke, but that's essentially the beginning and end of free agents worthy of a long-term deal out there (while I do really like Angel Pagan, he'll be 32 next summer).

2014, however, has some interesting prospective names. Brian McCann, David Wright, Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, Matt Garza, Josh Johnson, and Tim Lincecum are all slated to hit the market next winter.

Also, the number is for the 40 man roster so it would be for 36 players, not 21.

Sure most of them will make the league minimum but even then you are looking at more like $70M for 21 players. And you figure Hughes and Jeter will probably take another $20M of that...